Ocean and Atlantic; Joining
[html]
style="border-left:1px #808080 solid; border-top:0px #808080 solid; border-right:1px #808080 solid; border-bottom:1px #808080 solid;"

bgcolor="#170226">
out of character::black engulfs the dying

light

Character Name: Nocht

Character Birthdate (including year): May 2003

Wolf or Luperci: Luperci

Your e-mail: xfaolx@gmail.com

A secondary form of contact: (MSN) xfaolx@gmail.com (Almost never on.)

How did you learn/hear about 'Souls?: Old school, baby. Played here nigh on four years ago and then wandered off into the ether.

Apologies, therefore, if I'm out of practice.

we launch ourselves into the bright::in character

The sky was the same no matter where you were, but for her part, Nocht felt relatively happier with four paws back on flat land. Or land at

all. Relative to wanting to commit mutiny just so she could 'turn this boat around and go straight back home', of course. The four paws part

also being a turn of phrase she reflected, as she ambled inland upright, in her werewolf form. She considered the merits of being a

landlubber as her eyes, a nondescript blue, sought patterns in the slate grey clouds above her head, glancing only momentarily before her as

she moved to make sure the path was clear. Despite her apparent preoccupation she listened alertly for the sounds of approaching wildlife,

Lupine or otherwise, as her delicate nose translated and matched smells to images in the back of her mind. The scents of trees, only slightly

different in appearance to her untrained eye from those of her homeland, assaulted her with their massively different smell. It was,

depending on which way one looked at it, either an assault on the senses or a cornucopia of new discoveries just waiting to be had. Nocht was

finding herself caught somewhere betwixt and between. Excited and cautious, keeping to herself out of a sense of self perservation in this

alien land, so like home in some ways and so unlike it in others.

Finally, her nose caught the scent she had been aimlessly searching for for the past two days and a night, since her boat had disgorged its

crew upon the beach, its belly smashed to bits. (She had observed wryly, after the fact, that they weren't much good at landings yet. They'd

need more practice. Her comment had most certainly not not been recieved in the spirit intended.) The whiff of pack borders hit her

like a shock in her distraction and she stopped in her tracks. She approached further, taking more care now and once she judged she was near

enough, but still at a safe distance threw her head back and announced herself with a low howl. She had designs on announcing herself, but not announcing herself too much. She fiddled with the sliver of carved, curved bone placed in the hole through her septum as she waited for a

response, berating herself as to whether she should have howled louder or quieter.

[/html]
[html]The clouds were rolling overhead, a sure sign of another oncoming rain or snow. Lately the temperatures had been fairly low, but she was no forecaster. Maybe it'd be rain this time. Rain would almost be worse than snow; it would put a nice layer of ice over whatever was already on the ground, making it more slippery. Prey harder to catch. So she'd hope for snow.

Dierdre stretched her feet out behind her as she exited her den, shaking her head to get rid of the tiredness. Lately she had been feeling a little restless; she'd gone out to the human city only once this week, and wanted to go back to find some more things for Pilot. Her faithful mate had taken very good care of her while she'd been sick with the flu; she couldn't stop trying to show her appreciation. Dierdre had never had someone like him before, never been taken care of by anybody but herself. It was a nice change, really.

She was about to head down to the river, to catch a few more fish for their stash, (she and Pilot never ate squirrels or rabbits, as they reminded him of his adopted parents,) but something distracted her. A howl. It didn't sound like her father...no, this howl had a much different ring to it. Lighter. Someone new had arrived? She started to go toward the area that the howl had come from, around the borders, but knew that it would be a little while before she'd reach the wolf. Her den was halfway across Storm.

The girl shifted as she ran, an odd experience, and soon her four paws were two, carrying her even faster across the snowy, forested lands. It took her a bit, but soon she could begin to smell the borderline, the place that was scent-marked more than the entire rest of the area. Her mismatched eyes took in the surroundings, seeing the speck off in the distance, the wolf that waited politely at the borderlines. She hurried a little faster.

