looking for a shadow of a doubt
ooc; someone who knows Zana, or was arround when Zana was here

She knew she should not be there but she had been wondering if the two hqad returned from Eire yet. She wouldn't admit it but she'd liked the fierce lttle creature that DaVinci had called their sister. She knew that if either had returned that she'd be able to find out from the clan for Zana would have surely returned toher home. The small girl had said that she was returning as soon as their business was complete overseas and Firefly had little doubt of that, though she knew that the mystical world of their old clan could become overwhelming and one could find themselves lost in the magic for a long time she didn't believe that Zana would fall prey to the old ways.

The Sadira woman sat near the border, waiting to see if one of the 'hated' clan would appear. She had been part of the Dahlian War but she felt little illwill towards the clan itself now, just a few choice members, and that was personal. She stiffled a yawn as she fluffed her thick silvery coat against the cold, wondering how long she'd have to wait for an answer. Her eyes trailed to the skulls of wolves that decorated the border and she wondered if the clan would take offense if Cour des Miracles would voice their opinions of their enemies likewise. They probably would.
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">Derpderp. Forward dated muchly as agreed. Big Grin
@&#&$Unprecedented numbers of drifters were turning up on their border, something that seemed suspicious given the current political atmosphere. Anselm felt a strong sense of loyalty to Gabriel and Kaena both--perhaps more importantly, he took personal issue with Dahlia's psychotic Alpha. This war was theirs. Why a bunch of random coyotes wanted to lay down their lives for a clan they'd never been part of was completely beyond him. If he'd come across such a thing during his wandering days, he'd probably laugh, wish them luck, and high tail it on out before he got mixed up in the chaos. Still, necessity dictated he accept the unlikely influx--they needed whatever support they could get.
@&#&$Just when he thought he was prepared for anything life liked to throw a wrench into the machine. The arrival of his granddaughter earlier in the day was unexpected to say the least, but of all the faces he didn't expect to see, Firefly's ranked up there, too. He frowned as he padded closer toward the woman, worried for her safety above all else. Still, he assumed she wouldn't come and wait by their border without good reason. "Not that I don't appreciate a familiar face, but you sure picked one hell of a time to visit," he called to her, tattooed ear flicking as he stole a quick glance around them before settling into a sit.
@&#&$If anyone came up he would deal with them--this poor girl had done more for them than against them, as she'd been the sole key to Talitha's safe return. It was funny that the last time she'd been here, they'd been in the throws of war and she was being held against her will. It was strange, then, that she chose to return now that the fire had been rekindled. "He's taken over," he said simply, knowing she would understand. "And the war is back on."

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +320
[/html]
Firefly had begun to grow bored with waiting at the border like a good little doggie when suddenly movement across the lands and a face she recognized caused her to sit up straighter, a smile upon her maw. ”Anselm, I didn’t think I’d find you on border patrol.”, though she wouldn’t admit that she had been hopeful that he would appear. She knew she shouldn’t appear so cheerful sitting among the skulls of her kind that bordered the lands but she couldn’t help the tiny wag of her tail as Anselm approach. What did bother her though were the words that he spoke. She flicked an ear back in confusion as she tried to figure out just what she’d been missing out on all cooped up in the pack’s lands.

She didn’t want to pry into the business of the clan so she pressed on, admitting the truth behind her visit. ”I was just hoping to find out if Zana had returned…” She doubted that DaVinci would return anytime soon or even appear at the same time as Zana so she’d left him out of the equation, knowing he was a sour note to the leader of the clan. The Cour des Miracles woman had been about to ramble on further when Anselm dropped the bomb. Her mouth snapped shut instantly as her eyes narrow. She didn’t believe that Anselm would be the type to tease or even play such a horrible excuse for a joke but she barely knew him and what she did know was mostly as a diluted yearling in the mists of war. There was no stopping the reaction to the news as a soft growl rose in her throat.

