black market bodega.
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/anselm_table.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:225px; padding-left:15px; padding-right:15px; padding-bottom:10px;">
uuuuuuuuhr, okay, before my timelines get FUBAR, this is backdated to before my (also to be backdated) thread with Mel, both of which are being done that way so they occur before Alacrity's joining thread. set @ his garage in halifax, p for rurik

Savina's company had proven therapeutic on several levels, and he found his mind was no longer spinning in circles with gross fantasies of ambush or robbery. There was no need to worry--by now he was convinced that the gang didn't have backup. He'd gone back to the alley and found the bodies much as he'd left them, but he hadn't stayed particularly long: the smell was nauseating. The hybrid claimed the heads of the two wolves he'd fell, however, figuring they were suitable trophies. The trio Jantus had annihilated were left untouched. Maybe it didn't seem right to take credit for someone else's work; maybe he only had two hands and two heads just seemed to fit.
    They sat on the driveway in front of his garage, staring with lifeless eyes and hollow grins down to the street. It was drizzling, but one of the large bay doors was open anyway. Anselm was inside riffling through his things, tossing several of his piny perfumed packages into a satchel, along with two pipes: the larger was constructed of wood, while the glass one was almost awkwardly small. They were but several of the prizes he'd turned up in an abandoned underground shop--what had driven him to explore the pocket of a building was unknown, but he'd certainly been pleased with the results. It was both delightful and strange that even the least exciting of human structures could conceal great treasures.
    Once things seemed situated, he turned and regarded the grey skies with a sigh. Unless he intended to carry the two noggins in his mouth (physics and personal dignity said no), he would have to trek back to Inferni on two legs instead of four. That circumstance alone dictated a longer travel time, and it didn't take any convincing for him to plop down on the couch for a final smoke. It would at least make the first half of the journey more interesting. And so, he packed himself a sizeable bowl and began to puff merrily away, watching with drowsy interest as the white smoke billowed out the garage door and mingled with the fine mist outside.
[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_angel.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:10px; padding-left:12px; padding-right:12px; padding-bottom:286px;">
    I never bitch about muse or inspiration, but holy shit, I haven't been able to write for Rurik in what feels like days. o_O Sorry for the delay. ♥ Also, I am an idiot and I made that table and cannot really read the text. DURFDURFDURF. XD But it's probably just my darkass monitor.

Despite the rain, Rurik was out again. He had plenty of reason to venture from his comfortable home. This was a new land which required exploring, just as the former lands had, and he needed to hunt continually to feed his family. It wasn't quite so easy as heading to market and trading or bumming some smoked fish and dried meat from a neighbor, who was generally more than willing to help out. The silvery Russian had been unsuccessful in his hunting, and it had started to rain, so he decided to turn back. The Russos certainly wouldn't starve on this night—they had plenty of dried jerky, which Rurik had been diligently stockpiling. It wasn't as good as fresh, lightly-seared meat, but it was a hell of a lot better than an empty, rumbling belly.

As the silvery werewolf continued down the long, narrow city streets, his eyes floated to the Brobdingnagian buildings around him. Rurik was hardly a philosophical type, but he often considered the fate of the previous dominant species on this earth. The virus that had granted wolves with Lupercism had also been the fatal knife in humanity's back, at once ushering out the prior species and insuring that the new species would be there to take its place. Some canines in Europe chose to study this very thing, but the scientific types generally used all kinds of technical jargon and words Rurik didn't understand, even if they tried to communicate their ideas in Russian. Cells and DNA, all of that biology stuff he could hardly begin to comprehend.

Rurik was a simpler type of creature, and as that familiar scent of cannabis floated over the wind, he took note, altering his course through the winding streets to follow that scent. The misty rain came down on his shoulders, beading into tiny droplets and eventually forming miniature streamlets coursing down his back to the earth. It was not a terrible day, though Rurik certainly would have preferred a nice, sunny afternoon. Heading forward, he eventually came upon a sort of low-slung building, the door hanging wide open, the smoke trail headed right out of the door. There was a canine inside, seated on a couch and toking merrily away at a sort of bowlpiece. The Russian hesitated in the door, grinning sheepishly at the wolf. Rurik was familiar with coyotes, but he couldn't smell Inferni on the stranger, nor could he identify overt coyote characteristics about him, so Rurik assumed Anselm was a wolf. "Got any to share?" he asked, speaking in his usual rumbly and accented voice.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... Image7.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:310px; background-position:top center; background-color:#1C1D15; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#ffffff; line-height:14px">
@$%&Anselm scowled briefly at the two disembodied heads for failing to keep an effective watch, though the gesture was clearly an ironic one--Anselm actually preferred that the inhabitants of 'Souls with express interest in his product crawl out of the woodwork and find him, as he was certainly too busy (or maybe lazy) to go in search of potential customers himself. That left him to consider his company. A quick glance was all he needed to decide that the foreigner was non-threatening, and he hastily waved him in out of the rain. "Always got some to share, man; got even more to trade," he replied simply. He probably had enough to last himself through the winter and spring a dozen times over, so there was scarcely a need to be stingy.

@$%&"There 're some towels over there if you want to dry off 'n grab a seat," he added, his lacerated arm lifting as he pointed toward some of the (moderately) clean cloth suspended on hooks on the opposite wall before tapping a nearby bean-bag chair with his foot. With that, he tapped the bowl against his hand and blew the ashes on the floor. Although everything in the garage was fairly organised, he wouldn't claim a "housekeeper of the year" title any time soon... though when things got kind of grungy, he would bother to sweep everything out the door with a broom. For now, he simply pulled out another pinch of the herb and put it in the bowl, putting it down on the table in front of him as he watched his company carefully.

