light up the sky
[html]

we prey as wolves among the sheep
and slit the necks of soldiers while they sleep

It seemed like a long time since Apollo had laid eyes on the lands that constituted ‘Souls. Nova Scotia had long since been pushed to the back of his mind, while he and his father explored their roots in Maine. He had learned a lot about himself in the months of his absence. He had returned now, older and changed. He didn’t carry much with him, just a small pack on his back hidden beneath his cousin’s guitar, the ever present bandana around his forehead, and a new surname replacing the old.

He had traveled through the Trenches to Shiloh Hills. It was here that Crimson Dreams had been situated when Apollo left. Would it still be there now? Would those faces, the ones he knew he loved, still be there? How much would have changed? He stopped before he reached the borders of Crimson Dreams, settling onto a tree stump for a rest. He was ready to reunite himself with his past, but he needed a moment to acknowledge the reality now set in front of him.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... pupban.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The sky was full of cotton candy clouds as Savina raced through the territory of her home. While she was perfectly content to sit inside with her children, she wanted to get herself back in shape. It had been so long since she had been able to take a nice long run. Slender limbs flew over the lush spring grass and her tongue hung out of her mouth as her lips smiled. Her midnight coat shone brightly in the sunlight, at times showing the dark brown that was hidden there. The skin around her abdomen was still a little stretched, but once she was able to move like this more often it would tighten up to her normal shape.

The Lt. General's pace slowed as she came to the lake and her neck leaned down to lap at the cool water. A breeze ruffled her coat and with it came some unexpected news. Emerald orbs opened wide and her head shot up to the air. Apollo? There was no mistaking that scent. Her heart leaped in her chest and she let a happy howl rip from her throat. Quickly the femme took off in his direction, leaving the borders of Crimson Dreams behind her. As his white form came into sight she stopped and shifted into her two-legged form. Standing up she closed the distance between them and wrapped the younger boy into her arms in a tight hug. "Apollo! L'ho mancata così!"

[/html]
[html]

He slung the strap of the guitar over his head, gently setting the instrument down on the ground soggy with the morning dew. He easily shrugged off the pack and let it drop down as well. Apollo filled his lungs with a deep breath, rolling his shoulders now that the weight was gone. It wasn’t much, so he could easily carry it, but it had started to make his shoulders sore from weeks of travel. Four legs would have made the trek easier, faster. Apollo just couldn’t bear with leaving his possessions behind, though.

He raised his mismatched eyes as a breeze came. He caught her scent, that sweet perfume he missed so much, just before she came towards him. "Sguardo radiante come mai," he told her, wrapping his arms around her as well, openly welcoming this embrace. "Come sono le cose?" He asked, pulling back just slightly so that he could see those pretty emerald eyes.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... pupban.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

It relieved her so much that Apollo had returned. The last time she had seen him was when she had let slip about Hybrid had done to his father. He had left to find Pilot and then never returned. She cared deeply for the boy. He had been her first pupil and one of her first friend in these lands. She almost thought of him as a little brother. The woman knew that she couldn't control him and it hadn't been the first time he had disappeared for months, but knowing that he was once again back plastered a large smile on her maw.

"Perché la ringrazia, il mio piccolo ammaliatore." There was a bit of laughter in her voice. "Non nonostante suppongo dovrei fermare la chiamata lei piccolo, dovrebbe io?" How old must he be now? It had just almost been a year since she had come to live here and he had been a few months old at that point. He probably had celebrated his first birthday. How strange that seemed. So much had happened in a year. "Le cose sono molto buone! Apollo," she couldn't wait to tell him her news. "Sono madre."

[/html]
[html]

He grinned when Savina realized he wasn’t so little anymore. It was true – Apollo had celebrated his first birthday just a month ago. As it was, he had been traveling. The actual day itself was no different than any other. He didn’t mind though. The only thing that really mattered was that he was old enough to be considered an adult now. "No, I guess not," he replied with a chuckle, forgetting the Italian for a moment. It had been a while since he had had a good conversation with someone. It was nice to have some interaction again.

