right back over the edge.
[html]

Set @ the coast.

After his midnight rendezvous with the Aquila, Anselm had retreated promptly back to bed. The exhaustion of the previous week and the excitement of the night had caught up with him and hit hard. He slept uninterrupted for hours, paying little heed to the rise of the sun, the chatter of songbirds, and the world outside in general. By the time his twin red eyes blinked open in response to a strange dream, the sun had already reached its peak in the sky. With a half-groan, half-grunt, he rolled back over and slept some more.
When he woke again in the early afternoon, he rose stiffly and stretched out his cramped muscles. It was time to do... something. Rolling grey clouds greeted him as he emerged from his cave. A couple of quick sideways glances ascertained nobody was in the immediate area, and he set off in no direction in particular. Eventually he found he could go no further--the waves rose up and roared at him, daring him to come and play. Taking this as a taunt, he obliged, but just barely. He laid down alongside the shore as the waves rolled in and lapped roughly at his body--it wasn't that hot out, but he felt overheated anyway.
At any rate, this was the safest place in the territory for him to be. Flanked by the ocean, scent markings weren't necessary. It didn't seem like this particular stretch of beach was frequented much in general. This was fine. This just meant he'd absorb the salty sea smell over Inferni's--which was ideal if he intended to go snooping around the other packs soon... and that he very well did.
[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_disorder.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">

The coyote hybrid herself had been sleeping most of the day away herself. She still had yet to find herself a permanent home, a thought which didn't bother her so much. She had no children and no family to live with her—so sleeping in the wilderness and open was just fine with her for now. Even in Optime form it wasn't uncomfortable, and though it meant she was more likely to be disturbed by coyotes who kept daytime hours, she was willing to take that risk for now. She generally stayed near to the coast, and it was here she was rising just as Anselm was laying near the sea.

She stretched and yawned, various parts of her body popping and cracking as she relieved herself of the night's stiffness. Rising from sleep was always the largest reminder that she was indeed growing older, and as she contemplated this wearily, shaking the sleep from her eye, she caught the scent of another. He was rather fresh, but she could also faintly smell Gabriel clinging to his fur, so there was familiarity here, as well. The coyote pulled herself to her feet, again stretching, and wandered onto the beach, the sand squeezing between her toes. It was afternoon as she expected, and though there were several hours of daylight left, the Inferni coyote was glad she'd missed the hottest parts of the day. Summer was undeniably here, permeating the air with humidity and heat.

She spied the hybrid in the waves several yards away, and made her way over steadily, curious to find out if this was just a visitor or a new member of Inferni. She had not yet seen his eyes, or else she might have pegged him for one of Gabriel's paternal relatives almost instantly. The scarred hybrid advanced on him slowly, her tail arced in a manner that was rather friendly, the black tip of her tail wavering in the air. "Good morning," she said, an uncharacteristic cheerfulness in her voice. If this was a visitor admitted by Gabriel, she ought to have been on her best behavior, and the same went if it were a brand new clanmember. Though the reaction to such a statement at this late hour was generally met with confusion, she had no idea this stranger held similar hours, and such a greeting to him was ridiculously appropriate.

[/html]
[html]

:O SIEEEEEEEE -Pounce.- I have a funny anecdote for you later, rofl XD

The rhythmic crashing of waves had a hypnotic affect on the caramel male, and the effect was obvious: he scarcely noticed her presence until she spoke to him, as he'd finally caught her scent over the salt only when she was almost upon him. As she addressed him, he turned his head and glanced back over his shoulder with two garnet eyes that quickly widened in shock. He'd never seen her before, but he'd heard enough of the rumours to recognise her almost instantly. Not to mention her eye which so perfectly matched her son's...
He'd wanted to see Kaena--he'd just figured he'd have to work for it (i.e. track her down himself). He certainly hadn't expected her to find him this grey 'morning.' Quickly minding his manners (even Anselm, with all his pride, knew to respect elders and those of legends), the golden wolf rose as elegantly to his feet as he could muster (he couldn't help but fail, as his legs and most of his stomach were dripping wet while he was otherwise dry). He turned to face her and offered a deep bow of his head.
His tail swept along behind him a few times as he took a seat. "Likewise." A pause. "Gabe told me you'd found your way back home--now I just wish I had sooner," he said with a rough laugh. It was true, though--between that and Ryan having a daughter. "Anselm de le Poer," he offered. His expectations for this encounter were high. The woman before him had seen a lot. It was rare for him to hold someone in such high esteem outright.
[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_columbus.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
-huuuuuggg!!!- I want to hear. :3

The coast was a familiar haunt for the Lykoi by now. She'd been a member of Inferni just shy of a month, and it seemed she spent most of her time here or along the coast in the unclaimed part of The Waste or Drifter Bay. Even so, she did not like to venture far from her home territory, and the tiny inlet Inferni had staked as its own was her favorite place to be thus far. There was something about the sand between her toes and the wind whipping her fur that made it feel more like home, and reminded her terribly of the old territory. Hell's Coast was long gone and burned, but the coyote thought of it often.

The hybrid caught her approach, and turned to face her with two bloodred eyes. She halted and faltered a moment, the grin fading for just an instant as she recognized the origin of those eyes easily. Not that there was anything wrong with being a de le Poer—Kaena was just surprised to see one with such a high percentage of wolf here in Inferni. He spoke, and rose to his feet, half-dry and half watered. His words indicated he had heard of her before, or maybe knew her—the hybrid woman returned the dip of his head, her golden eye burning with curiosity. It did not stay long, as he spoke of Gabriel and introduced himself.

