Sending him off into what comes after
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bott0m.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:240px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#252237">
We've been waiting a long time XD Backdated to some time in early October, I believe.

Jantus had arrived with his company. It had been a long trek, but he'd brought them here successfully, and they could finally pay respects to the one connection all of them had in common. He knew that despite his own relief, this meant much more to the wolf Aivyr, who had been closer to the deceased and had taken on a nearly year-long journey to take news of Skoll's death north, to find his long estranged family and deliver the news. The fact that he had also brought a family member back gave new meaning to their venture. It was not just to pay respects, but also to organize the last meeting between brothers, who had been apart for nearly all their lives. Skirnir hadn't seen Skoll in over six years. Now, this was as close as he would ever get.

Jantus had howled from far off approached the Phoenix Valley border, and hoped that they would meet Jefferson once they arrived. The alpha had done them a great service and taken a great risk, allowing so many people into his land unimpeded. They were an intimidating bunch, the majority of them exceeding seven feet in height...as such, they would need to leave their weapons outside and unshift prior to entering the friendly territory. It was alright, though. They feared no treachery here...it had been a past leader of this area that had buried their friend, after all, and even under new leadership, he doubted they'd punish others for having shared friends.

The coyotes had become dour, and Jantus found it hard to look at them. Asphyxia's children were having some trouble knowing what to feel, having never before met their father...indeed, he had died mere months before their birth. Aivyr had little to say, and Skirnir, the brother, was quiet and contemplative. Jantus supposed that there were a great many things that he would have liked to say to Skoll, if only he'd met him alive. Mala and Ranya were tough, like him, but even they seemed affected. Ranya, he knew, had received a gift from Skoll in the tournament he'd thrown a year ago. He knew that--after the stories he and Samson had brought back--they revered Skoll to some degree, and were saddened in their own way. As for his own feelings...he supposed he would wait until the ceremony itself to explore those.

[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... lelala.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

He'd been expecting them sometime around then, as the year pulled to its slow finish and winter began to blossom with full force. Snow had already fallen, but small spurts of rain throughout the week was already waning down what ice and snow was on the ground. There was little he could do about it; Jefferson cared little for the weather, though he preferred a gray, plain overcast to rain. This was, of course, because rain brought an ache to the joints and bones of his bad leg. Moving on it was miserable, but with his luck, it was no surprise that the howl of his expected visitors fell on the day when he could barely place the tips of his claws to the ground without a shooting pain jolting through the entire limb.

He could have shifted to his two-legged form where the pained joints could rest in the makeshift sling across his chest, but the Patriarch had asked Jantus that his visitors arrive in their less intimidating, four-legged forms. It was only fair that the Patriarch do the same. He'd watched the rain a while, but gritted his teeth and pushed himself up onto his three legs and hobbled desperately through the ranch's front door and in the direction of the howl. On his pained leg, Jefferson took his time; the howl had been purposely far off, giving the Patriarch time to dawdle if needed. As he moved along, countless raindrops falling inconveniently and provokingly square in his eye, the cyclops pondered why he had not asked Geneva or Tyrone along just to be safe. He supposed, in the end, it was because he was still the independent creature he was in the beginning. If something was to be taken care of, it was better he just do alone. Besides, if Jantus and his pack of buddies were plotting something, it was better Jefferson be the one to be taken down rather than risk the olive-eyed goddess and his former apprentice at the same time. Now that Iskata was gone, those two were the only ones he still held close to his chest.

He stood tall in the rain at Phoenix Valley's edge, green eye staring into the mess and mist of the downpour. Undaunted, he waited. He had a funeral to attend, or so it seemed.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... bott0m.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-bottom:240px; background-position:bottom center; background-color:#252237">
Sorry if it takes me a day or two between each post; the tournament in Lascivio as well as real life activities have been distracting me of late -__-

Soon, they arrived at the Phoenix Valley border. Jefferson had arrived there in answer to his howl, and Jantus was grateful. It was a bit awkward looking down on him from nearly eight feet, however, and he quickly dipped his head in respect and doffed his gear, placing it beneath a tree. The rest of them did the same, most weapons wrapped up in skins or placed in sheaths to hopefully avoid rust. Then, all of them began to shift. Jantus had the most mass to shed, so the process was longer for him than for most of the others. The coyotes completed their shifts first, with Jantus coming near the end and the Holocausts and Axehand child completing their shifts last, having had the least experience. When the party had finished, they came closer to Jefferson, right up to where they supposed the actual line of his territory was.

"Do we have permission to enter?" Jantus yelled over the rain. Honestly, he would have preferred they hold this off until the storm passed. They wouldn't be able to hear themselves if it didn't let up. "I can introduce you to the company if you've got a place we can shelter for a while, and we can do this thing when the rain stops?" He didn't know the pain the alpha was in, nor where the nearest shelter was, or even the location of the graves. All he knew was that his job was to get these people to his border, and he had done as much. It was in Jefferson's hands, now.

