how does it feel, to be without a home
[html]
Por Jac! Big Grin 300+

The Aatte youth sat on the beach, the city crumbling behind him. The void that had taken over his heart seemed better and yet greater all at the same time. He had done something to try and help himself, but that something had been leaving his home. Leaving everything he had ever known and loved. Leaving his mothers. Leaving his sisters. He still didn't know if it had been the right decision, but he had needed to do something. He wasn't the boy that they had known. If he was ever going to return to Crimson Dreams, it would need to be at a later time. At a time when his life made sense again and he wouldn't be a burden to his loved ones. Still, that pack had meant so much to him and he knew that he had left a part of himself when he had crossed that border.

The crashing waves did little to calm his soul, but thankfully he was sober. He also looked much more presentable than he had in weeks. Before going to see his mother he had bathed himself in the lake to wash off the grime and the stench of alcohol. He wore his tattered jean shorts and army jacket, sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His snowy mane had grown long and he had tied it back in a loose pony tail. Jade eyes stared listlessly out into the ocean and he rolled a smooth stone between his fingers. He needed to leave the city. All it held for him were bad memories and plentiful supplies of his opiate. But where could he go? He was homeless and his heart was hollow. He had taken a step, but he was still as lost as he had been.

Haven's arm pulled back and he threw the stone and watched it fall into the waves of the ocean. Maybe he should go somewhere and find a ship to take him somewhere new. To Italy or Ireland. But he had already separated himself from his family a great deal, putting more space between them wasn't an appealing idea. The boy sighed, rest his chin on his knees. He needed a lifeline, but who would throw him one?

[/html]
[html]

White footpaws tread lightly through the wet sand, padding at a brisk even pace. Jacquez Trouillefou was conducting a search, personally sniffing around to see if any of his mongrel companions had washed up nearby. It had taken him several days' walking to reach Ruri and company; perhaps some of his followers had chosen to walk even further. He stubbornly rejected the possibility that they had drowned in the storm. He had found no ragged bodies washed up in the seaweed; perhaps his dog pack had scattered to find their own fortunes. He would make their ears bleed if they thought he was dead!

Pouting unhappily, the collie-dog let his dark eyes wander from the ocean back to the shore. There! A figure was huddled on the sand, morosely tossing a stone into the deep blue sea. He did not smell familiar, but he was alone nonetheless. Jacquez's fringed ears flopped forward as he tilted his head, studying the odd apparel this male sported, before taking a deep breath. "Bonjour, étranger! Comment allez-vous?" he bellowed, caring not that the solitary boy was not a likely candidate to speak French. The stray dog had gone most of his life around others that did not speak French. It was just a habit he had of using the pretty words. It made him sound more worldly, more royal. Also, ladies seemed to like his accent.

Without waiting for an answer, the self-proclaimed king stomped the short distance, squatting down onto his haunches to see eye-to-eye. "Green! That is a pretty colour, monsieur. What are you doing here?" He pursed his lips, catching a delicate whiff of the strange youth's garments. "Aha! Have you any drink left over?
You are a wicked child, spicing yourself with good rum and not saving any for moi..."
His expression drooped comically, one hand clutching at his lean chest as though his heart were breaking. He did miss his rum. It had been too many days without a decent drink.

[/html]
[html]

Haven was so swept away in his thoughts and the crashing of the waves was so loud in his ears that he didn't even notice the man who was walking the shoreline towards him. The boy heaved a sigh as his jade-green orbs stared out into the water. The idea of letting the waves carry him somewhere was a little appealing. Even if they didn't take him somewhere maybe he would drown and he wouldn't have to worry about anything anymore. Gods that was morbid. His frown deepened even further, disgusted by his own thoughts.

Then a voice cut through his melancholy reverie, though in a language he did not understand in the least. His head turned to take in the silhouette of a one-armed male coming his way. For a moment his heart froze in his chest. Conri… Though when he took a better look he saw that it was not his sire coming towards him. This man was differently colored and was broader of chest than Conri Church. He was thankful that the man knew English, but his forwardness took the Aatte youth aback. His eyes widened slightly and mouth hung agape for a moment. "I…uhh…I’m…" He shook his head, clearing his mind. "I’m…trying to figure my life out. Not having much luck either," he said with a sad frown.

