there is black coal filling up our homes
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... a/ctop.png); background-color: #74693D; background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

_____This time around she stuck closer to home, literally checking out the backyard that was just as much of a forest as parts of Inferni. Just like the old home over the mountains, the forests were thick and overgrown, scarcely touched in places and definitely just starting to get broken in. It had been raining off and on most of the day and in the dense forest of pines, it still felt like it was going at times. Some drops of rain were perfectly suspended off of the edges of the dark green needles, and some where sliding right off of the bundles just like it didn't matter.

_____Needless to say, by the time Corona had found a cabin, she was a lot more than just damp. An overhead grumble of thunder with a gust of wind told her that another storm was about to roll in, so she simply took shelter in the old structure. She forced the door open and stepped inside, not even noticing anything off about the place until the musty air had settled and the first few drops of a hard cold rain had pelted the grime on the windows. She knew the smells that were in there and they were both a relief and yet of concern to her. It wasn't fresh, but Corona recognised it to be long to Laruku. Just one of many people she had wondered about recently. If he was around, there was a chance that Ahren and Jasper would be too.

____It answered one question, but left her with another.

[/html]
[html]

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... header.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#162022;">

sharksHe knew he ought to explore the rest of the areas eventually, but he found that he didn't really want to see what the other packs were up to. Dahlia de Mai and Inferni were at war. Part of him still felt guilty that he had not stormed the wolf pack as soon as he discovered that they had taken his niece, but the rest of him knew somehow that it wouldn't have done any good. Even if he did manage to save Talitha somehow without getting the both of them killed, then what? The war would not end like that, but he didn't know how else it might either. So he had wandered away from them both, sort of. For the while, he would trust that Gabriel would take care of things like he'd always done. Even if he had been the one to start the fire, he had gotten the family out safely, hadn't he?

sharksThe last several days had been depressingly aimless, and the rain hadn't helped much either. For a while, he thought he'd stumbled into areas that his father had been in as recently as a week ago, but the water made scents more difficult to pick out. He thought he was glad to know that the man was still alive, but the idea that a monster lurked in him somewhere still scared him. For a while, he had thought that maybe his brother had lied to him about that, but Laruku had admitted it himself, so that couldn't be the case. Dragging a damp, heavy cloak, Arkham gravitated automatically towards the cabin when he saw it. Such shelter was a hard thing to find in the middle of the forest; he wondered who had built it so long ago? And why? The door was open and he stepped inside, shaking his head a bit. His hands had reached halfway up to remove the cloth covering his face, but then he spotted the woman that was already there.

sharksOh, I'm sorry, he said politely, Is this your house?

[/html]
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... a/ctop.png); background-color: #74693D; background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

_____If she could find Laruku, maybe she could find out where Ahren had gone. Or Jasper. Maybe even Misery, if she had hung around or not. She could have been back in Inferni pestering the daylights out of Gabriel, but Corona didn't think he would know. It wasn't like the rest of her siblings had ever had that big of a connection to their father, but she had. But then again, all of her family was important, it was something that she had learnt to hang onto. Too many lonely nights on a boat out in the middle of the ocean had made her realise that. Standing still as she studied and old sunlight-faded painting on the wall, she heard the door start to open.

_____And the figure that came in, well… he was distinctly a coyote by features alone. “Oh! No… this isn't my house. It belongs to someone I know, though.” His actions caught her off-guard like she had him, but his appearance caught her even more off-guard. Red eyes, now there was a sight that wasn't overly common outside of a select few areas. “I don't think he'll care too much if she stay here to stay out of the storm though. It doesn't seem like he's been around for a while as it is.” She couldn't take her eyes from the younger man though, or maybe he was more of a boy.

