Marching On. aw
[html]
just one please ^^, set at Alder's newly acquired cabin near the stables.

The land had been scraped, a small impression made and rocks lined the border of the circle. Carefully he placed one log, and then another in position. A small bundle of horse hair and dry grass was placed below them. Alder held the flint and stuck it once, twice and then a third time to make the spark that would grab hold to the tinder and create a blaze. Gently he blew on it, urging it to live. Once it was eating the old wood the male fetched the hares and began to skin them.

The wolf was only starting to feel comfortable living alone, and in his friends old house. He missed Anann greatly, but understood that she sought something else. Something beyond the borders of the Court. She would make a good leader, the wolf knew. And he had seen her alpha male in battle and knew he was a the right wolf to begin a band of fighters. Though,
it still felt odd to be away from his older brother Haven and his family. Everything that spoke of reason told him that it was his time to grow up, and be on his own. But the small timid puppy that would forever live inside Alder said something else.

War with AniWaya had made him stronger and more confident, out of pain and sorrow he had survived. That insecure voice had quieted down substantially, and the benefits stood around him. Hawthorn was in the stables, content in his own stall and hay and not asked to sleep out in the cold to be a comforting presence for his wolf companion. The masked wolf sat by his house (hand-me down or not), and ripped the skin from the pump hare that he had caught. It was one of three unlucky rabbits. Life was changing, and though the wind grew cold Alder knew it was to be hopeful season of change.

[/html]
Hunger drove her to the cabin, fresh rabbit on the breeze. Terra sniffed the air before noticing the wolf sitting outside his cabin. He was the owner of the rabbit, and had removed the skin from it. That would be very useful to know, since Terra usually ate them fur and all. It clogged her throat, but didn't detract from the taste. This way she wouldn't have to deal with it. Maybe she could eat it?

She considered stealing it, but that would be rather rude. Instead she opted for the direct approach. Hey little thief. Would you like some company for breakfast? Terra couldn't help chuckling. The wolf looked nothing like a thief, though his face markings reminded her of the raccoons that often had tried to steal from her. They had tasted quite good, if a bit stringy. Their various stores of nuts and berries were what she had truly enjoyed, even if she'd cracked a tooth on one.
[html]
intended this to be in the evening, sorry if it wasn't clear in my previous thread ^^

To his surprise there was a sound heard beyond the yard of the cabin. The fire crackled, distracting him from the approaching wolf. Alder looked up from his rabbit, and saw the brown and ashen female before him. She spoke, and the male cocked his head slightly at her words. Was she teasing him? Your welcome to join me he replied, his tone slow and a bit hesitant. I didn't steal them. Alder added, placing one of the skinned hares by the fey. Alder had always been a fairly simple humored beast.

She was new, unseen before to the Marshall, but the sent of the Court was placed heavily on her. Whats your name? he asked, blue eyes watching her.

[/html]
Terra trotted up happily, grabbing one of the rabbits with her teeth. She would have dug right in if he hadn't asked her a question. I'm Terra, little thief. No, I didn't think you had stolen them. Good luck hunting? She studied the solemn male. He was very hesitant, but that didn't bother her. If anything, it gave her a boost of confidence. The wolf was a little older than her, but not by much. He smelled of the pack, but faintly as if he hadn't been around others often. It was a sharp contrast to her own scent that clearly smelled of the others she'd met. Terra hoped that didn't endanger them, but she still smelled enough like herself that she wasn't worried about revealing them.

Done with the pleasantries she tucked into her meal. The rabbit was fat, a nice change for her. Terra's hunting skills weren't sharp, so she enjoyed other people's kills. The meat was slightly warmed, as if still freshly killed. The blood was thick though, so that wasn't the case. Licking the blood like a thick sauce Terra buried in, crunching on the bones. It was really nice without the fur to bother her, the best meal she'd had in her life.
[html]

The male watched her, though tried not to stare. She seemed hungry, and so Alder was glad to help provide a pack mate with a meal. He wasn't able to provide much for the Court, outside the realm of horses. He was there at any time for a wolf that needed help in that field, but beyond that he wasn't much of a provider.

