The strangeness of a face
[html]
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... blemew.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
This is in the far far far south part of the Dampwoods, because Mew is a wuss and doesn't dare come close to Inferni :]
Word count:363

Her two legs climbed a small boulder so that she could sit on it while she examined the object she had found. In reality she'd drifted around the place without a purpose, neglecting her pack duties and feeling how it gnawed on her conscience. However, Lubomir's absences and her troubles accepting it forced her to move and to use her body. It was how she rid herself of mental pain - exerting herself physically. It took her mind off things. Now, as her form moved to sit in a lotus-like position on top of the boulder, her white tail curled around her loins, she carefully looked at the item in her hands. It was turned this way and that, her emerald gaze intently focused on every aspect of it. What could it be, what was its use? In reality, it was an old brooch, found amidst the grass on her mindless trip around.

She saw that there was some decorative power in the item, as the thing was shaped like a flower, clearly on purpose. There was some amount of color, but most of it was red, but she guessed it could have been painted in a way, when it had been in use. Perhaps it was something to hang on the door? It would look good on a wall, too. Oh such a small item and such a large puzzle! She normally enjoyed puzzles by humans, especially those which had anything to do with music, but she couldn't see how this one could, and it had no use! A useless thing. Sort of like herself, maybe. Perhaps that was why she didn't like it. So long as Lubomir's mate, and no children yet. Perhaps the scum further north had broken her entirely. Perhaps she would never be a mother, now. She was as useless, that way, as the rusted brooch she held in her hand, and the parallel made her scoff and let the thing go. It bouced a couple of times along the surface of the boulder before it landed softly in the grass. Perhaps she'd been pretty, too, once - like that thing probably had. It was just annoying her now.

[/html]
[html]

mall-caps;color:#d8dbe0;font-family:georgia;font-size:10px;letter-spacing:0px;">the day i learn to fly i am never coming down

(363)
        The dampwoods was Jael's usual hunting ground. The shade coupled with the thick blanket of pine needles that masked any footfall helped the pale creature sneak up on prey. Normally it was difficult, contrasting so severely with the sandy grasses of Inferni and any possible aid in procuring sustenance was always welcome. Thus, as per usual, he was once again wandering the dampwoods in search of any small animals to murder to prolong his own life. He had wandered further than normal this time, but this was simply due to a lack of successful hunting. Frustration was growing in the young hybrid, causing his mind to cloud and judgment to lack, leaving reactions far less precise than was needed. He was hungry as hell though.
        Breathing down the neck of a rabbit, it's white, fluffy tail inches from the wolf's gaping jaws, he snapped and missed. The hare swerved, vanishing into a hole at the base of a tree and Jael skidded to a stop inches before impact. Snarling, he rose and began to claw at the earth, seeking the animal in the darkness, but it was futile. By now it had vanished out a back door somewhere far away and he'd never catch it. Nails swiped at the bark, slashing the wood in his anger, but even that was pointless. Finally, allowing his breathing to slow and heartrate to return to normal, he began to pace, wondering what the hell he could do now. This was worthless though, walking in circles, and so path changed, taking him away from the site of his latest failed hunt. Something pale in the distance caught his vision and for the briefest of instants Jael grew hopeful. But he quickly realized it was simply a wolf, and not something to eat.
        Approaching, he intended to walk around the strange female in an unobtrusive manner, leaving her to whatever it was she was doing out here alone in the woods so far from any pack and continue solitarily on his own mission. Gaze quickly glanced her way, taking note of the pale coat, but otherwise giving no other indication he was even remotely aware of her presence.
[/html]
[html]
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... blemew.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
Word count: 437

Her emerald gaze was locked on the item as it laid there, shining with all its redness and old prettiness, in the green grass. Oh it should leave her alone, growing so much older so swiftly as she were. She did not appreciate these things, did not think they mattered. To dress up. To add things to your character so people would find you more attractive. It seemed as if someone had had a whole bucket of stupidity thrown at them in some stage of their life, and never even begun to understand the silliness of that game. In reality, the femme was simply bitter, feeling unattractive and unwanted in general, in addition to several other issues she was uncertain how to handle. Every day she prayed (to whom, it was unknown) for conception, but it seemed the winds of fate never blew her way. The brooch suddenly became everything she wished to be, and at that she abruptly turned her head in disgust, with no wish to acknowledge any such feeling in herself.

