I shot an arrow in the air
[html] Alright, I'm not sure entirely where this came from but here's the thread ^_^ lol

A new pack brought with it a chance for yet another new start. She was so excited that she almost had not slept the entire night, wanting to experience this new land in all its glory at every part of the day. Still, without much sleep she had risen with the sun, leaving her armor and cloths where they lie and taking only her bow and quiver. Truth be told she was exhausted, wanting nothing more than to sleep for another hour or two, but as a creature of habit it was next to impossible for her to get back to sleep without engaging in her morning ritual of practicing one of her skills. In her earlier youth her late father had instructed her teachers to start her days early with some form of rehearsal of the prior day's lesson. Whether it was a lesson of etiquette, a sequence of fighting forms, or a recitation of old poetry the lesson did not matter she was woken before the sun and made to repeat what she had learned. It had proved to be a powerful reinforcement throughout her education allowing her to return to bed if she repeated correctly and keeping her awake if she did not. Over time the habit stuck with her such that she woke every day before dawn without any prodding whatsoever. On days such as this she cursed the habit with the most eloquent expletives she could think of, but nonetheless Cassia knew the ritual would have to be complete for her to get any rest. Her brain would not let her rest until this burned in routine was completed.

Marching out to the nearest stump she could find, the mahogany maned wolfess set about prepping the easiest challenge she could think of from her training. Around the old stump were several pieces of rotting wood, old branches and bark, likely pieces of the old tree that the stump once was. Selecting the most evenly rounded branch and propping it against the stump, Cassia proceeded to walk ten full strides away. Jaw set and somewhat heavy-eyed Cassia drew the first of her goose-fletched arrows in her bow. The goal of this exercise was to hit the stick three times without moving it from its original location. She was allowed five shots total. Her instructors had made up some bizarre reason as to why this drill was important and she had failed it several times. The trick had come when she had learned it was okay to take a couple of calculated misses for the sake of success. Her routine would be satisfied in moments and she'd be back to bed in no time. [/html]

[html]

Ink hated waking up so early, but sometimes it just happened that way. The timezone here was different and where he'd normally be waking at nine or ten in the morning, he now woke nearest dawn and finally crashed at midnight. The late nights and early mornings were tiring him out, but at least he had plenty of time to get his work done.

He headed for the stables as soon as he'd dressed himself. The boy trotted along a new route, wanting to map out as many as possible. This time, he'd headed as far south as possible before leaving Jordheim. The path he took was less trodden on and led him deeper into the woods than his usual route. A few turns later and he knew this would only be used if the main path was unworkable, or if he wanted to avoid packmates for some reason or another.

He worked his way up a short hill and stopped dead in his tracks. A few feet ahead, a woman stood, bow strung with an arrow, drawn back and ready to shoot. He stood to her left side, so he knew he was safe- as long as he didn't surprise her. Trying not to be quiet, he stepped around so as not to get in her range of fire and approached- she was blocking the way to the stables, not that he minded. A new member, maybe- he'd never seen her before.

His eyes followed her aim to the stump and branch. Practicing her shots? He stopped and stepped back, leaning against a tree, curious enough to stop and watch, though shy enough not to say anything just yet. He wanted to wait until she'd fired the arrow before he made himself known...

Word Count → 297

Derp.

<style>
.inkmayhem {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/RSbeZ.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#464c41; width:500px; margin:0px auto; padding:350px 0px 5px 0px; color:#1c1e1a; text-align:justify; font-family:'Sylfaen', times, serif;font-size:14px; line-height:16px; word-spacing:.3px; border:1px solid #1c1e1a;}
.inkmayhem b {color:#99a68e; font-weight:normal;}
.inkmayhem b:before { content: open-quote; }
.inkmayhem b:after { content: close-quote; }
.inkmayhem p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.inkmayhem p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:12px; border-top:1px dotted #99a68e; margin:15px 15px 0px;}
.inkmayhem .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; font-size:12px; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; float:right; margin:20px;}</style>

[/html]
[html] The groggy, cinnamon-coated girl focused carefully on her shot, though her ears did detect the approach of another. A final breathe and the shot was aligned. Fingers released. The bowstring 'thwacked.' And Cassia sent the arrow to its destination, nestled just beside the right side of the branch. She could have turned and greeted the stranger who had paused to watch her, but whoever it was seemed content to wait for another moment and the Calidus girl was too focused to risk breaking her concentration. If she did not execute at the top of her form then she would have to repeat the exercise to let herself get back to sleep. Even a conversation with the stranger would be enjoyable for her brain would be settled enough to return to rest whenever that dialogue ended.