Soon the wolf came into better focus. The white wolf approached with her tail held in a neutral position; she had recieved no threat from this wolf, and wouldn't be overly dominant. New wolves would be a welcomed thing; Storm was always looking to add more to its growing family. The greeting was already bubbling out of her before she even stopped walking. "Hello! You were...the one that called?" She inquired, sitting down a little ways away. "You've reached Storm, the forest-pack led by Phoenix. I'm Dierdre, the Spaherin here. Do you have business in Storm?"[/html]
[html]
style="border-left:1px #808080 solid; border-top:0px #808080 solid; border-right:1px #808080 solid; border-bottom:1px #808080 solid;"

bgcolor="#170226">

Nocht felt both anticipation and apprehension bubble in her stomach as she watched the white wolf approach, accepting her neutral stance as a good sign. Her own tail was tucked between her legs in deference, as she inclined her head respectfully. She had convinced her paws to let her piercing alone, despite her nerves and instead she flexed her fingers individually, feeling the muscles pull and relax in turn under the soft sheen of her grey coat. She gave a crooked half smile to the other female when she spoke, nodding. "Aye, 'at was me." She acknowledged. "Figured I'd be polite considering I'm new to the area and more than a little ignorant to the ground rules around here." Nocht found herself comfortable enough to loosen her tongue slightly, but took care not to let herself say too much, too soon. She often had a hard time when it came to stopping herself from talking. She tipped her head to the side and listened with interest as her greeter offered both the name of the pack and her own name.

A forest pack appealed to her, even more-so after her recent stint as a sailor on the high seas. There were few things, if any, more connected to the land and earth bound as Nocht wished to be than trees. It reminded her of home too, the new forest that she had grown up alongside, taking root as did she. She returned Deirdre's courtesy in offering her name. "I'm Nocht." Even the other wolf's name reminded her of home, she thought as she also noted her mismatched gaze upon her. Nocht liked it, she decided. All of it. "I've no business yet, hopefully. Just another lonely wolf looking for a place a stay, hi." Her chin bobbed up slightly on the 'hi', looking both hopeful and conspiratorial as she bargained herself an invite with her charm. Or so she hoped.

[/html]
[html]
before you tell yourself

it's just a different scene

She was a little new at border-guarding. She'd only met one new wolf so far other than this one, and things had gone all right...a fact that she felt encouraged by. Thinking about it made her tail twitch a little, the tip flicking a bit behind her. "No worries; everyone's got to start somewhere, right?" Dierdre had never had to "start" somewhere; she had always lived here. If not Storm then somewhere on the lands. She'd met Phoenix after her mother had left her, and the friendly male had quickly become a father figure for her. Dierdre seemed to attract a lot of alphas; her other adopted father, Physe, had been the alpha of Chimera and Aremys before his death a few months past.

"Pleased to meet you, Nocht. I think that Storm could use a few more lonely wolves; we'll be sure to cheer you up. I've got to ask you a question first, though, one that's required of me. What sorts of skills do you have that might benifit Storm? If I might ask, too,--and if you don't want to tell me you don't have to--what's that?" She'd never seen something like this before. A piece of something was attached? No, stuck through a part of the newcomer's nose. Wasn't it painful? She was interested. Dierdre knew what tattoo's were, but no one had ever told her about piercings.
[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

She grinned as Deirdre told her that everyone had to start somewhere. The simple fact that she's started so far away and journeyed so long to join a pack practically on the other side of the world amused her. But obviously, she had a pretty shit sense of humour. Nocht was okay with that. She nodded again slightly, listening animatedly as the white wolf assured her of forthcoming good cheer and asked her what she could offer to her new pack. And at the question concerning her piercing her hand came up to her face, hyperaware of the ivory through her septum and slightly embarrassed even though she tried not to show it. She brushed one of the points with her finger, making sure it was still where it was supposed to be. She shrugged and smiled as she began to talk. "Naw, I don't mind you askin'. Me nose is pierced. That means I have a hole through it and then the jewellery," She flipped the pincer through her nose demonstratively, up and then down again. "goes through the hole and then sits in place." Nocht gave another one shouldered shrug, self consciously, tipping her head to the side slightly and grinning in self depreciation. "It's like a comin' of age thing where I come from." She added, feeling like she should explain.

