If it has made you colder
[html]

Whooh! Set a little way east of Occasus Promontorium. Tayui is in her lupus form. (542)

It was inevitable that she would return here. Even after Naniko and Theodore’s warnings, she had somehow scoffed to think that Inferni was spying on them. She had never had any problems with Inferni during her tenure as leader of Shadowed Sun. She had admonished her fellow AniWayans when they feared a random attack from Inferni during the Second Dahlian War. She and Gabriel had come to an agreement years ago and even now, they had agreed on some things. He didn’t know that Haku had been both father and murderer to her children, but he knew of the grief that monster had caused her. She was not in debt to Gabriel for killing Haku since Gabriel didn’t think of it the same way Tayui did. But Gabriel understood something about Tayui that she feared she never would. He had warned her that becoming the monster she wanted to be would corrupt her, and she had claimed that if she could not seek the blood of Haku’s children, then she would have to become a monster. She didn’t know what it was, but she couldn’t keep away from Inferni anymore. Anathema might be her home now, but it didn’t feel like it. She had met very few fellow packmembers and her son had disappeared again. She didn’t know what the fuck to do, so she retraced her steps across the mountainside back to the clan. She wanted to find Kaena, but she knew she was too selfish to hope for that. She grimaced, lingering indecisively. She could see the forest beyond the mountain that encircled part of the clanlands, but she didn’t want to get too close. While she respected Kaena and Gabriel, she knew they had a few other characters in there. She had met one before – Ember had decided to die and gotten in a fight with a hideous coyote. Tayui could remember his blood red eyes, but little else. He had been a monster. He was what she would strive to become.

She sighed, wondering for the hundredth time if this had been a good idea. She had no political power now – she was some lowly member of Anathema and didn’t really have anyone to vouch for her. She and Dawali had been close; when Ember had become a sub-leader, Tayui had the support of the leadership. But now? She knew Naniko vaguely, but didn’t have the same sort of security she had in AniWaya. She didn’t know what she wanted to do. She closed her eyes for a moment and then re-opened them, but nothing had changed. She was still here and Inferni was still down the mountain. She hated feeling so lost and she hated how she thought she’d find her answers in a coyote clan. She had never understood Fatin’s interest in the clan until now. They held too many secrets and too many possibilities and she was too curious.

Another sigh. She stood up and began to descend down the side of the mountain, heading south. She didn’t know where to go and she was beginning to miss AniWaya. She had not accomplished anything in her time in this mountain pack. It was just another failed attempt to nurture something that could not be nurtured.

<style>
.tayui-lgth .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:0.95em}
.tayui-lgth p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.tayui-lgth b {color:#061C3D; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.tayui-lgth {background-color:#000e23; background-image:url(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... s/tay2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.tayui-lgth-border {width:400px; border:1px solid #ffffff; margin:0 auto;}
.tayui-lgth .inner { margin:10px 10px 90px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.kesho1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#162438; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.kesho1 p {text-indent:25px;padding:5px 10px;margin:0px;}
.kesho1 {width:400px;border:1px solid #3e4048;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... /kesho.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:195px;background-color:#919cb0;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#3e4048;}
</style>

AIN'T NO REST FOR THE WICKED. DERP. <3 <3 WC: 602

Tonight, Kesho was tired. The recent frigid temperatures had kept his bones feeling less than comfortable, and so he often walked in Optime. This time, though, he'd felt even too tired to bother shifting, feeling that the energy loss from transforming might just force him to sleep for a few solid hours. And that wouldn't do; he needed that time. If he slept, and someone came in the night, would he wake up? Kesho always felt it better to be safe, and so he preferred to rest for short periods. As they said, the wicked rarely slept.

All that was to say, the old man didn't really want to be out here, tracing the borders looking for things that likely wouldn't come. But they might. And if they did, he would be there. Even now.

Every limb felt exhausted, achy, and simply old. Kesho hated feeling old. Grumpily, he slowed his speed to a more comfortably pace and let out a heavy sigh, his breath a misty cloud before crimson eyes.

What was that, in the distance? His eyes narrowed, once again picking up his pace, but only slightly. Some white figure, in the nearby distance, approaching Inferni borders. Their pace seemed leisurely, almost cautious; not the behavior of an enemy, unless their tactics had changed. It was with equal curiosity, and a heavy dose of fatigue that he approached what looked to be a female's figure. A opalescent phantom, glowing amidst a misty night. Something about her make his skin tingle and crawl, once-pleasant memories flashing across his mind's eye. The old man's brows furrowed, annoyed at this late-night disturbance. The Hydra hoped this would not be an long task to deal with.

As he grew closer, the cold breeze managed to carry a whiff of her scent. Immediately, he became more aware. She smelled vaguely of Anathema, but also something else. Something familiar, but something that he didn't know anything of. Accompanied by a distinct but low growl, the rust-colored man approached and stopped several yards away from the woman, staring out from the borders, his body wound betwixt hollow, decayed remains; memories of war, punishment, and justice. They were trophies.

