sunshine, call on me
[html]

private for Anselm, at least initially

Alacrity rose from her bed of fallen leaves at the first hint of dawn on the horizon. The dried foliage helped retain some of the body heat that escaped her thin coat, but close to morning the slender canine began to shiver. There was nothing for it except to rise and try to banish the chill from her painted limbs. Previously, she had kept warm by lengthy early morning jogs, letting her muscles and the miles bring steam to her breath. Since the fight with the Cour des Miracles wolf, this had become nigh on impossible. The damage to her shoulder was not severe, but her foe's claw marks were deep enough to leave a mark. Alacrity had fastidiously kept the wounds clean, and although trained in first aid, she was helpless to dress a wound in a country where all of the plants needed for her usual remedies did not grow. The damage was healing nicely, swiftly even, but the wild dog would not risk reopening the wound while she ran, even if it meant a semi-permanent chill.

On this particular day, she made her way south and east until the landscape began to resemble that which Anselm had described to her. Determined not to repeat her previous mistakes, Alacrity moved deliberately, nose working overtime to locate the Inferni border. Of course, she was not liable to be accidentally sprinting across borders in her current state, but at least she wasn't limping too terribly. Before long the strong scent of the clan told her she was close, and then there were skulls that told her she definitely was. Nervous, and still not quite sure what leap of logic (or was it faith?) that brought her here, Alacrity opened her maw and called for him, hoping he would recognize the high, yipping voice as her own.

[/html]
[html]

-bounces.-

#$%@Maybe fate was on their side. Anselm had only returned recently himself--his absence from Inferni had been of atypical duration due to the entire "episode" in Halifax. Although he certainly hadn't sustained any serious injuries, paranoia alone had merited a longer-term stay--just to ensure no secondary wave of gang members arrived at his door step. Although the garage was kept locked, he didn't doubt they'd find a way to bust down the door (doors and locks kept honest people honest, after all). On the off chance they didn't ransack his garage, take all of his harvest, and instead decided to exact revenge for their fallen comrades, he'd be dragging his personal affairs into Inferni. And so, he figured it was easy enough to justify his prolonged leave of absence. He'd come back with some good stories and two more skulls as trophies, anyway, and with Kaena and Gabriel around there was hardly concern for Inferni's safety--things hadn't fallen apart when he'd left for a year and they certainly wouldn't within a fortnight.

#$%@Regardless, he'd been eager to get home and resume his patrols. For the first few hours, there was nothing of particular interest or concern--and then... His ears rose swiftly in response to the call. Though the foreign song most immediately struck him as unfamiliar, his heart skipped a beat at the notion that the delightful painted woman he'd met so many weeks ago had finally taken him up on his offer to visit Inferni. But no, he chastised himself--he oughtn't get himself worked up over an idea like that. Surely the nipping winds had driven her further south as she'd originally planned! And yet, as he rounded the crest of a small hill, there she was. He trotted forward lightly on all fours, tail swaying merrily behind him. "Hey," he called warmly, "I'd thought you'd already cruised on down south." The grin that had spread across his features faded slightly as he drew nearer; she wasn't resting weight on one limb properly. It seemed he wasn't the only one to have gotten into a fight recently, though the gouges on her shoulder seemed far more consequential than the gash in his arm. "Everything alright?" Though still soft, his tone had grown less playful.

table by Amber <3
[/html]
[html]

I should be working on a paper. But this is so much more fun!

Also, did I read right? Anselm has some sort of cut on his arm?

By the normal standards, Alacrity was a confident creature. The brightness in her disposition generally overcame the pessimistic influences of her family, loneliness, or the cold. Confidence, like optimism and happiness, is just a choice you make, after all. Still, even she was getting nervous standing at the borders, her heart beating the same uncomfortable rhythm that it had when she'd stepped on the rickety vessel that carried her across the sea. She was used to proactively taking charge, and waiting was definitely countering her base instincts. Her uneasiness was making her tense, a hindrance she tried to keep from her limbs by shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot.

