Like a piece of the puzzle that falls into place
[html]Empusa watched the house from her hiding spot in the bushes, frowning. She'd seen some of the clan members go in here before, but was just anyone allowed? She had been in the clan for two months now, but didn't know all of the rules here yet. Faolin hadn't said a lot about this house, but then, Empusa hadn't asked her either. There was something weird about it, a strange energy that made her feel like she didn't belong in there. How strange.

Since her trip to Jaded Shadows she'd been trying to stay away from wolves as much as she could; she knew from her meeting with the puppy Merit that wolves were indeed bad news. It was strange, though, because she was learning to identify wolves' scents...and a few places here smelled just like a wolf. Had wolves lived here in the past? She really needed a historian to tell her, so that she could get a better grasp of the clan's history. A lot of the coyotes here were related to her, but Monet hadn't told her how exactly they were related.

The young coyote continued to watch the house boredly, wondering what it looked like inside but not daring to go any closer to it.[/html]
[html]

-Babbled a lot.- D:

IC/OOC text separator

As a social introvert, it was difficult to say exactly how Matrix would react to any given situation. She certainly was not shy, and she had no qualms talking to strangers or a random passer-by on the street. It was generally easy for her tell if somebody was upset, angry, or content. In the case of the Syemv house, though, she felt no inclination whatsoever to enter. She was working on her own project, anyway--which was coming along nicely enough. Armed with nothing more than an axe, a hammer, and a bucket of old galvanised nails, she had already built her wood-shed extension to the greenhouse. It was ready for the furnace, which she had the dolly to transport. She just needed someone to help her lift the furnace onto the dolly.
Her whole project had already been going on over a month, and she was reasonably excited. It was too bad that she was missing the most critical part. Once the furnace was installed, she could fix the broken panes of glass in the greenhouse and sow the seeds she was growing tired of looking at. Leafy, flowery plants would be so much better. Then she could tell Gabriel about her accomplishment, too. If there were any healers in Inferni, they could use part of the greenhouse for whatever it was they grew, too. Who knew? Maybe she could even spruce it up into some sort of zen-like garden.
As it was, she was currently looking for neat decorations for her greenhouse base that was located somewhere barely beyond Inferni's borders. The search brought her within Inferni territory, which she decidedly wasn't spending enough time in. After she had been accepted by Gabriel and met Lith, she hadn't really seen anybody else from her clan. The ends would justify the means, but perhaps it was best not to be a total recluse. And so, she found herself drawn in the general direction of the house, which she assumed was a commonhouse of sorts. Much like the young Lykoi, she felt no justification in entering, although she was as much a part of the clan as anybody else (maybe).
Since she knew she wouldn't be working, she was in her halfling form--a rare sight to behold (typically, hands and thumbs were mandatory, as well as arms that could lift or use human tools). Walking along slowly, the hybrid took a seat somewhere near the outside of the house. Somebody's scent was strong here, but she couldn't distinguish it from any of the other generally strong scents in the area--this was a popular joint, huh? She certainly did not notice the child hiding in the bushes. Her doggish tail curled over her back, and she tilted her head slightly as she peered intently at the large structure. There didn't seem to be a lot of movement inside. Dancing around on her front paws for a few moments, she offered a quick, questioning bark. Anybody home?
[/html]
[html]Someone came into view, a clan member that she'd never seen before. Her first instinct was to turn away and find something else to do, but she didn't. She really wanted to know more about the house, to explore the inside. Maybe this one would let her in. Empusa hadn't learned how to shift, so she couldn't get the door open all by herself. She frowned, then slowly began coming out of the brush.

It was about that time that the coyote in front of her barked, and Empusa let out a little squeak, jumping in surprise. It wasn't often that people got her to jump, that she scared. Today was an odd day indeed.