For a moment she looked at nothing, but as her eyes focused and the scenery unfolded itself anew before her, she saw a white form moving slowly past her in the distance. The person wasn't that far away, but it was clear that he (because that's what he was, a male) had been able to see her, yet had chosen to move around and away from her - with no confrontation. They were both on unclaimed ground, but at his action she felt a renewed wave of rejection from the world, and then she was deeply indignant. Why - this male was an arrogant prick of some sort, and as she intended to do something about that (simply with conversation, of course), the femme climbed down from her boulder and approached the male. However, upon reaching a better distance, she noticed some few features that were strange - and then the smell hit her. He was from inferni. He was to blame for all her misery. All of them. They were all responsible. They had let Asphyxia among their ranks, they had aided her, and they had let her reproduce. But Mew Sadira had suffered at her fangs an enormous loss - and nobody cared. Nobody offered it a single thought. Well, this one would. Hey! Inferni boy! The clan name was almost spat out of her mouth, reeking of contempt and hatred. Her pose was arrogant and alert, but not yet outright aggressive. Her words would suffice for some time. The clawing would be later, and it would be good. So good.

[/html]
[html]
        Jael was a non-confrontational beast by nature, but that didn't mean he managed to avoid confrontation. Moving on his way quietly through the unclaimed territory, it would be his snowy coat meant for icy tundra, not dark forests, that would be his undoing. Thoughts were far from the pale she-wolf and her problems, consumed currently with his own bloodlust. He desired things he could not have and did not yet know of, and that bothered and frustrated him to no end. Yet as he walked for whatever reason the stranger chose to vacate her rocky perch, moving toward him and calling out in a manner that made his eyes roll. By now, Jael knew his wolfish look and Inferni ties would cause problems when meeting with wolves, and so wasn't completely surprised when this paticular situation presented itself to him. However, that didn't spare him from annoyance, bristling faintly at the girl's tone. Turning sun-hued eyes on the female he glared indignantly to the white wolf, wrinkling his own muzzle in disgust. "May I help you?" he asked coolly, sarcasm lacing each syllable. The young hybrid was in no mood for games, and this girl was picking a fight with him.
[/html]
[html]
Word count: 300

The similarities between them were striking, in some ways. The two who now played the prelude to a possible fight and stood bristling in each other's presence were both clearly of Arctic blood - no other species had that particular pelt. Then there were the eyes. Mew's own flaring green met another pair of vividly colored ones, and though she did not show it, she marveled for a moment at these orbs. She'd never seen anything like it. His reaction to her approach was what she had expected, and her furs lifted themselves on their own accord - but not fully. It was a small growth in her size, and she was small for a full-grown arctic wolf. The boy in front of her (he was much, much younger than herself)acted as if he thought he could handle this, but he did not know the hatred she carried.

Her own mouth wrinkled and mirrored his own, as her tone calmed a little and she spoke more casually now, attempting to taunt the boy into telling her something - anything - about the clan he obviously was a member of. Was Asphyxia still among them? If she were, she had been good at hiding, possibly knowing very well that one foot close enough to Dahlia de Mai would be her death. Her voice was thick with arrogance, but now not as loathing as it had been before. The boy would be of no use if she simply killed him. No, if he had imformation she wanted, he could go, perhaps even without getting scarred for life. Time would show. Oh, a number of things. What makes Inferni accept someone like you? You are surely more than just part wolf? She'd been around for long enough. She knew what Inferni was about.