He listened to her assessment of the time passed, mismatched eyes twinkling. All was good here, that was great news! And then his jaw dropped open at Savina’s next words. "Una madre?" He muttered, grin widening along his muzzle. "Distorsione di velocità, congratulazioni Savina!" He knew she would be the most tender-hearted mother in all of Nova Scotia.

[/html]
[html]

She would try her best not to call him little anymore, but she couldn't make any promises. It was just a term of endearment for her and Apollo was very dear to her. "Farò mio meglio ricordare ciò ora, ma lei dovrà perdonare se non ricordo sempre," she said ruffling his hair. There would always be that small part in her mind where he was still the quiet pup that she had met on her arrival in Twilight Vale. She remembered playing hide-n-seek with him and Sirius and then their Italian lessons together. It made her feel accomplished to have passed that skill onto him. It might not have been the most useful skill, but it was something that she cared about and since he had kept up with it apparently he did as well.

Savina had expected no other reaction. After all, she hadn't even been pregnant when he had left, Kansas' and her mateship had still been fairly new. The woman beamed, unable to hide her pride. "Sì, la ringrazia. Stupisce alquanto." Thankfully he really hadn't missed much of this new chapter in her life. "È solo è riguardato un mese poiché erano nato. Lei deve promettere di venirli vede! Due ragazze ed il ragazzo, ama appena i rifiuti ero nato in." Perhaps it was in the Marino genes to bear pups in such numbers.

"Così dove lei è corso via a questo tempo, quest'hm?" Her fingers combed through his mane, working out the tangles.

[/html]
[html]

"Of course," he replied, smiling pulling up at one side so that it was crooked, while Savina ruffled his hair. This was something he had missed, he realized – an affectionate gesture that was common of the Italian woman. He didn’t mind so much. After all, his hair was already in a disheveled mess, falling over the royal blue bandana.

"Two girls and a boy, huh?" Woww, it all just seemed so unreal. Apollo beamed happily at Savina, glad to hear that things had gotten along well during his absence. "I’d love to come by and see them sometime," he told her, grinning when he thought of the mischievous things he could teach the boy.

"I went with dad," he revealed, subconsciously leaning his head into her hands as she ran her fingers through his hair. "After the fight," he went on to explain, pushing back the memories that came of Hybrid, "you know I went to check on Pilot. And well, he told me about his brother. He has a brother living right here, in some pack called…" he paused, trying to remember the foreign name. "AniWaya? Lannen. Lannen Haddix. And so I went with dad back to Maine, where the rest of his family still lives. Lannen and dad realized that dad had gone missing when he was just a pup, and everyone had thought he didn’t make it." He wasn’t sure if that explained things clearly or not, but oh well. He had plenty of time to share more details eventually. "Oh, and we realized that our last name is really Haddix. Dad's surrogate family - the squirrels - ironically their last name was only two letters off. But I'm going by Haddix now." He made this decision because of the fact that he had not been raised by Leah Haddon, and so, felt it right that he should carry on the true, wolf-blooded surname.

[/html]
[html]

As he said that he would love to come and see her children her smile broadened even more. She considered Apollo to be a part of her family and she wanted him to be involved in the lives of her pups. It would also give them someone to talk Italian to aside from their mother, father, aunt, and uncle. Someone a little closer to the age. Surely he would be able to show and teach them things that she would never have thought about. The mother wanted her brood to be well rounded and happy wolves. "Good. You know you're welcome anytime in Crimson Dreams." Even if he didn't want to join their ranks again, just his presence would be welcome. "You'll have to watch out for my one daughter Amata. I think she's going to be quite the little feist," she said with a bit of a laugh.

