there will be teeth in the grass
[html]
He knew from speaking with Naniko that somewhere to the far north of Esper Hollow lied another place where folks had settled. Of course, unlike his little troupe of gypsies, they were a real wolf pack. He was also pretty sure that he had heard about them being the ones in the scuffle with some other group or pack or whatever in the hell they were, but it didn't deter him from wandering to the north a bit. He never really walked a straight path, so needless to say he didn't end up at their doorstep, but rather at the doorstep of the bay that stretched far and wide, disappearing well into the early morning fog underneath the muggy air. Unlike the shores of the rocky coast that he had been to on the other side of Esper Hollow, it was nice to have some sand under his toes.

Sand that didn't leave the bottom of his feet with second degree burns, that was. He didn't move from where he was for the longest time, simply watching the sway of the water as it lapped against the shore, enjoying the simple change in the temperature that came with it. Deep in the dense part of the Hollow, not even the shade offered the best relief from the heat; so the cold waters of Canada definitely held true to the fact that with any breeze, the air was marginally different. Tolerable, he figured. So with nothing better to do than enjoy the sights of an overcast morning, he plopped down on the damp sand and sighed.
[/html]
[html]
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... -table.png); background-position:bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Heys! Uberlong post, I tend to do that when starting threads. Don't worry, it'll be less like a novel after we post a little Tongue
578 words

So many times she'd walked along the beach in their packlands already, despite the feeling she had that she was still a newcomer. The femme didn't know the area half as well as she had known Clouded Tears, but she loved it greatly - mostly because of its blessed little bay. Here, just outside her pack's territory, she'd found that the ocean made another turn, into another small bay. One to be explored, as she would always - for as long as she could - along the shoreline when she found it. She'd always loved the sea; it gave her some sort of consolidation, and when she was not in need of it, it proved to her that the world was alive. The water moved this way and that, sometimes as if it was breathing, and sometimes as if it was a turmoil of anger. Sort of like herself. The anger inside her aimed at Asphyxia, at Inferni, and at Haku wouldn't be quenched by the sea today, however. She shouldn't be thinking about it all. She knew how angry she became. But then again it was always nice to come out to this big creature that was the sea and throw off some steam in privacy. She'd walk ferociously up and down and along the waterline, swearing, kicking sand. And it made her feel a load better. That was how she had ended up here, her grumpiness had brought her another little niche of beauty.

Sand made comforting swishing sounds beneath her two hind paws as she moved across the scenery in her two-legged form. She didn't have the guitar with her this time, but perhaps she should have brought it. It was a quiet day, and she didn't care for much than keeping herself company, thinking and trying to understand everything. Music always let her think better, she could drift off while absently plucking some unknown melody, thinking about anything and everything. Mostly what concerned her; she wasn't that much of a philosopher. But today she didn't need it. Simply discovering the place would be enough, and she looked around with glee - that is, until she spotted proof that she was not alone at all. How annoying not to have the place to herself when she wanted to. She nearly stomped her foot, disappointed, like a three year old pup that wants a treat but can't have it. Nevertheless, she moved closer to the form; after all, she'd had fun in the sand lately, and this could prove entertaining despite her sullen mood!

Slowly, as she approached whoever it was, she realised that despite the fact that he or she had decorated him- or herself quite originally, it did not hide the fact that it was smaller than herself. That didn't necessarily have to mean anything, but for every step her paw took she grew more and more certain that this was not wolf. It was coyote. Her mane grew as she flexed her muscles and took on a defensive stance. What the hell was this filthy creature doing so close to their border? To spy, surely, and from the south, just to be smart.
Not smart enough, not at all. When she finally reached the oddly looking person, anger inside her built up in only seconds, she calmed herself before she spoke, but her body told the truth; she would drive this coyote either away, or to its death. "You don't belong here, coyote"

[/html]
I don't mind long posts at all, so feel free to write whatever length. <3 :3

[html]
Maybe if he was lucky, the day wouldn't turn out half bad. Not that he had already found a day where something wasn't interesting, it was quite the opposite. Every day so far had been a bit more interesting than the last, whether it was finding bloodied up things on the border, giving amensiacs a new lease on life, or just shooting the shit with someone older than the hills. Laurel found pleasure in the little things in life as much as he did the big things. However, not everyone was that way as he had learned far too long ago and too easily. Such came in the form of a bristling lady along the shoreline, who's white coat caught his attention much before her demeanour. But once he saw the look on her face, an uncomfortable feeling sat itself in the pit of his stomach and the covered fur on his back prickled all the same.

