[aw] open arms and closed hearts
[html]

Open for anyone! 8D Dated for the 11th, at the Ruins--left it a bit vague so it can lead to anywhere.

Harrow was not the best hunter, but she was a good scrounger. Her hands brushed over the furs and pelts she had collected from the storage, some the course of the deer and others the plush of the rabbit. It was a rather odd and jumbled mix of colors and textures, as if a large hybrid of all the species was curled up in the dip in the ground where the woman slept. But, as she smoothed a patch of rodent fur, no creature stirred underneath her touch. All the pelts had imperfections on them--scars, she thought, still thinking of a beast--and knew that they would have otherwise been unused by others. What a waste, she thought, as she continued to fiddled with the pelts. They were still useful despite their somewhat unsightly appearance in certain places.

She rose from the hollowed ground and began to step towards the entrance, strong light peeling into the doorless building. A particular patch of fur suddenly opened its eyes, and a feline emerged from sea of furs, and followed closely at her side, pressing her flank against her ankle every so often. The dark woman faintly grinned down at Omitl, and once she sat down on the steps that lead into her house, she rubbed the lynx behind an ear, and a purr rumbled in response to the treatment. "Very good day," the cat murmured through a purr, shifting herself so that she could lay across the girl's legs. Harrow merely nodded, and looked out at the sky. It was a rather nice day indeed, the slight chill in the air and the gentle, nipping breeze. The sun was clear and warm, though, and it was rather pleasant, how it was both cool and heated, making a perfect balance.

Her hand moved over Omi's head absentmindedly as she thought. It had only been a few days since she had met her mother for the first time for--the time escaped her, but it was for too long. She was taken back into Salsola, and while her lowly rank stirred feelings within the proud girl, she was ultimately thankful for the mercy shown to her, especially from Eris. She vaguely remembered being damp and haggard that day, but what she remembered most was her mother's appearance. She did not say anything when she entered the house she was under to get away from the rain, but the silent hug said enough. The scene kept replaying in her mind, and she curled Omitl closer to her, her arms wrapping around the cat as if she was the stuffed rabbit. Rosemary was resting in a cubby in a wall, still needing a wash ever since she dropped her in mud. The lynx just took it in stride, and tried to go back to her nap. Harrow was just so happy to be back--with her mother, in Salsola--she didn't know what to do.

<style type="text/css">
.bluecrowmoon b {font-weight:bold; color:#eaf2f7; letter-spacing:-.5px;}
.bluecrowmoon .ooc {font-style:italic; padding:3px; text-align:center;}
.bluecrowmoon p {text-indent:20px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.bluecrowmoon {margin:0 auto; width:485px; background-color:#9cc5db; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Mv9LH.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #515f64; padding:155px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#515f64; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
Ninja's 8D
wordcount ► 431

Gale carried a bundle of twigs and long sticks. They were tied together with tough, dried grasses, as their purpose was merely for keeping the bundle together. It was for his home, the home he was building for his niece and himself. His mistress, Siv, had nothing for him to do that day and she was no where to be found. Often times he was not very needed, so he kept himself to working on the home. So far, he had asked the slave pointed out to him for the wood, though it was mostly ruined and boards from fragmented homes. Nothing spectacular but he had to build Yvette and himself a dwelling before winter set in. It would grow colder here than it had ever been in Rome or in his southern English village. Snow would fall heavy and Yvette was young enough to be susceptible to the weather.

The twigs poked roughly into his belly, but he huffed and ignored the discomfort as best as he could. Yvette trailed behind him, a few small lengths of wood in her jaws as she struggled to keep up with her uncle's long paced strides. There already was a small pile of twigs and branches outside the ramshackled little lean-to the slave had begun. It was going to be a mixture of a construction, with some wood and the rest made of hardened mud and what clay he could find. Stones ran around the foundation of the little hut, a base for where the mud would go and where the wood would be wedged in later. It was fairly modest, but he could hardly make something bigger than his mistress' home.

The pair of them dropped their load and turned back around. He had to pass through the Ruins, where most of the pack had made their homes. Their scents were thick in the air, and some were fresh. Nose wrinkling, Gale froze at the sight of a woman, black as Siv. She did not smell like her blood, though, and knew it was someone else. So far he had met no one other than Siv and her daughter. Anyone could have easily ordered him about, even if he was Siv's. The golden ring in his nose was a symbol of his rank in this place and he knew it. Ears went back in deference, and the slave bowed at the waist as he remembered slaves did back in Rome. "Domina, a beautiful cat you have," he said simply, knowing he was out of place for addressing a superior.

Images credited to Jason Pier. Table style inspired by Kitty.