@$%&"So where 're you from?" he wondered idly, shifting around in his seat so that he could reposition his tail. As the accent was not one he recognised, he couldn't help but be somewhat intrigued. The tattooed wolf had a thing for accents--on women they'd leave him drooling, but here he was simply curious. Perhaps if the guy was from somewhere exotic enough, he'd even have some fascinating goodies to trade.

yeah, idk. i can see it fine on all three of my monitors! D:
[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_sinking.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:232px; padding-left:12px; padding-right:12px; padding-bottom:10px;">
Durr, I totally forgot to mention the heads in my last post. D: ajskfjkd

The silver werewolf had been a little put off by the heads, naturally, but he had seen gore and gruesomeness at some points in his life, and he supposed that whatever those canines had done, they deserved their fate. Otherwise they wouldn't be up on display so proudly, right? And anyway, the smell of marijuana was far too strong for the wolf to deny or ignore, and the man seated on the couch seemed friendly enough, waving Rurik in from the drizzle. The wolf's words caught Rurik's ears, and they perked up intensely. "Oh yeah? What you looking to come by, my friend?" the wolf asked, immediately launching into the friendly behavior. Once inside, he clearly smelled Inferni, but he had no particular beef with them. Gabriel lead them, and Rurik had nothing to fear from Gabriel.

The other canine offered towels, which the Russian graciously accepted, drying himself off sufficiently before settling down on the chair Anselm had indicated for him. He sank into it and laughed, finding it incredibly odd and comfortable at the same time. "Nice," he complimented, laughing at the strange sensation of sitting in this kind of chair. It was curious, and Rurik had never seen anything like it, much less sat in one. He pushed at the sides, careful to keep his claws from the material, going so far as to draw them backwards and into his skin to touch the strange chair. The wolf's question caught his ear, and he looked up with a grin. "Russia, 'cross the ocean," he answered, pretty much the standard reply for such a question.

"You know Gabriel, eh?" the Russian asked, eager to solidify the connection between them. If this guy had a steady supply of marijuana, Rurik was absolutely certain he wanted to be this guy's friend, if for that reason alone. He hadn't interacted with the stranger enough to gauge his personality entirely, but he hoped the golden-furred man was nice enough to give reason beyond his ample stash to Rurik for friendship.

[/html]
[html]

"That's one hell of a trip just to score some bud," he said with a grin, the impish glint in his eye making it obvious it was a joke. Clearly nobody would do such a thing, but on first glance the Russian seemed pretty laid back and the bronze hybrid assumed he would appreciate the humour. It was a subtle invitation to further the conversation, anyway; what brings you to this half of the globe?

Anselm was always astounded by the (insane) journeys folks like Rurik, Savina, or Alacrity embarked on--though he liked to swim and had screwed around on lake-bound rafts before, nobody would be getting him on a sea-faring vessel any time soon (or ever, really). "But I dunno, I'd be willing to take a look at almost anything you've got. Kind of hoping to expand business past the green next year..." he trailed off shortly with a shrug. He didn't necessarily expect others to carry random seeds on their person, if they even had any drugs at all. Still, it hardly hurt to ask. There were other forms of payment not necessarily contingent on material goods, as well; although Anselm wasn't much of a boozehound himself, he understood simple ethyl alcohol to be quite valuable as well. He also understood that it could be made using "archaic" processes, but as to the details he was clueless.

Picking through the couch cushions for the fluorescent orange lighter that had slipped through the crack, he deposited it easily on the table once his company was comfortable, using it to nudge the bowl closer to the greyscale wolf before letting go--he was already fairly toasted, and he didn't mind if Rurik took the first couple of hits. The mention of the Aquila's name was somewhat surprising, and his ears twitched just slightly and his head cocked to one side imperceptibly as he mulled over the words. "Small world, eh?" Ironic. "Didn't know my cousin had friends from Russia," he mused aloud.

I just assumed Rurik was so badass he didn't care. XDXD
[/html]
[html]

http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bottledrage.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 245px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;">

Omg. XD Rurik is not badass. <3 He is just a dopey man, and hard to scare?! XD OH I WILL CHARGE IN ANYWAI... you know. Testosterone. ;D

The werewolf turned brightly to Anselm at the joke, finding it quite funny. He expressed it in his usual manner—a belly laugh and a knee slap, his brilliantly blue eyes glinting as they gazed at the other man. "Aye, you should see where I go to get some 'shrooms," he said, recalling the English slang for the drug. "No, no... I come back here to try and find my sons, you know? I lived here before, headed back home, and... well," he considered, wondering if it was alright to open up to the other man about what had happened between him and Kiska, all of Inferni really—by all rights he should have had a massive grudge against them, but he simply didn't have it in him to harbor ill will toward much of anything.

"Don't suppose you know anybody named Zaets, Zorish, or Vladimir, eh?" the wolf asked hopefully, turning toward the other man. The werewolf would never tire of searching for them, and he would seek them out no matter how thin the search became. Any information was of use to him; where they had been, where they had gone, what they were doing—he had wanted to show his younger children different parts of the world, and now they were at the destination, and he was no closer to discovering his elder sons' whereabouts. The other wolf spoke again, and the werewolf listened, quite business-like as he considered the man's words. Rurik still did not connect the idea that Anselm's membership to Inferni indicated some level of coyote blood. "Hrmm. I had stopped off over in Amsterdam before I made my way over here. I got a couple poppy seeds should still be good, and some mushrooms—don't know how you'd get those to reproduce, though," the werewolf said, shrugging. He knew next to nothing about cultivation of these sorts of things; he was more or less simply a harvester of them. "Always got good liquor, too... though you can't quite grow that," he said with another laugh.

The werewolf nodded earnestly at the continued talk of Gabriel and then stopped, gazing at Anselm closely. "Aha. I do see some resemblance there," he said, grinning and nodding his head. "Cousin, huh? I knew Gabriel back when he was pretty young, I guess," the werewolf said, grinning from ear to ear. "That's when I lived here for some time before. Well, not here. Back up where Gabriel is from, I suppose," the werewolf babbled, finally picking up the lighter and the bowl and taking a long, thick drag, holding onto it for a moment before exhaling it in a giant cloud. He coughed immediately, feeling the swirling buzz of marijuana creeping through his brain. "Good stuff," he complimented.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bottledrage b{font-weight:bold; color:#BC2B26; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bottledrage p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Man, he said, shaking his head. So you've shipped across the Atlantic at least thrice now? he wondered, somewhat bewildered. Ghita had spoken of her journey as one of desperation versus something she cared to repeat on a whim. He found his thoughts drifting to an old friend of his: Boomer. The dingo had travelled the world, quite possibly by sea as much as by land. Maybe some folks just had that sort of adventurous drive in them, but it was a desire he would never fully comprehend. Like most he grew bored of the same old, same old; he liked to explore and experience new land formations and environments, but he never ventured too far from the familiar, either.

