scavenge what you will [p]
[html]

For Finn Fidh! =D Sorry it's kind of short. 300+ words.

#####The cloudy morning threatened rain, but still Vigilante found himself on his hands and knees in one of the strange human buildings in the city, pulling at pieces of the shiny metal he had begun to work with. It interested him to learn how to make things with the metal, but first, he needed to gather as much as he could carry to bring back ot his house in the town of Lunenburg back in the pack lands. One of the bedrooms in the house had been turned into a makeshift workshop for him, after he had removed all of the furnishings and put them in the second unused bedroom. It left a lot of extra room, so he now needed to fill it with his new tools and metal pieces. Soon, he would be teaching himself to make things out of the metal and he could be useful for the pack as more than another being in the head count of Cour des Miracles.

#####Tugging at the large sheet of metal that was buried under debris, he braced himself for the potantial cuts to his fingers, and not long after thinking of that, he felt the burning sensation slice across the entirity of his palm. Lifting his hand to the level of his eyes, he silently cursed the thick line of blood that was forming there. It would certainly hinder any more wirk he planned tol do, and with how fast it was seeping into his fur and continuing to flow, he knew he would need to find some way to tend to it sooner, rather than later. "Marvelous," he muttered, wiping his palm on his leg and ignoring the sharp sting of the fur slipping between the open folds of the wound. As a former vigilante, he had dealt with far bigger wounds than this one, so it only slowed him down for a moment before he went back to digging for pieces of metal, avoiding the sharp edges and ignoring the streaks of blood smearing over the metallic pieces.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 300+
No worries, short is just fine by me!

Finn crept through the hollowed out remains of the sitting, slipping quietly over fallen light posts and clambering through holes left in the walls where the weather had triumphed over concrete. This place was strange and very new. Despite being a well traveled wolf, Finn had never dared to enter a city before. During her long journey from the west, she had skirted even the smallest of towns, her father’s lessons still ringing true in her head. There was something to be feared about these places, perhaps the shades of the creatures who had built them still haunted their creation. Finn had no intent on crossing paths with a phantom, especially knowing how fierce and bloodthirsty they had been from her father’s stories.

She took a deep breath, letting in all the scents of dust and decay, rusted metal and fresh blood… Blood? Finn stiffened, head lowering and eyes peering about suspiciously. Blood could mean a fight, or something wounded, or better yet, something dying. She hadn’t been eating very well, the animals here were too savvy and she didn’t know the territory of the city to hunt well, even at night. Maybe she would find an easy lunch. The gray wolf pushed back the uneasy feeling of investigating by herself. Alastair had refused to come with her, stopping at the very edge of the city with a stony look on his normally blank face. She’d never seen him act like that, even around wolves, and she was in no mood to test his patience.

She ditched him, went it alone, and now she was regretting it. Finn relied on the deer for his hearing and eerie sixth sense. He always knew when someone was coming, always. It was like flying blind right now. Finn took another slow step forward, placing her paw carefully so it wouldn’t disturb anything. One wrong footing, and things could start clanking and clattering like they had a life of their own! Slowly, so very slowly, Finn poked her head above the low wall, one ear flickering wildly. What she saw made her sigh first in disappointment, then relief. Not prey, unless she felt like going cannibal. It was another wolf.

”You’ll want to put some yarrow on that, you know.” Finn said, eyes flicking over the wound. ”Slows the blood flow.”

[/html]
[html]

500+ words.

#####Lifting his head sharply, Vigilante took in the sight of the wolf on all fours, something he did not see as often as he used to before coming to this area. Evidently, judging from the very slight difference in scent, she was a regular wolf, a rare sight as well. At least, the difference in scent was something he guessed was there, never quite sure, but he was usually correct. It was safer to assume that they could not shift if they were not shifted, so as to not offend them by saying something about it. The hand that was not dripping blood was lifted to shield his eyes from the small bits of light peeking through the dark clouds of the morning, the strange light stressing his eyes a bit. It was strange how cloudy light could sometimes be a bother, but it was such today. The air had been cooling with the approaching autumn season, and coupled with the off and on rains that scattered the lands, he was wary of the clouds in the sky, predicting that they may well just give out overhead sooner, rather than later.

#####"I've had worse," he said, tone dismissing the wound on his hand, knowing it to be incredibly truthful. There had been points in his life where he had feared for his life out of the wounds he had acquired from various missions. A cut, no matter how much of his palm it covered, was hardly something to worry about. It was just an inconvenience, regardless, because the sting was noticeable and he had been hoping to gather as much scrap metal and potential tools as he could today. t was unfortunate that he would have to take it easy on his hand for a few days, but it wouldn't present too much of a problem, he was sure. It would just be harder to carry things back home with him later was all he could think of that could be considered problematic. If it came down to a matter of need, he knew he could leave anything he found here until another day, since it had been here for years upon years and it likely wouldn't be moved by the next time he came to this strange human city to bring it back to the pack lands.

