as wine is to friends
[html]

Word Count :: 580 Hmmhmm.

"No good, no good, no good." He glared at the broken piece of wood in his hand, golden eyes flying back and forth to look at the curves. Fingers picked at tiny brown creatures crawling upon the wood, squashing them inaudibly. Loviere had picked up this piece for the beautiful color of the grain. The tree it had come from was not of a type that he had worked with before. He had set his knife against the piece to test it and the mites had shown themselves. Infested wood was of no use to him and he threw the piece down the path. Octavian leapt into the lap of the seated carpenter, holding a different piece in his mouth. Loviere took it gratefully, holding the light brown piece up to his eye. The telltale holes that marked infestation were absent, and he fell upon the piece with his knife happily.

The act of whittling helped Loviere to think. With a job, he could focus on one thing. Without a job, his mind often went off into different strings of thought, strings that would not allow him to think deeply on any single thing. He thought now of the way his hands could find their way along the grain of the wood, shaping softly and molding slowly. He rarely knew what a sculpture would be when he began, but let his hands lead the way. It was as if they had a mind of their own, creating the art that he so loved.

He set the tree piece on the ground in front of his feet and reached for the bottle of whiskey he had traded for a few days ago. He took a sip, letting the burn of the alcohol run down his throat. He lowered the bottle to his raccoon friend, who lapped at the drink and subsequently sneezed. Loviere chuckled, placing it back at his side. His light golden eyes rose to look over his surroundings. The structures within Thornburg were crafted just well enough that he could appreciate the work behind them. He had yet to decide on a place to settle. Currently he was considering putting up his own hut somewhere more isolated in the territory. Loviere needed more tools to do so, however, and so he chose to sleep in an empty house in the town, carving at day so that he might be able to trade for building supplies.

He sighed softly as he rounded an edge off the wood. At the moment he would enjoy some companionship. Octavian was often good to talk with, but the wolf was around the raccoon so much that the two had little to share with each other on most days. Such things occurred when you spent your life with another almost always at your side. This was one reason that Loviere did not quite like the idea of settling down with a woman. Would not the same old person get old after a while? He blinked. Surely not, if so many chose to settle down. I'm clearly too young to get it," he thought with a slightly chuckle. He looked fondly upon his work and finally saw what was seeming to shape itself within the wood. A wooden Celtic cross. Loviere knew little of religion, besides his own belief that each thing had a spirit. But he had seen various wolves carrying crucifixes and crosses of the sort, and many would trade for such a thing.

table by the Mentors!

<style>
.at-template { background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/17u2ra.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; background-color:#a1cd7e; width:421px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:313px 0px 10px 0px; color:#000000; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.at-template b {color:#336633; }
.at-template p { text-indent:40px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.at-template p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.at-template .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 503 :: table template ©Sie

Bambi had done a mean thing. She had left her dear, old, kitty at home. She wasn't so much wanting to be alone, she just didn't want to deal with the cat at this time. Even though they had been traveling together for a long while.. Her attitude still got tiresome, some times. It wasn't like she would ever leave the cat alone permanently. "With her age, she probably couldn't take care of herself alone." She thought on that for a moment, wondering what the feline had done before she came around. Field mice seemed to be a common snack for the cat, and chances were that they could probably sustain her tiny stomach. "Who am I kidding? I'd never leave Nana."

She had come to think of Nana as a mother. Not.. Well, not a regular mother. Maybe a cat mother. Even though her lessons were harsh, and she was quick to judge others at times, she had still taken care of Bambi. The dog could still remember back to the days when she was naive- More naive then she was now, that is. "That's a harsh word. I just.. Didn't understand everything that other.. Normal animals seemed to be interested in." She stopped walking, feeling over the bark on a nearby tree with her humanized hands. "Still don't understand, I guess."

Bambi tugged on one end of her feather scarf, untying it from her neck. She clenched the object, then released- Watching as the poofed right back up again. She continued to do this for a while, trying to figure out why they never seemed to just stay flat until she finally became bored. Just as she was about to head off in the other direction, she heard something. The dog's floppy ears became erect, her attention now drawn to the idea of meeting someone new. "It sounds like.. Words." The dog started off towards the direction of the sound- Excited by the idea that it might be another creature, other then a canine, that knew how to speak. "Like Nana!"