She was silent a moment as she stared past Anselm. The sound of the lands the only noise as she tried to work out just what she would do next. Her voice was flat when she finally spoke. ”Are you certain?” She had never loved Cercelee but she hadn’t hated the woman outright. The threat she left for her at the border of the pack’s lands was her infamous temper at its worse. She felt a chill slide down her spine as she felt that perhaps the best place for her at this moment was home. That little voice was replaced quickly by a blood boiling rage that flashed in her eyes as she remembered the chaos that Haku had sown in the lands and what her fate had been gifted with.
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
@&#&$Anselm understood many things. He knew why the clouds wept, the stars shown, and the plants grew; he knew how to use timbre and hardware to construct something greater than the mere sum of its components, and he knew how to destroy it all with fire. Some things in life, though, were too bizarre to comprehend. By all rights she could have hated him for capturing her, taking her against her will and inadvertently leaving her a sitting duck for Samael's demented games. Were he as cold as he used to be, he could have resented her for his own failure to keep her safe; she'd forced him to break a promise he'd made to himself. And yet here they were, on the cusp of no man's land and a battlefield, tails waving and unwitting confederates, brought together by their love for hating one vile man.
@&#&$"What can I say, it's what I do," he remarked simply in good humour--his place in Inferni had always been as their scout. The name she spoke was only vaguely familiar, but when he shook his head it was with conviction. "I'm sorry. The number of joiners we've had lately has been surreal, but the only three I haven't met personally are all male," he informed her, having gathered so much from their scents alone. Supposing Firefly cared about this Zana at all, he reckoned it might be a good thing; he was still rather troubled his own granddaughter had reappeared during such volatile times.
@&#&$He was somewhat surprised by her reaction, though he merely countered her question with a solemn nod. "He's attacked our subleader. Gabriel and his brother went to address the issue, only to find he'd usurped Cercelee completely. I don't have any details beyond that, unfortunately." He'd hardly understood the dynamic between those two in the first place; it was a wonder the pale queen had kept Haku under control for as long as she did. It didn't really surprise him that it happened; he just wondered why now and exactly what had transpired. Regrettably, it was one of those questions he'd probably never have an answer to. He offered a hopeless shrug, figuring the Miracles woman might have more insight than he ever could. She'd walked among them, after all.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +382
[/html]
622 wd

Perhaps she was a bit twisted in her mind still, somehow along the way when she should have hated the beast she’d found herself attracted to the male. Her eyes sparkled at his appearance and she was happily relaxed at the border with him when she knew she should probably worry. The male had told her to deal of the judgment she deemed worthy for the monster that had assaulted her in her youth while in Anselm’s care. She had grown to respect him for harboring no want to keep her justice at bay. She wasn’t exactly certain why she liked him but she figured that she might as well, as twisted up as their family was with DaVinci and Ryan’s romance had become she believed that this wouldn’t be the last time she saw him.

His words made her smirk; his position in the clan was almost like her own. Once she had risen higher in the pack but she knew that sooner or later she would return to the higher ranks. She nodded in acceptance as she waited for an answer. When it was granted disappointment flooded her face as she gave a huff of annoyance. ”I had thought she at least would have returned by now..” She shook her head slightly and turned the conversation aside, ”No worries though..” she said, knowing that sooner or later she would find some word on what her siblings were up to. It made her wonder if Ryan had trailed after them but she didn’t press Anselm for his thoughts on that, instead the shocker of an interruption was what she was left with.

Like a child holding a firecracker she was left with a painful explosion at his words. She gritted her teeth as she was given the information on what Anselm knew. Her eyes darkened from their emerald tone to a forest green as she gave voice to her obvious fury at what had taken place. ”He should have been destroyed long ago.” The words sharp on her tongue, the male who was the father of her children, had once been her mate and partner in crime, now he was nothing more than a twisted monster in disguise. She let her eyes drift over to Anselm as she growled softly. ”Cercelee was always too soft with him. She fled to another pack and lived pampered while she let Haku reek havic on the lands…” Firefly hadn’t understood why the woman had done it nor why she’d turned away from her pack and had allowed the bastard to get even more of a taste for power than he needed.

