one broken cog to ravage the machine.
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... achine.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:205px; background-position:top center; background-color:#0F1110; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#ffffff; line-height:16px">
        Time was a funny and fickle beast; though most would remark it was a rather simple, linear, straightforward thing, Anselm would be forced to disagree after the past month. It'd been nearly that long since his daughter had left him, though it had seemingly passed in the blink of an eye. Though he managed to release an explosive amount of frustration over her (maybe not so abrupt) departure, he'd since found his mind awash with what ifs and maybes.
        Maybe he should have seen it coming. He'd scarcely noticed her around after their reunion; what if he'd gone out of his way to see her more? To add insult to injury, it seemed as if Valkyrie was gone for good, too. Once more, he couldn't help but chastise himself for his lack of involvement in the girls' lives--the real clincher, of course, was that he knew Val and Ryan had left separately. Perhaps he'd worry for both less if they'd left with one another's company to share. Maybe the youth had managed to track down her mother--it was really the best he could hope for.

Throughout all of it, he couldn't help but shake one mental image from his mind. Strangely, it had nothing to do with either of his progeny, but instead one whom may very well have been the mother of Inferni herself: Kaena. He'd been there to witness her and Razekiel's reconciliation, and he couldn't help but wonder how many times her children had drifted away from her before--only to return again, sometimes inexplicably several years later.

What was that like for her? For her, her children were constants in her mind--not hazy, vague ideas stemming from hazy, vague evenings with many, many partners. They'd always been a part of her life and surely it pained her when they left. He hadn't even been aware of his own children's existence until about two years ago and he couldn't pin down how he was supposed to feel, if he were to feel anything at all. Increasingly it grew harder to distinguish between the anguish of his loss and the self-directed abuse for being so blatantly incompetent.
        Though he had been completing his rounds over the past fortnight since Razekiel had shown up on the borders, he hadn't talked to anyone since. Deliberately he found himself weaving away from the freshest of trails, though many piqued his curiosity for they were not recognisable. There'd been a flux of joiners, it seemed, which was great news for Inferni--though it did little to sooth his personally broken spirit. Even now, a new recruit's scent seemed interwoven with the second-in-command's. With quick resolve, he moved along in a dejected trot as he sought out the grizzled matron.

Sorry it took me forever and a day to start this. x: Lemme know if you want the powerplay changed.
[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/kae_razor.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Bahah. XD No worries. I feel like I've done fifty joining threads in three days. XD Not that it's ever a bad thing! And I powerplay, that since Anselm & Kae strung him up together, he'd have called him Bastardo, where she picked up the habit. XDDD We should make everyone do eet.

The hybrid woman was headed away from the borders herself, having just finished accepting another new face to their midst—one Armistice Shanti. The cream-colored coyote had made a rather good impression on Kaena, and she had gone so far as to mention Anselm himself to the newest acceptee to Inferni's ranks. The fresh Tirones had professed to have exploratory skills in the same line as the Caelum, and Kaena rather imagined the two would make quite a good pair. He was also a hybrid, which was just a passing fact in the Centurion's head anymore—many of their ranks were, and amongst them they had perhaps two or three whole-blooded coyotes.

This was a good thing in Kaena's opinion. The more muddled blood, the better—that way the wolves would have less resolve to hate them. It pained her to think of strengthening themselves against wolves by using wolf blood. Then again, it was the same line of thinking as the skulls—their size and shape made the skulls unmistakable as canis lupus, and they prided themselves in their keeping. Bastardo, as she had taken to calling the lone wolf who had traipsed on their land and broken their bones—not their actual bones, their ornamental ones—had made quite the addition to their decor.

Kaena detected sounds behind her, and she turned, waiting to meet whoever it was. There were many more new faces on their territory these days, and from the simple sounds of a comfortable gait Kaena could only determine it was one of their own. The sun was setting now, and shadows were streaking across the forest, devouring the moving figure within them. There was a flash of red eyes, and a wolfish face. Anselm. Despite her easy prior mention of the coyote, the hybrid woman could not help but think of their encounter in the city now. She wondered what the hybrid thought of her and Jacq; if it hadn't been obvious from their easy regard of each other, their lusty gazes and general innuendo as the night wore on had certainly clued him in. It really wasn't his business, no, but the hybrid woman wondered if he'd given it a second though. Jacq was, after all, King of Cour des Miracles, a wolf pack nonetheless, though hardly one Inferni could consider threatening.