She expressed her name, and then assured him that she was only teasing him. He assumed it was the raccoon markings on his face that made her think him a thief, and it made him a bit self-conscious. Alder ran his fingers through his short cut mane and nodded. Yes. I have more practice catching hare then I do larger game. He explained, suddenly wishing that Hawthorn were here to give him a little support. He always felt stronger with the horse around. The wolf tended to be socially awkward.

I'm Alder. Are you new to the Court? His attempted at small talk.

[/html]
Alder's presence was quite nice compared to the high strung creatures she'd been around. Constantly getting into trouble tended to do that to a person. Her ears pricked when he talked about hunting larger game. I'm new to the court, yes, but everyone's really nice. Want to hunt bigger game with me? Terra hoped she wasn't being rude. It was hard to determine what kind of wolf he was, leaving her torn between dominance and protecting someone who was obviously weaker. Being weaker than her meant wanting to tease him as well, something she absolutely mustn't do to pack members.

Terra stretched out before the fire, soaking in the warmth. The luperci were really quite clever to capture fire like that. None of the coyotes from her pack knew how to deal with fire, though she doubted they could even if they wanted to. They didn't have the 'hands' that the luperci did which made it so much easier to steal.
[html]

The fire gave off a yellow glow as the sun fell slowly, making its departure more subtle as the two canines sat beside the fire.

His thought was right, she was new to the pack. How new he would probably never know. He had been far too wrapped up into the happenings of Crimson Dreams while the war ensued to know what had gone on here. And when he had returned his work at the stables had been double for weeks, the wolf hadn't been able to seek out their King to speak of his absence. Partially worried that he would be angry at his lack of commitment to his own pack and his undying devotion to Crimson Dreams and his mother or that the King hadn't noticed his lack of appearance around the pack lands at all. He wasn't sure what would be worse.

Maybe another night? He asked her. Tonight he had thought he would sit alone in the house, maybe continue to arrange his things as he liked them. Besides, they had fresh meat for tonight. Alder ripped the pelt from the last hare, and then went back to the first that had sat near the flames to warm. I have not met all of the pack members, but the ones I have have always been nice. The King doesn't allow much trouble making. Alder explained. He picked the warm meat from the bone, it wasn't cooked but the chill of death had simply been cut from the meat.

I ah... Alder paused, unsure of what to say next. Social situations had never been his particular strength. am the Marshal here. If you ever need help with horses. Alder leaned heavily on that aspect of his life, as his connection to the pack. He'd be happy to help her if she ever needed it.

[/html]
Horses again. The pack's fascination with the beasts absolutely befuddled her. They were food, that was all. Yet they even had a wolf assigned specifically to care for them! Shaking her head Terra studied the wolf that was before her. Maybe he had a talent with the beasts, that would explain his rank. She wasn't used to such weak creatures, having grown up in a life where each moment was spent fighting against death. The fact that they often sought out those situations was more for amusement's sake than anything else.

You must be very talented. Just because she didn't understand horses didn't mean she had to be rude. Terra had quickly learned that mentioning eating them tended to shock people, as if she'd spoken about eating another canine. That was a taboo not even her pack broke. The one and only cannibal in her pack had been torn apart quite brutally, and left where everyone could see. To make the shame stick out even more sentinels had been assigned to make sure nothing ate it.
[html]

Her words made him advert his eyes. Though the compliment did not come without her shaking her head as if she disapproved. It was a culture of the pack, and a in a way it was a lifestyle he had hoped from since puphood. And so her response confused him. He could not gauge her tone and only shrugged it all away, gave a Not really. and poked at the fire with a long stick. The embers jumped, and the fire blazed with new found fuel. There had to be something that she had, a past or a path she wished to move along. Alder thought little of his own self, and expressed all he truly had to offer her. Now that his place had been explained his thoughts turned to hers. Do you have a co-rank? Or a specialty? He asked with honest curiosity.

[/html]
A co-rank? I haven't been here that long, though I'm working for one. Terra thought about the different positions the pack offered. She wasn't really qualified for any of them, having only basic survival skills. Terra's instincts were strong, but that was useless in a pack that valued culture and acted like two leggers. What good was it to have a strong territorial instinct, when only certain wolves patrolled the borders? What good was it to care for the young, when they had a special mentor set aside to teach them how to read and write?

