Clearing Out the Cobwebs
[html]<style type="text/css">p{margin:0;padding:0;text-indent:40px;}</style>
http://i49.tinypic.com/122232d.jpg);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;width:500px;background-color:#C5B59B;text-align:justify;font-family:georgia;font-size:0.95em;line-height:1.4em;color:#233833;">

All welcome, and I'd like to get this done quickly for the tasks thingy Smile

Word Count: 423

Yumiko wiped her hand across her brow and smiled into the sunshine outside her den-cave. She'd spent the last half hour sweeping out her new den with a pine branch, clearing out the accumulative dust and dirt that she'd dragged in throughout only a week. It seemed fitting, being finally able to cast out the horrid winter she so despised and bring in the sunshine once again. After all, spring was the season of growth and renewal, and she had only just begun her new life here; what better way to declare she was starting her life anew then to do some good cleaning? It helped that she was proud of her cozy home, with its high ceiling, fence, shelves and small fireplace dug into the stone. She was only a stone's throw away from the river too, and the village was a pleasant walk away. She had found prime real estate, and wouldn't give it up for anything. It had been hard enough to find the place too, with the confusing forests and scarce tribe members.

She still had to go out and gather more soft pine needles and feathers for her sleeping corner, since she'd just swept it all out. It needed replacing anyway. She felt unusually clear-headed today, as if the coming Spring had given her very spirit a boost. She'd needed it. With a stretch that cracked her spine, she headed out the small cave entrance, threw away the branch/broom, and stepped through the gap in her fence that both held back snow and marked the cave as her's. The forest was calm that day, and the snow pure despite the trampled markings her paws left behind. She headed towards the same place she'd found several feathers last time, beneath a large oak tree with hundreds of nesting birds in its branches. It was a surrealistic sight, all those birds amongst the ice-coated branches, huddling for warmth yet dropping the very thing that kept their heat. She dropped to her knees despite the snow and gathered up several dozen downy feathers in her arms. They would keep her dry and warm tonight, and for many nights to come. She hummed a tune to fill the air, and a few birds joined in as if just to make her smile. It was a good day, the sun at her back, no wind to speak of, clear snow, and music in the air. A rare thing after the bleak winter and her own past. Maybe it was a sign of change.

[/html]
[html]
ok Big Grin

The sun shone brightly down through the trees overhead, bringing out the brown highlights in her dark fur. The wolf was dressed as she normally was, her long black cloak covering her almost completely, keeping the chilly wind out. Her weapon of choice, a longsword, hung around a belt on her waist. Alongside it was an axe and a small dagger, two weapons that she was still learning how to use.

She had left her small shadow behind at the den on this day, the white pup left napping in the pile of furs that served as their bed. The winters were harsh, and there were nights when a fire would simply not stay lit in their cozy den. She dared not let the flames grow any bigger lest they lick at the hangings on the walls of her home. Ember was planning on expanding the den, but hadn't quite gotten around to it yet. The AniWayan had never imagined that caring for Lotus would take as much energy as it did; nowadays by the time she returned to the furs to sleep she was completely exhausted.

The walls of her den had no shelves for the most part with the exception of the very back storage room. Ember had lined the walls of this den with bricks and stones to try and give it more stability during storms and rainfall. She had dug it in between the roots of a large tree that sat halfway down one of the larger hills of the tribelands so that rainwater would run down the hill and not inside of her den. The tall, darkly furred luperci preferred this location to any other that she had looked over, as it was also near the stables where her horse Bayard lived.

Today the wolf had been fairly busy with her fishing pole. She had learned about fishing when she was younger and the skill had stuck with her to adulthood. It was something that one could do during any season; she'd just had to throw a big rock onto the ice to break through and reach the water. Now that her string was full of fish she figured that she might as well head back to the den to see if Lotus wanted to try any of it. He'd probably tell her that it was "icky", but she thought that she should try anyway.

