that's all i ask for
Set in Ethereal Eclipse.[html]

SOMEWHERE THERE'S A CRACK IN THE SIDEWALK
BIGGER THAN THE SHADOW OF DEATH IN THIS TOWN

This place had caught Ryan’s attention when she had moved through it a few days prior. She went back to it now because she figured it might be a good place for her to think things over. The biggest thing? ...the stranger she had met while swimming in the bay. She should have known by the way his blood red gaze comforted her. Maybe it was instinct or something kicking in. She couldn’t be sure. But what she did know was that she was utterly confused about what to do next.

She dropped her bag down next to a tree trunk, trailing away a few yards. She wore her plaid tea length dress that was adorned with wrinkles along the hem. She placed a hand out in front of her, steadying herself against the trunk of a tree. She needed her mother. Ryan was usually fairly independent and strong, but right now she felt weak. She needed some sort of moral support.

[/html]
[html]

Were Ryan and her mom really close? If so the two could definitely bond about that!
wc 302

Savina had taken the opportunity to go explore more of the lands outside of Twilight Vale. Recently she hadn't left the pack grounds much because of her paranoia about protecting Naniko. However with the war between Inferni and Dhalia de Mai subsiding, and Conri most likely still fairly beat up from their encounter she figured things would be alright while she took a day off. After all, it wasn't like she was the only person patrolling the borders and making sure everything were safe. The Italian wolf had simply been pushing herself to work as hard as she could.

Today she had traveled north to the deeply forested area of Ethereal Eclipse. She had decided to change into her optime form. It still felt very awkward to her, but she needed to spend more time in it to get used to it. The ebony femme still preferred her regular lupine form, however sometimes it was necessary to shift so she needed to be more capable in the other form. Gingerly she picked her way through the damp woods on her two feet, every once and a while sweeping the hair that fell across her face out of the way. Though of course with in a few minutes it was right back where it started.

Her emerald gaze soon fell upon another who was in the woods this day. It was a coyote, that was plain. Before she might have been more wary, but since the war had calmed she threw her inhibitions to the wind. Slowly she walked up to the shorter lupine, a friendly smile on her face. "Hello there." Her accented words floated through the air. It seemed like the younger girl had something on her mind. "How are you doing today?" Savina wanted to ask what was troubling her, but didn't want to seem too forward either.

[/html]
Really close! [html]

Her eyes felt particularly heavy, even though it was the middle of the day. She supposed it could have been partially due to the fact that her sleep hadn’t been so fulfilling the night before. Too many things kept turning around in her mind. She wasn’t sure why this whole ordeal with Anselm seemed to trouble her so much, but it did. She couldn’t decide how to go about things now. Should she pursuit being with her father?

Ryan turned her red gaze upon a taller, black female who spoke softly to her. Her eyes seemed to show kindness, perhaps compassion. The hybrid offered a smile in return, letting her hand drop from the tree and turning to fully face the Italian girl. "Hi," Ryan responded, surprised to find herself suddenly feeling slightly better. "I’m doing alright, I suppose. Hanging in there." That was an expression her mother often used, especially when the duo were low on food. 'Hungry, but hanging in there.' "My name’s Ryan," she offered, holding out a hand for the girl to shake. She had seen her mother do this as well, once when she had spoken to this awful looking coyote. It was desperate, but her mother had ways of bringing food home for them.

[/html]
[html]

The Italian wolf looked quizzically at the girl's outstretched hand for a moment. Then it dawned on her that she had seen others, while in optime form, do this gesture. Worried about appearing rude she quickly grasped the other's hand a shook it. It felt a bit awkward, greeting someone in such a way. But then again, many things in shifted form felt weird to her still. Ryan, it was an interesting name. One she hadn't heard before. It had a nice ring to it though. "I'm Savina. Its a pleasure to make your acquaintance." It was then that the femme noticed the color of Ryan's eyes. She had only seen one other with a gaze like that. Anslem. She wondered if the two were related at all.

In a fairly fluid motion the Indus lowered herself to the damp forest floor. Crossing her legs in front of her she patted the ground, motioning the other canine should join her. From her response it was obvious something was bugging the younger female, and Savina was more than happy to listen if she wanted to talk about it. "So what's on your mind? It seems something is bothering you, if you don't mind my asking." Her hand moved to push back the bangs from her face once more, so she could see better.

[/html]
[html]

Similarly, their shaking hands felt awkward to Ryan as well, but she appreciated the notion behind the gesture. After all, it was an appropriate way to greet someone, right? This Italian girl had a very pretty name – Savina. It was rather feminine, unlike her own. She nodded, letting herself sit down upon the damp ground. She crossed her legs beneath her like a pretzel, attempting to flatten out the wrinkles of her dress with one hand.

"Me? Ahhh, well…" She paused, thinking of her mother again. The two had been together from the beginning and often shared simple talks like this during their traveling. When she had been smaller, Ryan’s mother would scoop her into her lap and talk about whatever they pleased. It felt much the same, which is why, it seemed, Ryan felt she could be open with Savina and tell her how she felt. She pretended as if it were Lené in front of her. "I was given a name. The name of the person who is supposed to be my father." Anselm, she said in her head. "I met someone the other day with that name. It’s just…" She paused. It couldn’t be possible, right? "It couldn’t have been him."

