written on our hearts and souls
Iskata's heart had been hurt lately but there was nothing more she could do today but step forward as a leader and perform her duties. Normally she would have called the others to her porch, the site that had somehow become their meeting place when there was work to be done, stories to be told, or just friends and family to gather. Today though she sat in the backyard, the cool shade of the gazebo was just as sweet if not sweeter than that of the front steps. The scent of cattle was weakened by the powerful breeze that was blowing off the ocean tonight, she had her back turned away from the house as she surveyed the beach beyond, the pier standing out stark against the white and blue of the ocean, a sight that had stood the test of time, something she hoped their pack would do too.

She'd thrown her head back and called to the corners of their lands, knowing that their pack was spread across the way. Her own home was in the center of the territory, so she knew she would probably have a few moments to wait before the band assembled. There was a number of reason to call the meeting, reward rank changes to those who had been working hard at finding their place, placing new duties and responsiblities on those seasoned members, and the discussion of their own protection and safety. Hel and Deuce would join her in place to speak to their family, their friends. Iskata and Hel had both found favor in the idea that Deuce had placed before them, now to find out how the pack would feel.

Her own worries and issues were not a concern to those she watched over to these lands. No one needed to know her history, no one needed to know her worries.. but there was one thing she couldn't help, a thought washing over her along with the sound of the rushing sea. Inferni once more had shaken the foundation of her world, her daughter locked away within the clan's wasteland.. no knowledge if she lived on or had died at the hands of a mass mind corrupted with hate. She closed her eyes and listened to the waves as time passed slowly by.
[html]

Ah!

Why had she slept so much? The question was repeating itself over and over in her head. She still had no real answer, but had given many excusses. Of course she was just tired, or it was too hot out and the weather gave her no motivation. But in the end the day had been wasted away behind closed eyelids.

Thankfully she had wondered over to the cattle fences, taking her normal place along the wooded beams and continued her quest to brighten up the entrence to the ranch. She had planted the flowers from the northern fields along one side on the road and fence, but it still in need of balancing. She stood, knees and paws covered in soil, looking at the task she had ahead of her. She partly wanted to walk away and leave it all for another day, but the decision was actually made for her.

The call came from Iskata’s cabin, its volume so high that it filled her ears and drowned out any other sounds. Being so close she only had to trot to make it there in a few moments. She slowed to a walk as she approached the back of the house, her ears lowering and tail swishing behind her slowly.

“Afternoon, Iskata.” The blue eyed female smiled, happy as ever to be called to meet with the rest of her family. She had yet to meet the entire pack, and was eager to see all their faces.

[/html]
Deuce had been on her way to find the matriarch of the pack when her call had risen. She'd wanted to see the woman, see how she was doing. She knew of the kidnapping of Isk's daughter, Haku had told her. She wanted to see if anything had been heard from Phoenix's daughter. Deuce nodded to Anu and sat down near Iskata.

It was a lovely night. Too bad Iskata was dealing with such dark things.
Asmodai walked up, putting the heavy issues weighting down his thoughts to the back of his mind for the present. It wouldn't do to have the wolves here asking questions. Nevertheless, even while he didn't stare at them directly, he felt the knowledge of Soro's death gnawing at his consciousness, and the impending battle made him slightly queasy. The fact was, he could still run, and that was the hardest part. He knew what he needed to do, but without anyone supervising him...the temptation to abandon this mission, and all of the costs it had demanded was strong. Nevertheless, he couldn't erase the price it had already exacted.

He bowed his head silently to Iskata, seating himself in the quickly forming circle around her person. He imagined that Hel and Deuce would soon take seats to her right and left, and then the subject of the meeting would be announced. He wasn't certain what this might be about, but it strained him to keep up his act right now. He would rather be alone to his thoughts than keeping up this charade to ensure that Phoenix Valley wasn't worried or clued in.
[html]

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... corner.jpg) no-repeat;">
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... _right.jpg) no-repeat top right;">

Sorry it has taken so long D: My muse has been dying for a while. *attempts to breathe life into it*

The past couple of days, Styx had been walking on clouds. Ever since Hel had told him that they would have puppies. He still couldn't quite believe it was true. He'd been on his way to get some more firewood when he'd heard Iskata's call, and had changed direction to see what it was she wanted.