Shaking her head from those thoughts Terra looked back at Alder. As for specialties, well, I get the feeling mine won't be welcome here. The pack was peaceful, and Terra truly loved that. She wouldn't upset it by stealing and playing pranks on the members. It was really a shame that lying and sneaking around were strong gifts of hers, ones that the pack had no use for.
[html]

Alder chewed on a stringy piece of rabbit. If he was fortunate enough he would find a young buck, one in his second Fall. Plump and far too focused on his harem then to pay attention to someone stalking him. Young and stupid and easily caught. The hares near the ocean were too used to eating dry beach grasses and lived a lean and fast moving life. Not wishing to offend his company he kept form picking his back teeth, but placed a stripped bone to the side to later use as a tooth pick.

He listened intently, and wondered even more now that the female left his questions basically unanswered. Which one are you hoping for? His brother was experienced in the pack, and had taught him about the Marshal rank. Though Alder had met the former Marshal, who explained his life with the horses in depth. He wished he could speak with Heath often, perhaps starts as an apprentice first, it was a wish that would never be granted. Heath was gone and had been for a long time. But the masked-wolf had done well on his own, learning from his mistakes.

What do you mean? He asked curiously. But then, knowing that his questions were probing into her life, Alder recovered with, If you don't mind me asking.

[/html]
Terra grinned at the young marshal. I want to be a story teller. I know a lot of stories from my old pack, and I want to share them. Since the rank is available, I thought I'd try my luck. If there's someone in my way, well. Terra wasn't above fighting for what she wanted, even if she sucked at it. If there was someone else aiming for the same rank, Terra would fight tooth and claw for it. It was the only rank that she could really do. There were no other ones that she qualified for. She couldn't hunt, couldn't fight, and putting her in charge of the pups would be like telling a crow to hold onto a piece of jewelry. You'd lose the jewelry and the crow would have a good laugh.

As for my talents, I'm a thief. I can build traps, sneak anywhere I need to, disguise my presence, and talk people into just about anything. Terra glanced up at Alder, trying to measure his reaction. Those aren't exactly talents a peaceful pack needs. Unless they were going to war or needed something stolen Terra would be using those talents solely for her own amusement.
[html]

A story-teller? Alder thought. it was quite the talent. Far more exciting then the idea of training horses. At least in Alder's mind. His mother had told him and his brothers stories, ones that told them of Knights and dragons, and for Alder birds, snails, rabbits and horses. All of his favorite things. It was what he liked about stories, they could be about all the things that he enjoyed most and without the harshness of reality. it could always be summer there. He shook his head eagerly, Oh I don't know anyone that tells stories here. At least to his knowledge she could have it if she earned it.

When she answered his second question it as not what he had expected. The male was clear in his emotions, transparent to a casual glance. Tricks and pranks as she described were something Alder remembered from his puphood and there was a sort of anxiety that he felt returned to him. But he fought against it, and spoke to perhaps promote her abilities rather then seem uneasy. Maybe you could be a spy, if the Court needed it. War is not something we have never seen, recently there have been raids on many packs.

[/html]
She should have been disappointed at his reaction, but Terra had been expecting it. Her talents would not be welcome here. They would have to be used in other manners. I don't think you need a spy. I heard about the war, but it's over. I'll just dedicate myself to peace, if it's all the same to you. That last part was a bold faced lie. Her face hadn't changed as she spoke, but Terra wasn't a peaceful person. Trouble was like food to her, a necessity of her existence. If there was no trouble in the pack, she'd seek it elsewhere. While Terra needed a pack to survive, she wasn't willing to cut off that part of herself for the pack. It was how she had survived on her own, and part of her memories with her family.

Of course, I hope I can improve my hunting skills. I'm not much good to the pack if I can only hunt in a group. It was her poor hunting skills that had lead her to improving her thieving skills in the first place. When it's steal or starve, the choice is fairly easy, and quickly learned. Terra's mind turned back to the horses, thinking about the easy food. What's it like, caring for them? She was honestly curious about the strange life, working with the horses. It definitely seemed to be the key to Alder's way of life, one that intrigued her in it's newness.