She then decided to stop nattering on about her piercing and pay attention to the important part of the question; her skills. "Uhm, I can fish. And pierce to some degree." She pointed at her nose. "But I still have a lot to learn." She wracked her brain for what other useful things she could do, nibbling at the inside of her cheeks. "I can sail and read a fair bit and I'm fairly good when it comes to building or most stuff to do with me hands, although I'm not sure how useful the last bit'll be." She nodded, signalling the end of her list. "I was never formally apprenticed at home, but I try to pitch in and lend a hand with what I can." Although she did fail to mention her rather short attention span when it came to the aforementioned lending a hand. She had settled down a fair bit though over the last few months, Nocht reflected, which was the reason for her setting out in the first place. The confines of the boat while tempers grew frayed had necessitated it, even though she had still caused more than a few disagreements. But as time had passed she had settled down more and learned the ropes of life on the high seas. She hadn't stepped off the boat the same wolf who stepped on, even though she didn't even fully recognise her own growth yet. Which wasn't to say that she didn't still have a long way to go, however.

[/html]
[html]
before you tell yourself

Dierdre nodded at the explanation, though she still didn't quite understand it. Did it go in at both ends, or go completely through the middle? It didn't seem to be causing Nocht any pain, so she dismissed the thought after recieving the explanation. She didn't know if what she was asking was something that might be considered rude--but she'd been curious.

"Great--that all sounds good to me. We love fish here. Maybe you can show me some new fishing techniques later on. But for now--I'll call for father"

The snow colored wolf lifted her nose to the sky, releasing a "newcomer!" howl, listening as it echoed off of the hills, dissapearing.
[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... efinal.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; padding-bottom:140px; background-position: bottom center;">
Welcome to BS!

The massive male wasn't sure how he was going to do it. He had taken the position of alpha with the encouragement of his family, and the support of his mate. With one of their children missing his mate had gone off to find her, leavig him alone to raise their other pups for a while (no big deal, he'd raised Sun and Moon completely on his own) and also leaving him to lead the pack without her by his side. Though Iskata herself held no hig rank in the pack (perhaps because of his overzealous efforts not to show favorites), it was her support, her strength that he leaned on. Without her to come home to and let her scent melt away the troubles on his mind each night, he didn't know if he could handle the job.

Still, Phoenix knew he could handle the job for a little while at least. Instantly he was upon his feet when he heard his eldest daughter's call and on his way to see who she had found. When the half-shifted male arrived to he scene, posture high and proud as an alpha's should be, he eyed the optime warily. Usually joiners cme to the borders unshifted so as not to appear threatening. While it was not a rule, it was still an unspoken courtesy. Nevertheless, there was obviously something about this wolf that made Dierdre believe this could be the newest addition to their pack--their family--so Phoenix was willing to overlook it. He nuzzled Dierdre quickly before geting to work. "Greetings," he spoke. "I'm Phoenix, the alpha. An' you are?"
[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

light

Thanks very much. =) It's nice to be back.

Nocht nodded, raising her hand to rub at her nose absently, a nervous gesture, as the white wolf threw back her head and let loose a howl. It was wonderful that they liked fish, because she personally had had more than her fill of it months ago, but she enjoyed the actual act of fishing. She found it oddly therapeutic, waiting for a bite. Curiously unlike her current situation. She hated waiting, hated being put on the spot in situations like this. She inevitably found herself analysing and dissecting everything she said or did after the fact, berating herself for one thing or another. She smoothed the fur over her belly as she waited for the alpha to approach. She didn't consider herself nervous, of course, she thought as she bit her lip gently, perhaps just anxious, or justifiably worked up about the whole thing.

She dipped her head respectfully as the male approached, trying to prevent any more nervous gestures, although she could feel the angle of her ears against her skull, veering nearer to terrified than merely respectful. She took in his half shifted state and the bulk of his frame as he approached, inspecting him briefly as he gave Deirdre a quick nuzzle. She liked the look of him, she decided, but she could still feel a near imperceptible tremble in her bones as he spoke. However, her voice was firm and unwavering, if her tone was respectful and somewhat shy, as she replied. "Greetings." She said in kind. "I'm Nocht. I've," She faltered for a moment, glancing at Deirdre, unsure if it was her place to explain, but not wanting to appear an idiot, continued. "I'm looking for a pack for the, the time being. If you'd have me." She felt hopeful, even despite the colony of butterflies that had taken up residence in her stomach.