A rustle in the dried autumn grasses suggested company, and then there he was, all smiles and wagging tail. Her own features broke into a broad grin, and it startled her slightly to realize just how happy she was to see him again. "Leave without visiting?" she joked lightly, "I'd never." Alacrity wasn't the type to make many plans, but the fight a few weeks ago had changed any she might make. Even if the cold got severe enough to drive her away south, she would have at least visited Inferni -- and Anselm -- first. Now, with migration a less likely possibility, she would have to find a way to deal with the cold in the long term.

His smile faltered a bit, and she realized that he must have noticed the unbalance in her stance. At his question, Alacrity turned slightly to allow him a better view of the healing wound. It was scabbed over and showed no sign of infection, but the torn flesh still pulled when she moved, hindering any excessive physical activity. "Yeah, it is really not that bad," she insisted mildly. Besides, she'd wounded her attacker rather more permanently than he'd hurt her, and that was victory enough in her book. (Alacrity would carry scars, but she doubted they'd be permanent. The marks she'd left on his face likely were.) "What about you?" she asked, discretely eying his foreleg.

[/html]
[html]

He could hardly blame anyone for being wary at the clan's borders. They so painfully obvious that to waltz right on through without a second thought suggested some kind of mental deficiency (not that he hadn't intercepted and expelled such ignoramuses before). As she was so clearly not a wolf, Anselm was confident none of the Inferni members would take offence to her presence outright; she'd let out a polite call and minded their perimeter to boot. Even the members who were a couple short of a six pack would probably respect his name if she offered it when prompted, though he was still somewhat relieved that nobody else was present to foul up their little reunion.

Red eyes regarded her wound more carefully, allowing him to note what she already knew: it was healing nicely and there was no sign of infection. The thought of someone attacking her caused an unexpected, forceful reaction within him regardless--normally he couldn't care less how others went about their daily lives, and that blood was spilt was nothing new to the soils of these lands. Here, he seemed to take (nearly) as much personal offence as an attack on his family, and easily more than was standard for a clan-mate. Ultimately Alacrity seemed no worse for the wear, however, and he didn't have enough time to collect his thoughts into anything coherent before she addressed his own laceration.

"Eh; I'm fine. You should see the other guys," he replied smoothly with a toothy grin, figuring that even if her imagination ran wild the result wouldn't be too far off from the truth: one guy disembowelled with his head bashed in, the other with his throat ripped out. Nonetheless, he saw no need to go into detail--suddenly he wasn't sure whether or not she'd approve of his budding "business" or the violence it could apparently incite. "I'm glad you're alright, though," he said, tone sincere as his tail resumed wagging at a dampened amplitude.

A cool wind cut through the air, causing the fur on his side to rustle. With a sideways glance at the surrounding skulls, he decided that this setting was hardly warm or friendly. "So, care for a little tour?" Perhaps the time was not appropriate for a grand tour, but it would keep them moving while he tried to figure out what was next. He nudged her chin playfully with his snout before pivoting about, his movements somewhat slow and somewhat dream-like. He had every intention of keeping near her side as they moved, assuming she would allow it. It just seemed somehow appropriate.

tell me about it! >D and yus, he does
[/html]
[html]

I couldn't get this post to flow right. Oh well. Here it goes.

Alacrity's grin rebounded at his comment, assured that while both of them had endured some manner of physical violence, neither party was seriously hurt. They were both, she assumed, rather competent personas after all. Of course, she also assumed his "other guys" to be grievously wounded somewhere, permanently out of sight and out of mind. That they were potentially dead and decapitated didn't quite occur to her, and perhaps this was just as well. Alacrity wasn't quite a stranger to violent ends, but it also wasn't the way to begin conversation for a friendly reunion, either.

