i'll trip back to you
[html]ooc: The date doesn't matter to me. Set around mid-afternoon, perhaps?

It was the private sense of loss that hurt the worst; the kind that could not be shared with another, and never would be. Shandom found himself turned more and more into his own spirit, spending the lazy days of summer alone in various spots around New Dawn. He was a wraith of sorts, a shadow on the borders where he should have been a beacon - the Qi'Vaex man was not adequate for his position, and he knew that. Moreover, he was not adequate for his pack. New Dawn was a place for wolves to come together, and be a family. If Shandom were being honest with himself, he wasn't quite sure he was ready for that. He wasn't sure if he'd be ready for that with anyone, except perhaps Naniko.

He had to go back and see her. There were no words for how much he missed her; the ache lived in his very bones, and permeated the air that he drank so greedily on this high paced voyage away from the Dawn lands. Large white paws beat the summer earth with a sort of ferocity that he could not attribute to anything in particular; perhaps it was simply his overwhelming desire to escape whatever confines held his soul. But it felt right now, as it did many times, that his heart was deep in the caverns of Anathema, tied to the beautiful jade eyes of the Angela. He'd made a mistake by pushing her when she clearly wasn't ready, and he'd made a mistake by not telling Zalen he was wrong about Naniko, and the Anathaman leadership. It was nothing he could fix now, and so he fled.

It wasn't a focused journey; all Shandom knew was that he could not go to Anathema, and he could not return home. He could not shake the ghost on his back in either place, and he didn't much care for the South. For whatever reason, Shandom chose to stay in the shadow of the mountains and the bitter north; when he was feeling dramatic, he wondered if it was a reflection of his iced over soul. But, if he were being honest, the Gamma knew that he was simply making it worse for himself by staying trapped in his own mind.

He stopped when the unfamiliar scent of a pack began to interrupt his thoughts, and he thought that he might be able to fulfill a bit of his duties while he meandered away from New Dawn. The Gamma slowed his run to a tentative walk, and his scarred expression narrowed in upon the strange markings that seemed to line the scent border. What on earth... Shandom murmured to himself, ears flicked back in nervousness and confusion as the four pawed creature drew nose to nose with what appeared to be a wolf's skull. Where the hell am I?

[/html]
[html]

Vesper had learned a lot about ravens, and one of the more surprising details was how similar they were to the clan coyotes. Observing them, she learned that they were cunning and opportunistic, and that they were heavily devoted to their families even if they often bickered amongst each other. Many even learned words of the same language, and it was interesting to hear their croaking conversations peppered with high speech.

Plus, the birds liked to play.

The coywolf yapped laughter as she chased after one of the young females, leaping up and stretching out her pale forepaws to bat at her tail-feathers. With a few strong flaps of its wings, it flew out of reach and added in a loop for good measure before barking back at the canine. She grinned and growled in response before whirling as claws hooked in her tail. She snapped at the culprit, who soon initiated another game of “catch-me-if-you-can.” This time, it didn’t take long for even more of the others to want to join in, and soon they began to pursue each other, some locking claws midflight and swapping obscene banter.

Eventually, the ravens became so caught up in messing with each other that Vesper was abandoned. Her tail wagging, she panted and grinned up at them, watching their dark shapes wing agilely through the trees. It was strange how a reluctant partnership with just one of the fascinating creatures had led into such respect and fondness for the whole Inferni flock.

Stark would get a kick out of hearing her admit that.

The scarred Centurion grinned and took a seat, tucking her tail against her haunch. She let her eyes half-close as she enjoyed the sounds of rustling leaves and flapping wings, at least until an alarm call had her jumping back onto all fours and staring at a newcomer. The bird dove at her, attempting to land on her back and stumbling slightly. She turned her head, ear swiveled forward, and listened as it clacked about a wolf near the borders. Using accented raven-speech of her own, she thanked it and promised it meat after she’d taken care of the issue, and then she turned northward with a grim frown.

It was a relatively straight shot to the staked boundaries of the territory, and she made it in as fast a lope she could manage, while conserving enough energy to fight if she needed to. As always, she prayed it didn’t come to that, but meetings with wolves at the borders rarely turned out pleasant. Her stomach twisted with anxiety as she finally trotted closer and saw a large arctic wolf staring at the skulls.

Her dappled hackles stiffened, but the small coyote did not growl when she caught the stranger’s scent. She tried to think of Zalen’s promises, tried not to pass judgment, but her expression was suspicious and tense as she stepped up to the border with her tail raised. She might not have bothered with such dominant posture if she didn’t know how alive wolf instincts could be; this might be a challenge, but it might also simply show who she was and ask him to show some respect.

