the moon is not your mother.
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_disorder.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Private for whoever calls it in this thread first. This would be the aggression thread. :3

The hybrid had ventured out of Inferni again, deciding it might do to check out some of the forests of the surrounding area. Inferni was well-protected and far from the closest pack—she'd determined those were Phoenix Valley and Dahlia de Mai, both roughly the same distance from Inferni's borders. There were plenty of miles of woods between the two, though, and Kaena felt secure enough. There were no packs to the north, and Inferni stood in the way of those territories, meaning anyone who didn't want to traipse right through claimed territory had to wander across Halcyon Mountain in order to reach the upper territories. Kaena liked it a lot that way—if they found any special sort of resources in those territories, they would be easy to annex or protect, whichever Gabriel decided to do.

These woods were quiet, though her sable ears could detect the noises and movements of many different animals in the trees and on the ground all around her. The thick coat of leaves and other debris on the forest floor deadened much of the sound, and though the forest was bursting with life, the Lykoi meandered through it undetected. Her footfalls were soft, and crouched for a moment, leaning forward onto her hands to smell the ground. There was an old scent of a wolf here. He was vaguely familiar, but Kaena could not place him. They had met somewhere before, she knew that much—but with just a fading smell and no face to accompany it, she had little hope of identifying the wolf. It was probably no one—perhaps someone she'd simply smelled before.

Continuing on, the Lykoi ambled forward again, coming to a break in the trees as they began to thin out. She could see Halcyon Mountain in the distance, and she knew beyond that lay the former territories. She wondered whose bones had burned in that fire, and how many names and faces would be lost forever. It hadn't changed a thing about Inferni—but all of those wolf packs she had known for all her existence in 'Souls had been obliterated, unable to survive the trek over the mountain range. For that, she was glad—it meant the force that bound the coyote clan together was far stronger than the bonds the wolves had forged. The miscreants, the monsters, the loner, unfriendly creatures who hardly took to the social life like their wolf cousins—they had survived the flame and smoke and the wolves had not. Something in Kaena swelled, that familiar sense of pride for her clan.

She stopped on the edge of this almost meadow, pausing to again smell the ground. There was no scent of wolf here, though she could clearly smell Gabriel here. She was not so far from Inferni's territory, so it was not improbable that he had passed through this spot in recent weeks. It had begun to drizzle again, the mid-afternoon break in the near-constant rain coming to a sudden close. The threatening clouds hadn't stopped her from taking a stroll out of the territory, but the threat of worse storms looming over the mountain was enough to give her pause. She did not want to be caught in a severe type of storm so far out from the shelter of Inferni's caves.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: Hello there! Big Grin 300+

The knowledge of what her father had done to her mother ate at the girl. She had not let on that much when she'd been around Haven, but maybe it had taken some time for the thought to sink in. Rape. An awful, terrible word, something she never wanted to hear again in her life. She could not go back to her home, and how long would Haven shelter her before he got into trouble? Brooklyn had stayed away from home, sleeping in Halifax, her whole body shivering in the cold night air. She hadn't wanted any of this, she almost wished she had never been told. Staying there, awake, staring at the ceiling of the decrepit house, the white girl had found her heart hurting in her chest. She was lonely, plain and simple. The thought of discussing that awful thing with anyone back home was inconceivable. So who else could she tell?

The thought came to her almost like in a dream. Gael. He could understand, he had to. Brooklyn waited for the storm to clear slightly and then purposefully strode out of Halifax and into the forest, ready to take on whatever happened. She would find Gael, she could call for him at the borders. Their chance meeting had been just that, chance. It would not happen again too soon. The clouds gathered above and she flicked her tail impatiently, her two-legged form the preferred method of travel these days. She looked up, her breath ragged in her chest. She needed to hurry up.

Brooklyn started running towards the mountain. She could see it clearly from here. Soon, the smell of Inferni would hit her nostrils once more and she would have to force herself past the rows of skulls. They didn't give her nightmares, she was a bit old for that, but they affected her in ways she had not thought possible. They frightened her and made her want to run back. But she wouldn't. She would seek Gael, she had to. Pushing herself for the final sprint, the girl did not even see that she would soon have to answer for her daring actions.

