wonderland.
[html]
All welcome; two people max please.

It was strange, how Phoenix Valley and AniWaya had made friends and, at least in the Patriarch's eyes, allied each other while the one-eyed leader knew little to nothing about the clan to the west. It wasn't like AniWaya was a morning stroll away; actually, they and his pack were about as far as they could get to one another. While this was somewhat advantageous, it had its benefits: with the other packs and clans relatively squished in the areas between them, both packs could monitor what they surrounded and, if it was ever necessary, form an attack or something accordingly. Unfortunately, the only clan that didn't fall between them was Inferni, which was the one group of demons that needed the most attention.

Jefferson had seen Ember not long ago, although when they first met she had been of a different pack and rank altogether. Now, however, she'd somehow progressed to the top of AniWaya in what seemed days; Dawali, on the other hand, was still leading the clan faithfully as the cyclops had expected. He was fond of them both; their culture, though he was uneducated on most of it, intrigued the one-eyed monster and the kindness and genuine personalities of its members and leaders persuaded the beast to develop some sort of bond.

The cyclops, knowing his place, stopped at where he perceived the borders to be; a yawn and a stretch of his back were his greeting to the land. Instead of howling, he simply sat down on the ground, repositioned the sling for his arm and hissed at the sting, and simply waited. Dawali or Ember would surely appear eventually.

[/html]
[html]

Sace/Hemming will be coming too! Next post is hers :3

She laughed as she dodged yet another of Hemming's snowballs, the sounds of their game traveling across the frozen mass that Aniwaya now was. Her snowshoes had been such a great and lucky find; Ember had chanced upon them on her last trip to Halifax and had brought them home with her on a whim. It wasn't until after the first snow that she had realized what they were for, after seeing a picture in a book of a human using them. She was a bit heavy for them and had made a few adjustments to their size, adding on to accommodate her.

The dark, cloaked wolf darted from tree to tree as her friend followed behind, avoiding most of his hits. They were heading for the borders, and she wondered how much longer he could run after her. She had trained each and every morning, morning after morning after morning of running and such...and she had the snowshoes! Would he follow her out?

Just as she was reaching the fence and going through a snowball got her square in the back of the head, and she fell forward. The fall knocked the wind out of her and she gasped for breath, trying to sit up. She hadn't been paying attention to anything besides Hemming, and hadn't noticed the strange scent on the breeze until now. It was really close, this smell! She tried to catch her breath as she walked a few steps farther, trying to see over the next hill.

[/html]
[html]
Smile!

Hemming had managed to run fairly gracefully through the snow for a while, his long legs making it slightly easier than another might find it, but it was exhausting work. As Ember made her way away from him he admired the way the snowshoes kept her from sinking down and made plans to attempt to make a pair of his own. If that didn't work, he could look around the city for a pair pre-made by the humans. In the meantime, he stood almost hip-deep in a snowdrift he had been unfortunate enough to find himself in, and rolled snowballs out of the stuff that trapped him. He was a poor shot, but that didn't stop him from sending many snowballs towards the dark female as she escaped. Eventually, the sheer number that he had thrown would make it inevitable that he should hit her, but despite the growing odds he was immensely surprised when one of his projectiles made contact with Ember's head. He paused in his snowball throwing for a moment, eyes wide in a rather pleased sort of surprise. As she fell, he struggled to escape the snowbank and hobbled towards her. "Uh, sorry!" he exclaimed, but she was up and walking away before he had even shortened the distance between them by a quarter.

He hustled to catch up to her, leaping above the snow rather like an elephant attempting to pirouette. He reached her side just as they climbed the crest of the hill, and spotted the other almost immediately. It had caught the male off guard; had they really reached the borders so quickly? Then again, the wolf felt as if he had been wandering for days, the effort of lifting his feet out of the snow during the snowball fight much more than he had expected.

This other wolf was unfamiliar to Hemming, but it was clear that he was from Phoenix Valley. The last time that the Gatlvska had been to the borders was when the puppies had been dropped off by an old coyote - it had been a strange time. Smiling a little and raising a hand to the air in a tired wave, Hemming called across the bit of snow that separated them, "Hello!"

[/html]
[html]
Yay! Big Grin

He'd made no sound to announce his arrival, but the appearance of AniWayans was momentary and fast. The sound of excitement reached his ears before their figures met the gaze of his eyes; giggles and chuckles, echoing over the bounds of snow and ice that coated the territory. His tattered ears focused briefly, listening to the chortles until he finally concluded that he could not put a face to giggles alone, at which point the one-armed cyclops bent down and retrieved a small twig from the ground and placed it between his teeth. As he always did when he was idle, Jefferson chewed thoughtfully at the twig's end and waited, noticing only that the playful banter was growing closer.

