two paths
Zana was beginning to become a handful as she'd become old enough to wobble and attempt to crawl. Now it seemed she took every chance she could to bring trouble to the Nuncio's world. Skylar had moved on from her apprenticeship duties and DaVinci was glad to see that she'd taken to watching over her grandmother, though he could tell that the elder was less than pleased to be restrained in more ways than one. He let them work it out though, since raising the small pup was enough for him at the moment.

Scooping up the little bundle of energy DaVinci gathered the small assortment of bottles he'd found in the city, something he'd been surprised to realize were intended to nurse human pups, after looking at the books that were arranged along the shelves of the store he'd visited. The whole place had been filled with odd contraptions and strange nests. He had taken what he thought he needed and after a few quickly learned mistakes with the help of Skylar and Deuce they'd figured out how to get the whole system to run smoothly. DaVinci had never milked a cow and the whole idea was rather strange to him, but oddly enough the beast was placid and allowed him to struggle once more at some new found skill that he hoped he wouldn't have to use again after this was all over with. By the time his mother's wounds along her ribs and chest would start to heal it was apparent that her milk supply would be gone as well.

DaVinci knew that Deuce was pregnant too, but Zana couldn't wait forever and Deuce would have her own to worry with. Thus, the male found himself as wetnurse to his own half-sibling and over time realized that his mother was drawing away from the lot of them. He could deposit Zana by her side for warmth when she was stretched out by the fire but the mother did little more than reach down and sniff the girl before turning away and closing her eyes again. The affection he'd seen towards the litter once was gone, the trama having thrown her into some world he couldn't follow.

He cast his eyes across the room to where his daughter and mother lay, a soft sigh escaping his lips as he filled the bottles with milk and capped them off, nestling the cold product in the blankets next to Zana before heading out the door and off to feed the lifestock. He had borders to patrol today and work himself to be done.. he hadn't realized just how much his mother had contributed to the lands until she'd turned away from the position of Matriarch brokenhearted.

Standing in the doorway to the barn DaVinci listened to the soft grinding of the animals content in their food as the warmth of their spicy scents filled the air. He didn't know why but over time the smell of the ranch, the seasoned hay, the odor of the cattle, the sweet grains.. it had become soothing to his heart and soul. The male moved to the pile of hay where Zana was working on attempting to escape, with a swift scoop of one paw he lifted her up and settled down where she'd been, laying the girl on his belly as he stared into her strange grey lilac eyes but said nothing.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... parrow.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">

wc382

--

Jefferson had always found a fondness for the livestock ever since their first meeting, when he had first stumbled into the pack starved to skin and bones, hardly breathing, and whose only strength at the time was in his mind and wit rather than his muscles. This goes without saying, of course, that the brute's sarcastic wit had never left him even when his stomach and muscles recuperated and he became healthy again, but the fondness for the animals was still there. He couldn't explain it, really; they were dumb, stupid animals who had once allowed the starved Jefferson to doze off unheeded in their haystacks when the weather was warm, and at other times watched when he'd thrown food out for them or sat on the fence and stared stupidly at them. He'd become well built again, though still on the thin size, but no longer looked sickly and emaciated as he once had. Now with more and more responsibilities, his free time ran thin, but in meandering past the ranch decided to pay a visit to the animals just in case, and found them in fine condition.

And, at the same time, he found DaVinci and his new little... what, third cousin? Second? Hell, he hated family trees; they were too complicated. Jefferson stepped out into the sunlight, a comfortable smirk on his face as he leaned against the barn wall and watched them dawdling with the haystacks. He admired the youth of the child, almost envied its enthusiasm for life, and idly spoke up at the silver-furred male. "I have a half-sibling too, you know," he observed calmly, raising a brow. "But he's an ass from Dahlia de Mai. There's a few of them over there. Good to see you get along with yours." He tried to avoid the subject of Iskata and her misery--he could only wonder where he was, and although his pity ran high, tried to keep it cast from his mind. Jefferson hadn't even bothered to greet the opposite hybrid--they'd started out so rocky, and now, a month or two later, the silver-furred creature's rank was hardly below his own. DaVinci had turned out to be of more actual use than Jefferson had even assumed--when, of course, DaVinci actually gave in and joined the pack.