[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_disorder.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Hooray. X3 Do me a favor, though, and don't let Brooklyn drop her last name? She knew Misery and she knew Ahren was close with her, and Brooklyn sharing her last name would just cause too much curiosity for Kae to be all "RAWRIAMKAE." XD

The coyote considered her predicament, wondering whether it would be smarter to just head home for now and come back later, maybe tomorrow—if the rain finally broke. It seemed to have rained for the last two days straight, only occasionally offering the briefest respite from the constant precipitation. Kaena had always been rather neutral regarding the rain; it didn't bother her, and she wasn't afraid of thunder like some she'd met, but neither did she adore storms. They were irritating, more often than not; storms dulled the senses and made it more difficult to see, smell, and hear.

As the hybrid considered, she did not have to wait long to make up her mind—it was made up for her. A white bullet sprinted across the meadow, making a beeline for Inferni. Kaena smelled an unfamiliar, distant pack, and took off after the she-wolf without hesitation, picking up the pace. She was not a particularly great runner, but she was determined to catch the wolf before she entered Inferni territory. The coyote bolted after the wolf, using a far more wolfish run than the coyote trot she usually preferred.

"Hey," she called out sharply as they came to the Inferni border. The white skulls gleamed and beaded water from their flat, white surface. "Stop," she added. She didn't have much of a right to do anything on neutral territory, but the wolf was clearly headed for Inferni's borders. The coyote's tail flicked back and forth, and she caught up, closing the distance between herself and the ghost-white she-wolf. Her golden eye flared anger. "Going somewhere?" the ashen hybrid said, glaring at the white wolf.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: Finally back from absence, sorry for the delay and all. I'll make sure Brook hides her last name, too XD 300+

The girl kept on running, the wind howling in her ears as she desperately tried not to think about what she was doing. Brooklyn couldn't really believe herself, the way her heart kept pumping at the thought of seeing the other wolf. She still refused to think of him as a coyote, because that meant they had to hate each other, he of Inferni and she of Crimson Dreams. She couldn't handle that, at all. The thought that a friendship could be broken or indeed prevented from happening was ludicrous and something she would not take just lying down, oh no. The storms wheeled overhead and she stopped for a moment, just to admire the thickening clouds.

It was then that the voice of the other reached her ears and pierced into her heart. Brooklyn turned around to look at the stranger and the sight frightened her. The woman was older, much older than her and scarred in ways she had never seen anyone be scarred. The way she held herself told the girl that this was not a newcomer, that she had either been here before, had grown up in the area or was so secure in her power that she needed no confirmation from others. Her voice was strong and determined, but Brooklyn would not be daunted. She had done nothing wrong, whatever her future intentions might be. For the moment, she would hold her own and see what happened.

"Yes?" She hastily threw the bangs out of her eyes, to give herself a better view of the female. "I was going to see my friend," she jerked her head over to Inferni, "over there. Can I go now?" A note of arrogance had slipped into her voice, but Brooklyn chose to ignore it, confident in the neutrality of the lands.

[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_jaws.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:221px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
No worries! How would you like for this to end up going? Kaena might let her pass with the right answers, and the warning that anybody else who catches her trespassing will attack her, or if she's insistent and trespasses in front of Kae, Kae will end up attacking herself. xD Or if you have another idea other than aggression, let me know. I have a fight thread going right now so I could do something else. :O And I'm sorry this post sucks, I'm tired. D: OMG LONG OOC IS LONG.

The ivory she-wolf seemed so rushed; it aroused every suspicion in Kaena's body, and she moved around the woman, giving her a wide berth, planting herself squarely between the young woman and Inferni's territory. The coyote glowered for a moment, listening to her speak, though there was no snarl on Kaena's face. The woman hadn't trespassed or done anything wrong—yet. But she was making quite the sprint straight for the border, which was clearly within view, marked with gleaming white skulls, some of them splashed red with paint. Even if they were technically on neutral territory, Kaena wasn't going to just let this stranger wander unmolested into her clan's territory.

"Over there belongs to Inferni, and so do I," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. It was pretty clear the coyote wasn't going to stand down without a fight, and her scars attested to her skill in battle. The single glowering eye focused on the pallid she-wolf, narrowing. "Who's your friend?" Inferni was sixteen large, but Kaena knew the faces of almost everyone in the ranks—the only one she hadn't had a chance to catch up with was Hybrid, but he had seemed rather distracted and busied as of late. He was a Hydra, and he kept pretty close to Gabriel, as was his duty. Kaena was glad to see him fulfilling them still; Hybrid was one of the only coyotes she recalled from her former days, and he was a good one to have in the clan's ranks.

