rambling years of lousy luck.
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_top.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:200px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Hooray, a Rurik! Pirata Grotto because it's oh-so-appropriate. X3

Rurik was eager to explore these new lands, and he had left his children back in the city with strict instructions not to wander too far and stay together. They were almost a year old, and they were quite capable of taking care of each other, so he did not feel bad about leaving them in each other's care. Smiling as he padded forward, the monochrome wolf peered around, marveling at how different and similar these territories were. He could smell the faint scent of his kin everywhere, but thus far he had seen no sight of anyone! He wondered if this was the right place, or maybe everyone had perished in the fire. Frowning, the sable-haired man decided to stick to the coast, figuring on exploring the perimeter of these lands before delving too deeply into the territory's center; it would be easier that way.

The Russian moved in the same meandering fashion he always had, a lack of purpose in his step and an utter tendency to wander in his head. Rurik had not settled in one place for too long his entire life, it seemed. He'd spent his youth in Russia, growing up in Arkangel'sk with the Sobirat'sya greater clan and the Russo family even closer than that. There was the journey to England that had brought him to Bleeding Souls shores the first time with Kiska and the others, those seven pirates that had scattered to the wind long ago. He frowned. He did not often think of Syemv, but now that he was here, a breath away from the burned Syemv territories... it was hard not to.

Up ahead, he could see a submerged cave, and the wanderlust and inability to resist adventure took hold of Rurik. Getting in required getting wet, though Rurik carried nothing that would mind getting wet. He was not drunk so often anymore, but there was still a flask in his back pocket, and he pried it from its resting spot to make sure its cap was quite secure. No use in trading his whiskey for salt water. That necessity safe, the Russian unceremoniously dove into the water, slipping easily into the cool waves. He surfaced an instant later in an underwater cave of some sort, paddling for a moment before vaulting up onto to ledge, peering around in wonder at the strange new world he'd just discovered.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 400+
I at first debated whether to pick up another thread, and then I realized Rurik is a PIRATE! So here I am. Big Grin

She’d been wandering again. Not watching were her feet were going, and now Finn was inescapably lost. She didn’t know these lands, didn’t know the names they had been bestowed by the more permanent residents. She’d skirted the city, treading on the very edge where grass turned to sidewalk and asphalt. What had drawn her onwards was the sea. She had come from a palce where the mountains rose so high that they tore at the clouds, or dove so low that deep lakes rippled at their feet, but Finn had never seen the sea. The vast expanse of water that spread out beyond the shoreline was beautiful and terribly frightening.

She had heard of Luperci who took to the sea, sailing around in big, wooden things called boats. The very thought of such activities made Finn shudder with nausea. All those waves and salty water… The wolf shook her head at the folly, and continued on her way. As was customary, Alastair drifted about as she walked, sometimes near, sometimes far, sometimes not visible at all. He had his own business, whatever that was, and Finn didn’t expect him to be permanently glued to her side. She wasn’t his master nor were they even the best of friends. They often grew frustrated with each other when one failed to understand the lexicon of gestures, head bobs and wordless growls. They had just had such an episode, and Alastair had trotted off in a huff.

After a time, Finn came upon the mouth of a large cave. She liked the look of the water, the bright blue was quite enticing, and felt tempted to jump in. The day wasn’t exactly hot, the whole area had been plagued by fall rainstorms for the last couple days, and mostly everything, including Finn, was damp and chilled. But it wasn’t like she was going to get any colder, right? Holding her breath, Finn took a running leap into the water outside the grotto, and promptly lost her supply of air when she realized just how cold the Atlantic Ocean could be. She yelped silently, or tried to, instead taking in a mouthful of salty water.

Disorientated and starting to panic, she paddled for the entrance to the grotto, and broke through the surface choking and gasping like some new kind of furred fish. She heaved herself on to the bank and lay there a moment, spitting out the grit that had been stirred up by her flailing legs. The edge of her back paw had been cut on a sharp rock, and the blood dripped off slowly, running into the blue water before disappearing. Finn sighed heavily, she could feel herself starting to harbour a real dislike of the ocean.

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_top.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:200px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Thanks for replying! XD

The silver wolf peered around eagerly at his surroundings. It was relatively dark in here, but a few holes in the roof allowed fresh sunlight to filter in, and the hole that led out to shore also allowed a fair amount of sunlight in, though half of it was merely turquoise water. He smiled, feeling rather comfortable here—certainly Rurik was at home anywhere on the beach, and he especially loved these northern places for their winters. It remided him of home, the Russian snow that never seemed to melt.

He was surprised to find a few artifacts surrounding him; most importantly, there seemed to be a few gold coins scattered here and there among the rocks, and he picked one up, turning it over in his hand to find one half of it was rubbed smooth by years of the ocean, the other half barely containing what had been a deep impression of a man's face. Intrigued, the wolf stuck it in his jeans pocket, intent on inspecting his surroundings further, when a great commotion behind him caught his attention. Shocked, the werewolf turned, his bright blue eyes watching as a midnight-colored wolf drew herself out of the water, collapsing on the bank to collect herself.

Rushing over, the big wolf kneeled next to her, his elbows propped on his knees. His sable-dipped ears were pricked forward in interest, worry showing on his face. "Are you okay?" he asked, concern in his voice. She didn't seem to be a very good swimmer; Rurik was accustomed to the water and the ocean, and he rather enjoyed a good swim. Still, he understood disliking the water; a great many creatures were not fond of it, taking to it only when absolutely necessary.

He looked over the female, noting her scarred and grizzled appearance with interest. Creatures such as these usually had great stories to tell, and Rurik himself bore a few scars, most notably the slash across his chest, caused by one Kiska Ozero when he'd snuck up on her unexpectedly on a dark street in Arkangel'sk. A warm smile crossed the Optime's face, quite sweet and genuinely seeming happy he had someone to accompany him now. Maybe, just maybe, she knew if there were wolves here from the old world? "I'm Rurik Russo," he said, introducing himself to the soggy woman. He was still just as damp himself, having made the same underwater trek as the she-wolf.

[/html]
[html]

No problem. I cannot say no to pirates, it goes against every creed I have and possibly my genetic makeup. XD

Finn looked up, surprised to see another wolf here. His long hair was slowly dripping too, and Finn’s quick mind seized on that. ”How can you stand that?” She asked, eyes wide with amazement. He seemed to have entered the grotto in the same underwater manner as Finn, but considering he didn’t have any cut feet or sand in his fur he must have done it a lot more gracefully. Finn got to her feet, swaying slightly to catch her balance. That might have been her problem; missing toes meant less of a surface to tread the water with. She shook her head to dislodging the water from her ears and blinked at the wolf as he introduced himself.

”Finn. My name is Finn Fidh.” She said, still a bit muddled. Finn glanced over at the grotto entrance again, then back to Rurik. ”Seriously, the water is freezing!” She could feel the chill settling into her already thin coat, and shivered a little. The cave itself was warmer than outside, sheltered from any errant winds. Finn settled back onto her hind haunches, putting very little weight on the cut foot. It wasn’t a deep scratch, but it was starting to sting because of the salt.

Putting those troubles aside with a decisive sigh, Finn looked around the cave with curiosity, before returning to Rurik. As if attracted by a magnet, her eyes were drawn to the tattoo on his shoulder. It was a skull, but not a skull she was familiar with. It was too short and round to be a wolf’s and the back of the head too large. Finn leaned closer, inspecting the mark and forgetting to be polite and mindful of personal boundaries.

”That is… I’ve never seen something like that before. What is it? ” Said Finn, looking up at the wolf. ”I’m all right, by the way.” She added offhandedly, remembering his first question. He had another tattoo on his other arm, and a band of what appeared to be gold in his ear. Finn also scrutinized these with interest, before looking down to the bottle and sword attached to Rurik’s belt. It had to be a sword, she recognized it instantly from her father’s descriptions, despite never having seen one herself.