[/html]
DaVinci turned his head slightly when he'd heard the approach of another, at the sight of Jefferson he smirked slightly but kept his focus on Zana who was attempting to eat his wrist as she growled and yapped quietly. When Jefferson commenting on having a sibling and the next remark that followed he did nothing but laugh, the reply slipping out before he could even stop it. "Yeah, I can believe that. I've had the pleasure of meeting him once or twice. Funny, he reminded me of you.. some." His eyes danced in the light as he taunted the male. Haku wasn't much at all like Jefferson except for the time DaVi had found him broading over god knows what and had delivered the knews of Firefly into his paws. He probably shouldn't have even went about in that manner to get the issue resolved but attempting to kidnap his wildchild of a sister without the packleader knowing could have ended badly for him.

He shook his head at the memory and turnened Zana over onto her back just to hear her protest. Flashing Jefferson another grin he raised a brow as he scuffed. "Yeah, so hard to get along when she doesn't even know who I really am yet." The girl continued her yoddling coyote grumble even after she'd gathered her wobbly feet under her. To silence the child DaVinci pushed her back over into the hay and surendered one of the bottles of milk to the child to attack. "She probably think I'm her mother by now.." he said with a bit of bitterness as he narrowed his eyes at Jefferson. "You wanna be daddy?" he asked, knowing the poor kid already had a mixed up enough family without trying to confuse her more but he doubted she understood a damn thing they were saying, or so he hoped.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... parrow.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
wc209

---

"'Daddy'?" He scoffed, a wider grin unleashed onto his face. Oddly enough, he had been a bit more chipper, more upbeat as of late, despite the trauma that the pack had witnessed over the past few weeks. Jefferson was in charge of it all, managing the pack from beneath Iskata and Deuce and managing his responsibilities well, but fatherhood? It had never even crossed his mind. Hell, what kind of father would the hybrid be? Sure, he had something of a soft spot for the little tots and their young, reckless behavior--they were cute, but nobody needed to know he thought that.

Jefferson began to step closer, snickering lightly to himself. "Hell if I'll run into him again for family matters. The only reason we'd speak is if the packs required it." They were both leaders, after all. Jefferson knelt down and ruffled Zana's hair and fur, a sparkle in his eye as he did so. "She doesn't know who any of us are yet. Doesn't know how tragic her whole family is. She'll learn soon enough." Standing back straight, Jefferson rolled his shoulder and peered at the silver-furred creature and smirked. "Kids aren't my thing. Tyrone's a good kid, you know. Don't think I could raise one myself."

[/html]
When the word was repeated DaVinci caught himself grinning in response to the other. He had no clue what sort of father Jefferson might ever make but he'd never even considered what he would have been like as one either and here he was with two of his own and one he would play the part to it seemed. Turning his stormy orbs back to Jefferson the devilish grin returned as he piped up. "You'll never know unless you try." After a pause his brows furrowed seriously as he continued. "Though I can't think of any girl who would have such an ugly brute.." Suddenly as though he had been met with brilliance. "..Unless she has been drinking." He gifted Jefferson with a smug smile right before he yawned. The small child was rather good at keeping him up at strange hours. He was sure glad he didn't have to do this all the time, the silvery steele male had a new respect for mothers that he doubted he would forget.

DaVinci had nodded at the words Jefferson spoke of Haku, though he knew otherwise that though they were both leaders they were also family on some very strange levels. He smiled and shook his head as he surrended Zana to Jeffer's attention, watching as she tried to abandon her bottle and take aim at the paw that was rolling her to and fro. The words he spoke made DaVinci reply without even thinking. "I wish she didn't have to.." Though Jefferson might thing it slightly amusing, this strange tragic family they all had DaVinci wished that Zana didn't have to know the full extend of it all. He granted the pup the bottle again to attack as he said softly. "Mother won't have anything to do with her anymore.." He knew he shouldn't have said it but it was obvious the woman was slipping further and further away mentally even while her body grew stronger and stronger.

He sighed and gazed into the dusty barn as he shook his head. "You're not suppose to raise a child by yourself.." he said. He didn't think that Jefferson would abandon a child he had sired if he knew of the child but he didn't expect to see the male have to raise one either. There would always be puppies abandoned and somehow they might be lucky enough to find their way to the edge of a pack and be taken in. Perhaps Jefferson would end up father to someon else's unwanted get.. but there was always the chance that love could even find it's way to a brute.