_____But why did he have a cloak on?

[/html]
[html]

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... header.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#162022;">

sharksShe looked eerily familiar, though he was sure he'd never met her before. Clearly a hybrid, he thought he could smell Inferni on her though it was hard to tell with the scent of rain still fresh in his nose. At some point when he was younger, he had wondered about all the siblings he had never met -- the missing numbers of Gabriel's large litter, the missing brother from Samael and Ahemait's litter, the ones that'd come before. He had wondered where they'd gone and whether they'd ever come home; he hadn't understood because wanderlust had never gripped him. Even now, the lack of a permanent place was unnerving at times. He didn't like not having a place to go back to, even there was technically nothing keeping him from Inferni but himself. Though Skoll had claimed that the division was mostly circumstantial, with a name like Lykoi, Arkham did not want to even attempt to join another pack.

sharksAh, he said, nodding, and pulled a chair out from the kitchen table. His cloak was soaked, heavy and cold, but he didn't know if he wanted to take it off, especially if the stranger with him was indeed from Inferni, or better/worse yet, a member of his family. His mask was a separate piece from the cloak, but the markings on his back very much resembled his mother's. Who's this friend of yours? Living in the middle of the forest alone? He fiddled with the tie to his cloak but made no move to take it off, Kharma, by the way, and you are...? He had almost gotten used to the fake name; at least, it didn't taste so much like the lie that it was anymore.

[/html]
*stares at some of the very obvious errors in that last post that she just noticed today* :| (ps - this post fails.)
[html]

_____He didn't make any move to remove the cloak, though he did make himself comfortable. It drew out her suspicion and for the same reason she didn't make any move to sit, at least not yet. “His name is Laruku,” she said, trying to shake the ideas that her (still) vivid imagination conjured up. Though he introduced himself as Kharma, she couldn't help but already think him as an assassin or a rogue of some sort; good reasons to keep himself concealed. “And I'm Corona.” Surnames of course, were unimportant for the same reasons—who knew who the other was, really?—and purely out of habit for her.

_____Still, those red eyes… “I'm sure there's a good reason you're wearing that cloak and that it's not really my right to suggest this, but you should probably take it off.” Not that she thought he would, but it was worth a shot. “I doubt a cold would be very good for trying to hide with.” Of course, she was going with some idea that he had to be some rogue-assassin, one of those funny characters she had seen at ports. Some acted like royalty, and once hadn't there been the fellow in the knight armour get up? She had never figured that one out and probably never would.

[/html]
[html]

*does that all the time* D;

sharksHe might have been ashamed that he hadn't noticed that his father's scent, while a bit stale, also hung in the air of the house, but any surprise did not register on his half-hidden face and the coyote only flicked an ear forward in response. The woman gave her name as Corona, but he still could not decide whether or not she was a relative. It was moments like these that he wished someone in his family would think to record all of their connections somewhere. If they had some sort of family tree displayed on a tapestry in the living room, then certainly he could have spent his childhood mulling over and memorizing it. As it were, no such thing existed for the Lykois, and Arkham could not remember Gabriel ever really talking about his littermates, except in the case of Baneesh. Still, he felt like the woman's name was as familiar as her face. She seemed to be about Gabriel's age, after all.

sharksThe younger hybrid nodded and smiled apologetically. You're right, he said, But I haven't got another cloak and this isn't my house to rummage through. Mentally, he made a note that finding an extra outfit would probably be a good idea for the future. For a while, he considered Corona's relationship with Laruku. How did they know each other? Could she be trusted? As she said, he really didn't want to catch a cold. If his father had been around, Arkham felt like it would have been all right to shed his disguise in his presence. It was doubtful that the man would run off to tell anyone, anyway. But even if Corona was friends with him, could she keep the secret after knowing what the secret was? Then again, as much as he knew the Aquila cared about family, he doubted very much that Gabriel was actively searching for him, especially if Rachias had gone out alone for that purpose.

sharksIs there a fireplace in here? He glanced around and had his question answered almost immediately. Adjacent to the kitchen was a modest living room with a worn couch, a sofa chair, and a bear-skin carpet lying in front of a stone fireplace. How kitsch.