Kesho's hackles remained raised, head lowered but ears alert. Even at this distance, she seemed to bare no sign of ill will. But that hasn't stopped you before, Kesho... hissed a voice at the back of his mind. Thoughts flashed to his scuffle with that russet and red brute, that cowardly wolf. But, no, it was his duty to protect these borders, and that was what he would do.

"Why are you here?" he shouted, gruff voice projecting a vigor and sense of strength that he currently lacked, punctuated by a snarl. His limbs ached; they begged not to be put to work. The Hydra, assuming the woman's lack of desire for confrontation, hoped that this simple display would be enough to get her on her way out of here. It wasn't usually that easy, though. But then again, why would this pretty, lone wolfess be here, alone, now, if she wanted to fight. Who would come alone? Suddenly, Kesho feared that Inferni lacked the respect it once had, and frowned at the thought.

"This is Inferni." he growled the simple words, red eyes peering out, trying to catch her own under the light of the moon. "You reek of Anathema." the Hydra added, yellowing teeth bared, nose upturned as if the smell truly offended him. But still, there was something else to it...

[/html]
[html]

(356)

She had not expected anyone would find her, so the sudden shout in the dark surprised her and made her jump. Her heart raced and she whirled around to see a coyote standing a few metres away. She had always known that other vicious creatures stalked the borders of Inferni, but had never honestly expected she would encounter them. She knew Kaena and Gabriel, so she hoped she could drop their names and weasel her way out of this fiasco without getting hurt.

He demanded an explanation and Tayui froze. His voice was strong and tired simultaneously, but she could see he was ready for a fight. He snarled and Tayui fought her instinct to snarl back. She felt her lip twitch in response, but curbed the desire to snarl back and exert her dominance. She also had the instinct to know that as a non-member of the clan, she was no better than a lowly omega. This knowledge was so ingrained in her that she hardly though about it and instead ducked her head low, showing she meant no harm.

“I was going to try and talk to Kaena, but decided against it. I decided to turn around. I mean you no harm,” she explained with a shake of her head. She knew that this battle-torn warrior would destroy her in moments regardless of her minimal fighting experience.

She did, however, have to chuckle when he noted that it was Inferni. “I know,” she replied dryly, trying not to laugh and cower in fear at the same time. He was pulling off the imposing look quite well. “But I hardly reek,” she added distastefully. She didn’t know about the rest of Anathema, but all of the posturing Theodore had done seemed quite unnecessary. She was curious to hear Inferni’s side of the story with the trespassing coyote, but supposed there wasn’t much to ask. He had trespassed so they had treated him like any other: they killed him due to a border breach. She supposed it was a rather draconian response, but nonetheless, it was legitimate. Inferni did the same too – she knew that well.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
.ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;}
.kesho1 {width:400px;border:1px solid #3e4048;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... /kesho.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:195px;background-color:#919cb0;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#3e4048;}
</style>

Ohman. Ilu. Also, sorry, I didn't realize she was facing away from him. >< WC: 359

Thankfully, the woman seemed rightfully intimidated by Kesho's brief display, and she acted accordingly. His assumption had been correct, and she seemed just as keen to avoid serious confrontation at this hour as the Hydra was. The woman lowered her head in some sort of submission, and the russet man relaxed his own tense muscles slightly.

“I was going to try and talk to Kaena, but decided against it. I decided to turn around. I mean you no harm,” the ivory woman explained to him with a shake of her head.

A single, large ear twitched at the mention of Kaena. This woman knew the Lykoi queen? His interest was piqued, but his guard would not be let down so easily, no matter her intentions. Kesho did, however, take a few steps forward, out from behind the borderline. His aging body was thankful for the reprieve; he did not want to fight tonight.

"You know Kaena." he stated simply. "You came all the way here only to turn around? Why? Seems a bit useless, don't you think?" he scoffed, touting her for her lack of planning, or perhaps her lack of bravery. Maybe he just wanted something to poke fun at her for, to keep up appearances or whatever. Then, he demanded, "Who are you?"

Why was he even bothering to talk to this woman? Did she really deserve his attention? Of course she doesn't deserve your attention, you wailing idiot. She's a wolf, a wolf! Remember! The enemy... came Bael's hiss in the back of his mind. Kesho could suppress him for now, but if he let his lethargy take over any further, he might lack the strength. With a brief shake of his head, his dark crimson eyes rose to meet hers briefly; one sky blue and one a dull red. He remembered his vow to be more accepting, like Gabriel, and though it nearly pained him, he would try. After all, she was in no way aggressive, yet.

"I know," she said, chuckling briefly. If she knew Kaena, of course she knew this place. Then, with distinct disfavor, she added: "but I hardly reek."

Though he wouldn't admit it, she was right. The woman did smell distinctly of Anathema, but it was not the only scent that she carried.

[/html]
[html]

Well, then I feel inclined to let you know that ilu2! :] Also, no worries. It was kind of ambiguous with her descending down the mountain.