Granting his strange friend a weary grin he remarked "I'm sure we could manage to raise them between us though! Just for you I'll play Mommy." The crude sexual tease in his words were probably the worst choice at the moment but DaVinci was strange thatway and he knew the other male wouldn't take him seriously, or atleast he hoped so.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... itable.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
--

Jefferson's expression grew thickly sarcastic at DaVinci's mentioning of ugly brute this, drinking that... His scowl lengthened and he raised a brow, suddenly stretching his shoulders and releasing a long yawn before smirking coyly at his silver-furred comrade. "Well, shit," he remarked, "at least I'd get her all night long and she wouldn't know a damn thing. Yours will be haunted the rest of her life." A little uncharacteristic a statement for Jefferson, it seemed, but regardless it resulted in a few haughty cackles and the clearing of his throat as he returned to seriousness when DaVinci moved on to more important matters.

Jefferson paused to ponder the possibilities of Iskata's wisdom now that she was stepping down, and he frowned somewhat pessimistically. "She's going to mope around a while," he commented freely, regardless of how harsh it may have been. "She'll get over it... probably watch the pups or do storytelling or something. I don't know; I'm only half blind." He shrugged. Of course, when the topic returned to fatherhood and children, the crude look in Jefferson's eye returned. Hadn't DaVinci figured out that the possibility--nor the willingness--for children in the hybrid's future was unlikely and unwanted altogether? There was no sex drive in Jefferson, somehow. He simply just... was. Could be quite the unhappy lifestyle, really, but hell if he cared what he was "missing". "Can it," he smirked, resisting a chuckle, "I'd sooner throw 'em to the bears." A lie, of course, but who needed to know?

[/html]
DaVinci's eyes flicked back to Jefferson for a moment when he cracked back at the silvery hybrid's taunts. For once instead of coming back with a remark he just turned away and to the silence, his mind haunted by thoughts of the girl he hoped would want to spend the rest of her life with him.. and yet their lives made that impossible. Just one moment in time he regretted teasing the male that he knew had no problem finding ways of shotting right back at him. His stormy eyes darkened as he growled slightly. "Too bad I'll never know.." he said as his ears pinned back against his skull.

He rolled Zana over with his hand as she began to chew on the bottle instead of drink from it. He listened half heartedly as Jefferson tried to come to some wise decision of how Iskata would recover after all was said and done. DaVinci was silent a moment before he just shook his head, knowing better than Jefferson the way the woman was. "She's too proud.." He hated being so negative about the horror that his mother was going through but he had known the woman he had seen her world become twisted and warped, spiraling downhill until it seemed like nothing could save her. He bared his fangs as he chuckled darkly. "Only some bastard that made her believe she was his everything save her last time.. and then he disappeared into the smokey haze after the fire died down.." Anyone who knew the family could and would tell you there was little love between Iskata's second mate and her firstborn son and there never would be. Right from the start Phoenix had it in his head that DaVinci was a bad egg, perhaps he was right but it didn't matter now, DaVinci was here now and Phoenix was gone.

When Jefferson finally gave him an answer on how he felt about children DaVinci just shook his head and picked Zana up and handed her over to the leader as he raised a brow. "Gonna start with this one? She'd probably thank you for it.." He shook his head as he pulled at the puppy's ears. "You know.. ease the pain of having to deal with those like Deuce and all." DaVinci knew that Deuce could only stand the set of hybrids in her mist because they were all relatives of her friends but he doubted that would hold true if any of them joined the darker side of their blood and walked with the clan. He turned his eyes towards Jefferson as he asked. "You even think about joining Inferni.. I mean, wolves, coyotes.. only difference is appearance?" The male was only thinking of Ryan at the moment and the clan he could never join but now.. second hand thoughts were ruining him.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... itable.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Is DaVi serious? XD Jefferson, adopting?
.... -kind of squees at the thought of Papa Jefferson- ^^~~
Also... This is my new favorite thread... it just got so much better... DaVi and Jeffer threads are my favorites... ^^

DaVinci sunk a little at Jefferson's remark--the first that he'd ever seen the silver-furred male do, actually. Normally, DaVinci was more than happy to argue or remark something witty back to Jefferson like some sort of brother-like rivalry, but the hybrid instead frowned and turned away. Jefferson didn't regret his words. He never regretted much of anything, really, but he didn't regret a joke. He didn't tell enough of them for them to be regrettable. But the one-eyed brute did frown and think over his comrade's response. Jefferson had never heard the story about DaVinci's personal life, the creation of his children, or the whereabouts of their mother... the thought hadn't occurred to him, but now he was struck unusually curious for the concept was especially tender for the normally easygoing and responsive DaVinci. He kept his trap shut then, as DaVinci moved on to explain his mother's mental condition and past, which surprisingly Jefferson already had a certain knowledge of. Just as DaVinci was delicate with his kids' mother, Iskata had been about her long-lost, pathetic mate. Jefferson had never understood mateship or any of that crap. Love wasn't his thing, and he wasn't planning on making it his 'thing' anytime in his future.