[/html]
Rofl, yay for describing the cabin thing because I had no idea. >_>; *wondered about that also and just runs away with things now!1*
[html]

_____When it came down to appearances, the only thing Corona had gotten out of it from her mother was her unique build. She took mainly after Ahren in appearance, especially the older she had gotten and even at that, there weren't too many like her who ran around possessing a coyote's frame with the full markings of a wolf overlain. But for the same reasons, she had been able to go between both wolves and coyotes without too much scrutiny. Too easily chalked up to some other reason for not being tall, or some other unfortunate event. But now the fireplace had caught her eye and simply to avoid standing in the same place for too long, she moved to investigate it.

_____It had been used before from the look of it and much to their luck, had a half burnt log sitting there. Good sign, but now the next problem would finding something to light it with… which to her luck on the mantle above it, were matches. Though there was a certain level of unease in having her back turned to the still cloaked man, she managed to get the log lit without too much trouble. At the very least, if it didn't warm up the chill that had crawled into the corners of the quaint cabin, it would get the damp out of the air. “At least we can dry off now.” Corona wasn't going to push him to reveal himself, just as long as he didn't try anything funny. It was his right, anyway.

[/html]
[html]

I didn't know what anything looked like either. Big Grin

sharksArkham, though his first birthday had passed some weeks though, still retained a lot of his youthful awkwardness as far as appearances went. He still had not grown into his ever-enormous ears and his body remained thin and lanky with limbs that seemed just a little too long for the rest of him. His coat was rather plain, generic of many coyotes, and he had inherited his mother's saddle-like black back. The wolf in him was not so prominent, but considering his father also seemed to have very little of his wolfish side, it was not a very big surprise. For the while, though his ears still stood straight up on his head, his cloak hid his modest build, as well as the assortment of weapons and tools that were strapped to his waist. Maybe he really did look like an assassin after all.

sharksHe stood from the table and made his way to the fire, setting on the floor on the edge of the bear rug with his back to the fresh flame. Ever sentimental it seemed, the first thing he thought of was the rainy summer nights he'd spent back at the old Syemv house, rather than the violent fire that had forced him from his home. Funny how destructive something so useful can be, huh? Arkham looked up at the other, I used to love sitting in front of fireplaces as a kid. In the distance, thunder rumbled again and the skies had continually darkened. It was very nostalgic.

[/html]
Oh well. XD
[html]

_____She nodded, finding irony in his words. Corona could recall a few times herself when there had been a fire to warm her, but that had been in France. Before that, she had been young enough that getting warm meant finding someone who was much bigger and crawling beneath them and their selective warm spot. That was of course, before she discovered the wonders of things like blankets and quilts. She missed those memories and for the most part, had tried to let them go. They wouldn't happen again, not in a million years, she guessed. “It must have been nice,” she mused, wondering what kind of childhood he had been fortunate enough to have.

_____“I spent my childhood between parents and then I lived in France for a while. We had a huge fireplace made of some kind of smooth stone. Certainly beat nice cold days to curl up in front of it with a book, that's for sure.” A small, if not a bit sad smile graced her face for a moment before fading away. France had been wonderful as far as the culture and the beauty went, but the time there had been thorny and in their own right, chaotic. She and Conway had gone their separate ways there, as she had with a lot of things. But as always, things changed. They never stopped changing, this she knew all too well. Thunder sounded once again, this time giving the old windows a rattle in their frames, and she opted to change the subject.