He was, he noticed, among the last to arrive, and he licked his muzzle in embarrassment as he snuck in and sat down. Of course he wasn't invisible, even if he might have hoped to be so, so he smiled a little and waved.

"Hullo," he said, his British accent not quite as obvious as it had been when he'd met Hel for the first time. He peered curiously at the lady he hadn't yet met. He'd noticed her scent around the area, of course, but her face was new to him. "Sorry if I'm late." Hel should be here soon too, he was certain.

[/html]
[html]

*wanders in sheepishly* Also, this will be the first time people know of her pregnancy Big Grin

[Image: header.jpg]

She'd been lying on a straw matress, the same one she and Styx used when they slept. Her fingers idly caressed her now protruding belly, her mind on the life inside her. A few more weeks now and she would give birth. She hummed a melody to herself, the tune something she'd heard her mother's cousin sing, the tune of sorrow and loss, for the female in question had been small, scrawny and unfit for Asgard training. Her dark hair fell around her face and her blue eyes seemed unfocused, almost blind to her surroundings. There seemed to be a wistful mood in the air, one that Hel embraced. When Iskata's call came, at first she did not break her singing, instead closing her eyes, closing herself in more.

Outside the house, she heard Styx walking past and her heart clenched. Yes, she should go. But sitting like this, in warm sunlight, her whole being focused inwardly, was bliss. She could almost not bear to break it. Hel was a warrior, and a leader, and one Council member had called to them all. Slowly, as if disentangling herself from cobwebs, she got up and stretched. Absently, she grabbed her burgundy red cloak and tied it over her shoulders. Everything done slowly, as if she waa barely awake. Her steps were slow, her gaze unfocused.

Eventually her body seemed to waken and she strode more confidently. Her singing stopped, she tied her hair back in her ponytail and walked confidently to the meeting place. The first thing she noticed was that she was the last to arrive. She noted that Anu was there, so was Styx, the leaders were waiting and Asmodai seemed to be close to their golden leader. Hel took her place with Deuce and Iskata, making no show of her now visible pregnancy and taking the time to nod at each individual. The fay, playful mood was gone. Here stood the black warrior. Apologies to everyone for my delay. Iskata, Deuce, what is this about? Her tone, which had been soft in her song was the casual, cold, decisive one they were familiar with. Only when she locked eyes with Styx for the briefest moment did she seem to lose the icy exterior and be the future mother again. But only for the tiniest second.

[/html]
ooc: Powerplay Iskata if in 3-4 days it's my turn to reply and I haven't given made any sort of reply to this thread saying I see it or I'm about to post. I can just step in and out with Iskata since the whole pack can be throwing ideas and thoughts about. No real posting order is needed.

Vannah, you can go ahead and use the information about Inferni taking wolves hostage and exploit their violence in the past to your character's delight to stress the need for an escape plan.. XD Some justice for Iskata's evilness towards Deuce and all.

Iskata had smiled softly at the packmembers as they appeared, her heart slowly aching as she tried to push the thoughts of her family and friends aside as they gathered. Deuce to one side and soon after it seemed that Styx and Hel joined them as well. A soft smile had been granted towards the grey and black wolf as he'd appeared and settled close by, and another towards Anu, who had shared a few days alongside ISkata helping to better the farmlands. Iskata was impressed with her skills with plants and how well she could coax life out of things that the silver and gold lady thought were past their prime... but her mind had short time to think on such things as Hel arrived.. and well, the Matriarch's mind suddenly was surprised, something she hadn't been in a while.

She hadn't failed to catch the blooming swell upon her fellow council member and a soft misty eyed smile was granted to the strong collected Warrior as she settled to the other side of Iskata. Turning her eyes to gaze at the dark lady once more Iskata didn't speak the obvious to the pack, though it show through in her eyes. A soft murmur low enough for Deuce and Hel was all that resulted. "I take it we'll be needing a Parere sooner than I thought.. and I have just the one in mind." she turned her eyes towards Deuce as a slight hint of the old Iskata shone through for a moment before Hel had reminded her of the matter on hand.

