goons for hire.
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... hopper.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:165px; background-position:top center; background-color:#050000; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#FF7C00; line-height:16px">
        Anselm liked to bounce back and forth between Inferni and his garage, usually choosing to do so on a whim. Every so often, however, situations came up where he was kept in either place longer than expected. After the first assault on his garage, he'd been too paranoid to abandon the structure to the mercy of marauders--but after a bunch of things began to happen around the clan, he'd been too freaked out to really leave the borders unattended, too. At least the latter had one thing going for it: there were multiple patrols. He understood at least a couple of those outside of the leadership to do regular rounds--Snake, even Mason. Unfortunately, his garage was not so lucky. It was time to step up the security.

He had just a couple ideas how how such a goal might be realised. Step one: a safe. He'd seen the things before and he understood their purpose. Usually it would be nearly impossible for him to move it alone, but here the weather tossed him a bone. A makeshift sleigh with a rope harness would make transport through the snow-laden streets (relatively) trivial. It took him most of the morning to find a safe sufficiently not corroded; it took even longer to find one that had the combination listed nearby. When he found one, he memorised the code, put it in thrice for practise, and burned the piece of paper. He was to be the only one with access to these goods. Inside a dolly helped him get it to the door, from there some awkward finagling and grunting got it loaded onto the sleigh.

After shifting down to his secui form, he took the reigns in his teeth and began to pull. Although his task was aided by the decreased friction, the safe was still insanely heavy, and he had to plough his way through the snow to boot. The tattooed wolf thrived on such tests of physical endurance and strength, but by the time he'd covered half the distance to his final destination, he was forced to stop and catch his breath. White clouds appeared in front of his muzzle and vaporised just as quickly; now that neither his sleigh nor his feet were crunching through the snow, the entire city had grown eerily quiet in that way only possible during wintertime.

For all this effort, he lamented, he still wouldn't have a very good solution for the spring once the plants were actively growing. Nothing save another set of eyes and ears would stand a chance at keeping the fields from being raped and plundered... unless there was something more creative he hadn't managed to think of just yet. Even still, this would be an acceptable band-aid solution for the colder season ahead. The safe was rated to withstand fire and flood, and he suspected it would help to lock in the tell-tale scent of marijuana. If nobody knew there was something worth looking for, his crop would not be found.

yay! Thanks again for picking these two up, I think it'll be more entertaining than just playing them as NPCs. I figured here they could see him, lend a hand, and then that leads into the final setup. Big Grin
mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +504
[/html]
[html]
woot Big Grin

The weather was so cold that it burned. As a rottweiler, Axle's coat was not particularly thick and therefore offered little relief from the coldest winter days. Axle and his faithful companion, Grit, had come from farther south where the weather was considerably milder and the Canadian cold was taking some getting used to. As the two walked through the slush in silence, Axle began to wonder if their desire for a chance of scenery had been such a wise choice. The two had always been impulsive, and suddenly it seemed as though their childish drive for adventure would turn out to be a mistake.

"Yuh smell that, Grit? Wolves."

"I ain't smell shit, Ax, yuh cain't smell nuffin with my nose all frozen up like dis."

"Mine ain't froze. I smell wolves."

The truth was, Axle's nose was about as frozen as the snow they walked upon, but wolves were the dominant species in the world at this time, at least that's what Axle's experiences told him, and it was always good to reassure Grit when hope seemed lost, small reassurances that might not be true but were indeed believable, that was the key to being a leader, Axle reasoned. You had to say things that kept the faith going. If your followers didn't trust every word that came out of your mouth, you'd lost them.

As if to reassure Axle that he was in fact a noble leader, a wolf appeared, though as for what he was doing, Axle had no idea. His dark coat, now wet from the snow that had fallen upon him and melted from his dwindling heat, made him stand out against the white blanket that coated the rest of the land, and Axle was sure that if the wolf looked up at any given moment, he and Grit would be spotted in no time. With that thought, Axle reasoned that there was no hope in hiding, maybe they'd even get a place to stay for the night, after all it was outrageously cold, especially for two dogs.