Savina hadn't been aware that Pilot had left the lands as well. She supposed it made sense. He had been through quite an ordeal, maybe he just needed to get away from it all. She grimaced for a moment at the mention of the fight. She had done her best to push it from the front of her mind, the scars that lingered right beneath her midnight fur was reminder enough for her. Thankfully it seemed Apollo wanted to avoid going to deep into that subject as well. His story was intriguing, that Pilot had stumbled upon a brother right here in Nova Scotia. "Wow really? So he had a whole family that neither of you knew about? I bet that was exciting. Did you have a good time?" Family was incredibly important to the femme, finding a bunch of relatives you didn't even know existed must have been quite a pleasant surprise.

"Squirrels?" she asked, her hands pausing in his hair. She had had some sense that Pilot's upbringing had been nontraditional, but not quite that nontraditional.

[/html]
[html]

"Yup, neither of us knew about them until Lannen told dad. Actually, I haven’t even met him. Lannen, I mean. Dad and I left before I had the chance to go see him. But I met dad’s sister’s children, and everyone else. It was a really good time. Strange, though, to know that those strangers were my family." Apollo paused for a moment, reminiscing on the memories he had created the past few months. If only their mother had been there to enjoy them as well. Apollo sighed audibly, before realizing so, and offered a smile to the Italian girl. "I missed this place though," he told her, as if that was enough explanation for his return.

Apollo laughed at Savina’s one word question. "Yeah, you didn’t know that? When dad was a little pup, he was found by a family of squirrels that raised him. He first came to a wolf pack called Storm, and learned all about being a wolf. He didn’t eat meat, yah know? I guess he was real skinny and sick when he came. That’s why he’s still kind of small." Apollo too was small, considering their arctic heritage, but that was because he and his brother had come prematurely. He wondered if he would remain that why like his father, or if he would surpass him with age. "Anyhow, I learned quite a bit about my family."

[/html]
[html]

Savina listened as Apollo relayed how they had found out about their family. It would be strange, meeting a bunch of strangers with the knowledge that they were family. They probably wouldn't feel like family at all. Though probably a few days into their visit that would have started to change. "That would have been strange, but I'm sure it feels good to know them now." Even if his family didn't live here he could always return to them if he needed. "How's your dad doing?" The last time she had seen Pilot had been when she had learned what had happened to him and taken off to find Hybrid. She had barely been healed by the time the two must have left these lands. "Well this place missed you," she said smiling and scratching behind his ear.

The story of Pilot's surrogate family was quite...interesting. Being raised by such small herbivores. Though the woman supposed it must have been pretty brave of that squirrel mother to take in a wolf pup. If it weren't for her she might have never met Pilot or Apollo might have never existed, so she was thankful that the squirrels had done that. "That's really amazing, I had no idea. He had said something when I found him up a tree one day, but I could have never guessed. I knew about Storm though, that was Kansas' birth pack. I can't believe he survived that way for so long." She couldn't imagine not eating meat and surviving on what a squirrel would eat. "But, he turned out alright, so I guess it worked fine for him." Her head nodded. "I'm sure you did. It must be good to know where you come from."

[/html]
[html]

___ "Dad’s just fine now. He took to his family a lot sooner than I did. It was strange at first, yah know? All these people sayin’ you're family, even though they were complete strangers. Made a lot of friends, though. Dad looked happier than I’ve ever seen him." Apollo stopped to think about that. He never really understood the damage that had been inflicted on his father with the loss of Apollo’s mother, the bought of depression, and then the incident with Hybrid. It was good to see him looking so happy though, even with the news that his sister had passed on.

___ "Yeah, it’s nice to know I have family somewhere, I suppose. Though, it would be nice to meet mom," he added, in a voice that seemed to fade away. His face grew serious for a moment, hurt that the whereabouts of his mother were unknown or whether or not she was even alive. But he pushed that away, looking up to find Savina’s emerald gaze with his all too familiar crooked smirk back in its rightful place. "I wonder what this place has been up to," he mused aloud, steering thoughts away from his family now.

