what was it i ran from, what burnt away inside?
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... letopp.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 384px; border: 1px #371C45 solid; font-size: 10px; padding-top: 150px; font-size: 10px; line-height: 12px; color: #371C45; text-align: justify">
ooc -
i don't think i need all the normal joining info since she's already in the souls system as a loner, but if i'm wrong just let me know and i'll edit it in up here. Big Grin. 355 words

ic -
Sofia had finally made it back to Inferni. Her legs were so sore that the last mile or two she didn't even think she would be able to take more than a step or two further. But she had made it. She was rain-soaked, and shivering, and starving, but she was here. She stood directly in front of one of the wolf skulls on the border of the coyote territory. She wondered in an idle, almost fevered way if she would die, and end up like one of those. She had appreciated for all of her life the fact that she looked more wolf than coyote, but all of a sudden it seemed like a badge of major shame. This was where she wanted to live until she died, this was the home she wanted to make. But maybe it wouldn't happen. Maybe she'd get a coyote like the one in Halifax, but this time with no dark stranger swooping in to save the day at the last minute. She cared a lot less, now, than she did then. She was too tired to care, in too much pain to really find the prospect of death more than mildly unpleasant and less than ideal.

If she had the breath to spare to howl, she might have. Might have. She could have tried to call Kaena, but she had no idea of her rank, no idea if she'd have the power to let her in, even if she wanted to, which wasn't something that was exactly guaranteed. God, she should have stopped to hunt. But the past two nights when stopping her travels for the day she had been so exhausted, so cold - why didn't the rain ever cease? That it was just so much easier to fall into an instant sleep in whatever dry place she encountered. If she survived the encounter with whoever came her way (assuming anyone ever found her if she didn't announce her presence) then the first thing she should do was find a rabbit or a mouse or anything, no matter how appealing the prospect of a warm den was.

[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_disorder.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
    The silvery hybrid was engaged in her usual loop about the borders, stalking their perimeter as if every time she made this trek she would encounter a newcomer. Sadly, it was not so. It felt like all of her recent encounters had come to fruition and ended with the acceptance of another new face to the clan, but the sad truth was that border-duty was something like hunting; there was only one time for every ten (or more) in which Kaena was successful in finding a newcomer. There were days and weeks when she encountered no one, though the treks were still quite necessary as they strengthened the perimeter and the strong "stay away" scents surrounding their territory.

The hybrid woman did not enjoy the rainy weather; it was rather irritating after so many weeks of it during the summer. Still, responsibility was responsibility, and the hybrid woman was required to act in the best interest of her clan. So she walked, shifted to her Secui form. She preferred to traverse rainy territory in four legs; for some unknown reason, it was less annoying to walk on four legs through the rain than two. The hybrid woman meandered along the skull pikes, the drizzling rain beating against her head. Her sable ears pricked up as she saw before her a hunched figure, pale gray and cream fur soaked just as her own monochrome coat. It looked like a wolf, and instant adrenaline spiked the hybrid's bloodstream for just an instant before scent revealed the canid's identity as Sofia.

The green-eyed hybrid appeared to be in bad shape, distress showing on her features. Kaena's ears flattened against her head as she crept closer, her yellow eye widening. "Sofia?" the hybrid asked incredulously, finding it difficult to believe that this presence was waiting on Inferni's borders. She was a hybrid, yes—but Sofi did not appear to be very mixed-blood at all, and she could rather easily pass for wolf. The Centurion was curious as to what this meant; Sofi was sick with something, and it was unlikely she would make a long journey without a damn good reason.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... letopp.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 384px; border: 1px #371C45 solid; font-size: 10px; padding-top: 150px; font-size: 10px; line-height: 12px; color: #371C45; text-align: justify">
ic -
Out of the rain came an apparition, and it wasn't until the canine form spoke that Sofia could say with a fair amount of certainty that it was not a hallucination borne of wishful thinking. Yes, this was Kaena. Relief washed over her like the rain still dripping from the clouds. She wouldn't be killed on sight, at least, even if she still had to figure out if she'd be welcome to live here. "Yeah, it's me.. It's n-nice to see you." Her teeth chattered a little. She shouldn't have sat down, it was getting colder now that she stopped moving. She wanted to stand up, to pace to get her blood moving through her veins, but she was supposed to show respect and be polite. Her ears were tilted downwards, her tail curled tightly around her feet, eye contact avoided.