The three kids behind him--a year old, now--didn't seem entirely pleased about being here, though they knew better than to complain. The coyotes looked underfed with their fur clinging to their lean frames...though that was to be expected of coyotes; their thin bodies would ever look so to a wolf. Aivyr stood beside Skirnir, whose solemn regard seemed to deepen with the rain. Jantus's sisters stood at his left, Ranya studying Jefferson's scars as if appraising them. He'd have told her to stop, but as it stood he'd need to wait until the noise of the downpour relinquished and Jefferson gave them his answer before he could say anything to her in private.

[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... lelala.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Feel free to skip us over to the cabin.

Jantus and his group arrived promptly as expected, though the cyclops had not imagined so many to be coming. Had Jantus mentioned the number of faces that would be visiting the dead man's grave? Probably, but anything more than an estimate had slipped the Patriarch's mind. So many foreign eyes and faces was somewhat intimidating for the one-eyed leader who dedicated so much time guarding his pack; he knew Jantus to be somewhat peaceful and for the most part harmless, but Jefferson couldn't help but be on his toes. The group was gigantic; whoever this Skoll ghoul had been, he'd been popular as hell.

"Sure," Jefferson replied with a casual shrug of the shoulders. He knew how to be polite and make himself look presentable, but there wasn't much need. This funeral procession would be in and out in no time and the whole thing would be far behind him. His green eye subtly noticed a few strange looks he was receiving, namely from a few youngsters who were clearly less than excited to be there. Perhaps it was strange to them that they were facing yet another cyclops as if he and Jantus were members of some secret alliance.

He straightened his posture and nodded. "Sounds good. There's a smaller cabin a short walk away. The ghouls will be there when we're ready." He smirked some, mostly to himself and his wit, before leading the troupe with his three-legged limp, scars, and all. Had they not known better, perhaps they might have mistaken Jefferson himself for a long, dead ghost who fell to his wounds.

[/html]
[html]
Thanks for replying so quickly. PS: I lol'd at his introduction. Some NPC's will be offended, but I'm finding Jefferson to be more colorful the more I read him =P Also, should I assume they're inside the cabin or under an awning of some kind?

It was hard to hear over the rain, but those that did had mixed feelings about the alpha of this territory. He was certainly interesting to look at: all scars and cockiness, seemingly. The children were a bit intimidated by him, all that damage on a wolven body seemed hardly to fit...seemed hardly natural. Indeed, to them he looked like a ghoul himself, and they wondered how much a person could actually get hurt before they died. Had their father looked like that when he finally went down? Mala, Ranya, and Aivyr were offended by the term 'ghoul' associated with their fallen friend, but they stayed their anger and followed their de facto leader as he followed behind Jefferson. It took more than an off-color remark to really offend Jantus...Jefferson hadn't known Skoll, and he'd be surprised if a wolf who had suffered such mutilation didn't have a black sense of humor. Tanya and Nikolov, the oldest in the group at nine years each, shared his attitude.

Before too long, the group made it to the cabin, and escaped the rain. The kids tried to shake themselves dry, where the adults mostly separated before attempting to do the same. What a miserable day, especially for this sort of event. Jantus attended the alpha as soon as he felt he could do so without dripping all over him.

"I promised you an introduction. There are a lot of us, so I don't expect you'll remember all of us. M'name's Jantus, again. These three yearlings are Ambien, Culexa and Trigger. Kids of the deceased." The black, tan-yellow, and bicolored yearlings all looked to Jefferson with expectant looks, typical of youths who were unsure of what to do next. They were adolescents anymore, but they still felt awkward and out of place deep in territory that had apparently been known to their father, but was wholly strange to them. "The gray and tan wolf is Skirnir, Skoll's brother. Alpha of the StoneTree pack far in the northwest." The eight-year old dipped his head in deference to the alpha of Phoenix Valley, making a brief statement of thanks to the three-legged male before him. When he was done, Jantus continued.

"These two are my sisters, Mala and Ranya." He tilted his head in their direction. Their fur-pattern was varied like his own, black cascading into gray and finally white on their underbellies. Neither of them had the sheer girth of their brother, but they were still unusually tall and heavy, as big as the standard male. They clearly belonged to a litter that had come after their older brother's. "The white wolf is Aivyr, a student of Skoll's in the fighting arts and an ally to all of us in times of need. The two coyotes are Tanya and Nikolov, who we were also acquainted with through wartime alliance. Incidentally, it is where most of us know Skoll from, as well, barring his children and brother, who never knew him through that part of his life." He gave Jefferson a grim look. Usually, Jantus was good about dealing with dark feelings, but today, between the rain and the down-drawn faces of his comrades, he was beginning to feel a tightness in his own chest.

"Thank you again for your hospitality in letting us do this. It is important to us: we've come a long way. Most of us are warriors, if you hadn't guessed, or at least experienced in that walk of life. Hopefully, in leaving our weapons and standing forms behind we've assuaged any concern that might cause." He was unsure of any further formality Jefferson was interested in observing, but he would do what he needed to do to get them to that grave.

