sorrow well rehearsed.
[html]

Arachnea's Revenge. :3 Let us say this is backdated to February 6thish, if that's okay by you? :o

The cloud-colored canine had ventured beyond Inferni's borders today, daring to step beyond the perimeter that kept them all safe. The silver-furred hybrid did not play coy; she knew the area between Inferni's borders and the Dahlia de Mai was dangerous, but she desired to know more about it all the same. It was likely something key would happen in these woods, and the better she knew the area the better off she was. So she had begun by looping around the areas nearest to Inferni several times, trekking through the snowy world quickly. It was roughly up to her ankles, but her wolfish heritage had given her their same ability to thrive in winter. She moved rather like a wolf across the snow, her grizzled shoulders hunched and her head held low. Today she was four-legged, as she knew she was liable to walk great distances—otherwise she might have been found in her Optime form, as it was her preferred outside of the clan's borders.

Pausing, the silver-furred coyote lifted her muzzle to the chilly afternoon air; though the sun was shining brightly, it did little for the temperature. They had entered the freeze times; winter was no longer simply toying with them in coquetry; the temperature and the layer of snow on the ground was evidence enough of that. It hardly bothered Kaena, who had been born into such things—she was no desert-bred coyote, and her coat was made to withstand frigid temperatures as well as any pure-blooded wolf's fur. The air was devoid of fresh wolf scent; she wished she could make out even the old, stale smells of the Dahlian canines who had attacked Inferni, but it had been weeks since they had perpetrated their crimes, and she caught no trace of them in the air.

Word Count: 302
<style>
.kae-nothing p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.kae-nothing b {color:#FFFFFF;}
.kae-nothing-words { border-top:1px solid #000000; width: 400px; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; margin:10px 0px 0px 0px; text-transform:uppercase; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.kae-nothing-separator {text-align:center; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px;}
.kae-nothing-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.kae-nothing {background-color:#373e41; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
wc:306 // uwaaa I only just stumbled on this yesterday! ;o; let me know if you still want it backdated, it's fine by me.

The king was out and looking for trouble. Vigilante and Haven, his two most able-bodied men, had stepped up their border patrol, and both had strongly advised him against getting involved with the conflict. He had to wait until they were both distracted with their women to be able to exit the kingdom. Jacquez really couldn't help it - he thrived on chaos, violence brought him alive. Everything was so structured and regulated here, formalities and boundaries and rules, rules, rules. Bah.

"Ce n'est pas vivre," he growled passionately underneath his breath, stomping noisily through the snow. He was a tall smudge of russet against a world of white, plainly visible and obviously hoping to be spotted. His sense of direction in the wintry lands was particularly poor, though, since he had ambled closer to Inferni than Dahlia de Mai, and was really hoping to take a shot at Haku... Who wasn't? Any signs of scuffling he found on his way here were old though, obscured by falling snow, the scent already blown away. It was disappointing how quiet things had become, and he hoped he wasn't too late to make himself be known...

The afternoon light made the snow dazzlingly bright, enough that the Optime had to shield his eyes with his one arm to see past the glare. The landmarks were all unfamiliar. "...Damn." he cursed, kicking the snow beneath him. This was boring. Ruri would no doubt be pleased that he wasn't getting himself into danger, which inversely made him upset. She should be worried about him, since she was going against his wishes and all. That she was happy in the arms of another man was driving Jacquez to act wilder, to demand more attention. "I said, 'damn'!" he bellowed louder, grimacing at the empty echo that met him. Where was everyone?

[/html]
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/erin_kaetablegray.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Actually, mid-Feb/when you replied is good for me me now, too. XD I haven't had any new threads in like, a month and it makes me sad. :< But whenever is good for you, either way. Wink And I have a horrible habit of not PM'ing when I get threads up, I'm sorry. D: ((415))

Kaena would not have characterized herself in such a way, but in truth she thrived on structure and orderliness. She was hardly a perfectionist when it came to herself, but she did not realize the amount of comfort she derived from Inferni's rankings and borders and clearly-defined rules. Perhaps she was just so used to them that living any other way was simply nonsensical to her. Since attaining the Centurion's position within the clan the cloudy-furred coyote had been more than happy; working with Gabriel and now Anselm had proven far better beyond her own optimistic expectations. Having a full Legatus staff aboard the coyote clan was even better—though she had not known Anselm the years she had known some of the other canids of Inferni, he had already proven himself exponentially more worthy than his weight in gold. Though he seemed to be more of a free spirit than most, the silvery coyote did not doubt his fealty to the clan in the least.