[/html]
[html]
        Jael wasn't even particularly in the mood for a fight. However, even as he thought about it, visualizing himself tearing his fangs into her flesh as she aimed to rip him apart, something stirred within the young hybrid. Paws bracing the earth, holding him steady if she chose to lunge for him unexpectedly, he could almost smell her blood, tasting it on his tongue--and it tasted good! Almost disappointingly her demeanor changed, still offensive, yet calming down just ever so slightly. Enough to keep either wolf from attacking each other. Her voice still contained an attitude the boy didn't like, but was less so than previously it had been.
        "Not that it's any of your business I'm enough of a coyote for Inferni's standards," he replied, own voice remaining cold and unfriendly. Running up on him with aggression was not the way to get Jael to speak, thus the boy was loath to be completely honest with this strange girl. He was used to his strange life and would hold his head high when announcing the clan's name he resided within. They seemed far more forgiving then the wolves who despised them. Inferni's cause was to live and survive while their larger cousins wished to exterminate them simply for lack of competition for food and territory. Despite being mostly wolf Jael's side was already chosen and his loyalty given--and it wasn't with the wolves.
[/html]
[html]

It seemed her calming down had calmed the boy also, as he replied coolly and unfriendly, but not outright aggressively. Mew found humor in his statement, and gave a short laugh, the sounds trilling from her throat - small, pretty sounds. Her laugh sounded out of place compared to the less than friendly situation they were in. Inferni has standards? That's news to me. Her eye twinkled with humor and amusement at this statement, and a smile was running across her face for a short period of time before it disappeared again. I'm amazed that being part arctic like myself meets that then, given our.. reputation. Mew had calmed fully, now, attempting to lead the conversation somewhere where juicy details might reach her ears. The femme was not stupid enough to seek the pack who at least in the past wanted her - specifically - dead, and she was quite certain that some would settle for Haku's beloved sister instead of Haku himself, should the opportunity arise. No, it was better to stay safe, although that didn't mean she wasn't curios. The wish to crush them would never go away, and to fulfill it she needed information. So, so much information.

[/html]
[html]
        She laughed outright at his response, mocking him and the clan he was a part of. His muzzle wrinkled in distaste, lip curling back over snow-white fangs. The scent of the pack Haku had obviously belonged to clung to this she-wolf's coat as well, though he'd yet to learn the name of this particular group. Had he known it was Dahlia de Mai he may of laughed, for what Gabriel had told him still rang in his ears, remembering the stated tension between the man called Soul and his uncle. But proper information had never been passed, and so Jael couldn't put two and two together about this woman and her identity. He may of figured out himself that they both shared a mother otherwise.
        "So you come to me with aggression, insulting my pack and family, yet you don't even know me," Jael finally said, voice like ice on the edges of a frozen pond. He could assume she had past grievances with Inferni, but that gave her no right to categorize them all the same because of a few individuals. Jael was nothing like his father, for instance, yet he had no shame in residing within the coyote clan. "What have I ever done to you?" he asked, tired of all of the ignorance. His brother was naive. His father a fool and a liar. Jael was simply tired of it all.
[/html]
[html]
Terribly sorry for the long wait - net problems :/ Also sorry for the crappiness here, takes me a while to get into posting again, usually.
Word Count: 383

Her face changed in a brief moment at his first sentence. What, she came to him with aggression? True, in this case, although Inferni in general came at the world with aggression. What a silly remark to make, as if his clan were peace-lovers. Mew had been a peace-lover once, but the flock of coyote scum had ruined that illusion for her forever. Among other things. A mock smile crept up in the side of her mouth. It lingered for a moment as she gave his sentence some thought, but when she replied she was not as friendly as the smile could have been. Her voice was rough as she spoke, but not as laden with contempt as before. Truth be told she'd hated these individuals for so long, she'd forgotten that they were exactly that. Individuals. Don't pretend that your clan is something it is not. All of you come at everyone with aggression - you can't deny that, with your pretty skull fence around your borders. She paused, studying his face for a moment, feeling as if there was something she ought to know about him. By allowing yourself to carry their scent and live among them, you also accept what they stand for. And more often than not, it is war. One eyebrow rose as she looked at him, questioning him. What made him any different than the others? Was he a rebel within the clan? She doubted it.