It came as a surprise to him to see Ember nearly fly into view; in watching her he remembered their brief game of tag, or something similar, when the two had first met on his territory. He smiled, knowing the girl to be a playful but kindly type; despite this, however, the subleader rank she had recently announced to him made sense and he had little doubt that she served Dawali and AniWaya well. Jefferson quickly noticed the foreign contraptions attached to her feet; his brows furrowed some, clearly unsure as to their purpose but unimpressed by their appearance. A second male came into view before Ember had the chance to notice him; he was surprised when the stranger waved and greeted him openly and without hesitation. AniWaya and Phoenix Valley were allied, after all; perhaps that knowledge granted the foreign leader some leeway around their clan.

He slightly raised his good arm and twitched his fingers some in a rather effortless attempt at a responding wave before calling jovially over the snow. "What the hell is on your feet?"

[/html]
[html]
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ ... _horse.gif); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Big Grin <3

"JEFFERSONNNNN!" She called, acknowledging that she saw the one-eyed wolf as well. Ember looked walked toward him alongside Hemming as she brushed some snow out of her long, beaded hair. She hadn't seen him for a month or so, but now she felt foolish for not having recognized his scent when she had first smelled it. She smiled brightly when he asked her about her feet, lifting one up to show it off.

"Snow-shoes. Found them in the city! It makes getting around on the snow a whole lot easier. I think I'll hand them over to Hemming for the way back..." She grinned and looked to the Aniwayan, "You chased me all the way out here through this stuff!" Unsure if the two had met each other, she continued. "Hemming, this is Jefferson from Phoenix Valley. And Jefferson, this is Hemming, A good friend of mine."

table by mel

[/html]
[html]

Hemming laughed quietly at the other male's question, finding it especially amusing since he had wondered the same thing. The little game that he had played with Ember had put him in high spirits, the perfect covering of snow and the pleasure it brought stretching his smile wider and putting some extra momentum in the swing of his tail. He grinned at his friend, panting, as she explained what the snowshoes were, and laughed when she suggested that he take them on the way back. He could certainly use a pair, being regrettably inefficient at travelling through the deep snow despite his Scandinavian heritage.

Nodding at Jefferson as they were introduced, Hemming commented, "Nice to meet you, Jefferson." The wide smile on his face, perhaps an inmutable part of Hemming, remained. Meeting others was almost always a pleasure, and he had faith in Ember's choice of friends; this one was probably a wolf worth knowing.

[/html]
[html]
You guys have such pretty tables ... but then again, so do I! Big Grin

Perhaps he was just unused to leaders being so amiable with their members, but the relationship between the two facing him -- Ember and this stranger, Hemming -- struck him as almost odd. He smiled, however, delighted to see that she was fine and well even though the time lapse since their last meeting was so short that it hardly worth worrying about. He could not accuse her of anything, of course; perhaps this was the way packs were supposed to be. AniWaya was thriving just as Phoenix Valley was, and within his smile was the pride he had that their two packs were allied and he could safely call these happy people 'friends.'

His green eye gazed down at the snowshoes questionably as she spoke. They made only slight sense to him; obviously their odd design would be overlooked should they actually suit a purpose, but the damn things were so funny looking that he could hardly put it past them. "Snow shoes... right." The cyclops scratched his head, somewhat overwhelmed by the odd concept. "Well, you won't catch me wearing a pair of those monstrosities, snow or not."

That said, he was properly introduced to the stranger and smiled accordingly; Hemming seemed friendly enough. "Likewise. A friend of Ember's is a friend of mine." Jefferson took a step back and looked over the land briefly before shooting them both a look of slight sarcasm, "So this is what AniWayans do in their free time? Frolic in the snow?"

[/html]
[html]
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ ... _horse.gif); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Indeed! I love your table, Lin ^^

The first time she'd met Hemming she hadn't been sure what to make of him, but now that she knew him better she was more able to understand him and his ways. He wasn't from around here and was interested in many things that she hadn't even heard about until she'd met him. Like knitting! And they'd both discovered candy together. Jefferson commented on her snow shoes and she used one to scoop up a bit of snow, kicking it lightly in his direction. "I could just ride my horse. But even he doesn't want to come out with this much snow on the ground. They're really fun, despite how they look"

She brushed some more snow off of herself from their snowball fight as she spoke. "Yep, that's pretty much it...frolic in the snow, braid each others' hair, play with animals...you got me! But no. Just having some fun! I guess you wouldn't recognize it" She smiled jokingly, sticking her tongue out at him for a moment. "Things in the Valley going good? Need help with anything? Or did you just come by to visit" She asked.

table by mel

[/html]
[html]
Big Grin

What others did in their respective packs was never something that Hemming had wondered about. It was only once the one-eyed wolf questioned the behaviour of the AniWayans that Hemming realized that this type of life might not be so typical. The AniWayans were, perhaps, a little more eccentric in their activites than other packs might be, and the Gatlvska wondered what he might be doing at the moment if it wasn't AniWaya he had stumbled on. Apparently it wasn't likely to be frolicking, which was a sad thought. Every wolf should know the joy of leaping through the snow like some strange breed of bird.