Although she was not moving very quickly already, all movements stopped once the coyote moved closer. She hoped she had not set him off with her last comment. It hadn’t been disrespectful; though, she could see how he would take offense to her correcting him. She didn’t know the mannerisms of the coyotes here and still was rather wary of Kaena and Gabriel especially. She didn’t know enough about either of them to trust that they would be on her side. She didn’t know them well enough to say anything for certain really.

She nodded when he repeated Kaena’s name. She said nothing in response, not wanting to say something she would regret. When he spoke again, she was surprised: she didn’t expect that he would pick out those details from the others she had mentioned. Wasn’t he curious how he knew Kaena? Or why she had thought it necessary to visit the matriarch at such an ungodly hour? She supposed wondering why he did not ask these questions was less important than answering the ones at hand, and so she turned her attention to more useful matters.

“Tayui Aston. By the time I got here, I realized all I needed was a walk. I don’t need to go bothering leaders of other clans at midnight after all,” she replied evenly. “It was a little selfish of me to think of it in the first place.” She shrugged and took a chance: “But now that I'm here... well, I never used to be an insomniac. It's hard to sleep. I've got too much energy.” She shook her head quickly and then tilted her head and offered a strange, bittersweet smile.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

Kesho is awkward. WC: 472

The woman was obviously frightened of him, her movements ceasing the moment his began. And why shouldn't she be? Kesho felt better, knowing that at least some of that old Inferni fear still lingered in some. With a slight smirk, he stopped advancing now, choosing to watch the ivory wolfess silently instead. She seemed surprised by his words, as if it was odd of him to ask those questions. Maybe it was odd. Something about her kept him there, where normally he might have fled. Though she seemed somewhat eager to be getting back, and maybe he should just let her go.

“Tayui Aston. By the time I got here, I realized all I needed was a walk. I don’t need to go bothering leaders of other clans at midnight after all,” she explained, obviously trying to keep herself out of trouble.

Besides his own fatigue, he had not really thought about the time, or whether it was strange or not for someone to show up here so late. After all, the hours he kept were odd, and he knew he wasn't the only one. Perhaps Hybrid was probably among the few who rarely slept, or the few who preferred to prowl at night.

Then, oddly, she added: “But now that I'm here... well, I never used to be an insomniac. It's hard to sleep. I've got too much energy.”

The man raised his eyebrows slightly, mild interest falling across his face. An insomniac? By her description, maybe he had it, too. As quickly as they had raised, his eyebrows furrowed in thought. The Hydra raised his dark eyes to her, watching as very small smile fell across her face. Quickly he cleared his throat and avoided her gaze. Wolves never smiled at him, and to see it on her mouth felt, for some reason, very strange. Something was almost familiar about this white creature.

"I guess so, walking so far for no good reason." he muttered, pausing as a breeze rolled past, an ear twitching and nose raising to catch any other foreign scents that might be lurking. "I don't sleep much either." he said roughly, his voice carrying little emotion. He didn't really care that he didn't sleep much; he had a job to do, after all. But was he even doing it now?

"I'm Kesho." he offered vaguely, feeling somewhat awkward standing here to a woman who should be his enemy, but whom he was forcing himself to have proper conversation with. And why? So that Gabriel would like him? Well, maybe. Maybe he really did want to change... You'll never change so long as I'm around! Bael's voice cackled back, interrupting his momentarily positive thoughts.

"How..." he cleared his throat again, though it never sounded any less rough: "Er, how do you know Kaena?" he asked in a horrible attempt to make conversation. Man, he was bad at this stuff.

Kesho had to remember that the clan was different now. It was more accepting, more tolerant. But he couldn't help but harbor hostility; it was embedded in him, after all.

[/html]
[html]

Tayui is a BAMF; maybe she can teach Kesho 8D Also, I never realized how many threads I'd had with Gabe and Kae until I started digging through my archives. XD (471).

He did not really respond until her last comment. Finally: a reaction. She had been holding her breath, waiting to see if this old warrior would suddenly remind her where scars came from and leap into battle. Tayui was no seasoned veteran, so she could only hope that this meeting would remain cordial. Once he raised his eyebrows, she let out a tiny breath she had been holding. He looked interested now, with his ears perked forward and his body facing her. Quickly, the expression changed and he frowned and looked away. She wasn’t sure what she had done to cause such an interesting – and somewhat concerning – response, but she hoped it was not a bad thing. She really did not need any enemies. Not yet at least – she still had a long way to go before she could start making enemies.

When he spoke, it wasn’t quite what she was expecting. He seemed uncertain about something (her?) but she couldn’t put her paw on it. He quickly revealed that he didn’t have a very easy time sleeping, to which she just nodded. She accepted his words readily, but did not comment. She understood now how difficult sleep could be even after it used to come so easily.