[/html]
[html]
I don't remember if Savina knew that Apollo had never met his mom...so I'm just gonna say she does XD

It relieved the raven woman to know that her friend was recovering and happy. Seeing the man so broken had been hard on her. She had wanted to see him, after she had done that stupid thing, but she had been a little broken as well after that. It had been a slip up for her, a huge slip up, and it had taken a few weeks to get everything mended. Luckily she had though and she would never forget how understanding everyone had been. "I'm glad he's happy, and doing better. That's what's important." Savina may have missed Pilot, but it was more important that he be somewhere where he felt safe and secure. If this place wasn't that for him anymore than she could hardly blame him.

Her smile turned downward for a moment after Apollo mentioned wishing he knew his mother. She couldn't imagine having never known her mother. She didn't say anything though, cause nothing could make that pain any better, so she just hugged the boy closer for a moment. Though he seemed to recover fairly quickly, which didn't surprise her in the least. As his smile returned so did her's and she ruffled his hair. Savina looked up for a moment and put her free hand on her hip. What had been going on here the past few months? "I don't know really...same old stuff from what I can tell. Though I have been cooped up in the mansion quite a bit, so I'm probably not the most reliable source." Even before she had spent most of her time indoors she had barely left Crimson Dreams since discovering she had been pregnant.

[/html]
[html]

___ He chuckled at her comment, shrugging his shoulders lightly. "Oh well, I’m sure you’re right. Same old, same old." A yawn caught him off guard then, and he smiled wryly as he raised a hand to cover his muzzle. "Guess the trip has worn me out," Apollo commented, pushing silver strands away from his eyes with the same hand. "Say, you mind if I stay the night tonight? D'you guys have a spare room for me in the mansion?" He wasn’t sure whether or not he and his brother’s room would still be unoccupied (as it had been the last time he had returned), but what he did know was that a night sleep on one of those old mattresses really would be nice. After all, those nights spent lying on the ground and traveling all day had really worn on his internal battery. Apollo needed a good recharge.

___ "One of those beds would sure be nice," he mused, picturing the old beaten up thing in the brothers' bed room. It had been much too small back then, but now would probably be perfect. Maybe, in fact, a bit too short. It was still day time, but by the time they made it to the mansion, it would be getting later. Maybe he could even catch a glimpse of a few familiar faces.

[/html]
[html]

There definitely weren't any large events besides the birth of her children that came into her mind (though most else would have been overshadowed by that, big or small). If there were anything of interest no doubt he could find out about it. She smirked as a yawn split his maw. "I would imagine so." Savina knew little about this continent so she had no idea how much land he had traversed to come back here. No doubt a good amount that would warrant a good night's rest. "A spare room for you?" she said grinning. "Of course." She leaned down to plant a quick kiss on the top of his head. "And there always will be."

Savina gave the boy's neck a little pinch. "Let's get going then, shall we?" Having Apollo under the roof of the mansion would be comforting. That way she knew he was warm and safe. She had a feeling his stay would not extend itself as long as it had last time, but she was happy for whatever he was willing to give. "I even think your old room is still vacant, or at least was the last I checked." That had been the room he had used last time. It probably held good memories for him.

It was only now that she noticed the things he had with him. "What's in that case there?" It had a very odd shape to it, nothing she had seen before.

[/html]
[html]

___ He was delighted to hear that Crimson Dreams would, once again, be able to house him for the night. There was nothing like sleeping in your own bed… well, what was once his own bed. "Sounds great," he replied to Savina, breaking from her touch as he stooped to collect his belongings. He shrugged the backpack on and then swung the guitar case over that. It was made of a soft black material, some sort of vinyl perhaps, but protected the shiny wooden instrument just the same. Apollo preferred it to the hard case that Sawyer had also had, since the young Haddix would have had to carry it by hand.