Anselm liked knowing what to expect from both the weather and the local wildlife alike. He knew just fine how to handle a blizzard or a ram, but a desert or a hippopotamus was different. It was quite simply a matter of stability: without some basic foundation to hold fast to, the tattooed hybrid quickly lost his mind. For everything to change constantly suggested chaos--anyone who knew him well enough would realise he'd be unnerved not being able to predict the logical flow of life elsewhere.

In his world, there were four seasons that transitioned logically from one to the next with appropriate weather patterns. Wolves were the dominant species, and even the greatest adversaries (i.e., a mountain lion or a bear) weren't that unmanageable for an adult, seasoned werewolf. He was comfortable in this little pocket of the world, and though he saw the value in adapting to any and all climates or situations possible, he felt it unlikely enough that he'd be randomly abducted and tossed into Siberia or the Serengeti.

His family was here anyway--maybe Rurik's repeated trips made more sense then? Sorry, he offered, ears down-turned slightly, but I'll keep an ear open. I'm sure if you stay in the same place long enough they'll figure out where to find you if they need to, he offered hopefully--a conclusion he'd reached just recently himself with the help of a good friend. Although Anselm felt bad for the friendly Russian, he was relieved when the conversation diverted to more enticing and encouraging prospects... to see another dwell on their missing children might make it harder for him to ignore his own problems in that arena.

Ah, all mushrooms reproduce by spores, I think, he said. Quite resilient, so long as you have the caps you should be able to grow more. But poppy seeds... those are a rare treat in this part of the world. He grinned knowingly as the pirate complimented his product and stood to pull a jar off of a shelf, opening it so the thick, piny scent could permeate the air. Maybe an ounce and a half was contained in each jar, and he put it down on the table. What you say? Some for now, he pulled out a small packet of marijuana seeds he'd been saving for next year, 'n some for later. It was a generous offer, he supposed--but something as rare as the poppy was worth it.

[/html]
[html]

eeee. <3

The silver-furred werewolf nodded in response to the other canine's question, thinking of his many journies over the years. He had lived on the ocean for most of his life, raised in the Beloye More, the White Sea, by his elder brothers and his paternal ancestors, each of them experienced sailors. Rurik had generations of sailing knowledge locked away in his head, though it was more of an instinct than anything else—the Russo clan was simply predispositioned to like the water, and to feel comfortable swimming in it or floating above it. He smiled sheepishly, nodding his head. "Aye. When I first sailed to this continent, we did not have such good ships, you see. It was more dangerous to travel. It is still, depending on who's your Captain," the werewolf added, a broad grin creeping across his silver-furred muzzle.

"Thank you," the wolf said, smiling at the other canine's hopeful thoughts. The Russo was losing hope of finding his elder sons, but he couldn't allow it to permeate his entire being. He had his younger children to worry about, and he had to be a good parent to them. The Russian wolf had to make sure they were cared for and safe in this new world. He'd brought them here to culture them, to impart onto them some of this strange and very, very interesting place he'd called his home for so long. There was something lovely and simple on this side of the world, the expanses of pristine wilderness expanding around them. Much of Europe was still urban or suburban, though the nature had begun to reclaim the lands somewhat, surreptitious in their attempts to take back what had been forcefully taken from it. Buildings the Luperci ceased to care for were slowly crumbling, undermined by the water which steadily eroded their foundations and crept into the cracks, swelling all of the wood and rotting it out. Roots crept beneath the ground, further attacking the foundations of the buildings. Some had already begun to fall.

He listened with interest as the golden-furred canine explained how mushrooms reproduced. He did not understand what a spore was, and he tilted his head to the side, lifting a brow quizzically. "Spores?" he questioned, pressing. He wasn't a big fan of anything beyond marijuana and alcohol, but there was no denying that other psychedelics held power. Mushrooms were intruiging, to say the least, and he enjoyed the buzzing, slightly-hallucinogenic properties of that paricular drug. "Ah. You should see the east, the deserts and the mountains... poppy grows wild there, all over the hillsides in wild explosions of color," the werewolf said, grinning. It was no wonder that some wolves had chosen to continue the tradition of synthesizing drugs from the beautiful flowers.

The prospect of trade had Rurik interested, and he watched as the other canine grabbed a jar stocked full of marijuana, all puffy green buds, pale white crystalline structures dusting the leaves. He licked his lips, picking up one of the jars almost as soon as the other canine had put it down, twirling the jar in his hand to get a better look at the plant. It was a pallid, almost minty-colored green, fading darker closer to the stems, interspersed with tiny reddish-orange hairs. This delighted Rurik; he had seen all manner of different marijuana plants, some with beautiful leaves almost burgundy in color, a wild and wicket purple that appeared almost poisonous. The stench from those was unbelievable. Another of his favorites was a ghostly-white version of the stuff, hardly any green coloration at all clinging to its leaves. "Govno! I would be a fool not to accept this trade. Though, I got to tell you, I am no gardener," he said sadly. He could manage to grow his own spindly, sickly looking plants, but nothing like the gorgeous buds Anselm had just presented him with. "I don't live too far from here. I could go and grab them now for you?" the werewolf offered, thinking about the distance. It really wasn't much of a trek, and Rurik figured he could be round and back in just fifteen minutes if he hurried. If he weren't so stubborn and set in his Optime ways, he might have considered shifting to cover the distance faster.