[/html]
[html]
I couldn't do a whole lot for the introductions. I hope that's okay. Also, they can all fit inside the cabin.

The move to the cabin was rather quiet; he chatted briefly with Jantus while the troupe followed accordingly; his single green eye could see the skepticism in their faces and his tattered ears could hear their whispers and scorns. Why did it bother him? He was Phoenix Valley's leader, the pack's representative and nearly the pack's oldest member. In reality, the opinions of strangers -- their views on him, the thoughts they formed on seeing his scarred coat and hearing the few words he'd spoken -- meant nothing to him for he'd already been shaped and was no longer worth their manipulation. However, standing alone that day, he was Phoenix Valley personified as its representative, and their whisperings against him were thus put against his pack instead. That, all in all, was what brought a darkness to his eye, but Jefferson simply remained silent and moved on.

Introductions began, an overall flood of foreign and remarkable names that he would never be able to remember save a few unique names put to unique faces. The late Skoll's children were introduced first; they looked awkward and unsure, almost opposite of the three individuals who had appeared to him claiming to be his own children. They'd been full of hate and vengefulness, while Skoll's children seemed... humbled, in a way. Clearly, he'd done something right in his parenting that Jefferson had been unable to do in his absence of his childrens' lives. "I'm sorry for your loss," was all he could choke up to them. Out of the other eyes in the room, the yearlings' were the least skeptical somehow. When he repeated the same phrase for a few other introductions -- the dead one's brother and apprentice -- he forced the same sympathy. He didn't know Skoll. Jefferson didn't even know a family more than names and a few faces. He hadn't grown up alongside someone, or at least he couldn't remember it. The empathy he should have had was simply not there, but was somehow genuine only for the dead man's three children and their awkward eyes.

"My name is Jefferson," he introduced himself loudly when Jantus was finished, "I lead Phoenix Valley, where your loved one resides." 'Loved one'? What kind of bullshit was that? He glanced back at Jantus and nodded, shrugging. "Hey, who am I to mess with the dead? Last thing I want is a curse, and from the sounds of this Skoll, he sounds like he'd have one hell of a curse to dish out." He breathed. "You can relax here; you won't be attacked while I'm around. Your weapons will be fine; the members already know to leave them alone." The rain poured still, tapping the roof over their heads in an endless rhythm, though it seemed it might let up soon.

[/html]
[html]
Of course. I'll get the show on the road. Jefferson can take them to the grave site, they can say a few words in one or two posts, and then they can be on there way?

At Jefferson's pledge, the group let down their guard and let themselves relax within the pack's cabin. It was unusual for most of them to rest or even find themselves in a maintained human structure, with the exception of Nikolov and Tanya who kept mostly to themselves within an old human suburb. The sisters seemed to keep closer together than usual...something about the atmosphere prompted them to be more familiar than was typical since their growing up. Perhaps the new place and the occasion. Skoll and Asphyxia's children stayed close by Jantus, though they seemed more interested in Jefferson as the situation became more welcoming and less formal. Still, they said little...they were old enough to know better than to pry during this event.

"Didn't figure you for the superstitious type," the giant said under his breath, sitting down and hoping the three-legged wolf would join him. He didn't have pity for Jefferson, the alpha seemed far too self-reliant to suffer such feelings from others, but it still seemed odd to watch him stand and function in such a state...one eye, three legs, scars everywhere...he could understand these things, but all on one person seemed a bit much to him.

"Not sure if I believe in spirits and all," he said quietly, hoping not to be overheard by the kids, "But I figure his memory should be respected, anyway. Skoll was an old warrior while he lived here, but he told us he didn't make much of an impression. Storm, then later Shadowed Sun, was sort of his sanctuary from the violent life he used to lead." Jantus flicked an ear the same way he might shrug in shifted form. "He was still around a long time. Shame we missed the woman who buried him, as it might've been good for the kids." He considered asking Jefferson how things were over here, now that the old wolf was gone, but it was a stupid question. Things clearly hadn't changed much. Skoll's passing hadn't made an impact as far as he could see, not even with people who knew him well enough to bury him. The status quo had been maintained...he didn't know if that made him happy or not.

It wasn't long before Tanya called attention to the fact that the rain was subsiding. In a few minutes, it would be possible for them to go outside and begin. It seemed strange to come all this way for a ceremony that wouldn't take them more than a few minutes. The lot of them might want to stand around the grave a bit more than a few minutes, but the things they'd come to say, the respects they'd come to pay, wouldn't take long. Hopefully it would all be done before Jefferson became impatient with them. He'd been hospitable enough, despite his quirks, however, and Jantus approved regardless of some other attitudes.

[/html]
[html]
Take your time.