Catching herself, Finn straightened, shrugging her shoulders embarrassedly. ”That was terrible manners right there, I’m really sorry. I just… I forget sometimes.” The scarred wolf brightened, offering Rurik a bright smile in return. ”Pleasure to meet you, Rurik.”

[/html]
[html]
RIGHT? Oh, man. When I first came up with Rurik, I was playing Zelda: WindWaker, AND it was around the time that one of the Pirates movies came out, and there was some other pirate-relevant activity in my life. I FORGET, but it was like, he HAD to come into existence, hahaha. XD

Her words only broadened the grin on his lips, and he shrugged his broad silver shoulders, a rather sheepish look crossing his monochrome face. He regarded her with his bright blue eyes for a moment before speaking in his deep, accented voice. "Gotta be use'ta water, I came over here in a boat from Russia, and it is very cold there," he said, punctuating it with a rumbling laugh. It was pretty cold, yeah, but Rurik was from Russia, and he was built for the cold. He recalled the long winters fondly, and the ice and the snow—not as good as the hot, sandy summer shore, but a close second nonetheless.

The Russian remained kneeling, though he extended a hand and placed it on the ground in front of him to lessen the strain on his leg muscles. His keen eyes studied the she-wolf; she was very scarred and she seemed to have lived quite a tale. Beneath the scars, there was a pleasant face and a rather pleasing color scheme; she was iron gray for the most part, highlighted with darker shadowy colors. Her eyes were a lovely shade of blue-gray, duller than his husky's eyes but in good taste with the rest of her fur. There was blood leaking from her foot, he finally noticed, and he frowned. "Your foot is hurt," he pointed out, as if she did not know it herself. Rurik could be a very simple and blunt man at times, and he could offer her no assistance with the foot. "Yes, let's sit for a minute," he said, joining her in sitting down.

The silvery wolf stretched his legs in front of him, his knees slightly bent. He leaned over them, just as Finn was drawing closer to him, and he followed her gaze and listened to her question, taking it rather in strude. "Some calls it a Jolly Roger. A human skull, with the... legs bones crossed in front of it. Or the arms bones," he said, pausing as he was not sure what the lower portion really was. It was a symbol of piracy, though in his lifetime Rurik had been more like a simple pioneer and part missionary of the human world and the civilized way of living than a wicked pirate. One could hardly call him a conquistador, as he'd quickly abandoned the notion of leading a pack. Rurik was not any sort of land-leader, and it was folly for him to have undertaken direction of anything other than a damn boat. Captain, he was good at—only because he knew the ship and the sea so intimately.

The she-wolf seemed rather embarrassed after a moment, and the Russian's grin returned in full force, and he shook his head. "Ahh, to hell with manners," he said, a mischevious spin on his smile now. "Ask away," he said. He liked answering questions, and he liked sharing knowledge—not that he was a bountiful wealth of it, not in comparison to some of the scholarly canines here and where he'd come from—but what he had, he liked to share.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 500+
I love POTC soooo much! I wish they’d make another movie, Jack Sparrow is awesome.

Finn listened intently, drinking up the words. Words made stories, and stories were always welcome. She had grown up on them, after all. In place of mother's milk she had been fed tales of wolven heroes and wars long past, of gods and wonders beyond imagining. Cuhlain Fidh always had a way with words, a near supernatural ability to pluck the perfect words from thin air and weave them together to form a shining rope that drew you in and held you raptly captive as he spoke. Even doubting, bitter, sarcastic Brom would sit still and quiet when his father settled down to entertain them all on cold winter nights.

"I'm not so great with water, we had lakes back home, but swimming in them was considered foolish." On summer days, when the air danced and shivered with heat, Finn and her brothers would race to the waters edge and splash about in the shallows, but that was all. The murky waters held strange things, giant lizards and ancient fish that sometimes came to the surface to feast on unwary wolves. Finn had seen it happen, a little pup from a neighbouring pack disappear beneath the surface with not so much as a splash. The water had rippled gently, as if stirred by slow fins, and then went still. Since then, Finn had deeply distrusted water that she couldn't see the bottom of.

"Tis but a scratch," Finn said, eyes crinkling mischievously. It was an old quote, far before her time, but an oft repeated one in her family. Fidh wolves had a tendency of brushing off even potentially mortal injuries with flippant disregard. Finn had said it after Aegnus ripped off her ear, though she nearly choked on her words as the pain lanced across her head. She had only been ten months, not even an adult. Lately, she had started to question whether it was purposeful or not. Either way, she had wiped the gloating off his face with those four words and a younger version of the cocky smile she used now.

A Jolly Roger... Finn considered it again, and the four parallel scars across Rurik's chest. She had similar ones, though in different places, and knew that they could only be made by the claws of a wolf. Curiouser and curiouser. Finn always found scars on others fascinating. It meant that life had left them marked but still alive, and suggested a stubbornness and refusal to simply give up and die. Or perhaps she was simply reading too much into it. It was entirely possible that Rurik had gotten those scars for being insubordinate or whilst running away from a fight, but Finn didn't think it likely. Though the wolf was kind and considerate in his manner, he didn't look like a coward. There was steel in him.

So many questions, and when Finn had lot's of questions, she found it hard to find the right one to start with. All seemed equally important. She thought for a second, tilting her head to the side, thinking. "All right, where is your accent from? I haven't heard anything even close to it in all my travels."

[/html]
[html]
Dude, they're supposed to!!! ANDANDAND, if they do, Bloom & Knightley already said they're not interested (and their storyline is pretty much wrapped up anyway) so the rumor is, if they continue to make Pirates movies, they will be exclusively Jack Sparrow-focused prequels or sequels. Um, SQUEAL!? And you know Johnny Depp loves Sparrow's character and playing him, so he's definitely down for it! AHH! I would bank on this actually happening, as the franchise is so wildly successful Disney would be idiots not to leap at the chance to make more money off it. XD /TEXTWALL

The Russian wolf was an extrovert, to be certain. He thrived off of the company of others, and there was nowhere he'd rather be than the life of the party, the central point of attention in the room. It was not arrogance or need that demanded this of Rurik, but a bright and bubbly personality which merely caused it to happen, most of the time. Few creatures could match Rurik in terms of optimism and helpfulness; he was not a creature inclined to rage or even irritation. He was calm and level-headed—at least when sober, anyway.

It was Rurik's turn to listen with interest; he could not imagine why a lake would be dangerous, and he was quite intrigued. He had been warned to stay away from iced lakes in the fall and spring, but he thought that was common knowledge, and Finn's words had seemed to indicate the lakes were never safe for swimming. "Bad water?" he said, cocking his head to ths side. He had encountered a few places in Europe where the human slag had not melted away from the earth, and it continued to poison the air, the water, the forest. He wondered if the world would ever recover.

The she-wolf spoke again, characterizing her wound lightly. The adage made the wolf grin, though he shook his head, mock-stern for just a moment. "Aye, but let it stop up 'fore we go frolickin' off," the Russian said in his rumbly accent. He had gotten much better at speaking English since he had first landed on the North American shore, and he rarely missed words anymore, though his manner of speech was still choppy, and he lost words occasionally, spending a moment to search his head before they returned to him. His vocabulary was rather limited, though he sounded much smarter in his mother tongue than he did in English.

She seemed to appreciate the offer, and Rurik's sable-dipped ears swept forward to catch the next question, perhaps one he could have predicted. He grinned, and shrugged his shoulders. "I speak Russian first, but I learn English, French, Spanish. I know little bits of Romanian, tiny bits of German. I have been to many places, so I think my voice shows that," he said. "You, too, travel the world?" he asked, surprised to meet another like himself.