He introduced himself as Kesho and Tayui nodded again. “It’s nice to meet you, Kesho,” she replied. Certainly, she would say that to anyone friendly and anyone who could easily kill her – better to make friends, right? She drifted off for a moment thinking about this when Kesho spoke again, reeling her back in to the conversation. She blinked as she heard him scramble for words and then pose a question. This time, she raised her brow in response and perked her ears forward, curious to know why he wanted to know.

“I met her first years ago, before the fire. We were both leaders at the time – she of Inferni and I of Jaded Shadows alongside another wolf. Inferni attacked a neighbouring pack and I wanted to ask why. I was horribly curious and I’m surprised she didn’t just do away with me then. But she didn’t and I remembered it. So after the fire, I started a new pack in the same area where Anathema now is. During the First Dahlian War, I found Gabriel and pronounced my pack to be neutral to the whole conflict. After that pack fell, I left and found a new home. Some things happened, but I found my way back here and met with Kaena a few more times. We talked about the Second Dahlian War and I guess we helped each other through some rough spots.” She paused. “I don’t know if we’re friends, but I respect her. And Gabriel. They’re certainly something. They’ve both helped me in different ways.” She owed them – something.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

Blaaahhh!! >> lol. WC: 389

“It’s nice to meet you, Kesho,” Tayui said, her manners impeccable despite the surely bad impression Kesho had made on her.

The Hydra shifted slightly uncomfortably; he was not used to being treated with such polite words by wolves. It made him feel uneasy, in a way that he wasn't entirely sure about; maybe it was a good feeling.

The ivory Anathema woman began her story, and Kesho's eyes narrowed in suspicion. It seemed she had been here nearly as long ago as he had. And if that were true, why had they not met before? Of course he knew; back then, he would have done as he normally had, and attacked on sight. He shook his head vaguely, mostly to himself. The Hydra felt awkward standing here, bothering to listen to this Tayui woman speak. His brain itched, thoughts battling constantly as he forced himself to remain calm, remember the words he and Gabriel had exchanged. Even Kaena was more tolerant, now. He wondered if it might not do him some good to make a few friends outside of the clan. But, then again, why? Did it really matter? Wasn't the clan all that mattered?

"I lived in Inferni in the years before the fire. I also left before it happened." he grunted in short form. Even as he spoke, his body tensed; his mind was discomforted by her mere presence. Kesho sighed heavily, adding: "I don't remember you." But of course he didn't.

The woman spoke highly of Kaena, and he couldn't help but feel a swelling of pride, of something akin to gratitude for Tayui's praise. A wolf's praise. An Anathema wolf's praise. Instantly he wondered why she was there. She didn't seem like she belonged to such a ruthless anarchist group. But then... he didn't know her at all.

"Kaena is a remarkable woman." he said, unable to contain his admiration for the Centurion. "I don't know much of Gabriel, but he seems noteworthy." he paused for a moment, red eyes sweeping over here again. She seemed awfully curious, so he wondered aloud: "I don't see many wolves so curious about coyotes as you. Why?" Kesho's large ears rotated and twitched as the wind rustled through the trees once more. What was she here for, really, anyways?

[/html]
[html]

Gah this got long U__U (515)

When Kesho revealed that he was a long time member of Inferni, Tayui nodded quietly to take this information in. While many of the wolf packs had broken apart and reformed, she supposed it made sense that Inferni – the only pack that managed to survive the fire – would have a few returning members. She supposed they had some sort of higher retention rate that brought the old members back. That was only possible if a pack continued to exist; if anyone tried to return to Shadowed Sun, they would be in for a sore shock. Anathema was nothing like the old mountain pack, but Inferni had weathered the storm. It was certainly an accomplishment.

She gave Kesho a polite shrug when he added, I don’t remember you. It was hardly surprising – she had not ventured forth to Inferni until the war with Syemv and she suspected he might have left the clan by that point. They were just in different places at different times, so it was bound to happen. Of course, she had met him now and that more than made up for it.

Kesho commented on Kaena and Tayui could not suppress a bubbly little smile. “Oh yes,” she agreed quickly. She very much liked the older woman, but was still baffled about her falling out with her daughter. “Gabriel is quite the man, too.” She didn’t want to say any more about their relationship; they understood one another in strange ways, but she liked it. She would like to one day be able to call the stern Aquila a friend. Kesho’s question halted these thoughts rather suddenly. Just as soon as she had mused about the leaders, now, she was on another track. She frowned slightly, pondering the question in concentration.