As Axle neared, he realized that the wolf was pulling some foreign object with much difficulty. Without consulting Grit about it, Axle decided to offer them both up as assistance. After all, nothing in life was free, and if the two wanted shelter from the cold, they'd have to pull their weight. No pun intended. "Hullo pal," Axle thundered. "Yuh look like yuh could use some assistance, yeh?" Though Axle was curious as to what the stranger was pulling, he decided against asking just yet, too many questions right off the bat were always a bother. Behind him, Grit waited uneasily, slightly embarrassed by his companion's method of jumping right in to the situation. Years had passed and he still wasn't quite used to Axle's lack of shame.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">yeeee! you're playing them exactly as I imagined! <3 also, feel free to powerplay as much of the travel in your next post as possible--Anselm probably wouldn't want to talk to them much if they were doing work already, and once they reach the garage they can chill inside and talk.
@&#&$Perhaps all of the physical exertion had finally caught up with him. His mind was usually a tangle of thoughts and tangents, but for the moment it had grown comfortably blank. The light shimmered so nicely off the untouched snow in front of him that he found his gaze drawn to it. If he looked hard enough he could just see all of the sun's colours reflected in the crystalline powder; it was truly mesmerising. When a strong voice broke his concentration, the snow immediately became white again, the gears started turning, and one ear fell back. Looking up, he found himself in the company of two peculiar looking canines. Maybe a year ago he would have been surprised by their appearance--one was dark as night with distinct tan accents and the other a mottled, striped pattern he had no name for--but after living the past month or so in the company of an African wild dog, little could phase him in the looks department.
@&#&$Without missing a beat he simply nodded, offering a grateful wag of his tail. "Yeah, man; I can make it worth your while," he said, having a firm understanding of how such things worked. He appreciated the dog's forwardness and the least he could do was reciprocate. Anselm always liked that in others--he didn't like having to beat around the bush any more than he liked pulling teeth. Everyone got what they needed much faster when they simply manned up and said exactly what the hell they wanted. He supposed he could smoke them up once they reached the garage, assuming they were interested. Failing that, he still had some alcohol lying around, and he could always offer his services so far as pointing out the best hunting spots. There was no concern that they wouldn't be able to figure something out.

@&#&$"I'm trying to get this to my garage. It's maybe another couple of kilometres that way," he said, indicating the direction with a flip of his nose. "I can lead the way and clear a path for you--not sure there's enough room for us all to pull without stepping on toes," he explained, amused that the popular expression could be taken so literally. Maybe he should have come prepared with more rope, but he'd honestly thought the endeavour would be one he undertook alone. It seemed a little strange that anybody else was interested in hauling a several hundred ton safe through the desolate streets of an abandoned city, but who was he to question? Although he was built for this weather, the prospect of getting inside to warm up and have a quick smoke was a welcome one, and the two men meant this goal could be realised all the sooner. Still, he couldn't help but be curious about his unlikely company.
@&#&$After wriggling himself out of the makeshift harness, he took a moment to shake out his coat, which did at least something to remove the creases pushed into his fur by the ropes. With that, he offered a curt dip of his head. "The name's Anselm," he offered, figuring names were a good place to start.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +529
[/html]
[html]
yayy, they're quite a fun pair to play. ;D

The transaction was unspoken, but as soon as the stranger agreed to Axle and Grit's help, figurative hands shook to seal the deal. Though Axle wasn't yet sure of what his particular end of the bargain might be, he knew something was coming for him so long as he did the man a good job. The unknown didn't quite bother him, for though he was long past puppyhood, one never quite grew out of their excitement in regards to surprises. Now that the strangers were much closer to one another, Axle began to notice differences in the male that suggested he was not entirely wolf. In fact, he was almost sure another species tainted the creature's blood, though he would not ask as it was not extremely important. Still, the red eyes were intimidating.

Looking back to Grit, who'd remained silent through the short exchange of words, he nodded his head, "C'mon pal, get yuhself good to go." In case Grit was not quite sure what Axle meant by that (which wouldn't surprise him, the Presa Canario could be rather dim-witted), Axle proceeded to shift into his Secui form, which was much more fit for the job at hand. Once the two canines had transformed into bigger, stronger, and more solid forms of themselves, Grit listened up for the man's instructions. "Yuh got it, buddy, weather's a bitch but wit da two of us it ain't gonn' be too hard, jus lead da way," Axle stated before hearing Anselm's introduction. "Nice ta meet yuh Anselm, I'm Axle and dis here's Grit. He ain't mute, though at the moment he could be mistaken as such," he laughed, a deep laugh that rose from his belly, before gripping the rope firmly in his teeth and watching out of the corner of his eye as Grit followed, still looking apprehensive.