#####Realizing that he had spoken without his normal air of formality, the malamute-shepherd man smiled sheepishly, turning to face her while remaining crouched comfortably. He would have offered to shake her hand, but as she didn't have them at the moment, it would have been a little useless to offer his hand in greeting. No matter; it seemed to be a practice that was uncommon in these parts, anyway, so it was something he had not been doing with every meeting as he once would have. "I do apologize, for I seem to have forgotten my manners. I am Vigilante Haskel, and you are?" Hopefully, she would not have anything to say about his name, as it generally led to awkward conversation. It was not something he was willing to change, but it was a predicament when it was brought to light. Likewise, he hoped she would not be thrown off by the way he spoke, as many did not speak in such a manner, it seemed.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 500+
As a point to perhaps bring up later in the conversation, Finn will probably be joining Cour des Miracles eventually, but she doesn’t know anything about it. So maybe Vigilante could give her the idea of joining.

She climbed over the wall, dipping her head by way of greeting. So eager, so careless. If he had been a violent wolf or even one ill-disposed towards company, he could have grabbed her in a second. Those longs arms had to be good for something like that. Currently, they being were put to use tearing sheet metal out from underneath the scattering of debris. She marveled at the dexterity in his extra fingers. It seemed that to just the inclusion of what Finn had heard called “thumbs” opened up a whole range of things you could do!

Catching herself staring, Finn gave a sheepish grin, bowing her head again. She was used to staring, it was unavoidable when your own pelt looked like it had been attacked simultaneously by rabid wolverines and very large moths. But others weren’t so appreciative. She couldn’t help it though. These Luperci were so different, so strange. She didn’t even think they existed till she came face to face with one little over a year ago. It was the strangest thing, hearing about them in stories, pretending to fight them when you were young, and then to see one lope out of the woods, big as you please, and give you a little bow. The world working in funny ways.

Finn quirked her ear as she heard the wolf’s name, noting it down. He probably hadn’t chose it himself, which meant he was given it for a purpose, which meant he might’ve been expected to live up to his name. He didn’t look like much of a vigilante, though, crouched in the dust, scavenging for metal. Finn wasn’t really worried, even if he was. She hadn’t done anything wrong. At least, she hadn’t done anything wrong to anyone who hadn’t done her wrong in the first place. As far as Finn was concerned, the world operated on a quid pro quo basis. Tit for tat. An eye for an eye, or rather, an ear for an ear.

”Eh, manners don’t really count much out here. Its not like I’m someone important.” Finn grinned, the scar on her lip showing off all the sharp canines her mouth held. “I’m Finn Fidh, by the way.” She liked her name, though it too had been chosen for her. Perhaps it was the alliteration, or the short syllables. It sort of rolled off the tongue. Quick and too the point. It was also a male name, though she wouldn’t bring that up in any old conversation.

”What d’ye want with that, anyhow? She asked, gesturing with her head towards the metal. Finn mentally checked off another box. That was another things hands were good for: pointing. ”I mean, if it’s not too rude to ask.” She sat, watching the wolf with great interest. The things Luperci could do were always interesting, if a little strange. Living in houses, wearing clothes, using weapons other than their nature-given teeth and claws, all feel under the category of “Things Finn Cannot Do, And Therefore Should Be Observed.” She was a star pupil at observing, the very head of the class.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the wait! ^^; And I'll have him mention his pack, so do with that as you will? =D 300+ words.

#####That was an interesting sentiment, and it was one he did not agree with on principle alone. Unfortunately, Vigilante knew all too well that there were too many that did not observe any form of being polite as being important, but he supposed that made him different. Too much had been seen in his lifetime, too much had been done, for him to not understand the value of having decent manners. At the very least, she was a lady, and they deserved as much respect as one could give. "Manners are always important, regardless of who you are or whether you feel that you are deserving of them," he offered, ignoring that it might sound cryptic to someone who was not used to the way her frequently spoke. Smiling, the dog mutt should his head slowly in disagreement, shrugging his broad shoulders simultaneously. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Finn. What brings you out to around here?" It was possible that she lived around here and that he had encrouched on her space and was an unwelcome visitor, but he certainly hoped that was not the case.

#####"I'm not actually sure yet," he admitted, green eyes sheepish with the acknowledgement. "One of my pack members told me about the pieces of scrap metal and tools we had in one of the old human buildings, so I've been learning to make things with it. Unfortunately, I have been running low on metal pieces, so I had been planning to gather some today. . . You just happened to find me after my hand slipped against a sharp edge." And thus, they had come full circle, reaching the point in time when she had entered the picture. There was nothing in particular that he was planning to make with these pieces of metal, but he was still very intrigued by the idea of building things with it, so he was hoping to find more large pieces, smaller pieces, and possibly ones of varying thickness. Perhaps he would even be able to find some of different kinds of metal. He knew that there were different types, but he had only been working with the rusted pieces from the stables, and there was not much variation with those pieces.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 300+
No worries! I might be a bit slow too. I’m not supposed to be on this computer, but I’m a ninja, so I don’t think I’ll get caught. XD

Finn raised an eyebrow as Vigilante politely disagreed in his verbose way. ”Hah, if only everyone believed such a thing. I’ll bet there’d be a lot less fighting, on the whole, if they did.” Though Finn did not expect others to treat her with such regard, it was a pleasant change from the norm. She bowed low in response, adding, ”And it’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well.” That said, she sat, looking around at the tumbled landscape.