Hemming had recently made a horse friend of his own, but the creature wasn't old enough to ride yet, and frankly, the male would be nervous to do so. The stallion was a rather hoppy, kicky kind of beast, and until he calmed down Hemming would remain rather nervous in his presence. For now, snowshoes would do, and he would take Ember up on her offer even if she didn't mean it.

The female's description of life in AniWaya was somewhat accurate, even if she meant it as a joke. The gray male did spend a large amount of his time frolicking in some way or another, and he knew that she spent a lot of her time tending to the horses. He continued to smile, and as the two friends talked he brushed the snow from his fur, and for a moment lifted a foot to pull with considerable force a ball of ice from the fur in between his toes.

[/html]
[html]

What did they do for fun back in the Valley? Most of his members were well acquainted with each other; there were a few playful types that stuck together, but what they did exactly for fun was beyond him. It was... "unfortunate" that Jefferson could not frolic and giggle along with his members, but at the same time, none of his underlings was exactly expecting such a thing out of them. Jefferson was content knowing that his members felt safe under his leadership. Leg or no leg, Jefferson was dedicated to ensuring the Valley borders. If he was nothing else, he was definitely vigilant.

The cyclops smirked at Ember's sarcasm; she was one of few, all in all, that he didn't mind the energy of. Other characters he'd met were simply exhausting in their enthusiasm, but Jefferson found that he did not have to tolerate Ember, so-to-say, so much that he simply enjoyed her company altogether. In a way, he appreciated the optimistic outlook she had, and believed her members were lucky to have a leader as such. "That's right, we're all a bunch of sticks in the mud back home," he snorted, green eye rolling though he was clearly amused.

He shrugged his shoulders some, smile widening. "I figured you bunch had visited us enough, it was about time I came to see AniWaya for myself. I don't know a hell of a lot about what you guys focus on, but I've heard some interesting things about spirits and shit." He grinned, a level of curiosity evident in his eye.

[/html]
[html]
wc: 317

When she had first joined the Aniwaya tribe Ember hadn't been sure what it was about whatsoever. All that she had known at that time was that she needed somewhere to stay and that if Tayui had said that this place was okay then that was good enough for her. Ember had stuck close to her friend's side, wanting to stay with the white wolf if she could. That felt like a lifetime ago, that she had joined up. She had been a very different wolf back then, almost opposite of the hard-working warrior and sub-leader that she was now. She glanced toward Hemming when Jefferson mentioned spirits, nodding her head. Yes, they did have spirit-guides here. It seemed so normal to her now that she wasn't sure how to begin explaining it at first. Maybe Hemming could explain it better.

"Well, first of all...come inside. A friend of mine is always welcomed on these lands." She said, gesturing toward the snowy hills beyond. Ember then put a hand up onto Hemming's shoulder so that she could work at the straps on her snowshoes, offering them to her packmate once she got them off. She had been the one to go all the way out here using them...she could go without them for the trip back.

The Danua Ihesdi then started to walk, motioning for the others to follow. After the rest that they'd had her legs and feet were now ready to go again. She felt comfortable with the idea of taking Jefferson wherever he would want to go, that she would have enough energy to do that. "We can show you whatever you'd like to see...we have a small village that some wolves are fixing up, some barns, and the corral with the horses. Hemming, do you want to tell him more about our spirit guides?" She didn't want to monopolize the conversation, after all.

table by mel

[/html]
[html]
278 words

Grinning as he took the snow shoes, Hemming bent down to tie them to his feet. They were a little small, and his toes poked against the rim, but after just a few steps walking in them he could see that they made the deep snow much more manageable. His legs, tired from the walk out, were at least getting a bit of rest. Smiling, the male nodded in thanks, and walked alongside his two companions. As they moved towards the village he thought of the town hall he had helped Dawali construct, of the warmth of the ceremonial fire and of the beauty of the horses.

It had been a while since Hemming had last explained what the spirit guides were. He still didn't really understand them at all, and his own, Dagrun, was remarkably stubborn and told him few stories despite his coaxing. Anyway, as he had done previously, he would cough up a half-baked explanation that was vague enough to be correct in some sort of way while not necessarily saying anything outright wrong. In fact, Hemming didn't even know what could be wrong with his description, as he wasn't sure what was possible with them. It was all a very airy concept to him, and so he felt a little unqualified when Ember asked him to explain. "Erh, well," he started, "They're a physical manifestation of spirits of other creatures, each one taking a different form depending on the wolf it accompanies. And, I suppose, because of its age it is wise, and can provide advice and guidance." That about covered Hemming's understanding - anything else seemed much too mystical and odd to him.