<style>
.rurik-angel {width:400px; background-color:#E1E3D8; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_angel.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-top:10px; padding-bottom:286px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:1px; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
.rurik-angel b {color:#2A5784;}
.rurik-angel strong {color:#0A3966;}
.rurik-angel p {text-indent:40px; padding:0px 12px 0px 12px; margin:1px 0px 10px 0px; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">-extra satisfied with this post.- i figured that'd be a good segue into the home brewing thing. Big Grin
@&#&$You couldn't win 'em all--Anselm had tamed fire long ago and his grip on the earth tightened every day. He envied the birds for their flight and in some ways this wolf for mastering the sea, but on the whole he accepted that neither of those domains would ever be his. He could look to the skies and dream or imagine; he could look across the sea and wonder. He could ascend great peaks, climb trees, or take a casual dip in a lake or river, but here he was a wistful guest, neither the guru nor the maestro. Ultimately it was fitting--he told himself the sky would grow too lonely and the sea too cold; no longer was he jealous. They all had to make excuses just to be happy with what they had.
@&#&$Although the Russian's words regarding the captain were said in jest, Anselm couldn't help but crinkle his nose in more than just amusement. So many variables; so many things to go wrong. That was a new one he hadn't even explicitly considered. It was bad enough to be at the mercy of the weather and the waves, but to worry about your shipmates as well? What if some bloke went berserk and tossed the entire food or water supply overboard? What if some ignoramus left a candle burning and set the ship ablaze? And when you arrived, what if you found the terrain unforgiving, the climate intolerable, and the locals maddening?

@&#&$His thoughts teetered on the cusp of perturbed and exciting, sending an involuntary shiver up his spine. By the time Rurik spoke again, he was simply relieved. Here was a subject with which he was familiar."Aiyea; they're very small. Kind of the mushroom equivalent of a seed, I don't know if you can see one individually so much as a collection of dust." One ear flicked as Rurik explained his "brown thumb," though Anselm waved his hand dismissively. "A swap of knowledge is just as well--nah, better!-than a trade of goods. I can give you some pointers, perhaps, 'n maybe you can teach me something new. I understand there are many technologies in use overseas that most of us here wouldn't dream of--I'm sure there's something," he said evenly.
@&#&$Although he was completely satisfied with their existing arrangement, he saw no reason not to take it a step further. The hybrid was perceptive and contemplative enough to see infinite possibilities; he was also just opportunistic and impulsive enough to latch on before they could slip away. "We can hash out the details when you get back," he concluded simply--he truthfully had no idea what Rurik might be willing to teach him that he would want to learn. He figured during Rurik's jaunt back to HQ he could brainstorm. Although they just met, he suspected the monochrome pirate would already have a fair idea as to what would interest the Inferni hybrid. "And hey, I'll pack a fresh bowl for then." An extra incentive, perhaps, though quite simply he enjoyed the man's company.
[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/erin_ruriktable.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

BTW, earlier, you should've poked me to reply to you. |: I would've. <3 Also, am thinking to mark this mature thanks to las drugas, y/y? :p Word Count: 850.

Rurik's joke hadn't done anything to ease Anselm's apparent discomfort about sea travel, but Rurik let the subject rest. The silver-furred werewolf figured not everyone was cut out for sea-faring ways, just as he thought he'd be highly uncomfortable flying around in the sky. That was a bird's territory, and perhaps if he had grown up with wings he would feel differently. Sea legs were a far sight different from wings, however, and Rurik wasn't about to go careening off toward the zenith overhead, either. Instead, the conversations shifted back to mushrooms, and Rurik cursed himself for not thinking to bring any of those here. But who would have known that synthesizing plants from plants themselves was possible? The Russian was smart enough to figure out that seeds disseminated plants in most cases, but mushrooms had no seeds that he could identify, so he assumed they reproduced by some other method. "Aye? 'Tis too bad I didn't know this 'fore I headed to this continent," he lamented. It was not so terribly long ago that he'd wandered the streets of Amsterdam, his head in the clouds and his vision filled with the bright and buzzing colors of a mushroom trip.

The tawny-furred Infernian continued to speak, and the werewolf perked his shadow-dusted ears in interest. He didn't know how to do a damn thing with plants, this much was true, but he was quite capable of brewing samogon. True, this homebrew was not nearly as good as the triple-plus distilled polja the Chekov family produced in his hometown, but it damn sure did the trick fast enough. Rurik wondered what kind of scheme this coyote was running here, growing marijauana and poppy flowers for their opiates, maybe even learning how to brew up some liquor. The silver-furred Russian grinned, and nodded his head in agreement. Such a trade was far more commonplace than one would think; in most instances, once information was given by one party, the other was quick to offer up something of their own. "Sounds like a plan, my friend. I make samogon, this is a type of liquor. Pretty easy, if you are interested and you got a strong 'nough stomach," the werewolf said, throwing this out there. If not, there were plenty of other useful little things he might be able to teach Anselm. Since they were on the subject of mind-altering substances, however, that was where the wolf's brain remained.

The Sobirat'sya native stood without much further ado when the other canine agreed to this arrangement, his toothy grin reappearing as the other canine proposed to have celebratory materials on hand for Rurik's triumphant return. "Sounds like a plan," he said. The world seemed a bit more fuzzy thanks to the big hit of smoke he'd taken, but the city streets were almost kinder thanks to the marjuana's influence. The asphalt didn't feel so strange beneath his paws and the steel-and-concrete structures expanding around him, crowding the horizon from his vision, did not seem so awful now that he had just a bit of his happy medicine. The werewolf began to sing to himself as he walked, hurrying his pace along so as not to dawdle. It wouldn't do to keep Anselm waiting all day and into the night; Rurik had been able to surmize the canine lived in Inferni from his scent, and he had to return there at some point or another. It didn't take more than ten minutes for Rurik to return home, digging through the piles and bags and boxes of crap they'd both scavenged from the city and imported from their homeland. Liliya was in her room, the door wide open, and she called to Rurik as she heard him rustling through their things.

Their conversation was brief, and Rurik simply informed his daughter he'd made a new friend, and he was spending some time and doing a bit of trade. That satisfied her, and the teenager took no further interest in her father's actions. Rurik was becoming less cool to his children by the second, and though it saddened him he figured it was rather natural. The time would come again when they'd love him and adore him as they did when they were younger. The trek back to Anselm's was a fair bit easier, as he simply followed the very fresh scent trail he'd made. Once again passing by the decapitated heads, the silvery werewolf ducked inside of the garage, rather triumphantly holding up the folded envelope of seeds. Surely some of them would have died in the long months since they'd last seen the soil of the earth and the water from the sky, but there had to be a few viable seeds left there, and so long as Anselm could reproduce just one of the plants he'd have a stash for the year afterward. "See? We are neighbors," the werewolf said with a laugh, placing the packet of seeds down on the table. There was no need to cause them added trauma now; they'd been through quite a lot in their journey around the world.