_____“Do you read much?”

[/html]
[html]

sharksFor him, the warmth of the fire had always been easier to find than the warmth of a body. It almost seemed like his mother had disappeared as soon as they were old enough to venture out of the den. He and Andre had always been at odds, Rachias had run off to live with their father, and his older half-siblings had all seemed intimidating in their own way, even if they hadn't meant to be. He'd had a huge family and a wonderful house to live in, but Arkham had spent a lot of time on the beach alone, watching the ocean. Even now, the loneliness stayed with him and he was starved for any sort of company, any sort of conversation at all.

sharksFrance, huh? That's across the ocean, he noted, What was it like there? Travel had always been something he'd considered half-heartedly. It was something to always think about, but when it came down to it, he had never cared enough to actually go anywhere. Besides, the ocean was vast and infinite. Sometimes he still had a hard time believing that it ever ended. He couldn't imagine the amount of time it must take to cross it, and very frankly, the idea of being adrift so long scared him. If a storm wrecked your boat in the middle of the sea, what could you really do?

sharksA little, he said of reading, Not as much as I probably could have. It had been, once again, because of his prevailant apathy towards everything then. Books were nice, but he hadn't cared. Storybooks and children's tales had sent him off to happier places, but he had been able to get the same dreamer daze by watching the sun set and listening to rain against his window. That was all the escape he had needed.

[/html]
[html]

_____“It was… different, to say the least. I didn't really spend too much time over there.” At first, France had been so incredibly odd that Corona didn't know what to think about it. But like everything else in her life, she had adjusted quickly. Then things had gone remarkably downhill. “Over there live in the cities, they use the human things much more than those here do. Currency, their weapons, whatever was left lying around. Very prideful sort of people,” and in a sense, very much like they were in the end. The log popped in the quiet that followed after her, not really sure what else there was to say about it.

_____Maybe someday she'd go back over there, but Corona wanted it to be a long time from then, not just a matter of weeks or months. Not until everything was just in the world again, however futile that attempt always seemed to be. “Some of my family is still over there, but most of it came back overseas after a while. I don't know if they're still around or not, since we're all so scattered.” Truly, she missed how close they all had been at some point, divided by the forest and the beach. That way she had always known where everyone was; it gave her comfort, gave her a reason to go and visit. “Sometimes it's kind of lonely when you don't have them to go and talk to.”

[/html]
[html]

sharksHe listened with the mild interest of someone who knew he would never see the place being described to him. Vaguely, he remembered someone else having described the world beyond the ocean to him, but the details of it were gone. Still, it wasn't that hard to imagine. Having grown up in a house, he figured much of his family was fairly humanized; all the more reason to think that this woman was a part of it, he supposed. A lot of people around here are getting more like that. I wonder how long it'd take for us to become the same? The coyote himself didn't know whether he meant the same as the European wolves or the same as the humans, but he was not all that interested in the philosophy of it all. Perhaps those sorts of things were just where evolution took them, nevermind the push they'd gotten from the rubble. In the end, it didn't really concern him.

sharksArkham nodded, though perhaps he was a hypocrite. He was lonely, but he was putting himself in a situation that called for it. After all, there he was hiding his face from someone that was likely a sister, so what could he really say about not having family to talk to? I don't know, he said after some consideration, I have a big family. Grew up with a ton of people around, but I always felt pretty isolated from the rest of them. More and more though, he figured that was mostly his fault too. He just hadn't cared enough.

[/html]
[html]

_____She knew about isolation pretty well too. Though she had always been around loads of family one way or another, Corona was forever trapped between them. She didn't call herself a coyote and she didn't call herself a wolf, so sometimes, she was simply conflicted. Gabriel was firmly rooted in serving Inferni to the fullest, whereas someone like Jasper wouldn't have been able to do it. She had been on both sides of the line and even now, some odd three years later, she was still just as conflicted as the day she had been when she started to grasp both of their ideologies.

_____“That's how things were for me in France. Probably why I didn't stay there very long, when I think about it. All of these people around, all of that family around, just not really much of a connection. But it was a hard time for me then too, so who knows.” Sometimes she wondered if the indecisiveness in her would ever go away. Corona wanted to belong somewhere, but she wanted to make those around her proud of her. She wanted to live up the name she had, she wanted to live up to what was expected of her and most of the time she felt like she was doing a better job of failing that than succeeding. Hell, her own father hadn't even wanted her and she knew down somewhere inside that her mother didn't want her either, because she couldn't, or wouldn't, make up her mind.