The seven month old approached slowly from the side. Only here on her homelands was she not the top dog...this adult had rank over her. "Hello there--I'm sorry, but are you looking at ze house as vell?"[/html]
[html]

--

IC/OOC text separator

A slight rustling had sounded somewhere nearby, but Matrix had assumed it to be a squirrel or some other rodent. It wasn't until the squeak that she realised her error, and she calmly turned her head to look upon the younger girl. She offered an apologetic grimace for startling the other, then dipped her head in greeting. Once the coyote was close enough, she asked her about the house. She had a strange accent, but the hybrid could understand her well enough. It didn't seem like a childish accent, either--it sounded foreign. This intrigued her slightly, and she studied the other a little more closely.
"Yeah, I guess so. This is a common house of sorts?" She flicked an ear uselessly, then stretched a little before rising to all fours and sniffing around on the earthen path leading up to the main doorway. "I haven't really seen anybody in it, though," she said, with a slight frown. "It certainly seems a little different than the man-made houses everywhere else." That was one thing she noticed--this structure seemed newer, and possessed the clumsy charm of a building crafted without (m)any fancy tools or machines--much like her own shed.
[/html]
[html]Empusa hadn't met anyone new in quite a while--at least, not any new adults. She had met a few pups from other packs, and a couple of the other Lykoi children from this clan. They were interesting to her, the other Lykois...she wondered if they thought that she was interesting. For the most part she was ignored by the other coyotes, except for Faolin. Faolin was a mother-type figure for her, as close to a real mother as Empusa would get. Her true mother had dissapeared the same day that she had been denied entrance to Inferni.

"Yes, zat is vhat I am thinking as well. I have seen others go inside...but I do not know if I am allowed. Have you been inside?" She was curious. What was it like in there? It'd be so cool to get inside...but she couldn't shift to open the door. Defeat.

"I agree--It has been here for as long as I have been...I remember it. But I wonder who originally made it? Maybe ze wolves...zis territory smells of them"

She realized that she hadn't told the older coyote her name, and she quickly introduced herself. "I am Empusa Lykoi--grand-daughter to Kaena Lykoi, ze previous leader. Though I do not know why that makes any difference. Are you another relative of mine zat I did not know about?" There had been plenty of those so far.[/html]
[html]

--

IC/OOC text separator

It was a damned shame that Empusa was looking for answers about anything pertinent to 'Souls history--all that they needed was for Matrix to sprout twigs and leafy foliage, and then the younger coyote would literally be barking up the wrong tree. Matrix frowned slightly as the other spewed off a flurry of information that she was very clueless about. Wolves? Why would the wolves build themselves a fancy little resort only to abandon it? Kaena? Relative? Somewhat mournfully she offered an apologetic shake of her head, and a useless little shrug. Normally, it didn't occur to her that random strangers might be blood relatives of hers. For Empusa to assume these things, there must have been good reason. Poor Matrix--she was so out of the loop that she didn't realise that at least 70% of Inferni was related by blood or marriage.
"I don't think so," she offered cautiously, all the while hating the fact she was so unsure of herself. Situations like these were somewhat unsettling for the typically confident, well-informed girl. Blast it all--maybe there was a need to study up on current events after all, although she really would have liked to not be bothered. "I'm Matrix Thirteen. I'm pretty sure both of my parents grew up far from this area." The more that she thought about it, the more comfortable she became. It wasn't as though she expressed any of this on the outside, though--it would probably only make things more confusing or weird.
"Anyway," she continued, "you seem to know more about it than me already. I haven't been inside... maybe a closer look?" she asked, head inclining slightly to the left. So far, Empusa seemed alright in her book--she really had no idea how magnificent it was to be descended from Kaena Lykoi, but either way the younger 'yote didn't seem cocky about it at all. "Hm," she mumbled as she tiptoed closer to the elusive structure. Maybe if they both went together, it would be "more alright" for them to be there. Her nails clicked across the porch as she reared up on her hind legs to look inside a ground-level window, and she squinted into the building's bowels.
[/html]
[html]Empusa had been born away from Inferni, where the rest of her family lived...she had been born in the subway in the human city. Sometimes she thought that Inferni was a strange place to live, so un-humanized, but then again, they did have this house. It reminded her of her old life, in the human city. When it had just been her and mother. Those had been the days.

She thought about what Matrix was saying. Too bad that they weren't related; a lot of Empusa's real relatives didn't seem to care much for her, it'd be nice to meet a somewhat-good-tempered relative that might listen to her once in a while. Empusa nodded in agreement, that they should go check out the building, and followed the older female to the front. The steps creaked beneath her feet and she jumped a little. It'd been a while since she'd been around a house...she'd forgotten about the creaks.