<style>
.rurik-gifterin p {text-indent:40px; margin:0px; padding:0px;}
.rurik-gifterin b{color:#FFFEEB;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
@&#&$"Scheme" was certainly a good word for it. Although he yet remained ignorant to AniWaya's horse breeding operation and the farming of food animals in Phoenix Valley, perhaps something had permeated the collective consciousness of their peninsula: it was time to hop on the trade bandwagon. No longer was holding down the fort enough--the packs needed more than just land, food, and water if they wished to participate in the "global" market of their modern world. To the less feral Europeans it was business as usual, perhaps, and the number of immigrants to settle in Nova Scotia seemed to be on the rise. Hazy skills he taught himself from books had been in their families for generations and already perfected to an art form. If he couldn't be an expert carpenter, blacksmith, or tailor, he'd just go for the next best thing--he'd find a form of "currency" with which to buy the tradesmen's time and labour.
@&#&$And who didn't love drugs? They were not regulated or stigmatised as they were in the time of the humans, and it was easy to find time to toke up for even the busiest of individuals. It took him less than an hour to do his morning exercises, maybe four to do all of his rounds for the day, and, if he kept alert for food in addition to foes during that time, only one more to catch himself a passable meal. Even if he slept for half the day, that left a wealth of time to tend to the gardens, bullshit with the locals, or study up on some new skills. That didn't mean that everyone preferred the same substances, however--thus his interest in expansion. Smoke and drink were the two most common vices that he knew of, so when the Russian mentioned a home distillery his ears shot forward with interest. The supply left behind by the humans was dwindling by the day, growing harder to find as the most popular bars were sucked dry. "That certainly fits the bill for me, friend," he said, tongue snaking out to lick his black lips, which, through some combination of the drug and excitement, had grown dry.

@&#&$Once the greyscale man departed, he went on his own little mission. He figured it would be so brief he needn't lock the garage--the supplies he was interested in were remarkably easy to come by in old human dwellings. Across the street, a faded plastic tricycle was tipped over on its side. He would try here first. The building itself was still in pretty damn good shape--he'd almost wonder why Maz hadn't established herself here instead of the garage until he recalled her car fetish. He stepped onto the faded and frayed welcome mat and tried the door. Locked. Fuck. His black-tipped ears fell back before he gave it a good shake and a pounding, but like a long lost soldier who never got the message the war had ended, it remained tall and proud, committed to its intended duty. As he turned around to stake out his other prospects, a small black box stuck to the bottom of the mailbox caught his attention. He'd never seen one before and he couldn't help but poke at it--it looked like some kind of misplaced rectangular barnacle that had glued itself to the cold, rusted metal. Boy, wasn't he surprised when a small golden key fell out?
@&#&$The key clicked into place and his tail swung behind him triumphantly as one final shove finally knocked the door open. The air inside was musty and he didn't care for the stuffy atmosphere, so he decided to be quick. Something about invading these residential buildings always felt stranger to him than going into a bar, department store, or office complex. The ghosts of the owners past stared at him vacantly from faded pictures on the wall--why had he come to disturb their peace? The sensation only grew worse when he stumbled upon four skeletons in the back room. The mother was holding her child and the father had his arms around both. On the floor, the family dog lay quietly, empty eye sockets looking on. A shudder coursed through his body and he jerked open a drawer to the desk in that same room. Inside was crumpled paper money and shiny golden rings much too small to fit on any luperci's finger: worthless.
@&#&$After grabbing five sheets of paper, an old marker whose function he confirmed, and--as an added bonus--several plastic sheet covers he was gone. He locked the door behind him and exhaled, not having realised he'd been holding his breath as he made his way back toward the front door. He decided to keep the key, however--maybe he'd have another use for that place someday. The entire ordeal had taken less than ten minutes and he made it back just as Rurik might have reached his HQ. Already he began to scrawl some messy notes onto one piece of paper--his handwriting was shaky and basically chicken scratch, but as he used print instead of cursive, it was at least approximately legible. He guessed that if as much went into brewing alcohol as went into successfully growing plants, having written records would be helpful. When he made it through about a page his hand began to cramp up, and here he sighed, stopped, and packed the bowl he'd promised. His muscles weren't used to being exerted in such a way.
@&#&$Just as he sprinkled the last bit of green on top, Rurik appeared in the door. "Good timing," he said with a grin, as if it were something the Russian had planned and not mere coincidence. The stash promised at the start of the transaction remained on the table, and he supposed the other male would grab it as he left. "Can you at least sort of read this?" he wondered, holding up the paper with his notes for Rurik. So far he'd only gotten through watering requirements; he wrote how to tell if they were being watered too much or not enough, as both could cause problems. That left lighting and fertilisation, although the last one was pretty easy.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +1041
[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 849

The silver-furred werewolf had quite a lot of experience in the area of alcohol. He'd been drinking practically since birth, his stomach growing steadily stronger with each sip of liquor, beer, or wine he took. Of the three, he preferred the first one most of all, since it generally tasted better than wine and did not require copious amounts to become drunk like beer. Given the choice between nothing or either wine or beer, however, Rurik would've taken either in absence of the good stuff. Aside from that, the werewolf flirted often with marijuana, enjoying the hazy happiness of it swirling about his head. He had developed quite a tolerance for these two substances thanks to lifelong use, but at least he kept himself under control. Rurik was not an addict—he had seen one or two in his time, and they were not a pretty sort of people. Beyond the two basic substances which Rurik used, he'd dabbled in other chemicals. Mushrooms were fun, but though Rurik enjoyed their hallucinogenic properties, he rather thought they took a lot out of the user. It was difficult to be productive and more difficult to talk to others for him—his imagination was not so strong, so when chemicals altered his brain and dazzled him with faint hallucinations of images, shapes, and colors, he preferred to turn inward and simply enjoy these things rather than socialize. He'd dabbled with opium before, and while he appreciated that feeling—it was really, really nice, to be truthful—that was the chemical he'd seen ruin others most often. It was about the most addictive thing that was common use for the canines. Even their tobacco was far cleaner than the humans, free of the chemicals and additives that turned them to poison.