Did he still smell so strongly of booze? He thought he had done a pretty good job washing himself off, but apparently not. "I don’t have any with me, sorry. But there’s plenty back at the bar. I could show you to it, if you wanted." The idea of leading someone to the bar when he was finally trying to escape it didn’t make him feel like he was progressing, but he didn’t want to be rude either.

[/html]
[html]

"This nose does not lie. It is my talent, to find the booze," Jacquez said with a wicked smile, tapping his nose with a white finger. The scent was faint, it was true, but still there if one was looking for it. "Mm, monsieur, you stay at a bar... My petite Ruri has mentioned you! You are a friend of hers, yes?" The collie-dog rubbed his chin with his good hand, dark eyes calculating. No - he could not remember the name. It was not important. He rocked back on his heels, standing up to tower over the polite boy. "We shall walk! And talk as we go, for I am curious. Why does a strapping lad such as yourself choose this lonely place, when there is a happy cabin down thataways?" He did not even consider that Haven had family and a pack he called home; he was merely wondering why a friend of Ruri's would be by himself, rather than by her side. She was a charming little thing.

The lean-muscled canine tilted his face to the sun, enjoying the warmth on his face. The salty breeze fluttered at the ponytail he sported, teasing at the multitude of hues in his shaggy fur - the reds and browns and whites all blending smoothly throughout his pelt. Now that he had a good rest last night, filled his belly and satiated his thirst, he was in a much more accommodating mood. "The ocean, she is happy today. She will not claim any ships. It would be a good day to sail..."

[/html]
[html]

At the mention of Ruri his bi-colored ears pricked up. The one arm, the similar ears, the apparent love of rum. This must have been her friend that she had been separated from when their ship sank. "You're Jac? She mentioned me? Yeah, yeah I'm a friend." Suddenly he felt tongue-tied. This man was a king. True, he didn't look much like one, but he knew Ruri hadn't been pulling his leg when she told him that. "You're a...a king?" Even though he knew the answer, he couldn't help but ask it. It was like some part of his childhood dreams were coming true. Haven was no knighthood material, but even knowing there were still kings out there was something.

The youth stood up, dusting himself off. "It's this way," he said, motioning for the man to follow. "I...don't want to be a burden and put my issues on anyone else. Besides, I think Ruri's the only one there that likes me..." That red girl sure didn't, though he couldn't say why. He didn't much care for her attitude either. Firefly had seemed nice at first, but he wasn't so sure if she cared to have him around anymore. "Also I...just left my pack. My father he...did awful things to my mother. She has enough to worry about, running the pack, without having to see her son who looks just like the man who hurt her." There were other reasons too, but that was one of the main ones. He hadn't even been able to face Nani to tell her he was leaving.

It didn't take long for them to reach the bar. Spending a month here had made the boy quite familiar with the streets of Halifax. "Here it is." He pushed open the door and held it for Jacquez. "Oh, and I'm Haven."

[/html]
[html]

"Jacquez Trouillefou, his royal highness." His deep voice crooned, enjoying the sound of his own name. He knew that hardly anyone could pronounce his long and complicated French name - hence the clipped sobriquet that others used, "Jac". It was easier for them. They could always call him "Highness", though. Or he would accept "Sir Jacquez", if they liked that better. A pity, that no one bothered with his elegant surname. "Of course I am a king. Can you not recognize my noble bearing? You are not accustomed with the ways of royalty, eh, Haven?" He chuckled, shaking his head lightly. Today's youth was simply undereducated. He wouldn't insist on men bowing before him, but it wasn't something he'd frown upon, either...