“What are you doing so close to our borders?” Vesper asked coolly.

Word Count → 544

Fine with me! ^^

<style>
.ves-wolfskul {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Nyfj3.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#181718; width:500px; margin:0px auto; padding:315px 0px 5px 0px; color:#686468; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia;font-size:12px; line-height:16px; word-spacing:.3px; border:1px solid #000;}
.ves-wolfskul b {color:#d4c5a3; text-shadow:#000 1px 1px 2px;}
.ves-wolfskul p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.ves-wolfskul p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; border-top:1px dotted #d4c5a3; margin:15px 15px 0px;}
.ves-wolfskul .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; font-size:11px; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; float:right; margin:20px}</style>[/html]
[html]ooc: I honestly have no good excuse for the delay and poor quality of this post.

The Gamma's pale face as still twisted into an expression of confusion and general repulsion, and the hackles along his spine raised ever so slightly as he pressed his cool, damp nose against the strange surface. It didn't smell any different from a normal rock, if he were being honest; years of decomposition, he assumed, rendered it about as harmful as one of the pebbles that littered the ground around him. Still, he knew what they were and it made Shandom want to never, ever associate with this pack. But they were so close to New Dawn; horrific images ran through his mind as he thought about the danger his family might be in. Part of him, though, had to be grateful that Anathema were further - the idea of Naniko's pretty head being used as some morbid kind of marker made the Gamma physically ill.

A female scent drifted on the wind, and Shandom internally scolded himself when he looked up to see the small coy-woman so close to him. Despite her significantly smaller stature, the Gamma was reminded of danger when he looked at her. Scars mottled her lithe body, and there was an air of authority around the grey woman that made the Qi'Vaex man suspect she was in a position of power in this strange pack. Her voice was cool when she spoke, and Shandom, reminded of the manners he'd been taught his whole life, barely stifled a warning growl. Still, the Gamma did not back down from her, instead letting his mismatched and half useless gaze meet hers.

Forgive me for my curiosity - the skulls of my brothers litter your borders, and I could not help but take a closer look, Shandom drawled, his deep voice lacking its characteristic friendliness. The Gamma did not understand, did not want to understand - these people, it appeared, were murders. He would never really understand coyotes, but he never could have imagined that there would be a pack, clan, family, whatever they called themselves; that decorated their borders in such a vulgar fashion. It was remarkably unclassy.

[/html]
[html]

Vesper tried to be understanding when it came to how others viewed her clan, but there was little she could to when others grew aggressive. She believed that many Inferni practices were justified, at any rate, and hated it when she couldn’t make others understand them—namely, that the dark fire clan largely had its bad reputation due to others striking them first. Coyotes were hated and cast aside, and they became a threat when banded together—and, therefore, wars began, trouble started, territories swapped and blood spilled. She did not make excuses for some of her comrades—those who hated wolves as much as wolves hated their kind—but she did not tolerate harm to her comrades, either.

While her posture was confident and untroubled, the small she-yote was actually quite tense as the large arctic wolf stared at her. She made quick note of his damaged eye, and judging from the age of it and the rest of him decided he would be used to protecting that side, compensating for his weakness. Perhaps if she attacked him without going for the obvious target, she could catch him off guard—but no. She ended the thoughts there, even if they weren’t entirely harmful; she could easily scuffle with another canine for fun without killing them. If it did come to a fight, however, she knew it would have far more serious consequences than a sparring match, and she did not want to jeopardize the relationship she’d cultivated with New Dawn. The two groups were distrustful of each other as it was.

The white male spoke predictable words, and she had to fight off a smirk. Every wolf immediately took the skulls as a personal affront, and while it was nice to see a species band together, it was pathetic as well. Unless the wolf meant his actual blood brothers were hanging on a stake, he was foolish and unoriginal for pointing out what he did.

Vesper drew herself up slightly more (as much as a small, lupus-formed coywolf could) and grinned openly at him. There was a touch of derision in her eyes, but not outright hate, and she spoke in an oddly good-natured (if rather sarcastic) tone. “I assume that your brothers are trespassers, murderers, and rapists then?” she challenged him. “If so, I have no pity for them, you’ll have to understand.”

She shook her head and grinned again. “Actually, good wolf, if you were to walk around the borders and study the skulls, you’ll notice there are even some coyotes to break up the monotony. Or, at least one—a pup-killer. Oh, and a pretty elk skull somewhere—but I guess that sorry beast didn’t deserve it.” She shrugged her shoulders. “We’re so barbaric.”