As the silver-furred werewolf placed the packets down, he noticed Anselm was doing something with paper. For all his love of language, Rurik had not been able to completely master writing all of them. His lingual prowess was verbal-based, and he could write only in his mother tongue. Reading, however, was a different matter entirely, and though he'd once struggled with English, he did not find it nearly so difficult to digest now. The silver-furred werewolf grinned, and nodded his head to show he would certainly understand it. It might take sounding the words out like a child and reading it over three times, but Rurik would get the picture sooner or later, perhaps even copying the words down in the Russian language so he could refer to them more easily. "Sure can, unless you're writin' something other than English," the Russian joked, his pale yellow canines showing in a broad grin. It was a joke—from the tawny-furred man's accent and his general demeanor, Rurik had surmised he was not a foreigner, and it was unlikely he knew how to speak or write any languages other than English. The silver-furred werewolf couldn't hold anyone's preferences or interests against them, however; perhaps it was just not Anselm's way to engage in that sort of learning.

The Russo reached out for the bowl, flicking the lighter with his large, awkward paw and drawing it to the green. It flared up and burned brilliant orange and then black as it began to char, and the werewolf drew in a large cloud of smoke, passing the still-smoking bowlpiece over to the other canine. Rurik held this large cloud of smoke until his lungs burned and his eyes watered, exhaling a great cloud of smoke that billowed outward. "This is some very good travka. This is what will come out if I follow your instructions?" the werewolf asked, excited. It was one thing to take bud from the earth; it would be a different thing entirely to grow his own. Perhaps if he ever went back to the other side of the world he could bring it back; no doubt this strain was something entirely exotic from what they had on the far continent. "Samogon is not so hard to brew, but you gotta be careful, too," the silver-furred Russian added with a mischievous smile. True, if one was not very careful brewing any kind of liquor had the potential to go wrong, whether it was from an explosion or over-fermentation or even just a bad batch, but people had been brewing the same kind of moonshine that Rurik spoke of for many, many years. It was quite simple, really, and the recipe could be altered for virtually any flavor and any type of liquor. "Ready to write?" the Russian asked, that playful grin still stuck on his face. He had to emphasize to Anselm not to brew anything with bits and pieces of the fruit or whatever he chose to make his alcohol with—anything containing cellulose might produce methanol, or whatever that meant. In truth, Rurik had no idea what that statement really meant, but it had been in just about every samogon recipe book he'd ever read. Obviously, it meant something, otherwise so many authors would not have made a precaution against it.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bones b{font-weight:bold; color:#B44100; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bones strong{font-weight:bold; color:#B88060; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bones p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
.rurik-bones{width:400px; background-color:#DED2C2; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bones.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 252px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
@&#&$Anselm considered his own exposure to foreign language "adequate;" by that, he could identify the more common accents. He wouldn't have been able to place Rurik's as Russian before meeting the monochrome werewolf, although he had at least heard of the country--it was fucking huge and pretty hard to miss on the dusty world maps he'd seen in the city's empty classrooms. As for actual fluency, English was the only language he could speak well and read or write to any appreciable extent.
@&#&$His mother, a Mexican wolf and desert coyote mix, had impressed some of the Spanish language upon her son while he was growing up--though he might sound rather daft to a native speaker, he was at least functional to the point where he understood the gist of others' conversations (supposing they talked slowly enough) and he could convey his own basic messages. Trying to decipher it in print would've been completely hopeless were the language not so phonetic. If he struggled he could sound out the words, but he barely had enough patience to read in English. So far the only documents he'd found en español were small glossy books (magazines) about (apparently) popular humans whose worth he could not tell anyway, and now he passed by anything not written in English without a second thought. Needless to say, he certainly couldn't write in Spanish.
@&#&$At any rate, he was pretty sure it didn't matter. If nothing else, one thing had remained constant since man's demise--foreigners who turned up around these parts usually spoke English. If he intended to travel around the globe as Rurik had, he'd probably need to brush up on his existing skills and expand further. As such journeys were nowhere near the horizon, however, he considered it a non-issue. The wolf had a smooth tongue and a fairly extensive vocabulary, but on the whole he was not very linguistically (or artistically) inclined. He was more scientific, and some languages were so convoluted it was nigh impossible for him to find enough regular patterns or rules to "get it" without growing frustrated and giving up. Spanish really was one of the easy ones.
@&#&$"Pretty sure if anything else starts coming out coherent I'd be a man possessed," he joked back, still appreciative of the humour and not even sparing a thought for his mediocre Spanish. Instead he simply took the smouldering bowl and nursed it gently, causing the material to smoke while sparing the lighter's fuel. Even as he held the hit in, he took a second piece of paper and began to scrawl some fertilisation instructions (which basically consisted of finding some dirt--preferably dark in colour and light in density--from the forest floor, avoiding sand, gravel, and clay). He exhaled off to the side, glancing up only at the other man's question.
@&#&$"Well hopefully," he said, knowing better than to make a promise on anything where so many variables were involved. "This should get you going in the right direction, at least; a lot of it is just paying attention to the plants. If they start turning yellow or the tips start dying, there's something wrong; check my notes. The other thing I didn't write here, 'n I know it sounds weird, is you've got to kill the males. Only the flowering plants are good for anything, and if they get fertilised, they're actually less potent." He'd been fairly vigilant over the course of the summer--of course some would always slip through the cracks, thus the seeds he had left to distribute or plant again, but he'd largely kept it to a minimum. "I can show you the leaves of the two sexes in a bit so you can tell the difference, but it usually helps to have a magnification lens," he explained.
@&#&$He nudged the bowl back over; he'd need more time to finish up his own notes before getting started on the brewing process. "Hold up; my hand ain't used to this shit," he said lightly, scarcely ashamed. At least he could manage anything at all. With a few more minutes of dedicated focus, he managed to complete his lighting notes. Here he took both pieces of paper and tucked them into one of the protective plastic covers. "Whew; alright, go ahead." He shifted the marker around a bit in his hand; at least it was thicker than a pen or a pencil. For his own notes he was hoping a few key words would be sufficient--just enough to jog his memory later.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +757
[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 1222

Language was something that Rurik took great pride and love in; he had grown up speaking Russian, and over the years he had picked up several other languages and several fragments of languages. He knew how to say hello and goodbye in many of them, and he was especially interested in the origins and families of languages. He was not surprised to have learned that the Romance languages had a common root; they shared so many traits with one another. French and Spanish had many similarities, and when he'd been learning a few Italian words from Cambria, he had picked up some of those same similarities. Italian was the closest descendant of the original language, or so he'd learned—the silver-furred werewolf knew nothing of Latin, and he assumed there were few left who did. It had been a dead language long before the humans were extinguished, though it survived through its children and the many words and roots it had imparted on other languages.