“I suppose because it’s easier to pretend you aren’t curious,” she began slowly. “It’s easy to live in ignorance and create truths. You don’t need to research or analyze the facts – you just make them up. And if you were to find out that your truths were all wrong, well, some just can’t handle that. It’s a shame – ignorance is the rule many times.” She cracked a smile at this thought and then added, “that was what I wanted to avoid with my last pack. My friend and I created it to teach and help others reach their potential. It wasn’t so much a pack as it was a collection of academics.” She had read that word in her books before, but had never used it until now. Using a new word was a wonderful feeling. “We didn’t really enforce our borders since we’d share our knowledge with whomever asked. And that’s how I got to know Gabriel. I just asked.” It seemed simple, but it really wasn’t. So few wolves could venture forth beyond their packlands and wonder what lay beyond. Sure, Tayui had lived in these parts for most of her life, but she was content living here. She had seen other parts and settled here. It had become her home. And she didn’t regret any of her decisions.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

Yay for Kesho's inner turmoil! Big Grin WC: 413

At Kesho's words of Kaena, Tayui had managed a distinct and honest smile. Though he knew it wasn't directed towards him, Kesho still felt that ball of awkward tension sitting in his chest. He had felt the warmth of someone's company with Talitha; she had treated him fondly and no differently than anyone else, despite his age. Could he find that again? To Kesho, he was a washed up old man with little future, and certainly no possibility for romance. Who would love him? Red eyes peered into Tayui's bi-colored ones with wonder, but his expression remained rather lacking. He was a fool to even consider this...enemy in that way.

Her expression changed as he demanded answers from her, and she launched into a string of words that Kesho hadn't prepared for. Every accusation, every admonition of ignorance, of intolerance, stung him deeply. This is what Gabriel meant, what Kaena meant. He suddenly felt terribly out of place, and it took every ounce of self control inside of him not to bolt from the spot, feeling worthless, uncapable of change, unable to look past appearances. Was this what he had become? Don't listen to that garbage! Bael screamed as it became clear that Kesho was considering her words, She speaks lies, she's deceiving you! Don't let her convince you. You're a demon, after all. Must he believe that? He could not be sure, but he supposed had always been this way, really. A racist beast who was controlled by anger, hatred, by the ferocity of his past. Controlled by Bael, tempted, teased, forced into blinding rage. But what more could he be?

Kesho sat. He could not think of words to say as his mind broke apart her words, each fragment echoing through his thoughts. He felt intense defeat and sudden, heartbreaking sadness at his pathetic life. Maybe Bael would finally win, this time.

"I...I can't..." he began, but failed again to find words. Sighing with frustration, he forced himself to speak. "Everything that you said..." he choked out gruffly, "is the opposite of what I know."

The Hydra was lost, and didn't know how to be found. Did he want to try? Did he really want to?

"I don't know. Maybe I should go..." he said awkwardly, turning his head with a paw raised hesitantly, crimson eyes seeking solace in the darkness. Who would help him now?

[/html]
[html]

<3 inner turmoil! (461)

Tayui was quiet as Kesho considered her words. She did not want to interrupt his thoughts, since she – of anyone – would know how important it was to develop one’s thoughts. She had spent the first two years of her life daydreaming and thinking, so she could appreciate when another needed to do the same. She’d never judge anyone for spending too much time with their head in the clouds since she had been that wolf only a few short years ago. Even as he pondered, she tried to guess at what he was thinking. He had a very blank and neutral expression, so she wasn’t quite sure how to take it. She just hoped he did not take it the wrong way or take it poorly – she didn’t want to be making enemies with Inferni coyotes in the middle of the night.

She raised her brows when he began to speak and leaned in closer to hear his quiet response. It was halting at first, but soon he found his words. Tayui frowned when he revealed that everything she had said contrasted what he knew. She hoped she had not shocked him too terribly; while she had not thought he would be one of the ignorant fools she so horribly bemoaned, she supposed it was certainly possible. She realized she had not been careful enough with her words: she had assumed that since he had asked, he would understand. She hadn’t even considered the possibility that she might not think the same way Gabriel, Kaena, or she thought.

“I don’t think you need to go,” she replied quickly. “If you’re doubting yourself, know that you asked me first. You’ve already tried to learn more and that’s quite noble. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings; it certainly wasn’t my intention. They were just some observations I’ve made over the years.” She did hope her words would sooth the wounds she had created. She just didn’t want to make an enemy out of this battle-worn coyote.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

<333 So much self-questioning. I think this is a turning point. xD Feels weird, man. WC: 526

Why was he still standing there, like an idiot? Why not just leave, walk away, ignore this woman and not worry about what she said or how it might have affected him again? Something kept him there. Was it a desire to learn, a desire to prove himself wrong, a desire to be something more than what he'd been for so long, or something else?

Tayui spoke, her words an attempt to comfort and encourage him. They hardly helped.

“I don’t think you need to go,” said the creme-colored lady, offering gentle redirection, “If you’re doubting yourself, know that you asked me first. You’ve already tried to learn more and that’s quite noble. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings; it certainly wasn’t my intention. They were just some observations I’ve made over the years.”

"No, I...it's not you." he stammered, wondering why he was having so much trouble, now. Was he just that tired? Maybe he really did want to befriend this woman. Maybe it would give him some insight, too. But would he, could he accept it, believe it? Or would he just use it against her, in the end, as he was so prone to doing?

"Is that how everyone sees Inferni? A bunch of ignorant beasts that kill for fun?" he asked grimly, truly wondering; maybe that was really all he was.

