it's hardest hue to hold
[html]
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ ... dencsl.gif); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

“BAAANEEEESH!”
    The high-pitched cry rose and fell against the empty sky, with no response. Frustrated, Gabriel let out a melodramatic sigh, and continued on. He had been looking for his brother for what felt like forever. The safety of the shore had been left behind, because his brave ol’ brother had to go out and explore. Baneesh was always exploring, and Gabriel always had to catch up with him. They were inseparable, and this was no exception. The last time they had gone off on an adventure they had almost died, and man, that was awesome! Of course, Baneesh couldn’t take all the glory, so Gabriel was off to find him.
    Large paws (far too large for his body), took him along with a steady ‘thump thump’, trotting in the doggish pattern that had not become present in his coat. Far from this, Gabriel looked almost exactly like a coyote—except for his build, which was still small (but showing signs it would become large). Tawny gold, the boy continued along his way, sniffing for any sign of his lost brother.

[/html]
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... emppup.png); background-color:#3e447d; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">

OOC: Hello :3 Nobody was replying in the Time Warp thread I made, so I hope you don't mind me leaping into yours!

Dainty paws (admittedly a little too large for her body, but hey, nobody REALLY notices those things... Right? Besides, papa said they'd be real elegant when she grew into them) trotted with painstaking silence over the scraggly carpet of tundra. Fluffy plume had long since sank to half-mast, and brilliant emerald eyes with their strange inverted colors were e'er so slightly shaded by wisps of uncertainty. She'd been walking for quite a while, and her feet hurt, and the sun was hot, and it was really quiet... With a soft huff of dismay, the little princess paused in the shade of a rather large scrub, and sat for a moment to consider her dilemma.

She'd been told not to wander... But that was only 'cause papa thought she was too little and precious to wander about on her own. Bah! She was big and strong, just like her papa, and he was just jealous that she was prettier, too. So naturally, the only option she'd had was to disobey his instructions and leave the territory, if only for a little while. It's for the best... He needs to learn not to boss me around! But it really was quite dull away from the den. The sun, a great baleful glowing orb, watched her with a disheartening glare, and the pretty miss found herself withering under it's heat.

" Styoopid sun... Go pick on sumbahdy your own size!"

Her voice, even in youth, had such beauty and sweetness of tone that it was obvious she would be a good singer. Everybody said so, and Alaine had lapped that talent up like she was born to it. Satisfied that she'd told the weather off substantially, the cream puff finally rose again, and stepped out from the safety of the shade into the heat once more. Maybe she should head home, now... I bet papa's worrying about me already. He's probably learn'd his lesson by now. With that in mind, the young girl figured she would head home. Except, well... Which way was home? Everything looked the same out here, and she could no longer smell the salty air of the ocean that would guide her way back. Suddenly, feeling very, very small, Alaine crouched to the ground, and began to slink in a direction she hoped would be fruitful.

The cry caught her off guard, a shrill call from a voice that sounded just as young as hers. Curiosity piqued, the young collie's head jerked up and in the direction of the sound, her little pink nose twitching eagerly. Mebbe whoever that is can help me! With a few eager bounds, she stumbled over some dry-leafed plants, and staggered right into the path of the boy. In her hastiness, the pup did not see a final root, and it shot her paws out from under her. Landing with an undignified OOF!, and now completely vulnerable in her ignorance, the whelp cast watering emerald eyes up to the golden-pelted stranger.

Oh no... Was that a COYOTE?!

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ ... dencsl.gif); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
It's all good! I've been wanting a thread with you, actually. :]

There was a rustling of noise to his right, and both of Gabriel’s oversize ears turned to the sound. It had only been a few weeks since his ears had begun to stand completely upright, and now that they had he looked completely ridiculous. They, and his tail, were the only parts of his body that bore tell-tale markings of the charcoal it would one day carry. Every other part of his body was a pale tan-gold.
    “Baneesh?” He managed to ask seconds before the girl came tumbling out of the plants. Gabriel’s fur rose, humorous in its puppy state, and his eyes widened dramatically. Instead of his brother, there was a…well, she didn’t look like a wolf (but then again, he had only ever seen one wolf) but what else could she be! Remembering his mother’s training, the boy pulled back his lips, revealing sharp puppy teeth. “You’re not Baneesh!”

[/html]
[html]
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... emppup.png); background-color:#3e447d; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">

OOC: Yay! Thanks :3

The strange coyote boy returned her look of shocked horror, and for a moment, Alaine figured that perhaps he wasn't one of those terrible 'yote killers that her pa had warned her about. But then the stranger seemed to transfer into something bigger and scarier; His little puppy hair all stood up, and his teeth writhed at her in aggression. Something was said, but the name mentioned was unfamiliar, and the coyote accent strong enough that the collie girl barely understood.