But for the most part, he remained calm; not to irritate approaching woman but rather to avoid provoking her into jumping on his bones to skin him head to toe. The mix of expressions in his eyes hardened like steel as he made clean eye contact with her, a subtle frown unfurled on his muzzle. “Well, why's that? This ground here doesn't belong to anyone and if it does, then I surely didn't know it until now.” Weren't their borders a few more miles to the north, like he had thought? It was pretty hard to miss something that may have been invisible, but any sharp nose could smell it out. All the same, he didn't like the look in her eyes at all and as it was, both of them were pretty far outside of their so-called homes. But he didn't adopt just any stance, not yet, he wanted to be sure of what would happen first.
[/html]
[html]
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... -table.png); background-position:bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Mind if we backtrack this like two-three days till before our dahlia/inferni raid? Smile oh and is "threateningly" even a word? >>
love your avvie btw Smile
558 words

The other remained calm as the femme dropped about as low as she could in her two legged form, raising her already arched neck, fur on edge. Her arms were at her sides, elbows slightly bent so her shoulders appeared larger than they were, and standing with her legs separated for balance. Despite her small size for a wolf, she was still larger than him, and heavier. It could prove fatal - to him. She was naked, compared to him, but in a fight all that clothing would just mean that Mew had something really easy to hold on to while she ripped his throat out. The thought of it sent her mind - albeit briefly - onto pleased thoughts where the rage inside her would turn quiet in satisfaction.

The place didn't belong to anyone? Of course it wasn't claimed, did it smell like a pack area to him? The fool, to try and trick her with some petty excuse. He didn't smell of Inferni though, or perhaps he did. She was in a state where she wasn't sure whether she could differ between the Inferni smell and the smell of a coyote. They were all the same.. Filth! Half-crazed, violent, tainted beings invading the lives and lands of more peaceful creatures. And he thought he could mask his scent under that fancy clothing, did he? She knew why he was here, wasn't it obvious? "Don't try to be smart with me, filth! We both know why you're here, little spy..." She was taunting him, walking slowly, threateningly around him, stepping sideways with her arms ready to grab him. Normally she cut her nails so she could play the guitar, but the past week she'd forgotten it, and her claws were long and sharp. Came in handy to neglect grooming every once in a while, it seemed. Perhaps they would finally take their pack seriously once she made sure that their spy would go missing? Oh how she would enjoy that. The taste of blood in her mouth to make up for what she had lost, to repay them for the favor they had done her. It wasn't exactly Asphyxia, but this guy would do. Her emerald eyes met his steady gaze as she spoke, no fear for whatever he might do or say. She was driven by a more powerful force than sheer blood lust. They would pay for her children's sake.

The words that formed the threat came out of her mouth as naturally as any other word, and while she would have been surprised and perhaps even disgusted at herself for such intolerance only months before, she now felt a little tingle of glee in her brain. He would leave, or die. She relished the thought. "...and if you refuse to leave my pack alone, then I will make sure you don't get to see your little Inferni friends again at all". Her face was a mix of pleasure and disgust, and she was so angry that spit threatened to enter the scene and blur her speech. It didn't, though, but it proved exactly how close to the edge of going mental on this creature she was. She smiled then, as she finished her sentence, still circling, tail moving slowly from side to side as if it was taunting the coyote male without words.