""

[/html]
http://i49.tinypic.com/122232d.jpg);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;width:500px;background-color:#C5B59B;text-align:justify;font-family:georgia;font-size:0.95em;line-height:1.4em;color:#233833;">

Smile Thankees. Just a random conversation; I like piercings Tongue I figured you could reply, than I could have to go for whatever reason. Short and sweet <3 I'm assuming that's long enough to be a 'completed thread'

Word Count: 504

As the birds quieted down and a breeze blew snow into her face, Yumiko stopped wasting time and hurriedly finished gathering feathers. There was a lot more than the last time she was here, so she didn't need to gather any pine needles. Eventually she'd replace the annoying disposable bedding with soft furs, but in the meantime these were perfect when she was in her smallest form. She got to her feet and, walking carefully so as not to drop her load, she headed towards her nearby home. The trees glistened in the sunlight with the snow on every branch, and she smiled at the sight. Yumiko never thought winter was a pretty sight; she found the concept strange as one who grew up on a beachside cliff. She carefully put the feathers in the far corner of her den and spread them out with an absent paw, none too neatly since she'd disturb them come nighttime, anyway.

Yumiko paused, an ear twitching. She could hear the distinctive crunch that footfalls forging a new trail through snow made nearby. She stuck her head out of the small entrance, and saw a dark she-wolf in a black cloak, and carrying a string of fish. She blinked. What were they doing all the way out here? She practically smacked herself in the head as she realised that, duh, they had been fishing. The wolf was far above her in rank, so it wouldn't hurt to be friendly, at least. She stepped from her hiding place, behind the short log fence surrounding her den, and raised a hand in greeting.

"Hello there!" She called out softly despite her voice echoing slightly amongst the caves and icy trees. "Good catch, for the season. I'm Yumiko, may I ask your name?" She smiled sweetly and took a few steps nearer the other wolf, and only than noticed her many piercings throughout her face. She blinked. Never before had she seen such markings, but she'd lived a sheltered life. Perhaps it was normal here. In fact, she rather liked it. After all she already had a small hoop in her own ear, but that was small and unnoticable. This stranger's piercings made a statement of a different sort, that showed her wild nature. Perhaps it was just a facade though, and they were actually very sweet with a tough face. Yumiko's paws trembled slightly, too quick to be noticible unless looked for, as she realised maybe this wolf was more dangerous than they had first appeared. "Those are beautiful. How did you get them done?"

Her own hoop was put in when she was very young, and she'd never thought to ask how it was done. It was probably far more painful than she remembered, and would like to know in advance before wandering off and getting somethign done herself. Around the two wolves the trampled snow glinted slightly, and another breeze passed by and blew up some of the drifts; it seemed a storm might be on its way.

[/html]
[html]
Heh, you do want it really quick ^^; that's fine by me. :3 We could have another thread sometime if you want!

She tried to stay ahead of the weather when she could, collecting things to prepare for the seasons as they came. This was her second spring in AniWaya, having been one of its founding members. Ember had always been more of nomadic wolf before ending up in AniWaya, moving from pack to pack to pack. She had finally found her place with this group and its strong, kind-hearted leader. She would follow him wherever he went.

The wolf was used to walking through AniWaya in relative silence; she almost never came across somebody else while she was out wandering. The sound of another voice startled her out of her thoughts and her eyes immediately went to the one thing that stood out amongst the foliage. A wolven shape. She raised her free hand in greeting, a warm smile gracing her normally serious face. "Hullo! Thanks. I haven't met ye before...but then, I don't often run across others when I go along this path. Are you new to the tribe? Ah, yeh..m'name, too. I'm Ember, Ember Phoenix. I'm the Chief's right hand man. Er...gal."

She laughed a little at her own words, shaking her head. "And these? I don't think about 'em much any more, now that they're healed. But I got 'em from a wandering creature. I never asked exactly what he was, not wantin' to be rude, but he was some kind of canine. His name was Cotl, I think. But he used a big needle and shoved it through the skin, then shoved these in through afterward."

