Of cabbages and kings
[html]

It felt like it had been a really long time since the wolf had been able to go out anywhere without one or more of her four children following behind. She didn't mind it most days, the tag-alongs, and wanted to teach them as much as she could. But nothing could beat some alone time after hanging around the den day after day after day. Sometimes Ehno, the pups' father, would come by from Crimson Dreams...but she liked to try and make the most of his visits and stuck around the den then as well.

The pure-white female had left her litter in the capable hands of her best and most trusted friend Geneva today. Her feet crunched through the crust of ice that had covered much of Phoenix Valley as she walked, her weight far too much for the surface of the snow to take. She wasn't sure where she would be able to find a good meal, but had been told that there was a herd of caribou moving through the northern parts of the territory down toward the South. They would be avoiding the city, with its lack of grass and nutrients, so that would hopefully make them easier to find. She started North, stomach gurgling its hungry reminder as she went.

[/html]
[html]

The morning air was crisp and cool, the snow beneath her feet crunching as she jogged. Her breath unfurled in short puffs before her muzzle. Andy slowed to a walk, her breathing labored from her run. She paused, her ears alert and nose alert, as movement in front of her caught her attention.

"Hey!" she called, hoping the white figure could hear her. She walked over, careful to make her feet crunch loudly in the snow so as not to alarm the other female. Andy felt her breathing slow as she walked, feeling her energy return after her jog. Her belly growled, hunger clawing her insides. She didn't remember the last time she had gone for a hunt; usually she just ate something small; it had been ages since she had had a real kill.

Andy stopped a short distance away from her companion, stretching her arms above her head. Her nose twitched as the scent of caribou came to her, making her mouth water at the thought of the sweet, tangy meat.

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... yu/ice.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top;">

ooc: I'm totally hungry writing this...

She was plagued by hunger. The meal from weeks prior had only satisfied her belly for this short period. A few bites of smaller prey here and there had kept the intense hunger at bay, but with the falling winter, even the smaller prey was in hiding making it difficult for a beast to find a meal. Times were becoming lean and desperate…starvation was on the rise, or so…she exaggerated. It was the need to food talking, not common sense and the poor dear found herself more often than not laughing at her ludicrous statements. She needed to feast.

Winter suited paws shifted through the snow drawing her deeper into the field, lead by the delicious aroma of meat ripe for the slaughter and faint traces of the Valley. Perhaps clansmen she had yet to meet? With the expanse of territory, it wouldn’t have surprised her. She had yet to touch each border of the lands, let alone speak with all that inhabited the clan. Perhaps as in the past, this would be another bonding experience through a hunt. She certainly hoped so.

A call in the near distance perked her ears to attention and drew celestial eyes to widen in intrigue. Hastily she parted the field leaving a dust of snow in her wake as she advanced to the lupine figures in the distance. Their scent invaded her nostrils, dubbing them female as she came closer to realize she hadn’t the slightest idea who they were. But they were of the clan…that was enough for her. Zyn reduced her strides, panting lightly as she came alongside the smaller tawny female, tail swaying with unhindered mirth. “Good day ladies,” she russet female greeted them coupled with a dip of her head to each of them. The growl of an empty belly filled the vacant air between them and a chorus of snarls and whines followed. The embarrassed female glared at her crème underside as if the stare would silence that demon’s complaining. It growled again in defiance. She forwent her attempt to command it silent and instead looked to her companions. “Fine day…isn’t it?”

Words: 354

I'm thinking about something... Be quiet when I talk. I'm just wandering
[/html]
[html]
Hungry for deer jerky....lol Big Grin

When she first saw the other female she was confused for a moment, her fur bristling. The other Valley member looked a lot like her old mate, Anu--she had the same sort of coat and the same beautiful blue eyes. Naniko was taken aback for a moment until she got a good nosefull of Andrea's scent. She smelled very different than Anu, the smells of Phoenix Valley rather than the smells of Crimson Dreams and the wolves there. After her first reaction the wary white wolf's fur dropped down and her tail gave a few encouraging wags. "Hello there. I don't think we've met."

Just as she was about to introduce herself, though, another wolf arrived. After not coming across anyone in the last week or two, this was a pleasant surprise! Two wolves that she hadn't met yet. Naniko had wanted to go out and meet everyone the first week or so that she had been in the pack, but he arrival of her litter had put a halt on her plans. Her own stomach growled as Zynex approached as well, and she cleared her throat to try and cover the sound. "It really is. I'm Naniko D'angelo--I haven't seen you two around before." Zynex also had an interesting, eye-catching coat. She admired it for a moment before speaking again. "I haven't run into anyone for a while--I was starting to wonder where the rest of the pack was!"

[/html]
[html]

WC: 319

Andy laughed. “It’s true, lately things have been rather quiet.” She felt her belly crawl with hunger again. “Do you ladies fancy a hunt with me? I don’t know about you but I am a bit hungry.” she admitted. As if to confirm her statement, her stomach gave a loud protest, gurgling deeply. She laughed, embarrassed.