<style>
.gale_01 {padding:5px 0px 265px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Rtaz4.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #1c9adf; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px; line-height:12px;}
.gale_01 .inner {margin:0 20px; padding: 0px 9px 0px 9px;text-align:justify;}
.gale_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #000; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.gale_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#075fac; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_01 .wc {color:#9fd2eb; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#2cb6e5;}
.gale_01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#9fd2eb;}
p.gale01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

eee a Gale! 8D

Others frequently passed through, mostly the ones that lived out here, so she would usually ignore their presence when they would brush past her house. They minded their own business, too, so it all ended up okay that she was apart of the path that was traveled often. Even then she heard footsteps--more than one pair, she noted, but she did not look up to see who, since their faint scent did not tell that they were her family. Thus, she ignored them, even when they had stopped, and continued to stroke Omi, who went back to sleep already. Lazy creature, she thought teasingly.

Finally, the lingering people caught her attention, she looked up in time to see a male bow to her. She also saw that he was followed by a small girl, one that looked just like him, perhaps a shade lighter, and eyes a green instead of a blue. When the man rose, shiny gold alerted her. Slave, she thought absentmindedly. Perhaps she would have went on to ignore him--if she was ranked higher than she was then. Now, there was only a thin title that kept her from being treated like a slave, and--she felt odd. She felt indifferent about the ring that hung from his nose. Huh. Maybe it was for the fact that they were both in the outer rings that she felt indifferent, instead of above him. Or maybe she hadn't seen a slave in a long while. In due time, maybe she would feel superior once more when her title was given back, whenever that would be. Whatever the case, she just felt normal at that moment.

"My name's not Domina." She wasn't cutting in tone, but quiet like she would speak to any stranger. "And, this isn't a cat. Omitl is a lynx. But, yeah, she's pretty, I guess. My name's Harrow." She went silent again, and stared at the man and girl with vivid eyes. She was waiting for a response.

<style type="text/css">
.bluecrowmoon {margin:0 auto; width:485px; background-color:#9cc5db; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Mv9LH.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #515f64; padding:155px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#515f64; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
considerably shorter... I HAVE STUFF TO STUDY FOR /qq
wordcount ► 431

Gale let his ears fall flat as he stood before her. He would not, and could not, sit while a higher ranking canine sat before him and did not give him permission to sit. Yvette seemed not to care much and sat herself down beside her uncle, staring at the cat that was perched besides the woman. He had not seen her, or the cat, before, so he assumed she was newer. But she smelled familiar, in a vague kind of way, as though the presence had been around a while but gone. Or he was entirely confused about it. It was such a muddled mess in Rome that he no longer bothered to care much on scent distinctions.

"Gale. You are a domina. Mistress," he said gently, chancing a glance from the woman to the slave child beside him. She hardly seemed to notice she was a slave whenever she was not around Siv; that woman demanded a high level of respect and it was terrifying to think of what she could do. Yvette understood her place there. "A lynx? A companion, I see," he said thoughtfully, wondering if the small cats the pack seemed to keep around were like that one, or like the cats that the Romans liked in their houses. Big cats were to fight, to kill for their pelts if they could be caught without tearing the hide to shreds. This seemed to be a pet. "A pet?"

<style>
.gale_01 {padding:5px 0px 265px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Rtaz4.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #1c9adf; font-family:verdana;font-size:10px; line-height:12px;}
.gale_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #000; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.gale_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#075fac; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #000; }
.gale_01 .wc {color:#9fd2eb; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.gale_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#2cb6e5;}
p.gale01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

BUT I LOVES THE SHORT POSTS. <3

She watched him as he seemed to be puzzled over something, but she didn't pay much attention to his momentary confusion. She looked at the small girl as she looked over the lynx, and she felt a stirring beside her, and she saw the cat's eyes open and peer at the light wolf. They were somewhat sharp, her nap being disturbed by the sudden appearance of the slaves, but they seem to soften as they gazed at the girl. She gave a lazy, rumbling purr, and continued to watch her, her stumped tail flicking often behind her. Harrow stole a glance at Omitl, and guessed she must have liked the pair, or else she would have hobbled off somewhere else to return to her sleep.

The accented voice spoke again, and when he asked if the lynx was a pet, she had tried to answer calmly. But, Omi beat her to the punch. "No pet," she purred, though there was a hit of annoyance in her tone at the assumption. "I am no pet to her. She is my friend. I am, ah, companion. I chose to be by her." The dark girl nodded in agreement to what she said, and was silent as the cat continued, "Sit, if not busy. Talk we should. Scoot over." Harrow complied with Omitl, and made enough room on the stone steps for all four of them to have a bit of space. The she-cat looked back at the slave girl, and she purred once more. "What is name?"

