never a chance
Ooc: sorry it took so long to get this up.

IC:
Firefly had shifted soundlessly in the snow that bordered the edge of the babbling brook. The temperatures had been warm enough to melt the ice though the snow still held it’s ground. She knew that sooner or later Kol would arrive and she would bring the information needed to Inferni. Firefly also knew that the woman was loyal to the pack, though she couldn’t figure out why, Haku would get them all killed in the end. Firefly had removed herself from being a casualty of Haku’s mistakes but she was still overly involved. Her shoulder ached fierce as she ran her fingers over the scar, the scab just beginning to flake off her skin.

She sighed and gave up, knowing that Kol would be there soon enough, she threw back her head and howled, called forth Anselm from Inferni’s safekeeping and pleading with him to meet her request. Kol had agreed upon the high moon and it was rising fast above her now. She knew by the time that Anselm arrived even at his quickest that time would have passed and the moon would almost be in position. It didn’t matter to her which arrived first, Inferni or Dahlia de Mai, just as long as they were both her. She suspected that Kol could have met Anselm by herself, but Kol hadn’t been given permission to bring information to the lands, Firefly had. All three of them together could just be seen as friends meeting and chattering about old times, alone Kol could have found herself in the center of trouble.

Firefly shifted her weight off her still slightly tender right ankle and glanced down to the water whispering In the creek. Her reflection showed the bright red scar that graced her cheek and the nicked ear as she sighed and brushed her hand past the wounds. She wound mourn foolishly her spoiled looks but she had known better to lose her temper, perhaps for once she’d learn from this all. She shook her head and cast her eyes elsewhere, hoping that her companions arrived soon. Being alone with oneself was never the best thing, atleast not to the Sadira woman.
[html]

OOC: No problem love!! <333

It was time. The moon was high in the evening sky, and Kol had been making her way to the forbidden land of Inferni since nightfall. Her steps were slowed by her absolute need for stealth, and her black mane of long, hair-like fur fell past her shoulders without their typical adornments. The only break in the night-kissed black of her pelt were the earring in her right ear and the triangle of ashen white upon her chest. Most of the trip across the neutral lands between the packs had been made in her smaller, more subtle wolf form, yet as the Dahlian had come closer to the lands belonging to her pack's enemy, she'd taken the time to shift her form to her more battle-ready optime. Kol was coming to the land under a flag of peace and negotiation flown by her former packmate Firefly, but she was still a Dahlian. If Anselm was not the one who answered the call for parlay, Kol may well have a desperate fight on her hands.

As she melted from the night near the borders of the forbidden packland, Kol took a moment to glance at the grotesque warnings the coyotes had placed around their boundaries. The skulls grinned down at the black female from their miserable perches, the ones cleaned of flesh glowing dully in the light of the moon. The sight had given the woman the shivers the last time she'd crossed these borders, with war and destruction on the Dahlian party's minds. Now she simply found them disturbing, and she could swear she saw one of the skulls grin wider as she turned her violet gaze away.

Apparently, Kol's timing was perfect. Firefly's howl split the air as Kol caught sight of her, no sign of an Infernian nearby as of yet. Cautiously, her ears twitching at every sound, eyes taking in every little detail in the moonlit night, Kol quietly made her way over to the other female. There was no doubt in her heart that she was doing the right thing by seeking advice and an audience with Anselm, and that arranging to make the visit with Firefly was the most intelligent way to organize it. It was well known that had Kol attempted to come to the borders alone, her life would have been forfeit without a second thought. But Firefly had somehow earned a place of either respect or at the very least tolerance within the leadership of Inferni, and though Kol's safety still was not a guarantee, she stood the best chance she possibly could with this arrangement.

Kol nodded softly in greeting to the other woman as she approached her. The black woman's every movement revealed her uneasiness at being there, every muscle taut and every sense alert as she took a place at Firefly's right side. She took a brief moment to glance back over her shoulder in the direction she'd come, assuring herself for the thousandth time that no one had followed her. If word of her liason were to get back to Dahlia and Haku himself, her only fate would be the swift death of one branded the ultimate traitor. What she was doing was only for the safety and future of her beloved Dahlia, but she knew without a doubt that it would never, ever be viewed in that way.

Table by Tay

[/html]
[html]

WC: 392 -fail.- :[

In Character

A call sounded from beyond the borders and Anselm's response was automatic. He chimed in with a cry of his own--the low, wolfish drone an RVSP of sorts (On my way), and the coyote-like yaps punctuating it a signal to the other members of the clan (I've got it; no interference necessary). He set off at a comfortable speed from his den, the proximity of their ultimate meeting spot to his home territory affording him more confidence and ease than what was available to either of the two women.

Although Anselm naturally fell into a follower role in the presence of competent authority, he could easily step up to the plate when required. Tension was thick within the air and he did his best to dissipate it by standing tall, offering a few friendly wags of his tail, and rocking back into a comfortable, confident sit. As far as he was concerned they were both safe with him here--those from Inferni would listen whether he told them to fuck off as he conversed with the "enemy" or join in the fight against any rogue Dahlians, supposing Kol had been followed and they found themselves in the middle of an ambush.

Kol, I didn't know you'd be joining us, he piped up merrily. Just because the matter on hand was very dire didn't mean all friendliness (or stability) had to be thrown out the window. Gotta say, you've both gotta lot of moxie, he added, tone complimentary as his gaze flitted over to Firefly. He could already see that she was a little worse for the wear since the last time they'd met; she'd been scratched up and was disfavouring one of her feet. That she'd resolved to linger sandwiched between two potential adversaries was nothing short of remarkable.

