'Souls RPG

Full Version: What attracts you to a character?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is it about an adoptable that makes you want them? Do you need an appearance beforehand or making your own? I have a charaxter that I want to get adopted out. He is important to a plot I wish to do and a character I'm waiting to bring in. He doesn't have an appearanxe just yet but there are perimeters for his appearance. I'm not expecting him to be longterm but can just be a temporary thing, length of time being dependent on plot events. Heck, I'm expwcting him to die but even that isn't set in stone. The future of the adoptable entirely hinges on how plit events play out. Would this make a character more or less appealing? Basically I want to know what to do/include to get this character adopted.
At present two of my three characters are adopted - one of which was picked up today - so here's what I personally can say on the matter. This, of course, is just my opinion. I am not someone who adopts a lot.

Things that really matter to me? Freedom, personality, and history. I say freedom because I like to put a little bit of myself into every character I make or adopt, so being able to come up with things like personality traits, quirks, mannerisms, and so on are important to me. Having a few basic points down for what you want the character to be like is fine as long as you don't outline every single little thing and leave nothing up to the imagination. The same can be said for history. I like picking up a relatively "fresh" character, one that hasn't been around all that long - or played all that long - and thus has room to develop and grow as a character. Again, that goes back to being able to have some freedom with what I want to do with the character. I don't want to have to keep referencing things and worrying about continuity errors or screwing up how the character is supposed to be played because they have a massive history behind them with years of development spanning three different players.

Things that don't matter to me? Name, family, pack, rank, species, appearance, and pretty much everything else. I do not pick a character to adopt because they are "pretty" or "special" in any way. I look for a character I will enjoy roleplaying, one that I can develop and have grow as I am playing them. A little bit crazy, missing an eye, downright ugly, or even evil? That's fine! As long as I am able to use these things to come up with plots and threads on my own and have fun with it, I'm happy. That said, certain extremes like being deformed, disabled, transgender, and any other things that would take someone way out of their comfort zone are red flags for me and for others may even be deal breakers. Making a very specific character means you'll have to wait for a specific person to come along who wants to play a character like that, which could take a long time.

As far as plots are concerned, I prefer those to be "add-on content" or "bonus material" (says the gamer xD), and not something that will make or break the character. I usually won't even look at a character if its sole purpose for existing is for a very specific plot, since to me it feels like his or her entire existence has already decided and there's no room for development or growth. When I adopt a character - or make a character - I intend to play that character for a long time, so plot specific characters to me are not that appealing, especially if he or she is going to die in the end. I love plots, and huge dramatic life changing plots are awesome, but when that alone is the sole reason for a character being around, to me it's just not worth it.

TL;DR - Freedom is good, specifics are bad. Plots are good, one specific plot that defines its existence is bad.

Again, that is just me. I'm sure other people see things differently.
The name. If a character has a derpy name or something that's too long, too foreign or generally something I don't like - I probably won't adopt.
The appearance. This is a second factor I look for - but it isn't necessarily the deal breaker. Appearance helps if they have one set in stone - it helps if they are nice tones, realistic kinds of tones lure me in - but I do also like realistic unique colors/patterns as well.
Personality/Freedom. Personality is a big factor - I pick character who I can easily fit into. I won't play a character where I can't really get into their personality because I'm worried I won't play them correctly. Freedom is also a good thing because while there may be some things that I'm uncomfortable with, with the character, at least there's certain freedoms that I can adapt part of the character to where I'm comfortable with rping them, etc.
I'm actually super fussy, but I do it on purpose. @_@ I lose muse fast if I don't feel like I back a character concept like 250% when I'm playing them (poor Gael), so I don't pick up new characters or look for adoptables very often.

I'm a sucker for very realistic characters with strengths and flaws that stem from one another, something that isn't a complete blank slate. I look for a unique personality with enough room for me to develop into something "mine." I don't like set and finalized personalities I can't adjust whatsoever and arranged to be permanent so the character can't grow. I prefer an on-board history to something off-board, and like to have a few on-board family members while getting started out. I don't care about insta-plots; in fact I'd rather have time to feel out the new character before thrusting them into situations.

Second to that, I do take the name into small consideration. Long names actually ward me away (yes, I realize the irony of the account I'm posting with right now), BUT I like a sound that rolls off the tongue. The writer in me hates plainer, human names for non-human characters to the point that I can't look past it; in my own writing I feel it interrupts the flow of prose because it seems so out of place or breaks the illusion for me. I've renamed the characters of my stories dozens of times over for that sort of reason. I don't care about big family surnames as long as they flow with the first, although lately I've had this odd fascination with reviving old bloodlines, but that's irrelevant to looking for adoptables!

As for designs, I just like something that functions. I find the more simple/natural pelts to be more attractive, but really have no preference (I adore Farina's simpler design and Mistral's crazy pelt colors equally, but of course Miyu is a designing master). I'm never concerned about species.
Stealing this from eve, but:

Things that really matter to me?
I may be odd in how i pick my adoptables, but one of the big factors is the player adopting the character out. If it's someone i frequently RP with and enjoy RP'ing with, then i'm going to be more inclined to play one of their adoptables. This also expands on to how much i communicate with the player ooc'ly, because if i don't talk to them or communication is awkward, it can be hard to form plots and things like that.