The werewolf watched the other canine write with interest, his bright blue eyes focused on the other canine's sloppy, sloping writing. It certainly was readable, but Rurik was paying more attention to the way he shaped his letters, which loops went before which shapes, and so forth. It was quite interesting for him to watch, though he doubted it would help him learn to write English any better, as he was unlikely to even attempt that. It was kind of nice, anyway—so far as he knew, there were only three other canines on the whole of this land who were possibly capable of comprehending his handwriting. Two were his children, and the third was the odd wolf he'd met on the beach shortly after getting here, pretty and clearly dangerous Marishka. He didn't have to worry much about his children; he doubted Silas and Liliya would be interested in what he had to say in notes or journal entries. As for the other one, the silver-furred werewolf hadn't even approached his home in Halifax with her.

The notes that Anselm scribbled would be tucked carefully in one of the Russian wolf's journals and studied, for sure—if it was at all possible to grow plants on a ship, Rurik would have to try it. The other wolf began to respond to the wolf's question, and Rurik nodded. It was a matter of his own skill, of course—it was doubtful that anything of his own would come out very much like Anselm's bud the first time around. Disappointing as that was, Rurik knew with time he might become very good at raising these plants. The idea that these plants were distinctly male and distinctly female—and that they exhibited differing characteristics—clearly fascinated Rurik, and he looked to Anselm with his brilliant husky eyes. "Male and female plants, huh? Never heard that before. Are other plants like this?" the Russian asked, more curious than anything. He didn't have a general interest in gardening, but he'd never actually seen any difference between different trees or flowers.

Anselm took a break from writing for a moment, heading back after a second. The werewolf reached for the pipe and poked the bud around with one nail, stirring it a bit before lighting it once more and sucking on the far end of the pipe. It wasn't too often he got to smoke out of one of these; though he generally preferred to roll joints the Russian wolf certainly wasn't above imbibing his travka this way. Anselm finished his writing and the werewolf perked up a bit, shaking his head as he placed the smoking implement back down on the table by Anselm, clearing his throat and shaking his head as if to straighten it out. "You need something like an old washing machine, a dryer—maybe even a bucket or a tub," the werewolf mused. He'd seen many different things used as the primary implement for brewing this simplistic recipes. Anselm would figure something out; he had the room for it in this very garage with a small one.

"You need something sugary—fruit, honey. If you can find real sugar that has not spoiled, or someone who can make it, the measurement for this raw sugar is ten kilograms, but you may have to change if you use fruit or honey. There are some in Europe who do refine sugar, but I do not think many refiners would live around here," he said carefully, not wishing to insult Anselm or his culture. Rurik revered the more feral way of life that was dominant on this continent; to live among these simpler canines was almost paradisiacal. They were no less intelligent and resourceful than their European counterparts, they just preferred a way of life that was closer to the ancestors' lifestyle. "After this you need three liters of milk, and roundabout thirty or forty liters of water," the Russian continued, pausing between each bit of speech to allow Anselm to catch up writing. He didn't want to tax the man's hand too much; after all, it was a rather unnatural motion for a Luperci's hand. "You stir this around for two hours in your tub, and then you need to distill it."

Rurik took no chances—it wasn't very likely that Anselm knew how to do this process, so he cleared his throat again. "You have to get a pot, and its lid must have a hole in it. Then you need another two pots, one with two holes on either side and one with no holes. You need pipe, too. Copper, something like that, you know?" the Russian asked. Anselm appeared to be a pretty smart guy; he wasn't sure his explanation was the best but he would understand. "You stick the pipe into the one-hole pot, and pass it clear through the two-hole pot, with the end of it held over the third pot," he said, wincing at his poor description. The werewolf motioned for the other canine's writing implement and pen, hoping to sketch it out for the other canine. "The one-hole pot, put the brew in there, put it over fire, and heat it up. The two-hole pot, you put cold water—as cold as you can make it—in there, and then your final product drips into the last pot," he said, a sheepish grin displayed on his face. "Do you understand?" he asked, hoping the other wolf might pose his questions if he had any.

Recalling the other canine's warnings, the silvery werewolf jumped, smacking his hand against his own knee. "Damn. You write this down, too—make sure! If you use fruit to make your sugar product, you cut out all skin and innards part. Use only pulpy fruit parts, otherwise you make methanol and kill yourself," the werewolf added, far too brightly for talking about potentially brewing a deadly chemical. "I have no idea what that means, methanol, but all of the books say it is deadly," the wolf said, growing slightly more solemn at this. He sincerely hoped the tawny-furred canine would take this advice quite seriously; Rurik had never seen the effects of bad moonshine, and he never hoped to. "Maybe if you look in a library you will find more on these processes, yeah?" he suggested, smiling brightly.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bones b{font-weight:bold; color:#B44100; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bones strong{font-weight:bold; color:#B88060; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bones{width:400px; background-color:#DED2C2; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bones.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 252px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
@&#&$"There are some, but it's rare. I can only think of a couple other examples; two kinds of trees... willows--which I haven't really seen in Canada--and poplars," he explained. Hollies were another species that had come up in the books, but as he'd never actually seen one of these plants he felt less comfortable citing it. "More likely a plant's got both male and female parts... a lot of them have 'em on the same flower, some on the same plant," he concluded with a shrug. Had Rurik caught him later in the year when plants were actively growing, he would have taken him outside and offered a quick run down on the anatomy of a flower.
@&#&$When he'd run into Maserati on his way back into Nova Scotia, she'd left him with the very basic instructions he was scribbling down for Rurik now. It wasn't until a couple months later that he bothered to actually read up on the subject and figure out why; the concept had seemed just as bizarre to him, too. Plants had never been something he paid a whole lot of mind. They looked pretty and he knew some could be used for healing purposes, but they seemed to do their own thing without any intervention on the wolves' part, so why worry about it?