_____“Where are you from, anyway? If you don't mind me asking, that is.” She couldn't resist prying; someone who had a few things in common when it came to a background was sometimes a bit of a relief. Someone out there shared the same sort of story, even if they had totally different childhoods. For all she knew, maybe he came from half a world away. Or just maybe, that growing hunch in the back of her mind said that he had grown up a hell of a lot closer than she thought—those red eyes were strangely familiar the more she thought on it.

[/html]
[html]

sharksArkham had never really struggled with species alliance, though he was well aware of his hybrid heritage and had seen his sister struggle with it to some extent. At some point, he had wondered if his father had ever struggled with it -- as far as appearances had gone, he had been a coyote leading a pack full of wolves. Then again, despite the obvious relationship with their mother, the man had not seemed particularly fond of Inferni, or at least, had no interest in visiting any more after Kaena vanished. Of course, there was also the matter of his apparent psychosis; it was something he wanted to find out more about eventually, but there are other things he needed to find answers to first. Vaguely, he wondered how much Corona knew about Laruku.

sharksSometimes I think family is the hardest to talk to, he said, They expect something of you. Or something. So he wondered further, if this woman really was Gabriel's sister, and if he had given his real name, how easy would their conversation have been? Would it still have gravitated as much towards family? He shifted a little so expose a different portion of his cloak to the fire and considered an answer. I don't know, he replied decidedly, turning to her and grinning a little. Cop out answer, I know, but I spent so much of my childhood with my head in the clouds that it probably doesn't matter where I actually was. What about you?

[/html]
[html]

_____He wouldn't say, but that was okay. Corona could understand a few reasons why anyone would want to cover up their past and hide their identity in the present and future time. It was for the same reason she never gave her surname out to strangers and it wouldn't have mattered which one she decided to go with. There were those who hunted the de le Poer's just as much as the Lykoi's, and there she stood in the middle of both points.

_____“I was born on the other side of the mountain a couple years back,” and really, it seemed like it had been more than two or three years. But she didn't feel that old at all. “I haven't really lived there much more beyond a year though. Travelled around mostly.” And went to France, but they had covered that little factoid already.

[/html]
[html]

sharksBy that point, Arkham was almost certain that Corona was Gabriel's sister, and it was hard not to call her out on it. He was happy to know that they seemed to be getting along all right, and that their conversation felt natural and casual. Perhaps he had just always favored his sisters over his brothers. Ahemait had always doted on them, and Rachias had been his only friend. It was then that he noticed that she had blue eyes, the same as her; he'd never seen anyone else with eyes that color. Inferni was all red and yellow. Corona would know his name eventually though, he didn't plan on lying any more than he had to... just until he figured out why Gabriel had done what he'd done, and just until he decided whether or not he could return to Inferni with the same faith he'd had before.

sharksHe nodded. I've never been much of a wanderer, the coyote said, I don't think I'll ever cross the ocean, anyway, as interesting as France sounds. He laughed, I nearly drowned in the sea as a kid, and I guess I'm still afraid of water. It was a light admittance. He'd since learned to swim and was reasonably confident of his abilities. Still, he avoided it if he could.

[/html]
[html]

_____Corona had always had good luck when it had come to the ocean, at least from what she did remember. She had been pulled out once but had managed to swim back and most of the time when they had been out to explore the coast for the first times, it had either been her mother or father that kept an eye on them. As though they knew just what would happen. So maybe his fear of water was well-placed, and the fact that he had almost drowned in a sea didn't give her many reasons to doubt he wasn't tied to Inferni from one time or another.

_____“It's not really that much fun travelling across the sea. After a while, all you see is days and days of endless water all around you.” But that wasn't nearly as lonely as it sounded. At least it hadn't been for her, but she had managed to keep herself busy one way or another during that time. Shifting a little bit in front of the hearth, she sighed. “Though one of the most amazing sights you can usually only see out there is how the stars move. It really gives you a sense of how big the world really is.” In her case, she had been going south, so after a while even the sky had become unfamiliar.