The youngster stood up on her tip-toes, but still couldn't see through the window. "Ve can go inside together, and if the house is owned by someone in particular and zey want us out, we can leave and find something better to do"[/html]
[html]

Haha, do you know OOCly what is actually in the house? >>; If you do, might be a better idea for Empusa to sort of lead around and discover things. xD; Matrix will follow, but I don't even know what's supposed to be in here except for Foal and Gabe's room? I think.

IC/OOC text separator

The hybrid's life had been fairly bumpy, and even now she wasn't sure that Inferni was anything more than a smooth spot in the road. Things here were so peaceful to her in the sense that nothing was horribly chaotic. In her youth she watched countless wolves, coyotes, and hybrids get slaughtered. She had been trained to take care of herself by her parents, both in combat and self-sufficiency. She had later fought to defend her brother's life--and murder was not the only of her sins. It was hard to find strong roots in anything when your world was constantly being turned upside down. Here in Bleeding Souls, boundaries weren't constantly changing. Quiet streets at night weren't teeming with cut-throats and traitors. Regardless, she was always somewhat grateful when things failed to remind her of her old life. Human cities as extensive as this one were rare, and for the structures to be in such good condition was almost unthinkable. She had passed through some very run-down places further away, and few that were significantly better.
The old Syemv house was sturdy and youthful, although not necessarily modern. Instead, it was rather quaint. Matrix nodded at Empusa's suggestion, as it was highly logical and it certainly gave them something to do. "Yeah, that sounds fine to me," she said. Well, this sort of dwelling was certainly designed for two legs, and not four. Glancing about quickly, she began the process of shifting, which she never found horribly pleasant. It wasn't as though it physically hurt, it simply mentally perturbed her. Glancing around, she waited to see if Empusa was going to shift or not (she didn't realise the younger coyote hadn't quite gotten that far yet). Placing a hand on the door handle, she pushed open the door and peered inside. Her eyes took several moments to adjust to the dimmer conditions within.
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Actually, I don't! I used to, I think...but I don't remember D: I put up an ad for someone to meet us here, a coyote to show them inside the house, but I don't think anyone answered yet.

secretly falling apart

Empusa followed the older hybrid's example, looking inside the dim house as well. She sniffed a little, trying to see if any of the scents were recent...but her nose wasn't good enough to distinguish scents that well yet. The little girl nudged the door a little more open, stepping inside first. She wouldn't be hurt because she went in here, she hoped, because she knew Faolin and Gabriel pretty well. They wouldn't mind.

She looked around a little--it was hard to see because of the dim light--and observed. The house had been pretty nicely fixed up inside, with couches and such, and she investigated these first. How strange--she jumped up onto the couch, bouncing up and down on it.

[/html]
[html]

--

IC/OOC text separator

Ah; human furniture. Matrix couldn't help but giggle a bit as Empusa playfully investigated a couch, and her tail wagged lightly as she came over. She ran her hand over the fabric and took note of a blanket folded neatly over the couch's back. It was impossible to argue that bare rocks and dirt were more comfortable--at least physically, for she knew that human things still mentally perturbed some, especially from the older generations. Her ears continued to twitch gently as she listened for sounds of movement (especially from upstairs), and she wondered if they ought to stay in this room until they were found. It seemed like the polite thing to do, but it certainly did not satiate any curiosity about what remained behind closed doors--and so far, it didn't seem like anybody was home.
After testing one of the couches and confirming its comfortability, she peered into the other rooms on the ground floor quickly and made her way to the staircase. If anybody was here and hadn't noticed them yet, she didn't want to surprise them or give the impression that they were sneaking around. Again she offered an inquisitive bark--it echoed strangely up the stairs, and then she was met once more with silence. She held her breath for a moment, and listened harder. Finally, with a resigned shrug, she looked around for Empusa.
"I'm going to check out the kitchen," she told her. Matrix had noticed it in her quick survey before, and she wanted to see what sorts of things were there. Various objects were littered across the counter tops, many of which seemed irrelevant to the preparation of food. Inside of some cabinets she found several pots and pans, and she tapped on one absently. The metallic ring was dull and faded quickly, although it sent her mind off on a series of tangents. She had eaten cooked meat before, but she couldn't really form an opinion on it. Fresh, warm kills would always be best. To some extent, cooking old food replicated the effect--at least the warmth. It was much drier, though, and less bloody... and that she didn't like. Of course, there was always the "seasoning" that she could add--eating marijuana produced a markedly different high than smoking it, and it had to be heated for the actual drug to be released. Eating it plain, fresh off of the plant wasn't enough, and she knew it. Lost in her thoughts, she continued to stare almost wistfully at the pots and pans.
[/html]
[html]