There were fewer planetary nomads on this side of the earth. Rurik figured this was due to the predominantly feral lifestyle, though he did not know the specifics of everywhere in Europe. He had heard of some places where Lupercism had not taken hold, and there were still regular four-leggers living the feral life. Many places over there were similar to this, including his home clan. Though they had many human traits, some of his elder relatives still clearly preferred their wolf forms, and in some places it was considered impolite and completely out-of-place to be a two-legged canine.

[/html]
[html]

OMG! OMG! That would be awesome! I never really liked Natalie Portman Kiera Knightley (whoops) anyways. A movie with just Jack would be so friggin awesome! And if Barbossa made an appearance (which I think he would) it would be even more awesomer!

“Bad fish. Really big, bad fish.” Finn chuckled. This Rurik was growing quite quickly on her. He was quite nice, not at all standoffish, and when Finn met someone who was nicely mannered and pleasant, she reciprocated in kind. He was interesting to look at too. He had a strange mane, with what looked sort of like braids, and a piece of metal through his ear and eyebrow Finn had never even thought it possible to have a chunk of metal purposely put in your ear, but it seemed to be a style among many Luperci.

Her eyes drifted back to the sword, which shined in the half light. Finn thought it interesting, and quite pretty. It was hard to believe that something so well crafted could be used to kill. It was a point of contention for herself. On the one hand, she liked the shine and look of them, on the other hand, she did not like that she had absolutely no defense against it. She could not parry with her teeth or claws, and it lengthened the wielders reach far beyond her own. Finn felt a little trill of fear, despite knowing with strong certainty that Rurik would not use it against her unless she gave him a damn good reason to.

”Aye, aye.” Finn replied, imitating his pseudo sternness with what she thought was a serious and dour nod of her own. She couldn’t hold it though and felt another laugh well up inside her. She looked back down to the foot, listening to Rurik’s words anyways. It was the bleeding was sluggish now, soon enough it would be just a thin, pink mark to remind her of how bad she was at swimming. All of her scars were lessons, her missing ear the most vivid of them all. Never trust your family.

As Rurik rattled off the list of languages he knew, Finn’s eyebrows rose higher and higher. ”Impressive.” She managed to say, ”How does all that learning not leak out yer ears?” Finn had a good memory, to be sure, but not that good. She hadn’t even learned one word of the low speech of deer, despite running with one for months. Her tongue just wasn’t meant for anything but English. Then again, she’d never had anyone try to teach her Russian, or German or Romanian. She didn’t even know where those places were!

”In a manner of speaking, yes. I’ve traveled for a while, but I get the feeling it’s all one country. I came from the west, from the other ocean. Took me a while to get here.” The country had rolled on for miles, slowly changing the farther east Finn got. The prairies had been the worst. It was incredibly boring to see where you were going for miles upon miles. Finn looked up at Rurik again, venturing her next question with the slightest caution. ”So, how did you come to be a Luperci?

[/html]
[html]
OH, yes. People always overlook how badass Barbossa is, he really is the most cutthroat and true pirate of them all. X3 I hope so, man! AND, I'm sorry, I got carried away. D:

Fish! For all his seafaring ways, the Russian wolf could not stomach the damn things. When it came to a choice between starving and fish, he'd like to starve for quite a while first. When he had to subsist on their slippery, slimy flesh, he did—but he did not like it. The only way they were halfway decent was well-cooked or dried into a jerky, to rid the flesh of that rubbery, jelly-like texture. The Russian made a face, his obvious distaste for the creatures showing. "Feesh!" he exclaimed, shaking his head. "Never could stomach 'em," he explained, again looking sheepish. What a poor pirate he really was.

Still, that was interesting. Sharks were big fish, and maybe whales, too—though some claimed they were mammals just as wolves and horses and deer. The big wolf wrinkled his nose. "Ah, sharks?" he asked, cocking his head to the side. That did not make sense if Finn had lived inland and the big fish were in freshwater, since Rurik had never heard of freshwater sharks. "Can't eat them, anyways—not before they eat you," he commented.

The Russian wolf was not a violent soul in the least, though if he desired to protect himself or his loved ones he could certainly manage. He was not a killer, and he had never taken another sentient life, though there was certainly that dark capacity lurking in him somewhere, as with all creatures. Looking at the iron-furred woman before him, one could guess that she had killed, though by her appearance it would seem it had been out of necessity of protecting her own survival, a cause Rurik could hardly blink at. Still, for her scars she was a rather light-hearted personality, and she seemed to enjoy his company as much as he was enjoying hers.

He grinned and shook his head firmly. "I promise I am not too bright, language... it just seems to click into my head," he confessed, speaking honestly on both fronts. If anything, Rurik was somewhat clever and civilly educated, but he was not a scholar nor a philosopher. Deep subjects vexed him often, and he preferred to remain on the lighter side of life at all times.

Language was a wonderful thing, he thought, and he enjoyed being able to converse in many different languages, though the skill was hardly viable in these lands. Most spoke English, and though it was one of Rurik's better languages, he had missed his mother tongue with no one around to share it with. It was not so this time, not with Silas and Liliya at home. They could always break out into the purest Russian at any time, and it was a comfort to the silvery wolf. His sable ears turned to catch her voice, his icy eyes politely turned toward Finn's face as she spoke.

There were many places Rurik had not been, but he had seen most of Europe and parts of Africa, and some of this continent, as well. The world seemed to wide to travel all of it, and there was comfort in these familiar places. He nodded, having no idea just how wide this continent was. There was a comparison he could draw in journeying across Europe, however. "Aye, I can only imagine," he sympathized, shaking his ashen head. "I have seen much of Europe, and the coast of this continent. There are human maps... this one is huge," he said, marveling at how long the journey must have taken, his periwinkle eyes turning to Finn incredulously.

Her question was an interesting one, and he cocked his head, confused. "I was born a Luperci. My parents both were, and all of my siblings are. How did you—are you..." he trailed off, grasping for the word. He had known it, once upon a time, but it escaped him now, and he frowned. There was a word for those who were not born with the ability to shift, those who came from isolated pockets of uninfected territory. To his knowledge, he had never encountered a Luperci Nonissi before, but one could always easily disguise that. He looked at her with consternation apparent in his features, not wishing to upset her with too prying of a question. "Do you ever walk on two legs?" he decided, phrasing it as politely as he could think to. His pallid eyes were almost apologetic, finding such a foreign subject to be almost uncomfortable, and hoping he was not prodding at one of Finn's sore spots.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 700+
Agreed! I love him and his little monkey and his big hat. I was so happy when I saw him at the end of the second movie. And don’t worry about getting carried away, I like reading your posts! Also, Feesh! Made me snort pop out of my nose.

Finn snorted, unable to stifle the chuckle that rose from her throat. ”I’m sorry, I mean no offence. I just, heh, I just haven’t heard fish pronounced quite like that.” She tried to look contrite and failed stupendously, as her eyes still sparked with laughter and a smile hovered around her lips. She really hoped Rurik wasn’t too sensitive about her mirth, Finn was well travelled but had problems with knowing what could be construed as rude or not. ”Sharks? I’ve never seen a shark. They can eat wolves too? She added, vaguely horrified. It seemed she could never escape wolf-eating water-dwelling creatures. They owned the lakes and, apparently, the sea.

”I’ve never liked them much myself. All cold and slimy… I’d rather a rabbit any day.” Finn hadn’t been very good at catching them, either. Even when her life depended on scrounging up another meal she avoided the stream entirely, opting instead to scrounge for field mice like a coyote. There was something about their big, wide, dead eyes and gasping little mouths that made her queasy. Rabbits made high pitched screams when you caught them, but fish just lay there, wiggling as you gnawed away. Her brothers had ate fish with relish, flipping them out of streams with their paws like the bears did, and Finn liked to watch their shows of agility, but she was always somewhere else when it came time for supper.