The dog sighed upon seeing that it was just a wolf.. Less excited, but still amused. It seemed that he was carving. "And Nana said that I would be the only one with that skill. It's not useless!" She walked out into the opening, sitting Indian style not to far away from the male. He was pretty far within pack lands, and he his scent told her that he was most likely part of the pack. She waited for Nana to introduce her, then realized that her companion wasn't here. Slowly, the dog reached out her paw, palm up, towards the man. Those who knew her well, or could figure it out, would usually touch their palm to hers, then drag it away. This showed her that they accepted her company, and were friendly enough to accept her chat. She continued to hold her hand out for him, touching her other paw to her chest and whispering her name. "Bambi,"

<style>
.heraldictxt-2 {font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px; padding:0px 95px 0px 0px; background-image:url(http://soulsrpg.com/images/pride/templa ... plate2.png); background-repeat:repeat-y; background-position: top right;}
.heraldictxt-2 p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt-2 p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt-2 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.heraldictxt-2 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.heraldictxt-2 b {letter-spacing:.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 479 Okay, I freaking love your Bambi.

He set the cross in his lap, letting Octavian pick it up and inspect it, as the woman approached. He allowed himself to smile gently, lips curling upward to reveal just a slight portion of his teeth. He found himself slightly in awe of the beautiful blue-gray coloring of the lady's fur. It seemed natural, and he had never seen such a unique coloring in his young life. He tipped his head in greeting as she walked closer and blinked stupidly as she sat down near him. He hadn't expected that. Maybe just a passing hello, but not for her to just sit next to him. As she lifted her hand, he found himself looking at it. He wondered briefly what the gesture meant. Was it some type of waving gesture? Octavian nudged him gently, and he lifted his hand as well. He touched hers hesitantly, hoping it was the right thing to do. He had often seen Octavian greet other creatures in such a way, and so he hoped it was alright.

"Hi, miss. Nice meeting you, miss. I'm Oct." Octavian spoke before Loviere, crawling from his lap to move closer to the lady. The raccoon's ears rose with curiousity as he crept closer, until he finally stood upon his hind legs to sniff more closely at Bambi.

Bambi. Loviere heard the whisper, but it took him a few seconds to realize that she must have spoken her name. He could tell already that she was a woman of few words. Such was a trait that he could definitely appreciate, being of simple terms himself. He found it a bit odd that his raccoon friend gave his name as simply Oct instead of Octavian, but then thought that perhaps the raccoon sensed something that he did not. The scent of the pack was on Bambi, faintly, but there. She must be new, quite like him.

"Hi, Bambi. I'm Loviere. Are you... new here? I am too. If you are."

He wondered if she would respond. Whether or not she did, he was greatly intrigued by the unique-looking dog. Perhaps it was her appearance, or the way she had introduced herself to him.

"I... like your scarf." He pointed at the feathered scarf, his golden eyes gently moving as he observed the woman. It was then that he realized that she was the first woman of d'Arte that he had really had the opportunity to meet. He wondered what her special talent was that had led her to join the artistic pack. His mind wandered, questions sprouting throughout his head. Instinct told him not to ask her much. She clearly was quiet.

Loviere touched his twisted leg as he thought, running his fingers over the patchy fur that grew upon it. Whenever he was around women, he found that the leg embarrassed him even more than it normally did.

table by the Mentors!

<style>
.at-template { background-image:url(http://i55.tinypic.com/17u2ra.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; background-color:#a1cd7e; width:421px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:313px 0px 10px 0px; color:#000000; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
.at-template p.ooc { font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; }
.at-template .name { font-size:45px; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-transform:uppercase; text-align:right; margin:0px 45px 15px 0px; color:#FFFFFF; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 1px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 617 Thank you! Lovi is quite cute, too. <33

The girl watched as he shyly placed his paw in her's. She couldn't help but be amazed by the little furry creature that stayed with him. "How could he chose to wait for him when he could be jumping and climbing from tree to tree?" Her eyes wandered to the raccoon's neck, looking for any sign of something like a collar.. Or anything that would restrain him. "Maybe he has just taken a liking to the sir.."