Word Count → 458

Aw, yours was fine. This one mostly consists of Vesper making fun of him. xD

[/html]
[html]ooc: Sorry he's so rude D: He's just super thrown.

The woman spoke with acid on her tongue, and Shandom made the quick internal judgment of dislike a solid feeling. His dark lips twisted into a deeper sneer as her sickly sweet tone berated his question in a most derogatory fashion. So this girl - and that was what this coyote hybrid was to him, merely a little girl - thought herself, and her clan, so high and mighty? Adorable. He could feel the infamous temper of his youth bubbling more rapidly in his veins, and chocolate eyes flickered briefly in anticipation of an argument. Perhaps he could use this girl as a way to vent his frustrations. Naturally, of course, he didn't consider the consequences of antagonizing a woman on the edge of her own territory. Such things didn't occur to the short tempered Gamma when hew as in such a mood.

You defend your pack - oh wait, Shandom laughed suddenly, his dark eyes narrowed upon the saucy female. This isn't a pack, now is it? Coyotes don't know how to stay together - no, you're just out for yourselves. His voice was deceptively light, but the Gamma was practically quivering in agitation as he turned towards the skull again, nudging it with his cool black nose. Tell me, what did this wolf do? Did he trespass? Was it on purpose, or did your kind just kill him because he isn't the same?. The smirk, now, had twisted into a bit of a snarl, and Shandom lifted his eyes to the strange gray woman's.

I've never had a problem with coyotes, the Gamma stated, his rich voice low and barely controlled. But this? This makes me think that the prejudices some of my kind hold against you are right. It's disgusting.

[/html]
[html]

She was flawed, just like the rest of them. No creature liked to think that they were wrong; all took pride in their species, their religion, their morality. They were right, and any beast that thought otherwise was a heretic. Vesper had been on both sides of the same coin, and it was a struggle to switch it back around again and open her eyes and ears and pay attention. In short, she half expected the wolf to just bow his head and concede her point and leave them alone—but life was never that easy or simple.

His laugh made her narrow her eyes, but there were no other signs of aggression from her. She had the grace to listen, at least, even if it was only because she relished the thought of tearing apart his theories and opinions like so many refresh rabbits.

The darkness in his tone, as well as the harshness of the questions, caused an odd expression to come to her scar-riddled visage. It was not quite angry itself, except perhaps in a defensive way, and there was a little bit of something like hurt in it, too, although that quickly went away. She shook her head once, stiffly, and replied in a softer tone.

“We do not call ourselves a pack, no, but we operate like one. True coyotes are usually out for themselves, yes—my mother among them—but that is nature, and that is not unlike many lone wolves. Some of us have reasons for not belonging.” Such as herself, an independent loner, before the friendship she forged with the clan gave her purpose and became her purpose.

She took a deep breath. “I will not lie to you,” Vesper said plainly, and fixed her eyes sharply on his so that he might listen. “I have the same excuses you wolves use, and we coyotes use, to justify our inane hatred for each other—that a group has done wrong, a wolf has bullied, a coyote has scavenged, and so the entire species must be evil.” It took more control than she’d admit to keep her voice from shaking. Her chest burned with hatred taking form as hope—that this was a chance to persuade, one she might never get again. “My wolf father raped my mother, assaulted my sister. Wolves came here just recently and waged war on us because of our species, because some god of theirs decreed it, and little else. I do not blame my comrades for distrusting them, even if I have no problem with wolves, either—we’re all canines, and we can breed together, and most of us are hybrids anyway.” Her eyes hardened as she followed his gaze.

“That wolf tried to kill one of our children, and almost beat to death the child’s mother.” Vesper’s tone was devoid of emotion. “If we killed him for being 'different', it was because he was a murderer, and I’m sorry that you cannot see that.” She took a seat, continued to stare at him. “If you have nothing else to say, if you will not stop pretending to know our motives, please leave. I am again honest when I say that I don’t want this situation to escalate.”

Word Count → 536

Had to longpost instareply because I like this. And Vesper surprised me by being ubercalm about it.