The leaden hybrid gave no outward indication of her thoughts, and she greeted her friend with a rather easy smile, her single brilliant eye meeting his crimson gaze for a moment, fading quickly as she determined his sour mood. Kae herself became more somber, straightening up and approaching him with a murmur in her throat, a growl that dissolved into a whine. "You're looking sour," the coyote commented, settling down to her rear in an invitation for him to lay it on her. They were friends, after all, and if there was something Kaena could do to ease his ill mood, she would help him where she could. The hybrid leaned forward a bit, peering toward her comrade with her striking golden eye, wondering what had gotten him to carry such a bothered face.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bottom.png); background-color:#5A5C5A">

» yar, sometimes they're nice 'cause they keep moving/resolve quickly. And yea, no problem! :]

When it came to consensual sex, Anselm really couldn't be bothered to give two hoots about what other people did. The overwhelming majority of his encounters had been strictly recreational in nature, and he saw nothing wrong with desiring some hot and steamy companionship once in awhile. Initially the age gap had struck him a bit queerly, though the fact that Kaena was going on a decade didn't leave her with many options. Not many of their species made it even half as long as she did--her age alone was a great proclamation of her skill and prowess in battle (and life in general).

Eventually he wondered if he was just jealous--he hoped he could still attract sprightly young ladies well into his later years. (If only he'd known of her relationship with Ahren--generally "two" was the magic number for him, and anything lower was getting to be inappropriate.) Personal codes of decency aside, Anselm had always enjoyed his encounters with Miracles hybrids in the past. The pack was seemingly as influenced by dog blood as Inferni was by coyote--in some way, then, he felt a kind of kinship with the animals. Though they'd struck him as maybe a tad naive, they'd always taken him seriously and been far from objectionable.

Needless to say, it was not sex on his mind at the moment, but rather the products of it. Eventually he managed to catch up with the woman, who'd paused in her steps to meet him. Though she seemed to pick up on the battered energy that surrounded him at once, she offered a smile and patiently took a seat. This gesture alone was enough to lift his mood; he returned the smile with a small laugh, shaking his head. "Yea; it's been a long month. Seems like things ought to be looking up for the clan though, eh?" he mused, feeling it unnecessary to instantly badger her with his own personal woes.
      He sincerely appreciated the opportunity to discuss his issues with anyone at all--most often in the past, he was forced to bear the weight of his troubles alone. Taking a seat a comfortable distance nearby, his head inclined just a bit. "Any of the newcomers anyone you already knew?" he wondered somewhat unsteadily--this was his best attempt at a segue into the topics he actually wished to discuss. Maybe she'd pick up on where he was going immediately; she'd been around for some time before he'd drifted back to the border, and presumably she knew of his relationship with Ryan and Valkyrie even though they'd never discussed it directly in the past.

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/kae_razor.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
    The hybrid woman did not consider age often, as was clearly evident from her pursuits. The closest in age had been Zulifer, right in line with her own age. From there, the gap only seemed to widen, dancing on indecency with Ahren. She had thought of that, giving him children so early in life, maybe it was wrong—but it was long in the past now, and she would hardly forsake her de le Poer children given the chance to go back and do things over again. She didn't know Jacq's exact age, but there was at least five years between them. It hardly bothered her; she had certainly enjoyed their encounter and she would leap at the chance to repeat it. Except for Fatin. The hybrid woman kicked herself inwardly as she thought of the russet female. She still hadn't resolved that particular conflict.

The man's spirits seemed to lift a little with her presence, which was a good sign to the silvery hybrid. He wasn't so down he couldn't still smile. She nodded in agreement, thinking of their many new faces. The hybrid woman wondered how many would stay; the coyote clan seemed to suffer from drifters' syndrome, and the hybrid woman did not expect more than three would ascend to the Immunes ranks before they left again. It was a disheartening thought, but the hybrid woman could always be proven wrong. There were quite a few of them, after all. "It'd sure seem so. Our numbers have picked up, at least," she said brightly. There was no reason to have reservations about any of their new faces—none had given her reason to suspect they would flounce off again, otherwise they would not have gained rank amongst them. Of any of them, the hybrid woman hoped Razekiel would remain most of all.