So, without further delay and with a practiced, fluid motion the huntress notched and drew another arrow before sending it on its way. The arrow struck the stump to the left of the stick, parallel to the first, but close enough to hold the branch in place. This had been how Cassia had learned to satisfy the requirements of the drill while ensuring her success. At the point in her training when her instructors had instituted this routine she had grown confident enough in her accuracy to be able to place an arrow within an inch of its destination even on her worst of days. As such, the two seeming "misses" were designed to hold the branch in place where the next three arrows could comfortably strike the limb without moving it. Once satisfied that her restless mind would soon be settled the mahogany maned wolfess fired three more arrows, in rapid-fire succession, from her bow, striking the branch up and down its length with each bowl. The entire exercise probably took all of one minute, but that quick, ritualized practice session had been regimentally driven into the young wolfess from her puphood. Now, once she had met and conversed with her fellow Vinattan, she could go to sleep.

Turning where she stood, sea green gaze quickly found the young male leaning against a nearby tree. "Good morning, sir--" a yawn broke her greeting mid-thought, leading her to bring her hand up to politely cover her open mouth. When the unintended yawn had passed, Cassia continued, "Pardon me, I fear my body wishes me to return to bed, but I could not help but say hello, especially after you paused and watched me practice," she explained, smiling as she closed the small distance between herself and the pale-hued male. With the few steps she took she also swung her bow over her shoulder to let it slide into its straps on her quiver. She would retrieve her arrows in a moment, once the initial greetings were exhanged. It would not be as rude to return for her arrows after she had introduced herself to the male than before. Conversation could be continued while she collected the hand crafted missiles, but she could not just leave them there stuck in the wood. Truthfully she was interested in what this male had to say. The only other of her packmates she had met had been Lilin on her and Oak's first day. This male would be the second person she had introduced herself to in Vinatta.[/html]

[html]

Ink didn't just get to see her shoot one arrow. The first two shots lined up beside the branch. The next few hit the branch perfectly, without moving it- he noted that the arrows that had 'missed' had actually worked to hold the branch in place. She'd meant to do it. Impressed despite himself, Ink couldn't help but wave his tail in appreciation for her technique. He'd never shot an arrow before, but the skill was something he'd become a fan of early on- bows and arrows were deadly things and they made hunting that much easier at times, he was sure.

Once she was done, she stood and approached him. Her greeting was cut off with a yawn, which she apologized for. Good morning. He smiled, picking himself up off the tree and brushing off the bark. You've got a great aim. I envy the skill, really- stick me in your position and I'd probably shoot myself somehow. He laughed sheepishly, shrugging it off. He knew he had no skills in hunting or fighting yet- might as well joke about it until things changed, anyway.

Name's Ink Trovato. Risna. He extended a hand to shake, hoping she'd know the gesture. I've not see you around before. Are you new to Vinatta? His entire being was polite, if a bit shy. Soft and sweet, kind of like honey but not quite as tempting. His clothes were that of a gypsy's, but suited for his gender of course. Herem pants and layered shirts to match.

Word Count → 256

Derp.

<style>
.inkmayhem {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/RSbeZ.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#464c41; width:500px; margin:0px auto; padding:350px 0px 5px 0px; color:#1c1e1a; text-align:justify; font-family:'Sylfaen', times, serif;font-size:14px; line-height:16px; word-spacing:.3px; border:1px solid #1c1e1a;}
.inkmayhem b {color:#99a68e; font-weight:normal;}
.inkmayhem b:before { content: open-quote; }
.inkmayhem b:after { content: close-quote; }
.inkmayhem p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.inkmayhem p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:12px; border-top:1px dotted #99a68e; margin:15px 15px 0px;}
.inkmayhem .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; font-size:12px; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; float:right; margin:20px;}</style>

[/html]