The coyote woman studied the pallid wolf before her. She didn't appear dangerous and they were on no-man's-land, so there was no hostility in the ashen hybrid's demeanor. All of that could change at a moment's notice, however, and Kaena was at the ready to defend her clan from invasion—if she was smart, she would wait on the borders or call for her friend there. She was a wolf, and full-blooded by the looks of it, so Kaena wasn't sure what would happen. Many wolves trampled coyote borders as if they did not exist, and it enraged Kaena to no end. She was at least respectful enough to keep off of claimed wolf land.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: Back and ready for threads now! Big Grin Also, I didn't really think Brooklyn should get through, so maybe Kaena could get physical if the situation starts going that way. Brook wouldn't hit Kaena, but she would certainly push her luck and try to weasel in towards Inferni. Hm, I'd say we see how it goes for the next couple of replies first? ^_^ Sorry if I'm being all vague. D: 300+

Oh, honestly, how much longer would this dance take? Brooklyn was weary of pushing too hard, ever since the Darkness had touched her, she had not really felt herself. The wounds were near invisible now, just thatches of missing fur where her hair had been torn by his teeth, but there was little more than that. Still, the fear of a fight made her careful, on edge. She could not risk anyone finding out that she was from Crimson Dreams, or the wrath of Inferni would fall on her pack and then she really would be in trouble. Starting a war with the coyotes might get her exiled and no good word that her mothers could put in would make the other members forget that any casualties taken by their pack would be entirely a product of her stubborn nature. With Amata, Gotham and Cambria still so young, the threat increased tenfold. She would have to watch herself around this female.

"Why should I give you his name?" her voice called across the silence. Gael had mentioned that he had problems with others, that he got teased by the coyotes in Inferni. She would not be one to betray him and set him to these coyotes' wiles. Brooklyn flicked her tail impaciently, her glance going from time to time to the edge of the coyote lands. What would happen if Gael came along and saw her? Would he turn away and pretend she didn't even exist? Would he try to get her out of the jam? She shivered and tried not to let her own fear show. "I've always been respectful of your clan and its lands and I certainly never intend to cross borders on my own. But my friend has said he's not seen much love here." She was treading on unknown waters. How well did she know Gael?

Brooklyn had heard enough of Inferni to be weary of them. She wanted Gael to come home to Crimson Dreams with her, she wanted him to leave these people. Glancing at the intimidating skulls, she added bitterly, "No surprise, with those skulls hanging around your borders. Who in the world could find love here?"

[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/ ... tblood.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:248px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Welcome back. Big Grin I don't think they should end up straight-up fighting, since I wouldn't want to cause too much drama for Brooklyn and Gael, yanno? XD Unless you want it. ;D But we'll see what's going on, agreed!

Kaena could certainly understand love between a coyote and a wolf; she had it happen to her at least twice with full-blooded wolves, and once with a coyote hybrid who'd chosen life as a wolf. The grizzled woman herself had known the thrill of loving the forbidden, the other side which they were supposed to hate and kill just for their blood and their heritage. She had actually never met Gael, so dropping his name would have been relatively useless, though she was aware of a few presences in the clan which were unfamiliar to her. Still, the woman did not like the smart answer, and it was surely visible as he features twisted into a snarl, half-listening to the pearly wolf's next words as the rage in the Veritas's chest brewed.

It was a brief show of anger, the snarl twisting her scars and knotting her muzzle disappearing after only a few moments, though there was still obvious irritation on the monochrome coyote's features. "Because if you don't, you aren't seeing him tonight," the coyote responded, her words short and condescending, as if she was speaking to a child. Her tail flickered in annoyance; perhaps she would have been willing to call whoever was the friend of this female prior to that answer so the two could meet (outside of Inferni, of course) but now that possibility was dwindling. "Oh yeah? If you were so respectful, you'd surely understand I'm trying to protect my people," she answered, surly voice now rather indignant. Both of them were opposite sides of the same coin; while there were only two children amongst Inferni's ranks and neither was Kaena's blood relative, there was still that maternal instinct to protect them—and the other members of the clan—at all costs.