She shook her head in disgust as she thought. ”I might be able to find out where Cercelee is if I can catch one of the older pack members.” She knew that they had been ordered to kill her if they found her on their lands but that didn’t mean she couldn’t stop them in the city or outside the sanctuary of their lands to gain knowledge of the old leaders whereabouts. She didn’t like the way this was turning but she glanced towards the skulls that lined the lands before offering slowly. ”If Gabriel brings the clan into battle I will come if you wish. I may be able to bring some of my pack…” her eyes grew sad as she looked back to Anselm. ”He had done much damage to some of our own.” She didn’t wish to go further into discussions, the thoughts of her prickly friend who had taken her own life after the chain of events in her short life. She still blamed Haku for it all, even if it wasn’t fair, it seemed right in her eyes.
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
@&#&$For as much he liked to keep on top of things, he was surprisingly in the dark where his daughter's relationship was concerned. During the summer Geneva had informed him of tensions spawned from the romance between their two subleaders, implying Ryan and the steel-coloured boy he'd never met. Like Geneva, he wasn't entirely positive why it had to be an issue at all--most likely, the root of the problem could be traced back to Kaena's troubles with the boy in the past. As the whole problem had more or less blown over he saw no reason to poke his nose in where--as far as he was concerned--it didn't belong. Now more than ever he had a right to keep on top of the political atmosphere between the two packs; beyond this, it was none of his business.

@&#&$Anselm certainly didn't think he had any right to tell his daughter what to do, and truthfully, as long as she wasn't involved with Hybrid, he didn't really care. He was sad that things could not work themselves out easily; the note she'd left upon her departure implied something to do with her boyfriend, after all. Still, he assumed everything would fall into place in the long run. In the meantime, he was completely ignorant to any ties between Firefly and her half-brother--other than cases where familial connections were overwhelmingly obvious (i.e. between Colibri Haki and Haku Soul), Anselm was slow to pick up on similar features supposing the canines were not de le Poers, Lykois, Holocausts, or maybe Marinos. He had to be familiar enough with the line to recognise it. As he was not very familiar with Zana in the first place, he could only guess as to why the Sadira girl was concerned with one of Inferni's old members at all.
@&#&$"I was always surprised she managed to control him at all; though I agree, I feel as if this whole thing could have been prevented. If some random jackass loner did half the things he's gotten away with, there'd be a vigilante party set up and he'd be sentenced to death. I've always found it maddening that a pack would harbour such a monster," he admitted, surprised by his own forwardness on the subject. These were usually thoughts he didn't bother to share with anybody. Her next offer, however, assured him that he was not making a mistake. "Obviously it's up to you as to whether or not you'd like to get involved," he said; Anselm would take what he could get, and he was sure if he spoke with Gabriel and Kaena they wouldn't be opposed to assistance, regardless of where it came from. "That said, I think information on Cercelee--even Cwmfen--would be extremely beneficial." Here he wouldn't know where to start... but it seemed as if Firefly might, and for that he was grateful.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +483
[/html]
Firefly knew that her words on Cercelee were a little to harsh. Cercelee hadn’t wanted war between the clan and pack but her own pack had voiced their need and want for the blood of the clan. Anselm knew just as well as Firefly did that she had been right in the mess of things. That could have been avoided but she had chosen to go along with her mother’s wishes and settle in Dahlia de Mai. She had utterly failed in trying to keep an eye on Haku, her quick rise in the pack’s ranks going to her head as she was always by the subleader’s side. If her jealousy hadn’t overcome her she probably would still be right beside him.

She brushed these thoughts away as she let her gaze wander down the border towards the skulls that lined them, the clan’s fair warning to what happened when enough was enough. Her voice was soft as she spoke, ”He has a way with words and a cloak of power that can sway most anyone..” She didn’t go further to admit that there were things he could do that could drive you to want to do anything he asked without a thought or care in the world, always begging for his touch and not caring how frayed your morals became. That she didn’t think Anselm would want to hear about.

The Sadira woman was silent a moment as she brooded over the past before sighing softly. ”I was suppose to keep things under control you know. I didn’t have much of a choice in joining Dahlia de Mai. My mother asked me to, she knew of Haku’s condition and she wanted me to keep an eye on him, whatever means necessary…” her eyes narrowed as she added with disgust. ”Gabriel had a chance to kill him once and she stood in the way. I still don’t understand why. She didn’t want the monster loose but she wouldn’t stand to see him slaughtered. It’s not like he was her son.” She shook her head impatiently before glancing back to Anselm as he told her that it was her choice and her’s alone.