"That's true; she's proud," he replied, scratching at his chin. He'd known this already, but had just sort of figured that Iskata would bounce back. The brute supposed that her own son probably knew her better than he, and decided he stood corrected. "She's got family here now, though. You, her daughter, her grandkids, and me too, even though it's distant." He wondered if DaVinci knew of that relation yet, but didn't dwindle on the thought long before the bright-eyed nuisance child was suddenly pointed at him, bright eyes and teething face all ablaze. Jefferson gave the whelp a strange, bewildered look; it was the closest he'd been to something that young. He had no experience with pups, and yet, found himself raising his good hand and wrapping his dark fingers around her tiny, lithe little frame. She was so... small, fitting inside his hand like a turtle into its shell. His eye suddenly donned a quiet, intrigued look, and he simply held his arm out stiffly like so in staring at her for a long moment.

"I only have one arm," he said quietly, a foreign sadness in his voice. He couldn't control it, and he didn't even notice it. The brute's attention was carefully focused on the child, wondering if his grip was too tight or if she was afraid of him. He was positive that she would have to be afraid of a cyclops, scarred monster like he. There was no love for a creature like he. "I couldn't even hold her in my arms," he continued, voice in a sad, quiet daze. He pulled his arm a little closer, carefully, and his eye raised to look at DaVinci. It held no pain, no desperation--just a sad, delicate intensity; a side he had never really known, or seen in himself. He did not notice his own behavior. "Children deserve that kind of love... I don't know that I could ever give that to an adult, let alone a... pup." However, he tried to maneuver her closer, holding up the hand of his bad arm within its sling for safety reasons as he managed to balance her on his arm, turning his gaze to softly look down upon her. So small, she was... He'd never known. DaVinci didn't need to know that Jefferson had never had such contact with such a toddler; that was, if he couldn't already tell. He didn't immediately respond to DaVinci's next line, but when he did, his eye quietly returned back to the silver-furred male. His tone of voice had changed, softer than it had ever been, as unintentional as that was. "Inferni? No... I haven't thought about being in any of the other packs in the area. I don't have time to, and, well... I like it here." He didn't usually admit such things. "I have no racism in me. Wolves, coyotes... I don't care. I've heard things about Inferni, and they sound like too much of a hassle to me."

[/html]
Oddly enough while Rhae was often on his mind he knew the girl was strong and would do fine without them. She might miss the company of the silvery hybrid and her two energetic children but she was a fighter and she was a dreamer. She'd probably already moved on and had twisted their sad tale into such an adventure that the soldiers and the sailors were rolling and slapping their knees. That wasn't the worry on his mind though, his mind seemed to linger more on a russet hued woman with crimson orbs. Ryan hadn't made their lives easy with her choice in Inferni but there was nothing he could do about that. She lived on one side of the line and he had chosen the other. DaVinci was quiet a moment longer before he asked. "What do you think Deuce would do if one of Inferni's members showed up on our border?" He was afraid of the answer but he knew that Ryan would come looking for him, he'd already told her where he and the children had settled. He knew she wasnt' stupid but she didn't know what type of wolves she'd be dealing with here in Phoenix Valley, not everyone was open to seeing their mixed heritage looming on the outskirts of anywhere.

DaVinci rubbed his fingers along Zana's ear again as he thought of his mother and her recent step down. He didn't really know what to think of what she'd done, she loved the pack with her whole heart and it was her greatest acomplishment. Jefferson's assurance of what all she had for her there didn't surprise him, and it shouldn't have surprised him either that Jefferson had somehow turned out to be another long lost relative. With a slight smug smirk he stated. "I told you she'd make you into a son or something somehow.." Though it turned out that Jefferson hasn't needed adopted into their family it was still a strange warped bit of amusement.

DaVinci turned his eyes to Jefferson as he asked, "Do you think she did the right thing?" He was doubtful of the choice his mother had made but there was nothing they could do about it except just sit there and wonder and wait to see what would happen. He really didn't like that idea but he could live with it, it wasn't like he didn't have enough to keep him busy as was.

Twisting to his side to watch in amusement as Jefferson seemed to turn into such an insecure and frightened creature when presented with something so small and helpless. He smiled quietly and let Jefferson take his time at examining the small squirming pup that had suddenly been abandoned by her mother onlt to fall into the hands of a bunch of men who didn't know what exactly they were doing but trying their best to make it through.

