work of steady hands
[html]

Word Count :: 3+ Rawr. It's late and my muse is drained. Lovi's in optime form.

The black-faced wolf stared in wonder around Thornbury. He had seen Luperci towns like this before, but never had he been inside any. Never had he been invited to claim a home in any such place. He limped through the little town, steadying himself every now and then on anything he could find. His young eyes focused on a nearby wooden house. He had only dreamed of being able to exercise such mastery over wood. He had a knack for small sculptures and whittled figures, but to build a home... That would be something.

He limped carefully forward, casting his gaze all around. The appreciation of art that Cercatori d'Arte was known for was clearly apparent in this settlement. Signs of the wolves' creativity lied all around him. Loviere could hardly wait to join the pack in their activities. He eyed Octavian, a few feet ahead of him. The raccoon seemed as mystified as the man. Loviere knew what the little scavenger was thinking.

"Oct, look, don't touch."

He chuckled as the raccoon cursed at him in Low Speech and moved forward, slowly taking in the sights of the town. Loviere could hardly wait to meet his new packmates. It was a funny thing, to think that he was actually part of a pack. For as long as he had known them, his parents had told him of how pointless packlife was. It was better to take care of yourself and just yourself, they had told him. Loviere had never quite enjoyed living only for himself, personally. The life of a loner was a lonely existence, going against every instinct he had. He sought companionship and family, unlike his parents.

Thoroughly absorbed in his thoughts, Loviere did not have time to react when his bad leg caught on a stray vine upon the ground. He grunted as he fell onto his shoulder, unable to turn his body in time to catch himself. Two years with this disablity, and still he had not quite mastered it. He gently pushed himself onto his knees, shamefully looking around for any witnesses.

table by the Mentors!

<style>
.at-template { background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/17u2ra.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; background-color:#a1cd7e; width:421px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:313px 0px 10px 0px; color:#000000; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.at-template b {color:#336633; }
.at-template p { text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.at-template p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.at-template .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
OOC: Sorry about the lateness.

IC: Rory was a happy dog. He had just asked his girlfriend to be his mate and she accepted. It was funny how they did so after only knowing each other for two days. But he was happy. What he really hoped for were pups of his own. He loved his niece but really wanted his own. Hopefully Mya agreed with him. But he was willing to wait until she was ready. Not that he had actually talked to her about it.

But that conversation would wait for another time. He stepped outside his and his mate’s house and looked around. He raised his eyebrow muscle when he saw a light colored wolf with a black mask following a raccoon. He figured that the two of them were friends, which was rather…odd. Rory shrugged. There were stranger things that happened.

It seemed the wolf was a bit crippled. So when he went down, Rory ran over to help him up. ”Are ye alright, me lad?” He offered a hand to help him stand up. The man must be new since although he had the scent of the pack on him, it was faint. ”Me name is Rory. What might yer name be?” He gave him a friendly smile.
[html]

I've just now realized that Loviere looks a bit like a raccoon himself. Hmm. And the lateness is fine.

If his face was not covered in fur, the dog might have seen Loviere blush with humiliation. Nonetheless, he gratefully took the helping hand and gently got himself onto his feet, swinging the crutch back under his arm. He took a few seconds to look over the dog. The half-tundra wolf could count the number of dogs he had seen in his life with his fingers. The uneasy feeling of obvious inexperience washed over him. Loviere was finally escaping his own little world, trudging into reality. There were other kinds of canines out there, kinds that he had not seen on his path from the south to Nova Scotia. Loviere could have laughed at his own naivety.

The strange accent of Rory perplexed him further. He would have to remember to ask him of his origins when he got to know him better. Loviere had heard that people came from all over the world, but he was still amazed at such a simple difference. "I'm okay, thank you."

Octavian hurried up to Loviere now and as the wolf held out his free arm, the juvenile coon leapt on. He climbed up his friend to rest upon his shoulders, looking at Rory curiously. As Rory spoke again, Loviere took the opportunity to look closer at the dog. With Shawchert being the first, Rory was only the second member of the pack that Loviere had really had the chance to meet. He smiled back and spoke. "I'm Loviere Dinabalo. It's nice to meet you. I just got here few days ago, yes? Just getting used to... life."

table by the Mentors!

<style>
.at-template { background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/17u2ra.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; background-color:#a1cd7e; width:421px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:313px 0px 10px 0px; color:#000000; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.at-template b {color:#336633; }
.at-template p { text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.at-template p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.at-template .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
As the other man got up and steadied himself and then looked him over, Rory looked him over. Though in Rory’s case, it was to make sure that he was all right. He could tell that the wolf had a bad leg and wondered what caused it, but he knew better than to ask. That would be rude and inappropriate to do so. So Rory kept silent about his question.

He could tell that this wolf wondered about his accent. Not that Rory could blame him. It was a rather unique accent for those that didn’t know about Irish wolves and dogs. At him being OK, Rory gave a nod but was a bit skeptical, ”If yer sure. An’ ‘tis nae a problem.” He didn’t mind helping other’s in fact he rather enjoyed it.

Rory gave the raccoon that was with the new wolf a curious look and asked, ”Who’s yer friend ‘ere?” It was a little strange but he’s seen stranger. Like Shaw caring for a ferret. But at hearing the man’s name he gave a grin. ”’Tis a pleasure ta meet ye, Loviere. I’ve been ‘ere a little o’er a month. I came from Ireland ‘fore that. Where might ye be from?” He was curious and also being polite.
[html]

table by shannon.

"I take a tumble every now and then." The tan wolf gave the dog a kind, grateful look, and then bent to brush off his legs. Rory seemed friendly. Loviere had yet to meet a d'Arte member that was not genuinely welcoming to him. The thought warmed his heart - this was what a family was supposed to be like. His birth parents had mistreated him. They'd never recognized him as someone more than a mouth to be fed. In a pack, for the first time in his life, Loviere felt a part of something important.