secretly falling apart

"Okay" She replied. She was having a good time bouncing on the couch; billows of dust came up each time she came back down, and she sneezed a couple of times. This was way more fun now that she had Matrix with her to explore, too; the older coyote seemed to want to know the place just as much as Empusa did. "Zis is sooo much fun!" The youngster shouted. She jumped a little higher, a little higher....

Crash! She landed on the floor, her paw twisting awkardly beneath her. She yelped as her weight came down on top of it, scrambling back up as fast as she could. It hurt! She hadn't known that bouncing on the couch could do that to her! She sniffed at her foot, trying to figure out what was wrong with it; it ached dully, like a headache now.

[/html]
[html]

--

IC/OOC text separator

The sharp yelp of pain was more than enough to trigger a reflex reaction in Matrix. Immediately and almost mechanically, she forgot what she was doing and made her way back to the living room. Once she got there, it was easy enough to infer what happened--Empusa was looking at her foot, and she was no longer on the couch. Bending down to a squat, she tried to inspect it for damage. Unfortunately, Matrix was no medic, and she hardly knew what to look for. It wasn't bent at a funny angle and no bones were protruding from the joints, so that was a good sign.
"Ack, you alright?" she asked, somewhat concerned, although mostly sure that everything was okay. There was no "you shouldn't do that" or "be careful;" Empusa really wasn't that much younger than her, and could figure it out for herself. Pain was one of those things you learned from very quickly. "It doesn't look broken or anything. Is it sprained?" Straightening, the older girl glanced toward the door--she almost wished that somebody who knew about injuries would waltz through right then, but alas... the house was mostly silent.
[/html]
[html]

secretly falling apart

"I do not know...it hurts a lot. Vot is a sprain?" She asked. She'd never heard of such things before, sprains or breaks. She'd been raised in the human city, with only her mother there to teach her. And Monet hadn't been a medic, either. She looked doubtfully at her foot, which was now beginning to swell a little. "Maybe we should go. To the sea, perhaps? I could put my feet in the water."

Empusa thought about this. "Unless they have a sink here? A place to wash?"

[/html]
[html]

--

IC/OOC text separator

It seemed like ages since Twilight had tried to teach her daughter basic care for injuries and whatnot. Matrix knew how to construct a splint and (in theory) how to set broken bones, but she claimed no knowledge of herbal medicine and no level of high understanding. Applying pressure to stop bleeding was one thing, knowing the intricate details of internal wounds was another. "I think it's when you hurt your ligaments, as opposed to bone--a break--or muscle--a strain." The only reason she knew about these parts was from tearing them off of fallen prey.
"There's no real open wound, so I don't think you'd have to worry about infection," she said. "Although it would be good to cool it for help with the swelling, you're right." As for the house? She sort of doubted they had running water in here. There was no real source for it, except for the sea--and she didn't think they had the technology or means to transport it. The first human water systems were based off of gravity, so they'd need to get a river that was headed toward the sea and use that. "I guess the sea-water would be more than cold enough. Will you be alright to walk?" It wasn't like she had any sort of amazing back-up plan, but if necessary, she would develop some sort of idea. Most of their kind could handle walking on three legs, anyway, things were just slower.
[/html]
[html]
:3 Want to end this one?

It was nice to have someone around to help her a bit--she wasn't used to that. She could see that Matrix would become a good friend to her, maybe even moreso when she got a bit older. Adults tended to think less of her because of her age...but so far Matrix had been very kind. She nodded and smiled, standing up more solidly on three legs. "Yes. And thank you. After that I should find Faolin--and see what else can be done"

[/html]