Turning towards the pack she greeted them all with a nod before speaking up on the reason for the gathering. "Thank you for assembling so quickly.." she called for a moment before trying to find her words. "We called you hear today to speak on a serious matter, our own safety. It's obvious that these lands are bordered by the ocean for a long stretch.. which can be good.. and bad." she turned towards Deuce for a moment, knowing that she was mostlikely the only one that really could remember so long ago when Inferni had been out for blood.. not to much different from today. "Once there was a pack that's lands were much like ours.. and they were caught trapped between the sea and their enemy.. Many friends were lost then and I don't want to see history repeat itself." her words were firm though there was a whisp of pain to them as she tried to hide from her own memories.

She nodded towards Deuce and admitted. "Deuce had the idea of manning and maintaining some boats or vessels to aid in our favor if such an attack ever presents itself again... which is a possiblity..." her words trailed off as her eyes begged Deuce to finish where she'd left off. She didn't want to speak of Inferni, not with the current situation at hand.. not with her daughter's life caught in the balance. She knew Deuce had a strong dislike for the clan but Iskata didn't think that the lady would use the current situation to her use or not... Iskata knew she well enough would deserve it after their last meeting if she did.
"Once there was a pack that's lands were much like ours.. and they were caught trapped between the sea and their enemy.. Many friends were lost then and I don't want to see history repeat itself." Deuce had been part of the pack the matriarch had spoken of. Syemv. She'd been pregnant with Shadow then, Erik had been dead. Deuce lifted her chin, and spoke when Iskata finished.

"We all know Inferni is out for wolf blood. I was part of the pack Iskata spoke of. We were attacked out of the blue. We had pups killed, in cold blood, by their leader, Kaena. Gabriel's mother. Unlike Gabriel, Kaena didn't take hostages. I feel had Syemv had some sort of plan in place, that those pups could have lived, that the pack could have fled, in it's entirety, to safety.

I want us to have some sort of plan in place. I was talking to Asmodai here, when the idea occured to me. There are coves and boat launches up and down the coast. We can hide boats, rafts, something, and have it prepared when the time comes that Inferni turns their gaze on us."
Her voice was steady, certain. Inferni would turn on them. The war with Dahlia would cease to amuse them, and they would strect their paws out as far as they could.

"We can either find boats or canoes in the huma land, or I've been reading on how to make rafts. Each has their pros and cons. We'd like to know what you all think, since this would pertain to all of you learning new skills as well."
[html]

Thought I would reply, but Anu is just to much of a scaredy cat to say anything.

Violence scared her, and made her heart hurt. The word war was something she understood, but had never truly experienced. She didn’t understand why there were beasts out there that wanted to hurt her family, when they were such peaceful creatures. The words her Matriarch and Shaman spoke angered her, though never to the point of violence. If the moment came where she would need to defend her pack, she would, but thankfully no one spoke of offensive retaliation.

Boats scared her too, the idea of having to flee from her home in a watercraft did not settle easily with the sandy female. Her craft was handling soil and plants on solid ground, not teetering logs on water. The passive fey could only watch the faces of the other wolves she shared the ranch with. How would they respond to such terrifying new? Maybe after someone else had spoken would she express her feelings.

[/html]
[html]

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... corner.jpg) no-repeat;">
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk42 ... _right.jpg) no-repeat top right;">

Smiling at Hel, love overwhelming his heart for a moment as his eyes fell on her belly -- they would be parents! -- Styx then focused on what Iskata was saying. And his heart fell.

Boats. He felt vaguely nauseous. No, not boats. Not again. Just the thought of feeling those rolling waves under him made him want to throw up, and he swallowed down the sudden flood of saliva in his mouth.

Ears flat in worry, he listened as Deuce confirmed his fears. But his eyes fell once more on Hel's belly. It was for their sake, wasn't it? To save them from attack. He nodded, more to himself than anyone else. He could do it. He would do it. He might look like a pathetic rat afterwards, clinging to ground and swearing never to go back out there, but if it saved their children's lives, it would be worth it.

