Baby girl, I'm just a blur
[html]

all welcome!

Life was just a bunch of little steps. Nothing to big, nothing to immense. Just little bits that made the larger picture. Each one could be a milestone if you made it.

The lake was not new, but it was new when she was alone. Everything would be new when she explored it by herself. Without the eyes of her mothers everything looked new and different. It was the first time where she needed to look at it like they did, with no one to protect her or to teach her what everything meant. Like the rings the water made when she touched it, or how the furs on her leg grew stiff after wet and exposed to the cold air. Why had no one explained that to her?

The pup enjoyed the newness of life, taking it all in and making it whatever she wanted it to be. Her chocolate colored pelt danced in the dreary day’s breeze, and her breath was still the visible smoke she had yet to understand. She had recently found out that when in the warmth of the cave or mansion, there was no smoke. But in the cold air it came again. Figuring it was just one of those life mysteries that her momma Anu liked to talk about, she decided to forget about it for the moment.

The icy shore the circled the great lake was much more entertaining. Large round paws touched it ever so gingerly, listening to it crack and break. Not even a foot wide the icy ring gave her a small insight to what winter night just look like. It was all just another milestone.

[/html]
[html]
-steals- >_>

This was one place that she knew she would be welcomed in no matter what, and Ember was taking advantage of that fact for a bit of fishing today. She had been up and around earlier in the day, but now she was satisfied to just sit back and relax with her rod and line. Fish was all that she could catch any more really, with her broken collarbone making her left arm useless. She had attempted to catch a rabbit a few days before without much luck.

Ember knew that there were pups running around these lands, her older adopted sibling Naniko's children, but she wasn't keeping an eye out for them or anything. If she ran into one she ran into one...but other than that she didn't know how interested she was in them. Ember had never been one for pups; she didn't have that maternal streak that most other females harboured. She found most of them annoying, if anything.

Emerald eyes narrowed when she spotted the pup a little ways away from her hole in the ice, and she let out a hiss. She couldn't shout, because she didn't want to scare the fish away even more, but at this level her voice would carry through the silence. "You're going to scare them away, kid. And I'm hungry. So get outta here!"

[/html]
[html]

ohh,, its you! Ok, the truth… <3!! Im going to stay up all night and post… yay im going to be useless tomorrow at work!

Little brown ear took in all the noise they could handle. She understood that her body would big one day, like everyone else in the pack. So would her ears grow too? And would she see more because of bigger eyes? She concentrated on the ice, hoping to hear and see more then what was truly there. When nothing came to her, she could only take in what was given to her puppy senses.

For a moment she thought that there might be someone shouting, but it must have been the creaking of the ice, and her small ears. Looking up she heard it again and violet eyes searched for the maker. They fell upon a dark wolf, unfamiliar in sight and smell. She immediately became weak in posture, the stranger’s tone and words telling her that what she was doing was completely incorrect.

The back female seemed to be very different then the wolves she was used to. The fact that she smelled different then the rest made it almost impossible figure out where she really belonged, because it wasn’t in her pack! The knowledge of the fact gave her just a bit of confidence. She repeated the idea in her head, you don’t belong here. a few more times. Then the fourth time she spoke it aloud, You don bewong heres. Her small voice spout out, unsure how the grown wolfess would feel about her accusation she stood very still and waited.

[/html]
[html]
Lol!

Ugh. She shouldn't have even spoken to it; maybe if she hadn't said anything it would have wandered off on its own. Ember frowned when she felt a little bit of tension on her rod, pulling up a little bit. Nothing. She had a bowl full of numb, un-moving worms sitting next to her, and she reeled in the line to put another one on the hook. The fish in this area were really smart....they kept grabbing her bait without getting the hook. She would have to make sure that the worm was on really securely before the next time she put it in.

She took one worm out of the bowl and put the rod between her knees to hold it steady. She forced the hook through the small creature over and over again, making sure that it was on there really well before she answered the pup. "Yeah? And what're you gonna do about it, Pipsqueak?"

[/html]
[html]

What was she saying? Mati couldn’t concentrate with all the movement the werewolf was making with the stick. The earthen hued pup had gotten closer and closer in hopes of figuring out what she was doing. What ever it was, it looked complicated and maybe fun looking.

