'Souls RPG

Full Version: Transwoman or transman characters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been thinking of how I might want to play my next character, and I started thinking about if 'Souls has ever had a character who was trans. Which I don't think it has? And the goal would be to have that just exist as a part of the character and for them to be capable of being known as the gender they identify with, though that would likely take some work and a lot of secrecy.

As in, a dfab (designated female at birth) transman would have to sequester himself away from the rest of his pack during heat cycles, as suspicious as that might seem after a while. Or to help keep suspicion off of her, a dmab (designated male at birth) transwoman would have to somehow explain away her lack of heat cycles or somehow scent herself artificially to create the illusion of being in heat. Probably invent or locate some sort of bra that she could stuff enough to assure others that yeah, she totally has boobs.

Would this be remotely realistic? Would other characters be able to tell by scent just in passing? I wouldn't intend on the character being capable of keeping their secret indefinitely, as surely they'd slip up sometimes and bring suspicion on themselves. Or they'd be caught changing clothes or become badly injured and need medical attention that would require a thorough examination of their body. Or something along those lines. :p
This question was answered in part on the tumblr <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://soulsrpg.tumblr.com/tagged/transgender">http://soulsrpg.tumblr.com/tagged/transgender</a><!-- m -->
Oh, derp. I looked all over the place remembering something like that had been answered on the Tumblr before, but I couldn't find it. >-<

So basically, one of the only options would be to have the character dress and identify and repeat their gender identity with such conviction that it wouldn't be worth arguing about? Probably?
There is a search tags bar on the side if you ever need to find something again ^^
Delilah Wrote:So basically, one of the only options would be to have the character dress and identify and repeat their gender identity with such conviction that it wouldn't be worth arguing about? Probably?

Pretty much. It would be very, very difficult for any individual to disguise their biological sex or mislead others about it for very long. They would need to constantly overpower their body odor with an entirely artificial one like spearmint or other plant with a strong odor, but these scent sources are only effective when fresh, so it would be nearly impossible for a single Luperci to keep a steady supply.

Technically, culturally, Luperci don't have as many longstanding gender roles as humans do, so while we do largely roleplay with these assumptions of gender roles, a lot of them have no reason to exist. For example, things like clothing probably would not have a terribly strong gender association for Luperci. Especially for Luperci learning about clothing through images humans left behind, there is really no reason for a Luperci to innately know the difference between a clothed human male and a clothed human female, and so human-feminine clothing would not necessarily signal femininity to a Luperci.
I had a character named Lotus that identified as female when she was biologically male. She was confused when masculine pronouns were used for her. Reaper's daughter Strife identifies as male and I had already put up a request for a trans couple but no one respond to it.
Cassandra Asylum Wrote:Pretty much. It would be very, very difficult for any individual to disguise their biological sex or mislead others about it for very long. They would need to constantly overpower their body odor with an entirely artificial one like spearmint or other plant with a strong odor, but these scent sources are only effective when fresh, so it would be nearly impossible for a single Luperci to keep a steady supply.

I figured as much. And you have an excellent point with that second one, Kiri. I mean, there's the concept of male and female and anything outside that norm as far as identification might be seen as odd depending on whose character you ask, but a trans character could probably get away with dressing however made them comfortable.

Stjarna Fylgja Wrote:I had a character named Lotus that identified as female when she was biologically male. She was confused when masculine pronouns were used for her. Reaper's daughter Strife identifies as male and I had already put up a request for a trans couple but no one respond to it.

Ah, that's cool. I don't know if I'll be making a new character after all or adopting one, but if I'd seen that request and had a character slot available, I'd have probably jumped on it. I like playing characters outside of the "norm," I guess. Especially if it can lead to plot shenanigans. :p
With no way to steadily conceal their biological sex, you might also want to consider the gender dysphoria a character might go through -- it could be a major emotional problem given that there's not a whole lot of ways to cope with it 'Souls universe, unfortunately :(. Though not all trans people experience dysphoria of course!

But there are a lot of other gender identities for a character that you can find many of here. You're not limited to just trans or cis :o. ...Speaking of, seeing as the form on the character profile says 'gender' and not 'sex', shouldn't we include a 'neither' option, or just allow people to type in whatever gender they want for their character? xD
I was considering that, too. And I'm a lover of heavy introspection for my characters, so even occasional dysphoria would be interesting to play.

And I was looking at that exact list before, in addition to being somewhere on the non-binary spectrum, so I know I have a bunch of options. And that's a fair point, doing so would open up a lot of possibilities in character creation. Though maybe for the sake of roleplaying ease, you'd also have to pick dfab or dmab so that physical sex wasn't in question? Which might make it more difficult, depending on how it'd be implemented. And the idea might be problematic for social reasons and I'm just not thinking clearly enough this morning to realize that. ^_^;
Yes, I had thought the babies coming from a trans pairing would be amusing. Just the whole confusion of genitalia for the pups and such.
Quote:Speaking of, seeing as the form on the character profile says 'gender' and not 'sex'

Yeah, I was thinking about that after responding to this thread. We may change it to read "Sex" since for roleplaying canine purposes, it would make a lot more sense for the biological sex to be listed, regardless of gender identity, as that is what others will first perceive any individual by.