Undoubtedly both females were undertaking a great risk coming here; he found his respect for each increasing accordingly (as was the case every time they crossed paths so far, but that was beside the point). So whatcya got? he wondered, addressing neither in particular. Whether he wanted to admit it or not, it would probably be best if they kept this little rendezvous brief. It meant Firefly could be back on her way to safety that much faster and Kol's coat would have less of a chance to pick up his scent.

<style>
.anselm-A01 p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.anselm-A01 b {color:#874002;}
.anselm-A01-separator {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; margin:0px 0px 2px 0px; color:#874002; padding-right:20px;}
.anselm-A01-ooc {font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.anselm-A01 {background-color:#D3AE6A; padding:297px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/anselmtable.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:420px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
Firefly's eyes flicked back as Kol joined her, a slight smile on her lips before the two women settled into waiting. She knew that Anselm would come if asked but she didn't know what he would think of the added company, though it seemed they were friends. It didn't take her too long to find out though, as Amselm appeared from the direction of the Inferni border, a wag of his tail and a relaxed position as he sat back to join them. She relaxed herself as she dipped her head in acknowledgment of the leader as they all settled in.

When Anselm spoke of them showing face in the middle of war her lips pulled back in a tight grimace as she spoke drily. "Kol's pack mates gave me little choice now on where I stand." Her eyes shifting to the dark hued woman with a slight nod, there being no harm between the two of them though Firefly's feeling towards many of her expack were less than warm and joyous. She shifted her weight off her tender ankle again as she flicked her tail back and forth in mild agitation at the thought.

His words were short and to the point as he asked just what the news was. Firefly turned towards Kol as she spoke briefly, though her words were slightly bitter. "Kol's the one who wanted to come and speak.. I'm just here because I can open the door for her." She knew that Anselm would have spoken to Kol himself but getting away to see her when she was the known enemy would have been a little bit difficult, Firefly just had the access to make it smoother for all. She began to rub her favored paw in the snow to dull the ache as she waited for Kol to speak.
[html]
It appeared Firefly hadn't been exaggerating when she'd told Kol of her relationship with Inferni. The fiery woman's request was answered promptly by a voice Kol well recognized, and her tension eased ever so slightly. She had known that Anselm held a place of importance amongst the hybrid clan, and the manner with which he instructed his packmates that the request was his business alone verified that knowledge. The dark Dahlian still felt incredibly uneasy beneath the cruel gazes of the trophy wolf skulls, but she had come to trust Anselm and would never believe he would willingly lead her and Firefly into a trap. Her trust may one day prove to be foolishly and fatally misplaced, but Kol's heart spoke otherwise.

As the ruddy male appeared from the darkness, Kol's lips curled into a genuine smile of warmth. Her tail thudded softly against the soft earth as she returned his friendly tailwag. "Anselm, it's good to see you again, my friend." For a moment, a simple sense of old friends getting together for pleasant conversation came over the charcoal female. Images of brainstorming jewelry ideas for Firefly (which she made a mental note to finally finish and give to her former packmate as soon as possible) and bantering back and forth with Anselm flooded her mind. Only too soon were the images replaced by the tragedy of Firefly's treatment by Haku and the sight of Anselm racing across the battlefield on the day of Haku's infiltration of Inferni in the first war. The glimpses very suddenly reminded Kol of the true reason for the night-blessed meeting.

Kol was content to let Firefly speak first. After all, she was the liason and Kol's sponsor for the night. The woman's explanation was brief, and the Stormbringer nodded her sincere appreciation to her before turning her tired violet eyes back to Anselm's ruby gaze. A heavy sigh escaped her throat as she began. "You've no idea how much I wish this meeting were under better circumstances. Anselm, there has to be some way to end this before things explode. I was blind in the last war, a foolish little girl who wanted desperately to prove herself to her newly chosen family. A lot has happened since then, both within Dahlia and without, and I realize now how stupid I was. Don't misunderstand me, I love Dahlia de Mai with all my heart, and I'm only here to try and do the right thing for the members of my pack. Haku has dragged all of Dahlia into his misguided vendetta, and I can only imagine his reasons for it. I used to see a troubled soul behind his icy blue eyes, but now all I see is a darkness that's finally swallowed him whole. Unfortunately, he's gathered a great many new followers, and those of us within the pack who fear where he's leading us are helpless to do anything on our own. To challenge him is to invite death; to attempt to leave the pack would undoubtedly do so as well." Kol's thoughts once again returned to Haku's daughter Coli, and the miracle that the girl was still alive. It was still a mystery to Kol why the Rosen had never gone after her, as there was no doubt in her mind he wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone he deemed a deserter. "I really don't even know why I'm here Anselm. I just know that I have to try to find some way to end this stupid war before anyone else, on either side, is lost."

Part of the woman still railed against the idea of what she was doing, her loyalties torn between the allegiance she'd sworn to her leader and the duty and devotion she felt toward her pack as a whole. Haku was no longer the same wolf who'd earned the younger Kol's respect and loyalty, but she'd sworn to follow him back then nonetheless and what she did now was breaking that vow. Her heart still told her that her greater duty was to the safety and protection of Dahlia's members as a whole, but it didn't make her emotions any less conflicted. Either way, the thought of seeing Alexey or innocent Bris harmed in any way by a senseless conflict had been what had made up her mind. She could only pray that Haku never found out about her apparent betrayal, or that he found out at least after things had already been set on a path to peace. Kol was taking a great risk and she knew that, but after all, what did she possibly have to lose? Her children were dead, her mate was missing, and her little sister was safe in her lack of knowledge in Kol's deeds. Her life would be the only price she might pay, but to Kol, that life would have meant nothing if she'd abandoned her honor and supported a mad tyrant in the destruction of his very kingdom.
[/html]