every step that you take is a gamble with death
[html]

Word Count → 512 :: Out of Character text

Willam had garnered some supplies from her trip into Halifax, a portion having been tossed into the supply room. of course she had mainly gone to get things that she desired. It wasn't really for personal gain though. Or not entirely at least. She wanted to hunt large game for the clan to enjoy. She wanted to show that she could contribute, even if it was only to add meat to their bellies. Because of that she had secured some rope so that she could put together a rough travois. It was something she had learned in la Chemin and had used for each hunt. Once she got it put together she hitch it to Châtiment for him to drag, as had been his purpose back in la Chemin.

"There. Just like old times, isn't it?" Willam patted the stallion's neck as she spoke. She also added the thick canvas across the horse's back. She had learned that if kills were covered as they were being transported the scavenging birds would be unable to get to them which meant that more meat was being brought back. "Ready to see what we can get?" She was again speaking to her silent companion. For now Willam walked in her two legged form so that she could keep easier watch of Châtiment and also so that he would follow. The equine had learned that he was to stay put when Willam was in her lupus form. It is what kept him out of the way when they were hunting in la Chemin.

Willam headed towards the Moors where there always seemed to be plenty of prey roaming about. So while she knew where to get food from she wasn't exactly certain how she was meant to manage on her own. She was used to working with others, them chasing it down to where she was waiting to ambush the creature and end its life. But that wasn't exactly possible without the multiple party members.

Once she had reached her destination she stopped near the tree line so that she could observe the area and watch the grazing deer. She was trying to figure out her plan of attack. Even though she wanted something she figured that maybe she could pick off the fawns. It wouldn't be as swift a death as she would want as it would be a lot of sneaking in to attack then retreating from the mother only to sneak again once the mother looked away again. She might even get lucky to drag the fawn further away from its mother. But would she be able to get enough to feed the clan that way? She wasn't even certain exactly how many bellies there were to fill. Willam supposed that she could go without a portion if she needed to and she could gather something smaller for herself. Or maybe she could use smaller prey to supplement what she couldn't get from the larger creatures. After all she had to get better at fishing and that could only be done through practice.

<style>
.coyote1-box {background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ ... qiurgw.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:80px; height:103px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.coyote1 {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.coyote1 p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.coyote1 p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.coyote1 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.coyote1 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.coyote1 b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+386

The collie hybrid rushed at her, and Vesper spun away, dealing him a shove with her hind paw as he careened past and spilled into the high grass of the moor. She pivoted, her dark-tipped tail held smugly out behind her as her newest student pushed himself onto all fours, shaking his tricolor coat. He narrowed his eyes at her, as if were somehow her fault he’d lost balance.

“Why do I have to learn to fight in lupus?” Asher asked, one of his ears flapping as he shook his head again. “You saw what I did to that poacher—”

The scarred coyote snorted. “You were fighting that poacher like a cat—all wild flailing and a hell of a lot of noise.” She flicked her tail dismissively. “Besides, you’re a master at archery,” she said, copying his speech patterns briefly, “and I’m a master at this. So we’re teaching each other, and you’ll have a chance to school me later. Now, pick yourself up.” She pricked her ear, waiting for him to do so, and immediately darted for him. Clumsily and loudly, he yelped and scrambled away, displaying gaping jaws. Her teeth clicked painfully against his, and she drove another snap at his face, which he intercepted. She bounded away again, keeping one eye on him at all times, as he recovered.

“Hey—look, a horse!” Asher barked, and she sneered before realizing he’d completely dropped all pretenses of fighting. Seeing that he’d been an open book so far, she didn’t suspect a trap anymore and followed his amber gaze. A smoky black stallion walked at the edge of the meadow, accompanying a stocky luperci figure that the scarred she-yote recognized. She frowned, briefly, but decided to push her misgivings and approach, beckoning for the coydog to follow.

The Centurion made sure that she was in plain sight as she approached woman and horse, not wanting to spook the beast. Her blue eyes flicked to the odd wooden poles strapped to the horse, but it didn’t look at all like the torture device around Willam’s leg. Curiosity piqued, she smiled and greeted Willam with a short yap. “What’re you doing there?” she asked, keeping her voice friendly rather than questioning. Presenting a warm demeanor was easier with the coydog beside her, grinning an overly-excited grin.

<style type="text/css">
.vespstalk b {font-weight:bold; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk t {font-style:italic; color:#ab4a19; letter-spacing:1px;}
.vespstalk .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.vespstalk p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vespstalk {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#f1f3f2; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/6fnz0w.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#7d7e7d; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 351 :: Out of Character text

Willam glanced over at the sound of the voice. She bowed her leader when she noticed it was the subleader. Even though she had finally forced herself to speak with the leader Willam still felt awkward in the in presence of those that were in a position of power. This was the second time that Vesper had happened upon Willam just standing around and staring. She was certain that such didn't really leave a very good impression. But once again the large female was studying what it was that was in front of her.