”I’ve been settled in the forest nearby for a week or so, and simply decided to wander this way. I’ve never been in a city, and I can’t say I like it very much. Something about all this rubble and ruin gives me the willies.” She’d heard of humans, but their legends were more vague and obtuse than most. They’d been around a long time ago, built places like this, and then died off. That, Finn knew. What they had looked like or did besides create huge structures from stone and glass was less obvious. Her father had said that once, wolves had been dominated by these creatures. It was ridiculous! As if wolves would submit to that. It actually cracked Finn up to think of such a ludicrous idea.

”You a pack wolf, then? And what pack would this be, that is so industrious and expansive-minded?” Finn, like any wolf that had been tossed out of a pack before, was always a little suspicious of large groupings of wolves. But, as a newcomer it did her well to figure out who owned what land and what they were like, so as to avoid stepping on somebody’s toes and causing a fuss. She already knew about the Inferni, and kept far away from any land that might possible encroach on their region on the basis of the rumours alone. Finn was a fighter, to be sure, but she wasn’t stupid. She’d have to be mad to start a fight with a whole pack of wolf killers.

[/html]
[html]

ohsnap, a ninja? :o 500+ words.

#####Vigilante was pleased that she was not going to argue his point, and that she seemed to like that he thought that way. It was a welcome change from those that were not as polite as he always tried to be, or those that were too stubborn to realize that others might have a differing viewpoint than they did. Thus far, he had not gotten into any argumenets in the area, which was a considerably good thing. He was able to appreciate that most seemed to be relatively open-minded in the area, which contrasted so much with the pack he had been born into. The pack he now lived in was much better in comparison, by far, with the exception of how excluded he felt. It was not that he did not feel welcome, but he felt as though he was on a different level, both in experience and personal views, than many of his pack mates.

#####Nodding, he took a moment to survey the area, though he knew he was inclined to agree with her. "When I first came to this area, I found the human things completely bizarre. Where I come from, we did not know much of the humans. Some of the weapons we used, if we used any, were like the ones they did, but the human things and crumbling cities surprised me as well. They were a little creepy at first, but it is easy to acclimate yourself to the unfamiliarity." He supposed it was easier for him, since he was walking on two legs as opposed to four, but it had still been dificult for him to grow comfortable with the human things in the area. Now, he even found himself living in a human house, sleeping in a human bed, and keeping a horse in a way similar to how the humans had once done. Vigilante did not feel that he owned his horse, but it was still unnatural for a regular dog or wolf to keep one, regardless of what he used the horse for. Vigilante kept his for companionship.

#####Describing Cour des Miracles would take a moment, he knew. It was a pack that was different from most that he knew. The members and the politics within the pack were different than any he was used to. "The pack I live in is called Cour des Miracles, which I believe is french for something. The leader of the pack is Jacquez, our King. It's sort of a grouping of misfits, those that don't quite belong in the other packs. I have been there for four, possibly even five, months now, since I came to the area. It was a welcome change from the pack I was born in," he admitted, though he did not plan to explain further. There was too much to his old pack, and nothing he was interested in sharing with anyone, truthfully. "Where you interested in finding a pack, then?" he inquired, curious to know if he may have helped her in her decision or potential choice. Expansion of the pack would always be a good thing, both through new members joining and a second generation of misfits.

[/html]
[html]

Yes indeedy! By day, I am a highschooler, by night a deadly ninja. I might be lurking in your house right now… You never know. Big Grin

The she-wolf relaxed a little more amongst the rubble. So it wasn’t just her. Others had found this place unnatural once, and had become accustomed to it. Finn knew she could do the same. If anything, she was a resourceful and flexible young wolf, able to bend and change depending on which way the wind blew her. She’d been able to tolerate her own family, after all, which had been a balancing act worthy of a standing ovation. A young Finn had quickly learned to gauge and act upon her brothers’ and father’s moods. And they had been as changing and tempestuous as the sea.

”Looking at it, it just seems so alien.” Finn stated, gesturing with her head towards the ruins of a car. To her, it looked like a pile of junk. To the humans, it must have been something else entirely. She couldn’t for the life of her imagine what, though. The tall buildings that had once stood proudly along a boulevard were now slumped shapes on the horizon, sad and useless. The street lamps were bent crooked by wind and rain and wear, and the glass from the light bulbs had long since disintegrated. The harbor, distantly visible from where Finn stood, was cold and grey looking, but very still and calm.

”Yes, well, sort of. I’m tired of aimless wandering, and you had me at the word misfit. And King. I’ve been told stories about Kings, and it would amuse me greatly to be the vassal of one. I just hope I have enough knowledge to be put to good use. All I know is how to fight and tell stories and treat wounds. But paws are rather outdated now, aren’t they? Hands would be much easier.” Finn’s gaze glanced to Vigilante’s thumbs, covetous and at the same time self-mocking. Her single ear flickered again at the other wolf’s words.