She smiled, though she did not reciprocate the introduction. He obviously knew who she was. Sometimes other loyaltys surfaced, however, and she understood that better than anyone else. "I had to come back. There's nowhere else for me," she proclaimed with a grin, immediately indicating her loyalty to Inferni, renewed and burning in her chest as plainly as the red chaos star emblazoned across it. It was true—there was nowhere else her heart beat so loudly and she felt so right as here. There was nowhere else she belonged, and it had taken her too long to realize it. Gabriel was obviously how Anselm knew her by just her face—otherwise she might have asked him how.

"You're related to Gabriel," she observed, the grin again fading, though there was certainly no hostility in her scarred gaze, merely curiosity. She was intrigued, and there was little bashfulness or shyness in the Lykoi, certainly not enough to make her anything but direct and blunt. He was a wolf, and therefore he was related indirectly to her children, and a non-blood relative of her own. She held no connection to the de le Poers by blood, merely the tie she had forged with Ahren in bringing Gabriel and his brood into the world. Still, it was a connection—and each tie that tethered its members together strengthened Inferni as a whole.

[/html]
[html]

Cool table!

It was somewhat debatable whether Anselm's loyalties lay with Inferni itself or simply Gabriel (and now Ryan). In his mind, Gabriel and the clan were linked so strongly that they may well have been synonymous, so the issue was a moot point. But what would have happened if he'd returned and both his cousin and his daughter were gone? Other than the leadership, he didn't know anybody else in the clan particularly well. Would he still have joined, or would he have wondered off somewhere else?
Hypothetically he could pass for a wolf and join about any pack he wanted--but that would never happen. For the most part, nobody here gave a fuck what he did and nobody was obnoxiously stupid--both things the stubborn wolf could appreciate. Furthermore, the leadership was competent. Anselm wouldn't be able to tolerate an inept leader for very long--he certainly wouldn't submit to them, but at the same time he certainly didn't want to kill them and lead the rest of the morons that had followed the first guy, either. That said, it was pretty much all Inferni or nothing. If Gabe and Ryan were missing, but still alive, he'd probably go to find them. If they were gone for good, it was kind of a 50/50 situation.
For now, though, they were here to stay. Between himself, Gabriel, and Kaena alone they'd over a dozen years of tactical and combat experience. They also had over a dozen adult members. Though the skies were cloudy this day, the sun certainly shone on Inferni. They could both feel it, and he nodded at her response. "About the same for me. I lived in these lands before the fire back at your old place," he explained. "It used to be deserted all throughout this region, which was nice. But when Gabriel showed up with Inferni knocking at the door, I wasn't complaining either." If the fire and the subsequent displacement of the old packs had to happen, Anselm was glad that Inferni had settled here and nobody else.
"Anyway, it helped that I already knew the lay of the land. We were pretty efficient at detecting intruders and keeping tabs on the other packs since I knew all the back ways to get anywhere." A pause. "Now that my scent is neutral, it's about time for me to do the same again. But that can wait until tomorrow." He shrugged, then considered the question implied in her statement about his heritage. "Yes. I call us cousins, but I don't think that's technically correct." Anselm was always bad at terminology for relatives--he hadn't seen most of his growing up and he really didn't care. "We share the same great-grandfather." Maybe she knew what that was called.
[/html]
[html]
mall-caps;">In Character
    Had Kaena been able to peer into Anselm's head, she would have seen thoughts almost mirroring her regarding clan and kinship. She had founded Inferni as the only Lykoi, and though Kerberos lived after her departure, he did not reside in Inferni. Her primary drive return to Bleeding Souls after her first departure had been vengance, and she had wanted to taste Salvaged Eternity's blod. When she had found her clan devoid of familiar faces save Kesho, who had never been too close anyhow, she had delayed an immediate return to Inferni, and instead pursued Salvaged. The strange leadership and the new faces within Inferni made it far less of a priority for the coyote on that return, but it was the presence of family and potential family which drove her back to Inferni the second time, when she found it under Segodi's leadership.

As the Lykoi regarded Anselm with her single golden eye, she noted his high percentage of wolf. There was definite coyote in his blood, however, and she saw it in his slightly muddled features and his tawny golden fur. Were it not for her experienced eye, he could have easily passed for a full-blooded wolf. Those crimson eyes were striking, that same bloody color of Ahren's eyes. There was something hard and sharp in his features, and the Lykoi matron noted that, her golden eye taking in all of his features and filing them away. He was here to stay, she saw, and Kaena was even more glad as he continued to speak.

It seemed Anselm was an experienced creature, and he was largely in part to thank for Inferni's continued existence. He seemed to be a tough, loner type, however, and the Lykoi wondered if he were not distantly related to Gabriel if he would have offered his helping hand so willingly. It didn't matter—Anselm was a very smart canine, and he was an asset to Inferni's ranks. "Glad to have you back," she said with a grin. Inferni felt more powerful already, strengthened by the return of this canine. "Inferni needs as many canines like you we can get," she said, complimenting his extensive skills—he hadn't quite organized them into a bulleted list for her convenience, but she caught the jist of things from his words, and what she heard had impressed her. The fact that he was a de le Poer already commanded her respect.

She thought about it for a moment, and somewhere from the murky depths of her mind came the answer. "I think cousins is close enough," she said. There was only one degree separating Anselm and Gabriel from being true cousins, and Kaena wondered just how far the de le Poer family's vastness extended. There were several members of it she was now acquainted with who seemed to have little relation to Ahren, the focal point of the family in Kaena's eyes, anyway. Anselm was more closely related to Ahren than he was to Gabriel, naturally, but they were still a distant sort of cousin, separated by a degree of family. Valkyrie was even more distantly related to Gabriel and his father, separated by an entire branch and several generations. Kaena had no idea what to call that relationship herself, and she thought it was worth investigating later, perhaps when she had spare time to rifle through the books in the city.