"I was planning on hunting but just trying to figure out the best way to go about it since I want to bring back enough for everyone to eat." Willam explained exactly why she was just standing around instead of acting. "The Aquila said I should ask the scouts about hunting but I'm afraid that I haven't learned everybody's ranks and skills yet so I was trying to figure out how to do it by myself." And well, she didn't want to intrude on others and interrupt whatever they might be doing. She didn't want to seem like she was trying usurp whomever was the leader of the hunting party by making a request that they should join her instead. Too many worries ran through Willam's mind as she always seemed to be figuring out how things could possibly go wrong and end up leaving her in trouble for it.

"If you have something else for me to do instead then I will forgo this venture until I have completed whatever it is that you desired first." Willam figured that either the other was checking up on her and making sure that she was actually making herself useful or else had some task in mind to make certain that Willam was doing something constructive and not just lazing about while using up resources that belonged to the clan. She wasn't used to those above her taking interest in her on a personal level but always thought that it was always about some sort of task or another.

<style>
.coyote1-box {background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ ... qiurgw.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:80px; height:103px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.coyote1 {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.coyote1 p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.coyote1 b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+405

The tricolor coydog flashed Vesper a big grin when the stocky woman bowed to her, but Vesper’s expression discouraged him from making a comment. It might have seemed like a joke to him, the male who even dared to playfully boss the Centurion around, but Ves knew that such a gesture coming from Willam was probably completely serious. It made her uncomfortable, only because she remembered the tyranny she’d seen in the little coyote gang as a yearling. Others had deferred to Oliver, and she did not want to be thought of as like Oliver.

Willam’s remark about hunting made Vesper smile and nod. “It’s nice to see that you have taken the initiative,” she praised, her words more formal than she was used to speaking. There were sadly few proper hunting parties in Inferni, mostly because the coyotes scarcely needed large kills to sustain them; most hunted rabbits or mice on their own time. Occasionally a couple would team up to kill a smaller whitetail or a similar creature, and Vesper always found those endeavors kind of fun, even if hunting as a pack was supposedly more “wolfish.” It suited the hybrids to have various hunting styles, though.

“That’s fine,” she said when Willam mentioned not knowing the other’s ranks. “Technically my rank isn’t in the scouting tier, but I consider myself a part of it.” She jerked her muzzle toward the border collie mix. “And that’s Asher; he’s only a Tirones, but he’s in the same tier.” She was considering how to say more when Willam went on, and she waited until the young woman had finished before shaking her head and grinning.

“Actually, I have an idea—since we’re both Lumen coyotes, more or less, we could accompany you on a hunt? I know where one herd of deer likes to browse at the edge of the moors, so perhaps we could take one of them down. That way you can accomplish what you wanted—with help.”

Vesper flicked the coal tip of her tail across Asher’s snout to keep him from commenting, although the young hybrid seemed content to just stand and study Willlam and her horse curiously. Ves was looking forward to a hunt, however, as a way to exercise and do something different than she normally did. It might also allow her to get to know the enigmatic newcomer as well; seeing her in action would definitely be interesting.

<style type="text/css">
.vespstalk .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.vespstalk {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#f1f3f2; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/6fnz0w.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#7d7e7d; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 676 :: Out of Character text

Ah yes, Willam was sincere in her reverence. She was still getting used to the fact that Infenri was much more laid back than what she was used to. She had to learn still that the leaders here were constantly on on pedestal. That the leaders could be spoken to and met with on a day to day basis for just friendly encounters. But even though they were approachable they were still respected by their members.

But Willam was showing signs of improvement for she wasn't as anxious as she had been at their first meeting. Of course she still worried and fretted as was in her nature to do. She didn't want to do something seen as wrong and disrespectful because of all the freedom that she was given. It was why she was willing to give up her personal endeavor to go do whatever Vesper wished her to do instead.

Willam smiled slightly when Vesper didn't find an issue with what Willam had in mind. She didn't even seem troubled that Willam still knew little about the rest of the members. But what really came as a shock was when Vesper actually offered to hunt with her. Willam knew that not everyone liked to hunt in a group but she enjoyed it. There was an amount of camaraderie there. Willam also fought less nervous on a hunt and felt almost equal to everyone else. Plus she enjoyed knowing that she was doing something to give back to the rest, that she had actually taken part in something to provide for everyone else in the clan.