”I understand what you mean,” She sighed, looking back out toward the bay, ”My family wasn’t so great either. It’s probably a blessing that I left early.” Finn smiled, no small amount of bitterness in the expression, the dredged up memories raising all their ugly little heads. Not for the first time that day, she wondered what had become of Brom, Aegnus and Cuhlain. Had they survived the last winter, despite all the promised harshness? Did she even care? Perhaps about Brom, but Finn’s other brother and father were spared such concern.

”I think I’d fit in,” She said, breaking the silence, ”A misfit such as myself would not stand out too much amongst other misfits. And it would be a nice change to not stand out. I tend to get lot’s of double takes, and I don’t think it’s due to my astounding beauty.” Finn concluded dryly. She’d long accepted the fact that she was not much of a looker. Time and fighting had made sure of that. Finn just hoped that she’d stick around long enough to get to know someone who didn’t really care about looks. It was cliche and sounded a little ridiculous, but she had a great personality.

[/html]
[html]

Soooo sorry for the wait, dear ninja friend! D= 500+ words.

#####Nodding silently, he finally turned away from the scrap metal completely, grateful for the distraction from his scavenging. He sat cross-legged now, rather than crouching in the manner he had been doing before, and it was far more comfortable, despite the strange feeling of the floor of the room. Despite the fact that he now lived in an old human house, it was still very strange to feel something other than earth beneath his feet. His house had dark wooden floors, but this floor was different, a solid gray material that was cool to the touch. If he had known the name, he would have associated it with the word "cement," but he had never heard the word before. Humans were so strange, just as their contraptions and places were incredibly different for him to see. He could understand why Finn might seem put off by the remains of the old human society, just as he had been.

#####Jacquez would surely never turn her away, especially if she were offering such services. When he had arrived, the mutt had not given many details about what he could do, only that he was searching for somewhere to begin a normal life. The King had been more than accepting of him, so surely he would be glad to take Finn under his wing. "I'm certain that Jacquez would love to have you in the pack, particularly if you have such skills. Paws are just as good as hands, depending on what they are being used for. Some choose to use only their shifted form, in the case of the King, but most flit between forms. I frequent both," he added, personalizing the situation in regards to those who chose to use both forms interchangably. Recently, he had been using his shifted form more often due to its handiness, though he still preferred to sleep in his more natural dog form.

#####Family was a delicate subject for him, so Vigilante did not particularly feel interested in discussing further into the idea. Both had come from less-than-amazing families, but it seemed as though neither wanted to divulge more information. This was something he could easily appreciate; secrets were not the best things in the world, but they were necessary in some cases. Instead, he chose to focus on her comment regarding her beauty. He spent a moment studying her quietly, giving her time to speak if she chose. She had a great number of scars, as well as a missing ear, but he did not find that to be unattractive - merely the appearance of someone who lived their life without regards for the superficial. It may not have been what she thought of herself, but he thought it fitting. "On the contrary," he countered with a smile, tongue lolling as it always did when he smiled so widely, "I find you very beautiful, in an intriguing way." He hoped it would not offend her (though he could not see how it possibly could), but what he said was genuine, regardless of whether she happened to choose to believe a perfect stranger or not.

[/html]
[html]

You have brought shame upon your house for your tardiness... Just kidding! I don't mind waiting at all, I'm an anxious writer, so I always have posts in as soon as I can. I'll probably burn out eventually and slow down. XD D'aww, that was so nice of Vigi to complement Finn. Now he'll have a friend for life. Wink

Finn shrugged uncomfortably at Vigilante’s words. ”I couldn’t choose. Even if I wanted to, I can’t shift.” That was the largest hurdle for Finn. The packs here were so modern. Using tools and weapons required hands, which Finn did not have. She knew that, soon enough, she’d need to move with the times, to man up and find a way to take in the virus. Still, the thought left her feeling cold. She could almost hear her father, his deep voice rumbling like crack boulders as he laid out the laws his daughter was to follow. “Never, ever become a Luperci.” He had said, and here she was, planning to do just that.

If her brothers were here now, had witnessed her chatting so nonchalantly with one of the two-legged ones… Aegnus would have given her a beating to be sure, and Brom would have shaken his head solemnly and stated that he was very disappointed in her. Finn drew in a breath, trying to dispel the phantoms that danced before her eyes. They weren’t here, they weren’t here. She was alone in her head and that as the end of it. Ghosts didn’t exist. The skeletons in her closet, however, felt very real indeed.

Vigilante’s next words cut through the growing fog in her mind and took her by surprise. Finn nearly toppled off the wall. If wolves could blush, she would have gone beet red. It was out the blue, and uncommon, but Finn didn’t really mind. ”Thank you.” She said sincerely, looking across at Vigilante and mimicking his tongue-lolling grin. She hoped that if she really got the nerve up and joined Cour des Miracles, she’d see Vigilante there. It would be quite nice to have a vaguely familiar face around in a sea of strangers. Finn looked over at the metal sheets again, still slightly embarrassed and inwardly pleased by his statement.