[/html]
[html]

--

The fires that tore apart all of the other packs had only made Inferni stronger. In the chaos, the wolves had scattered and formed new alliances, seemingly settling wherever the tide threw them. To Anselm, this meant one of two things: their old ties and commitments meant nothing to them or their leadership had failed. Either result was viewed as a weakness. Despite the pandemonium, Gabriel had kept order and lead his group more or less together. Upon arrival, he'd staked claimed to the most strategic territory on the southern half of the peninsula and gained a powerful ally at once, all while the wolves were still sitting on their thumbs and crying.
Even now, the other packs continued to dissolve and spring up elsewhere, maybe with half the former members here and the other half there. Anselm could not understand this behaviour for his life. With his wolf-rich heritage, he had a strong pack instinct despite his preference for being left alone. What they had weren't what he would call packs--they were more like random membership clubs. Everyone that mattered in Inferni, even if they turned up missing, inevitably made their way back. They were a family; not a mishmash of random drifters. Ultimately, for Anselm it had little to do with species: it had everything to do with sense. Where the others failed Inferni would always reign supreme.
Her compliment did not go unnoticed, though he simply nodded in response. Usually, he reacted to compliments and criticisms alike--with a big fuck you, why do I care what you think at all? This, though, was spoken from the mouth of a heroine--the woman who'd dared to stand up to her oppressors and lead the 'yotes to victory. What could have stopped the wolves from crushing their smaller relatives other than the outright fear she'd instilled? It was a strange thought--he was here talking to her so comfortably now. Then again, they had ties that bound them. If he could guess, they only seemed to be growing stronger by the minute. "Mm; Gabe mentioned tensions with some of the neighbouring packs.
"I'd like to get a sense of their numbers so we know exactly what we're dealing with. How many males, females, adults, children." These were things he usually just did automatically and discussed with nobody: to Gabriel he reported the results. Now, though, he was curious if the grey woman might have other ideas for what he could investigate. "All of that I can accomplish just by lying low and looking around. Maybe I'll even find some subordinates with loose tongues for further detail." Anselm knew enough not to fuck with leaders--they were usually much more suspicious. The trick was finding someone who knew enough to be useful but didn't know enough to be wary.
[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_disorder.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">

Previous to meeting Anselm, Kaena had attributed Inferni's survival after the apocalypse primarily to Gabriel; what the wolf had just told her contradicted that belief and forced the hybrid canine to rethink her knowledge of Inferni's history immediately following the fire. It did indeed seem Inferni owed much of its survival to this hybrid before her—and she was just beginning to understand it. She was grateful; thanks to this mixed-breed canine before her, she actually had a home to return to. Kaena wondered if it weren't for that, if it weren't for the presence of family—would she have come back? Surely, she would have explored these lands as a loner, investigating each grouping to see if any of her family lurked there... but she did not know for certain then if she would have stayed.

The coyote was not surprised when Anselm spoke of the tensions between other packs, though Gabriel had seemed to refer to Dahlia de Mai's aggression as being almost completely blown over. He hadn't told her to avoid them, but neither had Gabe said to be unnecessarily friendly with them. "I'd pay real, real close attention to Phoenix Valley," she told him, her voice growing dark. Her fight with DaVinci had already put the Valley pack in poor standing with the Lykoi, and according to almost everyone else she'd spoken to, on the whole Inferni and Phoenix Valley were not the best of friends, though their disagreements hadn't escalated into anything violent aside from her own spat with DaVi. She knew almost all of the packs by name—Dahlia de Mai, Phoenix Valley, Crimson Dreams, and Cour des Miracles. There was one more, but it was far, far to the south and Kaena hadn't encountered a single member of its ranks. "I'm sure you've heard. I got into it with one of them the other day, way out on the beach. He remembered me from his childhood, from chasing him off of Inferni's lands." Her tone and word choice made it clear the youth was lucky his life hadn't ended on that day. Kaena had little patience for children who ignored the clear-cut rules of the world.

Kaena had never been one for spying or surreptitious action, though she understood its necessity and valued it for its informative purposes. There was a slight shrug of her shoulder. "I'd say Cour des Miracles isn't anything of a threat," she said, recalling her meetings with it's king and a subordinate of the pack. Neither had been particularly nasty to her, though both had been treading close to Inferni's grounds. "Though I don't think you should ignore them in your casing of the lands," she added. She didn't know for sure, but she thought they might be seeking an ally. They were, after all, a very new pack. Anything official was up to Gabriel—Kaena personally would show no hostility to a Miracles animal, even if he was full-blooded wolf. Their king had been kind to her, and he had earned her respect. He was, after all, the descendant of domesticated animals and sans a limb—yet he managed to lead a pack.

She hesitated to tell him of her meetings with the two Miracles wolves, but it did seem mildly suspicious that two of them would show up on the opposite side of their packlands so close to Inferni. They were a new group, and Kaena thought it was within their rights to scope out other packs just as Anselm was planning on doing. She hesitated to refer to them as a pack, just as she never called Inferni a pack. Cour des Miracles was led by a dog, and the only other member she had encountered was also a hybrid creature, not fully wolf. "I met two of 'em, on two separate occasions. They were over by us, in the unclaimed part of The Waste and on the Mountain. They weren't nasty," she commented, giving Anselm a sidelong look to see how he absorbed this knowledge. "They're a new group. Maybe they're looking for allies, even." Inferni didn't need to forge an alliance with anybody, no—but mutual, beneficial agreements between groups were never a bad thing, and Kaena knew it was worth investigating.