Finn nodded at Rurik’s words, thinking. Nothing had ever come easily too her, except for being gung-ho about fighting. She hadn’t been very good at it when she started, and it was only through a lot of hard work and scars that she came to be halfway to decent. She had never even looked at a book, though she knew what one looked like, and couldn’t read or write. All in all, she was poorly educated in the ways of mathematics, or science or languages, but she knew how to survive and, until lately, that had been enough.

”Aye, it is. I spent months upon months walking through this place that was as flat as a worn rock. Miles upon miles of emptiness. It was hard hunting there, but I managed. I don’t think I’ll ever return there again, it was terrible in the summer and I usually love the heat.” She missed the mountains sometimes. The only one here was rather lacklustre compared to the harsh, grasping and forbidding peaks of her childhood, but what separated her was that immense, awful plain, and Finn didn’t think she could cross a second time and return with her life.

Finn fidgeted uncomfortably, seeing how on guard she had put Rurik. ”It’s all right,” She assured him, ”I’ve never walked on two legs, not like you can, I don’t think I have another form.” Her family lived in remote region, and rarely had much to do with the other packs. Finn’s suspicion of large groups of wolves had been inherited from Cuhlain Fidh, who shunned the large pack structure and opted instead to take care of and protect his immediate family and his immediate family only.

The whole Luperci thing, distressed Finn. She wanted to do what the others could do, and hated not having the option of being able to change. But at the same time, striving to become a Luperci seemed like something she wasn’t supposed to do. She was born a wolf, right? Shouldn’t she remain with what form she had been given? Finn felt like she was missing out, and knew that it decreased her chances of winning a fight when her opponent could change into something with a much longer reach. One of these days, she would pick a fight with the wrong wolf, and then there would be no more fighting, no more travelling, no more living.

”What is it like, though? To be able to walk around on two legs? To use a sword?” Finn’s curiousity returned in full force. There were still so many questions to ask, and she found that the time passed quickly as she conversed with Rurik.

[/html]
[html]
Ohh, we named the monkey Jack. XD But yes, HIS return was completely unexpected, as I fully expected Sparrow to return even when he got eated. But I thought Barbossa was done for. XP If they make more movies, though, I would seriously hope he'd return. Feesh, feesh. XD I had a laugh when I wrote it!.

The Russian was difficult to offend and slow to anger. The only time he'd been angry in recent memory was when Liliya and Anatoliy had slipped away in the dead of night to go exploring. Rurik was quick to track them down and give them both a sound yelling-at, happy that Lizaveta and Silas were at least smart enough not to go meandering off by himself. Though they were in a good part of the neighborhood and one Rurik himself felt quite safe in, he had been quite protective of his children when they were very young, though he had loosened up considerably since they'd passed their adult birthdays. The Russian smiled, and shook his head. "No worries," he responded lightly. For sure, he'd had a giggle at an odd accent or expression in his time.

He nodded grimly, but then gestured toward the water. "Thankfully this water, usually it is too cold for their tastes. There are more sharks in warmer water," he said. The Mediterranean had once been devoid of most sharks; now that there were fewer humans and wolves did not overfish the water, they were returning in abundance. Rurik had sailed most of that sea and he knew it intimately, favoring the Adriatic sea during the summer, when the maestral winds would bring the loveliest weather. He had spent some summers fishing those very seas, and he was quite fond of the area in general.

He grinned, glad to see someone shared his distaste. It was true; the fish flesh was not as warm as a hot-blooded mammal, and this was only made worse by the slippery, wet texture. He shuddered, remembering it. "Oh yes. That's exactly why I hate feesh, but rabbits are most excellent," he said. They were a favorite food of his, and he preferred the wild ones to the farm-raised types he'd had in some places in Europe. The cities were too big to allow the wolves to rely on the earth alone for their food, so some entreprenurial types had reopened slaughterhouses and farms, though their world was nowhere near as corporate as the humans. There was still no defined money system, and most simply relied on barter of goods and services rather than gold, though some places certainly accepted it as payment.

The silvery canine wrinkled his nose at Finn's description of the place. It sounded something like the steppes, though the ones in Russia were cold for most of the year, battered by the great winds that ripped across his country. Prey was rather abundant there, however, as the great grasslands were vivid greenery in the summer, and herds of wild and formerly domesticated animals meandered across the countryside. "That don't sound like much fun at all. I tell you, I am no big fan of real hot weather," he said with a smile. He liked summer, true enough, but he was glad it was a brief season. He could not imagine living in the tropics or in the desert.

This made him curious, and her reassurance had made him somewhat more bold on the subject. "No, usually if you are to shift, you begin at seven or eight months of age. Almost never past two years, unless there's a problem," he said, tapping his head to indicate a neurological flaw. Rurik had never knowingly performed any of these rituals, though in a way he had while creating his children, passing along the Luperci genes to the next generation of canines. He had read of them, heard of them, but he had never seen such an act, certainly not performed one. None of the women he'd had sex with had ever been in Lupus form, and he himself had mated only in his regular form. Neither had his blood or bodily fluid had passed into an nonnisi, so Rurik had never granted the gift of werewolfism to anyone. "There are ways to become a Luperci, you know? An ortus is a shifter from birth, but a verto is created," he said, roughly translating the Russian definitions for the Latin words.

He cocked his head to the side, considering. Such a question was difficult to answer, for Rurik had been raised in Luperci society, and it was somewhat like asking Finn what life was like as a nonnisi, or a feral as some liked to call it. "It is good to be able to shift, but I am something like you—I do not take my four-legged forms often. It does not hurt or feel strange, not even the very first time I became two legged... but it might be different if you have lived your whole life as you are," he said. "I do not think I could live on just four legs. Hands... the ability to move objects and affect the world around you, that is important to me," he added, finding it difficult to express the thoughts in his head. Such was the difficulty in being able to speak in many languages; there were a great many words in many languages he did not know, and the only one in which he possessed a broad vocabulary was his beloved mothertongue.
[/html]
[html]

WC: 800+
Hah, in Soviet Russia, feesh eat youuuuu! Also, the very last paragraph is an intimate look into Finn’s crazy mind.

"Well, that’s good. If I hadn’t known that I might never have gotten out of this cave." Said Finn. It was true, she could barely swim as it was, and the idea that there were wolf eaters loose in the water with her would have kept Finn on trapped in the grotto till judgment day. She settled again, glad that the Russian appeared to be so easygoing. She’d been enjoying herself in these lands lately. All the wolves she had come across were, at the very least, polite. Some were quite enjoyable to talk to, and Finn counted Rurik in the latter of these categories.

Traveling with a deer brought about less social interaction than Finn would have liked. Too often she found herself avoiding the company of others to protect the deer, or found that wolves tend to shy away from scarred wolves who are accompanied by live prey. Finn enjoyed Alastair’s comfort, but eventually the longing to converse with other canines became much too strong. Here, she was quite relieved that he couldn’t follow her down the steep cliffs, as she might not have swum into the cave if he had been on the beach, and thus never met Rurik.

”I have to be a fan of hot weather, the only other option in this country is it’s cold winters. Despite the fact that I’m a northern wolf, I seem to have unnaturally thin fur. The only reason I survived my first years was because I nearly clung to my brother’s side.” Brom had protected her when the blizzards raged, and when her father ran out into the whiteness to howl along with the winds. He had comforted her with his slow, steady voice as Aegnus paced and snarled with impatience and nerves until Cuhlain finally deigned to return.