_____But that was what had made it all interesting, too. “But if you ever get over your fear, you should probably try it. Just once. Pick a spot on the map and just go there for no reason. That's what I did, anyway.” After France, after home, she had just picked the next place she heard about. Now she was back almost where she had began and for the most part, perfectly fine with that. They all found a groove occasionally and stuck in it.

[/html]
[html]

lol, your double negatives made me all whaaaaaaaaaaat. Or triple negatives, really, if "doubt" can be considered negative. D;

sharksThough his general apathy towards the world and everything in it had greatly diminished in the time he'd spent away from his family, Arkham still was not all that curious about all the details of the world that lay beyond what he could see. Europe had been described to him several times by now, and it was always an intriguing description, but in the end, he wasn't sure what exactly could be gained from such a journey, especially if the journey itself would be variably unpleasant. The size of the world could stretch on forever, but he felt insignificant enough just watching the sun recede into the ocean every evening. He didn't need to be an isolated speck on a boat with no anchor point at all to realize that.

sharksMaybe, he said, partially to humor her. There was, of course, the chance that his inevitable meeting with Gabriel would go badly. Even as he snuck around in a mask and continued to hear doubtful things about Inferni, there was a part of Arkham that believed that his eldest brother had a reason what he'd done, if only he would explain it. Still, if that wasn't the case, the coyote would have to decide what he was going to do afterwards. Inferni was the only family he'd ever known. He wasn't sure if would ever feel completely comfortable around his father. And where else did he have to go? He was grown now; he had all the world to make a home out of, if he wanted. If he wanted.

sharksSomeone once told me that everyone went on journeys to 'find themselves' when the time came, he said thoughtfully. I'm still not sure I understand what that means.

[/html]
I'm actually really disappointed with myself for doing that, too. Ugh. *beats head on a wall somewhere*
[html]

_____Finding themselves? Well, that was something Corona felt like she had been doing all of her life. But maybe it wasn't so much of finding herself as it were finding what in the hell it was that she just happened to be. More wolf than coyote, but born on the soil where the coyotes ran gave her privileges to go and continue to play in their sandbox. Even Gabriel was more of a wolf (and looked more like a dog) than he was a coyote and there he was at the helm of the whole thing. They had debunked the whole Inferni-is-for-coyotes thing, though Gabriel didn't call himself a wolf. He called himself a coyote.

_____Corona didn't know what she was, she had never figured that out. “I don't think I can tell you what it means either,” she said with a forming frown. “I went travelling just to see what was out there, I guess. I don't think I've ever needed to find myself. Maybe it's just a figure of speech.” But maybe that was what she was doing, finding herself. Maybe they spent their entire living finding out who they were and the moment they found out who that was, they died. Just fell right over and dropped down as a door nail. Brain aneurysms, heart attacks, strokes, maybe old age didn't have anything to do with it. It was a nice thought, anyway.

[/html]
[html]

sharksIt had started raining again outside, heavy droplets pounding against the dirt and leaves outside. The wind rattled against the windows, and thunder rumbled threateningly in the distance. Identity was a peculiar thing, more internal than external, and more complicated than most people realized. More and more, Arkham was beginning to dissociate "coyote" with "Inferni." As such, he did not have to grapple much with species-identity -- he knew he was a hybrid, and there seemed to be plenty of other hybrids, so whatever -- as he did with family-identity and personal loyalties. It was still a conflict of heritage though, still something about the blood. He fought with the idea that the name "Lykoi" was a dirty word.

sharksMaybe, he said again, quietly thinking the same. It seemed to be such an elusive goal, finding oneself. No one ever seemed able to do it, so perhaps those that finally succeeded were met with instantaneous death. That's a little depressing though. If you couldn't find yourself, what could you really find?

[/html]