[/html]
Yep, that's a word. Smile Feel free to date this whenever, I don't keep strict timelines or anything like that.
[html]
He knew that he probably should have felt intimidated by such a feral display, but in reality Laurel wasn't even sure what to think of it. Just as much as he didn't know what to think of the words that spilled from her pretty (but snarling) mouth, though for some reason now he could possibly grasp a better understanding of the strange things Asphyxia had said to him. He had even been called a lot of things over the last five years of his life but never a spy, which was ultimately just as annoying as a passing mosquito buzzing in his ear. She thought he was from Inferni; maybe that was supposed to be expected. He was a coyote after all and as it had been pointed out to him before, coyotes apparently were all supposed to live in some place called Inferni, which he hadn't the faintest clue where it was.

Behind his pursed lips, he ran his tongue against his teeth idly, withholding a truly smart answer. He could have apologised for not being what she wanted him to be, but didn't want to cast the first stone that sent her over the edge. “They wouldn't miss me because they don't know me,” he said in the same tone as before, putting enough trust in her that she wouldn't be as foul as to strike him first. If she did, it was surely be a cold day in hell before she got to lay another hand on him but whether it was because he fought back or ran away was up in the air. “I think you have me mistaken for someone else, anyway. Don't you think if I were to ‘spy’ on your pack, I'd sit a little closer? Maybe another ten miles up the shoreline?” Though he had good eyesight, it wasn't that good, especially when he wasn't getting any younger on top of it.
[/html]
[html]

Sorry this is late, I've just gotten back to school from summer - traveling and the like, been uberbusy :S
504 words

Silly creature. There were many ways to spy - one of them she had done herself. Traveling close-ish to the lands where your enemy resided, check out the terrain, find holes in their surroundings that could be used to your own advantage. Knowing who you were fighting was a good help in any fight, but knowing the best place to let the fight take place could determine who was the loser. There was no real need to get dangerously close to their packlands to find out where the terrain was weak. Still, he would have to get closer to get any real info, but who said he hadn't been moving in that direction when she encountered him? All coyotes were the same. Tainted, wronged. The pups would be innocents, but only for so long. Living with the grown ones would destroy their young minds too. There was only one way around the problem really; destroy the grown, rescue the young. This one was not young, and a liar at that - it would barely be a waste.

The femme maintained her tauting smile as she watched him, slowly moving her body around and around his form. "I told you not to get smart with me, didn't I?". Her lips curled into a snarl, far from soundless. There was no mistake here; she would harm him. Unless, of course, he decided to leave. She wasn't so petty that she would strike a person who had not been proven guilty, although she wished he'd just admit his allegiance. It would make her day to rip his body apart. So inferni did not know him, did they? She was mistaking him for someone else, was she.. She could admit she hadn't seen anyone dressed like him among their numbers - she would have remembered if she had - and he did not in particular smell of the coyote pack. "You're a coyote, how could I mistake your allegiance... You're all the same" But she had a hard time differing coyote smell from inferni smell - it was where they all ended up anyways. Sooner or later this one would find them - and join them too. And Dahlia was in a pickle enough as it was, they couldn't afford more soldiers against them. So perhaps she should just kill this one off anyways... Despite him claiming that he doesn't know of inferni. The thought made her smile again, this time in anticipation. It lit up her eyes and her tongue came out to wipe her lips. The three-year-old femme wasn't aware of what she was doing, her thoughts were elsewhere.

"One coyote less in this world wouldn't harm anyways, now would it?" Her hind legs tensed as she got ready to jump, but she'd give this one another chance in the dialogue before she killed him. It was cruel, to play with him like this. Then again, life had been nothing but cruel to Mew, so why should she care? It was time she shared the goods.

[/html]
It's cool, no worries!
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t3.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

It always got old really fast, the intolerance, the hate. Laurel had gotten the short end of the stick a few times before, but he had never really been one to judge anything. Maybe it was just a matter of him not caring, or maybe it was a matter that he felt like he had other things to care about, other things to focus on. Wolf, coyote, dog, who really cared? But the apple didn't fall from the tree and in any case, he imagined she was the way that she was because it had just trickled down the branch. The only leaves that didn't get it were the ones that grew upward instead of downward. His eyes fell to the sandy shore as she circled around behind him again. A change of scenery didn't necessarily mean a change of attitude.