The Hydra stood again with a heavy sigh, turning to pace in a deliberate but slow circle, clearly uncomfortable with himself. Crimson eyes found hers searchingly, wondering more about this calypso of a woman that had stumbled quite accidentally into his life. Did she really matter, or was it just the idea of her...her ideas?

The old man settled right back into the same spot he'd left, falling back to his haunches again, feeling deflated and still unworthy. Did he want to be like Hybrid, who had diluted his own personality with hatred and anger so much that it was all he knew? Well, Kesho had certainly been headed down that road. But that wasn't what he wanted. The old man, in his golden years, wanted to be able to have the luxury of friends, people he could count on. Surely he had that in the clan, but how many of them actually cared for him? Were they really friends? Besides Kaena, he was unsure. There had been a time when the clan was all he needed. Even now, he still believed that; but it wasn't working, he needed something else. Maybe this was it.

"You didn't...hurt my feelings," he said, a bit annoyed that it had been questioned. Really, though, she had caused a near crisis inside his head.

After a long pause, Kesho's voice rose again, now in an attempt to converse under the night sky, dark red eyes scanning the atmosphere, picking out what few constellations he knew. "Look, Orion is out with his dogs..." the Hydra offered coolly, struggling with his attempts to make idle conversation after his near-breakdown. What was he doing, talking about the stars. Oh, god. How would he ever make friends this way? What a pitiful attempt, Bael spat back, confirming his fears and making the Hydra swallow hard. That instinct to run was still so prevalent. One more wrong move and he would bolt; there was no sense in sticking around just to make an ass of himself.

[/html]
[html]

But that's always fun! C: (317)

And now he just looked uncomfortable. Tayui felt bad for calling him back and asking him to stay when he so obviously did not want to remain in her company any longer. She had not intended to attack his views and beliefs, but it had just happened that way. She felt bad and she felt her ears begin to droop. She flicked her ears forward again when he spoke, but let them fall back once she realized what he was asking. She shook her head and then paused. She didn’t need to lie to him.

“A little, yes. Just the ones that don’t know any Infernians personally, I guess.” She didn’t know how to say this delicately, and she knew if she tried to, she would just botch it all and make it sound worse or just speak in circles. She didn’t think she should soften her words for a battle-hardened warrior; hadn’t he seen worse in other canines at the height of a fight? Certainly, he had come to conclusions about the nature of many beasts and drawn his own conclusions, too. Was that so bad? Why all this guilt?

She was about to say more, but it seemed as though he was tired of this conversation. Tayui didn’t much mind either way – knowledge was neutral; you just applied your opinions and viewpoints after the fact. This wasn’t the most objective information – it was shaped and guided by her opinions, but she thought there was some truth in it: that everyone held their own opinions of others and sometimes there were wide-ranging stereotypes that characterized certain groups. It was inevitable, and once Kesho realized that, Tayui suspected he would feel less guilty as a coyote in Inferni.

“Hmm,” she replied as she cast her gaze skywards. “I don’t know much about the stars, unfortunately. Which one’s Orion?” Perhaps this conversation would be more to his liking.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
</style>

Lawl random knowledge. WC: 453

The ivory woman shook her head in response to Kesho's inquiry, but then she seemed to reconsider that gesture, interrupting it and saying: “A little, yes. Just the ones that don’t know any Infernians personally, I guess.”

The old Hydra's frown deepened, and he chose not to respond to this comment. They were right to hold that opinion, weren't they? After all, there were still some in Inferni that were that way. Kesho himself once was, and may still be. His mind still itched, fighting a constant inner battle. His aging morals held steady in his mind, though he fought them to flex with the changing times, and the changing clan. The graying coyote knew that while he might not be able to fully embrace these new standards, he would at least attempt to make himself a little more updated.

Crimson eyes had turned towards the stars now, preferring to get away from political issues for the moment. Kesho couldn't remember who exactly had taught him about the stars, but he had found it fascinating. It was true that he didn't know any massive amount of information about them, but he did know more than most. Some nights, they took him away for hours.

"Hmm,” she said, following his gaze, asking: “I don’t know much about the stars, unfortunately. Which one’s Orion?”

"It's..." he started, but quickly realized that it would be near impossible to point it out to her where he was. So, the Hydra stood and slowly, tentatively walked towards her, awkwardly seating himself next to her so that he might show her from her own view point. The old man was careful not to touch her, feeling his skin nearly itch from being so close at all. Kesho cleared his throat(though it did little to ease the roughness of his voice), and raised a paw in an attempt to point out the star. "You see that cluster of bright stars?" he began, "The brightest one is part of Canis Major, one of Orion's dogs. The other is directly to the right. Canis Minor." he gave a small chuckle. "Not very clever names..." he said, trailing off. With a shake of his head and the realization that he was dropping his guard, Kesho then added: "Anyways, Orion is directly above the two dogs. His torso is made of three smaller stars in a diagonal line."