Bambi listened eagerly as the raccoon began to talk. She was obviously startled at first, as one could probably anticipate. After all, she had never seen a creature that wasn't of canine descent speak before.. "Other then Nana.. But she's a different story." A smile played at her lips, head tilted as the animal gave it's name. "Oct. Like.. October. I wonder if that's his full name. October.." It was kind of peculiar how she decided to pay more attention to his name.. Rather then trying to completely digest the idea that he could actually communicate with the two of them. "Why should it be so strange..? If everything has a soul, maybe we can all speak to each other, we just don't know it yet."

"New." She simply said, nodding to verify that he was correct. It was some what comforting to know that she was not the only new member.. "What luck that I could find another one." She flashed another smile, signaling that she wasn't trying to be rude.. Or that it wasn't that she didn't want to talk to him, she just had trouble doing so without fear. She eyed Oct a bit cautiously, trying to figure out if he was going to bite her, or if he just wanted to get familiarized with her scent. As she was looking over the beautiful little critter, she heard the male speak again. "Thank you."

Her confusion arose, along with her curiosity as the one called Loviere touched his leg. At first, she didn't really see anything wrong with it. It seemed that he could still walk on it.. Since he didn't really look like a hopper. But there was just something.. Different, about it. It seemed to be twisted. Kind of like a vine would wrap around a tree. "Or anything, really," She said silently, correcting her previous mental statement. "Maybe someone hurt him. On purpose. Maybe he was a slave, too! And, maybe, twisted legs were used as punishment." This instantly tugged on her string of sympathy- Causing her to immediately reach out, quite impulsively, to touch his paw that was smoothing down the fur on his crippled leg. It was a warm touch.. And she used her soft blue eyes to try and calm his worrying about it. Suddenly, an idea came to her mind. She lifted the paw that was not in use to her ear, unfolding it to reveal the letter 'X' that had been burned into it so many years ago.

"It's a beautiful flaw, Loviere.. Were you a slave too?" The question was a bit personal.. "But we're here now, right? One shouldn't have to fear talking about it." Just in case, she brushed over her previous question. "Do you have a home yet..? Maybe you stay with me!" She hardly noticed the flaw in her speech. But once she did, the dog could only hope that Loviere didn't. She was to scared to correct herself, already having pushed her boundaries on speaking. "But.. I want to talk to him." Bambi broke the eye contact, looking down at the ground and blushing feverishly. Even if she hadn't said it aloud, the female was still surprised that she thought such a thing!

<style>
.heraldictxt-2 {font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px; padding:0px 95px 0px 0px; background-image:url(http://soulsrpg.com/images/pride/templa ... plate2.png); background-repeat:repeat-y; background-position: top right;}
.heraldictxt-2 p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt-2 p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.heraldictxt-2 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.heraldictxt-2 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.heraldictxt-2 b {letter-spacing:.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 557 .

He nodded as she spoke. So she was new also. At least he had found someone who might be just as confused and unsure as he was. He looked closely at her, wondering why she spoke with so few words. He knew better than to ask, but he could not help but be curious. It makes her unique, like me, he thought. She wasn't just a pretty face, clearly. He smiled softly, looking at the girl. She was big for a dog, but still remarkably feminine. Strong, but graceful in appearance.

Octavian nodded at the woman, and backed onto Loviere's lap once more. He curled up, eyes peeking out from over his ringed tail curiously, watching the two interact. He quite liked this Bambi. It wasn't often that he and Loviere met someone with such noticeable quirks. She was a bit like Loviere in that respect.

Loviere blinked in shock as he felt her warm hand upon his. Immediately he ceased moving it up and down his leg. No one had ever really acknowledged him like that before. Often, people simply ignored the leg out of pity. It did not seem to be pity that Bambi felt for him though, he thought, but rather understanding of some type. The simple gesture sent a chill down his spine and he felt at a loss for words.

He couldn't help but feel sudden sympathy for the woman when she showed him her mark. It had clearly been inflicted purposefully. What she said next shocked him even more. He imagined the horror she might have felt. He couldn't imagine what it was like to be under the complete control of another. A pang of rage toward whoever had done this to Bambi struck his heart, but he quieted his emotions to simply answer her question. "No, I was not a slave. I was born with it, I think. My parents always thought it was... a curse."