The collie-dog tilted his russet face curiously, listening attentively to Haven's lachrymose tone. Family issues were something that blew in one ear and out the other with him; he had no memory of any parents or siblings, and even if a female approached him with a pup of his, he had no interest in adopting the role of a father. They could raise his kids if they wanted to, or abandon them; whatever suited their fancy. That was the stray way. He had been abandoned, and it hadn't bothered him one bit. Apparently wolves were much more attached to their biological relatives. "If you do not wish to be a burden, monsieur Haven, then you must stand up for yourself. No one will ever like you if you loathe yourself." The tall Optime shrugged his good shoulder, striding into the building. The attractive scents of various drinks met his sensitive nose, and he grunted with pleasure, moving immediately to the shelves on the walls. What would he start with? Off-handedly, he added, "Mm, but if you left your pack, you are welcome to join ours. Ruri and I are going to start one on the beach." His white fingers danced atop the smooth glass bottles, intently studying the ragged labels. What would be the strongest?

[/html]
[html]

If he was being honest, he didn't recognize Jac's "noble bearing". Whenever he imagined a king he always wore a crown and lavish furs, fabrics and jewels. Or at least that's how it went in the stories. But then again, those were all human kings. He supposed it only made sense that canine kings would be different. "It's an honor, sir," he said with a slight bow. "Well, I know a little your highness, but only in stories. I've never put it into practice." It felt a little odd addressing this man so nobly, but then again it had been what Haven had dreamed of. Of having some liege lord to be a knight for. He couldn't just ask Jacquez that though. True knights didn't ask to be knighted.

The youth was surprised when all of the comments about his family went uncommented on. He didn't say anything about it though. Maybe it was best if he didn't go further into it. Jacquez probably had better things to worry about anyway. "Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm just...having trouble finding my direction." Everything he had ever known he had just left behind. Where was he supposed to go from there? Haven scratched the back of his neck as the older male made his way inside the bar to search for what he desired. He stayed at the front, wanting to avoid his vice as best he could. "You are?" The Shattered Coast wasn't far from home, and he had promised his mother not to go far away. "What does your highness need in his royal court?" He was fishing for what he wanted, but at least he was doing it somewhat tactfully.

[/html]
[html]

He got a bow after all... That was nice. "Stories, you say? Stories like what?" He hoped they were stories about him, although such an egotistical desire could only derive from a true narcissist. His proud plumed tail waved idly behind him as he selected a bottle, one with dark glass and a long slippery neck. He began to fiddle with it, attempting to open the ale with only one hand by tucking it beneath his elbow. Usually he could pull it off, but not before his newest admirer... As Haven continued to wallow in misery, Jacquez snorted, looking back at the troubled young man with a touch of derision in his glittering black eyes. "Why?" he asked bluntly, tilting his head with the question. "What direction is there to find? You will always look like this man, the one who sired you. Will you always crawl in circles, afraid to stand and be recognized?"

He pursed his lips, turning back to his bottle. Try as he might, his deft claws could not secure purchase on the bottleneck, and in one flash of a mood swing, he whirled about, throwing the bottle at the wall. The glass shattered with a mighty crash, raining potent grog down upon them both. He roared a laugh, his mood sweetened by the worthwhile explosion. Wiping the sticky drink from his lean muzzle, the unpredictable canine sat on the end of the bar, crossing his legs onto a stool. "His Highness is looking for defenders, someone noble enough to protect the womenfolk we take in... I imagine, monsieur Haven, that not every pack is pleased with letting the wolves they don't like gather together in one place. It will make them nervous. As though a rebellion were brewing..." He tapped a finger on his chin, mind wandering already. Starting that sort of mischief excited him, thrilled him. But he had no plans for war, not really. "We do not lack those with heart; we just need a brave soul to back them up, keep them safe. Do you know anyone of that vocation...?" His smile grew wider, quite dazzling too, in his mind at least. A pity that the rakish expression was wasted on a boy; perhaps he would try the same smile on the lady Firefly when he returned to the shores. Ruri had spoken quite fondly of her friend Haven - would it lift her spirits further to have Jac bring him back?