There was some difficulty in maneuvering the dolly, but eventually the job was complete and the safe was right where it needed to be. Huffing and puffing, the two dogs shifted into their more comfortable Optime forms and leaned against the wall of the garage. "So dis yur place den?" Grit asked, finally breaking his silence, for which Axle was grateful, as he hated the way Grit often came off as rude due to his long periods of quiet.

"It's real nice," Axle added, keeping it friendly.

[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
@&#&$"Likewise," he offered simply in the way of introductions before they set off. They covered ground quickly, with him trudging ahead to break the snow in and removing any obstacles obstructing their way. Before too much longer they'd reached the garage; here Anselm shifted and ran around the back to open the door. He'd opened one of the bay doors to make it easier, but eventually they managed to finagle the damned thing into a corner and the task was done. Promptly shutting the door to lock out the cold, he turned just as the brindle dog spoke for the first time. Anselm was comfortable in silence; Grit hadn't been eyeing him up and down like he was ready to pounce or anything, but the gesture was appreciated all the same. "Sure is, feel free to make yourselves at home," he said, gently tossing each a dry towel and indicating the couch with a wave of his paw.
@&#&$Hurriedly he began to stuff some shit into the safe, just wanting to get it over with before settling in to relax. By the time he was done it was only about halfway full--perfect. That meant there was room to expand. Most of his bowl pieces and all of the bongs were still out on display, along with the half-drunk bottle of vodka and one container of green. "My daughter actually found this place and put it back together," he said, kicking the safe shut as he turned about. He made his way over and plopping down into the bean bag chair that sat across the table from the couch. Usually he took a seat on the latter when he had company, but here he figured he might as well let the two dogs sit together. "When she split earlier in the year I took over. She'd be the main one responsible for all of this, too," he said, shaking a small container of bud.

@&#&$"You boys smoke?" he queried, opening the sealed container so that they could catch a whiff. The strong piny scent was almost sweet, but he knew not all liked to partake. Still, he sort of hoped they did--it made transactions like these (not to mention settling in with new company in general) much easier. Failing that, he could always trade them some amount that they could use for barter further on down the line. He had no idea what their plans were, really--whether they were just passing through, looking to settle down in a pack, etcetera. Perhaps over a nice session he'd be able to figure it all out. The dynamic he saw between them was intriguing, and even the way they spoke suggested they weren't from around the area. Anselm always did like learning about strange places far away.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +465
[/html]
[html]
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304 ... egrit2.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:150px; background-position:top center; background-color:#000000; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#97562F; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
        Axle looked around in silence, unsure what exactly to do now. Why the hybrid needed a garage and what the giant box they'd lugged into it was both remained unanswered questions for the time being, though neither dog had any intention to ask. Both Axle and Grit were grateful when Anselm spoke again and tossed them each a towel, which they quickly used to dry off their soaking pelts. Slinging the towel over his shoulders and nodding at Grit as he did the same, the two muscular canines took a seat on the couch as instructed.

As Anselm began to go to work loading up the box which had opened up to reveal a spacious inside, Axle's clouded mind suddenly began to understand exactly what was going on. The smell that reached his recently defrosted nose brought back memories of a younger canine, though by looking at Grit he verified that his companion had never been exposed to the wonders of marijuana. Suddenly, the entire scene cleared as the bowls, bongs, vodka bottle, and a container of the goods themself came into view. Smiling slightly at the sight to show understanding, Axle's ears perked as the man spoke again. Daughter? Both boys tensed at the idea that yet another being lurked somewhere in the garage, but as Anselm elaborated they relaxed.
        " 'Aven't in awhile, been awhile since I even smelt the stuff," Axle replied, though the brightness in his eyes showed that he was not opposed to the idea of a good old walk down memory lane. "I 'aven't buhfore," Grit said quietly, suddenly extremely uncomfortable with the entire situation, feeling the unease of a little kid who's just been told a big word they haven't yet learned. "Buh I'd like to, yeh?" the Presa Canario continued, trying to make up for his lack of knowledge with enthusiasm.
        "Yuh seem ta have yuhself a good collection here, yeh?" Axle said, smirking slightly at Grit's discomfort. He supposed it was his fault for never introducing his younger companion to the world of drugs, but in their travels they hadn't really had exposure to it until now.