Had he really just bothered to explain all of that? Either his standards for good company really were changing, or he was simply delirious from lack of sleep. Kesho couldn't say, though, that he wasn't enjoying himself, at least a little bit. It was certainly more entertaining than patrolling the borders for hours without any company; though now that he thought about it, maybe he should be getting back to doing that...

[/html]
[html]

WAHOO! Well, Tayui is impressed 8D (314)

Tayui tried not to frown in response when Kesho did, but couldn’t help furrowing her brow just a bit. She knew he would not like her answer, but that only meant he had some sort of dignity about him. He seemed a bit concerned about Inferni’s relations (or lack of them) with other packs, but at the same time, he seemed like he was a little torn about that. Tayui wasn’t quite sure what his opinion was, but given that he had not yet attacked her, she was going to hope that he was a decent sort of coyote. Nonetheless, she still felt a little bad for dishing out the dirt like that. She had known he wouldn’t like it, but she went on anyways. She had done this at first thinking he deserved the truth, but she knew she had also wanted to shock him.

But soon, the conversation shifted upwards. Tayui didn’t mind the change and she hoped this would make Kesho feel a little more comfortable. He spoke and then paused, but Tayui was already looking at the sky. She twitched when he moved closer, surprised he had come this close. She wondered if she should be more suspicious, but dismissed the thought. He wouldn’t really attack her, would he?
He pointed out the stars and named them, chuckling once. Tayui gave him a small smile even though she knew he wouldn’t be able to see it.

“Hmm,” Tayui mused in response. “I’m afraid all I see are dots. How can you always find the right ones? They all look so similar to me.” She knew this was because they were so far away, but sadly, her knowledge of these things was sparse. She hadn’t read about them in her books, so she knew nothing about them. Perhaps Kesho had inherited some knowledge about these celestial bodies she was unaware of.

[/html]
[html] <style type="text/css"> .kesho1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#162438; letter-spacing:1px; } .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;} .kesho1 p {text-indent:25px;padding:5px 10px;margin:0px;} .kesho1 {width:400px;border:1px solid #3e4048;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... /kesho.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:195px;background-color:#919cb0;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#3e4048;} </style>

Sorry about the wait! <3 WC: 308

It was weird, what he was feeling. He wasn't sure if he liked it, either. Really, he wasn't sure what he should like it. The old Hydra had to constantly remind himself that yes, it was alright to talk to... them. But it didn't feel right, not yet. And not to mention, Bael constantly hissed inside of his mind, trying to rot his impressions away, determined to cause quick decay to any positive relations outside of Inferni. No, maybe he shouldn't befriend her. Then she spoke, though, and still he stayed to listen. Still, his attention was drawn.

“Hmm,” she muttered, staring up, “I’m afraid all I see are dots. How can you always find the right ones? They all look so similar to me.”

With a vague chuckle, he nodded, leaning his body away from her a bit now as his eyes wandered. "Yeah," he said, "I thought that too, once."

The old coyote cleared his throat, crimson eyes staring out at the familiar landscape, feeling it luring him back. It was now that he patrolled these borders that he cherished so greatly, and it felt almost wrong to be skipping his duty, and especially to be passing the time with a wolf. The Hydra suppressed a slight shiver at the thought, at the hateful words being whispered in mind.

Kesho inhaled briefly, nearly speaking, but then stopping to consider his words for a moment. His head tilted to the right at a slight angle, eyes casting once more to the skies. "I suppose when you're alone, the stars are better friends to have than none," he said quietly, stealing a quick glance at her before turning his head upward once again. What did he have to lose by being honest with her? Kesho was too old now to harbor regrets.

[/html]
[html]

No worries! Smile This thread has been progressing at a nice speed so it's fiiine. <3 (421)

Tayui felt her ear twitch when Kesho chuckled and was surprised he was taking this so well. She had been incredibly forthright about how the rest of the wolves felt about Inferni, so she was surprised he hadn’t demanded she leave for her insolence, or whatever they used for reasons to make someone leave. Though, in the end, since she was so close to Inferni’s borders any request for her to leave was logical. But still, he entertained her questions and Tayui felt a great deal of gratitude for this. Even as an insomniac, Tayui’s curiosity was insatiable.

She laughed quietly in response when he admitted he too had thought the stars all looked alike as well. They all had to start off somewhere, she supposed. She glanced over to Kesho when he cleared his throat, expecting a longer explanation on how to tell the stars apart. When it didn’t come, Tayui gave him a questioning look, but said nothing. After a few moments and a tilt of his head, Kesho spoke again: I suppose when you’re alone, the stars are better friends to have than none.

Tayui was silent. She was a little shocked for a moment and couldn’t think of any way to reply. She certainly hadn’t expected an admission like that, but she recognized that she couldn’t laugh at his honesty. In fact, she could appreciate it very well.