"Thank you, I would enjoy that. I'm not the quickest when it comes to a chase. I was usually the one to ambush as I was among the larger ones in the hunting party." Willam gave a brief explanation of what she was used to while hunting. "I am willing to follow your lead and do as you advise. I simply request that a place near where we hunt be found for Châtiment. I'd like to keep him out of the way but still close." Willam really hoped that such wording didn't come off as a command as she really didn't mean it that way.

In order to make up for it just in case Willam went on to explain. "I've built a travois for him to pull. If he is nearby we won't need to take the kill too far to put on the travois so that he could drag it back to where everyone else is. I had thought everyone could be called together to share a meal." She had figured that it would be easiest to meet everyone over a meal. What better way to make everyone relaxed and complacent than with a full belly? "Of course that is only if you would allow for such a thing. I wouldn't wish to call everyone together without your permission." Again Willam was deferring to Vesper's will. Willam was doing all that she could to ensure that she didn't accidentally end up stepping on any toes.

Willam reached over and stroked the stallion's neck. "You don't have to worry about Châtiment. He will stay where I leave him once I shift. I've always hunted on four legs when in a group. I hope that will work well with what you have in mind. Otherwise, if I remain on two legs, Châtiment will continue to follow." Willam had no idea how to train the horse to stay put no matter what form she was in. Because of that she had always stuck by what training that he already had. It was simplest the easiest way to assure that things went the way that she wanted them to. And well, Willam would rather have that assurance of success than to waste time on something that may or may not work out. Plus it wasn't as if she trusted her own abilities. She didn't have the belief that she could teach Châtiment something else and have him listen and obey her.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

I'm really sorry for taking so long on this! +440

Group hunting was something that Vesper had rarely tried, only because she found it hard to balance the skills and assets of other canines and trust them to do their part, especially after relying on herself for half her life. It was simplest with only one other—like the time she’d brought down a deer with Max—but she knew that it would be a lesson for her to adjust to even more individuals. She was the Centurion, and she needed to get used to commanding the clan and giving out orders much like she might on a hunt. So, in a twisted and philosophical way, this would be a test for her.

Meanwhile, Willam seemed eager to do her part for the clan and to please the leadership, and Asher seemed excited to do anything at all with anyone. She envied their simple motives.

The stocky coyote explained her usual position then requested a place be found for the horse; Ves glanced dubiously at the herbivore. Willam was quick to go on, describing the contraption attached to the animal and her intention with the kill. Nodding, Vesper considered this. “We’ll find a place for him—and I don’t really mind if you call others. I can’t predict how many coyotes will show up, of course, and how much food there will be for everyone.” She knew that many liked to take their meals alone, and that one whitetail probably wouldn’t feed the entire clan even if they did all gather. Swishing her tail, she added, “I don’t mind calling others as long as you’re calling them as a fellow member—like, inviting them to come to the meal, and not demanding them. But I’m sure you knew that.” She flashed the woman a grin. “I’m sure they’ll be glad to have a hunter helping provide for them anyway.”

Some of the doubt on the subleader’s face vanished when Willam mentioned that the horse didn’t follow when she was on four legs. Vesper still wasn’t comfortable around the large beasts, and the thought of one trailing after them while they hunted troubled her. She nodded again—she’d been doing that a lot lately—and stepped back. “Well, the area isn’t too far away. Once we’re there and we’ve found a spot for him”—she pointed her nose at Châtiment—“then you can shift and we’ll figure out a more in depth plan.” She wagged her tail once then gave the border collie mix a shove with her head to get his attention; he jumped then grinned, following her lead as she headed toward the more populated area of the moorland.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 385 :: It's fine hun, I had already gotten the 1500 and used it to get the co-rank.

Willam had to trust those that she had hunted with. She hadn't thought twice about trusting them. They all lived in the same place and were brought up under the same rules. They all had the same daily activities so it hadn't been hard for her to know that everyone would pull their weight. Of course she assumed that it would be the exact same way in Inferni. She assumed that everyone did what they had to do, even going above and beyond as she was used to. So it had never occurred to her that there could ever be any perceived problem with group hunting.

"I wouldn't mind going out again if there isn't enough." It was the one way that Willam was certain that she could contribute and so she would go out however many times that she had to until every belly among Inferni's members were full. She felt it was the least that she could do for being allowed a place to stay and being granted safety. "Do you think it would be possible to catch a couple of deer before returning?" Of course she wouldn't force the co-leader to do any more than she wanted to. That was why she was leaving the final decision up to Vesper. Willam was simply thinking about Helotes and his two children. They would need the nourishment, plus there were still the rest of the clan to consider.