[/html]

Eh heh, it's nothing personal I just want to win that monthly-prize-thing >Big Grin I'd love to thread again with you once this is over, since I usually prefer far longer threads :3 I suppose Lotus is lonely at home, all on his lonesome *puppy dog eyes/evil grin at thought of March prize thing. What? I want to win something while I'm at 'Souls*

Word Count:

As the other wolf introduced herself as the 'Chief's right hand-gal', she couldn't help but stare a little. She had sensed authority as all wolves could, but didn't realise it was that much. She would make sure to remember Ember ((Eh heh rhyme)). After all, who knew when such a connection might come in handy to promote her own status. Not that she thought only about status or anything, but it was still in the back of every sane wolf's mind to get as high up the totem pole as they could climb. Unless they fell. But that was a different story.

"Eh, yeah, I'm new here. Relatively. I've only been around about a month, or so." She smiled rather sarcastically but not at Ember, just at life in general. "I'm obviously not as lucky as some, rank-wise. Hopefully that will change. Speaking of which, I guess I might as well as you something; I'm pretty darn good with all things healing if I do say so myself, and was hoping to become an Ookah." Yumiko looked at her feet and kicked the snow, embaressed.

As Ember talked about her piercings Yumiko grimaced in sympathetic pain. "That must have hurt. I doubt I could go through with it." She said honestly, her tail swishing behind her gently. She hoped to get back to her task soon despite meeting such a kind wolf; far kinder than she had once thought Alphas and those close to them could get. Dawali had proven her wrong, and now Ember seemed insistant in keeping up her streak of misjudgments. Pointing towards the string of fish flung over one shoulder, she said, "I guess you should be getting those home. Don't want them to spoil out in the sun." She grinned. "It's a good thing there's no heat, too," she said quite sarcastically. After all, she was a beach and heat loving creature. Why oh why did it have to be Winter still?

[/html]
[html]

Ember was not used to such friendliness from a stranger, but it wasn't a bad thing at all. She should have known that members of the tribe would be more friendly toward her than other members due to her place in the tribe as well. Ember hadn't met too many of the newer tribesmembers, only strangers from outside the lands lately...so this was very nice indeed. The smile stayed on her face as she listened to the female's response. "A healer? That sounds familiar...Hehe. My sister does some healin'. Or did. I dunno if she does it any more. If you feel like goin' down to Phoenix Valley I bet she could give you some tips"

She was the only wolf besides Dawali that Ember knew to be a good healer...and she was trying not to think of the orange wolf as hard as she could. Yumiko mentioned that she thought that the piercings would hurt and Ember shrugged. They had, but she'd felt much much worse in her years. The girl was only two years old, but she'd had enough injuries to last a lifetime. "It sure didn't feel nice, kind of a pinching feelin'. But then, I've had a broken arm..and I've had big ol' hunks of flesh ripped outta me. This wasn't too bad." She rubbed her scarred collarbone absently. She'd been badly injured in her fight with Hybrid, the male taking a chunk out of her chest, and her sister Firefly had been the one to break the arm.

Yumiko spoke of the fish and Ember lifted the line off her shoulder to hold them up in the air, showing them off. "I'm rather enjoyin' talking to you, actually...do you want to do dinner sometime? I could give you some directions to where the Valley pack is and help you out with some healin' stuff that I know. My knowlege is pretty basic though"

[/html]

Word Count: 566

As Ember mentioned her sister from Phoenix Valley, Yumiko couldn't help but smile wider. The thought of meeting someone who could teach her more, or at least different, techniques would be of great help for her advancement through the pack. She would have to remember to find this wolf later on, and speak with them about healing. It seemed a good way to spend a night. "That sounds perfect. If I have the time to spare, then sometime I'll head down there. Thanks."Her voice was more energetic than usual, and rang of honesty.

Her mother had been a very skilled healer from years and years of practice, but only had a few months to teach Yumiko her skills before she passed away. Keeping her mind away from the subject, she instead stared intently at the fish draped over Ember's shoulder. Flies were beginning to gather around the meat, although far fewer then in the warmer months. Thankfully the darker wolf's every movement was enough to send them buzzing around for several long seconds and they barely stayed in contact with the fish for long. She lifted her eyes back to Ember's when she spoke, and she was rather shocked at the blatent way she described being hurt so many times. "You've had a hard life, I can see. I've only ever had one bad injury..." she said while rubbing the scar on her snout absently. Apart from the past few months, and that one night, she'd been incredibly fortunate up to this point. She had a close family, a loving sister, and plenty of prey. The only hardship she had ever faced was what gave her the prominant scar across her snout, when a wild bear attacked her in the forest before she was old enough to even shift.