[/html]
[html]

--

Anselm nodded when the scarred female mentioned their neighbours to the south. "Yea; it's pretty much them and Dahlia that concern me most. The Valley seems to take priority, though--they'd probably still recognise me at Dahlia, anyway." It was just as risky to go to Haku's pack later as it was now, and he'd rather hit up the Valley while it was still convenient.. if he waited to long, he'd be just as obvious there, too.
"I got into a spat with one of the members of the Valley awhile ago before I left--but I doubt it has anything to do with this situation. She instigated; I gave her the chance to run." In Anselm's mind, this made him the very definition of innocent. Despite himself, the red-eyed male was a creature of standards--he wouldn't kill without the facts and damn good reason. He viewed this behaviour as essential to Inferni's success on the whole: it was one thing to be extremely defensive of their territory, it was another to run amok killing random folks on neutral grounds. Frankly, he viewed these unprovoked attacks as unacceptable. When he'd been in the leader ranks, he would've probably whooped anyone he discovered so recklessly endangering their welfare. If they caused too much commotion, they risked attracting the attention of all of the wolf packs in the area, and prime defensive territory or not, they could only do so much against those numbers.
Regardless, if Iskata had mouthed off to him only, he might not have resorted to physical violence so quickly, either--but she'd made the grave mistake of proclaiming Gabriel's hit out on her. He'd even been polite and she'd started ranting and raving about his home and his family. Not good. Either way, he'd been gone too long for it to matter. Now Kaena explained her own confrontation with one of the members, and he nodded as he took the information in. "What did he look like?" he wondered, just so he knew who to avoid (oh, wouldn't things just be joyous when he discovered Kaena's foe was his daughter's courter?).
A gold ear flicked at the mention of "Cour des Miracles;" that had to be the new pack Gabriel had mentioned. He nodded. "Hah; yea... Gabriel told me they're lead by an inexperienced teenager." His daughter was about that age, too, he guessed, but Ryan was very competent and down to earth. The other girl had seemed downright oblivious, apparently seeing fit to trespass over clearly marked borders. Dumb. "Right; nobody is exempt. There's no sense in building a fortress if it has holes in it." Who knew; perhaps those they discredited the most would prove to be the greatest threat. They couldn't afford any mistakes.
"Can you tell me anything of where they settled? I still know where Dahlia, Phoenix Valley and Crimson Dreams are, assuming they haven't relocated, but I'm not sure about any others." If she had any information for him at all, he'd find it extremely useful. While he could easily go scout around by himself, having a lead was simply much more efficient. At her suggestion he gave a heartfelt nod, his wet tail flopping over in a half wag behind him--it seemed like deep down, she recognised the same thing he did: "Fair enough; always good to keep enemies to a minimum, if nothing else."
[/html]
[html]
In Character
    The hybrid knew pitifully little about the surrounding packs, a massive swing from her days as Aquila on the old territories, when she could have told Anselm exactly where each territory was and perhaps half of the leadership of the land. Then again, she was older and no longer the Aquila—rather fittingly, Kaena held the Veritas rank. She was rather proud of it, too—she had been a part of Inferni long before they occupied these territories and she had sporadically been a part of the clan since its beginning.

She nodded at the mention of Dahlia de Mai—Gabriel had told her what happened between the two groups, but not in detail. "Gabriel told me a little about what happened between us and Dahlia, but he spared most of the details," she said. "But he did say they're not hostile till they make it so," the hybrid added, shrugging her raven shoulders. They were a big pack, anyway, and Phoenix Valley did seem like the bigger priority, with her most recent tussle still fresh on her mind and in the bruises she wore.

"Definitely a hybrid. Steely gray fur, couple of piercings. DaVinci," she said, recalling only the child's first name from their original meeting on the beach. The rest of it had been long and unnecessarily complicated—far too many syllables and words for the Lykoi to recall so long after their first encounter. "I met the Cour's king, yeah—he was young, and he's a dog," she said, though her voice was not derisive, merely incredulous. It seemed impossible to her that a formerly domesticated creature could hold the reigns of a pack.

Dog blood flowed in her veins, though she was only a quarter canis familiaris and both her coyote and wolf instincts far outweighed whatever meager whine the dog might produce. The grizzled hybrid shook her head at his next question. "They're to the south, past the city somewhere. I dunno where exactly 'cause I didn't pass too close by, but I'm sure it won't be too tough to find," the coyote said confidently. There were bound to be clear scent trails from Cour des Miracles from Halifax, and she was certain Anselm knew that.

[/html]
[html]