He looked at the ground quickly. He rarely spoke of his parents' reaction to his deformity. It was part of the reason he had left them - their constant complaints of the bad luck his "curse" supposedly brought to them. But what this girl had gone through was much worse, he thought with a twinge of guilt. He had never gone through anything quite so traumatic.

"I'm sorry you were a slave. I am glad that you are free now." He knew not what else to say. Loviere did not have words for the feelings of anger and sadness her question had brought him. He had always believed that freedom was the one necessary right of all living things - to take that away was barbaric.

Her next statement amused him slightly. It was a nice offer, especially from one he had just met. He noticed her look of embarrassment, but disregarded it. In his opinion, she had nothing to be embarrassed about. "I don't have a home right now. I work with wood, so I want to build my own. Oct and I have been staying in.... abandoned house for while. You are too nice, Bambi. Oct might like company.... I would too."

When he was excited, Loviere's speech defected slightly. Often he had to concentrate on what he said so as not to speak stupidly, but he felt comfortable with the woman.

table by the Mentors!

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

fixed by J. <3 wc; 700+

Bambi never really believed in a higher power. She thought that they made their own destiny, and lived over and over again. Their previous lives were blocked out, allowing them to be completely reborn. If they had been able to, it would be like cheating.. They would already know everything there was to know about life. "Where would the fun in that be?" She wanted to try to explain.. To make him understand that he was born with a flaw because he could deal with it. Because he was strong enough. But she couldn't. Her silence had once been seen as a blessing.. Something to keep her from getting tortured so often. However, now it had became a way of life. She had began to associate speaking with fear. And just like as if you were to ring a bell every day at dinner time, a critter would have a hard time relating a ringing bell to anything else.

Her eyes wandered to the critter as he backed up onto the man named Lovi's lap. It seemed some what comfortable.. And didn't look like much of a threat. It reminded her of a cat, some what. But as she studied it's features over again, she realized it would probably be closer to being in the rodent family. When she thought of rodents, she thought of small. Ferrets, mice, rats.. "Snacks." She said. But Oct seemed intelligent. Even though his speaking had proven already that he was quite smart, the way he carried himself demonstrated that their was a lot going on inside his head.

She was happy that the male didn't jerk his hand away as she placed hers on top of it. She didn't want to scare him.. "Signal.. Strong, Lovi." She said, giving his paw a gentle squeeze. Some part of her was relieved that he wasn't a slave.. If they began enslaving gentle beasts such as him, they had gone to far.. "Not that what they are doing is okay now.." She wondered if they had slaves here.. She knew that there were packs outside of this one. Her pink nose had picked up many others on her way here. "Maybe they aren't as mean to their slaves.." She thought on that for a moment, trying to figure out whether or not that made it okay. "They are still there against their own will."

"Me too." She said, releasing a quiet giggle. She didn't know what it was. They way that he said it, or the way he apologized. He hadn't enslaved her.. Why would he be sorry? There was a large possibility that the only reason she didn't understand what he meant was because she had been cut off from others for so long. None of the slaves interacted with one another 'normally'. In fact, after her mother was taken, she didn't really get to talk to others at all. "The masters must have thought that if they kept us away from each other, we wouldn't be able to plot.." She wondered if it had worked.. But even if they were allowed to talk, they would have most likely been to fearful on one of that masters hearing in on their ideas to try anything. It still amused her to this day how they actually had the nerve to try and break free.. "But it's a good thing we did." All the younger pups now had a chance at living a better life. One that didn't involve torture and such.

"Help?" She asked, excitedly. It made her happy that she could actually offer assistance, rather then having to be pushed into it as she was at the camp. Her stub of a tail began to wiggle back and forth, a bit visible to the male if he bothered to look. That was another one of the things that slavery had taken from her. She wondered if other Australian Shepherds had long, silky tails. She had gotten so used to not having one.. Her mind now stuck on the idea of tails, she looked to see if Lovi had one. Of course, he did. Most canines did.. But how was the young girl supposed to know that. She moved one of her paws towards it, pawing at it in a playful matter.