[/html]
[html]ooc: no worries <3 have a rare insta-reply by Rosie right back atcha

After the mini-tirade, Shandom couldn't help but feel slightly guilty, and it showed briefly in his mismatched and half useless eyes. He didn't know this pack, and didn't know their customs; wasn't that why he moved to New Dawn, at the end of it all? To get back to his roots, and live as it felt natural for him? Essentially, that was exactly what the coyotes were doing. It was true that Shandom didn't agree with their lifestyle, or their choices, or their choice of decor, but he also didn't know the stories surrounding any of the skulls. Nor did he know this woman in front of him, whom he'd just berated almost entirely unnecessarily. Shandom was a quick tempered man, but his mistakes had taught him to be quiet when he was wrong. And so when this woman opened her mouth to speak, her words softer than before, he listened.

Some of the things he wasn't sure about. Shandom could not deny his doubt that this group of coyotes behaved anything like a pack - it was impossible, after all, for them to mimic the true nature and hierarchy of a pack of wolves. Hell, it seemed like in today's day and age it was impossible for wolves themselves to do that. He thought briefly back on his time at the Court and nearly shuddered. How could he have been so stupid so as to join a place like that, where wolves walked on two legs all the time and dressed like humans? At least this coyote stood on four legs, and he liked it that way. Additionally, she hadn't tried to kill him. Shandom quite liked that, because fighting women - and defeating them - was never on his list of things to do.

He sighed, and let silence linger in the air after the stranger told him that he should go if he couldn't be more tolerant. Shandom knew his weaknesses, and knew that he'd lost his cool too quickly, and so the Gamma sent her a slightly embarassed smile. I'm sorry. You're right, he sighed, shaking his head and looking at a point on the horizon slightly beyond her shoulder. I don't know your clan, and I jumped to hasty conclusions. I've simply never encountered a friendly place that decorates its skulls with borders. I'm... I'm sorry for the war you've recently gone through at the hands of my kind.

It had been a long time simce he experienced war, but Shandom knew that it left scars on both the collective and individual conscience. He would not pretend to know this woman's story, nor would he bring it up; regardless, he could not help but want to apologize on behalf of his race. But that felt cheesy, and forced - for a moment, he was not sure what to say. In place of adequate conversation, the Gamma instead offered his name. I'm Shandom Qi'Vaex, of New Dawn. I'm sorry for the way I came across your borders. It was... rude, and unbecoming of me.

[/html]
[html]

Vesper tried to pretend that she did not care. She presented herself to the world as an aloof individual with a stake only in what was immediate, what was intimately hers—but all of it was a carefully crafted lie to keep her weaknesses at bay. The truth of the matter was that the coywolf did care, and her speech to the white wolf bordered on manic, smoothed over by cool tones but vibrating with the passion erupting in her chest. She hated the prejudice and the hate with a dangerous chaos, a chaos barely directed to her cause. At her heart a wannabe revolutionary, the yet-young hybrid wanted to be able to pretend she’d done any good before she died. Even if she managed to bring about the opinion of one hateful wolf, one wolf who curled his lips at her species without stopping to understand, she would feel accomplished.

It was all pathetic and sad, really, and she knew she would hate herself for all of this emotion in the morning.

And then the impossible happened—the half-blind wolf shot a smile her way, a smile devoid of the acidity she’d been expecting. She shifted her paws slightly, the only sign of awkwardness after her calm rebuttal, then turned her good ear forward when the older male began to speak, apologizing, and apologizing again on behalf of “his kind.” Those words made her look at the ground for the briefest of moments, wondering why he felt entitled again, but she didn’t reject the apology.

The tawny female nodded when he gave his name. “Vesper,” she responded with a light nod of acknowledgment. A half-smirk tugged at her lips when he mentioned New Dawn, confirming what she had suspected, but it was a weary one. She shook her head at the last apology and stifled a sigh. “I forgive you,” she stated, and wondered just how much of that was true and how much she trusted him to be ashamed. He’d sounded quite passionate, and while she felt her return argument was logical, she knew it wouldn’t dispel the aggression of a likewise heated wolf. “I understand that the skulls—that the skulls can easily bear the wrong message, for those who want to see it. What we see as a warning more violent wolves see as a threat, and the cycle is never-ending.” In truth, the skulls made her uncomfortable just because of how much trouble was generated from their existence—but she couldn’t imagine taking something like that away from the clan. Like their wars, the skulls were Inferni’s history, and rooted too deeply in Inferni’s culture to ever change that.

Vesper shifted her paws a final time and decided that, if Shandom would be civil and stick around after their verbal scuffle, she might as well lighten the mood with less serious talk. “How are Zalen and his mate doing?” she asked, and added despite herself, “And Kiara and her daughter, too, if you know them?”

Word Count → 500

[/html]