The sudden change in the normally smart mouth outspoken brute was surprising to DaVinci as the soft words slipped from his maw. DaVinci hadn't thought that anything could pierce through the hard shell that the male had build, he'd almost seen it crumble when he'd brought Iskata back from the forest but now it seemed that something so simple had ended the reign of power. Picking up a piece of straw and nibbling on it DaVinci chuckled. "She doesn't know any different..." he said as he gazed at the little girl that seemed to be trying to gnaw on the scarred up hybrid's fingers. Brushing his bangs back as he was met with such a new and unique side of his friend. "I thought love wasn't your thing.." he said as he smiled smuggly. "She's already got you wrapped around her little fingers doesn't she?" He knew that the baby did that, she'd done it to the whole family.. and yet her own mother seemed to fear the child now that everything she'd known had been taken from before her face. The blindness had been her downfall and she'd fallen faster than he'd ever thought was possbile.

He turned his face away from the private scene that seemed to be forming before him as Jefferson finally answered his questions on the clan. DaVinci's ears flicked back as he sighed and shook his head. "It's not about what they want us to be.. or who they want us to hate." He narrowed his eyes as he thought of the leader of Inferni, not once had Gabriel spoken of his choice in not coming to Inferni on that meeting.. it had been the choice of who he loved that had made the hybrid leader turn him away so brashly, not knowing his full story or reasons why. He just shook his head and admitted. "It's not the clan that draws me there.."
[html]
--

Jefferson straightened a little when DaVinci specified a bit on his Inferni talk... and the brute nodded his head understandingly, resisting all urges to smirk and mock him. Of course, the urge vanished when he came to ponder how Deuce might react, and he rolled his eye sarcastically. "She'd throw a fit," he shrugged, not sparing any of the details. "Scream at them, threaten them, probably rip their skin off if they interject. And if Lucifer was around, maybe she'd send her little piss-on after them for the hell of it." The way he spoke, it was obvious that the cyclops didn't approve of their relationship in the least. He found it annoying, really, but mostly because he detested Lucifer to no end. His eye returned to DaVinci, knowing that would discourage him, and frowned. "It wouldn't work out, DaVi. Not here." He grew silent a moment, eye straying, before adding: "However, if I was the one to meet them and let them in, well... you might have some more luck. I didn't have much of a choice when you came wandering on our lands that first time either." If she was anything like the silver-furred rival of his, well, there wasn't much more to be said on that.

When it came to Iskata, though, he sighed. "No, I don't," he said sternly, returning his eye down to the child balanced on his arm. "She loses her sight and thinks the world is over. It's no good trying to convince her. I've given up." His brows furrowed and his eye thinned, turning his gaze elsewhere as his whole demeanor suddenly turned black. "I thought she was strong and kindhearted. She was supposed to be a leader. One accident changed everything... and now I know I was wrong." He paused, voice grave. "She abandoned her kid and the whole pack because she was too busy wallowing in it all. I don't know that I can forgive her for that." And sadly enough, what he said was true.

He glared at DaVinci when he spoke of love and Zana again, scowling. "It isn't my thing. That's the point." He looked down at the cub a long moment before frowning and setting her down on the ground, free to romp around or do whatever it was children did amongst themselves. "Her mother's love would be better than anything else... let alone mine." He straightened up again at the return to the Inferni conversation, and finally, his face lit up a little and the beginnings of a weary smirk showed on his face. "There's someone special there, I get it." He chuckled. "Who?"

[/html]
He couldn't help but chuckle darkly at the image that Jefferson was granting at Deuce meeting up with any Inferni member at their border. DaVinci had know she'd react thatway but he just had to hear it out in the open to really know what he was getting himself into. He shook his head and just noted that he would have to be smart about this all if the crimson eyed beauty was going to have such a hold on his heart. He wished it was easier than what they had before them but he knew there was no easy road for the two hybrids. A soft sigh escaped his lips as Jefferson went on, trying to find some better ground on the conversation.

He shook his head as Jefferson brought up the fact that he could help, DaVinci really didn't need to get the only other adult hybrid in the pack in trouble with Deuce or Lucifer just because DaVinci was too weak hearted to find love outside the damnable clan that hated wolves with such a passion. He knew that Ryan was nothing like the rest of them but she still was one of them and no matter how he argued he knew her home scent would betray her.. just like his would do the same. "I can't let you get in the middle of this Jefferson.." he said with a murmur as he turned towards Zana who was trying to chew through Jefferson's fingers. A soft smile played at his lips at the sight as he thought of their mother and what she'd given up on.