___ "Oh, that would be great," Apollo exclaimed as Savina spoke about his old room. Of course he would take anything he could get, but seeing that place would be perfect. He would sleep well tonight, knowing there was nothing to stop his mind from being at ease. He kept his pace matched with hers as they made their ways towards Crimson Dreams. He was plenty eager, but enjoyed Savina’s company too much to hurry them anymore. A smile appeared when she directed a question towards his belongings. "A guitar," he responded simply, characteristic smirk returning. "My cousin showed me how to play it. Gave me it too. He has a couple of ‘em, and he’s a lot better at playing them than me. Wish they woulda had a piano. I would’ve been able to show him a thing or two." He offered Savina a playful wink before another slight yawn caught his maw.

[/html]
[html]

It seemed that he had gathered a goodly amount of things in his journey. The last time he had returned he hadn't brought much with him, maybe only an item or two. Now he had a bag and the strange looking case. There were still parts of the culture here that Savina was getting used to. Before here she had had no material possessions. Even now she didn't have many. She and Kansas had their blankets, pillows, and furs that they used for their bed. Kansas had his books. The only things she really had that she thought of as "her's" were her necklace that always adorned her and the writing slate he had given her on the day of their mateship. Apollo also wore clothes, which was weird to her. She couldn't understand why anyone would want to wear human clothes, but she supposed if he liked it then that was all the reason he needed.

Guitar. She had heard that word before, but where? After a few moments of digging through her mind it came to her. "Oh! It's the instrument with the strings, yes? Haven has one as well. He found it after he learned how to shift. I haven't heard him playing it around lately though...Come to think of it I haven't seen him for a while either. Hmmm, that's strange." The Aatte youth was prone to go out on his little excursions, but he had never been away for as long as she suspected that he had been. Hopefully nothing was wrong. "Well your musical skills are branching out! I'd love to hear you play again, if you'd be willing," she said returning his wink. "Oh, and my den is on the main floor of the mansion, so that's where I'll be if you need to find me." It seemed every time he came back she was occupying a different room. Though this was only temporary, until the pups grew. Then she and Kansas would move back upstairs.

[/html]
[html]

End this soonish?

___ "Of course," Apollo replied, hitching the strap further onto his shoulder to ease the pressure it was placing there. "Maybe I can play something for you and the kids," he said, knowing the perfect little melody already. It had been one of the first he had learned and was mostly about memorization. He figured they would like it, seeing as how it was similar to a soft lullaby.

___ "Main floor, gotcha," he replied, making a mental note of that. He wasn’t sure how long he would actually stay in Crimson Dreams, since he felt bad over extending his welcome. Most likely he would be there for a night or two, and then Apollo would find somewhere new to sleep. Of course, Crimson Dreams would be a usual haunt for him. It was the one place here where he felt relatively at home. "Thanks again," Apollo told her, "for letting me stay." He was sure it wasn’t entirely conventional, and he appreciated that.

[/html]
[html]
Shore! I still need one with Ryan! :o

Savina turned her head to look at him as they walked, smile still gracing her features. "That would be wonderful! I would love that and I'm sure they would too!" There was no doubt in her mind that her children would be enchanted by the music Apollo would be able to play them. It might even coax shy little Cambria out of her shell. As always Amata would be exuberant and excited. Gotham would appreciate it, though quietly, as it seemed was his manner. She wondered if any of them would gain skills in musical instruments. Only time would tell.

The raven woman wouldn't mind how long or how short his stay beneath the roof of Haven Manor was, though secretly she hoped it would be on the longer side. Even if he never joined the pack again, she would be fine if he used as his home base. It wasn't the kind of hospitality that she would offer to many outside the pack, but she really didn't think of him as being any kind of outsider. "Apollo, don't mention it. You'll always be welcome there, for no matter how short or long." A glint entered her eyes. "Besides, that way I can keep an eye on you," she said to him with a wink.

[/html]