”Will you be able to make swords eventually?” Finn loved swords as much as the sight of their cold, shining blades sent shivers down her spine. On her travels she’d seen some beautiful, old swords, spared from the disaster by their cases or their hiding places. If she had hands, she would have kept some. They were such perfect instruments for killing, sharper than any claw or fang, stronger than bone. To Finn, that made them powerful beyond belief. She doubted she would every actually want or have to wield one. The she-wolf fought with what nature had given her, and nothing else.

”So, from which direction did you come from, Vigilante? Before you arrived in Nova Scotia?” Finn asked, trying to avoid the question of what pack he had once hailed from. She knew very little about any of the packs she had not tried to join herself, and remembered few of the latter’s names to boot. They had passed through her life like leaves thrown about in a gale; captivating her attention for a while, fascinating her, and then blowing away, leaving her behind. If a pack had actually managed to keep Finn there for more than a couple months, she wouldn’t have been standing here in these ruins, talking to the wolf with the odd name. Perhaps it was for the best that she had remained a loner so long.

[/html]
[html]

My poor house, it is shamed! D= And yay, friends! ^^ We'll need to have another thread with them all updated and stuff, now that she's in CdM and can shift. :o 500+ words.

#####So it had been as he expected, though that did not mean it was necessarily a good thing. Vigilante was thankful for the ability to shift, and he could not imagine what it would be like to not have the option. He supposed that it would not seem strange, if he had never been able to shift. "There are ways to gain the ability, if it were something you were interested in. However, there are plenty who cannot shift, and they get along just fine." As he had just met Finn, he did not know if shifting was something she was actually interested in being able to do. The explanation was also not necessarily an offer, as he had never made anyone into something like him, and he did not know the actual process. Of course, he knew the ways everyone knew--the exchange of bodily fluids or sharing an intimate moment--but he was not comfortable with performing it himself on someone he did not know well.

#####Pleased that he could surprise her and make her smile as she was now, Vigilante said warmly, "You are welcome. It is very true." And indeed, Vigilante believed it to be completely true. She obviously had a history, with her mention of her family and the many scars, and histories were interesting. Beautiful, in fact. Though some considered scars to be flaws upon the skin, he rather enjoyed looking at them and then knowing what they represented. Rarely had he ever found someone with scars without a story to tell. However, even without the scars, the dog knew that she would be a very beautiful wolf. The scars accented the natural beauty she had been given, most certainly.

#####Truthfully, he had not thought very much on the subject of what he would eventually be capable of making, though it was an intriguing idea. It would not be hard to make the shape of the blade, surely, but sharpening it would have to be done efficiently, and then determinely whether it was able to be used properly. It was an idea, and one he could very well explore later on, beginning with making small daggers and such. The one he had brought with him from home could be used to model anything he made after, and then he could work from there and create swords. "I had not thought of that yet, but I'm sure I could. Perhaps if I do, I could show them to you sometime," he suggested. He did hope that he would see her again, and intended to find her again later, even if she did not join Cour des Miracles, though he hoped she would.

#####He appreciated that she did not ask further about his pack, since it was not a subject he enjoyed speaking of. "My pack was rather large, some forty or fifty individuals. Most of us were dogs, like myself. It's located near Alaska, but it's in western Canada," he added, hoping that would be enough information to give her an idea of where he came from. "What about you, Finn? I have not explored much of the world; I have only been to the areas surrounding my old pack, and then the travel here." He did wish that he had more experience with different locations of the world, but unfortunately, he did not.

[/html]
[html]

Yes we do, especially since Finn's ultra-awesome plot is underway. Do you want to start wrapping this thread up? I'm good for more, but the sooner this one ends, the sooner we can start one in CdM.

Aye, I’ve heard them.” Finn said, quirking her ear. She didn’t know if she’d be able to go through with it, even if she made up her mind! The idea made her skin crawl again, and she distracted herself by staring out at the waters in the bay. The conflict was taking up more and more of her time, occupying the space her usual night-time brooding took up. She’d have to make a decision soon. If she decided to stay a normal wolf, then she’d probably leave Nova Scotia and search out more Nonissi. Perhaps she could live a normal life then.

If not, though… She’d most likely stay, cause a little hell and then settle down with a mate. She wanted a mate. Of all the things she had craved, coveted and envied over her long three years, it was a mate. Someone to understand how her screwed up life still haunted her, to soothe her fears with a couple kind words. She wanted someone next to her, but knowing all the issues that still roiled in her brain, she doubted that finding someone to go steady with would be a long time in coming.

And even if she did find Mr. (Ms?) Right, who said she’d be a good mother? Finn had a very low opinion of her maternal instincts. After all, she had been raised as a male, surrounded by a bunch of other males. She didn’t have a lick of sense when it came to pups. She liked them, for sure, and wished for her own, but with that wish came the deep fear that she would screw everything up like Cuhlain and create a miniature of herself. The last thing Finn wanted to do was created an equally messed up little clone.

”I’d love to see!” Finn said, straightening on her perch and giving Vigilante a bright, beaming smile. She liked Vigilante, and found his company enjoyable. Maybe, maybe once things settled down, and if, if she joined Cour des Miracles, she’d try to get to know him even more. She was curious about his past and his name, but could tell it was a tender topic. It was only fair that she didn’t bring it up now. He had avoided doing the same and for that, Finn was grateful. She didn’t feel like opening that particular can of worms right now, thank you very much.

