'Souls RPG

Full Version: Cat's Luck
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There's magic in our bones - A north star in our soul - That remembers our way home 

OOC: Set somewhere in Wabanaki Coast

The summer air was warm but not unpleasant on Parzival's fur. The bright light made him glow a golden tone when he trekked through the more exposed parts of the land, and the heat did made him take his time and not simply sprint as much as possible. He'd made some good time already; travelling up the landbridge and towards places he'd never gone before. The south had been all but tamed by Parzival in his months of exploring, but he'd never gone beyond the Loch that split the north from the south. He'd come to try and look for his younger brother, to join many other Cavaliers who held onto hope that Tok wasn't completely lost, but also Parzival came to explore. 

To learn more of the lands, to grow confident in being on his own, to know where he could go and where to avoid. Right now, Parzival was learning from previous mistakes and keeping a good distance from any canines he could sense around, but he was also growing a bit bored of the lack of company. He should've taken up the offer of others at home to go as a group, but Parzival had honestly wanted to go on his own if only to respark his own confidence in his capabilities. That whole ordeal with the trap had set him back a bit after all. 

So when it came to figuring out another canine was close by, Parzival decided to be a bit more lax on remaining hidden. If worse came to worst, he could just run away, so he let his curiosity guide him on. 

Perhaps he'd been given a stroke of luck then, as he recognised the figure in the distance. Her tall, dark form was hard to forget after all, even harder to forget since Parzival had seen her up close when she chucked him into the sea half a dozen times. Remembering a name took a bit of time, but Parz got his mind to work just in time to go trotting over. 

"Hoko!" Parzival called. "Friendly lion here! Parzival, from Casa... you threw me around a bunch during those games in the Spring."

Wabanaki was strange terrain to Hokori, the coast usually avoided in favor of what she assumed to be higher traffic areas near Del Cenere or Cumberland and Amherst. She had switched hunting grounds for reasons no more complicated than a will to experiment, and her curiosity had been rewarded. It was likely a fluke but the Reaver had run into two traders two days in a row, stuffing her bag with beads and bandages that they hadn't been able to keep hold of with broken fingers.

Fuckin' score.

Hoko was happy to head home with the haul she had managed to make, a spring in her step that only existed after a successful hunt. Banditry was dangerous and lonely work, lots of risk for sometimes little payoff but good God did it make her happy. The only thing that would have improved the situation was good company, Benji or Lorien or even one of her many siblings-

"Friendly lion here!"

-or the very cool kitty she had met back in Casa.

"Holy shit, Murder-Mittens! Good to see ya!" 

Back home the unexpected appearance of a mountain lion would earn the cat nothing more than a rock to the skull and a boot in the belly but in Wabanaki there wasn't any livestock for Hoko to be watching over. Thus she could assume that Parzy's presence was purely pleasant. 

"You've been well I hope?" 

OOC:
Wordcount 238
There's magic in our bones - A north star in our soul - That remembers our way home 

It felt odd to go running up to someone from outside the pack, tail up and happy, little need to feel worried about what Hoko might do. Parzival didn't have a good list of 'friends' outside of the pack, mostly due to some bad experiences when others made the logical conclusion that lion equalled danger. And he didn't have the patience to try and convince a growling canine that he was in fact not going to attack them when he could just ignore them completely. That usually ended better for everyone involved. 

But Hoko was neither growling nor a stranger, so Parzival had no issue running right up to her. Her nickname of choice got a chuckle out of Parz who, once slowed to a stop, stretched out his front legs to show off his impressive claws. "Same here. I thought your pack was further north? You down this was looking for trouble?" If she needed help in said trouble, well, Parzival could do with a boost and he wasn't exactly against getting into trouble when he was out of the pack. 

In terms of how he was fairing, Parz flicked his tail, "Eh, could be worse... my uh... home had some trouble a couple of months back now. I got caught in a shitty trap, hurt my leg, real blow to my ego." There was of course so much more to the story, but Parz didn't want to ruin the mood. "Reason for me exploring, want to stretch the legs, maybe knock some fools about."

[+000] | Ooc: wordcount 318
Hokori ◈ Tanaka

▫I̴ ̶a̵m̶ t̸h̴e̸ ̵Pa̶i̷n̷,
▫The Rea̶̡̚p̸̦̈er̵̗̓, 
▫T̶̙͝h̶̢̄ḛ̶͛ Struc̷̙̿t̴̥͆ǘ̷̩re o̴͕̿f̵͉͝ ̶̧̛Lie̷͍̚s̷͛.̴̦̑.

It took more self-control than Hoko knew she had to keep from making all sorts of mewling baby noises while flipping Parz onto his back for tummy rubs. For as much as Hoko wished to squish his lil toe beans while burying his snout in his floofy kitty baby belly she knew that such a thing was likely very annoying when unprompted. But it would be so nice! Just a lil nuzzle couldn't hurt...

No, no she had to resist! Resist even though doing so was an act of imaginable self-cruelty. Hokori settled for squatting down to get a better look at her buddy's feet-knives, whistling approvingly as he unsheathed his pawfuls of daggers. "You're right on both counts. I'm a Reaver, NC lets me take bounties and stick up folks as long as I don't bring trouble to their door. So I went down here." 