Blinking she realized that the dark fey was talking to her, and it was a challenge. Ears back for a moment while she process the others objection the little pup was truly unsure what she was going to do. She had to do something? Wouldn’t her mothers come and take care of this renegade?

All thoughts were extinguished as she watched the rod and the little thing that hung on the line. I’ll get my mommas. A pause for a little more examination and the discovery of the bowl that hide some new mystery. They’ll tell your mommas. There! Now all she needed to do was figure out what a pipqueak was.

[/html]
[html]
edit: Sorry about that! That was definitely speech <33

She held onto the line and leaned over the hole a little bit, dropping the weighted hook into the water. She should have known the little girl wouldn't understand her. Or at least, the content of what she was saying. Ember wasn't used to talking to pups...maybe she was a little out of practice. "Yeah, well I know your mom. She's my sister. So you won't get very far with that one." She set the rod down onto the rocks that it had been sitting on before she'd been disturbed, turning to look at Mati. "What're you doing all the way out here, anyway? It's dangerous for someone like you to be out here by the ice. You could fall in."

[/html]
[html]

very slight pp, forgive me

This female might just be the most interesting wolf she had ever met. Saturated purple eyes looked her all over, seeing that she was made unlike anyone else. Her arm and built different then any werewolf she had seen, and she had never seen anyone play in the lake like she did. The differences were overwhelming.

You knows momma Nani ors momma Anu? She questioned, wondering who had a sister and why they had never told her. There was so much that they hadn’t told her yet. She didn’t feel like they were keeping things from her, but still lit wasn’t fair for her to be the last to know.

I haves a sister too, Brooklyn. But shes mean. There would be a day when she would forgive her sister for her teasing, but she still had a lot of growing up to do. Looking at the ice her ear folded against her head, Is just touching it. She spoke meekly, feeling like she had been scolded.

The line that was almost invisible to her young eyes jumped, bringing it to life and startling her. Wah was that?!? She hoped backward but took the step forward to see what else was different about this stranger.

[/html]
[html]
SHE IS SO CUTE. <3 Ember doesn't think so, though XD I think I may turn Ember into a bit of a homophobe, too. >_> Just for some variation Big Grin And Ember's being kind of mean ^^;;;; BUT ILU. You can pp the fish if you want Big Grin

Ember could remember being that age herself, small and inquisitive...but it didn't last long. Soon enough little Mati would be learning about the world, about all the dangers...and about all the horrible wolves out there in it. It would probably change her...warp her, like it had Ember. Once upon a time she'd been exactly like Mati. Well...except for the fact that she'd had a father. For a while, anyway. Ember didn't know where he was right now.

She had always thought that there was something a little strange about Naniko, with her always being so happy and upbeat all the time, and now she knew for sure that there was something weird about her. She'd become mated to a female, first of all...and she'd raised her pups with her. It was kind of disturbing, really, the thought of them together. How messed up would their kid be when she found out that her parents weren't normal?

"I know Naniko." She turned in her chair to look down at the pup, shrugging. "My sister was a bitch when I was younger too. But now we're doing okay. We can talk, at least. I'd just stay away from Brooklyn--she sounds like bad news."

Ember looked back to the line when it jumped a little, pulling up. Ah! She'd caught something. Finally. "The reason..." She started, "Why it's bad for you to go near the ice is because you could fall in. And then you'd drown."

[/html]
[html]

To the naïve pup there was nothing more natural then having to moms. Not truly understanding what a father even was, she didn’t miss having one. Two moms meant two pairs of eyes to watch Brooklyn, and to save her from the pups teasing. Two meant double the kisses on scrapped knees, and always someone there to wipe away tears.

She sat, eyes staring up at the larger female. Taking in all the words she spoke, even though she spoke really fast and said things that didn’t make much sense. What was a bitch, and how could she stay away from someone that living in the same cave as she did? She almost missed the warning the dark fem gave while she thoughts about it all.

But I likes the water. She claimed, not to sure what drowning really was. Well, what you doing? Are yous drowning? Maybe drowning was playing around the water, or was it just touching it?

[/html]
[html]

She didn't know what it was about pups that she didn't like, exactly. Maybe it was the fact that they were so dependent on their mothers or caretakers. Ember had been very, very dependent on Phoenix when she had been little...and look where it had gotten her now. If she had been taught how to be more independent, she might not have ended up this way. Losing Phoenix had been devastating.