His voice sounded in his head again, and now the anger she carried around, every day, rose and fought to be released - her eyes widening in rage before she collected herself. He had done nothing to her, but Inferni had. Right now he was a representative of that clan, and he had better watch his step. Else she might prove to her brother once and for all that he was not the only one able to wreak havoc in their litter. Her voice was cold, as was her gaze, as she stared at him, blank-faced. You filth took my children. They'd sheltered a maniac cannibal among them. As if it was normal to run around in an alcohol haze and devour those of your own species. As if it was accepted. She had no faith in their judgement of personalities.

[/html]
[html]
it’s fine. :] (388)

“Obviously we don’t all come at everyone with aggression, for I did nothing to you until you started with me,” Jael replied, muzzle wrinkled in annoyance. Regardless of any problems she’d had in the past with Inferni members she had no right to consider them all to be the same without knowing anything about him. That was not who Inferni was, nor Jael himself. “While I can’t speak for every member of my clan, I can say that we stand for survival, not outright aggression. Wolves have a natural problem with coyotes, wishing to eliminate the “lesser” predator by default. Coyotes simply fight back and stand up for themselves against annihilation.” Jael may have been more wolf than anything else, but he’d lived long enough with coyotes to understand their world far more than the wolves’. He knew not every coyote simply fought back in natural warfare, though—he wasn’t stupid enough to believe that was the only reason they fought and killed. “You are naïve for believing you understand us when you obviously know nothing,” the pale creature hissed through his fangs. By choice he dwelled in the coyote’s realm and by choice he was a coyote, despite his lupine appearance. Yet this wolf was outright calling him a murderer when that was the exact opposite of his personality.
        This wasn’t to say he’d never taken another’s life in his brief existence—every day wolves, coyotes, and any predator alive took a life to further their own, but Jael had never killed for the simple amusement. He derived no pleasure from death. The snowy woman went on to accuse him and his chosen breed of all stealing away her children. “Who took your children?” he asked, intentionally, determinedly allowing some of the annoyance to be pressed out of his voice. “Do you have a name? An appearance? I’ve never met you in my life—I obviously know nothing of your loss. But I’d like to know who really did what you’re accusing me of.” Jael was honestly curious, but nothing more than that. He’d never go around avenging some stranger who ran at him in pure anger, pointing fingers and calling him unwarranted names. He didn’t even know if the girl honestly deserved it or the real situation behind it, but the boy did not approve of pointless murder.

[/html]
[html]
Dialogue fail, I' have word diarrhea.
Word Count: 469

She kept silent at his remark, for in a way it was true. To him it was true, but the very existence of adult coyotes was an insult to the woman, and she'd gladly see the earth rid of all of them. Thus she had not gone at him for no reason - he was alive, it was good enough for her. He didn't deserve to be alive, and she was certain numerous members of her close family relations would agree with her on that. Still, she kept silent until he was done defending his clan. As if the wolves were the mean guys here, as if they were the ones who had always picked the fights. She studied him for a while before replying, sometimes glancing at those eyes. They were fascinating, and had they been set in a pure wolf face, she might have considered him handsome. You call me naïve? You are much too young to speak of such things, you haven't been alive for long enough to see enough of the world to have a say. I know the history of your clan, obviously you know only the edited version. He should know better than to call someone who was 3 years older than himself naïve - it simply proved himself to be so instead.