Jefferson's words didn't help his train of thought as he spoke of Iskata and the accident. DaVinci had kept quiet long enough and he wasn't going to let his mother's 'accident' go down as nothing more that just that. She didn't deserve the disproval and loss of faith she was getting, even if it was just to Jefferson that he opened up atleast the thoughts would be one less on his mind. "She lied to us.." He said gravely as he shook his head, knowing that he was just digging himself in even deeper if he went on.. but he knew Jefferson would want an explaination now. "She hadn't been alone the day she'd been attacked.." he lowered his eyes to his sister's form as he brushed a finger along her ribcage. "I went back there, where you'd found her." Why, he wasn't for certain. He'd had enough rage built up in him to have killed the damn beast that had mauled his mother but he'd never had to get that far, at the scene that had played out before the bear's lair the scent of the other wolf had been enough to explain too much. She'd murmured about accidents and attacks the day she'd been attacked. DaVinci had never known an attack from a wild creature to be an accident.. he knew his mother's ways of covering up.. behing doped up and half dead hadn't made her as excellent liar as she'd believed.

He just shook his head as sighed as Jefferson released the silly puppy who instantly went to attacking her bottle. Rolling the girl onto her back DaVinci suffered the bottle over to her as she began to greedily slurp and squeak over the contents. He flicked his eyes to Jefferson as he admitted. "It would.. but we can't make her give Zana what is rightfully her's.. but we can give her a love she deserves.." He knew he was guilting the other male into it all but he'd caught the sight of Jefferson with the other pups in the past and rather than taunt and tease him about his softer side he's just let it be. They were a lot alike and yet sadly Jefferson seemed to believe himself untouchable.

When his ears were met with the chuckle from the other male DaVinci tossed a handful of hay at the other male and sighed. He shook his head and gazed down at his hands as he gave him the truth. "Her name's Ryan.." It sound so stupid now admitting the whole truth of it all. "Their leader thinks nothing of me, he knows how I feel about her.. and yet because I have children outside our relationship he doesn't want me near her.." He let a soft intake of breath hiss between his teeth as he gave the big secret away. "She's a de le Poer..." He wasn't even for certain if Jefferson knew the blood feud between the clan and Clouded Tears, the crossings between the Sadiras and the de le Poers.. they were all tangled and twisted in so many ways.. and of course he'd find love in the very middle of the briar patch.
[html]
--

Their conversation was meeting every thick-hearted emotion there was--love, hate, sadness, fun... and everything in between, somehow. There was a sort of rawness to the brute whenever Jefferson found himself talking to DaVinci; the cyclops didn't hold up his guard, knew he didn't have to teach him anything, knew the silver-furred rival of his was as smart as he was. Out of the few people that Jefferson had come to call his actual companions, DaVinci had become one of them. Somehow, the idiot had become trustworthy. But when he admitted that one-eyed creature could not be put in the middle, well, Jefferson frowned and watched him, choosing not to interfere with his decision there... at least, not yet.

"What?" Jefferson grunted grimly when an accomplice was somehow entered into the conversation. It hadn't even crossed his mind that someone could have assisted in Iskata's attack--why hadn't he asked? Why hadn't she said something? His head spun a brief moment, but the brute shook it off and inhaled deeply, closing his eye a moment to regain his composure. It was in the past, yes, and worrying about it now wouldn't do anything. He'd worry about it later... when it could be acted upon, no doubt. "We'll get him somehow, DaVinci," the brute shrugged. The anger bubbled beneath, but it was somehow stifled at its surface. "Not just for Iskata's sake... for Zana's, yours, mine, and everyone else." And he meant it.

He figured the love that Zana deserved, well... "You know how to treat kids, DaVi," he said quietly, watching the child now that she had been set free from his grip. "You know how to love them. I can do what I can, but... you're the one who can do the best for her. ...You know that."

His tone changed completely, when a new came come up. His expression brightened altogether, ears perked, and a smirk slid across his face. "Ryan?" he laughed openly, shaking his head. The irony and coincidence was thick. "Small world, DaVinci. She's a good kid." Now that he was thinking about it, he supposed they were sort of a similar type. "Tell you what, DaVinci... you bring her here somehow, and I'll find her a way in. I don't care what her stupid blood is. You tell her I'd finish teaching her how to read and everything." He smirked... it was all too funny, somehow.