[/html]
[html]

Just an FYI, James and I are going to close the hide n' seek thread, unless you have objections XD

Savina's triangular ears pricked forward, listening closely as the girl explained what was on her mind. It seemed the two already had something in common; they never had a father. There was a difference though. While Savina had known who her father was, and had lived in the same pack with him until she left Italy, Ryan had never met or seen her sire. That was usually the word the bitter girl used to name Serge. He wasn't deserving of the title "father" or "dad".

However, she tried not to let her bias taint her response. "Hmmm, I don't know, it's hard to say. Did you come here to look for him?" The femme supposed that a child who never knew who a parent was would have the urge to go looking for them eventually. She was curious about Ryan's mother, but decided to focus on one thing at a time. "I must say, our situations are a little different, but I never really had a father either." The wolfess couldn't help but let the other know that she knew how it was to grow up without a dad.

[/html]
That's fine by me! [html]

In some way, it was refreshing to hear that Savina had at least some idea what Ryan was facing. Though she had never had a friend before, nor knew what it truly meant to have one, Ryan hoped that some sort of bond would form with this Italian girl. She wanted a type of replacement for her mother, and didn’t realize that all she really needed was a loyal friend.

"I wasn’t really looking for him," Ryan told Savina. In fact, she didn’t really think she would ever discover his whereabouts. "My mother and I never lived in one place for long, we always traveled. After she died, I just kept going. It only seemed natural. I didn’t really expect to find him. I just… did." She offered a thin smile, before deciding to ask Savina about her father. "Did you ever find him? You’re dad, I mean."

[/html]
[html]

The sable female's heart sank as Ryan revealed that her mother had died. Without even thinking, her hand reached out for the other girl, resting it on her forearm gently. Jade eyes looked into the crimson ones, full of pain and the knowledge of how she felt. "Ryan, I...I'm sorry. I know what it's like to lose your mother. I was always with mine as well. Mine died too...only a couple months ago. Right before I ended up here." Her heart went out to the younger girl. It was a horrible thing to lose a parent, but to lose the only one you really had. That was worse. She wanted to hug her companion, but didn't want to overstep her bounds. She wanted to hold and protect her, like a little sister of sorts. Even though they had just met the jet wolfess already felt a strong connection to her.

After a few moments her mind returned to the subject they had been talking about. "So you do think it could have been him?" Savina was genuinely hoping that perhaps the canine that had sired Ryan had the potential to be a good man. Maybe then she could gain the parent she should have always had. When asked about her own father a small frown crossed her muzzle. "I always knew who he was. When my mother became pregnant they weren't mates. He decided he didn't want her or us so he disowned all of us. We all lived in the same pack, but he acted like none of us even existed." Hopefully Ryan's dad wouldn't be like the son of bitch Serge was.

[/html]
[html]

Her mother’s death had been rather horrible. Of course Ryan missed her completely, but she was slightly relieved when her mother didn’t wake the next morning those few months ago. The leptospirosis had completely savaged her body and Ryan was glad that she no longer had to suffer. "I’m sorry," she offered Savina, because she knew just how hard death was to deal with when it happened to someone close to you. Though it had struck her terribly hard when her mother finally died, she had been expecting it ever since her mother had gotten sick. Because of that, she supposed she had been slightly prepared.

When Savina asked about Anselm, Ryan shrugged her shoulders. She couldn’t say for sure. "I don’t know. It must have been. His gaze" – there was something about it – "it was like I’ve seen it before." And she had. Whenever she saw her own reflection, that same gaze was peering back at her.

The story about Savina’s own father was tragic. She couldn’t imagine living along side someone who wouldn’t even acknowledge your presence. "That must have been terrible," she commented, feeling a bit sorry for Savina and her family. It made her wonder though. If Anselm discovered the truth, would he shun her just the same? After all, he hadn’t been around for Ryan and her mother, had he?

[/html]
[html]

The midnight hued femme was surprised when the younger girl mentioned that it was his eyes that made her think it could be her father. It was the exact thought she'd had when she saw Ryan, that she had the same eyes as Anslem. Could she have been right with her initial assumption? Savina knew that this situation called for delicacy, so she phrased it as gently as she could. "You do have a very unique eye color. In fact I've only met one other here who has such eyes. His name was Anslem. Was this the man you met?" In a way the wolf hoped it was. Of course she didn't know the gold and black canine incredibly well, but he had helped her when she was in desperate need of it. That let her know that at the very least he had the potential to be good to Ryan.

The slender girl shrugged her shoulders at Ryan's comment about her life back in Italy. It had been rather hard at first. It had never really been easy to deal with something like that, but she had never lived any other way. She supposed it would have been more difficult if that hadn't been the norm of her life. "It was hard, but we all were used to it. And we had each other. My mother, brother, sister, and I. We took care of each other. I think it hurt mother much more than it ever hurt any of us." After all, Amata had loved Serge. Had loved him and then had been cast aside when she was carrying his seed. Savina still hated the fact that the blood of the person who had hurt her mother the most flowed in her veins.