"Is there.. Could I join this pack? I mean, even though I look a lot like a wolf.." Nervous, then her voice trailed off. It would be so terrible to be turned away now. Her green eyes darted up, hopeful to read some sort of expression off the older female's face, but the rain and exhaustion worked together to blur the particulars, and she would just have to wait for a vocal response. Kaena was nice. There was no reason Sofi wouldn't be allowed to stay, right? Except for the looking-like-a-wolf thing. And the dying-soon thing. Or maybe there were too many members already and they didn't want any more. Or maybe they just didn't want useless members, like she was bound to be eventually. And there were probably a million other reasons she couldn't think of at the moment that could spring up to destroy this possibility of joining.

[/html]
[html]

The younger female spoke, the sound of her voice alone enough to confirm the coyote woman's suspicions as to her identity. She drew closer, and the silvery hybrid's features became less blurred to the one-eyed hybrid. There was the ghost of a smile planted on Kaena's face, and she nodded. Though she and Sofi had been wary of each other at first, naturally, but the Centurion had grown rather fond of the younger canine. Part of it was pity, yes—but Kaena herself hated pity, and it was so rare an emotion evoked within her she would never mention it, least of all to Sofia. Beyond that, there was an odd connection, or at least Kaena felt there was. "And you. What can I do for you?" the coyote wondered, honestly curious as to what would provoke the younger canine to come here.

Well, that was unexpected. The hybrid woman had known Sofi to be a loner; she did not smell of any of the packs and she still hadn't. But she looked like a wolf, and she had lived the life of a wolf, or so proposing to join Inferni was just about the last thing she'd expected from the olive-eyed woman. Kae was quite sure that it showed on her face; she cocked her head to the side and considered for just a moment. She knew a bit about Sofia, so they might skip over some of the more monotonous parts of accepting her to the clan. The hybrid woman knew she was ill, and though that certainly would have worked against her if Kae was not fond of Sofi, the hybrid woman had taken a liking to her.

The hybrid woman nodded, her yellow-gold eye focused on her silver companion. "You have a quarter coyote blood?" the ash-colored canine asked, her head cocked to the side, her tattered ear curved toward Sofi. "There ought to be room for you here, then," the hybrid asked, that same half-smile on her face. It felt wrong to ask Sofi what she could do; the hybrid woman had a good grasp of her personality already, and despite her youth and her illness, Kaena was certain she would do what was necessary to assist the clan for as long as she could. The hybrid woman thought perhaps with better care and help, Sofi's life could be extended... it was a possibility, and one that gave the monochrome hybrid hope.

Table by Mel
[/html]
[html]
ooc - 354 words

ic -
Sofia felt the connection as well - she really liked Kaena, it was one of the main reasons she had chosen Inferni over a wolf pack. The rest of the reasons were harder to explain. In part, she felt like she should do something different than she had been, should break further away from what was familiar. It was almost like if she was just going to spend the rest of her life in a wolf pack, why the hell had she bothered to come all the way out here? She was committed to a change, to a new start and a new life for as long as she had one. Before it was too late, she wanted to learn more about this unknown part of her heritage that was so recently dug up. The lands around here just felt.. more comfortable, too, and she didn't really know why. Maybe she just too quickly latched onto the first canine round here that had shown her a bit of kindness. Well, whatever, the why didn't matter too much, she was doing it.

The young girl nodded at the question. "Yeah.. a lil more, maybe. I think my dad might have been more than half, but I never really met him so I don't know exactly." Her next words were almost too good to be true. That was it? That was all it took? Weren't there questions that were supposed to be asked? But of course Kaena knew that Sofi's answer to "what can you do for the pack" would be incredibly limited. She was grateful of the kindness, then, of her refraining to ask it. It was probably a good thing that someone, at least, knew what she was going through, and would understand. "Really? That's really great to hear. Thank you so much." Despite how cold and hungry and tired she was, relief made her grin. "Who.. who is the leader?" She tilted her head, curious, and feeling it was something she should know. "You?" It would make sense. Kaena was pretty old and wise and stuff. She looked like she could hold her own in a fight, too.
[/html]
[html]
We can continue this thread, start a new one, or just OOC say Kae took her somewhere. X3 Whatever you want. <3

The silvery hybrid knew that if Sofia was less than a quarter coyote, she would have to consult Gabriel on the matter as to whether or not the light gray canine would be allowed to remain as an outsider, but it pleased Kaena to know it all the same. So long as one of her parents was at least half-coyote, Kaena saw no problem in the matter. Anselm rather looked like a wolf, and Jael had been almost completely wolfy in appearance. It was rather useful to have hybrids that could pass for wolves among their numbers, anyway. Kaena herself was clearly a mixed blood, and that was only obvious because she did not look like any particular canine. Her facial features and her build were extremely coyote, but her coloration, size, and several other important factors were wolfish or doggish.