His question confused her for a moment, for Anselm had certainly been present for Razekiel's return. It occurred to her, then, that he might have been asking about his own ilk. She had met Ryan previously, and the woman had mentioned her relation to Anselm. Prior to that, she had met Valkyrie, and through that meeting she knew of that youth's relation to Anselm in turn. Frowning, the hybrid shook her head. "Aside from Razekiel, no," she said, the apology apparent on her face. "Do you know why they left?" the coyote asked cautiously. She only knew that Ryan had gone, other than that the circumstances behind her promotion were unknown to the hybrid woman.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... e_base.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:130px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#EFEEEC">

» -likes that quote in your table.- what's it from? o:

Anselm reckoned it was about time to meet up with the newest recruits; of their newest eight, he'd only been acquainted with two. Despite their rough, unorthodox meeting, he actually liked Hezekiah a fair deal. He only hoped the rest of them were as level headed as the tawny boy--he didn't worry about his "step-cousin" Razekiel, either. The dark hippie seemed far more likely to dope the leaders of other packs than to attack them, which presumably meant less drama for Inferni.

That left about half a dozen that he had no clue about... though odds were they couldn't possibly be worse than Hybrid. "Anything particularly notable?" he wondered; even now, he had a rough time forsaking business for the sake of his personal problems. He wouldn't mind having a run-down on faces, names, and general first impressions from the Centurion--perhaps as Caelum he'd do better to just keep on top of things himself, though he hoped his friend wouldn't mind tossing him a bone as he tried to pick up the slack that had grown and metamorphosed into something borderline unmanageable.

He couldn't retreat from his problems forever, though; in a way, she was helping him to confront them rather than just brush them off for "later" like he usually did. "Well... I don't know. Ryan left a note at the Mansion. Said something about needing to follow her heart. Maybe she ran off to be with that boy from Phoenix Valley.. I heard their relationship was causing all sorts of headaches," he said, red eyes catching her yellow in question for a moment before glancing back away, off to the side. "I can only assume Valkyrie left to find her mother."
      A long sigh. "I can't help but think if I'd been here for her earlier, she wouldn't be gone now. I guess I was waiting for Valkyrie to seek me out, too, but instead she left... not surprising since she barely knew me." His voice, usually a rumbling monotone, had grown softer, weaker. His eyes glistened a bit in the fading light, though no tears fell. "I don't know. You... Gabriel... you guys make it look so easy and natural, but I'm puttering around without a fucking clue and by the time I get one, it's always too late."
      And there it was. A soft, pleading whine rose and died in his throat--it was quite clear he was very down on himself, and pretty much anything she could offer he was willing to take to heart so he could try to turn things around. He knew nothing about parenting, obviously, but he did know that his current frame of mind sucked. Truth be told, it was the first time he'd ever felt like he lost someone he cared about--he was just too thick to notice or realise it was supposed to feel that way.
[/html]
[html]
A Flogging Molly song! I forget which, but it's on their newest CD, "Float." Big Grin

The coyote woman gave a half-hearted shrug of her shoulders. None had stood out exceptionally from the others, and it would seem they were all on about the same level."All in good condition," she said. "There's a good variety of skills. I suggested to the very newest, Armistice, to seek you out. He said he liked to explore," the coyote said with a smile. Perhaps if Anselm was feeling up to it, he could immerse himself in work; it generally helped to keep the mind on busy tasks, otherwise ennui simply gave ill thoughts time to brew and sour.

The coyote woman knew nothing of DaVinci, and if she had she would have disapproved of him just as strongly as others had. He was a good-for-nothing little brat, and Kaena could not see what Ryan could have seen in him. She'd encountered him twice thus far, and both times she'd been mocked, and both times she'd tasted his blood for it. Simple, really—but the hybrid woman would have kept her mouth shut, unless the auburn coyote had flaunted their relationship, which had not seemed to. The ash-colored female was not unfamiliar with liasons that nobody else seemed to approve of, but she had a rather personal reason to dislike DaVinci. Still, this did not register on her head as Anselm spoke.