She perked up a bit at Vigilante’s next words, her grin banishing the thoughts that tumbled through her head once again. ”I’m from the west as well, though not so far north. My family lived in the Rocky Mountains. There was very few of us, compared to your pack. Was just me and my dad and my brothers.” The thought that Vigilante had come from a similar direction cheered Finn greatly. She wasn’t sure why, but it was nice to know that someone else had trekked all that way and ended up I exactly the same place.

"You got a family, back in Cour des Miracles, I mean?" Finn inquired innocently, watching Vigilante out of the corner of her eye, it wasn't very smooth, but it would be just her luck for the canine to be a happily married guy with a couple kids on the way. Finn's luck was either nonexistent, or dealt in the negatives. It could practically be counted upon.

[/html]
[html]

Wrapping up in a few posts sounds good to me. 500+ words.

#####That was a relatively big relief, as Vigilante had not been particularly interested in explaining the different ways that one could become a luperci. It would have been a very awkward turn to their pleasant conversation, especially because he was far too polite to speak of the ways in such a light, offhand manner. The preferred method was probably to have sex with a luperci, and he did not want to have to speak so lightly of the idea. Obviously, Finn knew her way around a fight, so she could easily contract the virus otherwise. There was no need to go into detail about the other aleternative. Sex was a very intimate subject, of course, and though he had partook of the action in his life, he did not feel it was something that should be done for no reason, or just to gain the ability to shift. To know that Finn had heard of the options, Vigilante was glad. She was knowledgable, evidently.

#####Her enthusiasm was contagious, and in response, the dog mutt grinned widely. He had to admit that it was nice to know that others might be interested in something he was doing or going to do. From the way she spoke, it either meant that she was seriously considering joining the pack he had told her about, or she was at least interested in meeting with him again. That was good; he was interested in seeing her again, too. "I would love to show you when I finish, if I am able. Where might I find you, in that case?" It was his way of asking whether or not she had other ideas of where she might end up, if it was not his pack. Unfortunately, he knew very little about the other packs in the area. He was not pleased with that. It seemed as though he might need to begin doing more serious research on the other packs in the area. He would need to be more social with those in other packs, since he had already met a few of them in passing.

#####He did not know much about the southern areas, considering he had worked solely in the northern area of Canada and Alaska. Fortunately, his profession had not been pushed further south, but it did mean that he was unable to know much concerning the other areas. He was, however, familiar with the mountains. "What was it like, to be in a small pack? If you do ont mind me asking, of course," he added. Thus far, they had avoided the subject of anything serious concerning their families and packs, which he very much appreciated. Vigilante did not know if asking about that would be asking too much, but he was genuinely curious. He had considered Cour des Miracles to be a very small pack upon his arrival. What would it be like to live in a pack of only a few canines? The idea was completely bizarre to him.

#####Finn's next question made him pause, hitting home at the very thing he wanted most. No, he did not have a family back in his pack, or anywhere, for that matter. He wanted one so desperately, though; it was the very reason he had come to the area. All he had wanted, and all that he still wanted, was to have a mate and eventually children, and to have what he perceived as a normal life. Someday, he hoped that he would be able to find someone to settle down with, but it seemed like a dim prospect thus far. "No, I'm afraid I do not," he admitted. "I would like one someday, though. Do you have one, or are you travelling alone?" He knew that there were those lone wolves that travelled with their small families, although Finn did not seem like she was one of those few. He found her nice, intriguing, and pretty, but nothing she had said previously would possibly indicate that she was travelling with her family or mate or anything similar.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 600+
True facts. Sorry if my post is a bit incoherent. It's ben written over a couple days and I'm watching Russell Brandt right now. XP

”Well… Probably Cour des Miracles. If not there, I’ll likely be haunting the Etheral Eclipse.” Finn shrugged. It was quite possible that the king might deem her a rabble rouser and refuse her entrance, but from the way Vigilante described the pack it seemed unlikely. Finn felt most at home in the forests, though. There was shelter there, not the wide, open sky she had grown up under. She had learned to detest the clouds and the snow and rain they brought. As well, Finn could not stand any water deeper than a pond. The thought of those dark depths made her tremble in (quite rational) fear.

So it was the forests. The leafy, beautiful, quiet forests where Finn could slip through the underbrush like an unheeded shadow. There was plenty of food in the forests, and occasional streams as well. A paradise, as far as she was concerned. And Alastair didn’t mind it to, there were plenty of trees for him to scratch his itches on, and rarely any deer. They had been living in the forest since they had first stumbled upon it. Finn had only come out to Halifax on a day trip, part of her effort to map the world around her.

”I don’t really know about the other packs, but I know Inferni is off limits to me, based upon my bloodline.” The gray wolf let out a little amused snort at her own words. Fancy that, coyotes gathering themselves together into a large, cohesive group and excluding the wolves! They must have some fine warriors over there. Finn briefly entertained the thought of deliberately invading the territory, just to get into a fight. The idea was quickly binned, though, she didn’t want to get mobbed by coyotes. As small as they were, they could be just as good, or even better than herself, at fighting.