Her eyes was diverted to the horizon, not able to look at this person who claimed innocence. Mew Sadira had never murdered, and she did not believe in needless killing. Her lust for revenge was justified, and she would have it, one day. That didn't mean she would take a life for the sake of taking it, like some among the Inferni clan had done. And they raped, they kidnapped. They were filth. For a moment she ignored his inquiries - why should she give in to his lust for information, when he offered none in return? Then again the conversation was finally onto the track she had wanted in the first place, news on Asphyxia... Reluctantly, she replied coldly, still staring into the horizon. Your clan housed a family of drug-addicts, individuals who had been drawn to human temptations, and become addicted to them. One of them was a cannibal, and she came at me one day as I traveled past Inferni ground, wishing to devour me. The chase back to my packlands nearly took my life with all the blood loss, but my unborn pups did not make it. Pausing, she looked at the male again now, finding the courage to. What kind of clan can justify supporting such an individual? She was malicious to the bone, and everyone knew it. I was not her first victim, but your leadership did nothing to stop her. In a place where such behavior is accepted, I have no faith.

[/html]
[html]

speaking of word diarrhea.. >__>; (447)
mall-caps;color:#555555;line-height:10px;">i am picking at remains of other lives
and watching colors and tragic looking passerbys.

“I’m not so foolish to believe coyotes haven’t done their share of bloodshed. On the contrary, I know there are those out there who’ve attacked and spilled blood without any provocation whatsoever. But naturally in the order of the world it’s the wolves that aim to rid of any competition, and coyotes are the smaller, lesser predator on the food chain, easily pushed out of their territory against a pack of wolves. It’s biology and it’s how the world around us works, I do know that,” stated Jael, aggression and defense for “his” species growing in his voice. While the hybrid was barely a hybrid, more wolf than anything else, he had chosen the coyote clan and thus picked his own fate inadvertently. Age didn’t mean intelligence, and a beast could live it’s entire life utterly ignorant and in the dark on the truths of reality. Jael knew what some of his pack mates had done, but he also knew if wolves had their way Inferni would be destroyed or chased out of the area entirely. While Jael couldn’t stand for pointless bloodshed and murder, he couldn’t hold his soul above the rest, stating he’d never needlessly murdered in his life. He’d loved the old man like family, and killed him when he could stand no more, inhibited by arthritis and nearly blind in both eyes. The boy had believed he was doing him a favor, ending his life and allowing him peace, but the fear of death and regret for his action had taken over, chilling him to the bone when he’d stared into those blank, blind eyes.

“I apologize for your loss—I myself do not condone needless bloodshed, and this sounded like it was utterly unnecessary. But lashing out at me will do nothing to bring back your children. I don’t even know this woman or her family of drug addicts. But Inferni houses it’s own when no one else will. Many of us are outcasts and have nowhere else to go, either hybrids or simply coyotes wishing to survive in numbers. Inferni takes us in, gives us a place to stay and acceptance where none else will. This woman should have been punished, obviously, but that won’t stop me from having faith in my own family.” For family was truly was Inferni was to Jael. Half of the clan, if not all, were related by honest blood ties or otherwise. He didn’t know he shared blood with this woman, but thus far his wolfen family had been far less forgiving for his mixed blood and choice of lifestyle than the coyote clan that took him in, disregarding his wolfish looks and traitorous, backstabbing father.

[/html]
[html]
-giggle- And hey, Mew needs anger management, much? >_<
Word Count: 331

As the male maintained his take on the world, by simply having decided that the wolves were the bad guys, Mew did not answer, annoyed. If he had already been brainwashed by their silly doctrines then it was too late, and nothing she would ever say could return sanity to this poor thing. He could stick to his ideas, but she knew they were wrong. Ironically, the idea he proclaimed was an indirect insult to her, although she was hardly aware of it. Fact was, however, that before her incident she had had nothing against the coyotes. She had thought them strange and she had known of their hostile reputation, but nothing more than that. She would willingly have peacefully socialized with a coyote behaved in a friendly way. That part of her was dead now, and she could no longer recall having had such opinions. In her mind she thought she had never had an opinion at all before the -truth- became apparent to her, and now she was convinced: Coyotes were malicious by default.

