I am green today
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Ember was feeling better than she had in a while--she was being more social, meeting her fellow packmembers, and she was becoming more involved with the pack. Her past leader, Tayui, had become one of her closest friends and not a day went by without her seeing either one of her pups or the white lady herself. It was a change that sthe felt at peace with. After the wild days of her youth the female was beginning to slow things down and settle into a sort of routine.

Spring had taken a hold on the lands before her. Crimson dreams was a myriad of colors, trees tall and green and flowers in full bloom all around. This territory had many things in common with her own Aniwaya, but at the same time she could see the things that made it unique and special. She walked through the woods at a slowr pace, working her way toward the mansion. Her brown-black hair was kept tied back in a ponytail, reaching halfway down her cloaked back. Ember had been thinking about coming to see Savina and her neices and nephew to see how they were doing. Kansas too, if he was around.

She came up the steps of the mansion carefully (they were still slick from the rain that the lands had gotten the night before) and up onto the porch. It was early morning, so she wasn't sure if anyone would be up and around.

[/html]
[html]
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5497 ... uckies.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Happy table! Big Grin

It had been just over a week since the pups had been born. Savina still couldn't believe it. That she had been so blessed. All of them had survived and were healthy. It was everything she had ever wished for. They had yet to open their eyes and were still deaf, but she couldn't wait until that happened. She couldn't wait until they started waddling around and showing their different personalities. Lovingly she licked their small bodies. They were all curled up against her belly and she had her legs and tail wrapped protectively around them. Kansas was out for the moment. Probably hunting or getting some fresh air. Savina had barely left the room since their birth. She didn't want to miss a single moment. Also, they were always hungry.

The mother laid her head down next to her children, breathing in their scents and smiling. Her emerald eyes closed. She wasn't really tired, just completely content. But soon she heard someone enter the front door of the mansion. Her sleek, dark head lifted and nose twitched as it sniffed the air. It wasn't one of her packmates, but apparently her sister-in-law had stopped by for a visit. "I'm in here Ember," she called softly. The Lt. General had been surprised to see the younger girl there for the birth, but it had been a pleasant surprise. She wanted Ember to have a part in their lives.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The sense of smell that the wolves had was amazing. Ember relied on her nose for a lot of things. She used it to find prey, find her packmembers, locate water or other geographical things. So she wasn't surprised that Savina had been able to recognize her smell against all of the familiar scents of Crimson Dreams. Normally when there was someone from another pack inside Aniwaya, she could smell it against everything else.

She came a little farther into the mansion, trying to pinpoint which room the other black wolf was in. When she did come to it she stood in the doorway, her tail waving slowly back and forth. "Hey, Savina. How ya been? How're the little 'uns?"
[/html]
[html]
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5497 ... uckies.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Savina was thankful that the mansion laid so far into the heart of the territory. Any mother knew that a den near the borders was dangerous. While she doubted that any of the wolves around here would do anything to her little ones, she couldn't be sure. After all, Dahlia's puppies had gone missing. But she trusted that any such intruder would be detected before they could reach the mansion. Even if, gods forbid, they happened to manage that she would defend her children with her life. No one would take them from her while she breathed.

She smiled broadly when Ember found the room and stood in the doorway. "Please, come in." Amata could sense a new presence in the room and issued a squeak. The mother licked her light daughter's head gently. "I'm doing very well, thank you! And so are the pups. Either eating or sleeping is their current routine," she said with a soft chuckle. "How are you?"

[/html]
[html]

Even as some family members passed away, like Iskata, new ones were arriving. It would be a never ending cycle, unless all of the Sadira suddenly stopped reproducing altogether, which wasn't likely to happen. She leaned against the door frame, smiling at her sister-in-law. At first she hadn't really cared to be around pups, but now Ember was beginning to warm up to them. She'd had a bit of practice taking care of Tayui's, and now that she knew what she was doing a little more she wasn't as nervous around them.