She turned her head, lifting her muzzle into the air. Immediately, the scent of the nearby caribou wafted into her nostrils, making her mouth water. Her ears perked forward, straining to hear anything amiss in this part of the forest. Hearing none, she clapped her hands enthusiastically in front of her.

She transformed to her lupe form quickly before trotting off in the direction of the caribou, her nose once again in the air. She trusted that her companions would come with her. She was careful to keep her steps light and silent as she loped through the forest, slowing when the caribou scent got stronger. Turning her head, she noticed that the other females were still back in the clearing. She sat on her haunches and watched them, waiting patiently for them to catch up with her.

The sandy female kept an eye on the herd of caribou, making sure they didn’t get too far away. But they stayed put, obliviously grazing away, unknowing of the danger that was close upon them.

An uncomfortably twinge behind her ear caused her to raise her hind leg and scratch at it; the act was almost unnoticed by the female, her thoughts were so busy with other things that she barely noticed herself scratching her ear. Shaking out of her thoughts, she turned her gaze on the herd once again, trying to pick out a sick or injured individual. But she wasn’t close enough to accurately single one out. That would just have to wait until the trio of females descended on the herd.

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... yu/ice.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top;">

ooc: I'm totally hungry writing this...

An interesting chorus, their stomachs made as the appendages protested their hunger and need to feed. Zynex could only smile that the meager modesty each female exhibited for their hungry state while she had fallen into the same act of trying to dispel the obnoxious growl of her belly. But it was growing apparent there was no need for this modesty, not at least. Subjected to the most primal of needs, there was no need to hide it. But still the banter was carried on with a delicate smile and friendly wave of the tail. Rank did not seem to matter in this moment, but should either of her audience choose to make it a matter, she would adjust herself accordingly. She looked upon the towering stature of the sandy female without prejudice in her eyes, for it would seem futile given the dame’s latest and most exhilarating discovery. Her only gesture, was to cock her ears forward attentively, and smile.

“I apologize for not introducing myself. I am Zynex. Tis a pleasure Naniko…and…?” Her gaze lingered on the tawny female, still in need of a title of which to call her. But again the serenade of grumbling bellies silenced her attempts to further receive coherent conversation. The winds carried upon them the delectable scent of prey at large and abundant. Excitement for meat did not overrule her reason and sense in the matters of hunt, and though there was no elected leader for this soirée, it was obvious the more hungry was to lead.

The russet followed in silence, form aligning itself with the ground in streamline fashion to cut effortlessly through the field. Predator’s grace became her steps, short and light, hasty but well placed given the delicate and acute nature of the prey they sought. Celestial lamps darted sharply from their height in the field, keeping watch for the stray meat as it either came forth or retreated from the herd. A weaker quarry had yet to be placed, their proximity was too far to make a distinction. Zynex pulled back from her assault letting her steps linger from the leader for a moment as she laid in wait for Naniko to come. Some silent plan needed to be concocted, even if it was on a whim and brief. The state of their stomachs depended on the success of this hunt.

Words: 394

[/html]
[html]
wc: 229

She had been the leader of the last pack she'd been in, the Commander, and now she had to get used to not being the top dog. Naniko had been in a little world all her own for the last few months, staying in her cabin for long hours with her pups, Geneva, and sometimes Ehno. Now that she was meeting other members of the pack she was reminded that she wasn't the highest ranked, that she had done nothing yet to earn these wolves' respect. She would have to work on it...the white wolf wanted to be seen as someone who was good and who could be trusted. If she would have gone back to Crimson Dreams she would not have been thought of as any of those things.

Mistakes were made, and the Locum was moving on. Deep green eyes followed the movements of Andrea as she headed off, deciding to start the hunt, and she glanced toward Zynex before following. What roles would they play in the hunt? And what were they even looking for? She knew where some caribou were, but did Andrea want her to tell her that? She came up beside Andrea so that she might speak with her, alto voice coming out in a low, soft tone. "There are some caribou up north of here...if we keep going we might find 'em"

[/html]
[html]

WC: 357

Andy’s ears perked as Naniko commented about the location of some caribou. Sure enough, when she raised her nose into the wind, the scent of the beasts drifted into her nostrils. She nodded. ”Right. Do you want to lead the way?” she asked, smiling. She wagged her tail, the excitement of the hunt coursing through her lithe body, making her paws tingle. She ached to run; it thrilled her to have the wind rush through her fur and over her ears. Running had always been her passion. She did it every day.

Ever since she was young, she had tried to stay in good shape. She loved running, and had been doing it since she was young. She had always been faster than her brother, and when they were children, Andy liked to tease him for it. The young female smiled at the find memories of her brother, then stopped herself. Fond memories often turned into sour ones, especially where her brother was concerned. She missed him dearly.

She shook herself out of her reverie, her stomach growling uncomfortably. The tantalizing scents of the caribou were driving her insane, and the prospect of the imminent kill was sending excited shock waves trough her system. She was exhilarated. Unable to contain it any longer, she stood up and danced to the side, knowing she looked rather like a puppy, but not caring in the least. Hunts always got her feeling this way.