"I'm fishing." She answered shortly. "Getting them out of this water so I can eat them. Didn't your parents teach you anything?" Probably not. "If you go under the water and don't come back out for a while, and you can't breathe...then you're drowning. If you go in there and get stuck under the ice, then you can't come back up for air." It was the most she'd spoken to the pup. Ember yanked on her line, pulling a large fish up out of the water. It flopped about on the line, fighting, and she pulled it over to the shore. The pup wasn't too close, and the fish landed between them, still flopping around. "It's as big as you are" She commented. "A good catch."

[/html]
[html]

It was all so intriguing, to catch something from the lake and then eat it. Of course she would need to see it to truly understand it. But the idea of seeing a fish up close was something out of a bedtime story. But the other thing the stranger had spoken of was something that she could experiment with herself.

To not breathe, Mati pondered over the idea. Brows crossed and she inhaled a deep breath. Holding it, her chest began to hurt and her eyes started to tear. She couldn’t keep it in. the air rushed out of her mouth and she inhaled as quickly as she could. Chest buffing up and down Mati realized that the female wolf was talking again.

Still a little dizzy it was hard to focus on the thing that flopped on the lakeshore. It was like magic, dipping the almost invisible line into the water, then a moment later a fish would appear at the end of it. Purple eyes looked in awe, her tail wagging so quickly that her entire body wiggled with it. She bounded from paw to paw around the fish.

Looks! Looks! Eyes danced between the older female and back to the fish. Well, whats do we dos now??

[/html]
[html]

The pup was just a little bit cute. Just a little. But she wouldn't let that get to her. Pups were silly, stupid little creatures. They depended on their parents for everything, and had to believe whatever they were told by everyone. Ember could tell her that unicorns existed and she would have to believe it...because she didn't know any better. They were just...impressionable. But the least that she could do was tell her the truth about the fish...make it into some kind of weird lesson, or something. "We get the hook out of it. It's not good to eat hooks--they're made of metal. Hard stuff. It would hurt our tummies to eat it."

Mati knew that they were going to eat the fish, though, right? Oh well. It'd be a new lesson if she hadn't known that fact. "Then we rip it open and spill all the guts out into the water. Some of the organs don't taste real nice either." She yanked the hook out of the fish's lip and slit it open with one claw, digging inside and pulling out the undesired parts, tossing them into the water. "It'll attract more fish, after a little while. But this is good for now, just this one." She dipped the fish into the water, cleaning it out a little better, then lifted it back up. "And now it's ready to eat. Or cook. You just gotta watch for bones."

[/html]
[html]

sorry for the wait!

Eyes watched with ever growing curiosity. Her head leaned in to get a better look at the werewolf’s actions. The fish flopped, held high in the air, its tail twisting and fins flapping as if hoping to swim through the air and away from the pair. Ears listened, but her brain didn’t fully process the words her new friend spoke.

Eat? it was the only really word she understood in her distracted mind. Before her could blink the fish’s guts were flying and the smell of death coated the insides of her nose, and hung heavy in the air. It was nauseating, the sight and smell. The killing of the fish left her wide eyed, having had no idea that the outcome of the game would be its death.

She was light headed, tired and her breath was lost to the death-ridden wind. She blinked, hoping to wake herself of the dizziness. Once only made her mind foggier and when she blinked a second time her lids refused to open.

[/html]
[html]

She looked back at the younger girl. She could barely even remember when she had been that age. Who had first taught her to fish? To hunt? She didn't know. Probably Phoenix, though; he'd been really involved in her life. And the pack had been really supportive. Were the Crimson Dreams wolves supportive of Mati? Why was she out running around by herself, anyway?

Ember frowned. What was wrong with Mati? "You okay, Kiddo? What's wrong? We can cook it--I'll start us a fire." She got up, kicking away some of the brush and pulling a few sticks into a pile. After all that had happened, the kid could probably use a meal. "What about fire? You wanna see some fire?" She asked, trying to draw her attention away from the fish.

[/html]
[html]

Eye lids fluttered, and her breath had returned to her hungry lungs. The dizziness subsided, but the smell was still in the air, The black female spoke to her her, though the wards seemed jumbled and mixed in her clouded mind. Something about a fire, and maybe food. She nodded, hoping for water as well.