<3
[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
@&#&$Anselm's daughter was a free-loving spirit--enthusiastic, intelligent, and kind. Even if she had been hiding somewhere in the garage, the most she would ever do was jump out with a soft boo! before giggling at the looks on their faces and settling down to talk. Although he felt some connection to her every time he entered this garage, she was rarely in his conscious thoughts. It was only then that he'd miss her; it was then that he'd be forced to think of Ryan, too. No matter how much good he did, he'd never be able to omit those few glaring fuck ups from his memory--but the drugs helped.
@&#&$Needless to say, it took little encouragement from the two dogs to start him preparing a bowl for their enjoyment. He selected one of the nicer looking buds from the container; it had more of a frosty white coating than the others, though it remained interspersed with the red-orange hairs that seemed typical of whatever strain he was growing. It was sticky and the tinier pieces would get stuck on the thin fur on his fingers, and every so often he would pause to gingerly pick it out with his dark nails. The little pile continued to grow as he talked.
@&#&$"Yup; I'm looking to expand come spring. Might even get a greenhouse going sooner so I can get a head start, but as I'm sure you've guessed, security is something of an issue and I'm not sure how that will work out." If he started with the poppies he wouldn't have such a huge problem on his hands; the flowers were far less smelly and recognisable. Still, anyone with half a brain to stumble upon an active greenhouse tucked this far away in the city would realise the plants inside were of certain value. "Already had one attempted break-in a couple months ago," he lamented.
@&#&$It was strange that nobody had looted the fields while the buds he picked apart now were growing, but he assumed ignorance had been on his side. This little pocket of decaying suburbia attracted far fewer visitors than the large stores and supply depots found closer to centre city. As word of his trade spread, however, he didn't think he could invest so much faith in chance (much less the good will of those who sought him out in the first place).
@&#&$"Not that I'd mind sticking around here myself; there's a few lakes just outside the neighbourhood and an old reserve for food," he added, brushing his hands together to dislodge the last of the weed flakes, "but sometimes duty calls and I can't be in two places at once." He didn't know how familiar they were with the geography of the area--though Inferni could certainly be further it could also be a lot closer, too. Phoenix Valley wasn't very far at all, and the land those wolves claimed was pretty much adjacent to the city. If he lived there it would be trivial to stop by here every day, even if things were chaotic on the home front.
@&#&$"But such is life, eh?" he wondered rhetorically, just as he completed packing the bowl. He had broken off more than enough to fill it and he left it loosely packed. He would rather smoke two bowls of fluff than bust a lung sucking on compacted plant matter and ash. He took a quick minute to explain the anatomy of the bowl and the lighter to Grit, demonstrating the workings of the latter before placing both objects on the table. He'd let them decide who got the green hit. "So where you two from, anyway?" he finally asked, figuring whoever didn't smoke first could field the question.
@&#&$

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +624
[/html]
[html]
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s304 ... egrit2.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:150px; background-position:top center; background-color:#000000; text-align:justify; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#97562F; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">
        Axle watched intently as Anselm began packing the bowl. He was eager to smoke, having not done so in a couple years and wondered if it would be like riding a bike--once you've done it you never forget how. Though the garage was in a considerably inconspicuous location, there was always going to be a couple lurkers who might happen upon it by pure luck. And if word got out about an unguarded haven for good pot, there was no telling what kind of break-ins might occur. Hell, Anselm could lose everything in the garage if the knowledge of its location was passed on to the right people. The safe was a good protective measure, but if he intended to expand as he said he did, there was little a safe could do.

It was then that Axle was hit by what he was sure to be a stroke of brilliance. "Yuh know, Grit n' me could watch over da place for yuh. We ain't got no ties to any place in perticuluh, floaters, we is. But if we 'ad a reason to stick 'round, we could. Might be nice to 'ave a shelter n' constant food supply like yuh say there is. We's purdy good guard dogs," he laughed, opening his arms to show a gesture that said the offer was on the table.