-Yawns and tries to stay conscious.-

Anselm was the sort who'd keep tabs on the neighbours regardless of whether or not he was a member of a pack at all. Where he'd grown up, you couldn't exactly afford not to. Even with all its "hiccups," 'Souls was moderately tame compared to his birth place. At home they'd fought over land and resources, not simply because somebody had managed to step on someone else's toes. The golden wolf had hardly comprehended the battles that took place here--rarely was the survival of an entire pack at stake.
There was plenty of fresh water and food to go around, as opposed to one puny stream and a fleeting, transient herd that skittered around between the already crowded packs. He almost took it for granted now the physical buffers between the claimed lands--they had nearly all of the Dampwoods between them and the Valley, and Arachnea's Revenge separated them from Dahlia by a good 20-30 miles. As an added luxury, the borders were more or less stable for the packs that laid claim to them. Back home, they'd outright overlapped and there were often "no-man's land" regions that changed hands constantly.
Even in such extreme conditions, he had survived. Here he simply excelled, though he appeared borderline paranoid. Maybe he was. Maybe it was alright; maybe it would help them all to survive. "The subleader there is a monster," he spoke of Dahlia, "and if he were determined, it wouldn't take much for him to break free of the leash the leader's put on him." He'd never met Cercelee, but her distinct absence from the major battle with Inferni spoke volumes to him. The control she wielded over the monster seemed superficial; it wasn't something of direct discipline or respect (and therefore unity). For this reason, he suspected Haku could snap at any time, hypothetically even overthrowing the alabaster queen if only he cared.
Concerning himself with the matter any further would only make him annoyed. Nothing was going to bring the mother and child Haku had killed back. He sighed a bit and listened as Kaena described the male with whom she'd fought. He nodded as he filed the description away, and flicked an ear as she described the other pack's leader... a male. "Huh; Gabriel mentioned a female that barged right on in across the borders. I guess she was a subleader, then," he said with a shrug. It didn't seem like anything ought to rank higher than "King," after all. He noted the location of Cour and subconsciously found himself glancing due southwest in the direction of the city. "Hey, that's more than what I had to work with. Thank you," he replied smoothly. Perhaps after his survey of Phoenix Valley, he'd mosey on down the shore a little further. He'd already be halfway there, right?
[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_jaws.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:221px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
-caffeinates!-

The hybrid canine listened to Anselm with interest; this situation sounded awfully familiar. Salvaged was surely a monster, yet he'd dutifully served as the beta wolf of Jaded Shadows for a long, long time. She wondered if an adoptive or blood relation connected the Dahlian subleader to the alpha, though she left that subject alone. It didn't matter what tethered the subleader to his pack—if it was a leash he could easily squirm free of, there was danger.

Her own knowledge about the pack was less than Anselm, though there was something in him that seemed hesitant to further discuss the subleader and Dahlia de Mai. Still, Kaena yearned to know more—her survival depended on it. "Sounds familiar," she said. "If history repeats itself, he'll find himself an outcast sooner or later," the ash-colored hybrid added. Packs tended to be far less tolerant of evil amongst their ranks, and once the subleader was without his pack behind him, he would be far easier for anyone he'd wronged to dispatch him, just like Salvaged.

She wondered if being alone would make the wolf more or less dangerous—certainly, without the pressure and duties within a pack, he would have far more free time. But he would also have to roam across neutral lands, and without allies to call to, he might find himself at the losing end of a fight with someone from his distant past. The hybrid woman looked at Anselm in surprise, her eyes darkening. There had been no doubt that Jacquez was a leader—he carried himself as such, and he simply had that air of royalty that spoke of one who was every bit the King he claimed to be.

The hybrid nodded her head in agreement with Anselm's assumption. "I don't have much doubt Jacquez is the ruler of that group," she said. "So you're probably right. What the hell did she want here?" the coyote said, cocking her head. Now she was curious—was it possible that the Cour des Miracles pack planned something against Inferni, after all? She wondered why they would be so surreptitious as to have their king and a subordinate lurk around the borders, while sending the princess of the pack in so overtly.

[/html]
[html]

-phail.- i had a long week at work. D: they made me wake up extra early too many times ;; i swear there's something wrong with me, even if I'm bloody exhausted i can't sleep before midnight. x_x

"Oh?" A golden ear flicked as Kaena mentioned a subject he knew overwhelmingly little about: history. Anselm had a strong tendency to live day by day and in a sense his survival depended on it. He'd seen too much to dwell on the past and remain sane; he'd grown too paranoid to focus on the future without doing the same. When you got down to it, the caramel hybrid wanted to be normal... but something deep down in his brain bade him otherwise and he fought with it constantly. The only effective way to control it, he'd found, was to block out the past as much as possible, taking only key lessons as a guide for the present. He drew worries over the future back to the present by resolving to cross any bridges as he came to them. As far as he was concerned, it was all random anyway.
Then again, that didn't mean that certain patterns and trends couldn't emerge from the never-ending chaos. It seemed like Kaena had experienced something similar to the situation with Haku in the past, and he was now intensely curious about it. "What of the transition;" he wondered aloud, "the fall from grace? Surely it takes a remarkable event to turn a leader into an outcast," he mused. He'd been a subleader here, gotten fucked off his ass on psychedelics and wondered off without a trace since he couldn't handle (or maybe comprehend) the fact that he was a father (idiot). Still, he'd been welcomed back with open arms. He'd gotten in scraps with members of other packs before, too; still he was welcome here. Haku had obviously brought some amount of hardship upon the Dahlians and still he waited patiently in line to take the reigns--what could he possibly do that would be the defining moment? Was it something big, or was he thinking about this all wrong.. maybe it was merely the single straw that broke the camel's back, and nothing so spectacular?
On the subject of Cour, he frowned. "I'm not sure; Gabriel didn't say," he said, now wondering himself. "I didn't get the impression she knew anybody here in particular, so coming 'just to visit' seems unlikely. In that case, I can only assume there was one reason--the very same for me going to scout out the other packs." He shrugged--once more, his tendency to assume the worst in others shone. Maybe he was just being ridiculous, but could they really afford to suppose otherwise? Although simply keeping tabs on things was not an act of war or malice itself, Anselm was uncomfortable with the idea of them having any advantage or knowledge that wasn't mutual. While he still wasn't awfully concerned about any threat they may pose, he was now somewhat suspicious--enough to make his investigation more thorough, when before he may have simply passed on through to get a general idea.
[/html]
[html]
Oh, no, I'm totally the same way. I don't actually get tired until well past 3AM. :|

The past was a subject the coyote often thought on; with so many memories in her head, there was little else that occupied her mind. She did not engage in philosophical thinking, for she had long found that delving too deeply into the intricacies of the past exposed gaping flaws, glaring hypocrisy she could not defend. The hybrid had lived too long and seen to many complete turnarounds, wild changes and swings in her personality. As a child, she'd been scared and quiet, beaten into submission by her mother, just beginning to flourish thanks to her father's doting when she was changed again, transformed into a monster by the death of Andre, killed by his very lover. Then, violence was everything and her viciousness was arbitrary, suicidal, even. Kaena truly hadn't cared whether she lived or died. Then, her children had come and changed things for her again—the Lykoi gene gave the hybrid woman purpose in her life and a reason to carry on, and she would not abandon them so readily.