In the minutes of his speech the coyote remained silent and contemplative, listening with care as he spoke. The hybrid woman hardly knew the specifics of his relationship with his family, although she had gotten the impression things were somewhat strained. Then again, looking at how Kaena and Gabriel had acted toward each other on occasion, one could hardly call their relationship absolutely peaceful. "You know that I have had many children. All of which were born in Inferni—every last one. How many remain now? Two? Three?" the hybrid shook her head. The numbers spoke the loudest, and her kin were growing scarce.

"But with Razekiel's return, I can tell you that all but one other has returned to me at some point," the hybrid woman said, thinking of Conway. "I do not think that will be the last of either of them you see," the hybrid added reassuringly. "It's not easy." The coyote's voice took on a new sort of tone to it with this last statement, thinking of Kerberos and Maeryn. Oh, what she'd thrown away there. "It only seems it because I've had practice now. I was not a good mother to my first-born children." It was difficult for Kaena to admit failure, but here was one of her most glaring errors.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... ce_top.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:135px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#CDCEC8; text-align:justify; font-family:times; font-size:12px; line-height:13px; color:#9C1900;">
      Though both Gabriel and Kaena excelled at securing their own border, Anselm wasn't entirely sure how many of the other coyotes bothered to scout out any of the other surrounding packs. Although some assistance may have been nice, he largely viewed this as a good thing--acting as a spy required a certain level of finesse he just couldn't give some of them credit for. Folks like Hybrid or Samael were more likely to go berserk and attack than talk their way out of a situation, which could lead to obvious problems. The tattooed hybrid had agreed to mentor another wolf look-a-like once upon a time--Kaena's grandson, Jael--though it seemed as if his would-be apprentice had faded into the background and drifted elsewhere. "Might be nice to have another set of eyes and ears beyond our border," he mused in agreement with her plan, "especially for those with a mind for staying out of direct trouble." He didn't think she'd even suggest a loose-cannon of a partner to him, but it seemed like a sound idea to voice any potential concerns aloud.

Her next sentences affected him far greater than most arguments others had presented to him in the past. They often appeared to understand one another on a fundamental level, and though they'd hardly spent much time in one another's company, she seemed to understand that an argument of statistics and logic would hold more sway with him than an appeal to raw emotion. The knowledge that they had returned at some point or another caused his tail to subconsciously swing behind him--perhaps it was fine that children dispersed. Part of being a good parent was preparing them to face the world on their own. Their genes could never spread if they stayed highly localised, anyway. Even though he hadn't done much as far as child-rearing, he supposed he could write it off as "the supply of good genes." "You're right. Ryan's a strong girl and she was fine long before she found me in the first place. If anything I worry about Valkyrie... but if she found her mother, they'll both be fine. And she knows where to find us if she needs to," he contemplated, biting his lip slightly in thought.

Practise, eh? That all seemed well and good, but Anselm wasn't sure he'd ever have a real opportunity to practise. Most of his kids had been developed, born, and raised in his absence. The mechanics of breeding prevented her from empathising on this level, he supposed--at least she always knew that they existed, approximately where, etc. "I don't know. Last year I left to try to find all my kids... I found a few of them, three or four litters at least. Most of them didn't want me anyway.. Ryan's the only one that ever really bothered to seek me out and one of two that accepted me at all. I guess I just feel like a let-down to the only one who might have cared... though she never said as much... guess it's just on a personal level, y'know?" Would she know? Would anybody know? Anselm wasn't sure he'd ever seen such a non-traditional, dysfunctional family before his own.
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bottom.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:140px; background-position:top center; line-height:12px; ">
Oh boy! -Finally has enough time to temporarily ignore future deadlines looming overhead and clean the apartment/shower/try to post.- x_______X;
[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/epidemic.gif); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:226px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Wow, fail for not having this thread on my log. :/

The coyote woman was pretty satisfied with Inferni's level of defense; they had their strong, well-marked borders. You had to be stupid or just crazy not to notice the skulls dangling from the trees and placed oh-so-casually on pikes, after all. Then there were the scent-borders, which they made sure to keep up quite well with. The hybrid woman didn't suspect anybody would or could try to enter their territory through the inlet, unless of course, they had a boat. The coyote nodded, and grinned. "Of course. No use being sneaky if everybody knows your name and your face," she said almost cheerily.