Once Finn had put the mountains behind her the cold had lessened considerably, though it had still been difficult out on the plains. Her fur was curly, and thin and the scars didn’t help much as they exposed yet more skin to the elements. Brom and Aegnus had been damned near fluffy with fur, and though her father was similar to Finn pelt-wise, he was probably too crazy to care. That had been the usual way of life for Finn, till the day she left home. She didn’t miss the insanity, but she did miss someone warm to curl up next too when the tempests came.

”I’ve heard tell of that.” Finn said, ”Blood can usually pass the trait over. And sex.” Finn added with a shrug and a blush. She shifted, suddenly and painfully aware of her embarrassment. She stared at the wall over Rurik’s shoulder, trying not to meet his piercing, pale eyes. Though Finn wasn’t a very good judge of attractiveness in Luperci, she had to admit that Rurik was pretty high on the scale. His scars helped, she always liked scars, and the tattoos gave him a sort of devil-may-care look, and his fur was a nice colour.

But she and Rurik were quite different in many respects. Finn never thought of herself as beautiful, or even vaguely pretty. At night she’d fretted over this problem, knowing that it would be hard to find a mate who didn’t mind at all what his woman looked like. She’d have to hope for someone who liked her for her personality, and how many of those were there in the world? Though she’d carried a torch for a couple wolves over the meager three years of her life, Finn had never said anything, never told them.

She shuffled again, trying to think of another subject change. Her eyes roamed along the belt till they reached a glass bottle full of liquid, and Finn all but blurted out, ”So, what is that stuff?” She held her breath, knowing how blatantly she had mishandled that whole situation. Her mind was still stuck on the topic, and it whirled around like a train on a single, circular track. The doubts from the many night before rose like ghosts, shaking their clanking manacles in the theater of her mind. She wouldn’t find a mate, in all likeliness. Or have cubs.

She’d be alone, and it was all because she’d wasted her looks brawling and fighting and getting all scratched up. Not that it was likely she’d inherited any good looks to begin with. Neither her father nor her brothers had been lookers. She probably had failed the genetics test too. It was just her lot in life to be “the friend”, an amorphous entity inhabiting the purgatory between the circles of “woman” and “fighting buddy”. She’d screwed it all up, thank you very much, and all that she could hope for was to die and be reincarnated as someone more beautiful, interesting or both.

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_sinking.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:232px; padding-left:12px; padding-right:12px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Dude, that is exactly what I was thinking when I was writing that post, but I couldn't for the life of me finagle it into my writing without looking positively ridiculous. XD And D'AWW. D: Finn is very cute. <3

The silver canine laughed, his rumbly and infectious laughter ringing through the cave. It was rather serene down here, with the constant low sound of the salt water slapping against the rocks. Rurik figured he could live down here; he felt quite at home amongst the pirate relics, too good to be close to shore. With more time, he might have run to the tropics, to South America, Africa—anywhere with a long, pretty coastline that never grew less vibrant and beautiful. "It's pretty down here, but we need open air," the wolf said.

But he'd given himself responsibility, inadvertantly both times—and for that, he was almost kind of sorry. It was as if irons had been clamped around his feet, tethering him to certain parts of the world. Maybe it was simply a part of getting older. Rurik had felt for some time that he'd squandered his youth; he could have roamed far and wide, instead he'd come to the northern coasts of this continent and gotten his mate pregnant—accidentally—accused her of sleeping with a coyote, and basically royally screwed himself for no reason. He hadn't seen Kiska in several years, nor any of his older sons. Certainly they were his—Zaets was his spitting image, after all, and not one of them carried even a tiny hint of coyote.

The wolf cocked his head, his cadmium gaze returning to the woman as she continued to speak. "Hm. Maybe sometimes we just end up in the wrong place," he said, shrugging his shoulders. He was built for his climate, but some of his other siblings had not fared nearly as well as he did in the cold. Zharkj severely disliked the prospect of being cold, and her body was too petite and frail, obviously a build better suited to warmer weather. Perhaps that was why she had moved to Egypt. "I enjoy the changing of the seasons too much for any one temperature all the time," he said, at once dismissing the desert and the tundra. One never cooled, the other never melted.

The silver werewolf was quite aware he was prodding at awkward territory, but he was not a particularly shameful individual, and her mention of sex put a rather coy grin to his coal lips. He blinked at her in a way that feigned innocence, noticing her discomfort with the subjects. "Sure thing, love. Ever want help, you know where to howl," he said with a grin, though after a moment of seriousness he could not help but laugh, though it was not a malicious one. Rurik was the wrong canine to pursue for any kind of commitment, but he made an excellent plaything, and if making Finn into a Luperci could be something as fun as sex, well—he was always down for that.

As the iron-colored wolf searched for a subject to overcome her momentary awkwardness, the Russian cocked his head, studying her with an appreciative look in his eye. She was not terribly pretty, not with all of those scars, but there was something else there, some beautiful sort of savagery in her marred face. She might have been pretty once, and Rurik still thought her eyes and her coloration were rather striking. The Russian hardly had any scruples to begin with, and he thought it was rather erotic, shifting down to four legs and mating like his ancient ancestors did. He'd never done that before, for all his prowess and experience, because it simply had not occurred to him to do so.

The ash-colored male reached for his flask, unscrewing the cap and thrusting it out for Finn to smell. "Rum," he explained, tilting the flask back to take a swig of the harsh, fiery liquor. He looked to the midnight-colored wolf, cocking his head to the side and smiling. "Would you like some?" he offered, always polite and always willing to share. He would have to help her with the mechanism since she had no hands, of course, but he didn't think she'd mind, and he certainly didn't.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 600+
Hah! I love that joke, it never gets old. Also, who designed Rurik’s profile CSS? I absolutely love it!

”Agreed,” Finn said. She couldn’t be truly happy unless she had the wide sky above her. She had grown so used to being in high altitudes, where the sky and the mountains were the only thing for miles. When she had looked out from the cliffs here, she’d had the same feeling. Nothing but water and sky till the end of the horizon. It was beautiful, awe-inspiring and frightening. The idea of all that water, in one place and reaching unimaginable depths, scared Finn silly. She would never take to the sea. That, she knew for certain. Times may change and seasons pass, but the day Finn got on any kind of boat would be the day Hell froze over.

Still, she was envious of the freedom Rurik had. He could sail anywhere he wanted, down to the southern lands or back across the ocean to Europe. Finn could only go so far as her feet and strength would let her. Compared to a ship, the distance she had traveled was peanuts. It was a sad thought, knowing that there was so much more out there, and knowing at the same time that she would never, ever get to see it. Maybe she could get Rurik to tell her some of his stories. He’d surely been somewhere other than here, seen things Finn had not. She collected stories like others collected gold or clothes, guarding them as fiercely as any dragon.

”Aye, fall in this country is beautiful. All the trees changing colour and dropping their leaves…” Finn liked autumn and summer the most. spring was too wet, winter too cold, but The blistering heat and tumultuous storms of summer and the gentle breezes and twirling leaves of fall were incomparable. Back in British Columbia, it had been all winter, all the time. Snow up to her eyeballs and winds so strong they could strip your fur off if you so much as poked your head out of your den. She’d left those lands hastily, even the abyssal prairie had been preferable to that.

Finn stilled, completely blindsided by Rurik’s almost flippant offer. ”I, uh, that is... generous of you?” She stuttered, ear flickering. The wolf couldn’t believe that he’d thrown that proposition out there so easily. Did he just not care? Finn paused, some of the edginess leaving her. She was silent for a long moment, weighing the options. It could have been a joke, he could have been just playing with her, it was entirely possible. Or he could be dead serious. She shuffled again, looking towards the pool, unaware of what to say.