"Since we're both celebrating close calls, she responded enthusiastically, "I'd love one." Their respective versions of what constituted a close call might vary, but since they had both sustained injuries it was the translation she went with. The finer points of translation were not on her mind at the moment anyhow. Alacrity was more curious to see the Inferni landscape and eager to learn what amenities claimed lands might hold. She was also glad to see Anselm again, and laughed in surprise and pleasure when he nudged her chin. "Lead on," she said with a smile, falling into step beside him.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... ts/zen.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:250px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#F0F0F0; text-align:justify; font-family:times; font-size:12px; color:#555555; line-height:16px">
the cuteness is going to kill me >_>! also powerplay, let me know if it should be changed. and feel free to powerplay yourself, of course. XD edit b/c i am dumb D:
@&#&$A close call indeed--for the first time in years, he'd been forced to entertain the idea of his own death. The situation had initially seemed much more dire than it later proved to be, but even so, what had went down was only a laughing matter because he had gotten off relatively easy. If he paused to think about how serious things could have been it would make his head spin in the worst way possible, meaning the only logical course of action was to ignore such thoughts. Anselm was a huge fan of the philosophy if nothing bad happened, then nothing bad happened.
@&#&$The present moment concerned him much more than even the recent past regardless. Her laugh was musical and filled him with enough delight to rival a pup's upon witnessing his first symphony courtesy the morning songbirds. Such touches were no minor thing--Anselm usually preferred to maintain a substantial bubble of personal space, and only family and close friends were given a free pass to invade that space. He could only assume that everyone else operated the same way, so he was in effect flattered that she was not offended by his touch.
@&#&$It seemed natural to fall in step with her gait; the pace was comfortable and it was surprisingly easy to keep in sync. The tips of his fur just lightly brushed against her side for how close they walked; if anybody asked, he was keeping her warm. "I guess the territory mostly explains itself. It's all uphill from the border; a tactical advantage, plus it helps with flooding. Otherwise it's mostly what you see now," he rambled on, before taking a pause. The silence was just about to become awkward when: "So other 'n that little blip, you still enjoying it around here?" he wondered with tentative hopefulness; was she planning to stay?
[/html]
[html]

agreed! XD hope you had a good thanksgiving <3

They left the borderlands and headed inland, and the land rose with Alacrity's spirits. Even in the season's sparse coloration, she found the Inferni landscape welcoming. The grasslands were echoes of her home, but varied enough to appease her curiosity. And then, of course, there was Anselm's steady presence at her side, the warmth of which was making her feel slightly giddy.

She nodded when he spoke about his homeland, eagerly drinking in the new sights, sounds, and smells. Alacrity found no words to say that weren't meaningless, although her current happiness was apparent both in body language and easy smile. Even the pause in conversation was suitable - she enjoyed company that didn't feel the need to fill every moment with idle chatter. Besides, she was trying to figure out the proper wording for a request when Anselm broke the silence and solved her problem.

"Yes, I am," she responded. "I had thought to go south when the season changed, but I don't want to risk running on my shoulder, not yet. Besides, I like it here, and I think I could be happy, in time." Making a home was never an easy endeavor, but after many long months on the road Alacrity was ready to try again. None of the other places she'd visited had felt right. Two continents and half a world away, here finally did, and she wouldn't know if she never tried.

If nothing else, she would need a place to stay for the winter, because with a healing shoulder surviving on her own would be rather difficult. "Do you think I could stay here in Inferni, at least for the winter?" she felt both shy and bold for asking. Bold, because she was asking outright for a place to call home; shy, because with the given company it was a rather laden question. There was a certain directness to her nature that would rather go straight to the point than spend hours talking about the proverbial elephant in the room. And after all, if she was refused, she would need time to find a plan b.

[/html]
[html]

Indeed, and likewise! Guess you can put Mel is needed then! :]

#$%@Comfort in silence was a state he attained in the presence of relatively few. While his mind was cloudy or drugged, thoughts that translated into spoken words came slower, and he appreciated quiet company--it wasn't like he was trying to get anything else done at that point anyway. When he was trying to get down to business or gather information, however, lingering after everything useful or relevant had been told felt like a waste of time. Only one exception was obvious (other than the situation now, of course): he and Gabriel could communicate just short of telepathically, which followed from their regular training and experience together in battle. For a long time the Aquila was the only family he really "knew," so it was hardly surprising he was so comfortable around Inferni's dominant male.