At his comment, Jantus earned himself a playful smirk from the one-eyed Patriarch. "Superstitious, no. Sarcastic, yes." That was the truth of it, all in all; he was a bastard deep down, unafraid to toy with his words even when they involved the dead and their loved ones. Jantus continued however, making small talk as they waited out the rain; what he said, however, was not the typical chatter of an idle mind. Jantus spoke wisely and knowledgeably of their dead comrade -- as the day continued to progress, Jefferson silently stored away their words in the back of his mind, considering each as they passed through his ears. The dead, the alive, the afterlife -- these things were so foreign to he that considered everything, and he could only wonder how the world would react the second he left it behind. "He sounds like a life to be remembered," the cyclops said slowly, all seriousness in his voice. "You honor him by coming."

With some organization, Jefferson moved the funeral party back outside the cabin and once again took their lead, the single Valley man against a mass of foreigners. Jantus, his fellow cyclops, was someone he could trust and comfortably walk beside. As they moved along, Jefferson pointed out a few places of interest they were passing, including the Ranch where he resided and the Three Moons Lakes that neighbored it. Even covered in snow and ice, the land of Phoenix Valley was beautiful; as Jefferson moved along, he realized perhaps the land he watched over so closely was worth the resting place of Skoll through its beauty, if nothing more.

The cemetery was a dark and dismal place. Members of his pack rarely visited it as most of the headstones were foreign and belonged to unfamiliar strangers. He himself had only visited a few times; the air was thick and primarily untouched by sunlight, creating a rather eerie atmosphere even Jefferson preferred to avoid. Surrounded by brush and hidden in sanctity in the deepest heart of the small surrounding forest, the Patriarch nearly got them lost a few times en route through the trees (he didn't mention this out loud, of course), but within a decent amount of time, they burst into the open area. "This is it," he introduced. "Small but homey. Hopefully your friend is here."

[/html]
[html]

The group was impressed by what it saw of Phoenix Valley, and though it had gotten an inkling on its way up here, for the first time the older members understood why people would deal with this place. It was beautiful, moreso than the Pine, though Jantus and his sisters would not make light of the home they'd fought over and protected. What was more, they had made effective use of human structures, which wasn't a boast they could make (barring the coyotes, who had been living in run-down human abodes for many years now). It did seem to be a good place to be lain to rest.

Jantus nodded to the rest of what Jefferson said, though he got quieter as they got closer to the point of their business. He had words to say himself, as he knew he would probably be called upon to begin the ceremony. Short and sweet would be the name of the game, for him; he was bad at being sentimental. By contrast, he remembered Skoll being a bit overblown about this sort of thing...he tried to put romanticism into some things that both of them knew good and well were starkly brutal and all too real to be idealized. Aivyr had some of that too. He supposed that maybe what he'd seen on those occasions when the golden-tan wolf had waxed poetic was the remnant idealism of a younger wolf whose beliefs had led him into this life. Most fighters came into it with some cynicism: it was a job and nothing else. Maybe it took a disillusioned idealist to reach that level, to have the dedication to take what others considered a tragic fact of life and pursue it so far. He certainly didn't sound very idealistic sometimes...but he thought he could remember Tanya once saying that the most cynical of all were those dreamers who had been betrayed by their ideals. He'd never know for sure, and he supposed the point was moot, now.

He nodded his thanks upon reaching the graveyard, and the group immediately set to work finding the stone of their fallen ally, friend, and family member. It was Aivyr who found it first, and the rest of them organized around it, looking somberly at the name etched into stone. In a world where most didn't read, it was a little odd to recognize a stone by a written name. Aivyr's understanding of the human language (he didn't know there was more than one) suggested Skoll should be spelled "Skole," but he couldn't think of anything wrong with the double-'L' spelling. It occurred to him that maybe even Skoll hadn't known the proper spelling of his name...or did people choose their own?

At first all of them stood around it, unsure of how to begin, but at a nudge from Mala, Jantus approached the stone and turned from it to face the rest of them. He'd done a few of these before. He was usually very good about bringing his subordinates back alive from battle, but during the War of Shadows, the odds had not been in their favor, and they had lost far too many, especially after their true alpha, Bold, had fallen.

"Here lies Skoll Axehand, mate of Asphyxia Holocaust; father of Culexa Axehand, Ambien Holocaust, and Trigger Holocaust; brother to Skirnir of StoneTree; son of Freyr and SkyDance; mentor to Aivyr and others; ally to the Snow-Capped Pine; leader of the resistance against the Shadow Priests; and former guardian of the Storm and Shadowed Sun packs." The introduction was long, but he'd memorized it on their way over, and been reciting it as they approached their destination. It was custom to detail the relationships of the deceased to all those present, and to make mention of their important affiliations in life, even if none were present to represent those affiliations.