[/html]
DaVinci shook his head sadly at the idea. He worried about just who or what had made an attempt on his mothers life but the scent of the wolf that had lingered had been one that would cause more pain in his life than relief. His stormy orbs turned towards Jefferson as he spoke softly. "She won't thank us for it.." He knew his mother, she would rather keep her privacy and her strange secrets than let them make certain their world was more secure. He didn't want to even think what would happen if she found out they knew, or even suspected. Shaking his head once more he just sighed and rubbed his hand across his temple, hoping that this conversation never left the span between the two males.

His hand drifted to Zana's ears again as he noticed that the small girl had finally drifted off to sleep. Smiling slightly at the sight he tried to assure Jefferson that his argument was a little more than lopsided. "Don't knock love before you've tried it Jeffers.." He knew he probably shouldn't even attempt to use the nickname that his mother had bestowed upon the burly male but he did anyways. He turned and stared at the male a moment, knowing that he wasn't going to get far now with Zana asleep and waking her was only going to create more trouble he figured that he was stuck listening to Jefferson taunt him about his love life.

He was silent a moment but that didn't last long as Jefferson started to laugh after questioning the name of the woman he loved. DaVinci couldn't help but bristle at the fact that Jefferson seemed to think it was funny.. and yet before he was given an attempt to swing at his friend for the insult an explaination was granted. DaVinci grunted at the words that his companion offered as he shook his head. "I know.." he said in response to what Ryan was like but a soft sigh still escaped his lips. "She loves Inferni though.. I couldn't make her give up her happiness.. just for me." He knew it all sounded pathedic but the woman who'd captured his heart had a hold in a clan that he couldn't understand and yet she loved. Perhaps she hadn't seen the damages that Inferni could reap on the world but he knew in time it would happen again.. history did have a way of repeating itself.

Suddenly it hit him as he turned towards Jefferson and abruptly asked. "How do you know Ryan?" His eyes narrowed as he waited for an answer, he doubted that there was anything funny or suspecious involved but it really was a small world after all if they all knew one another and yet none of them had realized this thus far.
[html]
--

DaVinci had been right about him; Jefferson couldn't speak for love, he'd never experienced it. The gimp was still slowly adjusting himself to friendship, to the concept of relying on others--a task truly difficult for a creature self-raised in independence, a creature who had come to believe that violence could, though unnecessarily, solve any problem. Peacefully talking things through never worked, he'd once believed. Having since seen such acts before his eyes--peace talks, negotiations, alliances--he'd learned otherwise, but love? He'd never seen love, let alone feel it. He'd seen Iskata miserable about her lost mate, about her children, about her own life and loneliness. He'd seen Lucifer and Deuce running off into the sunset, but the cyclops had a feeling what went on behind closed doors, and there was nothing sexual about it. He'd seen DaVinci lovestruck (of all the things he'd ever expected DaVinci to behave, this wasn't one of them), but he'd never seen the other half of love. Jefferson wasn't lonely. He was just alone.

He'd developed that fondness for Zana and DaVinci had already recognized it. Judging by the whimsicality he spoke with, by the hopefulness and grace in the back of his voice, the silver-furred creature was thinking too much into it, had too much faith in the gimp. Jefferson wasn't capable of that. "Hell," he grunted, scratching lazily at his side, "you can have your kids and your love life. Everyone can just leave me alone to live mine." And he meant it. He didn't want to bother with the world, and the world didn't want to bother with him. The world didn't need to know about the fondness, the soft side, the vulnerability that was somewhere within.

He straightened his back a little, shaking his head. All humor had been lost from his voice. "I can't give you advice on your love life, DaVinci. You're the one who said I was an ugly brute." He shrugged, sarcastic, but yet truthful. "I ran into her a few months back at a graveyard out somewhere. We broke in and I tried to teach her how to read the gravestones or something. I didn't mind her. I wouldn't mind her here, if you wanted her that badly. But, ah, whatever." Don't get him wrong, after all. Jefferson wasn't a good guy or anything.

[/html]
DaVinci was quiet a moment while the two of them seemed lost in their own thoughts with the tiny snores of Zana between them. Maybe there was really nothing in the relationship with Ryan , neither of them wanted to budge from their current homes and yet they wanted the love between them to last forever and a day. These secret meetings and days so far between theren't enough for the silvery hybrid. He didn't know which way it would have to turn to get the woman in his arms for the rest of their lives but he knew that's where he wanted her. He began to pick at the peices of hay that had picked up in Zana's fur as she sleep while Jefferson finally broke the wave of nothing between them.