#$%@Because such encounters were so rare, he found himself consciously appreciating how natural and relaxed he felt in her company. Although they had only met once, she hardly felt like a stranger. Her response was direct, another thing he welcomed. Anselm himself was notoriously (and maybe painfully) blunt, and he had little patience for those that danced around the point. More importantly, though, she seemed to be sold on Inferni. "Of course! I'm sure you can stay for as long as you'd like," he replied happily, his tail swinging behind him several times for good measure.

#$%@As he had been rather focused on her throughout the little trip, he had hardly noticed the surroundings changing around them--they were already in the centre of the territory near the caves. "Most of us stay here in the caves," he explained, wondering for a moment if she was familiar with such land features. He understood caves to form under the influence of water and he wasn't sure if the inconsistent supply she'd mentioned was sufficient to form any substantial caverns back in Africa. "I can show you mine in a bit if you'd like," he added, the words surprisingly innocent. There was no ulterior motive here... unless one counted the fact he simply wanted to be around her. "But we should visit my cousin Gabriel first; he's in charge here." With that, he diverted their course slightly toward the leader's den. Once they were outside, he stepped forward and let out a curious, inquisitive bark--anybody home?--before resuming his place at her side and taking a seat.

table by Amber <3
[/html]
[html]

rather short, homework calls

His response was swift and affirmative, and Alacrity smiled broadly in happiness and relief. Perhaps the feelings were premature, but the prospects were enough for now. Tail wagging a contented beat behind her, she moved with Anselm as he altered course. "Caves?" she asked, not sure she had heard right or translated correctly. "You mean, underground?" Alacrity had heard of such things, but had never seen one, much less considered sleeping in one. The prospect was a little daunting, and she would have to see inside one before processing the concept fully. "Yes, I'd like that." It would be nice to see how someone else managed a cave, if she was going to be expected to live in one.

Presently, they arrived outside of a den, and Anselm announced their arrival. Alacrity had been born into a large, stable group and had never had the need to join another. Therefore, she was less nervous than she probably should have been, but she was well-mannered and competent and should be just fine. Of course, having Anselm there to vouch for her probably didn't hurt her chances, either.

[/html]
[html]
    The bark woke Gabriel from one of the wolf-naps that he so often took. Fifteen minutes could keep him going for a few hours, and he was at the tail end of that fifteen when Anselm’s call bounced into his home. Blinking sleepily and rising to his feet, the Aquila plodded his way to the entrance of the den, wondering idly if there was going to be another fantastic story to greet him. Instead, a woman with a remarkable coat (and uniquely shaped body) was at his cousin’s side.
    Almost instantly Gabriel’s demeanor changed, presenting himself now as the authority he was. Coming forward to greet them, he looked to Anselm, one brow lifting curiously. “Friend of yours?” He asked, a slight smile breaking over his face, exposing off-white teeth. Certainly, the two looked like an interesting pair.
table by alli

[/html]
[html]

"Mm-hmm," he replied with a simple nod. "It's pretty nice; get some automatic temperature regulation courtesy ol' Mother Earth... it stays cooler in the summer than out in the air and considerably warmer in the winter, especially since the wind can't reach all the way in the back," he explained. His own had increased as far as furnishings were concerned steadily over the years--by now the back room was a sea of blankets, pillows, and bean bag chairs, but he didn't want to give too much away just then. He could let her see the finer features of cave-dwelling for herself--there was a suitable slope to his to keep it dry, even throughout all of the flooding earlier in the summer.

Gabriel responded promptly to his call, and he dipped his head to the leader in greeting, ears falling back to half-mast. Even still, he couldn't help but grin and his tail thumped against the ground behind him. "Gabriel, this is Alacrity. She's from Africa!" he exclaimed briefly, as if this should be selling point enough. The words hardly constituted a dramatic outburst, however, and he moved on quickly: "And Alacrity, meet Gabriel. He's been keeping us afloat since Inferni was established here." With introductions aside, he could get down to the point. "Sh.. we were hoping she could stay in Inferni," he concluded simply.