She whimpered to the e'er so slightly older boy, though they were much the same size, before quickly lifting to her four feet once more.

" I didn't do anything! Stop growling at me, please! It's quite rude."

Angelic little voice suddenly seemed stained with impatience. Sure, she had been scared, but now that she was standing up and could see they were roughly the same size, brisk annoyance seemed to best fit the girl's petite features. She stiffened proudly, managed to shoot the boy a rather baleful glare from her emerald eyes.

" Besides, YOU'RE a coyote. You are the bad guy here!"

Accented voice wavered slightly. Pa said that all 'yotes were real dangerous, and if she saw one, she was to hide away real quickly. But this boy was all alone, and, well... With his great big ears, and his skinny little legs, he didn't really look to frightening up close. Peering at him, Alaine deduced that perhaps, once he stopped being such a boyish numskull and put his teeth away, he might be able to help her. Head tilted curiously, her soft floppy ears tilting in interest.

" Who's Baneesh?"

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]

The fact she wasn’t afraid of him made all of the spitfire flush out of his system. Of course. Mom had said they weren’t big enough to scare anyone, even though Baneesh told him otherwise. Maybe he was wrong. Though his fur fell and his teeth were put away, there remained the faintest amber flame in his eyes, which were now soaked in disappointment. His sisters had usually whined the way she was, but he and Baneesh and Molochai could just shut them up.
    Only when she called him a coyote, called him a bad guy, did the wickness come back to his face. Pushing his chest out, the boy stomped towards her, and stuck his nose against her own. “I am not a bad guy! You’re just a stupidhead wolf thing!” Then, frowning, he sat on his rump. “Baneesh is my brother,” he explained, exasperated. “He and I were gonna go exploring but he got lost aaagaaaain,” Gabriel dragged out, finding the whole situation completely ridiculous.

[/html]
[html]

OOC: xD I wanna draw that scene right there!

When she spoke, the other boy seemed to shrink back into his normal size, and Alaine felt her pride swell sufficiently. Yeah, them 'yotes were just no-good cowards, like her Papa said. Only wanting' to 'stab people in the back', when they aren't looking. The little girl eyed him suspiciously when he rose, but was too shocked to move when the boy strode right up, and pushed his face against hers. With a surprised and indignant huff, she fell to her rump, a sitting position that the angry puppy opposite soon mirrored.

" I am not a wolf. Just look at me! I'm far too pretty to be a wolf." With pride befitting a princess, Alaine swelled out her downy cream chest, placed one paw over her heart, " I'mma dog, silly. Just like my pa. We're really clever and beautiful, we dogs are."

She spoke benevolently, strange inverted eyes of brilliant emerald peering at the other child to make sure he was listening. He had such big ears, he should be a real good listener! But what was all that about his brother?

" Baneesh is a weird name. My name is Alaine Winters. That's what a dog's name sounds like. Whats your name, 'yote? Maybe, if you promise not to 'stab me in the back' -whatever that means - I'll help you find your brother."

Pretty little voice spilled out in a girly babble, her face animated with various emotions. She couldn't ask him directly for help, because she wouldn't admit that she was lost... That would be awful embarrassing, especially infront of a coyote!

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]
Do it! Augh, it's so hard writing for Gabe as a puppy, I never played him like this. XD

Gabriel was by no means afraid of her, but it upset him, the way she talked. The fact that he did not understand ‘tone’ as it applied to vocabulary was a hindrance. They were both on the ground, and she explained she was a ‘dog’, whatever that was, and that they were beautiful and clever. Gabriel smiled thinly, a very coyote grin. “You’re weird looking,” he stated plainly, and lifted his head.
    I’m Gabriel de le Poer,” he pronounced his surname perfectly, proud of his father’s name (despite his wolfish heritage). They were a pair; prince and princess, with their butts in the dirt. At her insinuation, Gabriel let out a huff, having been taught enough to know exactly what that meant. “I don’t need your help. You don’t like coyotes and my momma said that people who don’t like coyotes are mean jerkfaces.” And with that, he was on his feet again.

[/html]
[html]

OOC: I so am, right now xD And I know what you mean! DIFFICULT. But fun :3

With an offended sniff, Alaine let her paw fall back to the earth in a little puppy stamp of disapproval. She was NOT weird looking, HE was! But never-mind that now, for it seemed she'd insulted Gabe... Gabrielle... Dee... Lah... Oh, whatever his name was. The boy had gotten to his feet, and seemed about to storm away. The little cream miss hastily clambered to her own, and leaped to his side with a buoyant bound.