How did one respond to such a statement? Finn was out of her element here, and it was with great relief that Rurik picked up the topic changed easily enough. She stared at the proffered bottle and the splashing liquid inside. She knew it was alcohol, her father had told many stories and there was always drinking whenever Luperci were involved, but she’d never actually tried it. She shrugged, moving closer. ”Sure, I’ll have some.” Finn replied, ”Can’t be too bad tasting, right?”

She glanced up again at Rurik, who was much closer now, and licked her lips nervously. ”Ah, should I just slurp some up? Or could you pour some into my mouth. I wouldn’t want to waste it, I’ve heard rum isn’t exactly common here.” She didn’t know of any wolves who’d set up distilleries in Nova Scotia, and had no idea if anyone had been so enterprising as to set up shipping lines from Europe. Possibly, some wolf had discovered who to make moonshine somewhere, but if they had Finn hadn’t heard anything.

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_sinking.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:232px; padding-left:12px; padding-right:12px; padding-bottom:10px;">
No, it seriously does not. XD Homg, thank you!! I did, and I will totally make one for Finn, if you would provide me with a color scheme and lyrics you'd like me to use, and any particular theme/mood you want. ^^ If you want!

It was sort-of in Rurik's blood to be a sea-faring canine. His father, Vik, had fished the White Sea for most of his life, and most of his sons had taken to that very same livelihood. Many of them still resided in their birthplace, still quite close with Taheau, Rurik's mother, and Vik. Arkangel'sk had been an important port town in the times of the humans, and when the canines came to replace them it was no different. Though none of the Russo tribe had sailed further than the White Sea, Rurik found it was not enough, and he desired to see the entire world more than anything else. Perhaps it was also his distaste for his father's livelihood and the taste of fish that had helped to drive him away, as well.

The Russian smiled and he nodded, in vehement agreement with the comment about the fall leaves. There was something too pretty about them here, though he was intimately familiar with Russian autumns. He still remembered the last blustery fall when he'd landed on the northern coast, on the old and burned-out beach. "I am so glad I landed in time to see it," the wolf added, reminiscing with a newly sentimental quality. The rum made quick work of Rurik these days, though he'd been drinking most of his life. He enjoyed his lowered tolerance, however, as it meant he drank far less and got just as drunk as he used to.

Rurik again observed the discomfort in Finn, and he smiled a genuine, and serious smile, the mischief fading from his eyes. "What's a little fun between friends?" he said with a shrug, more of a rhetorical question than anything, and a good statement to make—hopefully it would ease her tension and let her know he liked her, and he considered her friend, at the bare minimum. For Rurik, it was rather easy to move to a physical level from there, and most of his various interests and girlfriends—and even his only true mate, Kiska—had been friends before lovers. Some shied at the idea of moving to a deeper level and risking the friendship, while the Russian merely saw it as the strengthening of bonds.

The wolf grinned at her statement, shrugging his ashen shoulders. "Well, they don't calls it firewater for nothin'," he said, scooting closer as she asked how she would drink it. The silvery canine considered. It would only take a quick sip and a second, as it wasn't good for her to go chugging rum on her first drinking experience. "C'mere," he said, motioning with his free hand. "I'll pour a sip into the top, and you can drink it from there," he said, doing just that with his ornately decorated flask. The cap hardly held enough for half a shot, but it would be enough for Finn, and if she wanted more he could always give her more. He set the flask down and held the little cap up to her lips, waiting for her to open her mouth so he could pour it in. "Ready?"

[/html]
[html]

WC: 500+
Having gotten pissed drunk last weekend, I am proud and simultaneously ashamed to say that I can accurately write about what it’s like to be intoxicated. Finn’s balance would suck even more than it usually does, missing toes + alcohol would be funny to watch. Also, should we add the mature header? I'm good with the explicit or "fade to black" version. XD

”Yes.” Obediently, eyes nearly crossed as she tried to look at the cup, Finn lapped down the drink in one quick motion. For a moment, it was fine, and she grinned a little, feeling sheepish. Then the burning started. It worked it’s way down her throat like she’d swallowed flaming gasoline, ending in her stomach like the explosion of an atomic bomb. Finn gasped and coughed, eyes tearing up as the heat spread, flashing through her veins and spreading out to her limbs. The cool she had been feeling since her little swim was banished, disappearing like shadows before the sun.

”That is…” Finn said, grimacing a little, ”That is… really good!” She snorted in disbelief, but now that the original scalding feeling had passed the rum settled in her stomach with a pleasant weight. She let out a breath, surprised at how much less awkward she felt. Her body was warm, the aftertaste was quite pleasant once you got used to it, and Finn was looking at Rurik in a different light. A happy smile crossed her face, and she tilted her head, looking her companion over again with a much more contemplative eye.

”Aye, nothing wrong with a little fun.” She moved a little closer, thankful that Rurik had crouched down. Now they could see eye to eye, and Finn’s danced merrily, her smile growing wider and more mischievous. She could hardly think of a better place for some “fun” than this, though she could hardly think at all. Having never had alcohol before, Finn could not have been more drunk. Her thoughts moved like sluggish, little clouds, bumping and scudding through her head as if moved by a leisurely summer breeze. She swayed a little, chuckled at her lack of balance, and looked to Rurik once more.

”I hope you don’t mind, but I think I’ll take up your offer while you’re here. Much easier than trying to track you down.” She leaned even closer, meeting his gaze boldly. Everything that had passed through her head before was gone, all the worries and fears. She was all right, she was okay. Finn was starting to take a real liking to that rum stuff. After this was over, she’d have to track down someone who could make more. But, she’d needs hands to drink it.

Her eyes traveled across Rurik’s face, from his pale eyes to his dreadlocked hair to the golden earring that gleamed in the half-light. She really liked Rurik. He was good company, a friend. There was nothing wrong with what she was doing, none at all. The idea that there was no going back after this, after becoming a Luperci was edging into her mind, but she shook her head to ward it off. ”I hope I can trouble you for another sip of that?” She asked, trying to speak with a polite, Scottish brogue and slurring her words horribly. More alcohol would take care of those fears, send them scuttling away to the back of her mind for now. That was all she needed right now, peace of mind and Rurik.

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_tropic.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:230px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:25px;">
Awrr. :3 Alcohol isn't all terrible, it just needs to be treated with far more respect than most people give it. No reason to go crazy trying to outdrink someone, it's an easy way to get alcohol poisoning. >_O But there's nothing wrong with drinking, so long as it's done in moderation and you are smart about it! Big Grin I will edit the M tag in there, and I don't really mind either way, though I'm leaning toward fade-to-black since I just finished off another sex thread with Kae. >_O My chars are sluts! And I powerplayed her taking the next sip, I hope that's OK? :3 If not, poke me and I will edit.

The Russian wolf watched eagerly as Finn drank her first sip of alcohol, the reactions and emotions flashing across her scarred face. He could still quite clearly recall the first time he had drank alcohol, and the fire in his belly it had caused. He was quite used to it by now, and over his long drinking career, he had rarely drank to slovely excess. Still, Finn didn't seem to have too terrible of a reaction, and after a moment she said it was rather good. The wolf grinned and took another swig for himself, enjoying the pleasant warmth in his belly and the fire in his mouth.

The edges of his vision had begun to blur slightly, the lovely warmth extending throughout his limbs and tingling down to his very extremeties. "Rum's the usually the drink of choice," he said with a chortle, grinning a lopsided grin toward the midnight-colored wolf. The upper classes had their wine and scotch, but Rurik preferred rum if vodka was not at hand. There was nothing quite like the homebrewed poljo his neighbors had made; there was no other vodka quite like that in the world. He was glad he hadn't stashed that in his flask; it was something like everclear with twice the kick, quite possibly too much for Finn's alcohol-virginal tongue.