The Centurion nodded in response to her answer. "Plenty enough," she said with a smile. The younger canine's vehement thanks widened that grin, and the scarred hybrid nodded her head. If she were not fond of the other hybrid, perhaps things would have gone differently. Kaena had become more maternal in her old age, and it seemed her heart had expanded some to include members of the general populace rather than just her own family. "Sure. I'll do what I can for you," the hybrid said somewhat awkwardly. She almost added while you're here to the end of it, but she'd managed to choke away that little bit before it fell out of her socially retarded mouth. There was absolutely no need to rub Sofi's face in it, so the Centurion tried to remain as polite as possible about that whole issue. It had occurred to her to ask why the younger canine was seeking out Inferni instead of one of the packs, but she'd stifled that question, finding it endearing that perhaps their one prior encounter had been the draw of the clan.

The jade-eyed woman asked a question, and the hybrid shook her head in response, already smirking at the backwards way Inferni had it. The son led the mother, though perhaps with Kaena's age and her comfort in the secondary position made this setup the smarter one. "I'm the second in command, while my son, Gabriel, is the Aquila," the hybrid said, smiling still. The silver-furred woman had taken Sofi's assumption/inquiry that Kaena was leader as quite the a compliment. Kaena stood, attempting in vain to shake the water from her head, and spoke again. "Some of us live in the caves, others stay in the mansion. I'll take you wherever you're more comfortable," the coyote offered. If they went to the caves, they could hang out a little while and perhaps Kaena could feed her and teach her a little bit about Inferni.

Thanks to Akumu for the table!
[/html]
[html]
ooc -
maybe a few more posts in this thread or so? Big Grin and then we should have another thread at some point when she's settled in~ 300 words.

ic -
Aquila. That's right, coyotes had a different sort of rank system. She'd have to figure the system out, but it didn't matter that much. It was probably safe to assume every other member of the pack was of a higher rank than her, and it wasn't like she'd be terribly comfortable acting dominant over anyone anyway. What was important was to know who to be extra submissive and polite and careful about. And now she had that information - Kaena's son, Gabriel. It would have been quite a shock to Sofia had she known the true identity of the stranger that had accosted her in Halifax, the scarred and dangerous coyote that came very close to killing her. One son, Gabriel, the leader of a respectable clan; the other, Samael, pinning a young female to a stone wall in a dark and rainy alleyway.

"Are a lot of the members your children?" Curiosity. Somehow the idea made the pack seem more welcoming, more full of potential friends than unknown strangers who might.. well, might be any sort of canine. Regarding choice of residence, Sofia was about to say the mansion sounded nice. But one of the same things that had brought her hear instead of Dahlia de Mai, or Crimson Dreams, stopped her. She was here for something different, not more of the same. The image of her skinny form wasting away in a human bed was also somehow more terrible than one involving a cave. It just wasn't right. They weren't humans. Besides, she was pretty used to sleeping wherever she could, now, and these caves would probably be particularly nice if the clan was using them as an official residence. "I think.. I'd appreciate it if you could show me where the caves are. Which place do you stay?"
[/html]
[html]
--

The hybrid woman knew this was likely the younger hybrid's first venture into the clan lifestyle, and if anything, she was more subject to the wolf ways of thinking. The silvery coyote wondered just vaguely how well Sofi would fit in here, but she supposed that was not her end of the problem. Should the new Tirones find it impossible to integrate with coyote society, it was hardly her own fault. There were two separate worlds for the two canine species, and it was sometimes difficult to migrate from one to the other. Still, it was hardly easy for Kaena to say how well one would enter into Inferni; often hybrid blood made it easier on newcomers, since coyotes were naturally reclusive, and wolves kept to a mores social lifestyle. The question made the hybrid woman smile sadly, and she shook her head.