When Anselm put the lighter and bowl on the table, Axle waited to see if his companion would take the initiative, though he doubted it. History told Axle that Grit was a follower, he did only when Axle did first. Smirking at the thought, Axle leaned forward and picked up both objects. Smiling, he placed the bowl to his lips and lit it, sucking in hard and holding it for a good few seconds to enjoy the burn before blowing out the smoke slowly. Not even a cough.
"Good shit, man," he said before proceeding to take another hit while Grit answered Anselm's question.
        "We from da midwest," Grit stated plainly. "Ain't much but wide open fields for da most part. Lotsa ranches, dat's where we'd live mostly, lotsa dogs like us live on da ranches down der. Built lil packs wit da ranches at da center and expanded upon dem. We pretty handy wit da tools and such, did a lotta fixin' up and maintenance for dem," he explained, though his eyes were on Axle as he tried to get an idea of how to smoke, hoping he wouldn't look like a fool when it was his turn. "Like he said, we drifters, never stayed in one place too much. Was kinda borin for da most part, up 'ere we see a lot more activity. Lot more wolves too, less like us, yeh? "
        Axle then handed him the bowl and lighter. Grit uttered a nervous chuckle and gripped them both tightly, hesitating a moment before repeating what he'd seen Axle do. As soon as he sucked in he fell into a coughing fit, unable to stop till tears streamed down his cheeks and Axle had to pound his back. "Yuh alright der buddy?" Grit simply nodded and smiled sheepishly, setting down the bowl and lighter as he tried to find his pride, for it had seemed to run away laughing a few moments ago.
[/html]
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... s/truc.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:187px; background-position:top center; background-color:#F8BB4D; text-align:justify; font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#AB360D; line-height:15px;padding-bottom:10px;">Powerplay, let me know if it's for some reason not okay. xD
@&#&$Anselm tapped his chin, surprised by the generous offer. The two dogs were certainly an intimidating looking pair and he doubted anybody would try to mess with them. "Yea; y'know, I like the sound of that. I've only got one key for this garage, but I've got access to a place just across the street, too. Structure's quite possibly in better shape than this place, anyway," he explained, knowing that the house this garage actually belonged to was not so lucky. The roof had caved in and with the influx of rain, snow and critters came the inevitable rot. It was fortunate the garage was detached. "There's some stuff that has to be cleaned out 'n it could definitely use a few days with the windows open to air out, but it's got a fireplace and you'd have it all to yourselves." He figured the two car garage would grow a little bit crowded with two occupants, but in the house they could conceivably have entire floors to themselves. It would be close enough that they could keep an eye on his place, but far enough away that neither party felt they were invading one another's space.
@&#&$"At any rate, I'm glad you approve--I would hook you up with a stipend every month; every full moon seems easy. I'd probably see you more often than that anyway, but it seems best to error on the side of caution, yea?" he asked. This would cut into his supply substantially, but it wouldn't be long before he could start growing more and he certainly had the surplus to spare. Wasn't it best to expend one third of his spoils on protection than risk all of it being stolen while he was away? "Further on down the line I should have other options available if you get sick of the bud," he added. His offers were usually more than generous and he figured they'd always be able to work something out that was fair. A lot of animals preferred alcohol to smoke, though as far as he was concerned it was just another kind of burn for a different form of intoxication--still, with the information he'd gleaned from Rurik, he'd be able to distil his own liquor once he got around to setting it up.

@&#&$He listened as Grit explained their situation, rubbing his hands together excitedly at the prospect of construction or maintenance services. "Ah, brilliant! With you two to help, maybe I'd get those other operations going sooner than I'd thought," he said. This whole development was so unexpected and he was growing rather excited. Doors were opening before his very eyes and damned if he'd stand around waiting to see if it got any better. He presented his hand to Axle as Grit took the pipe--an official offer, a binding agreement that both parties were obligated to fulfil. If ever he fell back on his payments they'd be free to leave--if ever they shirked their duty he'd owe them nothing more. Once the deal was sealed, he offered what remained of a bottle of water to Grit in exchange for the smoking implements. Maybe once they were done here he could show them around their new quarters.

mall-caps;font-weight:bold;text-align:right; border-top:1px solid #AB360D">SoSuWriMo +539
[/html]