It was good to hear that the little ones and their mother were doing well, and she came to stand closer to all of them. Kansas wasn't around today, it seemed, probably out hunting something for his new family members. "That's great! I don't know too much about pups myself, about what they do when they're real little like that. I guess they can't move around much, 'cause their legs wouldn't be very strong" They were pretty defenseless, really. All they could do was squeak and hope that their mother would be nearby if trouble came.

"I've been doin' alright. Been reading a lot and hanging out with Dawali and Tayui sometimes. I'm reading a book about a female knight who finds a sword and goes on adventures. I really like the series. Do you read, ever?" Maybe she could lend Savina her books when she was done reading them--it had to be boring sometimes, staying inside with the puppies all day.
[/html]
[html]
300+

Savina nodded her head. Learning about pups in their first weeks of life wasn't something you could learn anyway but firsthand. Mothers wanted their privacy and bonding time with the newborns and most understood that. That wasn't to say that she didn't mind the company, quite the opposite. But at the same time she wouldn't have been happy to have someone with her all the time. These first weeks with her babies were precious and she wanted to savor them. "I didn't either before now, not really. It'll still be about a week before they open their eyes and can hear though. They're completely dependent on me right now so I only leave when I absolutely have to. Thanks to the pack that isn't very much though." The Lt. General was so thankful for all her packmates' picking up the slack of her maternity. It gave her the time that she needed.

The name Tayui she had heard before, but not Dawali. Surely they were members of Ember's tribe to the west of Crimson Dreams. It was good that the Phoenix girl had found a place where she finally fit in. Savina knew that had been a bit of a struggle for her. "That sounds very interesting! You should share that with your niece Brooklyn and nephew Haven. They're both very keen on the whole knighthood thing. So did you find a weapon? Did you go to the castle?" She had mentioned the large stone structure to Ember the last time they had seen each other before the birth.

"Kansas has been teaching me to read, so I'm still learning. He says I'm doing very well though." She didn't know if she would have the skills to make it through a whole book on her own yet. There were still many words that she didn't recognize on paper and she'd probably miss huge chunks of the story.

[/html]
[html]

The information about the pups was relatively new to the girl, and she listened with an avid ear. She had seen Tayui's pups, yes, but hadn't asked many questions about them. Back then, she hadn't even been sure that she wanted to be around them at all; there had been a time when pups had made her very nervous. Maybe it was a fear of the unknown. "I get it. Then how much longer 'till they can run around?" She asked.

She sat down on the floor Indian-style next to Savina and the pup, careful to give them enough room. "Yeah! That's where I found my sword. Not the first time I went, but after a bit of lookin' the next time I did find it. I've only seen Brooklyn and Haven a couple of times, maybe not even that many. I dunno if they would know me or want to see me. Do you think they would?" She hadn't been absent from their lives, not exactly. She had always watched Crimson Dreams' borders for Naniko during the time that she had to be with the pups a lot, and she'd come into the house to visit when they had been very young. They just hadn't known. "Ah, I see. It was hard at first for me, too, but once ya get it ya never forget how to do it."

She looked down at the pups, watching what they were doing. "D'you think I could hold one of them?"
[/html]
[html]
300+

It was a learning process, for sure. You could only learn so much by observing someone else raise pups. She supposed that's why wolves were born with such strong instincts. Like she had known to clean her children after they had been born and set them next to her belly so they could drink her milk. "Well, I'd say they'll probably start trying as soon as they're able to see. If they'll be able to is another question. I would think it wouldn't be too long afterwords though." While at one point she might have balked at denning inside the house, she was glad she had decided to now. They would be safer and more well protected in here.

Savina was glad that she had been able to point the younger girl in the direction of her weapon. She was really taking to her role in Aniwaya. It was good. "Great! I'm glad you found what you were looking for. You'll have to show me your skills sometime." It was never something she would pursue, but that didn't mean she couldn't appreciate it in someone else. "Oh, I'm sure they'd want to see you. They're both incredibly sociable. Very bright kids. I don't think they've ever met a person they haven't taken a quick liking to. Plus I'm sure Haven especially would love to see your skills with the sword." The orange boy had styled himself a knight ever since he could walk.