A sharp sound overhead caused her to pause and look up. A Large bird was perched in a tree, and it was staring down at her intensely. She cocked her head curiously at the creature. It continued its stare off, its gaze never blinking. It appeared to be a falcon; the mottled brown and white feathers giving it away. As suddenly as it had started, the encounter was over. The bird spread its wings and took off, soaring over the trees and out of sight.

Lowering her eyes, Andy shook her head again. Time to get focused on the task at hand. She looked to her companions, wondering if they were as hungry as she was.

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Organization was in silence, for with the acute sense of the caribou, unnecessary noise was sure to be rewarded with the failure of the hunt. And with the growl of empty stomachs, not much longer would they be able to maintain their cover. The very scent of the quarry driving their stomachs to sing the praises of the meal to come.

There was little time to waste.

Predatory instinct drove the russet deeper into the overgrowth, body poised closer to the ground as she edged closer to the gathering scent from the left flank of the herd. It would not serve them to attack head on, not with the multitude of large antlered beast guarding their precious young. From a distance to them, she halted hastily drawing back toward the two females and taking to Naniko’s side. Her voice lowered to a hushed tone, still her stature remained aligned with the ground. “Perhaps we should divert their attention?” She offered, having a sense of the stupidity of massed beasts. “If one were to weave through the herd, they would be temporarily frightened, just a moment to send them into a panic.” With a toss of her muzzle, she gestured to the lining trees then again toward the opened field from whence they came. “They would run for the trees…but we can herd them from them. All one would need to do is frighten them and wait for their guard of the little ones to drop. We would only need one for the three of us! They break for the trees…we herd them into the fields, snatch a young one and the prize is ours.”

Zyn was delighted by this plan even if it was a hastily concocted one. A similar technique had been used on a prior hunt and had been quite successful, so there was no reason for her to feel it would fail this time. All they needed at this time was precision and determination…

Words: 327

[/html]
[html]
wc: 250

There were about a million things that Naniko could say that she loved about hunting. The feeling of the wind as it rushed past her ears, the thrill that she got when chasing after an animal (especially alongside a few packmates!), her sudden ability to walk quietly and softly when in the presence of a creature that she was considering ambushing. She had gotten better at hunting over the years, and now considered herself to be pretty good at it. She couldn’t remember a time when she hadn’t known how to hunt. She had always managed to get by somehow, even when she had been helping to raise her little brother Davinci. Laruku had helped her out, and Conri too, though.

When Andy asked who wanted to lead the way she shrugged. It wasn’t a big deal to her who did what during the hunt as long as they ended up getting the food in the end. She did have a good idea about where the herd was at, though, so maybe it was a good idea. Naniko nodded, then, starting to run even more swiftly toward the herd ahead. She listened to Zynex as they padded through the snow, concentrating and envisioning the plan in her mind’s eye. "I think it would really confuse them—that sounds like an awesome plan!" They were quickly approaching the herd. "Who wants to run through them?" She asked as she slowed, coming to a halt with the beasts just coming into sight.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 418

Andy nodded; this plan sounded fool proof. “I will!” She rolled her shoulders once, loosening them, before bolting out, away from her companions, and heading right for the herd of caribou. At first, the grazing beasts were oblivious to her silent approach. But suddenly, they were off, panicked and confused. Andy felt overjoyed by the feel of the chase.

The tawny female snapped at the ankles of some of the beasts, delighting in the hasty leap they would make to avoid her gnashing teeth. They would land clumsily, stumbling slightly before running at full speed again.

Just as planned, the bewildered animals ran straight for the cover of the trees. Andy swerved in and out between several of the caribou, leaping up to their eye level and snapping her teeth. The more frightened they were, the better. Easier for the wolves to take one down if they were blinded by fear.

The Tenens hoped her companions were ready, because the distraught herd was nearing the trees, and fast. The sound of their pounding hooves was thunderous in Andy’s ears, and it was all she could do to stay among the mass of heaving brown bodies. She looked around, hoping to locate one of the young caribou. But it was too difficult to navigate amongst the herd and look for a target at the same time.

With a burst of speed, she ran to the head of the pack, hoping to slow them down a little to allow Naniko and Zynex to catch up and select one of the caribou. The herd was startled to see the source of their panic suddenly in front of them; many skidded to a stop and turned, while others, who were running too fast, simply chose to jump over the predator. But it had worked; the herd had been scattered, if only a little.

Andy looked ahead just in time to see a large male caribou running right for her, its eyes wild with fear. He jumped over her at the last minute, his take off too late; one of his back hooves collided with the side of Andy’s head. He fell to the side, stumbled, and took off. Andy shook her head, trying to rid her vision of the blurry shapes the blow had caused. Luckily, it hadn’t been a devastating hit. But it had been hard enough to knock her silly momentarily. She got up and peered through the trees and caribou running amuck, trying to locate her companions.

[/html]