"Skoll was first met by the Pine in a badly wounded state: his wrist broken, and multiple stab wounds being tended by a friend named Gale and a medic named Sarah. He was on the path of a fleeing cult who had kidnapped the medic's children and attempted a sacrificial raid on his pack of the time: Storm. His wounds had been received by their raiding party, who he had successfully slain. He told us that the cult members sought to return to their brethren, where they would have more strength, keep the children, and continue their religious raids. With him also were the first allies to join his cause: the coyotes Tanya and Nikolov." The coyotes remained silent. "At this point, my alpha Bold and I already liked him, and we weren't alone: his tale of daring bravery had inspired the wolves of the Pine to join him, and a dozen of our number did. He led a successful campaign against these foes with us and fifty others who joined him, and though many of us quailed at the horrors of that war--the details of which will not be uttered in the ears of his children--he stayed strong and brought us through it, despite his injuries. Since then, stories of his heroism can always be heard in the Pine, though you may need to go to his friends if you want to hear them in their true, less fanciful forms." He smiled at that, and some of the audience did, too. Amazing or not, no hero's story was immune to embellishment, either their own or that of others who idolized them.

"We come here to pay respect to this man, to speak his deeds one more time in front of him, to bring his family before him, and to send our farewells when finally we leave him to rest by his stone in the land that he loved." With that, Jantus's head lowered, and he walked from the stone, leaving it open to whomever was next ready to speak. He chose a place nearer to Jefferson to sit back on his haunches and await the next speaker.

[/html]
[html]

At the time they reached the cemetery, it was as if a search party was thrown into action without a word muttered. Jefferson watched quietly from the sidelines as Jantus and his extravagantly large party flooded the gravestones looking here and there anxiously; the cyclops could only think of hungry flies and beetles scouring a dead carcass for food. The cemetery was a small one, rather quaint and with relatively few headstones. When they finally located their friend -- something the cyclops hadn't expected, really -- the group briefly discussed spelling and language, and needless to say the conversation was far over his head. Jefferson was still struggling with trying to teach himself to read, aided only by the knowledge that he'd been able to before his amnesia. Geneva, on the other hand, could read and write effortlessly. Perhaps she'd have been useful in such a situation.

Jantus began. He held the stance and air of a leader, of someone experienced in exactly what he was doing; briefly Jefferson felt a tinge of compassion at the concept, wondering how many funerals Jantus had performed in his day. For the Patriarch, of course, this was a first. He hadn't even known Skoll, but as he stood uselessly in the background and apart from the funeral party as a sidelines observer, Jefferson's full attention lay with them. Some names he didn't recognize were brought to air. A rank or two was mentioned, then the story was laid forth. A creature injured badly while trying to be a hero. He survived, then inspired others and led them into the battle, and now he was a legend. Had he not been struck by the seriousness of the funeral, the cyclops might have ordinarily scoffed.

When he was finished, Jantus stepped away to allow the others to have their time with the dead man's grave. The fellow cyclops took his place beside Jefferson, who pointed his one-eyed stare at the funeral party. They were mourning over a dead man, a ghoul -- and somehow a rock bearing his name brought a level of comfort. Jefferson didn't understand, and yet he knew that if he'd been able to locate the late Iskata, resting her body somewhere safe would probably have done the same. "I don't understand funerals," the Patriarch said, his eye unmoving from those at the grave. "The dead are dead. By now, his body's probably been eaten and his bones frail." He sighed. "But despite that, everything he inspired lives on. I can see that in you bunch. I thought funerals were just for honoring, but I guess this is a way to remember as well." His eye and demeanor was serious, if not somewhat desolate. Somehow, Jefferson wished he'd known this Skoll as well.

[/html]
[html]
I don't expect you to match post length here << I'm thinking maybe two more from each of us? I'll definitely get the eulogies done in my next post.

Jantus turned his head slightly to face Jefferson with his good eye, and offered a thin smile before nodding. Indeed, funerals served both purposes. Honoring what a person had done, but also recounting it and marking the impact they'd had on those that still lived. He had spoken for too many of his packmates who had been committed to the earth, and generally those ceremonies were to honor their sacrifice and grant everyone closure or strength to move on. In this case, though, there were many here who knew nothing of Skoll, or not as much as they should, in the case of his brother. It was only sensible to speak his praises here, in their last send-off. Jantus didn't think that his Pine wolves would come back to this place...he didn't intend to. He was glad it had worked out and they had made it.

"He was a special case. He led us through a war on a different scale than what we'd known. Enemies were more monstrous, our reasons were fueled more by ideals than personal defense. People who go to war with you leave an impression...it's something about knowing you can trust your back with them, I think. I wouldn't expect most people to go to the trouble we have for something as sentimental as a funeral...it just wouldn't sit right not to see old gold off." He was standing behind the main assembly with Jefferson, reflecting on this whole situation...they two were a bit alike in personality, it seemed, and he was glad of it. It was always awkward when he rebounded from emotional situations faster than others...Jefferson gave him someone to talk to, where he doubted the others would have very much to say.