[/html]
[html]

She smiled when Savina commented on her eyes. Lene had always talked about how they were so unique and Anselm had been the only other person that Ryan had met with the same shade of red, so far. She had been proud of the color as a child, for her mother always praised her for them. 'You have beautiful eyes, my child.' But now, her stomach turned sick. Even without seeing the two side by side, Savina had made the connection as well. She knew what Ryan knew deep inside of her – that Anselm really was her father.

"Yes," she responded, voice sinking to a whisper. So it was true. It had been him. Of course she already knew this, but it seemed solidified now. She looked up to Savina’s jade eyes, nodding. "Yes, his name was Anselm. That’s who I met. And I know it’s my father. He has to be. My mother told me my father’s name was Anselm de le Poer. That was him, wasn’t it? He was Anselm de le Poer!"

She almost didn’t hear what Savina said about her own family, since she was fighting too hard to keep the tears from spilling from her eyes. She didn’t know why, but suddenly she felt completely overwhelmed. What would she do now? It was clear she had found her father. But how would he respond when he discovered he had a child he never knew about?

[/html]
[html]

Slight PP, lemme know if you want changed!

Seeing the effect the concrete realization had on the small girl, Savina could not hold back any longer. Softly she moved towards Ryan and wrapped her arms around her, resting her chin on the top of the girl's head. For a long while the wolf said nothing, giving the hybrid a chance to calm down, to collect her thoughts. When she did speak her voice was soft and comforting. "It's going to be alright. From what I know he's a good man." One of the jet female's hands started gently stroking the fur on Ryan's arm. "He was of a great help to me in a time that I desperately needed it. We were strangers, and he didn't have any obligation to stop and listen to me. But he did."

The Indus wasn't sure whether or not that knowledge would be comforting to the coyote. She hoped that hearing of a good deed that her father had done for another might ease her fears. Let her know that there was the potential for him to be loving and accepting of her. Keeping her slender arms wrapped around her, she waited for what Ryan would ask or say next.

[/html]
Could probs end this soon? :][html]

She let herself be held, not caring that the two barely knew each other. She closed her eyes, squeezing them closed as if it would somehow erase all of the negative things that had happened. She wanted to pretend that it was her mother holding her, since she missed that warm and comforting touch. But she knew she couldn’t pretend. Instead, it was this stranger, this kind, young girl. Savina had really been a sweetheart. If Ryan decided to stick around in this area, she would definitely want to see the onyx colored girl again. Maybe she would even become her first true friend. That was something that she needed.

"Thank you," she muttered, lifting a hand to wipe the tears that had managed to leak from her closed lids. When she rubbed away the dampness on her cheek, she turned to face Savina. "Thanks a lot. I really just needed someone to listen." She sat there then, just breathing the fresh air for a moment. If he was a good man, then she would go to Inferni. She would do what she had told Corona that she would do. She rose to her feet, almost sad for a moment as their embrace broke free. She wiped the fabric, brushing off the forest debris that had collected on it. She wiped her eyes again, smiling down to Savina. "I need to go. To Inferni. I think I’m going to see him – to join them." She twirled in a circle, looking for her bag. When she found it, she slung the strap over her shoulder. "Where can I find you, Savina? I really hope to see you again," she said with a smile. This was one the first times she planned to leave an area behind with every intention of returning.

[/html]
[html]

Blarg, sorry for the wait. Getting back into the school habit is tough XD And yes, why don't we wrap this one up Smile
wc 316

It felt good, to be able to give this sweet young girl some form of comfort. Even if they were practically strangers. A smile returned to her slender visage as Ryan seemed to calm down and regain her composure. "You're more than welcome. I understand how important it is to be able to confide in someone. I'm glad I could be that person for you." It was a dilemma the sable femme knew all too well. After her mother's death, she had wondered around for almost a month without talking of it to another living soul. Finally when she had opened up about it to Naniko, it had been hard, but afterwords she had felt so much better. It was all just part of the healing process.

Emerald gaze watched as the coyote yearling stood up and collected her possessions, ready to take off to talk to Anslem. Inferni? That was where he lived? When she and male had parted ways on the coast he said she could find him in the human city. And from appearances alone Anslem looked much more like a wolf than he did a coyote. Not that it mattered to her, Savina wasn't biased against coyotes. Maybe Inferni wasn't as bad as it was made out to be then, with someone like Anslem, and soon Ryan among their ranks. Her heart lifted as Ryan said that she would like to be able to find her again. The Indus very much had the same hope. "You can find me in Twilight Vale. Its a pack not far from here. You're welcome to visit me whenever Ryan. I hope you do." Her bushy tail patted softly on the damp forest floor. She made her way back to her feet and wrapped her arms around the girl one last time. A quick hug before she left. "Good luck. I'm sure everything will go fine."

[/html]