She winced at the mention of trouble on the homefront, Caledonia's fight for survival still on her mind. "Yeah, I get that. Was in a pretty similar situation a little bit ago, got out of it unharmed but my family didn't." 

They were both restless, both apex predators among apex predators. That was why they were out in the middle of nowhere looking for idiots to pick on: they were wasting their time doing anything else. Parzival, while perhaps not as insane as Hokori, was still a kindred spirit to her. "Getting into fights helps. Some idiot starts something and I chuck him into a wall, it just feels right, y'know? Like I'm asserting myself in a world where nothing is certain." 

Her ears perked up as a brilliant idea appeared in her mind, the Caledonian giant beaming at her tawny-tummied buddy. "Hey, I'm a fool you could knock around! Provided you don't mind losing, of course." 

⇚══════════════════════════════════════════════⇛

There was a temptation to smack Hoko gently on the nose when she crouched down to get a good look at Parzival's sharp claws, instead just listening to her and butting his head into her shoulder. A friendly feline greeting, Hoko should feel honoured that Parz was giving her such a thing, or perhaps wary of if the cat was just using his 'cute' factor to confuse her. "Really?" Parz commented on Hoko's job. "Man, if Casa had a job like that I'd be set. I just need to look at folk to have them running. Mind you... I already bring trouble to Casa without trying." The curse of his scary looks, or at least the fear he brought to the majority who saw him. 

"We lost my little brother. Some asshole looking for revenge and taking it out on the wrong people." Putting it bluntly, but it did help a little to just say it out in the open, especially since Hoko could understand the feeling. "I'd love to just run around scaring everyone I see, but I have to limit it to those who try and bite me first, you know? Having a reputation as the biggest, baddest lion around sounds good until I start having hunters on my tail." Because even if Parzival perfected his skills around canines, they always had ways to cheat. Their fancy hands let them hold weapons or keep at range, forcing Parzival to be more careful. 

Hoko did provide a different option, one that had Parzival beaming. A spar then? How very Cavalier. However out here with Hoko, Parz got the idea that he didn't need to hold back quite as much. 

"Lose? That's only if I keep my claws in. And out here, I don't need to be quite so Cavalier." The cat growled, lowering himself into a more battle ready stance. He didn't give Hoko all that long to prepare; the moment he was close to the ground, the cat was using his tucked up limps to then spring forwards into a pounce to try and knock his friend into the dirt.

[+000] | Ooc: wordcount 279
Hokori ◈ Tanaka

▫I̴ ̶a̵m̶ t̸h̴e̸ ̵Pa̶i̷n̷,
▫The Rea̶̡̚p̸̦̈er̵̗̓, 
▫T̶̙͝h̶̢̄ḛ̶͛ Struc̷̙̿t̴̥͆ǘ̷̩re o̴͕̿f̵͉͝ ̶̧̛Lie̷͍̚s̷͛.̴̦̑.

Hoko did not have the wherewithal to consider the fact that her buddy might not have cared for his personal space being invaded, but she was definitely appreciative of the classic kitty-cat hello. The giant dog beamed as her feline friend bumped her, tail wagging so violently that it was a miracle it didn't carry her off into the sky. 

"Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I get to keep whatever I take and all they get in return is a helping hand when there's trouble around."

Which she would have lent anyway. Hokori was not the type of person to turn down an excuse to brawl, especially not when her family was in danger. 

She winced at the explanation, sympathy brought on by the similar situation she had found herself in. "I'm sorry, that's not easy. My siblings were hurt pretty badly and I lost a good friend. I know the feeling." 

They took a different tact than Parz, though. Hokori wanted to become infamous, she wanted people to be aware of her and her great strength. If someone was stupid enough to invade her home they would have no excuse when they found themselves bloodied and broken.

Speaking of, good God was Parz ready to rumble. Hoko had just enough to time stand up and brace herself, the impact of a full-grown wildcat tough to withstand...but she was no deer for him to tear through. The Reaver grunted at the impact but did not yield, throwing a knee out to try and take some of the wind out of the kitty's sails while her huge palms boxed at his ears. 

⇚══════════════════════════════════════════════⇛

Parz could feel empathy pretty well, Casa was full of emotional wolves who liked nothing more than to try and hide how they were feeling, so the feline had gotten some good practise on how to 'feel canine'. He felt like he understood how they worked pretty well, so he could feel Hoko's frustration from her previous situation of losing people and having family hurt. It was similar to Parz's anger and shame... so why not let some emotion out in a good fight? 

'Claws in' wasn't going to be a rule for this battle, also Parzival would refrain from aiming anywhere that might maim his friend should he get a good strike in, but also the feline was confident on Hoko's ability to take some hits. Plus he felt like she was up for being slapped and scratched by a lion; odds are she'd give it back just as much. Which was certainly true with her response to his quick lunge! A kick to his stomach had Parzival flexing the toes on his back feet to keep his grip on the ground and not get knocked over, whilst the smack around his head shook the feline's head a bit and made him need to drop on his front feet to avoid getting too stunned. 

A fine hit, but Parz returned it with a vicious growl and a series of swipes towards Hoko's legs, now that he was down low on the ground again and looking to return the favour. Hoko could need to dodge fast or face some lovely cat scratches across her shins and knees.