Movement in the distance naturally caught the hybrid woman's eye, and she crouched, hoping to remain unseen until she determined the other creatures' identity. Vague words drifted over the distance between them, muffled and too faraway for her to identify by voice alone; creeping forward, the silver-furred canine began to lose the suspicion that she had encountered a Dahlian wolf. One of them would not be so carefree in his or her movements in the spit of forest stretching between Inferni and Dahlia de Mai—this was the hot zone, in both the pack's and the clan's mind. The coyote woman lifted herself out of her crouch and approached more boldly, having identified the carrier of the scent—a very familiar and extremely comforting one. She halted some distance away from Jacquez and called to him in a short, low yip, designed to keep to the immediate area. She didn't need her voice carrying over to Dahlian ears; their proximity to the other clan's lands was not beyond Kaena, and she wished for him to approach her rather than the other way around, for that would bring them ever-closer to Dahlian lands. She could see him now more clearly, yellow-gold eye roving over his familiar form. There was no flirtation in Kaena now as there had been in the city; still the thought of physical closeness and familiarity made her physically ill. It made her think of Haku and even Vieira, and what she'd done to the tawny-furred girl.

<style>
.kae-gifterin091 b {color:#D7CA2E;}
.kae-gifterin091 p {text-indent:25px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
wc: 328 // ooc: Well, he encounters Haku on the 25th, so anytime before that is fine! :>

The echo faded, and no one appeared. The petulant king grimaced, frustrated that he had wandered too far after all. His footpaws were beginning to ache a bit from the cold -- unlike the coyote approaching him, Jacquez was not suited to the winter at all. His fur was long, but silky and thin, unhelpful against even the lightest draft. He had a lean build, precious little body fat, and staunchly refused to don clothing for no other reason than vanity. This miserable season made him long for the sweltering southern heat, humidity and all.

Jacquez's fringed ears perked forward at the sound of a yip, a call he did not hear too frequently. He squinted against the bright snow, seeing a small figure some distance away from him. In no immediate hurry, the tall Optime loped in her direction, recognizing her scent as he drew nearer. Kaena Lykoi! A roguish smile wreathed his muzzle, amusement bright in his gaze. Her company was always welcome -- although preferably as an Optime, she looked like a ragged old dog on all fours! Actually, there was something different about her, he noted as he closed the distance between them. The matriarch seemed... haggard, worn out.

"How's life been treating you, ma reine?" he drawled easily, not as loudly as before, although the man did not know how to whisper. Were the Dahlians winning? "I thought I'd find myself a piece of the action, but it looks like the warmongers went home for the day." He shot her a wink, hoping to spark a bit of the fire she had displayed in their previous encounter. She hadn't struck him as the sort of leader that would allow enemies to harass her family for long. Maybe there was a strategy he could get in on! Flirtation was not the first thing on his mind either, although that was mainly attributed to her unappealing Lupus form. The obstinate monarch was picky about that...

[/html]
[html]

OOC: February 20! XD ((302))

The silver-furred hybrid didn't truly know happiness any longer—the most she had been afforded were the brief moments of distraction provided by her friends and family. Dining with Gabriel and Vieira, drinking and horse-riding with Cotl—brief glimpses into contentment was all the silver-furred owman could find anymore. Perhaps someday she would be able to truly enjoy herself again, but for now, there was only war on the hybrid woman's mind. The anxiety, tension, and hostility of it kept her going, a hope that she would find her vengeance soon. More than anything, the silver-furred coyote lived on bloodshed, and now was no different. She yearned to spill Haku's blood for what he'd done to her.

As the one-armed canine approached, a sort of relief flooded Kaena, quite welcoming toward the man's presence. She had never seen Jacquez in combat, but the simple fact that he'd chewed his own arm off spoke worlds for his strength and pain tolerance; she didn't doubt he could certainly hold his own in combat, even with such a striking disadvantage. “Better now, you're here,” she replied, smiling faintly. She almost wanted to apologize for not returning his coquetry, but she did not. Such an apology might lead to questions, and as much as she liked Jacquez, she didn't think he would appreciate knowing what had happened to her. Perhaps she had misjudged him slightly, or she was concerned that he might perceive her differently after learning of such a thing. “I expect Dahlia is sulking behind their borders as usual,” she added derisively, shaking her head. “Not above sneaking in the night, though,” the hybrid said sourly. Gabriel had found three Equites-ranked coyotes murdered on the borders the other morning, their hirsute bodies ripped to pieces and covered with blood. Who else but a Dahlian?

Table thanks to Ithen!
<style>
.kae-gifturma2 {width:375px; background-color:#142a38; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/rp/kae/kae_gifturma.png);background-position: bottom; background-repeat: no-repeat; padding-bottom:210px; border: 1px solid #000103;font-family:georgia, serif; color:#FFFFFF; line-height: 13px; font-size: 12px; margin:0px; text-align:justify;}
.kae-gifturma2 b{color:#809189;}
.kae-gifturma2 p{text-indent:40px; padding:0px; margin:0px 10px 10px 10px; }
</style>
[/html]