" I'm not a... A Jerkface, I swear! I didn't mean to upset you, Gabr-... Gabe." Pride stinging, because she really didn't want him to go off and leave her here all alone (Princesses weren't supposed to be alone in the wilderness, they were supposed to have princes to protect them!), Alaine swallowed her dignity with a gulp and lowered her head pleadingly, " It's just... You don't act very much like a coyote. They are supposed to be scary, not have brothers who keep wandering off!"

Suddenly she smiled brilliantly, struck by a genious puppy idea. Soft, floppy ears perked in his direction, her girly face stuck by a prettiness that would turn into beauty with age. Her large paws scrambled over the dusty ground as she padded about the standing boy in a circle (still careful not to turn her back to him, because Papa was rarely wrong).

" Hows about we make a deal, then, 'yote. I promise not to be a jerkface, if you let me help you. Sound pretty good? And just for the record... I'm not weird looking."

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]
That's awesome, I can't wait to see it. Gabe totally went into ADD mode, hah.

Sulking, head low, Gabriel did his best to ignore the girl at his side. She was mean, she didn’t like coyotes, and in all of his months he had never met anyone like that. Of course, he had never met anyone outside of Inferni, and they all knew he was something special. After all, both of his parents were important people! They were a prince and a queen! That was how he romanticized it, anyway, the way he and his siblings thought of their parents.
    Coming to a complete stop, she put herself directly in his place. With that sulking frown still on his face, the boy stared disdainfully at the dog. For a long time (long for a kid, at least), he was silent. “Okay,” he relented. Almost instantly, his demeanor changed, and he was smiling. “But I’m gonna be the leader! We’re gonna be explorers!” Suddenly happy with this notion, the coyote-looking boy wagged his tail. “You’re not weird looking, but you’re reaaallly fuzzy. My dad’s a wolf and he’s not even that fuzzy! Oh! That could be your explorer name! Baneesh and I always use explorer names!” He was thrilled with the idea, and could hardly contain the energy rushing through his tiny body.

[/html]
[html]

OOC: So cute xD

For a moment, it seemed her plan would not work. The little boy's pinched face had worked itself into a sulky frown, which lingered there for the looongest time, in Alaine's mind. But, with a sudden smile, her new-found companion warmed quickly to the idea.

" Fine, you can be the leader, THIS time." She relented sourly, but the smile returned as Gabe's contagious excitement colored her features, " What, fuzzy? What kind of explorer name is that? I wanna be princess... Princess fuzzy!"

She snorted for a moment, before giggling at the idea. Princess fuzzy! Well, that was certainly a new one. Skipping happily beside the boy, who's long skinny legs strode much faster than her own, the little girl became a tumble of cream fur and brilliant emerald eyes.

" What's your 'splorer name gonna be? How about... Sir Big-ears!"

With a delighted peal of laughter, Alaine looked merrily at the boy. Maybe this would be fun, after all... And Papa never had to know she had fun with a 'yote, anyway!

" So, where're we gonna go 'sploring, Mr leader?"

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]
[/html]
[html]

Oh, he certainly would be the leader. Girls, you see, were never as good when they were the leader. Rikka would always end up getting scared and wanting to go home, and Corona would never go anywhere without Molochai (who was sometimes a stick in the mud), and Ikatha was a brat who always got lost. Obviously, that was why Gabriel was the leader. Proud of this fact, he let his little chest puff out, and was nearly prancing with each step.
    “Okay, Princess Fuzzy,” he laughed, but found his name silly and not at all deserving. “Pfft, that’s a lame name. I should be something awesome like uh…well, I dunno, but something more awesome.” Wagging his tail once behind him, he smiled at her mischievously. “There’s a pirate ship nearby, I bet Baneesh went there.”

[/html]
[html]

OOC:

Tagging along like a good sidekick, Alaine was hard pressed to follow the other, instead bounding about him in energetic leaps. It was so good to have some company, even if it WAS a boy! She could worry about other silly things, like how to get home and what her father would have to say about all this, later.

It didn't really occur to her that Gabriel was technically her father's enemy. To her, he was just another kid, with big ears and a loud mouth.

" Something more awesome like what? Well, how about... Sir orange-eyes. Sir sticklegs?" She trailed off, thinking intently about what to deem her prince-in-the-making, and almost bumped right into Gabe when he stopped to shoot her a toothy grin, " A PIRATE SHIP?!"