The silvery Centurion often wondered when she would see some of her lost and forgotten children again; it had been a long time since Kaena had seen some of them. She still wondered what had become of her eldest, Kerberos, who had not shown face since Gabriel was a young child. The hybrid coyote supposed that was entirely her fault; what connection did Kerberos have to Kaena, anyway? The hybrid woman had hardly been a mother to the poor boy, and he was the only remnant of Zulifer Yfel left anywhere in the world. "The world isn't such a large place, and a mother and child have a special kind of bond. I think they will find each other out there," the coyote said, smiling and almost wishing the same could be said for Eris and herself. Whatever bond had existed between those two had certainly shattered.

The coyote did not know Anselm had family extending beyond Ryan and Valkyrie; it intrigued her to learn this. The de le Poer line had continued somewhere else, it seemed—or several somewhere elses, if she understood Anselm correctly. The hybrid appeared contemplative, churning his words over in her head before offering her reply. "At least you sought them out to make an offer—and I'm sure the rest of your children know it still stands. Someday they might come. Attitudes change, minds change," the coyote said. "Besides, I do think Ryan considers this place home, and if that is the truth, she will return to you," the coyote added, confident of this. So long as Anselm remained accessible and here, he would see his daughter again.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... enchfd.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:230px; background-position:top center; background-color:#000000; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#E8E7E5; line-height:16px">
        He drank in her words slowly, carefully, meticulously as always. For a split second his thoughts diverged as he tried to decide whether he agreed with her statement or not--in the sense that the sky stretched on forever to the stars, he supposed she was correct, although in some fundamental, practical sense he wasn't too sure. He'd met at least four women who hailed from overseas--given two were siblings from Italy, and he reckoned it wasn't as statistically significant for the sisters to either travel together or for one to knowingly seek out the other after their initial departure. A third had not traversed the seas of liquid water by boat, but the frozen, icy bridges of the north. That meant that a minimum of two trans-Atlantic voyages had taken place in recent history--which, frankly, was more than he expected, but that made neither journey seem particularly fun or trivial.

He liked to think that Valkyrie had tracked after her mother and kept the trail; he did not really want to consider the possibility that poor weather may have thrown her off course and irrevocably sent them drifting away from one another in separate directions. Quickly, his mind concluded that he would simply trust her instincts on this one: no matter what happened, it was the most peaceable solution. What grounds did he have to question paternal advice at all, especially where mothers were concerned? He'd never even seen any of the women he'd been with mother his children--as far as he was concerned, the whole process was some kind of voodoo female magic.

With what she said next, though, he found himself emphatically and whole-heartedly agreeing--she was right. "I suppose you're right; can't turn back time, but can always rewind the watch, eh? I'll be here when they get back." Even though it was not directly in his words, in his tone of voice alone there was thanks (mingled with relief). For all of the fuss, the conclusion now seemed rather simple. It was certainly nice to have input from a neutral, outside perspective, he reminded himself--without her to kick his mind out of the infinite loop, he'd probably be mulling over the situation still, rather than making references to peculiar human devices she may have never even seen before.

I HAVE A CUTE IDEA. But I don't know if it'll pan out or not. ): -Will see if you go along with it.- ;D
[/html]
[html]
WUTWUT? :O

Kaena often missed her own children, thinking where they might have spread, where they might have gone—how far had they all traveled? The coyote woman missed her children sorely and quite often, but at least she was secure in the knowledge that they knew where to find her if they sought her own. True, she'd been absent for quite some time, but even then, Gabriel had been here to receive his siblings and half-siblings. Gabriel had remained here to carry on the Lykois into the next generations, taking the torch from his mother and carrying it onward. For that alone, the coyote woman would always be grateful, though there were many more reasons to love her golden son. In truth, she hardly needed a reason—until he gave her a reason not to love him, as Vitium had, the hybrid would remain in her devotion.