Salvaged was more recent past than that, however. "There was a shift in power, and the alpha who'd tolerated him lost absolute control over the pack. Her replacement was a lot less indulgent of his vicious tendencies," she said, shrugging a coal shoulder. Truth be told, she'd only had a little to do with his ejection—but perhaps if she hadn't fueled the flame of distrust in Spade, Salvaged might have remained in Jaded Shadows forever, shouldered and protected by the pack even if he wasn't leading it anymore. "Things change, and if he's truly vicious, a pack of more even-tempered creatures won't tolerate him forever," she said, banking that most of Dahlia de Mai was not as malevolent as its subleader. It had been that way in Jaded Shadows—certainly, if the rest of its members held even a fraction of Fatin Kali's compassion, they would not tolerate following one so violent as Salvaged as alpha. Mordulin knew that, in all likelihood, hence why she called upon her nephew to serve in her stead. At least with Spade at the helm, she stood a chance of returning to something similar to the pack she had left.

It was frustrating to find so little information on that woman and the Cour pack in general; the coyote wondered if she might be able to find Jacquez again and ask. The king probably wouldn't take too well to being interrogated—but then again, the mother of Inferni's king had a right to know why his subleaders were charging into Inferni territory uninvited. And perhaps Jacq would be eager to know his subleaders were wandering around into claimed territory portraying herself as the leader of the Cour des Miracles pack. "I got along pretty well with the one who claimed to be king. I could try and talk to him again," the coyote suggested, sharing Anselm's suspicions. It was too interesting, and the coyote was extremely curious to know why the wolf-girl had come so unabashedly onto Inferni's hostile territory.

[/html]
[html]

--

It was peculiar how two individuals could be so alike and yet so different all at once. To converse at length with anybody he'd just met was a feat by itself--to do so this naturally was just remarkable. Though they weren't bound by blood, in a sense he might just consider her his "aunt-in-law." They echoed one another's thoughts and sentiments towards the wolves, and yet they'd arrived at this point via very different paths.
Anselm really hadn't changed much since his youth--even then he was rather callous and aloof. A few good whoopings taught him early on who he could mouth off to and who he could not, and numerous scraps had lead him to discover his own strength and ability. Right from the get-go his priority had been his own survival, and he'd be damned if anybody would take that away from him.
The time quickly came to blow that popsicle stand, and he found himself comforted and frustrated by his solitude all at once. All of the things that used to take up his day (fighting, hunting, etc.) suddenly became occasional occurences and he was left with entirely too much time to think about anything and everything. With the arrival of Gabriel and Inferni, he'd found a purpose--and one he was damn good at fulfilling to boot.
For a time, things were stable and he felt at his prime. Then, a bomb went off. He just didn't click into parenthood as easily as she had. Heck, he'd been downright suprised, shocked even, to discover that his random midnight romps with the ladies had inevitably produced some children. For some stupid reason, the news had rattled him to his core and he didn't know what to do about it.
At the end of it all, he'd managed to pull his head out of his own ass, but he wasn't much different than before. He didn't know exactly what would happen when he saw Ryan again, but he was no longer worried. Everything would sort itself out in the end--as it had for Kaena in the past, it seemed. "I guess we'll have to see. As for subordinates there, I've met a whackjob and I met a girl who was actually decent. I'm not sure either are still around, though," he said as his mind drifted to Firefly, then Kol.
"It can't hurt. Maybe he can offer some perspective on his subleader... then again, who knows. For some damned reason, it doesn't seem like most of the packs function awfully well as a unit," he mused. "It's ironic, since Inferni seems to value independence of the individual members more greatly." They all did their own thing, but their loyalty remained strong. To Anselm, this was why Inferni would always be supreme.
[/html]
[html]
    The coyote woman previously hadn't put much thought into Skylar's trespassing onto Inferni's territory. It was possible that Jael and her really were half-siblings, sharing the same mother—but for all Kaena knew, this could have also been a lie, falsified information created to save her own sorry ass. Certainly, the girl must have realized the chances of her walking away were slim, so she had fingered Kaena's own grandson as her possible half-sibling. Still, it didn't make much sense to merrily plunge over Inferni's borders without giving second thought to it.

His words made the coyote curious; surely there were differing personalities throughout the packs, but it seemed most of the previous packs had valued evenness of temperament in its top leaders. Viciousness was indiscriminate, and when a wolf led a pack, he represented that pack, and it was unlikely the other groups would tolerate an unnecessarily violent group for too long, hence why Inferni stuck to defending itself if it felt threatened. If they went around attacking all of the packs, it was likely they would find themselves at the losing end against a strong alliance between at least two of them.