She nodded before meeting his eyes as she said truthfully. ”I will find out what I can and find what help I can. I’m sure there’s more across the lands who have felt his cruelty far more often than his kindness.” She knew there was kindness in the man and that was what made her flinch as she spoke the words. She could remember when their pups were born and he asked her for a chance to make their family work. The little things he did when the rest of the word couldn’t see. Perhaps he had alternative motive behind everything he did but somewhere once there had been kindness.

Her eyes were steady as he asked for any information he could get on Cercelee or Cwmfen. Firefly startled when he announced that Cwmfen was gone. She realized that she had been gone far from the lands of Dahlia de Mai as she narrowed her eyes, doubtful that he would lie, but still unnerved by this announcement. ”Cwmfen? Cwmfen is gone?” She sighed to herself and realized that retrieving information would be a bit harder than she thought with the woad marked woman missing. She had others that might still be within the pack, or even friends outside the pack. She knew if it came down to it she could ask Kansas or even Ember to find things out, they were still allowed near the pack’s lands and they had family and friends as well living there. She would find a way and she would find others, whatever it took, she would see to it that Haku was put away for good. It was for the good of the lands.
[html]
@&#&$Though he didn't know (or want to know) the details, he was forced to accept her words as truth. He was tempted to dismiss not only Haku but all who enabled him as moronic, but there was no way all of them could be so stupid. The only logical conclusion, then, was that Haku was good at exploiting loopholes. He excelled at letting on only what he wanted and keeping the rest under wraps. In some ways, the two men weren't so different--maybe that was what frustrated him most? But nay--if he delved into it deeper, he'd find himself wholly sold on the idea that Haku was an idiot. Only a fool would develop such an unrealistic invincibility complex--by definition, leaders were high profile people. To commit so many crimes one after another and truthfully believe nobody would ever grow the wiser? Dumb (not to mention nuts).
@&#&$The story she told him was intriguing; he didn't recognise her mother as the woman he'd fought so very long ago. He'd been more rash back then, but he could still claim he'd been provoked and it wouldn't be a great stretch of truth. He'd given her a chance to run at any rate--perhaps if he connected this random woman to Firefly's tale he'd have found it more interesting, but the words she spoke kept his attention all the same. He and Gabriel knew a lot about one another, of course, but obviously not everything. "I don't think anyone--who's sane at least--wants to see another wolf torn limb from limb; mothers least of all," he offered with a small shrug. It wasn't something he could pretend to understand on any substantial level, but he still understood the gist of it.
@&#&$"Anyway, I'll certainly be interested in whatever you manage to dig up. I'll tell Gabriel and Kaena to keep an eye and an ear open for ya, too... ain't makin' any promises for the delinquents, though--everyone's on high alert. If things ever get hairy just call for me," he told her. He'd usually offer to meet in a neutral location but he had a strong feeling he wouldn't be doing much wandering for awhile. All of his typical "joy rides" had ground to a screeching halt already. Too much was at stake to be off fucking around. In war, things could turn within minutes. He could resume his personal projects later once the threat had passed.
@&#&$"Don't quote me on it; I'm not 100% sure. When I was in that area maybe two moons ago her scent was faded and weak. I haven't heard a peep about her since everything started, so I can only assume..." he trailed off with a short, soft sigh. Usually his hunches were right, and he didn't suspect this to be any different. "There's a woman named Kol there; the name fits her. Black fur, violet eyes," he explained suddenly; perhaps Firefly knew her already, but if not... "She was around for the first instalment of this lovely series" oh, the sarcasm "and she's back in town. She might be a good bet," he offered, before lapsing into silence once more. He couldn't think of anything else to say.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +537
[/html]
Sosu:503
Firefly narrowed her eyes when he spoke, her words questioning what he said as she asked, ”Would that make me just as twisted as he is, to want to see him face death in a way that’s deserving of a beast of his kind?” Perhaps Anselm didn’t want to see justice served in that manner but she had no issues with seeing Haku ripped limb from limb, in fact the idea was rather pleasing and if she had any chance to get her hands upon the bastard it wouldn’t be that bad of an idea. She wouldn’t mind letting every soul he’d ever wrong get a mark on the man before he was finished. It was a nice dream but she didn’t know how reasonable it was, was that the kind of death Gabriel had in mind for the monster she wondered.