Bushy dark tail padded lightly against the floor. "Yes, I'm excited to become proficient at it. I want to be able to read to them, just as Kansas does. His love of books is contagious," she said with a happy laugh. It had been the way they had first met, after all. Savina's smile widened. "Of course." Gingerly she picked up Gotham by the scruff of his neck and extended him towards his aunt. The little boy squeaked, wondering what was going on.

[/html]
[html]
I know this is getting outdated, but can they still talk for a little while?

It was probably a good idea that Savina had given birth inside of the mansion. From what Ember had seen the mansion was a rather busy place, yes, but there was also quite a bit of privacy if someone really wanted to be alone. It was good that it was busy, to expose the pups to new sounds and other wolves, and it was also good because that meant if any intruder ever got as far as the mansion there would most likely be a packmember inside to help defend the puppies.

"Oh yeah? I'd like that, to show 'em. If they want to learn. I haven't spent a whole lotta with my nieces and nephews that are grown up now but I can make up that time. I was busy settlin' my own life. And I definitely want to start on the right track with these pups and be involved with 'em, you know? If it's alright with you." She scooted so that she was a little closer to Savina and the little ones, leaning over to carefully take hold of Gotham. As soon as she had him she held him close to her chest as he wiggled around, his squeaking quieting after a few moments. She used a few fingers to pet him carefully, watching his reactions. "It's something I want someday for myself. Maybe one or two. But I guess ya don't really choose how many ya have..."

[/html]
[html]
Sure! ^^ 300+

Ember seemed much better, more content with herself and her life. While she had never really seen the girl at her lowest points, she had sensed a kind of sadness inside of her. Now that seemed to be more or less absent. It made the mother feel good to know that her sister-in-law had a pack that she felt at home in and like she was a contributing member. That she was happy with her life. Savina hated to see anyone unhappy, especially her family and friends. "I'm sure Haven would be ecstatic at the prospect," she said grinning. "It's important to have your life sorted and to be happy with where you are. I'm sure they'll understand, and there's always time to catch up." Just because their aunt hadn't been around much yet certainly didn't mean they wouldn't want her in their life. You could never have enough family.

"Of course it's alright Ember. I want you to be a part of their lives, and I know Kansas feels the same way. We love you and I know they will too." She wanted nothing more than her pups to be loved and be surrounded by their family. That meant on both the Marino and Sadira sides. She was lucky that her brother and sister were a part of the pack, but she wanted to make sure that they made time for Ember and their other family that weren't inside Crimson Dreams. The dark mother beamed at the younger girl as she watched her son quiet in his aunt's arms. "You're a natural," she said warmly.

"Yes? They're wonderful. They change your life, but it's so fulfilling. So worth it. I already can't imagine living without them." Savina chuckled a little. "No, you don't really get to pick how many you have, but I know you'd be able to handle how ever many you were gifted with." Her smile took on a somewhat sly quality. "So...does that mean there's a special someone?" Wanting pups didn't necessarily mean she had a specific father in mind, but it did help sometimes.

[/html]
[html]

Some days it felt like she was around the family too much. Ember had enjoyed being around all of her family members when she'd been younger, but hadn't been able to escape them when she had grown. She'd wanted a life of her own, to live outside of any influence that the family might bring. She had wanted to be able to pick her own battles and fight whoever she wanted to fight without her family getting involved. That was one of the reasons she had stopped coming to Crimson Dreams to get her injuries looked at after a while. She couldn't let Naniko keep fixing her up time and time again. She had felt like she already owed the leader her life.

Savina's words of encouragement helped, and she continued to stroke fingers along the puppy's soft fur. It was hard to believe that she had ever been this small at all. "I only want one. Or maybe two...at the most. I don't think I could watch over more than that--Tayui's pups are all over the place in Aniwaya. I'd be worried, I think." But with a strong pack to watch over them...maybe it wouldn't be a bad thing to have more than one or two pups.