No, Brooklyn didn't look particularly dangerous. Hell, Kaena was sure that a nip to her rear would send the pearly she-wolf scrambling for her life, but still. Danger wasn't always blatant and presented as it was within her. Anselm was evidence enough of that. He could have easily passed for full-blooded wolf if he chose to disguise the scent of Inferni from his pelt, and in time even that familiar badge would have faded, allowing the russet-gold hybrid to flit openly amongst the wolves, slowly and surreptitiously gathering information. Nonthreatening as Brooklyn appeared to be, the gray hybrid took no chances, and sneered at her. "Yeah, those are meant to keep people out," she said, her voice growing caustic.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: Please forgive me for the delay. Gael's gone now (;_Wink though I believe that ICly it hasn't happened yet. I'd say we let it go on another few rounds. Brooklyn certainly wouldn't attack Kaena (also, haha, she earns her "lose a fight" skull XD) 400+

Brooklyn was used to getting her own way. She'd had very little confrontation to deal with, especially considering how much her mothers had accompanied her in her formative months. Now, though, she was reaching adulthood and any fights she got into would be her own. Her feelings on Gael were still sketchy, her encounter with the Darkness made wolf still a fresh thing in her mind. She liked the wolf, refusing to believe he was a coyote. She herself was part coyote, though her father was someone she never wished to talk about. She wondered if the hybrid would even accept her into Inferni, assuming she ever went with Gael. It tore her apart and Brooklyn didn't even realise that maybe, just maybe, she was falling in love with the wolf.

"Are you jealous?" The words were out before she knew what she was saying and the snarl from the older female made her own hackles rise dangerously. She was no puppy, being told to stay away from the lake or they drown! She was not a child, to be scolded by a stranger. She was Brooklyn, daughter of the leaders of Crimson Dreams and she would not take such abuse from anyone, least of all someone like the hybrid before her. "Protection I understand. You can smell another pack on me, can't you?" the girl retorted, her voice growing testy. "What could I do to harm your kin? I come alone, unarmed. There is no one hiding in the bushes to help me. Look, I understand your position on this, I would protect my family to the death, but what threat am I to the strength of your clan?" She was shrewd, Brooklyn D'Angelo was. She knew, from rumours and stories, of the pride the Inferni coyotes carried themselves with and now, face to face with one of them, she could see why. They were strong, ruthless, blood-thirsty, the stuff of nightmares.

For the first time in her life, Brooklyn questioned why the coyotes hated the wolves so much. Had they suffered that badly? If she did indeed love Gael, why should they be separated because he was coyote and she was not? Why should their love suffer for the sake of blood vengeance? She looked once more upon the skulls. Though she hid it, the fear was certainly present. The words of the grey female reached her ears and she couldn't help but notice the tone of voice. Rounding on she who was keeping her from Gael, Brooklyn snarled and replied, "It's a wonder you don't run out of members, the way you welcome them. No wonder the wolves hate you," she added, pointing an accusatory finger at the female's chest, "when you do nothing to try and find peace."

[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_bloody.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:230px; padding-left:15px; padding-right:15px; padding-bottom:10px;">
♥ No problem. Big Grin I was not sure if you were going for provocation, so I held Kaena off a bit. XD

The hybrid woman crossed her arms over her chest tightly, half obscuring that brilliantly red star on her chest. Kaena would have been shocked to know this white wolf shared a surname with that dark, coal female Misery—the very wolf which had forever marked her skin with the symbol of the Lykoi, hand-picked by the matron of the family herself. It would have given her pause, anyway—but the girl's attitude was nearly too much for the ill-tempered coyote. It was only their present position on neutral lands which made the coyote hesitate to act in violence. "Hardly," was all she said in response, her lip curling to expose one long, sallow fang against the black of her lips and the pink of her gums.

Still, the sneer did not fade from her face even as the woman spoke to Kaena's better senses, complimenting the coyote clan. She smirked, and shook her head. No—she did not think this single ghost-pale wolf was a threat to Inferni. Not by herself, anyway. She shrugged a coal shoulder. "Threats aren't always obvious," she said. It didn't matter what she thought—she was not the Aquila of Inferni and she was bound only to protect it. There was no responsibility to judge those that walked on their territory, let alone power to grant that freedom to outsiders.

The derisive sneer on her face was replaced with amusement, and the hybrid actually laughed, a raspy, throaty sound echoing from her muzzle. "Peace?" she asked suddenly, the laugh dying as suddenly as it had come, that searing eye focused on the girl again. The woman stalked toward her, fist twitching and the snarl writhing on her face. "Why should I try to find peace with a species that has killed us for centuries, just because we are smaller competition?" The grizzled woman was quite close now, that golden eye narrowed.

"You said it yourself. Wolves hate us. So why should I make peace with you?" There was mockery in her tone; Kaena did not give a damn if every wolf in these territories carried hated coyotes. Inferni would still stand strongly against them through the flow of time. The wolves could not crush her beloved clan, not so long as Gabriel wore its crown. Not as long as Ryan and Anselm and Kaena herself roamed the ranks of the clan—they were a dangerous, ruthless bunch, and the coyote clan was far stronger for it.

thanks to james for the header image
[/html]