"All of them were born in Inferni, but just two live here now." The hybrid woman's voice was laced with remorse; some of them were dead, one had been permanently exiled, and the rest... well, who knew? She was lucky enough Razekiel had recently returned to her. The younger canine expressed her preference for the caves, and the silvery woman nodded, at once standing and beginning at a leisurely pace toward the heart of coyote territory. "I live in the caves, myself. At least you'll know which ones always stay dry," the coyote woman said, her eye drawn to the stormy sky once more. Some of the caves flooded out, but if they were inclined to do so, there would already be some water in there. The coyote woman set her pace to slow so Sofi could walk beside her. Her grizzled head turned toward the younger canine even as they made their way forward. "Anything you want to know?" the hybrid asked, referring to Inferni in general and the clan lifestyle.

[/html]
[html]
312 words

Two of Kaena's children lived here. Well, it would be pretty neat to run into them; Sofi wondered what they were like. She'd find out soon enough, probably. "How many puppies have you had, then?" She asked curiously. The choice of the word "all" sounded like there might have been a lot. She was what, seven? Something like that. She could have dozens and dozens of kids, although probably not if only two were around. They were probably older than Sofi herself, full-grown adults in their own right, but maybe there would be some cubs rolling around. Sofia was fond of children, and in a little dark part of herself she was incredibly depressed by the fact that she would never be able to have any of her own. But she didn't acknowledge those parts of her because it was easier just to pretend they didn't exist.

Was there anything that Sofi wanted to know? Dozens of questions tumbled through her mind, many of them sounding trivial and stupid to her internal critic. A concrete, reasonable worry did bubble up, though, and she decided it was worth speaking. "How does Inferni stand with the wolf packs around here? Is there a lot of fighting?" She fell into step beside the silvered hybrid, ignoring the aching in her joints because there wasn't really anything else that she could do about it. Soon she'd have a den of her own, although she'd have to be very careful not to just succumb to exhaustion and sleep. No, food first. "Oh, and is there a, a best place to hunt around here?" Usually pack territories had a couple of good nooks where prey was fat and lazy, at least in her experience. Typically you had to work them out on your own, but maybe Kaena would have a recommendation or two that would narrow her search.

[/html]
[html]
badpost is bad :[

mall-caps;">In Character

The coyote woman did not have to count or consider. There were seventeen of them, though four of them were dead and that left only thirteen of them still alive. The hybrid smiled, thinking of each of them. One might think there were too many for her heart or her head to keep track of, but the lead-furred woman had plenty of room in each for them. "Seventeen. Four have passed on, so thirteen still roam the earth, so far as I know," the coyote said.

The coyote missed the presence of small children, close and warm and furry and tucked close to her body. Each of them had been that way at some point, though now they were already grown, already adults beyond needing their mother. The hybrid woman smiled vaguely at her thoughts, turning back to Sofi at her question, her sable ears pricking up to catch the young woman's words. The question made her smirk, shrugging her shoulders. "Stay away from Dahlia de Mai, our closest neighbor to the west. Phoenix Valley to the south is another you'd do well to avoid—the others, not so much," she said, thinking particularly of friendly Aniwaya and Cour des Miracles.

Inferni had been relatively calm as of late. There had not been much fight or strife, and the hybrid thought that was a good thing. Up until a few weeks ago, their numbers had gone ridiculously thin, and even now—most of their ranks were filled with new coyotes who were unlikely to survive a fight against a more experienced wolf. "We try not to start trouble, but if it comes to us..." she said, trailing off. The hybrid considered her next question, tilting her head to the side. "I like to fish the coast, but if you prefer prey with fur, the forest is your best bet."

The hybrid woman hesitated a moment, turning her scarred head to look at the silvery hybrid, even as they walked. She was quiet a moment, wondering if it was her place—and deciding she didn't care. It wasn't as if Sofi was her responsibility, but the coyote woman felt as if she ought to at least offer to catch her something. And anyway, Kaena could eat something, too. "Are you hungry? I—we—er. We could try to find something?" she said, stopping and starting, unsure if she should even ask such a thing. No reason to make Sofia feel useless. Still, the scarred woman was extending a hand and trying to be nice, and such a thing was rare enough in itself.

[/html]
[html]
nawww, is not bad! 447 words

Seventeen? Wow. If they were all still around, that would be a fairly large pack all on it's own! And some of them probably had kids of their own now, too. It was mind-boggling how much.. history Kaena seemed to carry on her. It weighed heavy on her, and even a casual glance could read it in her scars. She had lived life, she had done things, she had probably even been places when important things were happening. And so while there was a strange connection between the two of them, where Sofia couldn't help but relate so strongly with this female who also expectedr death (even if not as imminently)... There was a jealousy, too. Kaena had what Sofia would never get. Sure, most of this history, this experience, this life was in the past, but Sofi was sure it had been something impressive in it's own time! The scars, the wisdom.. Couldn't come from anything else.