Though Anselm had seemed rather down when they'd first encountered each other, his mood seemed to be lifting as the conversation progressed, and for that the hybrid was glad. She considered him a friend, and she didn't like to see friends with heavy hearts, so where she could help, she would. The hybrid grinned at his words, though she didn't know why one would rewind a watch. The only kind she'd ever seen were broken modern-styled ones, the digital type that no longer displayed numbers properly. "The past is the past," she agreed with a nod. "I'll hold you to that," she said with a grin, referring of course to his assertion that he would remain here in wait for them.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... /crash.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:225px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#000000; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#8E9B94; line-height:16px">
close enough. xD let me know if you want pp changed. good thread! i'm sure it's only a matter of time before we have another ;D
@&#&$His grin reflected her own, and for the first time his tail gave two genuinely enthusiastic wags. "Yeah..." he trailed off in vague agreement. With that a silence settled in, though it was not tinged by awkwardness or discomfort. There was something to be said for their level of closeness, in that they could simply be in one another's presence and not feel compelled to fill the air between them with words. His facial features lifted, though, and he cocked his head at her curiously before rising to his feet. "Hey, I really appreciate this. I've got an idea."
@&#&$Without waiting for a real response or confirmation of interest, he rose and began at an easy lope toward the Caves. When he reached his own den he offered her a quick wink before disappearing inside; he returned several moments later with an old, golden pocket watch dangling loosely from his jaws--a fitting trinket, perhaps, for his previous allusion. Even now the device ticked quietly away, oblivious to the fact its original creators were now little more than dust and fertiliser for plants.
@&#&$Anselm had synchronised it at high noon once. From his perspective, it was really quite amazing how it managed to keep time with the natural flow of the day--though its variance with the seasons was somewhat peculiar. It was strange to consider that the sun did not rise at the same time every day of the year, but it was only through this watch that he had learned nature was not so simple a machine. It actually varied across a two or three hour span, as did sunset.
@&#&$Maybe it was a cheesy gift, but he had always liked the stupid thing and he thought it might be a fitting symbol of their friendship. In such a short time they'd grown awfully (almost automatically) close. "Here, I want you to have this. Just try not to get it wet, and it'll keep chugging indefinitely, I think." He shrugged a little as he stepped forward and managed to wrangle the chain over her neck, then stepped back and offered an awkward smile. And then there was nothing to do but keep moving forward, much as both hybrids had done for their entire lives. "Thanks again, Kaena. Have a good one," with that, he offered a bow of his head before retreating back inside for the night.
[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/epidemic.gif); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:226px; padding-left:25px; padding-right:25px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Dawwww. Kae should give Anselm a tattoo as a gift. XD

The hybrid woman was glad to see her friend's spirits lift up; she was quite familiar with his pain and she did not like it one bit, so she could not imagine any other creature appreciating it. It was one thing to be separate from one's children by their own choice; that seemed natural. Children were given to wandering when they hit a certain age; that was simply par for the course. But Anselm had not been around for Ryan's childhood, so Kaena had gathered, so perhaps it was a greater blow to be teased with the promise of a stable relationship with his daughter, only to have it yanked away again. The hybrid woman could very well be subject to the same thing herself, someday—hadn't she walked away from Rachias and Arkham, after all?

The silvery coyote was intrigued by Anselm's request, so she hopped to her feet and followed after him quickly, meandering in the direction of the caves with him. They weren't far, and the hybrid waited beyond his door, peering curiously toward the shadow where Anselm had disappeared off to. The coyotes were extremely territorial and possessive of their own space when it came to outsiders, and Kaena was not keen to find out if that same protective instinct extended to expressly personal space. After all, Kae wouldn't have enjoyed an uninvited intrusion, no matter who was doing the intruding. The coyote waited, watching as the wolf hybrid reappeared a moment later, something shining and gold in his mouth.

The hybrid listened to his explanation and dipped her head for him to place it around her neck, picking it up from her chest as soon as it had landed there, her yellow eye flaring upwards in confusion for a moment as Anselm said his good-bye for the evening and made his retreat, scarcely in time for Kaena to utter her thanks. "Thank you," she called, though she still wasn't absolutely certain what it was he'd given her. Studying the face of the watch, realization dawned on her, and a slow, simple smile spread across the Centurion's face. A watch—Anselm given her time, perhaps not in the very form she desired, but ridiculously appropriate nonetheless. Time stretched behind and in front of then indefinitely, and the hybrid was certainly still trapped in the past.

[/html]