Additional to that is the character's on board family ties and it's name; if i don't like the name, i won't be interested in the character. I'm also a huge nit picker on designs and unless it's a design i really like, i will only adopt if i have extensive appearance creative freedom, otherwise not interested.

I wing things a lot and for most of my plots, i don't plan ahead, as such my characters develop IC'ly and never follow personality outlines i initially write. As such, i prefer freeform or 'blank' characters for the most part. I also strongly dislike "Must keep character in pack" restraints, because if something significantly changes IC'ly and i feel a change would be good, an adoption restraint would actually play against how i've developed the character.

In short: Design Freedom, Personality Freedom, Player adopting out, Name and Family are what attract me to an adoptable.

Things that don't matter to me?
Pack (so long as i have freedom to move), Rank, Species, Gender, Baubles (I can make my own tables and buy my own art ^^;) , minor points or suggestions; whilst suggestions and outlines are fine, a complete set character or 'fully developed/fixed character' does not appeal to me however.

As far as plots are concerned?
I'm pretty much never interested in established plots or joining in large plots that are tied to an adoptable. So having established plots, suggested plots or even an outline of a plot would instantly put me off a character- i like creative freedom and winging threads, seeing how things go and i -try- not to plan too far ahead, because things normally go badly then.
The fact that it is an adoptable attracts me... *character hoarder*
Things that attract me to a character are:

Gender. Females only, really. I get bored playing males so easily, and it's not fair to the person I've picked up the character for.

Age. I do not play puppies, mostly because I dislike children so I don't want to play one, haha. Other than that, I'll play anything from teen to elderly.

Plot. I love things that are plotted at length, but that doesn't mean things can't change as they go along. I just like having at least a general idea and feel like I'm floundering if I don't have some sort of plan for a character. I just want some direction for the character I'm picking up, so adopting a character that's meant for a long-term plot is great. On other sites, I've adopted several one-off characters that die at the end of the plot. (These are oddly all male o.O). I haven't done that here because there hasn't been an opportunity and because of the requesting process.

Who is adopting the character out. Someone I have plotted with in the past is much more likely to have me adopt a character from them because I know what to expect from them. Souls has been the exception to this since I started with Esther, and also picked up Fayne.

Character growth. I'm totally okay picking up a character that has a set current personality as long as it can continue to evolve, obviously in a way that makes sense.
ChloƩ Moineau Wrote:The fact that it is an adoptable attracts me... *character hoarder*

^ Dis

But there are other things. :3

Appearance is a huge thing for me. I have to be physically attracted to a character, because I'm super picky and detail oriented. I want my characters to look cool. I'm generally attracted to more complex character designs, because of my attention to detail. Things such as multiple coat colors, hair styles, placement of colors, all sorts of things really. I like the character's design to flow though and be well put together, not just splotches everywhere. Nice, neat, beautiful, and complex.

Personality is another thing, which is why I usually go for younger characters. If find some personalities harder to play than others, and if it's an adoptable I try and pick a personality I'll be comfortable with playing so I will uphold the owner of the adoptable's standards. I hate letting people down. I usually pick characters with more freedom for the personality because I tend to join and then let my character change and mold itself, basically whatever feels right. Every now and then I'll take on a challenge though.

Name isn't very important to me, but if it's an adoptable and it's a name I like I'm more inclined to adopt that character. When I name my own character, it takes me forever.
Moving this to help and questions because is gud discussion yes. :3
Describing the character as temporary, or making it clear that the plot can play out in various ways, does make the character appealing to me. :> That way if I fall in love with him/her, I can decide to make them live and play them longer; if I get tired of them, I can commit to the permanent ending. Extremely strict adoption contracts are a turn off for most players, myself included.

For a character I intend to keep:

Names are important to me, and in terms of adoptables, name flexibility. I like having the option of choosing which parents' surname, or a portmanteau of the two, if I want a surname at all -- and being able to use a nickname; most often I'll stick with whatever the creator had in mind, but the freedom is important in case the full name sounds awkward/hard to pronounce/long/etc. One dealbreaker for me is hyphenated names -- it's such a human concept that it puts me off for animal chars, and if I really wanted to adopt a character who had one, I would definitely ask to change it. ;P I'm picky about a few other things too, but that's the biggest one. (This guide is about novel characters but it has some good rules of thumb, although 'Souls has its own naming conventions.)

Appearance definitely matters to me, and I personally like to see a character's design rather than have them totally freeform. A written description works fine, for those who don't have art -- as long as I have some idea of what they should look like, so I can picture them in my head (and I often do sketches of characters I'm considering). In Kitty's words, "I can make my own tables and buy my own art" -- it's not baubles that are tempting, just design. (I waver between liking simple and neat, and complex and fancy; anything with collie influence holds huge sway over me though ahaha.)

Personality will end up being the most important aspect of a roleplaying character, but in terms of adoptables, doesn't have to be defined at all. Key terms and loose ideas are usually more appealing than a long in-depth description. So far the characters I've adopted (Colibri, Hati, Isolde, Salvatrice) had no personality before I got my hands on them. >:) As far as on-board characters, environment is a secondary factor: their pack and family will obviously influence their values, so that too will affect whether or not I'm interested.