The tips about the various wolf packs somewhat surprised Sofia. Mostly because she had met a wolf or so from most of the packs, and couldn't help but picture the overall personality of the pack as simply an extension of the kindnesses she had seen. Of course, she looked a wolf, and in her encounters she had surely been pegged as one. Dahlia de Mai wasn't terribly surprising with Eliza's cool formality, but Phoenix Valley had the friendly and pleasant Geneva. Thinking of how thoroughly simple prejudice could turn friends to enemies left Sofi with a dark and twisty feeling in the pit of her stomach.

In this weather, the young girl wasn't too sure how much luck she'd have on the coast. Besides, fish tasted.. blah. True, at this level of hungry she would have swallowed fish-flesh as readily as any other meat, but if she had to go through the effort to bring something down she might as well go with the tastier one. It wasn't like hunting rabbits would be any harder than getting ahold of slippery slimey salty fish. Kaena's offer was received with both relief and trepidation. Sofi had a sudden, itchy fear that this would turn out the same way as her attempted hunting with Finn had. But these were packlands. There would be more meat for the catching. Her vivid memory of messing up the hunt a few days ago made her almost wish Kaena hadn't been so delicate about her pride, had just offered to hunt for her. But for all that that was easy to think, it was basically impossible to speak aloud. "Actually yeah.. I was planning on hunting something, company" and assistance would be great. Which way is the forest?"
[/html]
[html]
I loves you. :3 Your description of Kae there in the first couple scentences of the first paragraph is magnificent. <3 I did powerplay them going to the forest to hurry the thread a bit, hope it's alright? Big Grin If not, poke in PM, please.

The coyote woman was mechanically going through the motions of preparing a brand new member of the coyote clan for joining up with their ranks; it had failed to register on her head that Sofi probably didn't have to worry about any packs messing with her. She looked like a wolf, after all; she had a wolf's face and a wolf's body, and it was only Kaena's experience with hybrids in general which had allowed her to first realize such a thing without being told. The hybrid hoped it would not impact the young woman's status in the clan; hopefully, the hybrid woman's scent would be strong enough on the silvery canine to allow her to pass for a full-fledged Inferni coyote, even if she didn't look like one. Jael had problems with that, though he looked almost all-wolf with his pure-white coat and his fiery eyes.

The newest Tirones accepted the offer rather graciously, and a smile lit the scarred hybrid's features. The more the Centurion thought about food, the harder her stomach rumbled, urging her to fell something. Anyway, Sofi was help, even if Kaena didn't want to push her too hard—it was easy enough to scare up a sleeping creature trying to take cover from the rain, after all. "Hugs the southern border," she responded, altering her course just so to head for the thickest part of the woods, where they were most likely to find prey. It was also near the Mansion, and they could hole up there and eat their kill indoors, where it was warm and dry. "The D'Neville Mansion is at the forest's center; we will hunt around its gardens," the hybrid said confidently. The garden attracted all sorts of creatures, and they were likely to inhabit the surrounding woods.

The two hybrids paced themselves easily as the headed for the forest, the plainsland gradually shifting to a thick forest, its underbrush overgrown and completely unkempt. The coyotes and their prey animals had cut stealthy trails and winding paths all throughout it, though, and it was not long before they were walking on one of them, cutting across the occassional swath of undergrowth to hasten their trip. When they had reached the part of the forest Kaena intended as their destination, she turned back to the silvery woman, nodding to her. "I will run around and ahead of you some in that direction, and conceal myself. Keep walking at me, and take it slow—yowl when you scare something up," the coyote said with a grin, and after pausing a moment to allow the silvery hybrid to speak, she disappeared into the underbrush, heading away from Sofia at a quick trot, keeping a wide berth from the straight path the woman was to walk. The last thing she needed was to prematurely scare the prey up.

[/html]
[html]
ooc -
awww, ty. XD. heading to forest is totally fine~ 489 words

ic -
D'Neville Mansion. Sofia tucked that fact away. She liked to know the names of places, but unfortunately most of the time people were not considerate to leave labels. Many of the areas she had explored over the past few months were nameless; she thought of them simply as a conglomeration of scents, or a particularly breathtaking piece of scenery she had witnessed. A couple places were given make-shift names by the hybrid, just so she could have a more specific mental pointer. Like the beach with lots of crabs, it was Crab Beach, no matter what anyone might claim otherwise. That was another problem with names; who had the right to give them? It seemed strange that they were able to stick to anything other than packs and locations within pack territories.