"This is Octavian. He's a bit of a brother to me." The raccoon chattered happily at the dog, speaking in his usual fast tone. Loviere lifted a hand to silence the little creature, listening to Rory. Ireland? Loviere had never heard of such a place. "Ireland... I'm afraid I've never heard of it, Rory. And I'm from... well, south of here, is all I know."

He shrugged. He had never heard his parents call the place they lived anything specific. It had always just been home. Not a place important enough to have any type of real title. He found himself wondering just where Ireland was. Some place a good distance away, he judged, seeing as he'd never heard an accent quite like Rory's before.

"What brings you here? I just needed... a home." He asked the question cautiously, hoping he didn't seem too nosy.

<style type="text/css">
.Lovi-sdb b {font-weight:bold; color:#997766; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Lovi-sdb .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.Lovi-sdb p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Lovi-sdb {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#e9ecf6; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ZsCHK.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #666666; padding: 10px 0px 295px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#aa8877; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
At Loviere’s admittance that he took a tumble often, he sadly shook his head. ”I’m sorry, lad. Is there anything at all that I cin do fer ye?” He didn’t want his fellow wolf to get hurt and was willing to help him in anyway possible. It was sad that Loviere shook off the fact that he kept falling down so easily.

Rory gave a chuckle at the raccoon’s speaking to him. Octavian was rather funny. Rory decided that he liked the two of them. ”’Tis a pleasure ta meet ye, Octavian.” He wasn’t sure if the raccoon would be able to understand him but that was fine. At not knowing where Ireland was, he shrugged. ”’Tis alright. It’s a few months journey across the ocean from ‘ere.”

When Loviere asked his question and was shy about it, Rory gave another laugh. ”Ye do nae ‘ave ta be ashamed o’ askin’ a perfectly reasonable question.” He calmed himself down and said, ”I ‘ad ta leave me ‘ome wi’ me pregnant sister since I killed the dog that raped ‘er. Then me sister died shortly after givin’ birth to me niece an’ the two o’ us came ‘ere fer a place to call ‘ome. So I suppose our reasons are nae that dissimilar.” He asked a question of his own. ”’Ow did ye meet Octavian?” He hoped that would be something that they could talk about.
[html]

sorry for the wait.. table by shannon

The dog was a kind man, Loviere noted. He quite liked Rory and his unique charm. The young man shook his head at the question politely. "Nah, afraid not, Rory. I think as I grow older I get used to the leg. Thank you."

The raccoon hurried up to Rory, waving his tail in the air playfully. He touched the dog's leg with his nose, his usual greeting. "Eyuhland sound fun, bud. You brave, friend." The innocent creature spoke quickly, stumbling over the new word Ireland.

Loviere dipped his head sorrowfully as Rory told his story. He himself had never faced much hardship, besides his parents' dislike with him. But that was nothing to this. He touched the man's shoulder gently and said, "I'm dreadfully sorry to hear that, sir. Who's your niece, if I may ask? I don't think I've stumbled upon her quite yet."

He took back his hand to scratch his cheek as memories flooded back. Being only two years old, it wasn't hard for him to recall most of the circumstances of his life. He smiled softly and spoke again. "Well, I was an only pup and my parents were never around very much, so I had lots of time to wander around when I was younger. One day I was playing around in the forest and this log under me broke and I almost stepped on little Octavian. He was much smaller back then, so was I. He seemed all alone, just like me, so I took him back with me. We've both taught each other a little bit about our languages, and he's never left me. We're family, I think. Though my parents never quite approved."

<style type="text/css">
.Lovi-sdb b {font-weight:bold; color:#997766; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Lovi-sdb .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.Lovi-sdb p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Lovi-sdb {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#e9ecf6; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/ZsCHK.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #666666; padding: 10px 0px 295px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#aa8877; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: sorry about the lateness.

Rory does. Rory says and Rory thinks.

He nodded a bit sadly at Loviere’s condition. What happened ta it? If ye do nae mind me askin’. He knew that it might upset the man but he was curious to know what had happened to the leg. But if Loviere didn’t want to tell him, he wouldn’t force him to. That would just be cruel.

Rory smiled down at the raccoon. He was quite charming. His niece would like to meet a raccoon. I suppose. He gave a shrug. He didn’t think that he was brave but then he wasn’t going to ruin Octavian’s thoughts of what was or wasn’t brave. He did kneel down and offered his hand to pet Octavian.

He gave a grateful smile to Loviere but was still a little sad remembering why he had left Ireland. He missed it sometimes and hoped that he could eventually return, even if it was for just a visit. Though he gave a truly happy grin when asked about his niece. ’Er name’s Saorise and she’s ‘bout four months old. She looks a bit like bu’ a wee bit more reddish-brown. Saorise was his darling angel, at least one of them. Mya was the other.

He nodded as he listened to Loviere’s story. I ‘twas a wanderer meself. But I was always welcome home. Me parents might nae o’ liked me runnin’ ‘round the Island. Bu’ they did understand. Though he was surprised about learning the raccoon’s language. I cin understand me ‘orse bu’ I cin nae speak wi’ ‘er.

<style type="text/css">
.irishrory b {font-weight:bold; color:#3d495c; text-shadow: 1px 2px 2px #6573a0; letter-spacing:.-1px; font-size:13px; }
.irishrory p {text-indent:13px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.irishrory {margin:0 auto; width:377px; background-color:#93b3dc; background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/jidzpg.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #223c16; padding: 10px 0px 360px 0px; font-family: times, serif; font-size:13px; color:#223c16; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:-1px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
WC: 253

Table outline by Erin, edited by Kit. Graphics by Kit.

[/html]