She shook her head slightly to clear her mind and as she spoke of the fish and Ember replied, Ember lifted them up with subconcious pride. Yumiko's eyes smiled and she nodded, giving a silent approval of the haul. She herself was never one to fish, preferring to hunt her prey in the forests with her natural speed on her side. She was very surprised by the sincerity of Ember's request. She stammered a little, for even though she was a naturally friendly person it was rare for the feeling to be returned so readily. "Th-that sounds great!" she blurted before she could think, then Yumiko paused and let her voice return to its normal, calmer tone. "I mean, it's been really interesting speaking with you too. I'd love some directions, since I certainly don't know where that place is.... oh, and trust me; there's no right way, or basics, in healing. There's thousands of ways to do every little thing, and I'd love to hear your take on techniques." She grinned widely, then looked back with a droop in her tail at her den she'd been working on earlier. "I guess I should get back to work. Drop by sometime, and I can make us something."

She paused and gazed at the dark female out of the corner of an eye. "Feel free to bring someone else too, if you like." After all, for all she knew the woman had 5 kids and a mate at home. If she wanted to, bringing someone along for dinner would just let her get to know her even better.

[/html]
[html]
We should totally have another thread Smile Maybe with Ember and Lotus and Yumiko? ^___^ if Lotus' player is up for that as well.

She was glad that she had been able to offer some useful information to this friendly female and nodded. Naniko was an odd wolf in Ember's eyes, with the white woman's interest in the same sex, and she had made some mistakes in her life, but who hadn't? She would still send people Naniko's way if they wanted to know things about healing. It had been Naniko that had helped Ember recover many times...and she had healed Cercelee, when the old Dahlian leader had been around. The older wolf had also healed Ember's father once...she had made his pneumonia go away. At least for a while.

"A hard life made harder by m'own hard-headedness." She said, shaking her head. "I was a stubborn one, no doubt about it. But I like ta think I've mellowed out over the years." She gave a wide grin. Ember had gone from thinking of herself as a victim and thinking of herself as a weakling to a strong AniWayan warrior. A leader, even. She could barely believe that she was doing such things some days.

She received an enthusiastic response to her invitation and she bounced a little on the heels of her feet. She hadn't extended many invitations for social gatherings in the past, so this would be new to her as well...but it was a good thing indeed. She gave another nod to Yumiko when the wolf spoke of getting her work done, hefting the fish back up over her shoulder again. "I'll make sure ta get a hold of ya after a while. I'm not sure who I'd bring, but who knows!" The dark wolf took a few steps back before giving the other a wave of her hand, "I'll drop by soon!",turning to head back toward her den.

[/html]

>w< Yeaaaah! That would be wicked. I believe Yumiko met Lotus briefly before this thread, in another fail thread that.... failed... but let's just say they saw each other for like, ten minutes. <3

Word Count: 179

As Ember agreed to Yumiko's dinner 'plans', she couldn't help but wag her tail joyfully. Sure, she'd talked to a few wolves here and there, and even made a young friend from another pack. She hadn't, however, actually had a planned meeting with another in months. She had never really had someone to call a 'friend' since joining this pack and now two were coming over to dinner soon! Yumiko's mind and heart were reeling, and she did her best to keep a stupid grin off her face (despite sneaking suspicions it was blatantly obvious anyway).

"Definately keep in touch!" she said with a wave of her slender fingers, "I'll talk to you later!" With that, Ember turned to head back to her den, fish still waggling behind her. Yumiko followed suit and headed the few feet towards her very own cave and, with a sigh, propped the fallen broom-branch back up on the wall and prepared herself for a long time of gathering feathers. She really should get some furs soon for her floor; all in good time.

COMPLETETH Big Grin

[/html]