Finn's next words were hardly surprising, and the Russian was quite glad to hear she felt much the same, his cerulean eyes lighting again on her face. Again he marveled at her optimistic and light-hearted personality; certainly one with as many scars as she carried should have been hardened to the world. But here was this lovely, vibrant woman in front of him, the swirl of alcohol on her brain and its sweet spice on her breath. The grin that had planted itself on his face did not fade, only widened at the iron-furred wolf's next statement. Well, that was a blessed turn—she had seemed to almost shy from the subject before, and now the alcohol had emblazoned them both. "Oh? I do like your thinking," he rumbled, his icy eyes meeting her own slate-colored ones, that impish note returning to his features.

She inquired about more of the rum, her words already swirling about. "Certainly, but we'll wait a while on some more," he said. It would hardly do to have his date pass out from the liquor. The Russian himself was a little nervous now, as he was thinking of assuming his four-legged form. That was the only way to do it; he might hurt her otherwise, and he found such an odd coupling abbhorent for a first encounter. Better to keep it natural. Still, Rurik had not become a lupus in some time, and he wondered what it would be like to stand on four legs drunk.

The silver wolf again tilted the cap back into her mouth, though this time his fingers lingered around her mouth for a moment, rolling the cap back to clutch it with his pinky while his index and middle fingers caressed her muzzle, boldly running over the edges of the scars crossing it. They were bumpy beneath his gentle touch, and he brushed his fingers along her cheek, then drawing them just beneath her jawbone, breaking contact at her chin with a smile. He capped the rum, setting it off to the side. "I will shift for you," he said, as if there were no contesting the matter. His breath came a little quickly now, both flushed with excitement at the thought of making love and nervous at the thought of transforming. He felt it was right, though—both for the physical comfort, and to prepare the slate-furred woman before him. This was what she would become, and though it might be awkward for her at first she would become as natural a luperci as Rurik in time.

He shuffled back a little on his hips, standing upright to unbuckle his belt and kick his pants off. His gear made an obscene amount of noise in the cave, and he kneeled back down in his fur in front of her, though his nudity it hardly bothered him. Even in civilized Europe canines wandered the streets naked, and it was as normal as wearing clothing, excepting only the most formal of occasions. He only had to untie his bandana, and his heavy mane shivered loose from its hold. The ashen canine began shifting, and it was something of a longer process for him than most, since he so rarely assumed his other forms.

He shrank in size, his hair seeming to fuse along with his spine, translating into a dark black saddle along his shoulders and neck. His long fingers retreated backwards into his paws, and his elbows slowly moved up his arms as they became thinner and more wolf-like. It was almost soundless, save for the occasional grind as a bone shifted here and there, and in a few minutes Rurik stood four-legged. The same darker gray markings extended over his face, though his underbelly and his cheeks were still powdery white. He was still a rather large wolf in his smallest form, his coat rough and thick, clearly built for a cold climate. He peered over at Finn, disoriented for a moment only due to the liquor, and a familiar grin graced his purely wolf face. "Doesn't hurt a bit," he reassured her.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 700+
Agreed, there’s a right way to do it and a wrong way. I did it the wrong way, and I really don’t want to repeat it. At least I didn't get a hangover, because when I was really really drunk my friends started serving me water and pretending it was a really cool shot that just tasted like water... I’m good with the fade to black thing, but I’ll let you do it cause I’m not sure how to do it. XD And no worries about the powerplay.

She leaned in to the touch, feeling his slim fingers run over her fur and her scars. It was nice, she had spent so many years fighting that the only touch she knew was that of violence. Teeth and claws rending at her skin. This was something different, gentler and comforting. So much could be conveyed through a light hand and she found herself laughing inwardly at her own stupidity. She’d never known how nice it was to be touched like this. Sure, Brom had nuzzled her in brotherly affection, and Aegnus had sometimes pulled his punches so they were only soft taps, but this was something new.

Her ear flickered as Rurik stated he would shift, with such a determined and no nonsense voice. She had met a few Luperci lately and she was beginning to understand that some did not like to change. Some took their two legged forms and never shifted back. She didn’t know how Rurik felt, but Finn intended to communicate her gratefulness towards his generosity soon enough. She watched with interest as he removed his clothing, and listened to the echoes in the cave as the metal of the belt buckle clattered on the rocks. Rurik looked much more natural now, in just his fur.

She had never seen a Luperci shift. It looked complicated, all those joints and bones shifting and sliding. She half expected Rurik to make some murmur of pain, it didn’t look natural, looked like it would hurt. But, against all her beliefs he looked up at Finn and smiled, and she felt her heart give a little leap. Her body was hot, on fire, and she padded forward, touching her nose to his. He smelled good, it was like all the foreign lands he had been to had left their smells in his coat.

She caught a hint of spices, of icy winter wind, of salty ocean. Finn breathed in again, running her muzzle along his neck. He was warm too she could feel it radiating off him and she moved a little closer. The blood was buzzing in her ears like bees and Finn couldn’t make herself care about the state of the world if she tried her hardest. There was just this cave and Rurik. ”You know, I wanted to do this the moment I saw you.” Finn murmured in his ear.

It was true, she just tended to hide all that stuff away. Any thought that passed beyond the realm of friendship was usually kidnapped, gagged and locked in a box so it couldn’t get out. She had believed Rurik was beyond her grasp, out of her league, with his worldly ways and handsome smile. But here he was, so close to her that she could hear his heartbeat. It was nearly unbelievable, but stranger things have happened. Finn had been missing something, tripping through the world and unable to share her feelings. It was nice to get it all out, a release of sorts.

Finn looked over Rurik again. It was much easier now to tell that he was good-looking. She could admire his muscles and colouring in a much more familiar form. She found herself wondering what it would be like to mate in Luperci form, with hands to run across his pelt and entirely different body shapes. Maybe next time, once she had contracted the virus and learned to shift. Maybe, after parting with Rurik she’d come across him one day and surprise him with her new form.

The gray wolf stilled for a moment as a new thought made its way out of the throng. She drew back a little, sitting on the very edge of the rock, trying not to look foolish. ”Rurik, I… I don’t know what to do.” She admitted, looking away with embarrassment. If she were human, her skin would have gone beet red. She had never had sex before, and the thought made her blush even harder. Others had scores of children by the time they were three, and she hadn’t even been with someone. She really hoped Rurik wouldn’t laugh, and hoped even more that he wouldn’t spurn her.

Her father had never explained the birds and the bees, neither had her brothers and Finn was partially glad for that as it would have been extremely awkward. But she was lost here, adrift without an oar on a entirely new ocean she had never even sailed upon. She looked at Rurik again, nerves returning in full force. She really didn’t want to screw this up, but her plans often seemed to fail and things she coveted slipped from her grasp. Finn really wanted this time to be different.

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_tropic.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:230px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:25px;">
Eh, it's good that you experienced it the bad way first, so now you definitively know what not to do. But as far as being served water, don't fret. Tongue A few of my friends had pulled the same thing with pepsi when we were mixing liquors because our friend had also gotten too drunk and was demanding more. -shrug- Better they did that than let you really drink your face off and end up getting your stomach pumped. X_x As far as hangovers go, I've been lucky in that department; the worst I've ever suffered was a mild headache that went away with an ibuprofen and a hefty dose of caffeine, but some people get them sooo much worse, with puking and augh. DDD: And zomg, I didn't realize Rurik was popping her cherry! D'awwww! X333 SO cute. And, moar powerplay, if that's okay? D: I feel the need to ask in every instance, lol. But, uh, yeah! this will be the blackout here at the end, and then we can just pick it up afterward? X3 I would guess in the middle of your post, just throw a few asterisks to indicate the black-out? /longest ooc message ever!