[/html]
[html]

He watched as Jac fiddled with a bottle, trying to open it by himself. Haven wanted to offer to help, but knew that would only insult the man's pride and that was the last thing he wanted right now. "About kings and queens. Brave knights and beautiful ladies. My mom told me those stories when I was little. They were my favorite. I uh, used to pretend to be a knight..." Gods, should he have said that? He probably just seemed foolish and desperate now. What he would have given for his old confidence and charisma to return to him right now. "No. I'm done hiding." With those words a type of steel formed in his voice. He wouldn't drown his sorrows in the dark, not anymore. "I just don't know where to go. What I should do."

Haven had not been expecting the man to throw the bottle at the wall and he shielded his face from the crash of glass and liquor. At the king's hearty laugh a small, crooked smile formed his lips though. He wiped the ale from his arms and face as Jacquez took a seat on one of the bar stools. At his words, something stirred in his heart, something that had been still for a long while. Haven wasn't a fighter, or at least wasn't trained in such things, but he had always defended his sister. He probably would have defended any woman that was in danger, it was just in his nature. "I...I could try," he said, looking at the hybrid man. "I'm not trained in combat, but I could learn. I always protected my sister back at home. I wouldn't let any outsider harm any of your court." He has his disliking of the scarred red girl, but that didn't mean he would stand by as she was attacked.

[/html]
[html]

"Go where you want. Do what you want to." His replies were as simple and blunt as ever. To someone like him, who always acted on impulse, following his every whim, it seemed like such an obvious answer. Why question yourself? Just act, act, act. Actions speak louder than words. Never stop moving forward. "Why pretend? Be a knight. It is that simple! Life is what you make of it."

The Frenchman chuckled, almost feeling the reason behind the youth's apprehension. "Firefly, Svara, they are strong women... but les attitudes get them in trouble. Why else would you find such ladies of influence, living like outcasts? Too proud to ask for help. Then there are the needy ones, such as petite Ruri, who have to rely on others all of their lives, and feel shame because of it. They all need someone to stand up for them, even if they are loathe to ask." He reached below the counter, dragging up a new bottle without looking to see what it was. A small growl bubbled from his cream-furred throat as he used his sharp fangs to wrest the top free, spitting it to the floor. Triumphant this time, Jac raised the bottle in his sole hand, pouring gulps of the fiery brew down his gullet. "Feu! Now that is the good stuff," he purred, long tail stirring up dust on the counter. "What was I saying? Ah - you have no need of training, you learn from experience. I'll brawl you, monsieur, if you like the practice...!" Already buzzing with recklessness, the big male flexed his fingers into a fist, grinning madly. He did so love to fight...

"This, I like," he said suddenly, his attention abruptly rerouted by the glint of something shiny. "A ring in your ear... I like the looks of it." His pale fingers nearly brushed against the small metal hoop dangling from Haven's snowy-white ear, but he withdrew them in a rare act of considerateness. Perhaps it would hurt him, to handle the piercing. He had seen earrings before, but only from a distance. His former pack lived in too much poverty to afford such bangles, and too much squalor to risk the infection of a piercing gone awry. His greedy mind was now transfixed on the idea, though, and was already trying to calculate how he could get his own. "Is... your sister cute?"

[/html]
[html]
Jac is awful! XD

Haven had used to be so impulsive. At least to a degree. He liked going off on adventures, but he was always sure to consider other's feelings. Especially those of his family and friends. He wasn't the type to do anything regardless of how it would effect others. Part of his soft nature. So all he did in reply was shrug. To him there was more to a knight than just being one. You needed people to serve and protect. You needed royalty to actually knight you. "I suppose, but no true knight goes around calling himself one without being given the title in the proper way." He wanted to be a true knight or nothing at all. Though he did like the "Life is what you make of it" bit.