”It’s… Not exactly great.” Finn admitted, shrugging again, ”But that just might be my family in particular. My dad was a bit touched in the head. A complete xenophobe. I didn’t even see another wolf that wasn’t I wasn’t related to by blood till I was at least a year old.” By then, she’d already left home. The distant and imposing mountains had been traded in for the rolling foothills, and then the plains. The first wolf she had seen besides family had also happened to be a Luperci. The first wolf she actually talked to was later, weeks later.

”We had some family in the mountains around us, mostly my father’s sisters and their children. But usually it was just us four.” It was quite boring on the Fidh Family’s mountain. All snow and rock and ice. The occasional plateau, with a smattering of a few frigid, gray lakes. It was a wonder they managed to survive as long as they did. It was also no wonder that they sparred so often. It kept the blood flowing and their toes from losing feeling and falling off.

She smiled as Vigilante shot the question back her way. ”No, no family. I travel alone. Well… Mostly alone.” She grinned, wondering what the other wolf would think of Alastair. ”I have a pet deer that accompanies me.” She was beginning to see how very strange it was for a wolf to travel with prey, but still it did not bother her. She had never been raised on deer, they were rare in the upper reaches of the mountains, and she couldn’t catch one all by herself, so she viewed Alastair as one might view an eagle, or some other large bird. Inedible, but also slightly dangerous.

[/html]
[html]

It was good. <3 1000+ words.

#####The grin could not be kept from his face at the mention of his pack being where he could likely find her. Though he expected it was possible she had already scouted that area, or she might have even been willing to join the first pack she found interesting, Vigilante was pleased with the idea that he may have had a part in her reasoning for considering joining, as he had told her about the pack and Jacquez. He was sure that Finn would fit in well with the pack of misfits, and he could not help but feel a bit happy at the prospect of seeing her again within the pack lands, especially because she seemed genuinely interested in what he did with metal and possibly seeing him again. "I look forward to seeing you there," the mutt said to accompany his present smile. He was even contributing to the pack's growth; that was a nice feeling.

#####Inferni was a foreign name to him, but he could easily assume it was another pack in the area by what she said, and apparently very selective. This intrigued him, as he shamefully knew very little of the packs surrounding the area, truthfully. As someone with his training, he should know as much as possible about the other packs. "Why is Inferni not an option for you? Unfortunately, I am not well-versed in most of the packs in this area, but the seclusion based on bloodlines is very intriguing," he admitted, unhappy with how little he actually knew. Thus far, he had not been seeking to know of the other packs, but he supposed it was something he would need to do at some point. Vigilante could never be happy not knowing, the unease of such a situation not appealling to him. Things like this, he should already know.

#####They were beginning to touch the subject of family once more, something it seemed that neither of them particularly wanted to do. Instead of questioning why she might have been with only her father and the other two members of their family, Vigilante nodded solemnly. Despite being from such a large pack, he too knew how it felt to only see those he was related to for the first year of his life. The misguided Elders of his pack had not wanted anyone to turn him or his sister biased, so they had been kept in a cave alone, miles away from the rest of the pack but watched so closely that they had to accept their fate, no matter how curious they were about the world around them. In times of loneliness, he had often thought of how different his life would have been if he and Martyr had left that cave in the middle of the night before everything had been set in place. His nieces and nephew would not have been born when they were, surely, but his sister would still be beside him. Of everyone he had left behind or killed, he missed her the most, if he even missed any of the others. It was not likely that he did--far too many grudges.

#####"My sister and I were raised away from most of the pack, kept in a small cave until our first birthday. Our parents were allowed to see us, as well as the Elders of my pack, but other than that, it was complete seclusion. I wish it had been different." No truer words had been spoken by him lately, it seemed. He tried to live without regrets, and he tried to pretend he was not pained by the faces of those he had taken. His beliefs had been firm then, and in a way, he still felt that they were correct, but he did not feel the need to serve justice any longer. It was not his place in the world anymore. The job was better left to those who did not have a single doubt about what they did, such as the masked coyote, Onus, who was committed to the job.

#####A pet. . . Deer? That was a strange thought, considering how common deer were as prey to wolves and luperci alike, though he supposed it was not very far from what those in his pack kept, however foreign the idea had been to him initially. Thinking of the blood bay stallion he kept as his own, the man smiled fondly at the memory of how insistant the horse had been when he had gone to the stables. There had been no chance of him leaving the horse there alone, of course. "That is very coincidental. I think you'll fit into my pack very well, then, as most of us keep horses. I have one, though he's more of a companion. I do not ride him like the others ride theirs, and he does not stay in the stables, but near my house. How did you come across this deer?"

#####What he wanted to ask was why she had not eaten the deer, but he felt that would be rude, and the question could easily be turned back on him, although horses were not common as prey around here. He had eaten many deer in his life, of course. It was a part of nature. Horses were something he had not been introduced to back home, so while they had been almost frightening when he came here, he had not ever considered eating any of them, especially his wonderful beast in the makeshift stable behind his house. It was almost embarassing, how awkward it seemed to keep Nádherné in an empty shed with the door removed, a half-hearted attempt at a fence surrounding it. It was no matter, though, as the horse did not seem to have any interest in leaving. Their bond was strange, but he could appreciate it. Life in his house would have been dreadfully boring, as he lived with no others, if he did not know that the horse was right outside.