As Omitl focused on something else for once, she looked over at Gale. A quietness overcame her, but she broke it before it can fully form. "How're you doing...?" He wasn't obligated to answer, she guessed, but then again it could have been a demand she was asking. Either way, she as curious.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
yay! <3
wordcount ► 311

The cat purred and the pup looked in amazement at the creature. She had never seen a cat before, let along a lynx. She had heard stories of them and had seen the pelt her uncle wore about his back whenever they had moved from place to place. But this was a living, breathing creature. When the cat spoke, voice a feline purr compared to the rougher canine tongue, Gale shrunk back. He had insulted the creature, surely, which is why the invitation to sit came as such a surprise. He looked from one to the other, wondering if this was an order that could be obeyed.

He swallowed and scooped up the girl into his lap as soon as he sat down. The girl looked over his lap at the cat, blinking at the creature. 'I'm Yvette,' she pipped up, knowing that she was definitely too old to be sitting in her uncle's lap as though she were only a month or two old instead of almost six. She was all gangly limbs and lazy appendages as she sprawled out on his lap. She stared at the cat, uncertain of what to say to a different species, so used to various canine species and breeds. She ogled the cat's eyes, blinking at them rudely. "Where ya from?" she asked suddenly, cocking her golden head.

Harrow asked him how he was and he lowered his head. "As well as can be considered, Domina," he said lightly, knowing that it was a very strange thing to ask a slave who was there not of his own free will. "Is Domina from around here?" It didn't seem like she was out of place at all. In fact, she seemed to belong here quite a bit more than the two golden furred slaves. Or maybe that was why they belonged.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

The lynx seemed amused at the sun-kissed wolves' reactions, and it remedied any ill thoughts towards the man and the small girl. Harrow herself was not sure what she was up to, the creature being that of her own laws and regulations that barely went along with Salsola customs. But, she was smart, indeed; she never did anything that went against their culture, but some things may be questioned, like how she requested the slaves' company for nothing other than to talk. But, the dark-hued woman did not care much, and decided to go along with the lynx.

"Eeevette," the she-cat repeated, her purr accenting the girl's title. "What a pretty name. Mine is Omitl." Green-yellow, silted eyes watched the pup with interest as she sprawled over the male slave, and a mrroew that was akin to laughter at the question. "I am from here. I was born in city, south here, but this is my home since I was kitten. Where are you from, Eeevette?"

Harrow kept her attention on the man as the other two had their conversation, and nodded at his statement of being well, considering. For a moment, she wondered what it would be like to be a slave; no images came to her. It was simply unimaginable, for a girl being raised as above others, to be pharisaic, to think like that. "Yes. I was born here. Eris is my mother, and Larkspur is my father." She refused to refer as father as dead. "Something happened, but now I'm back. I don't think you were around when I was." She was silent, unsure of what to say, and started to fiddle with the bone necklace around her neck, she herself not minding the quiet that much.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
yay! <3
wordcount ► 339

Yvette beamed her wide smile, showing teeth as she stuck out her tongue in a happy laugh. "Ohm-mee-tea? Omiteee," she said with a roll, running the vowel over her tongue and looking like she had just tried something strange for the first time. The girl resisted the urge to lean forward and bump noses with the creature, but that was the way she was; always itching to stick her face in places it didn't belong.

"From?" she said softly, cocking her head to look at her uncle from the corner of her eyes. Her brows furrowed as she thought and the man sighed. "England, Britannia, dear." The girl's tail wagged, and she nodded. "Yeah, that," There was a distinct difference between both of their accents. Gale's was tainted by England but clearly from somewhere else. Yvette had a slightly heavier English accent though it was affected by Gale's Latin-Italian accent, too. "We came over in a boat and everything!" she exclaimed, letting her paws dig into Gale's thighs hard enough to make him wince. Tired of it, the man pulled her out of his lap and made her sit beside him properly.

Gale looked up at the dark woman, and wondered why he had thought that she had reminded him of Siv. Perhaps just the coloring, even though Siv was not pure black at all. "I've heard of Eris, but do not know your mother." But he tightened his lips as she mentioned that she had not been here since he had arrived, enslaved. "I was.. brought here maybe two moons ago? Time.. is a little hazy, I'm sorry, Domina." Gale put a heavy hand on the girls head to keep her in place, and she stilled and quiet. She, no doubt, had a lot to say about their enslavement, but it was best to cut her off before she even fully thought it out. "Why did you leave, Domina, if you had family here? Isn't family important?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

​Small, gleaming teeth flashed at the girl's attempt to say her name. "Omi is good, too." Harrow was glad that Omitl seemed to be enjoying herself. She could not but help but feel comfortable in their prescene as well. Not comparable to the ranked wolves' company, but endearing in its own way.