It seemed a little strange to hunt in a garden; the gardens of Sofia's memories all consisted of carefully tended fruits and vegetables. She had spent a fair bit of last summer tending to some of the fragile little plants. Few animals had been stupid enough to ignore the heavy scent of wolf and try to forage. Of course, she followed Kaena anyway. This was a different place populated by a different sort of canine. The younger girl was sure that her.. leader, now, knew what she was doing. They entered the forest, and Kaena led them to a specific part of it. It seemed the sort of place that Sofi could get lost in easily if she wasn't careful; she didn't see any sort of distinct markers, but those were also the sort of things that you learned over time. Time she wouldn't necessarily have.. She shook off the dark thought, letting it slide over her like water on oil.

Hopefully she wouldn't mess this up, like she had messed up the hunt with Finn.. It was possible Sofi could do this fine. There wasn't any signal for her to misread. She just scared something up, and called it out when it happened. Simple. So simple. Why, then, was her heart beating faster with nerves? Helpful or not, it was so much more terrifying to hunt with other people. If she messed up, it wasn't just her going hungry. Worry made her terse; when Kaena explained what she expected from Sofia, the younger girl merely nodded and gave a short, determined "Alright."

She waited, trying to give Kaena enough time to get around to the other side. After she thought enough time had passed, Sofia stood up and walked slowly, carefully, along the path that had been indicated. Every step caught her breath in her throat, but.. nothing, yet. Except then, somehow almost catching her off-guard, there was a rustle in the brush and something jolted forward, heading exactly away from Sofia. The girl barked hurriedly, then twice. Hopefully she had been quick enough to react that Kaena would have the warning she needed to make the kill.
[/html]
[html]
http://digital-bonsai.com/katew/rp/kae/kae_bloody.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:230px; padding-left:15px; padding-right:15px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Big Grin

The silvery coyote was an efficient hunter of small game, and she excelled at preying on things smaller than the average beaver. Rodents were a favorite meal for when she hunted by herself; they were small but ridiculously easy to catch for the coyote woman, and satisfying enough if eaten in pairs. It would have been far easier to sate herself and eat more than once by bringing down a deer, but the hybrid woman had less luck with those than she did the smaller variety of prey animals. Of course, her forte was fishing—the hybrid coyote could fish up anything out of the sea, and the inlet of Inferni, with its rocks and shallow tidepools, was perfect for her particular style, which had been perfected in the years scratching a living on the old beach. There, the fish had been their most staple food supply—if the coyotes of the old beach had wanted anything larger than the occasional rabbit that wandered to their sparse strip of forest, they had to travel to the mountains. Perhaps that was why hunts had been so far and few between.

Trotting through the underbrush, the hybrid kept her senses attuned to the greenery around her, her ears at alert for the slightest sounds of movement in the hundred or so feet of forest between herself and Sofi. Truthfully, this was one of the few hunting patterns viable with two canines, though it certainly had the possibility of failing if the prey animal veered to the left or right. However, Kaena had left more than enough distance, and she ceased moving after a while, having located Sofi's position, keeping herself just to the right of the woman, hoping the creature would flee away from the house and to the deeper part of the forest. Distinct noises told Kaena Sofi had succeeded in the first part of their mission, and now it was up to her to bring it down. Freezing where she was, the hybrid took just an instant to ascertain the prey animal's path, still uncertain as to what it was, and moved quickly in that direction, still attempting to conceal herself while the prey itself charged toward her, unknowing of the canine lying in wait.

A sharp series of growls and grunts echoed through the garden, followed by a distinctive gurgling noise. Kaena lay half on top of a small goat, her jaws sunk into its throat, choking the life from it. Some of the domesticated ones that had lived in the sprawling farmlands had moved to Halcyon Mountain, finding its rocky, rough terrain perfect to their liking. This one was hardly old enough to be so distant from his mother, and Kaena assumed they had been separated, and this small thing had wandered down the mountains into coyote territory. She had never seen one here before, anyway—but she knew what a goat was and also that it was quite edible. Picking the thing up, the hybrid headed back toward Sofi, moving quickly toward the silver hybrid, the pale-furred thing clutched tightly in her jaws, red staining its throat. "Shall we?" she mumbled through the creature's flesh, jerking her head toward the mansion, figuring they could head inside to eat.

thanks to james for the header image
[/html]