[/html]
[html]
before you tell yourself

She knew that Phoenix sometimes doubted himself, but she didn’t think that he had anything to worry about; she and Pilot were there, as well, to help make sure that the pack ran as it should. She hoped that he knew that he could depend on her like that; Dierdre knew that she might have given up that opportunity, that trust, when she’d left the pack to look for Deuce those months ago. She would try and earn it back, through hard work. She wasn’t planning on leaving Storm ever again, not for anything..

Dierdre didn’t think that Phoenix was a very frightening figure, as she’d grown up with him, but she supposed that, to a new wolf, he could look quite scary. So far things were going well. She was doing exactly as a newcomer should, showing Phoenix the right reaction to his arrival. Dierdre nudged her large family member in response, turning back to the matter at hand. ”She can fish and is good with her hands-a useful wolf, I think”
[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... efinal.png);background-repeat: no-repeat; padding-bottom:140px; background-position: bottom center;">
Phoenix sometimes forgot how intimidating he could look on the outside—large and brutish looking, with scars and marks all over his body and a braid of stubborn mane that dangled from the back of his head even when he was unshifted. His fur was dark and his multi-hued eyes piercing, as if he was looking into the stranger’s soul—which was completely within his abilities if he wished to. But he respected the other wolf’s right to privacy and instead softened his own dominant stance by lowering his tail when she showed the proper amount of respect to him.

The massive male listened to the newcomer speak and then turned to his daughter for her opinion. She seemed to be sold, but there was something Nocht had said in passing that bothered Phoenix a little. “To us, a pack is a family,” he pointed out. “I don’t really like wolves who jus’ join for th’winter or only so long as it suites their needs. If you pledge your allegiance t’Storm, we can’t make you stay forever. But we’re opening our hearts and our homes to you, an’ we’d hope that you would do th’same. If you join our pack, you join a family.” He didn’t want to see yet another wolf leave the lands just as they grew close to her. “What do you say?”
[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

light

Slight edit for my own inability to calculate my character's age. Sorry, it was bugging me.

Nocht felt touched by the alpha's words, the slight softening of his stance towards her and the depth of conviction in his tone. She was slightly taken aback for a moment as she considered this. At home, in her own pack, they were of course family, a number of them blood relations with one another. But they were also intellectuals, flighty and occasioanlly eccentric, scouring Eireanntalamh, as they had dubbed it, for books and the remnants of the cultures that had conquered those lands before them. While there was a close knit core group there were also numerous visitors and travellers who settled briefly while on their way elsewhere or even for a number of seasons, landing a hand or paw while they could before moving on again. Her childhood had been a landscape of constantly changing faces, playmates and caregivers who soon disappeared from her view and so her mind. Some stayed, though few and far between and they had built a loose web of friends and family as each year another litter was born and they grew ever larger. Even her parents weren't always there as she and her siblings grew, wandering off into one adventure or another as they were left in the care of the pack, and as they grew they were encouraged to strike out on their own and explore and learn. That was how Nocht had originally ended up on a boat bringing her to only the Gods knew where, setting off on her own adventure. The crew on the boat had almost perfunctory relationships with each other for the most part, with a few of them forming close bonds. Nocht had admired the captain and enjoyed his company, but he was a grizzled old sea dog and while he never rebuffed her, he was distant.

This, here, was an honest to god opportunity to find a family away from her own, an offer not to be taken lightly. She already felt a slight affection for Deirdre and a rapidly growing respect for Phoenix. It would be all too easy to say yes without accepting the ramifications of her decision. If she said yes she was promising them to offer them her all, to treat them as kin. And somehow, Nocht felt reassured that she could do that. She nodded at the alpha, still nervous in his presence, but nowhere near as terrified as she had found herself. "I say yes. I'd be honoured, honestly." She paused for a moment to weigh her words before adding. "I can't promise I'll stay for ever either, but I'll plant my flag with Storm. And leaving would never be a decision I would take lightly. Not with all you've just offered me."

Also, she'd probably have to build a new boat to get home. She was still only four and a half though. She had plenty of time to decide to leave. For all she knew, she might never want to return. But for now she knew where she wanted to stay.

[/html]
[html]
before you tell yourself

It had been a while since Dierdre'd had a female friend. She stayed around Moon, Phoenix, and Pilot a lot...and the pups. But ever since her mother had gone to the other pack, she hadn't made any new friends of her own gender. Maybe it was the high number of males in Storm, or maybe it was because she tended to get along better with boys than she did with girls. Girls were complicated things.