Only then did it really occur to him that a) he didn't even know what she was and b) he had no idea what sort of skill-set she might possess. Although she'd been very open with him before, the first question seemed rather rude and the second irrelevant (until now). Her delightful, easy-going attitude and charm had sold him instantly. For now, though, he supposed there wasn't much to do but let her prove herself to the Aquila--surely the doggish leader would have a couple questions.
[/html]
[html]
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304 ... y_trot.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:180px; background-position:top center; background-color:#637046; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#ffffff; line-height:14px">
@$%&
"I've never really enjoyed being indoors," she confessed mildly, "but maybe a cave will be different. The extra warmth will be nice, for sure." Caves, after all, were natural formations, although not common ones on the savannas of her youth. Most of her qualms with being inside originated because structures were built by and for those who could walk on two legs. It was well-known among the African Wild Dog population that shifting was a talent not granted to them, and therefore most shunned the humanoid legacy that so many other species embraced. Alacrity viewed the notion of living in caves as neutral ground, one neither reserved for shifters or non-shifters exclusively. In any case, relief from the decreasing temperatures would be most welcome.

@$%&Although Anselm sat at the cave's entrance, Alacrity remained standing. She was accustomed to introductions, especially official ones, being carried out on all four feet. Being observant, she noticed the difference but didn't dwell on the separation in cultural norms. A drastic change in her habits at this point would just make her nervous and unnaturally stiff in demeanor, and neither outcome was particularly desirable. So she bowed when Gabriel appeared, and returned to stand with posture, ears, and tail discretely lowered. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Gabriel." Alacrity skipped the customary formal greetings of her pack and went straight for the polite words that had been common in Europe. Anselm had spoken her intentions, and Alacrity found no need to echo his words. Questions were likely to come, but preempting them was probably not in her best interests, either.

Sorry for the delays. End-of-semester is proving hazardous to my health.
[/html]
[html]
Since Alacrity is going to be ranked as an Outsider, I figured we could keep this short and sweet. :}
    Amber eyes trailed from his cousin to the exotic dog, fascinated by her body structure and coat pattern. The mention of Africa only further excited him—Vienna had spoken to him often of the place, and a peculiar sort of thing had always come over her. It was as if there was a viable wall that came up in her eyes—one burned in darkened trees and far-distant drumming. She had carried spears and spoke of great hunting cats, drawing pictures in the sand and making him imagine what he would never see.
    “Likewise,” he replied smoothly, no longer letting his eyes leave her face. “I certainly don’t mind if you stay. If you’re a friend of Anselm’s you’re a friend of the family.” A smile, pleasantry, formality that fell short in the wake of his scars. “Though I must say I’ve never quite seen anyone that looks like you,” he finally allowed his eyes to fall, studying her like a racehorse.

table by alli

[/html]
[html]

god, sorry. finals completely completely ate the first half of my week. x_x

#$%@Although he had no real reason to think she would be turned away, he was no less delighted by the Aquila's confirmation. His tail flopped behind him and he offered her a friendly "welcome to the clan" nudge with his snout before his jaws parted in a pleased canine smile. He dipped his head in silent thanks to his cousin, tongue lolling out to one side in pure delight, though he managed to collect himself by the time Gabriel began to speak. His head tipped to one side now, though just slightly--he'd done a good bit of staring when he'd met her himself, though he couldn't help but shift just an inch closer to her as his friend looked her up and down.

#$%@Vaguely he wondered if he might finally get an answer regarding her exotic heritage--after all, the leader's words seemed like a polite way to prompt such a discussion. She was clearly neither wolf nor coyote--she was terribly unlike a fox or a dingo. Though he knew (formerly) domestic dogs to come in all shapes and sizes, he couldn't shake the feeling that there was something feral and wild in her appearance... plus the ears were completely unique. And so, he continued to project a comfortable and happy presence, though he remained silent as nothing had been addressed to him specifically and he felt no need to interject.

table by Amber <3
[/html]
OOC -
So sorry for the delays. The combination of finals and the holidays (and crazy weather) made the last few weeks crazy. But! I'm taking fewer classes this semester, so life should settle down some soon x.x; Also, this reply is rather rushed.