“We're not all the same,” he tried to reason, “I know wolves who different from one another and I know coyotes who are different from one another. We all howl at the same moon and shit in each other's backyards and it's been that way for hundreds of years.” For the same reasons, they fought and fought and fought. Over food, over territory, over each other. He dusted his hands off on his pants and then rose up to his feet and full height. “But whatever, I'll leave if it's that big of a deal to you where I sit. Thanks for the lukewarm reception and all.”

[/html]
[html]

302 words

She had been going to spring no matter what he said, but the flow of words that exited his mouth surprised her. Not only did he not fear her in the slightest - he seemed mostly disappointed or something - he also made no attempt to run away or fight back. Very unlike an Inferni coyote. Perhaps he was a coward and hid it well, but it didn't look like it. Besides, he was much much older than her, which would only make her even more of a threat to him. She felt her shoulders relax as she thought about what to do, aggression fading away. True, it had been like that for hundreds of years. But that didn't change anything, although it didn't justify anything either. A little of her old self trickled in to replace her fury, remembering how she'd been reprimanding Haku for killing needlessly. This coyote had not done anything to her, it was Asphyxia that had murdered her spirit. But it was also Inferni, and she was still not certain that he wasn't one of them. Bewildered, she let her aggressive stance go and just stood up, looking at him.

That didn't mean her skepticism was gone, however. Her form was glowing with the sun in her back, fur almost looking as if it would blend with that white sand they were standing on, as she scowled at him. If you're not with Inferni, then who are you with? She paused. If this was trickery she would regret it later. But not as much as he would. ... and how can I know that you're not a lying little bastard?. If he didn't have a reason, then she didn't need one to attack. His life, his problem. Not like Mew really cared. This had become an honor thing.

[/html]
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t5.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

_____“I ain't with nobody, lady,” he said, mostly because it was true. The place where he was being called a pack, but not by him. Gypsy bands were entirely a different thing in his mind, mostly because of the lack of structure to them. Equality, that's what ran them. “I'm just a traveller who's a bit overdressed for the likes of this place and clearly not welcomed in his neck of the woods.” Pushing his hat back a little bit on his head, Laurel wasn't surprised that she wanted some reason to prove that he wasn't lying. It was common sense to ask how can I trust you?

_____“Honestly now, have I given you a reason to not believe me other than not being a wolf? I mean, if I had been an overdressed wolf here, I can bet you'd trust me just like I was your long lost cousin from downstate.” Just like in the same sense he was generally drawn to coyotes, if only because he knew he wouldn't get his face eaten off immediately, unless they were just that sort of coyote. Coyote hate on coyotes existed, very much in the same way it did for wolves hating on other wolves. They were a bigoted sort, needless to say.
[/html]
[html]

Pretty horsie table Big Grin
Shitty post by me, sorry about that :/

Her bewilderment turned to annoyance. He obviously did not know how things went down around here. If he had known, he would have known better than to get even remotely close to the Dahlia border... As dumb as inferni went, Mew doubted they were that stupid, and she was certain that the oh so blessed Gabriel had informed every member of the pack of the situation. It was getting old now, too. Not much happening, although there were whispers of a raid. She would wait until she was called. Green eyes looked at him, and she sighed. Fine. He won. Her sense had trickled back into her head as the aggression made space, and she realized now that he didn't smell even remotely of inferni. Just a coyote, and apparently a loner. "Fine."
What else was there to say? She didn't feel like explaining her behavior, and she certainly would not apologize. Blankly, she stared at him, not knowing exactly what she expected, but she did expect something. She was a mixture of annoyance and simple resignation, awaiting his action to swing the needle in either direction.

[/html]
It was fine. Tongue
[html]
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj31 ... rel/t5.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

_____With nothing more to say to her and his mood slightly soured, Laurel simply walked away from where she was, not inclined to continue conversing (if it could have been called that) and headed back for the forests well to their south. If he had gotten his point across, there was no more need to discuss it. He could easily see why Inferni might have been in a tussle with Dahlia de Mai—if they all acted the same way as that particular woman, then they were probably asking for it. Which was why he was walking away when he was, simply not to get any more irritated or provoke a fight than he already had. It wasn't worth it.

[/html]