​"England?" Harrow questioned curiously. It sounded very familiar--didn't Sirius go there? Or was it a place called London? Either or, she supposed. Both were far away places, and before her time, anyway. She listened as Yvette stated they came across by boat, and the darkly-hued woman's vague interest piqued. "You had to travel across great water, did you?" Their strange tongue-tone whenever they spoke proved that much. "What is England like?" Not she'll ever go there--Salsola was home enough. But, curiosity egged her on.

​He had been here for two moons, two months. Yes, she was not there when he had arrived, certainly. "Time has been hazy for me as well. Maybe it will get better soon enough." She had begun to stroke the lynx's head, who was quiet as she listened to their conversation, and her fingers slowed as the slave questioned her. Omitl gave the slightilest push with her head against her hand, encouragement. "Family is important, Gale," she said simply. "I did not leave here on my own accord. I returned, though, because of family. Family is the most important thing in Salsola, most important thing in the world.

​"Yvette--she is your family, right? If you were ever separated from her, you'd return to her, right?" It was sensible enough to Harrow, and she felt no doubt about what his answer would be. "I may have left, but the most important thing is, I am back. And I won't leave." She went back to stroking the feline's head at her regular pace.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OH NOE DON'T LET THAT SECRET OUT GALE.
wordcount ► 303

The slave wrinkled his nose, smiling at the dark woman. "Wet. Very wet." The south of England was very rainy, almost dreadfully so. It would never storm for hours at a time, but lightly drizzle on and off all day. It all seemed so misty all the the time that it was hard to believe it was ever sunny. There was sunshine between drizzles during the spring and the beginning of summer he had experienced, but the locals all said that winter was grey with light snow. Clear days of sun were rare and very much so coveted. The woman who had delivered Yvette and her now deceased sister had told Gale in her breaks, and she explained the weather and the sheep trade. "If it's not drizzling, you're not in England."

Gale looked away from Harrow, down at the girl who sat beside him watching both the cat and the dark woman. "Yes. I agree. Family is most important in everything. Familia est ad vitam." He touched the young girl's head, patting her slightly with an odd smile on his maw as he serenely remembered the last touch of their mother, and how he and his sister had escaped Rome together. "Right, Yvette?" The golden pup nodded, yipping up at her uncle.

"I don't see us separating," he said seriously, looking up at Harrow with solemn eyes. "She's all I have left of her mother and I'm the only thing she has of her mother, too." Gale's eyes widened and he looked away. He hoped he had not given away more than he was supposed to, but he always had a hard time hiding his emotions. Gale swallowed nervously, and then grinned back sheepishly at Harrow. "How are you finding things here? Anything different, Domina?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Harrow blinked as the man squinted his face at what must have been the memory of England. "Eh..." Rain was not too terrible--but then again it only rained occasionally, not constantly like the sun man was describing it out to be. "All it does here is fog and mist a lot. It's rare to have a clear day here, too, but it's usually dry." Salsola was especially affected by such weather because of their coastal claim, but Harrow found comfort in the haze. Elusive and secretive was the pack, and the cover was favored. "I guess you didn't come from somewhere that didn't rain a lot. Or you just don't like rain in general," she commented off-handedly, knowing by the way he referred to this England that he was not raised there. But, she did not press for an answer, just merely observed the fact.

Again, with the odd words. Not knowing what he was saying made her annoyed to a degree, but the words sounded familiar enough--she thought she heard something like family and vital--so she did not point it out for him to elaborate. She watched as he patted the girl, and looked up when he had agreed that he would not leave her. The next piece of information didn't phase her much, but by the way he had reacted at his own words caused her to look the other way, as if turning away from something embarrassing she did not want to witness. Loose lips, she thought in the back of her mind. Maybe it was something personal he did not want to share, but she did not over think it. Secrets were precious things.

She looked back to Gale as he spoke once more, obviously changing the subject. Childish curiosity wanted to pry at what he had said, but decided to let it slide, for now. "Everything is good, considering. But not the same." No, change was inevitable, but the longer she took to truly face it, the better it felt. She wanted to lightly comment that she could not wait to regain her family rank, but decided that such frivolous talk would not benefit a conversation with a slave. "And you?" She pretended for a moment he was not in his position, and it helped her talk to him without getting awkward, to act like he was another of the ranked.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]