He had never been given the red female's name, but it must have been Svara. Jacquez's words made sense though. Even women like those two needed help and protection, even if they were too proud to ask for it. It would work, Haven didn't want to do this sort of things for thanks, he wanted to do it because it was right. The boy had a strong moral compass and being a knight was the perfect thing for such a person. At least that was how he saw it. Perhaps he didn't need training, but he would like it. A protector was no good if he wasn't prepared. He grinned at the king. "Ah, thank you my lord, but it would not be well suited for me to take up arms against his majesty." Besides, Haven had more in mind than simply tooth and claw.

At the compliment his grin widened. "Thank you, sir. I found the ring here in the city and my uncle pierced me. I'm sure we could find you one if you wished." In fact he could probably find the exact shop where he had found his own ring. Though at the question about his sister the youth sobered up some. Mati deserved someone who would love her unconditionally, treat her right, and stay with her. While he had nothing against the collie, he knew he was not such a man. "I...suppose well enough. Though there are many more women out there more...befitting a king." He chose his words carefully. Not wanting to offend Jac but wanting to steer him clear of his sibling.

[/html]
[html]
OoC: He truly is. Big Grin

Jacquez raised an eyebrow, cluing in on what Haven was pressing towards. He wanted an official knighting, did he? Well, it was certainly within his divine rights as king. Knights who were sworn in under oath were always the most loyal. This was not the place, though - he was not certain of Haven's loyalties yet. The young man was still conflicted, between his origins, his family, his previous pack. He would wait just a little longer, to see if the youth could prove himself. "Take up arms, eh? What arms did you have in mind, monsieur?" Where he came from, tooth and claw were all there was. He was not used to the bountiful resources of this treasure trove, the empty buildings rife with artifacts and playthings. There was such a myriad of possibilities...

"I certainly do! You must help me find one, later I presume," the tall canine crowed, excited at the prospect. He could use more shiny things in his appearance! He could be the sun king, glittering with golden adornments... The image pleased him. He had never bought into the idea of wearing clothing - he was far too handsome to cover himself up - although accessories could be fun. He used to have a big hat, but it was washed overboard, ostrich-feathers and all. Having a shiny new piercing or two would certainly ease his loss.

Jac snorted, amusement turning up the corners of his eyes. Haven was tactful, when it came to his family. The womanizer did think a girl with the same burnt-orange fur and intense jade eyes would be quite a looker, but he would respect Haven's wishes. After all, he would feel perturbed if anyone started courting his little Ruri, even if it was Haven. It might happen someday anyway, but not if he could help it. "Fair enough, mon ami, fair enough. Although if she too shares the same interest in fantasy and royalty, you might do well to introduce me...!" He winked roguishly, unable to give up the last word. He had gone longer without women than he had without liquor, and both vices were necessary.

[/html]
[html]
Figured we could wrap it up.

Haven knew he would have to prove himself before Jacquez would bestow such an honor upon him. Besides, being knighted in a dingy old dive bar wasn't exactly what he had had in mind either. Waiting would be best for all involved. "Well, off to the west there's an old castle. There's doubtless plenty of choices in there. Though I would like to find a sword." All the famous knights used swords. He had heard tell of maces and axes as well, but a sword was more to his liking. Hopefully he would be able to track one down that wasn't rusted and useless. Blackmoor Castle was vast though, surely there had to be at least one good sword inside.

Haven grinned at the king's exuberance at the idea of finding a piercing. Most of the time when someone had seen his earring it was all "What did you do to yourself?" and "Why?". It was nice to have someone actually appreciate it for once. Then again all of the naysayers had been females. Maybe it was something girls just didn't get. Who knew. "I would be happy to, sir."

Relief leaked down his spine as the roguish man conceded on the subject of his sister. Mati was very precious to him and he would be skeptical of any suitor, especially one like Jacquez. Unlike the royal imagine though, he and his sibling looked nothing alike. Where he was lean, she was full-bodied and tall. Her fur was a rich earth color and her eyes like violets. Though no doubt it didn't take much to strike the man's fancy. Haven gave the king a chuckle at his wink. He did certainly have a way of lifting someone's spirits. "Is there anything else I can help your highness with at the moment?"

[/html]