It took a moment for anyone to fill the empty space Jantus had left, but eventually Tanya stepped forward, and began speaking. She was a tough woman, though she didn't like this entire business at all, and was more careful with her words than usual, more thoughtful. The war had been terrible, but she'd ridden it out, and given that both she and her mate had lived through it, she had no regrets. She didn't have a speech to recite, she only knew that she'd been more leery of wolves before meeting Skoll and his companions, and that she supposed it was good that Nik had convinced her to go with them. She thought he was brave and would do what others were afraid to do, because at the end of the day he felt that people were responsible for one another, and that his example had led them to do a thing which they would never have tried without him. Many people who'd heard about the war remembered him for the things that he could do that others could not: the power of his form and the skills he possessed, but Tanya maintained that it was not these which made Skoll stand out; it was not what he could do, but what he would do for people he had never met, and the fact that his example had led others to decide they would do what they could to help him.

As quickly as she left the stone, the gray and tan wolf walked up to it, and faced the rest. He was Skirnir, Skoll's brother, the one least known to the rest of them, and short of the children, the one who had least known the Skoll that had lived here. His voice wasn't heavy when he began...indeed, he had been close to his brother when they were young, but many years had separated them, and it was difficult to summon tears or remorse for a man he had never met, even if the man had been his best friend and brother as a child.

"I didn't know Skoll as any of you have described him. I never met the man who led the War of Shadows, or did any of the other things Aivyr has told me about. It's still hard to believe that my rambunctious yearling brother could go on to become the wolf from your stories. The Skoll that I knew liked competitions, he liked playing and talking about all the big game he'd bring down once he got older. He liked hearing our mother tell stories, and learning things from our dad so that he'd be ready to meet the world head-on when he grew up." To Jantus, he looked very much like his brother as he stood over the grave-site, speaking with the authority and strength that alphas so often picked up through their duties. He had an air about him that Skoll hadn't, and was not wholly less for having stayed up north. Their paths had diverged long ago, but they were both of the same stock; both had done what they could to improve the worlds that surrounded them. Jantus regretted that he would never have the time nor the will to go and see Skirnir's pack...he did not think he would have to look very hard before seeing something of his friend in there.

"The Skoll I knew was full of energy and hope for his bright future. I have always regretted that my father sent him away. I do not know what life would have held for the two of us had he stayed at home. Somewhere along the way, he learned the hard lessons of life, and hearing what I have, I believe that even in knowing them intimately, he chose to fight them where he could. Hearing about the foes he battled and the hopeless odds he faced, I have to think that despite taking the path that he did, and seeing the horrible things that he did, some part of the Skoll I knew survived all that. The exile and the wars, the killings and the thankless tasks...some part of my child brother must have been alive through it all to give him the energy to keep going. I wish that his path could have taken him back up north...but it might be that his southern home needed him more. By all accounts, Skoll, you lived well. I am sorry that you could not do so in your old home." With that, he left the stone and left way for the next speaker.

Jantus's solitary eye widened. He had expected the estranged brother to say a few words, though having been part of the family which exiled him (though at a time when Skirnir was too young to have any say), the Pine wolf expected far more awkwardness from the older wolf. He regarded Jefferson in his periphery. "Whoa." He certainly had been expecting a speech. Aivyr had yet to speak, as did Nikolov. Once those two were finished, they would probably linger for a time, say their last goodbyes, and then be on their way.

[/html]
[html]

Jefferson had never been at war with anything other than himself, thus the words Jantus spoke of were somewhat foreign. To stand beside someone confidently in combat he could understand would create a level of bonding; from what the Patriarch had gathered, there was no experience more damning and disciplining than war. The cyclops would have been grateful to stand out the rest of his days in the peace he knew now, rather than have both he and his underlings suffer in a battle of disagreements and opposing opinions that could have been otherwise settled. He was not a pacifist, no, but the countless scars that shredded his skin were evidence that Jefferson had known the worst conflict well several times and now, after over a year of peace in Phoenix Valley, knew the benefits of peace.

He sighed. How many of the lost members of the Valley -- those who had just suddenly disappeared without a trace, like Iskata and Allegro -- had actually fallen to their deaths and not met the afterlife with closure at a funeral? When it came to those who vanished, Jefferson had always taken extra time to scout out the outside borders of Phoenix Valley in fear he would stumble upon another collapsed, scarred and torn Iskata clinging to life. Every time a member left suddenly, the Patriarch spent the next few days routing out the land outside the Valley just in case, following lingering scents and what little knowledge he had on their traveling tendencies. He'd never had any luck, though he had found Iskata and saved her life, not to mention Addison freezing in the snow. Jefferson had done his share of rescues, most unknown to the world around him, but never amounted to anything more than a one-eyed monster with a foul demeanor. He'd never thought of himself deserving of the honor the late Skoll was now receiving -- the crimes he'd committed in his past were unforgivable.