@&#&$As he delved deeper into his research, however, he'd only grown more intrigued. Any random fact or observation could serve as a seed of curiosity in his mind--if only he bothered to nurture these seeds, they would flourish. Anselm was an ambitious man and with nothing to hold him back, he'd make something great out of this business yet. He wanted to go beyond weed, beyond poppies, beyond intoxicants completely. He wanted to pin down the more useful medicinal herbs and cultivate them, too. In this way, he could serve both his country and himself.
@&#&$... of course, it would be a lie to say he wasn't more concerned with personal expansion at the moment. That Inferni would come to benefit from his studies was more a positive externality than an initial motivation. Perhaps it was just as well. If he didn't get into something for his own sake, the likelihood of him sticking with it promptly dropped off to nil. Even this samogon endeavour was only tangentially related, and it would serve as more of a chemistry experiment than a direct contribution to his botanical investigations.
@&#&$He scrawled down the ingredients in list form, frowning inwardly because some of them seemed more exotic than he would have originally guessed. How was he going to get honey without getting stung by the bees? Where would he find enough fruit? Berries grew in the wild but they were exceedingly tiny. To take out the skin and seed would leave very little behind. His best bet was probably an old apple orchard he knew of just outside the city, although he would need to get to the fruit in time--if he waited too long either the deer and rabbits would have themselves a feast, otherwise it might just rot.
@&#&$When the Russian mentioned milk he almost stopped writing entirely, as more and more it appeared to be a lost cause. Where on earth was he going to get milk? He couldn't exactly waltz up to a nursing female and go "Hey, can I get a sip of that?", much less three litres. Sometime later he'd learn of Phoenix Valley's farms of domesticated animals and seek out a trade, but at present it seemed hopeless. He listened with half-hearted interest as Rurik explained the distillation process, now only maintaining enthusiasm due to the "mechanics" of it--he'd already given up on the notion of ever doing it himself.
@&#&$He squinted at the sketch and nodded to show his comprehension, adding a quick parenthetical note of (mall-caps">Pulp Only) next to 'fruit' on his ingredient list. At last he dropped the marker and pulled back on his fingers, stretching them before reaching for the bowl and taking the final hit. He hardly felt slighted by the other man; it wasn't Rurik's fault that the ingredients were so hard to come by. "I suppose we'll both see what happens," he said with a small smile as he exhaled; he'd revealed nothing on the surface that betrayed his inner disappointment. He took the papers and tucked them carefully away; he'd still keep them on file, of course. It never hurt to plan for "just in case," right?
@&#&$He sat dumbly for a moment, mind blanking temporarily after all of the intense focus. A second later his eyes lit up. "Oh, right, so back on the plants. The boy plants have balls, oddly enough," he giggled, finding it more amusing than it really was due to the effects of the drug. "Here," he said, begrudgingly grasping at the marker again so he could draw a shitty sketch of his own on the last piece of paper. "The female plants have these instead," he said, trying to draw one of the pod-like structures with a hair-like pistol sticking out.
@&#&$"You find these at the base of the stems, mostly.. y'know, like where they branch off from the main trunk of the plant. It's good to take the males out as soon as you see 'em, but if one slips through the cracks and you go to remove it, be sure to shake it as little as possible so it doesn't get pollen on the females," he concluded. Just because he saw no chance of success with his brewing project, it did not mean he wished to sabotage Rurik's grow op. Even if the main thing he took out of this trade was the packet of poppy seeds, he'd hardly be disappointed.
@&#&$With that thought he fished up a merry smile and sank back into the couch, now that he needn't be hunched forward to write any longer. "Hey, man, why dontcha pack another?" he wondered. "My fingers 're beat," he said with a grin. They'd done enough business and talked enough science for the day--now it was time to tip the high over the edge and just space out.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +1035
[/html]
[html]

Archive whenever you read this. Word Count: 506

Rurik was fascinated by the notion of plants having entirely different sexes; the silver-furred werewolf boggled at this idea. He tried to imagine what it was like for a plant to have a dick—and he almost snorted aloud with laughter at that thought. It was impossible to picture plants with anything like canine genitalia; the silver-furred werewolf's loopy-high mind was simply trying to conjure the impossible. Rurik was also totally useless with the names of these plants—a tree was a tree was a tree to Rurik, and there was no differentiating by name. Tilting his head to the side, the Russian wondered at this—they had both parts? Such a concept was foreign and almost gross to the Russian, who wrinkled this nose at this.

In describing the brewing processes of samogon, Rurik had forgotten one vital thing: he was no longer in Russia. Things like milk and sugar were exceptionally difficult to find in these parts; whatever milk that was leftover from humans had spoiled rotten and dried to dust years ago, and it was highly unlikely sugar was still viable after so many years. The werewolf had not considered that these things would be extremely had for Anselm to find, but he continued to babble about it happily until he'd come to the conclusion, interjecting one final piece of advice as he pulled out a tiny bottle of what appeared to be human-salvaged stuff. He set this on the table. "This is yeast—throw a few pinches in before you let it ferment. You can grow this stuff, too. I think, anyway," the werewolf admitted with a laugh.

"Aye, this would be the best we can hope for," he said in response to the Infernian's suggestion of experimentation. They would both do their best despite having little foreknowledge of the tasks they were undertaking—though the silver-furred werewolf was certainly appreciative of this meeting. They'd traded in far more ways than one—a swap of knowledge, a swap of product, a swap of friendship. The other canine continued speaking for a moment, his next statement eliciting an outright guffaw from the silvery Russian. "The plants have balls?" he repeated, still chuckling beneath his breath and shaking his head from side to side, disbelief on his face were it not for the myriad of useful stuff Anselm had already provided him with.

"No worries, my friend. I'll kill the ones with balls," he said, still snorting under his breath at this thought. "Thank you," he added brightly as an afterthought. Anselm's suggestion seemed most doable to Rurik, and he grinned broadly, and nodded, packing a little bit more of the bud into the pipe. He took his first hit as was custom—not thinking, for the moment, that perhaps Anselm's customs were different—and passed the thing back over to Anselm, reclining on the couch, quite happy with this meeting here today. It had proven most useful, and he'd met Gabriel's cousin and befriended another of the Inferni clan. A good day, indeed.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]