<style>
.op-tbl2 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.op-tbl2 p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px; color:#000000}
.op-tbl2 b {color:#291201; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.op-tbl2 {background-color:#397309; background-image:url(http://oi51.tinypic.com/qygupi.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#397309; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:475px; text-align:justify; }
.op-tbl2-border {width:479px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
.op-tbl2 .inner {margin:120px 10px 10px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/25pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: +3 Sorry about the short post. I'm multitasking.

He felt a look of content show itself upon his face. He did not quite understand what the lady had meant by "signal", but her words comforted him. She seemed remarkably strong. If she had been a slave and had gotten through that, she was already far stronger than he would ever be. He felt sudden admiration for the dog. He wondered what she had gone through to get this far. His life sure seemed easy now, given even what little he knew of hers.

"You sweet. I like... houses. Wanna live with this girl, Lovi. 'Til you build. Sweet." Despite his grammar, the raccoon spoke confidently. He had always been rather headstrong. He was rather proud of his ability to speak some High Speech, when most canines found it hard to learn Low Speech. He gently pressed his nose against her hand, one of his favorite ways to show affection.

Loviere couldn't help but chuckle at the honest ways of his little animal friend. He would have blushed, had he not been so focused on the girl. His golden eyes fell upon her stump of a tail. His eyes widened as he wondered if this was another mark of slavery. Had she been born without a tail, or had it been cut off? He dared not ask, but looked back to her eyes. "I would love a bit of help, definitely."

He wondered what she meant by offering help, but he did not wish to make her speak any more than she was comfortable with saying. He picked up the cross he had been working on with his free hand and looked at it thoughtfully. He was half-tempted to give it to the lady, but he felt she deserved something better than a simple thing that he didn't even understand. He sighed softly, suddenly unsure of himself. What was he doing, after all?

table by the Mentors!

<style>
.at-template { background-image:url(http://i56.tinypic.com/15xnurb.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; background-color:#a1cd7e; width:421px; margin:0px auto; text-align: left; padding:313px 0px 10px 0px; color:#000000; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:18px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

occ; sorry, crappy wrap up post. D; I'm about to message you back, btw.

Bambi blushed, hearing the coon's words. She allowed Oct to nudge at her hand, then rubbing his ear softly. She hoped that him and Nana would get along.. But she knew that it probably wouldn't happen. Nana was way to head strong.. And she doubted, with this critter being so smart, that he would simply just follow all of her foolish 'rules'. Hell, she had a hard time following them sometimes. Even if he wouldn't be staying forever, there was no harm helping out another new person. She had never been particularly good at building.. Designing had always seemed to be her calling. But she was eager to help in whatever way she could. "Maybe I'll just make it look pretty.." She thought, "But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want that much of a woman's touch involved."

Bambi couldn't help but feel bad as Lovi held the cross. He looked sad.. Or confused. She had walked up to him quite abruptly. She leaned closer, nudging up his head. "Smile?" She hadn't meant to be a bother or anything. Her heart ached with the thought of annoying the crippled male. She got to her feet, offering her hand again for approval. "I show. Follow?" She said, jerking her head towards the direction of her home. "Please, be in a good mood today Nana.."

[/html]
[html]

ooc:// Also a crappy finishing post! Hurzah. approx lovi word count for thread: 2000

Loviere smiled. Her simple gestures tugged at his heart strings. He had never really bonded with a stranger like this before. Lovi liked how the woman got her points across with so few words. It was refreshing. He often could not understand those who used many words. He was far too slow. He stood up gingerly, using his crutch to lift himself up. Once on his feet, he staggered slightly, putting a hand on Bambi cautiously for support. He blinked, slightly embarrassed, and nodded his head.

"Alright, thank you, Bambi." Octavian hopped around their feet excitedly before rushing off a few feet to wait for the two canines. Loviere put the cross and his knife in the pouch that hung around his waist and waited for the dog to show him the way. He was still slightly afraid that he might make a fool of himself, but he rarely felt this comfortable around anyone. He relaxed his shoulders, putting his weight on the crutch as he started to move in the direction she had signaled.

[/html]