“You’re right,” she agreed. “When I was younger, the sky was my best friend. I suppose I’d forgotten about it in my age, but they’re always there waiting for you to come back.” The eternal mourning lover. “It’s rather romantic. From the Romantic Era, that is. After humans learned how to control their environments with machines, they tried to do the same with art, and well… everything. And the Romantic Era was kind of a rebuttal against that. Why rationalize everything when you don’t need to? It’s fine just to enjoy it. Kind of like this.” She snuck a small smile at the coyote in the hopes that she hadn’t scared him off. She knew a lot of canines resented the humans for the destruction they’d caused and Tayui certainly knew first-hand of it. Only a few years after they’d built their water walls in Quebec, the trees had died and the fish weren’t good to eat. Her family had lived just east of those massive water blockades and heard about – or experienced – many of the terrors living near them. She just hoped Kesho wouldn’t mind her little aside.

[/html]
[html] <style type="text/css"> .kesho1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#162438; letter-spacing:1px; } .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;} .kesho1 p {text-indent:25px;padding:5px 10px;margin:0px;} .kesho1 {width:400px;border:1px solid #3e4048;background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/K ... /kesho.png);background-position:bottom center;background-repeat:no-repeat;padding-bottom:195px;background-color:#919cb0;text-align:justify;margin:10px;font-family:georgia, serif;font-size:11px;line-height:12px;color:#3e4048;} </style>

Big Grin He's all over the place, hurrr.

Kesho was aware of her confused glance, but ignored it. He said what he had wanted to say, after all. The old coyote became once again aware of the constant pull away from there, away from her. He still waged small battles in his mind, only barely remaining there, by sheer will power. It was fading, though; Kesho wasn't sure how much longer he could force his body to stay there. He needed to patrol, didn't he? If he didn't, who would? Hybrid would, he knew, but that was not enough, not really.

“You’re right,” she said.

Kesho grunted a reply, tuning in an out of her following words vaguely. Almost as quickly as he'd started talking to her, he'd regretted it. What had he gotten into with this? The Romantic Era? What's she on about, he thought. Trying to be polite, he gave a rough nod as she ended, hardly catching the slight compliment she'd given him. Was she enjoying his company? Rare. Strange.

"Right," he managed back with a slight grin.

What was wrong with him, that he couldn't just sit and enjoy someone's company? She's a wolf! Bael screamed. Kesho knew that, though. And still, there he was. It may have been for Kaena or for Gabriel, or somehow perhaps himself. But for one reason or another, he managed to stay, awkwardly glancing to the stars, not knowing now how to continue. He constantly planned a way out, should it go awry. For now, though, he would become violent.

[/html]
[html]

That's fiiine :{D

He offered a grunt in reply, but chose not to elaborate. Tayui wondered if he would say anything meaningful in reply. Had it been too much? Had she said too much? She supposed she had been lulled into some false sense of security once Kesho had opened up and mentioned the stars. She had almost forgotten all the hesitance he had displayed throughout the conversation, how her comments about ignorance seemed to have struck a chord. She didn’t like thinking this, but it seemed as though she had judged him too quickly and thought him to be more accepting than he actually was. She supposed she should have expected this: certainly, the horror stories of the vicious coyotes had to have some origin. While he didn’t have the air of a warrior, she supposed he had the scars to have been one. She must have mistaken his conflictedness for something softer.

Of course, he didn’t seem too pleased to hear that she was enjoying this, too. She liked living in the moment, but that comment seemed to have gone right over his head. She was a little disappointed; she could have seen herself returning to visit this Kesho fellow in the future, but if he wasn’t interested, then it wasn’t possible. He offered a monosyllabic response and a grin, but this did not placate Tayui. She did not smile in response, but instead, furrowed her brow ridge in concern and leaned in ever so slightly with a concerned expression.

“I’m sorry,” she tried, “is something wrong Kesho?”

[/html]

Short, sorry. D: Having trouble posting with him lately, arrghh! WC: 241

His head was swimming, and he suddenly felt intensely uncomfortable in Tayui's presence. It would be rude to just leave, he knew that, but he wasn't sure how much longer he could stay here, either. She questioned him, "Is something wrong?" She even apologized. But she hadn't done anything; it was just him. Kesho sighed deeply, looking away again.

The old Hydra stared off into the empty, dark spaces between the trees, sure that he would soon see something moving there. Even if he never caught sight of anything, he would forever be watchful. After all, it was his job to make sure nothing moved here but Inferni.

He felt so torn. He wanted to stay, he needed to get this insight that Gabriel and Kaena so coveted, that they now embraced, but it felt so wrong. His body protested, nearly screamed at him where he stood. Kesho clenched crimson eyes shut tight for a moment, shaking his head as if it would help him snap out of a momentary mental collapse, but he knew it wouldn't. With a frustrated, low sigh, he spoke.

"No..." he said, though it was clear he was somewhat unsure. "No, nothing's wrong...I just--I think I need to go," he managed to look her in the eye for a brief moment before adding, "Sorry, I...need to get back to work," Kesho grunted as he slowly stood, taking small, unsure steps away from her.

[/html]