She shook her head. "Inferni alone survived the trip over the mountain after the fire," she said, pride apparent in her features. Her head rose just a bit and her ears swept forward, a grin displayed prominently across her scarred muzzle. "What does that tell you about pack loyalty?" There was clear derision in her voice; Kaena had no respect for the supposedly tight bindings of pack life. And it was true—alpha wolves demanded the pack members' fealty, while Inferni's leadership was not so full of itself to constantly require its' ranks to grovel in the presence of the Aquila. Besides, their bonds weren't so weak and fleeting to be destroyed so easily—most of them were family, after all.

[/html]
[html]

--

Anselm sported a grin that mirrored her own--it was as if she'd gone in and read his mind, word for word. "Exactly," he said simply, nodding in deep confirmation of this belief. It really did have to do with family, he thought. When you got down to it, those called "friends" were most often acquaintances, agreeable yet fleeting individuals who held little loyalty to any save their own blood (as with anybody else). The preservation of your own genetic material was instinctual, and it was really no wonder that Inferni succeeded where all the other packs failed: they were bound by something far greater and more concrete than the whimsical alliances of the wolves in the packs.
Perhaps this tied into why the leadership here was so lax while those elsewhere demanded more, too. The coyotes and hybrids of Inferni were family--they knew what the rest were capable of and there was inherent respect built into their relationships with one another. The wolves, being of random origin and blood, were forced to throw their weight around more to receive recognition. Maybe that lifestyle had its advantages, but Anselm couldn't see any that made it worthwhile. Yes, it might be nice to find someone to screw around with right at home (rather than worrying about them being a distant cousin), but what about when those things fell through? Living in the same pack as an ex-lover set the stage for lots of drama, and Anselm wanted no part of that. Life was chaotic enough.
"Perhaps I assume too much, but it seems like they set themselves up for it. So far as I've seen, most of the packs are random agglomerations of vagabonds and nobodies. That's not to say we don't see that here, but we have a stronger core membership that's based on a little something more than Oh, I'm tired from travelling, can I crash here until it's no longer convenient?" He snorted softly, shaking his head. "More like a damn club than an actual empire." Anselm had developed more pride in Inferni than he himself had realised--in his mind, it was more a matter of everyone else's inferiority versus their superiority. To him, asking for what Inferni had everywhere didn't seem like it should be too much--it was just unfortunate that it often appeared to be the case. "So how about you, eh? I'm sure you've seen plenty; what drove you away from the other places you've lived?" What could he say? This whole little "we are awesome" pow-wow was good for clan spirit.
[/html]
[html]

mall-caps;">In Character

The hybrids and coyotes who made up Inferni were almost all related in some form or another, distant cousins and siblings and Kaena's own descendants. This bound them tightly, for all of her surviving children were born within Inferni's borders themselves. Kaena had done a damn good job of insuring that the generation of Lykoi following her knew their true home—Inferni. In a way, this insured at least some of them would return following their generally unavoidable first departure. The only two who hadn't returned at least once were Razekiel and Conway, and Kaena figured at some point they would return. Most of the others had, anyway. Even Anselm, though Gabriel was only his distant cousin. Kaena did not yet know that Ryan as Anselm's child, and Valkyrie was his grandchild.

The trickster's grin didn't fade from the grizzled hybrid's face, and she nodded even as Anselm spoke, too eager to throw her own words about packs in with the de le Poer man's. She laughed, raspy and akin to a witch's cackle at his impression of the typical sob story at the pack borders. Too long ago, even Kae herself had told the same sort of story, believing since her father was a wolf and since he had provided the closest thing to a family and a real childhood Kaena had ever experienced, she thought to follow in his ways and attempt the life of a wolf. Wera and Narcyz's deaths spoke loudly of how well that particular venture had gone. "Inferni was almost short-lived," she said, recalling how Kidorah had told her how Inferni had dwindled to just one miserable soul by the time she found it. That was when Arlo had raped Kiriska, producing the father of Rachias, Arkham, and Andre. "But family ties us tight," she affirmed, that grin never fading from her muzzle.

The hybrid's words surprised her, and Kaena wasn't absolutely certain she had a good answer for it. It was more like... what hadn't driven her away? Her father's death and her brother's abuse had insured the Lykoi woman ran far from her birthplace at her first opportunity, stopping only to slaughter the stepmother that had sent her gentle father into the afterlife. The ruthless murder of the alphas of her only pack experience had been enough to send her high-tailing away from that place, lest the entire pack descend on her and rip her limb from limb. There was a different smile now, far thinner than the one that had been there before it.

"Since Zarah and I founded Inferni, I haven't thought of another place as home," she said, indicating that was what had driven her from every place she had visited since the two coyotes had met that night on the beach. "But when I was young, it was the usual story. Death and disorder, things of that nature. My immediate family died, so I had no reason to stay where I was born," she said, masking her tone with indifference so Anselm would be less tempted to ask about that part of her memory. It was even still painful to visit those places in her head. "Believe it or not, I tried to live the pack life, once upon a time," she said, shaking her head. Her presence here and her apparent dislike of pureblood wolves was evidence enough of how well that had turned out. "And you?" she asked, curious about the origins of this de le Poer before her.

[/html]
[html]
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304 ... wicked.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:185px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#000000; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#C2A52C; line-height:16px">

------It was hard to imagine something as constant and unwavering as Inferni almost falling to ruin, though he supposed these things did happen. Hell, if they pissed off enough people, they'd probably have little issue attracting enough enemies to stamp them out for good. They had terror and reputation on their side--that and they had everything to lose, so they could fight with fervour and voracity. But all of the mind games in the world would matter little if the wolves formed alliances and found the balls to just go after them. It was a delicate balance, a careful game the coyotes and hybrids played: just enough mayhem to keep their prosecutors at bay and in fear, but nothing too extreme lest they inspire desperation and subsequent revolt. He shared Kae's sentiments when it came to keeping up a powerful defence--otherwise they did best to keep their hands as clean as possible.