IC -
"I thank you for your hospitality," Alacrity replied, keeping to the polite standard of the conversation. She grinned broadly in pleasure and relief, glad to be keeping Anselm's company -- and also glad to have shelter from the worst of winter. "That's not at all surprising. The Mbwa mwitu are generally not great travelers," she responded, referencing her own species in its familiar Swahili name. "Our culture does not encourage exploration," she offered by way of explanation, since she would rather not get into a lengthy discussion of her personal reasons for leaving home. And, of course, since she would be staying, there would be plenty of other opportunities to share cultural notes.
[html]
    She explained what she was, but the words were unfamiliar and offered him little more then a curiosity as an answer. Still, she wasn’t a wolf, which was all that really mattered to Gabriel. Though his spineless half-brother had been able to stay in the clan, the Aquila doubted any exception would be made in the future. He had no more wolfish relatives here, and by all accounts, the ones he did have would not have stepped foot in Inferni willingly. “Well, you must be the exception to the rule,” he said, and smiled broadly. “You won’t be able to advance in our ranks, but I encourage you to participate in hunts and make yourself known to the clan.” If she didn’t, some might think of her as a trespasser—something Gabriel certainly didn’t hope to see.
    “If you ever need me, don’t hesitate to call. I’m rather accommodating when it comes to a pretty woman,” he added, eyes sidling to his cousin. There was no true sexual interest there beyond his initial admiration of her figure, but Gabriel certainly wanted to push his cousin’s buttons.

table by alli

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">GOD WHY DOES GABE HAVE TO BE SUCH A DICK!? ... xDD -loves on you both.- I hope you have fun on your camping trip, Kim~ Hurrah for loads of consensual powerplay.
@&#&$Anselm was only mildly surprised by the Aquila's ruling--he'd always worked under the assumption that the Outsider rank was reserved for wolves alone. Although her demeanour made her an unlikely warrior (and unbeknownst to him, her inability to shift made her less qualified for some of their other speciality ranks), he still figured she would make a good scout. He wasn't one to question such things, however, and he listened as the leader went on to offer some sound advice. Frankly, he pitied anyone who dared to fuck with his African queen--Anselm outweighed most of their subordinate members considerably and he would have no tolerance for such insolence. He figured Gabriel understood this; more importantly, before long her scent would become synonymous with the clan's and the likelihood of such an issue would fade into non-existence.
@&#&$The next remark caused his nose to crinkle, much more so in a "what the hell, man" sort of way than a snarl, especially when Gabriel looked over to him like a naughty child who knew they had just gotten away with something ridiculous. The look dissolved just as quickly and was replaced by an impishly raised brow. "Thanks again, Gabriel," he said smoothly, nudging the woman with his snout to suggest they take their leave. "We won't keep you any longer." As the duo turned to move away, Anselm threw his head back and poked out a length of his pink tongue while making an outrageous face. He turned back quickly before Alacrity might notice--the two middle-aged men still hadn't outgrown all manners of juvenile nonsense, apparently.

@&#&$From the leader's den it wasn't a terribly long walk to his own cave, and he followed Alacrity inside with his bushy tail waving merrily behind him. The entire set up was impressive in its simplicity; in the entry room there were shelves with various knick-knacks and books, and in the back there was a spread of bedding material. Blankets, pillows, the occasional bean bag chair--he knew what was comfortable. On the whole Alacrity seemed to approve; in a bold move, he decided to invite her to stay with him. He would sleep in the other room if she requested and he would fetch her more blankets than she could possibly need--more than anything he just wanted to be around her. And then with the soft smile on her face, it was settled.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +402
[/html]