"Huh? A special...Oh. Oh! Well.." She stopped petting the now snoozing Gotham to look up at her sister-in-law. She could trust Savina with this kind of information; who would the leader tell even if Ember did tell her? "There's someone. But I don't know how to act around him. We're friends, but sometimes he'll smile a certain way or say somethin' that makes me wonder. But I haven't said anything to him--and I dunno. He just makes me feel different than normal. But I dunno if I make him feel any certain way, really. I'm not real girly...and I don't do the things lots of other girls do. I spend most of my time with the sword."

[/html]
[html]
300+

Savina had grown up with a very different family life than Ember and Kansas had. Their family was extensive. Uncles, aunts, and cousins scattered all over the lands of Nova Scotia. But Savina had only had her mother and two siblings. No aunts, no uncles, not even a true father. Sure, Serge had been ever present, but he had never associated with any of them. He had acted like the Marino family hadn't even existed. Until Amata had died and he had come to his estranged daughter. She still didn't understand why he had done that. All his life he had been happy to ignore her. Why had he felt the need to suddenly insert himself where he was not wanted?

The mother chuckled lightly. "It would be nice if we were given the choice of how many puppies we had, but unfortunately that is for the gods to decide, not us. But I'm sure they wouldn't give you more than you could handle." She thought that three was a good number. It struck her as funny that the litter she had been born into was the same number and ratio of boys to girls that the litter she had birthed was. Perhaps it was something in the Marino genes. "Yes, they do go all over the place, but that's why we live in packs, so there's more than just the parents watching over them. And worrying is just a natural part of parenthood I think. No matter how safe they are, we'll always be concerned about something or other." Savina had promised not to hover over her children, but she knew it would be a difficult task.

The Lt. General wasn't a gossiper. If she was told something she didn't go around spreading it to everyone she knew. This was simply a conversation between her and Ember and no word of it would necessarily go beyond the two of them. She knew how delicate a situation like that could be too, and wouldn't put the younger girl in any risk of hurt or embarrassment. She listened as Ember explained the situation. Unfortunately for the Phoenix girl, Savina wasn't very experienced in this area either. "Well, it sounds like you do have some feelings for him and that maybe he does for you too." She heaved a little sigh. "The only advice I can give you is just to take it slow and see what happens. Kansas is the only man I've ever been with and things just kind of fell into place for us. It wasn't always easy, we both had our skeletons in the closet, but we worked past those things and we're fine. I guess whatever will happen, will happen, though I hope things work out for you and him."

[/html]
[html]

She didn't mind if Savina didn't know much about it either--it was nice to just be able to tell someone else about him. Ember wouldn't give him a name, just calling him "him", but it was still a relief to say it out loud. Maybe she did like him. She had felt kind of like this before, with Khaden, but it had been very different at the same time. She had felt like she owed it to Khaden to be by his side as his mate because he had helped to save her when she had tried to commit suicide.

She lifted Gotham carefully up again, placing him back down by Savina. She would be back to see them more, and to give Savina updates on how things were going with "him". "Thanks. I think I just wanted someone to tell about it--I don't have too many friends over there besides him. I'll come back often to check up on you guys and tell you more. If anything happens." She didn't want to get too hopeful. "It's a part of it, I guess...not knowing what's going to happen. I wish I could see into the future."

[/html]
[html]

Savina understood how much talking about something could help, even if the person didn't have much advice to give you. Just voicing things out loud could help you work through your own thoughts and emotions. Especially in a case like this where the signals weren't necessarily clear. She was glad that Ember was comfortable enough with her to talk about such matters. She really liked the Phoenix girl, and trusted her. It was nice to know that that trust was reciprocal.

As Gotham was shifted and placed back by his mother he squeaked again, his little pudgy body squirming. Though as soon as he was set near Savina he crawled his way to shove his face into her matching pelt. "Of course, Ember. I'll always be here if you want to talk. About anything," she said smiling. "Good! I'd like that a lot." She knew what it was like to not want to get your hopes up in this type of situation. She had been the same way with Kansas. Having never been liked in that way by anyone else had made her question if it was real. "I'm sure it will all work out. Whatever happens." Though she did hope that something happened. Ember deserved it.

[/html]