Learning new skills, eh? Well, Hel already could man -- woman? -- a boat. But Styx? Styx knew how to cling to the bottom of the boat to not fall over. Oh, and to bail water.

He raised his hand a little to call Iskata's and Deuce's attention to him. "Umm," he started. "Can I officially state that I'm not too happy about it?" He shot an apologetic look at Hel. She'd know why. "But like you said, if it's necessary, it is. And I'll do my best. I think that boats would be faster -- something about their shape, I believe?" Another look at Hel, this one questioning. "And they have edges to prevent pups to fall overboard." Not to mention me! he wanted to add, but kept it inside.

[/html]
Iskata smiled wearily a the family around her as their fears shown on their faces and in the words they spoke. She nodded agreement to their concerns as she sighed and assured them. "The escape plan would be our last resort... " she didn't want the pack to think that they were going to drill every spare moment until they knew every type of knot to tie and every term and name associated with ships and the world of boating. She smile once more as she commented. "Believe me, as much as I like adventures.. I do have my limits." She had learned with time how to stay upon a boat, but the first while had been hell for the metallic lady.

Her eyes turned back to the two leaders as she continued on, knowing they would put in their own two sense if it came to it. "Boats it is then.. There's still quite a few in the harbor towns.. perhaps we can scout them out and see if any are still waterworthy." Her eyes sparkled as she turned her eyes back to Hel's mate and stated firmly. "We'll make certain every craft has a hold to keep children safe.." she paused a second before stumbling on, the last part of her comments hadn't been something she'd talked to the counsil members about. "I think one or two of us should check out the islands off the coast.. I'm not for certain if we'd be able to just sail off and land a ways away. Any enemy may think to set up sentries along the lands to watch for a return.. IF we had a station set up incase such an emergency arose.. then that's less worry to test to later."

She faced the whole of the pack, her fellow leaders and the rest of her family as well as she waited to see what the thoughts on the idea was. Turning away from the conversation of the boats and escape plans for a moment she brought up another topic that needed addressed. "As well, Anu, our newest member is ready to take on a few new roles in the pack. Congratulate her on her rise to Tenens, and for her new role as pack Parere.. as it seems we'll be needing one soon." she grinned towards Anu before turning her eyes on Hel and raising a brow. The Matriarch wondered if their Warrior would speak on her own congrats that were due.
[html]

HAI GUYS I SUCK CAN YOU TELL?

[Image: header.jpg]

Hel was about to go and try to explain that the pack need not change structure for her birth, that things would be different for only a few days but that she would still be there to protect them. However, it seemed the other two leaders had thought of ways beforehand. Boats. It nearly made her laugh. Instead, she exchanged a glance with Styx and smiled to herself. Iskata seemed quite intent on the matter and perhaps this would be a chance for them all to decide on a plan. A plan to save them from this Inferni threat. She clenched her fists and stood up, her eyes blazing. She had come into her own, a true leader at last. I know how to man a boat. I do not know how to build one but there are sure to be books in the human towns and those among us who can understand them can help. I will gladly lead expeditions to the islands, to set up some camps there. I suggest that of the Council, only I go, so our pack is not left unguarded.

She paused and looked at all of them, her expression intent. They would need training, all of them, they would need to fight. She could give them that. We will need to fight any threat. I alone am no match for large parties. We all need to improve our skills. I can train those who wish to fight. Again a pause, as if to catch her breath. Her hand touched her belly and she softened visibly. As to anyone still puzzled, I am indeed pregnant with my mate, Styx. I do not wish for the pack activities to change. These pups will come into a loving world and they will be our family but until the time comes nothing should disrupt Phoenix Valley. Sitting down, she seemed somehow smaller. As if all the wind had gone out of her. But really, Hel wasn't sure if her last statement had been an acceptable one to make. She wondered what her mother had done while pregnant and for a moment wished for her comfort. Remembering none would be had there, she simply shook her head and waited for everyone to respond.

[/html]
Closed since the only original members left are Isk, Hel, Deuce and Styx.