She stepped backward, away from the death that had almost made her faint. whooohs Her little voice squeaked as she sat on her rump in hoped of stabling herself. The sticks had been jumbled together and her friend had been working on getting a fire going.

Cold air fresh and without the scent of the fish guts swept passed her nose, giving her new life. Mommas Anu makes fire, but she wonts teach me. her voice was drowsy but clearer then before. Maybe this wolf would be able to show her how to spark the flames, and forget the bloody insides of the murdered fish.

[/html]
[html]

She was glad that the girl was recovering, that she hadn't frightened her too much. That was another reason why she didn't like pups so much; she never knew how to act around them. Should she be extra, sugary sweet? That would be misleading, wouldn't it? Not every person that Mati would come across in the future would be really really nice.

"It's not too hard." She said, picking up the two rocks. "You can probably only make one once you learn how to shift, like me. And like your...mothers." She couldn't say "mom and dad". "You just click these two rocks together. It's like magic, don't you think? Then you pick up the fish and throw it on there. It cooks...and then you take it off with a stick so you don't get burnt." She put the fish over the flame as it grew, adding more sticks around the edges.

[/html]
[html]

Her stomach had finally settled, and she began to feel much more like herself. Keeping eyes away from the fish she focused on the wolf’s movements, and listened to the instructions. It was like magic, just as she said. A few clicks of the flint and the sparks flew fitting the dry tinder to make the flames.

Wow. Her voice was hushed, proclaiming the amazement to herself. Her tail wagged behind her, trying to stay calm enough that she didn’t annoy the older wolfess. She knew when she was being a nuisance, well sometimes she did. Keeping her distance, Mati crouched down to see how the sticks were aligned and how the fires fed from the bottom up.

Feeling reflective, Mati sat right beside her new friend taking in the warmth of the fire. Violet eyes looked at the onyx colored fey, her head cocked when she wasn’t able to put a name to her face. All this time and she never introduced herself.

Was your name?

[/html]
[html]

She didn't like pups. She didn't. Ember wasn't sure what it was about Mati that she didn't mind so much; really, the girl was pretty nice. Most pups she'd met were loud, yappy little things...but Mati didn't seem to be that way at all. She was quiet, like Ember. But just because she was quiet didn't mean that she wasn't smart. She didn't really mind showing her things, either. They were kind of related, in a sense. "I'm Ember Phoenix. Your mom is my sister...so I'm your aunt, I suppose. You're Mati, aren't you?"

But maybe the little pup didn't know what an aunt was. "So if you ever get into trouble, you can come find me. I can beat someone up for you." She nodded. "Especially that sister of yours. If you ever want me to put 'er in her place." She wouldn't beat up a pup, of course, but Mati could always use that as a threat. Ember would probably just scare Brooklyn until she gave up on teasing Mati.

The food was done cooking, and she pulled it back off of the fire. "Just have to wait a teeny bit...we have to let it cool down before we can eat it"

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... anner1.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

end soon? i loved this thread!

She looked a little surprised when Ember already knew he name. it had never occurred to the pup that there may just be wolves out there that knew of her, and she hadn’t even met them. She was intrigued by the idea of an aunt, and liked that she was someone that Mati could retreat to if she was a problem with her sister. Such a tease that pure coated girl was, having someone that would scold her more then her mothers would be convenient. She smiled at the idea, before focusing on the meal they were about to share.

Mati sat thoughtfully for a minute or two as they waited for the fish to cool. She had been quiet for sometime before she had found the words that she though were perfect. There were moments that called for extra thought in the choice of words, and she wanted to be sure she expressed her gratitude for all of Ember’s help and guidance.

Wells, Aunty Ember. She paused to reflect on the darker female’s face, Your nots a bitch, at alls. She smiled to herself, eyes on the fish that steamed in the cool air.

[/html]
[html]

She was getting the fish separated into two different parts, half for the pup and half for herself, when little Mati spoke. Oh...perfect. Ember didn't know if she would go around repeating the words she'd just accidentally taught her, but if she did...well, it wasn't her problem. Maybe Naniko would teach her kids what bad words were. Wasn't really Ember's job.

"Well, thanks. I don't think you're one either" She handed the pup her food, then went to eating.

[/html]