Willam gave her own nod after Vesper had laid out a basic plan for what they should do now. The large female was all too willing to end up following another's lead. It was quite simply what she was used to doing. She had never had to take any position of leadership before. The closest she had ever come was when she had taught Helote's daughter the basics of fishing or the basic instruction that she had given Ithiel on how to use her weapons. But all that really was was nothing more than passing on her knowledge. So yes, she was willing to follow Vesper to wherever she might lead once the other had decided that it was time to start moving and changing positions. And when the other female had started moving Willam took up the rear with the equine following along behind her.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

+332

“I admire your work ethic,” Vesper replied when the aspiring huntswoman pointed out that she’d be fine with getting more. She managed to keep any sarcasm out of her tone, which was a difficult shift when she was going from verbally and affectionately insulting Asher to addressing the more serious clan member. She hoped Willam would accept the praise, anyway.

“Ask me again when we’ve caught the first one,” she answered with a short laugh at the thought of going out for more deer. She didn’t know if the joke would translate, though, so she explained: “If we haven’t managed to scare off the rest of the group, and if I’m not all bumped and bruised, then I’d be glad for another hunt; it isn’t every day I get to do something like this.” She paused. “Maybe those who’ve eaten from the first kill would offer to hunt for their fellow clansmates afterward?” If they didn’t gorge themselves too much to run, of course.

It seemed that everything was in order, so Vesper began to lope in the direction of the gathering of deer, Asher trotting a doggish pace beside her and Willam bringing up the rear with the horse. It was strange to have the big creature plodding along, and more than once Ves had the urge to dart off in a different direction for stealth’s sake, but she didn’t think the whitetails would be too spooked by the sight of another herbivore.

They finally came to the edge of the moorland; a few stunted trees provided cover a few yards away from the forest proper, and this is where the Centurion halted before looking at Willam. “You know your horse more than I do; would this be a good place for him to stay? If so, you can shift.” Phrasing the last order as a suggestion, she took a seat and politely looked away. Even after almost a year of being luperci, seeing others change form still freaked her out.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 625 :: Should the date on this be wiggled about for the Feast thread? Or should the Feast thread not be worried about for this time since I forgot about it and then got caught up in sickness and death in the family?

Willam opened her mouth to say something but couldn't think of a way to deny the compliment. She was forced to accept it instead. "Thank you." The words were subdued as was her nature. She really wasn't used to being praised. Willam was so used to denying and deflecting whatever compliments were given to her but Vesper had made it so that she couldn't downplay it. to says he didn't have a work ethic could have her being turned away from Inferni. And well, she had started to think of this place as home so she really didn't want to end up leaving it just as she had started to settle in.

Willam was about to quickly agree, not realizing it was a joke, but Vesper continued on. "It was daily routine for me in la Chemin." She had kept a strict schedule while she had lived there and didn't deviate away from it. But it was clearly different in Inferni. She was having to adjust her routine to fit with the lax atmosphere here. Not everyone came together to worship and share a meal together as she was used to. She was still getting used to her new solo and independent lifestyle. "I will remember to tell you as well as check with the others to see who would like to go out to hunt." Since Willam didn't mind mot taking of the first kill so that she could go back out to hunt straight away.

Willam followed along at an easy pace behind the other two. She was eager to get to hunting. It was something to remind her of home and the life that she had lived before coming here to Inferni. Not to mention she finally felt that she was able to help out and pull her weight. She finally had something to do, something that she knew she could do well at. Of course she would never talk herself up but the group she hunted with back in la Chemin had not once come back empty handed. Of course some trips took longer than others because it took longer to wear down and catch what they were after but the group refused to come back without something for the rest of la Chemin to eat.

Once Vesper had ceased moving and talked again did Willam actually pay attention to where they were at. She made a mental mark of where the horse would remain behind at so that she would know just where to find him. She led Châtiment straight up to the end of the treeline so that he would have an unobscured view of the open lands of the Moors. "Good boy Châtiment. You stay here until we are done." As she spoke to the horse she gently scratched between his eyes. Willam quickly checked over the travois to make sure that it was securely attached still as well as making certain the rope and canvas remained draped over the stallion's back and wasn't going anywhere. Once she was certain that everything would stay where she had placed it, and after removing the cilice from her leg to leave draped across the equine's back, did she finally shift into her lupus form.

Since Vesper was looking away, not that it would have bothered her if she were watched, she approached the co-leader once she was done. "He will stay there and he won't approach until he sees me again. So once we have the kill I can get him to come to us instead of us having to carry the kill to him." And Willam really adored that about him. It made hunting large game so much easier. "So how did you want to go about the hunt?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]