She turned her blue and yellow eyes to Phoenix, watching as he questioned the other female. Dierdre had never had to go through this before, joining a pack like this...it was probably very stressful. After everything was settled the white wolf flashed Nocht a smile. "Well then. Welcome to Storm. I'll show you around. Maybe we can meet up with my mate Pilot, too-I'm sure he'd love to help" She looked to Phoenix, "Is that okay with you, dad?"

[/html]
Welcome aboard! I'm officially accepting you now, but once James and I hammer out a couple details I'll edit in an IC response. Sorry for the wait. Since this thread is dated before the avalanche and the pack meeting, feel free to post in said meeting thread! You can pretend your character helped Phoenix and Icarus dig through the snow in another area (which wasn't played out but assumed).

And here we go:
[html]
Phoenix couldn’t realistically expect this wolf to spend the rest of her life here. Very few wolves did such a thing, except the ones whose lives were cut short, either violently or accidentally. His own mate, though born in the valley, had gone off a total of three times now. He could only hope that she returned a third time as well. Really, he couldn’t’ expect anyone to stay in Storm indefinitely. All he knew was that he himself never intended to leave so long as he could help it. But he couldn’t know what the future would hold for anyone else—not his best friends, not even his children.

Nocht’s answer satisfied the alpha, which Phoenix evidenced by the pleased smile he allowed to his muzzle. Though his predecessor, Gibraltar, tried to establish himself as a paragon of leadership, emotionally distant from the other members of the pack, Phoenix couldn’t do that. He preferred to be close to those he led, as dependent on them for support as they were on his for leadership. He was a father-figure of an extended family, not a cold figure of authority over a random group of wolves. He was about to give Nocht his blessing when Dierdre jumped ahead of him and accepted welcomed her into the pack. Turning to his overzealous daughter he gave her a strange look and said “Hold on, gimme a chance to accept her first,” but opted not to upbraid her further than that.

Returning his attention to the newest member of Storm, Phoenix only nodded. There was no pomp or ceremony other than that simple gesture, but with a shake of the head he welcomed her into his family. “Subordinate’s th’rank we start all new members at,” he stated. “There’re jus’ a couple rules, aside from that you’re free t’ do whatever y’want. First, there’s a clan a’coyotes that live on th’ beach east a’here—stay away from ’em. We got nothin’ against coyotes but th’ ones in that clan are, with few exception, violent wolf-haters who’ll use any little excuse t’ start a war. Second, squirrels are off limits ‘round here. Since my daughter seems so eager, I’ll let her explain why while she shows you ‘round th’ territory.” His part of orientation complete, the alpha gave one last look to both females before wishing Nocht luck and turning to return to his other duties and young children at home.
[/html]

[html]
Welcome to Bleeding Souls!

Hey, welcome to Bleeding Souls. You've just joined the craziest bunch of wolf roleplayers on the vast internet. If you haven't done so already, you should check out the RP Guide for detailed information about our werewolves and other general role playing information.

Now that you're accepted, you need to do two things:

___1. Make your first IC post within five days.

___2. Update the postlog at the very bottom of your profile according to the threads you're in.

You can also start saving up Word of the Day points toward titles and icons and cool stuff. Check out the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for people looking to roleplay. You can post random out of character chat in the OOC Garbage with us, too.

[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

She could feel a growing affection towards Deirdre already as she offered to show her around Storm and introduce her to her mate. She was open and kind and enthusiastic; always good things to have in a friend. She smiled shyly at the female’s offer, waiting for the alpha’s verdict. She wasn’t sure if she could handle anymore stress after this.

Nocht felt a weight lift at Phoenix's words of acceptance and smiled in return. She then grinned at Deirdre, feeling excitement start to bubble in her stomach now that the nasty interview part of everything was over. She'd never met a coyote anyway, she thought when Phoenix warned her about them, but she was suddenly glad she hadn't run into them while she was on the beach. It hadn't occurred to her at the time to be as cautious as she should have been, obviously. At the mention of the squirrels she turned to grin curiously at the white wolf. "Aye, so care to explain about the squirrels?" She asked as Phoenix turned to leave. She had developed a taste for them at home, where they were abundant prey, but she was sure she could wean herself off them.

[/html]