The cloud-colored man had not assumed his four-legged form since he had taught his children to shift some months ago, and for nearly two years before that. Some found the urge to shift uncontrollable at times, especially around the full moon, but Rurik felt hardly a tug at those times, not nearly enough to make him go feral and galavant through the woods. He had not lost his wolfish edge, however, and it was clear from the fluid motions of his still-lithe body. The Russian was getting on in age, but he did not appear it a bit, and he had only grown slightly more haggard in the face since his last jaunt about these parts. He still had quite a few years left in him, several of them still good.

It was quite natural for him to be this way, though, as he was born with four legs, as were they all, and after a moment he was completely himself again. Had he not been intoxicated he would have known his first form immediately, and as it were it had only taken an instant to adjust to it anyway. The leaden female crept closer to him, pressing her coal nose against his. She hadn't seemed bothered by his shift, and he was rather glad for that. He hadn't wanted to scare her, but it was best that she was prepared for what she was asking him for. Rurik was not as some; to some Luperci, bestowing the gift of shifting on another was a ritualistic affair, complete with daggers and ceremony and all of that flash. This seemed more fitting, and was generally more certain anyway. There was something in the ferocity of the act which made it appropriate for transfering the virus to another.

Her warm breath was against his neck, and he turned his head toward her, rubbing his own nose beneath her iron-colored jaw, his pink tongue licking the side of her muzzle. He would kiss her here, but his wolf lips felt inappropriate for it, so he made do with that, sidling closer to Finn by the moment until they were close enough for the fur on their shoulders to brush against each other. Rurik was content for a minute to lay his head against her chest. He had decided to be gentle with this lovely creature from the beginning, thinking perhaps she had suffered enough in her lifetime already. She didn't need more of the same from him. He smiled at her words, drawing back a little and giving her that same sloppy grin. "You should'a spoken sooner."

He was content to move at a pace that was comfortable for her, quite happy to simply rest his head against Finn's neck for a moment, looking with muted surprise as she drew back, thinking she was reconsidering. She hesitated a moment and spoke shaky words, surprising to the wolf. Oh—it made sense, then, her shyness. The Russian did a double-take in his mind, and reconsidered this fact. No one had touched her prior to this, she was pure and pristine? He almost scowled and broke out with joy at this notion, wondering how any could have passed her up and left her all to him. In an extremely human gesture, the silvery wolf lifted his forepaw and settled it over hers, gripping her flesh ever so gently with his claws.

He spoke reassuringly, leaning in again to nuzzle the side of her muzzle even as he spoke, hesitating to inhale her scent as it wafted up from her neck, lovely and feminine. "Oh, dorogaya—then your loveliest gift is saved for me," her murmured into her ashen fur, still marveling at how such a thing could be his. He smiled again, light sparkling in his husky's gaze as he regarded Finn's scarred features once more, thinking she was lovelier by the moment, and this was not simply the alcohol speaking. "You'll have to turn away from me," he said softly, though he was rather used to facing his lovers, and he was not quite ready to surrender her face yet. "... in a moment," he said.

The silvery wolf's teeth found her neck, nibbling gently on her flesh through her thin fur, alternating this with a nuzzle here and there. He was not absolutely certain how to express his affection in this form, but this felt nice and right to him, so he continued for a moment, little noises of affection escaping his throat now and then. His breathing was a bit quicker, and excitement danced in his blue eyes as he pulled back, nodding to her to indicate she ought to turn. "Your body will know what to do," he said, quite certain of this. She turned obligingly, and Rurik leaned forward a bit to rub his nose behind her ear affectionately as he pushed himself over her.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 800+
All hail Finn, Queen of Awkward Moments. I believe I have set it up for their next meeting to be sufficiently awkwarder. I think this might be my last post, but if you need me to do another I am totally fine with that. I absolutely love rping with you! And yes, Finn is the nearly-40-year-old-virgin... >.>

Oh, that smile. If Finn had any qualms before, they were shed after seeing that smile. Her stomach flip-flopped as if she had stumbled in the dark, or tread wrong on crumbling rock. His words when she told him that she was a virgin nearly made her heart melt. She’d heard plenty of stories before, about what love was or how it felt, but love had never been a truly real thing for Finn. She had liked some of her family, but never loved them. She had liked other wolves, but never loved them. It was a mythical emotion, entrenched in stories and tales, out of reach for normal, everyday wolves. What she felt right now, she sure, but it had to be the closest she’d ever been to loving someone. The noises that came from Rurik’s throat made her pulse beat faster, and by the time she turned and felt his weight on her back, she wanted him, body and soul.

*** SEXY TIEMS! Big Grin ***

It was done. Finished. Finn lay beside Rurik on the rocky surface of the grotto, amongst the glittering gold and long lost human treasures. Her chest rose and fell, slowing each time. She stayed there a moment, a content smile on her lips, pressed close to her lover. She had never known what she had been missing, and she felt a warm, happy glow inside. It had been quite amazing. But now, as the post-coital bliss began to fade, reality was edging it’s way in through the door. She had slept with someone, someone she had just met this morning. She’d gotten drunk and slept with someone and now, now she had probably had contracted the virus.

”What was I thinking?” She whispered, so quietly that only herself could hear. Her eyes snapped open, darting around the cave, across Rurik’s face. She shouldn’t have done it. She shouldn’t even have taken a sip of that wonderful, courage bestowing, inhibition removing alcohol. She sat up, looking about with anguish. She done wrong, and it was as if her father was here in the cave, his rasping voice echoing in the corners, filling Finn’s ears. She looked down at Rurik again, feeling horrified and dreadful simultaneously.

”I’m sorry.” She said, backing away till the cave wall hit her rump. She started, flattening her single ear and trying her very best not to listen as Cuhlain find raved and ranted, just like he used to. He shouldn’t be here, couldn’t be here. He knew, though. Somehow he knew that the daughter he’d raised as a son had gone and done bad. He’d have Aegnus give her a thrashing. But that was only if Aegnus could catch her. Finn darted forward, briefly pressing her nose to Rurik’s neck, taking in his wonderful scent for the last time.

”I’m so sorry.” She whispered in his ear, before dashing away to the where the stone fell into a miniature cliff edge, and the water licked and lapped at her toes. It would be cold, it would be frightening. But Aegnus and Cuhlain were worse than drowning. She threw herself off the ledge, legs already pin-wheeling before she hit the surface. There was an almighty splash, the shock of cold, salty water, and then Finn was swimming, thrashing through the water and out the cave opening. It was still day when she climbed up the beach, sodden, ragged and wild-eyed.

She looked up, following the cliff edge to where Alastair waited for her, his red-brown figure crowned by that familiar branch of antlers. She struck out in that direction, gaining speed as she went. The alcohol was still in her body, but the sex and the cold water had removed most of the side effects, and as she ran her body felt faster and more coordinated. Her mind, however was worsening. She’d committed the crime her father had always told her not to do. “Lie, cheat, kill or steal, do whatever you must to survive,” He said, “But never, never become one of them.”

A howl rolled over the cliff, dashing itself on the rocks below. It sounded enough like her elder brother to lend even more strength to her strides, and fuel the fear that pumped through her veins like poison. She reached the top of the cliff and looked down to where the cave had been. Any moment now Rurik would come out, hurt and confused, maybe even angry. Finn felt a sob well up in her chest, but she tamped it down, choking out another ”I’m sorry.”

She wasn't quite sure who she was apologizing to, Rurik or her father. Finn turned away, fleeing into the rolling hills, Alastair at her side. Not for the first time in her life, Finn ran. But this was the first time she had truly felt ashamed. She hoped she never saw Rurik again, for if they met and he was angry with, she might forget that handsome, heart-catching smile of his. And that was something Finn never wanted to forget.

[/html]