[/html]
[html]

Finally! XP
Yeah, so this is probably my last post.

”They’re coyotes. Any wolf who tries to get in the their is either chased off or killed. I passed by their borders not too long ago, they’ve got wolf skulls set on posts.” Finn shuddered, remembering the grisly decorations. Admitted, she wasn’t exactly buddy-buddy with coyotes, but she wasn’t openly hostile to them either. Until someone gave her a reason to hate them, Finn usually strayed towards the friendly side. There had been a scattering of the smaller canines in the region where Finn lived. They hadn’t troubled the pack, but more often than not Aegnus and Cuhlain would return, bloodied and triumphant, telling tales of the slaughter they had wreaked.

Back then, Finn had hated the scent of blood. Sometimes she still did. Sometimes that coppery, salty smell made her eyes water and her throat choke up with nausea. She was a strange wolf, she loved to fight but hated the blood that came with the fighting. Finn would rather that a person’s life-fluid stayed inside their skin, as opposed to outside. Perhaps it would better if no one could be hurt at all, but Finn was not that naive. She knew that fighting was a part of life, for herself and for others, a part of her nature. She wouldn’t have it any other way, but she still had her doubts.

Finn watched Vigilante as he spoke about his past. She couldn’t help but noticed his vaguely pained expression and mentally slapped herself for being so thoughtless. ”Perhaps it is best if we steer ourselves away from the past. It does not seem to be a pleasant topic for either of us.” The she-wolf said. She wouldn’t go into depth about her family here, not even with a stranger as friendly as Vigilante. Perhaps if they became better friends they would share stories, but until then she would keep silent. A good fraction of her didn’t want to share, she wanted to keep all the misery she felt pent up in her heart so that others would not feel pity for her or look at her with disgust.

”Completely by accident. We ran into each other one rainy day and ended up sticking together.” The grey wolf had become so accustomed to the deer by now that it felt odd not to have him lurking nearby. It was nice to know that he would possibly be accepted in the pack. Perhaps he would get along with the horses and join the herd. After all, what was a deer but a horned horse? Finn smiled at the thought and stood. ”Well, I suppose I should go and enjoy my last few days as a lone wolf. Thank you, Vigilante, for giving me some direction. If I hadn’t met you I would probably be wandering around the territories for a good couple months before a I found a place to stay!” She flashed her customary smile again, bowed her head respectfully, and darted away into the ruins. Alastair would be wondering where she got to, and she’d have to tell him the great news.

[/html]
[html]

=D We'll need another thread with them eventually. I like Finn. <3 500+ words.

#####Vigilante accepted the information about Inferni with a silent nod, considering the idea. Coyotes were a species he was not particularly familiar with, having only met a select few in his life's time. They were not frequent visitors in northen lands, particularly the ever snow-covered lands he had come from. Dogs and wolves were more of what he was able to relate to, as his pack had been predominantly dogs and wolves were, obviously, a commonplace creature around the world. The tension between wolves and coyotes, which he assumed to exist by Finn's explanation, was something he had not been privy to prior to this conversation. It was useful information, regardless of whether or not he ever came close to Inferni's skull-lined borders. Along with learning to fight and kill, he had also learned to be smart enough not to put himself in a dangerous situation intentionally for no reason, and while Finn had not said anything about dogs in particular, he found it was far safer to assume that he was not welcome, either, in the lands of wolf-hating coyotes.

#####Dropping of the subject of family was perfectly fine with him, as he did not wish to discuss it much further. Unfortunately, he knew that he would have continued speaking about it, despite his best interests, if she had not taken the initiative to say something. This was the most information he had divulged about his family since arriving in the area. Even his conversation with Onus had not been family-orientated, but rather, a discussion of the Elders of his old pack. His opinion of them was not especially high, and thus, he did not mind discussing those particular dogs with contempt. His family and past actions, however, were not a subject he enjoyed discussing. It was just difficult for him to suppress the urge to tell someone those things; by keeping them a secret for so long, he felt that he was not only being dishonest with his pack and his friend and acquaintances, but also with himself, as he needed to acknowledge that those things happened. They could not be changed, regardless of his silent memories. However, today was not the day for such things. He had no interest in continuing that topic of conversation.

#####Smiling, Vigilante nodded to her with a small chuckle. He was glad that she seemed pleased with the direction he had helped to give her. "I look forward to seeing you there," he said, then watched her exit quickly. His gaze travelled to the crusted cut that sliced across the palm of his hand, a flash of remembrance hitting him as he realized that he had completely forgotten about the small injury during his conversation with the scarred female. The day was still young, and he saw no problem with continuing his tasks from before the welcome interruption. Vigilante began sifting through the pieces of scrap metal with interest, trying to decide what pieces he would like to take home with him to his house in the old human town within the pack's territory, the possibilities of what he could make running through his mind. Perhaps he could make something for Ayita and the puppies, though he was uncertain as to what he would make.

[/html]