Her maw made a round 'o' of shock, pretty faces flushed with a rush of excitement. A REAL, LIVE pirate ship, and they were gonna go exploring around it! Her fluffy tail wagged eccentrically, large paws trotting across the dirt. Maybe if they found this Baneesh, he would join into their game? She didn't know of the brother's age, but surely it didn't matter if Gabe explored with him. She didn't consider that maybe he wouldn't be too happy to see his younger brother playing with a dog.

" Is it haunted? Is it SCARY? Because I'm very brave, you know. I nevvveeerrrr get scared. Are we almost there, Gabe? I wanna see the pirate ship!"

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]

Like Alaine, the adult world of politics had left his mind. It was now a place where two kids (two explorers, he corrected) were free to find whatever they wanted. The excitement he had brought forth from the girl was enough to make his little puppy tail wag furiously, now doubly excited. Ever since he had been born Syemv had been off-limits, but anything off-limits was clearly somewhere awesome.
    Even at her endless questions, he focused at the task on-hand—smelling the air. He knew what the pirates smelled like because his mother had insisted they learn the borders, and done so because then she could tell then what not to do (embellishing on what she would do to them if they were ever caught). Their father didn’t care as much, usually just nodding his head or saying a few words between a cigarette. “Pfft, nothin’ scares me either. And no, it’s not haunted. There’s real pirates there though!” He added, the drama back in his voice. “One of them has a peg leg and an eye patch and a sword and a parrot too!” That’s what all pirates looked like, you see. “We’re gonna sneak in and go steal their treasure! Their uh…dub…dub…” He frowned, unable to remember the name from the book his father had read them. “Dubmoon? Dub…doubloons! Yeah! They have doubloons!”

[/html]
[html]

OOC:

She paused, watching with a kind of idolization as her new 'leader' bravely stepped forth and sniffed at the air, his childish face scrunched in concentration before turning to her with an aura of drama. Like a good storyteller, Gabe made her blood pressure rise, the wagging of collie tail suddenly suspended to his words.

" Real... Pirates?"

His description added to her hesitation. Real pirates! Papa would just KILL her if he found out that they were 'sploring the ship of REAL PIRATES. There was a niggling feeling in her tummy, like, maybe you shouldn't do this. Maybe this is a bad idea. Round green eyes lifted to Gabriel, whom already had his back turned to her, his boyish voice flowing back to tell of doubloons and treasure. Alaine winced, her paws stuck to the earth for a moment... What was worse, being a coward, or being eaten alive by bloodthirsty pirates?

Well, obviously, the answer to that was pretty clear.

" Wait up for me!" She bounded forth again, double the energy, though pretty gaze nervously scanned the surrounding tundra. Atleast, if she was gonna get eaten, she wouldn't be a yellow-bellied chicken while doing it.

" How do you know so much about pirates, anyways?" Her eyes narrowed suspiciously on the leggy boy, one paw batting at the blur of his wagging tail, " You aren't one, are you? Or, your Papa, he isn't one, right? Cause my Papa thinks that pirates are real terrible. Not that you are terrible, or anything. But they are. And if you are a sorta pirate, well, that would make me pirate-bait!"

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]

With a barking laugh, Gabriel continued on his way, paws lifting high off the ground to the point he resembled a prancing pony. He was thrilled to have a new sidekick, especially one as willing to listen to him as Alaine was. Everyone else had to voice their opinion, which got really annoying. How was he supposed to be a leader if no one listened to him? As she batted as his tail, though, he looked over his shoulder—like a child might do when they were tapped for attention.
    “I live next to them! My dad reads to us and told us all about pirates and their treasure and stuff. It’s pretty cool! I mean, I wouldn’t wanna be a pirate, they always end up getting caught or something, but they sound cool.” Licking the side of his face, the amber-eyed boy quickened his pace. They were getting close. Close enough, he soon realized when the scent of the pack wolves rushed at him like a tidal wave. Stopping suddenly, he put himself in-front of Alaine. “Shhh! We gotta be sneaky now! Follow me and stay quiet!” With that, Gabriel dropped low, and began creeping across the marked border.

[/html]
[html]

She drank up his words with wide innocent eyes, little maw suspended with bewilderment. Imagine that, living beside pirates! Her Papa would NEVER allow them to live near pirates. He was... Not very good when it came to conflict. Not a coward, she mentally reassured, because 'Winters' aren't cowards!', but just very protective of his family. Alaine wondered about Gabe's family for a moment. Maybe they were really tough, and that's why the pirates didn't drive them away?