[/html]
[html]

Spirit guides. Jefferson supposed that was something closer to what he'd heard about, though the concept was still obviously foreign to the cyclops. In reality, Jefferson hardly believed in anything supernatural -- spirits, ghosts, rebirths, karma -- though he was known for blaming things on them or being otherwise sarcastic when it came to their subject. The Patriarch had been surprised when the funeral procession for Skoll had humbled the leader into a still silence, though the cyclops had never even met the dead man. Something about respecting the dead calmed even the most terrible of monsters such as he, and the poor brute couldn't even explain it. Thus, when the subject of spirits and guides came about, he chose to keep his trap shut. As absurd a subject as it seemed, he respected Ember wholeheartedly, and as a friend chose not to reveal the sarcastic musings he'd gathered as they walked and Hemming spoke.

"So, let's say I got one, then," Jefferson smirked, though his voice lacked its typical sarcasm and bitterness. For now, he was simply just curious of their thoughts. "What would I get? A squirrel? Deer? Heaven forbid, a mother bear." His arm, in its sling across his chest, throbbed just briefly. Like I haven't dealt with enough bears already. The brute shook his head, however, and turned his eye back to Hemming. "Advice and guidance sounds like something for kids by their parents. Where are these 'spirits' coming from?"

[/html]
[html]

-fails- don't keeel meee <3

They began to walk back into Aniwaya and the female walked alongside the other two. She did not take the lead, wanting to stick back and talk to them without having to shout over her shoulder or something. She'd had Utriu with her for what felt like forever, even if it had only been for a year or so now. The whale was more than her best friend; she spoke to him about anything and everything. She didn't know what it was that had drawn the orca to her; at first she had thought that he was just another animal, not a spirit guide. But after her journey she had realized that he wasn't alive and that he was there to guide her through the hard parts of life...and celebrate the happy parts.

"Hmmm. I'm not sure what causes a certain animal to be drawn to a certain wolf. It could be a part of their personality, or maybe some connection that they've had with that type of animal in the past. I'd never seen a whale before Utriu introduced himself to me, though. My spirit guide is an orca whale." An orca whale who was choosing to be very invisible at this time. "If you'd like to meet him I could ask that he make his presence known. The spirit guides don't really come from a once-living animal...they are spirits who have chosen to stick around in this world instead of moving on"

table by Jenny
[/html]
[html]
Sorry guys D:

Hemming smiled softly as he pondered what Jefferson's spirit guide might be. One of the things that most astounded the Gatlvska was the ability of the spirit guides to take the shape of animals that none of the AniWayan wolves had likely ever seen. He recalled the strange African snake that had been Catherine's companion with, admittedly, a bit of apprehension. It did seem like most of the spirit guides were animals that were native to Nova Scotia, and it seemed like most of them were birds, as well. Dagrun was a rather plain and unassuming creature, resembling the sparrows that lighted in the barren trees. She didn't give him much advice or guidance, it seemed, but she was adept at scoffing at whatever silly action he might carry out and carrying on chirpy conversations about the clouds or something else equally insignifcant.

Hemming wasn't capable of forming a hypothesis for why a particular spirit would pick a given wolf, or why a spirit would take a certain form. Ember's correction made him even more confused, and he turned his head towards her. "Where do the spirits come from, then?" This was all rather undecipherable to the wolf, who found pleasure mainly in the real, empirical things in life. He hadn't understood the spirit guides before he had one, and now that he did he still failed to comprehend what they were, where they came from, or why they existed. It was all very strange.

[/html]
[html]
I'm sorry too! We can probably close this soon anyway.

Hemming posed a decent question, one that had been habiting Jefferson's mind for quite some time. If this clan thought this way of life to be so real, where was it that their ghosts came from? Ember even spoke of making a whale noticeable, which in all honestly the cyclops was taken aback by completely. Spirit guides was already a silly concept to him, but he'd thought these animals would be paired with wolves that at least vaguely seemed to match. He might've thought Ember would say a rabbit, perhaps a bird or an elk. A whale, however, was not at all something he was expecting to "make itself known."

Hemming, however, had said nothing of his own little spirit creature, and Jefferson chose not to question it. He did, however, match Hemming's questioning gaze and looked at Ember, equally as curious to find their interpretation of how animal ghosts came about. War heroes? Did they die tragic, animal deaths? Had they not moved on to the afterlife? Damn, he was an asshole. He strained to keep an innocent face. Clearly, he would never fit in here -- but he didn't mind their culture. It sure as hell made them more interesting than Phoenix Valley, he supposed.

[/html]