She let her mind drift from the subject as Anselm informed her that any information she was able to return with would be good in his eyes. She nodded quietly as she was given his thoughts on how the clan might fare if she showed up along their borders. She lifted her head as her emerald eyes glittered dangerously as she admitted. ”I didn’t think I’d be so lucky this time, but I won’t ask for less than Gabriel, Kaena or you when I return.” She glanced towards the lands behind her as she added. ”It should take me long to find what is needed, if I’m lucky. A quarter moon tops..” She would return in a week, if she learned anything else interesting she’d come again, but in a week’s time she’d find herself at the clan’s borders with information gleaned from Dahlia de Mai.

Her ears twitched at the news of Cwmfen. She didn’t like that at all but she’d find a way around it if the woman was indeed gone from the lands. She frowned slightly as Anselm moved on with more information. She nodded quietly before admitted. ”I know Kol, she might be one of the few who would speak of what’s happened in the lands. She doesn’t seem to hold a grudge against what I did to Haku before I left the pack…” She was hesitant on that, not a hundred percent sure herself how Kol felt now but she didn’t believe the woman would offer harm to her, especially in her condition. She smirked as she spoke of her thoughts. ”Kol’s wise, she’d let me life, if only for the pups I bare, if her feelings towards me have changed.” She didn’t think that any of the females in the pack would attack her knowing she was with child, but she didn’t know the new figures who had emerged recently either.

She nodded towards Anselm as she sighed and cast her glance towards home. ”I should be going on.. but I’ll be back soon enough.” She had a long trek ahead of her if she wanted to get back to the cabin before Jacquez did.
[html]
@&#&$Her question brought a small frown to his face, though he quickly shook his head with resolution. "No--you recognise that he is not a wolf, but a monster." Though little in life was black and white, Haku had made it abundantly clear where he stood. Anselm refused to dignify the madman by thinking of him as one of their own--he was as much a bane to their species as a rabid mountain lion or bear. He wasn't one of them; Anselm doubted he ever had been. Real men did not slaughter innocents, turn on their own progeny, or deny mothers the right to their children. Haku was undeserving of sympathies usually extended to others of their own kind--he was instead a menace meant to be exterminated as quickly as possible.
@&#&$He certainly couldn't fault her for wanting to see him utterly crushed and destroyed (lest he be a hypocrite). Haku was so out of this world that Anselm wasn't sure he could persuade himself the sick beast was really gone short of corporal annihilation anyway. The scout was hardly superstitious, but Anselm would always wonder if some strange force might possess the man's corpse and use it to wreck havoc on their world once more unless they tore the Rosen's heart from his chest, his head from his shoulders, and the limbs from his body. If only he subscribed to the same beliefs as Gabriel, he'd be convinced that the blue-eyed demon had sold his soul to the devil--some binding eternal contract signed in blood. Ideally, at the end of this they'd set his body aflame and condemn him to whatever hell he'd gotten himself into.
@&#&$He nodded quickly as she spoke, keeping the time frame she'd quoted him in mind. He would give Kaena and Gabriel this estimate, as well. "Sounds like a plan," he offered simply. And with that, it seemed their risky little rendezvous was drawing to a close. The entire meeting had been remarkably efficient and he found his respect for the pale woman growing by the minute. She prepared to leave and he caught her eye. "Hey; good luck. Take care of yourself, all right?" he offered. She knew damn well what she was rushing into and he knew he couldn't be held accountable for any trouble she got into as a result of this little pact. He hadn't manipulated her any--she'd come here of her own accord and volunteered whatever services she could offer. That did not mean he wasn't concerned for her safety or that he didn't wish her well.
@&#&$It went beyond their mutual hatred for Haku, he thought; any ill-will he'd held toward her during the last war was now completely forgotten. She'd been but a child back then, perhaps a foolish one by his standards... but boy, had she grown up. Her eyes had been opened and he no longer doubted her perspective on the world. She was a capable ally, valuable for her connections to those members of the pack who were hesitant to accept Haku's decrees as just and truthful. He did not doubt she'd play some key role in the devil's downfall. Time alone could either confirm or deny his suspicions--as he watched her form retreat into the distance he let out a short call for the other two members of Inferni's powerful trinity. All's well, the call said, but there are matters to discuss once I return to the caves. With that, he turned away from the border and set off quickly for their territory's heart.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +596
[/html]