" But, Ga-"

Her words were cut off as the boy suddenly stopped, his slightly-taller body positioned in front of her for a moment. Alaine meekly peeked around him, but saw nothing, and barely noted the strange scent on the wind. Her nose wiggled at it unconsciously, soft floppy ears pricked forwards as if to hear the cause of alarm. Gabriel stage-whispered to her, and filled with the moment, Alaine nodded silently, her little puppy maw clamped tightly shut. Following the boy's actions, she too dropped to the ground, little creamy-splotched rump up in the air in a very undignified posture.

" Okay Gabe. I'll be a good 'splorer, just you see!"

Her whisper was feather-soft. She was used to whispering, because sometimes her older sisters and she hid when Papa got really angry, when he took swigs straight from the bottle of his expensive liquor and made crude gestures to people nobody but he could see. Papa spoke about Alaine's dead mother in those times, voice thick with agony and loss. 'S'all your fault... Juss' one more pup, she told'd me! Juss' one more. N'look wha' it did. KILLED 'ER!'.

She knew how to whisper real good.

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]
Feel free to have them find the ship--it's a wooden boat with 'Syemv' written on the side, on the shore. :]

Gabriel was lucky, with so many siblings. One of them could always do something worse or be louder and take the brunt of whatever punishment was coming. Their parents had been very careful not to strike them when they were young, and not to talk in those hushed tones he sometimes heard them use. Sometimes late at night he would lay, eyes-wide open in the dark, to try and listen. The wind and the ocean always drowned out their voices, and usually on those nights he crawled close to his brother until Baneesh’s breathing lulled him to sleep.
    But this day was ready and full of adventure. With his body low to the ground, Gabriel crept further into the lands. The smell of the ocean was twanged with the ever present smell of smoke, but there wasn’t anything nearby to make him worry. They went for about ten minutes like this, no spoken words, and then a wolfish howl in the distance startled Gabriel and he leapt bolt upright. Wide-eyed, ears and tail high, he looked as startled as a deer in headlights. “C’mon!” He whispered, and began running towards the shore. If they got past that big house in the distance they could make it to the ship—he just knew it!

[/html]
[html]

OOC: Sure thing! This is fun xD

They crept along for what felt like an eternity to the impatient little pups, bellies to the dirt and ears to the sky, just waiting for some terrible pirate menace to spot them and make them dinner. Alaine felt the electricity of adrenaline run through her little fluffy body, and acknowledged the mixture of excitement and fear that pounded in her veins as what explorers were supposed to feel.

Just as it seemed they were completely alone, a howl rent the distant air, and the little girl's heart leaped up into her throat.

Gabe said something, but she couldn't hear it over the rush of blood in her little puppy ears. Her leader went into a flat-out sprint, his longer legs moving with far greater speed than Alaine's shorter collie ones. With a whimper in her throat, the cream girl sprinted after the boy, her lungs screaming for air, the hair along her nape prickling. PapaPapaPapaPapaPapaPapaPapaPapa! But there was no sound of pursuit, nor any further howls, and after a moment of terror the grasses spilled them out onto a gritty, sandy shore. And there, in the cove where clear blue water lapped meekly at it's sides, was the pirate ship.

Truth be told, it was not particularly impressive. Worn wood, rotting masts, the stench of fish guts. But to the little explorer princess, it was AMAZING.

" Sie... Sie-Em-Vuh. Sy-em-v. Syemv?"

Her pretty little voice broken by pants, Alaine sounded out the letters carved into the side of the large vessel. She knew how to read a little bit, because Papa insisted that his daughters were brought up to be proper young ladies. Her emerald eyes wide with awe, she turned to her accomplice.

" Syemv! This is the pirate ship!"

Speak think walk!

[/html]
[html]
Feel free to have them find the ship--it's a wooden boat with 'Syemv' written on the side, on the shore. :]

They ran clear until they hit the ocean, and found before them a grand and wonderful treasure. Well, the shit wasn’t that grand. It had been docked for nearly a year, and even though the pirates had attempted to keep it in shape, the past few months had done nothing for the ship. Gabriel had expected something much more impressive, and was disappointed, but this was overwhelmed by his companion’s excitement. Wide-eyed, mouth open in a doggish grin, his tail was wagging furiously behind him. “Yeah! Let’s see if there’s any treasure on it!”
    The trouble, then, would be finding a way up. After a minute of pacing, Gabriel spotted the solution—a pile of old boxes that had been haplessly strewn off the side. In fact, they were just big enough to serve like a rather ridiculous stair-system. Gabriel hopped up onto the first one, claws digging into the woods, and proceeded to do the same for each box until he reached the railing. “I don’t see anyone, let’s go.” With that, he hopped over the edge and onto the deck.

[/html]