------
"What happened? I can't say I know much of Inferni's first chapters of history--all I've got to go on is rumour and legend," he said with a grin. This simple line spoke volumes alone, but he wondered if there weren't more details he was missing out on. He'd never really talked about the past with Gabriel. The cousins were much more inclined to live in the present, and in some ways it seemed like neither preferred to dwell upon the past. Regardless, he recognised this as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to discover the true origins of the clan. As a loyal member, it only made sense to know some of their earlier history.

------"Hmm; sometimes I have to wonder if we all came from chaos. Where I grew up was no walk through the park, either. There was only one river in the area, and about three or four packs which fought over it constantly. It was also the only place that attracted larger game," he said with a shrug. There was no personal or emotional turmoil here, but things were just plain difficult. "Even with keeping the kids in the deepest parts of the territory and as defended as possible, it wasn't unusual to lose over three quarters within the first year. It was easier to take out your competition that way, and by the time you were five months they already expected you to be doing your part taking out the neighbours' kids." That was how he'd gotten started--practising on the easiest targets and working his way up.
------"I honestly don't remember how long I stayed, but once I left I didn't really look back. I lived by myself for awhile until I found Inferni... or rather until Inferni found me." He gazed off across their territory before returning his attention to her. He didn't believe in fate or destiny (he made his own future, for better or for worse), but it was damn convenient that the only group with which he'd ever belong had been practically delivered to his doorstep. "Anyway, sometimes something, someone, some place... it just fits," he resolved. Where he was locked off from the rest of the world, Inferni held the only key. He could never settle anywhere else and he knew it (his recent exploits searching for any children and trying to exist as a guest in their packs had only confirmed this).
[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_jaws.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:221px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
    The coyote eyed Anselm, her damaged gaze falling on his bloodied red one. He was not so far off from Gabriel's dead father, though Ahren certainly did not have coyote blood. Still, that quarter of a coyote was muted in Anselm, and he was easily passable for a wolf. She supposed he liked it that way; he seemed like the type for surreptitious action and he had spoken of going to pay the other packs a visit. Again, the grizzled hybrid was glad Anselm was on their side. It could have just as easily gone the other way, especially if the Inferni that had traveled over the mountain was a weaker clan. It would seem Anselm was not the type of creature who would align himself with a struggling group. He had done well to choose Inferni, the only clan that had survived the trek from their prior home. There was special distinction in that.

The hybrid smiled that same toothy smile, and wondered just how much spare time Anselm had. She was the keeper of Inferni's knowledge, by the length of her tenancy and designated rank of Veritas. The gray hybrid was determined to live up to that; Inferni's story would not die with her. Again she yearned to find a coyote with the power to write; she had met Giggle and knew he was capable, but she had not seen him since their first meeting. Besides, she didn't know him well enough to ask him to undertake such a gargantuan task. "I led Inferni twice. The first time, I took over after Zarah departed," she said, pausing. She wasn't sure how to characterize her own departure—she surely didn't want to rehash the details of her first viable pregnancy and Zulifer over again.

"I guess you could say I was too distraught to lead," she continued, supposing it would have to do. There was no avoiding questions when it came to history; her personal life had directly interacted with her clan life. It had caused her to go mad and leave. "Zarah's adopted son, Arlo, took over after that. I suppose there just weren't many coyotes after we gathered the first batch up, because by the time the wolves had their vengeance on Arlo, it was just Kesho left in Inferni. Kidorah Talik rebuilt us," she explained. She hadn't been here to see the specifics of ruin during Arlo's rule. The silver canine supposed Arlo was not specifically to blame for the clan's downfall; Kaena hadn't exactly given him a stable place to stand after her sudden departure. And as often as she'd begrudged Kidorah for placating the wolves, the elder woman would not deny credit where it was due. Certainly, if it weren't for that coyote woman and her eventual co-rank and successor, Segodi, Inferni would be nothing more than dust by now.

One coal-powdered shoulder shrugged, and she swung her head to look at him, wondering if he'd want to know more. He hadn't expressed the same eagerness Halo had in learning the clan's history, and that was fine by her. At least she had given him a foundation upon which to stand, and he could always find her later if he had a few hours to burn. Instead, she listened to him, wondering what it was like to grow up in such a place. Killing children surely wasn't beyond the gray female, though she had avowed only to do so in times of war anymore. Like that Aremys kid. No, he hadn't needed to die, but it was war, and Kaena and her brood had been looking to inflict as much terror and anguish on Aremys as possible.

Kaena had always been the type to dwell in history; her mind was just a long, bloody trail of memories, long-dead and long-gone faces with half a name or no name at all attached. She did not feel as though she had seen too much, however; if that was true, she certainly would have wandered off of a cliff by now. The world was wide and an even longer, possibly more brutal future stretched forward in front of her. Anselm had discussed his history rather neutrally, displaying little overt emotion or feeling as he discussed his origins. "You're a stronger man for it," she said, very simply. It was true, and it held for almost everything in life: whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

There was an off-white smile across her scarred features for a moment, and she focused on the earliest part of his speech. "If there wasn't chaos where we were from, we wouldn't have ended up where we are. If your homelands hadn't been swept into a resource war, you would have stayed there. Maybe you wandered a bit while you're young, but if it was good and peaceful that place would be home, not Inferni," she rambled, unable to translate the thought in her head to verbal communication. At least Inferni was good. Even if it wasn't paradise rediscovered here, the coyote clan provided a stable home for the hybrids and coyotes who otherwise would stand alone or in tiny family groups against the wolves.

[/html]