He flicked his eyes to gaze at Jefferson as he smirked, "You don't mean that so I'll just pretend you never said it.." he suggested as he combed back the puppy's fluffy bangs from her face. He was use to Jefferson's grumblings by now and he doubted that Jefferson really wanted the whole world to leave him alone, he just hadn't found the one he wanted to bother him. DaVinci grinned at the male as he knew that Jefferson really didn't care much for gossip and he really didn't want to know the whole of everyone's life, but now he knew the little secret that DaVinci had been harboring for so long and he was doomed to be stuck with it.

The silver blue male turned his face away as Jefferson commented on his own words. DaVinci knew that Jefferson wasn't really the right one to talk to about love and his own strange starcrossed love. He knew it was almost a hopeless pairing but he didn't want to believe just that. He was quiet as Jefferson spoke of how he knew Ryan and a ghost of a smile seemed to find itself back to his lips once more, "Alright.." he said softly. If Jefferson had no problem with Ryan being there and if his own mother could stand having a de le Poer as his mate then there was little really standing in his way of trying to bring her to his world. He knew it was probably going to be a long bumpy road and a lost cause but that wasn't saying he wasn't going to try til hell froze over.
[html]
--

He had been mystified about love and its inner mechanics for quite some time, but Jeffersonn didn't have the experience or the true curiosity to look any further into it. He knew that shit made babies and a whole lot of other unnecessary complications, and so he didn't quite understand the... value of it all. Just judging from DaVinci's situation, things like this could potentially tear apart a pack, a family... Why bother? Why go that far? Why not just stay the ugly bastard bachelor like Jefferson and spare yourself the pain and misery?

"What do you see in her?" He found himself saying anyway, whether or not he intended to. His eye glanced at the silver-furred comrade just briefly, then redirected itself in a silent shame.

[/html]
DaVinci had been surprised when the question had come from Jefferson, he hadn't expected such words from the male who seemed to think such notions weren't worth the time or effort that one had to put into them. Turing to glance at the higher ranked male he realized that Jefferson had already turned away from him. DaVinci smirked slightly as he sighed and just stared off into the musty mote filled barn as he was quiet a moment.

Finally when he spoke it was soft and wistful. "She's the only one who's been able to move me.." he said. Ryan had been the only one willing to try and open his eyes, the only one who was willing to give him the shove that he needed to get up and face the world and yet still dance to his own tune. He wasn't for certain if he could even make Jefferson understand. He just shook his head and smiled, "I don't think I could even begin to describe it, besides.. would you really want to listen to all this sappy stuff?" He said with a raised brow as he looked towards Jefferson.
[html]
Maybe last post is yours? This seems about done...

No, he wasn't really interested, or so he thought. He didn't want to know about DaVinci's love life... if he did, chances were that he'd end up mentoring another one of the silver-furred idiot's pups or something, and Jefferson had had enough of that for a lifetime. At least he liked Tyrone, anyway. He did like Ryan, though, though the two had not interacted for long. She had a slight, girlish charm to her that normally he would not have cared for, but she was genuine. A good kid. He wasn't sure DaVinci and his nonsense was well-suited for her, but hell. What did Jefferson know about love, anyway?

"Spare me," he responded, rolling his eyes. "I've got better things to do than listen to you blab on about your girlfriend. She must be going crazy to fall for an ass like you, anyway." He began to chuckle. He was fond of DaVinci. The two were rivals, somehow, but comrades. Somehow, the silver-furred rascal had made his way onto the creature's good side, anyway. "Don't forget about Zana, you idiot," Jefferson smirked as he started away.

[/html]
DaVinci just grinned at the other male and shook his head. "Gee, then you shouldn't have asked.." He really was beginning to wonder what went on in Jefferson's head sometimes but he had deserved it, he had asked. His stormy eyes seemed to have little lightning bolts sparking in them as he watched his leader getting up and getting on his way. He just chuckled and waved his hand in a dramatic manner as the male started on his way. "And one day you shall find someone just as demended and we shall compare notes.." Well, he hoped oneday JEfferson would find someone, the brute needed some excitement in his life.

Grinning to himself as he leaned back in the hay and sighed, pulling the sleeping form of Zana up onto his chest he stared at the puppy for a moment before just closing his eyes and yawning. He wouldn't forget Zana, he never could forget the girl, she wouldn't let him.. much like a few other ones he could think of but chose not to.