Jefferson found no words to respond to Jantus, having become lost in his thoughts instead, but eventually focused his eye on the female who stood briefly at the headstone. Who was she? What was her story? The factors in a life that he, the skilled analyst, could not figure out in a stranger were overwhelming. Jefferson sighed, though his ears perked when a male took his turn next. He carried himself well, as if he had led battles and creatures. This wolf, presented as the dead man's brother, spoke of Skoll highly although it became obvious that they had been separated a majority of their lives. Skirnir didn't say it directly, but it occurred to Jefferson that the brother regretted the division, mentioning that Skoll had in fact been exiled, though no details were included. Perhaps then, Skoll himself had committed some crimes despite all the glory he eventually lived up to -- had Jefferson been more sentimental, he might have thought he could do the same.

The cyclops knew none of these people, thus the speech from Skirnir came across as no surprise to him, but it seemed uncharacteristic as Jantus was stricken with alarm and awe. Jefferson simply glanced at the fellow cyclops, then turned his eye to the group again. Jantus and this bunch were like he and Phoenix Valley -- the two groups knew nothing about each other, but there was so much history and stories beneath the fold to share. For now, however, Jefferson noticed a few more faces looking willing to speak, and the Patriarch simply kept his thoughts to himself and remained silent.

[/html]
[html]
Thanks for helping me with this Smile Also, a little tidbit one of my other friends found funny...the coyote Nikolov doesn't call Skoll captain because it was his actual rank...Nik got the name from the crappy old sci-fi novels he reads >>

Jantus and Jefferson sat quietly in back. The sisters stood off to one side, not wanting to speak themselves but glad that they had come. The kids sat front and center, while the coyotes sat to their right. As Skirnir came back among them, it seemed clear that Aivyr or Nik would be next to speak. Eventually, the white wolf decided that he would take his turn now. Skoll had mattered more to him than he had to some others, certainly. Aivyr was the only one who had actively sought to walk the path of Skoll's apprentice, if only for a month or two. When he had lost his family in the war, he had learned the value of peace and of loved ones, and afterward had been unwilling to further pursue the art. He had cooled down a great deal since then...it had been his anger which had carried him away from their defense. He had grown up a lot through the war. Upon hearing of Skoll's death, it had been more pertinent to carry the story northward, to the bronze wolf's family, than to go out and fruitlessly seek revenge.

"I met Skoll during the War of Shadows, the same way many of the rest of you did. I bothered him after the mass lessons he gave us for advanced instruction, and he obliged me. He was my mentor and my friend. He told me of his misgivings, and the mistakes he made along the way. His path wasn't always the bright one we knew...the Skoll we met was already five years old, and the product of four years rife with battle. He had spent six months with his own mentor, though he told me that the training was far more intense than anything we could afford in the middle of war. He had walked gray paths which he warned me--and others--against following. Though it pains me, I think that a path of vengeance against his killer is one of those he would have warned against. Skoll took many lives, but I think that all here can agree that he brought mostly good to the world. I just hope that wherever his spirit has gone, it is a place that celebrates heroes as much as we do here." There was a general nod of agreement amongst the adults, and Aivyr left the mound. A long period of silence stretched out after Aivyr's departure. Just as some were wondering what came next, Nik finally approached the stone himself, facing it and not the others.

"Goodbye, Captain. Maybe you should've lived for yourself once in a while. Anyway, I know it was your goal and all, so I think all of us want to say: you made a difference. I bet you're making a difference in whatever place comes after, too." He looked back at Tanya, the two of them being the oldest members of the group. "We'll be joining you sooner or later. Maybe we'll show you how to take a breather." With that, he departed the mound, and he and Tanya began to vacate the grave site altogether. A few moments later, Mala and Ranya ushered the children away, too. Aivyr and Skirnir lingered...they would be here for a little while longer, it seemed. Jantus turned to the alpha of Phoenix Valley.

"Thank you for this, Jefferson. You have the gratitude of the Snow-capped Pine. You'll be welcome there if ever you come across it. It meant a lot to these people to be able to come here and do this. I'm glad Phoenix Valley has you for its leader." He bowed his head in respect. The departing wolves wouldn't go far, and congregated a short ways away, within site of their host. When the four remaining parties left the grave, it would be over. They'd be on their way back to the border. There, they would spend a few idle weeks exploring the area and getting a feel for the land Skoll had loved so much, and then they would part ways, each of them heading to their own respective homes.

[/html]
[html]

The more they spoke of Skoll, the more Jefferson refused to admit that the dead man's memory vaguely resembled his own. He and Skoll had both known battles during their lives, though admittedly Skoll's were surely more dangerous and rending; Jefferson had known struggles with both the outside and inside world, a creature caustic from his own bitterness and incapability to forgive himself for past deeds. What world he'd grown up in, like Skoll, had been left behind with Maluki along with all the memories, tender or otherwise, that lay there. Jefferson was no hero, that was for sure. Skoll had been a mentor willingly, and probably a good one at that; Tyrone had been the cyclops' apprentice only because Iskata had deemed it so at the time. Whether or not the then-Praeas had served his duties well was another story, but for the most part, DaVinci's son had primarily turned out well. Could he call himself a hero then, in seeing that Tyrone had grown up shaped despite a troubled household? No, he couldn't.