He apologized, and it took her by surprise. In an instant she was all anger and fury, snarling at the male. How dare you?! My children's memory will not be spoiled by the sympathy of a pathetic hybrid. Her back was arched now, furs on end as she had an outright aggressive stance. She did not move, and she did not intend to attack, either. The stance was simply an involuntary expression of her anger, now directed at this coyote. Don't you come here and speak to me about family. The Sadira family has endured so much suffering by your clan's teeth, our bonds cannot compare to your make-believe clan-family ties. Don't you dare compare us! Arrogance and demand shone out of her vividly green eyes as she fumed at him, teeth bared. She would fight like a madwoman if he jumped at her, and she did not care if she died along with it.

[/html]
[html]

yeaaah.. xD
mall-caps;color:#555555;line-height:10px;">i am picking at remains of other lives
and watching colors and tragic looking passerbys.

This woman was ridiculous. At his apology anger seemed to explode from within her, bristling and snarling at the hybrid for nothing more than his honestly expressed sympathy. While he didn’t bare his teeth in return, Jael’s tone again become cold as ice. “You ignorant bitch,” he stated, voice level and colder than frost. He wouldn’t sink down to provocation, allowing this foolish woman to bait him and turn him into the monster she implied he was because of his coyote blood. If he did that, he would be nothing better than the instinctual animal he could be, rather than the intelligent, levelheaded intellect he preferred to express himself as. “I only offered my sympathy because I felt the needed to apologize for my species, because you seem to blame every single coyote alive for the actions of one. If you don’t wish to accept it, then don’t—I can’t force you and I don’t wish to try. You insult me, come to me with aggression when I was simply passing by, doing nothing to provoke you and minding my own business, and then you dare to call me names and call me a monster.”

And he smiled, for he was beginning to see every day that there was no hope for the world. Jael had once wished to see species united, allowing all wolves and coyotes to reside side-by-side under one sky in peace, but he was slowly realizing that would never happen. The wall between them was too high and the scars too deep. None else would try, either, and Jael quickly grew tired of trying alone. He was simply preaching at a brick wall, talking to himself and knowing no one would ever answer him, joining him in his views. “Fuck you.” He turned away, continuing his passage as though uninterrupted by this woman. But he paused briefly, looking back to simply say, “Oh, and by the way.. yeah, I am a wolf,” before loping off into the trees without a second glance backward.

[/html]
[html]
Think that's about the fastest I've managed to kill a thread, sorry if you wanted a longer one Sad
Word Count: 380

Her nose was held high as she pretended to listen to the male's indignant ramble. She knew her view of life to be radical, and she did not expect everyone to see it as truth (at least she imagined herself to not expect this), and so this half-civilized hybrid could think and say what he wanted. When he finally finished, she smiled at him, still all aggressiveness in stance. You may think I'm a monster, but it's not my family who harbors the true monsters of this world. Had she only known the truth about her brother Haku, she might have held herself differently, but luckily for her she was blissfully unaware of his wicked and twisted nature, and believed fully in his brotherly affection and support. It almost drove her to try and taunt the male further, to make him attack her, only to have him squashed at the hands of her pack. But, she had been the catalyst of a war once, and did not know if she wanted to be one again, even if her own lusts leaned in that direction.

She did not provoke him further, and as he had finished insulting her as best he could (although none of these insults would in fact sting her any more than a flea's bite), he turned to leave. Amused now, she stood watching him as he went, wondering at his wolfishness and his strange eyes in a state of perverted fascination. How a hybrid like himself could appear so stunningly different from anything she'd seen before, she didn't understand. Inferni's members all looked the same to her, but now she would take care to sort him out among the res of them, if only by looks. He paused to speak one more time before he left, and as he did she simply stood there wordless, her body aggression and her face an arrogant smirk. She'd won, in her eyes, and promptly retreated back to her original seat on top of the stone. Silly coyotes and their pride, they should learn to accept the works of the world, whether they liked it or not. After all, he had said himself that wolves were the superior race. At least, that was what she had heard among his defensive babble.

[/html]