But Aivyr spoke of Skoll as a killer -- funny, Jefferson should have seen that. The dead man had seen wars unlike anything else, or at least his comrades seemed to think so. The cyclops refused to see himself as anything worthy of praise for similar sins of the past, most of which his amnesia had forbidden from his memory (which was probably for the best). Jefferson didn't know how many crimes he'd committed as wild-eyed Maluki, but he could only assume they were unforgivable, what with bastard children biting at his heels and dozens of faces recognizing him but wondering what had changed him so. Skoll had found the means of compensation somehow; Jefferson could not, or at least he would not let himself.

It was Nikolov's words that brought the cyclops' tattered ears back against his skull. The boy's goodbye was brief, but its tenderness cringed at the scarred man's single eye. He was a leader himself, trying to make differences for those he watched over. He was their guardian, or so he tried to be. Had he stirred any change in any of them? Had he bettered the pack Iskata had left for him, or would she only look away in shame should she see him now? The brute frowned and turned his gaze away; this funeral was turning into a court for his own character put on the stand, accused and denied by himself alone.

Jefferson looked at Jantus as he spoke with a sadness and pain in his eye, ears still held back in shame even when the fellow cyclops declared the pack fortunate to have him there to lead. No thoughts browsed his mind, nothing denied the compliment outright in his head, but Jefferson found a slight smile and nodded, extending a hand. "Glad I could help, cyclops," the brute said, his smile slowly widening into something realistic. "I'll have to make a point to come visit sometime, if I can find it. You're always welcome back here; Skoll's not going anywhere. You can trust me with that." He bowed his head as well in proper respect, then his eye wandered back to the grave. "You've done a great thing, Jantus. I'm honored to have been a part of it."

[/html]
[html]
If it's okay, I'll have Jantus ignore the extended hand? I'm not sure about Jefferson, but Jantus & co. shifted down before they came into Phoenix Valley, so he doesn't have a hand to shake ^^; Thanks for doing this with me! I feel like you can stop it here, if you like, or make a final post before closing it?

Jantus could tell that something was troubling Jefferson. He had become a fair hand at reading people during his experience as alpha, but some concealed it better than others, and some other than that didn't need to: their expressions did not naturally give him anything he could read. He didn't know which type this alpha was, but either way he couldn't guess what was the matter. Something about the whole affair had either touched him, or reminded him of something. If it were about the deceased, Jantus would want to know, certainly. There was no way he could fathom that it was about the scarred wolf's own past and the things he had done along the way.

He smiled at the name he'd been given, and nodded respectfully in turn. He doubted he'd be coming back himself, which was a sad thing, as the two of them had hit it off. The children might, though. In fact, some of them might yet decide to remain and live in this place. He doubted that the gravestone would bring them much closer to their father, but it would improve their chances of hearing of him. Not that most had anything good to say, by what Skoll had told him...still, time would tell. Kids often enough got the itch to travel and settle abroad, and in this case there was only one parent to be crestfallen by the fact. It might be that they wanted to stay here and live in the place their parents had called home, though Inferni would likely never take Asphyxia back if they learned of her brood with Skoll. It might also be that they would decide in time to officially join Snow-capped Pine, which to him was the best option. The Souls territory was an important place; it was where Skoll had chosen to find his peace after his life of war, and it was because he had lingered here that he'd been present to answer the threat which had faced them all two years ago. Jantus planned to explore it and get his fill of it while he was here. Nevertheless, he still felt that the Pine and other places more alike to it were the real home for stories and lives like Skoll's, and the best place to live up to that lineage. It slipped his mind sometimes that both Asphyxia and Skoll had wanted their children to avoid the bloodshed that each of them had seen in their time.

"We're honored in turn to have you with us. Tough old birds like you are well-respected in the culture of the Pine, and as the one who rules over the land where our friend is buried, well, that earns you more regard still. It's a hike down to the Pine, but we'd be glad to have you whenever you should decide to turn up." Jantus looked at all the others, who had at this point gone past them, away from the grave. By now, Aivyr had left. He lived closer to this place than anyone else, and the giant wasn't sure that this would be the last time the white wolf visited Phoenix Valley. Skirnir, though, the brother...he remained, looking at the stone. The old wolf couldn't read...Skoll had never learned more than a handful of words himself, and his brother had never come down out of the cold reaches of the high north. It occurred to the Pine wolf that maybe he was etching the characters into his memory, so that he could write them down somewhere near his home, and create a memorial there. They hadn't known each other long; guilt as much as love was the cause of this focus, he thought. The alpha of StoneTree murmured something too quietly for the other two alphas to make anything out, before turning and passing them by. Jantus turned his eye back to Jefferson and gave a deep bow of his head.

"I think that we are ready to leave now, Jefferson. Lead us as you will."

[/html]