'Souls RPG
[AW] Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Printable Version

+- 'Souls RPG (https://soulsrpg.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Archived Memories (https://soulsrpg.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Dead Topics (https://soulsrpg.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+---- Forum: Dead phpBB (https://soulsrpg.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=151)
+---- Thread: [AW] Picked over by the worms and weird fishes (/showthread.php?tid=31343)

Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Andrew Winthrop - 3 January 2017

[html]

Word Count → 352 :: Optime Form -- This takes place in 1F12 of the D'Neville Mansion.

Redtooth had never had a room to himself before. Not even in Homestead did he have that sort of privacy. He shared a single room with three others: his mother and two brothers. It was cramped, and it was dirty. That wasn't to say it was a bad experience. In fact, the memories of the time he spent with his family were fond. But even still, when he learned of the mansion that lay nestled within the forest beyond the dampwood, and that there was room within, Redtooth knew he needed to stake a claim for himself.

With his bag slung over his shoulder and his still burning cigarette pressed between his lips, Redtooth scaled the front steps to the front porch of the mansion. It was an old building, but from the outside, Red could see that it was maintained apart from natural weathering. He tossed what remained of his cigarette onto the porch and he stamped it out with his foot before he made his way inside.

The floorboards creaked loudly in the atrium. To his left was an open door to a library. To his right, a shut door. Redtooth walked slowly forward toward the main stairs, ignoring the branching pathways from the lobby, and he looked around. Eventually, he turned right toward a hallway. The hallway was lined with shut doors, but the door at the end was slightly ajar. A crack. The brass hinges creaked with age as he pushed the wooden door all the way open. Inside was an unclaimed room -- it was lightly furnished with blankets and pillows, but there were no personal affects. Unlike the rest of the mansion, it did not bear the same patina of age. It was clean.

At the end of the room was a window from which light poured in. Underneath was a thick, handwoven blanket and pillow strewn across the ground. "Awesome," he couldn't help but mutter as he was instinctually drawn to the blanket. Redtooth grabbed an end with his hand and admired its softness.

<style>
.raze-txt14-1-box {background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/2HycRYy.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:296px; height:168px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.raze-txt14-1 {font-family:'droid serif', times, serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: left; margin:0 auto; width:95%; line-height:25px;}
.raze-txt14-1 p.ooc {opacity:0.7; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-indent:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
.raze-txt14-1 p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.raze-txt14-1 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.raze-txt14-1 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Candela Espinoza - 4 January 2017

OOC: Have Dela's first post :P

IC:
What Candela was doing, had anyone been around to witness it, could certainly be described as skulking. It was important to her to get her bearings, but it was stubborn pride which dictated that she do so without asking for help from anyone. Even though she had clan mates now, Candela had vowed to remain independent – fiercely so. Had any kind soul approached and offered help, she would have attempted to see them off with a hard glare and a stiff shake of her head. Come to think of it, she hadn’t actually spoken to anyone yet – not since she had been accepted into the clan. Most seemed to have their own business to see to, and that was fine as far as Dela was concerned. She needed to take it all in at her own pace and on her own terms.

The mansion, looking weathered but mammoth, had naturally caught her attention. In Ceniza Valley there had been some large and grand ranches with decent amounts of land to their name, but Candela didn’t think any single structure had been as vast as the mansion looked. She could get lost in there – and that would be just fine. Even Dela wasn’t exactly sure why she wanted to fly under the radar for a while, but it felt safer to do so.

The scents which intermingled within the building made the Coydog’s head spin for a moment. She snapped herself out of it with a brisk shake of her head, eyes narrowing as she strode down the first corridor she reached. Door upon door was shut, a signal that these rooms were either claimed or otherwise wouldn’t welcome Candela’s snooping nose.

The last door of the hall was open, and the sharp scent of cigarette smoke poured through it. Dela’s stride didn’t break as she made her way towards the open door, nose twitching. Her hands found the door frame, one on each side, and she stuck her head into the room with a sniff. At the far end stood a male: tawny, with black hair, apparently stroking a blanket. Dela’s eyebrows rose.

“This your room?”

[356]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Andrew Winthrop - 4 January 2017

[html]

Word Count → 248 :: Optime Form -- I feel honored.

Redtooth was a man who found himself constantly surprised with the little things. The blanket he held was a small thing in the grand scheme of life -- nearly insignificant. But, Redtooth saw it as something more. It was a comfort that he had never once been afforded. He saw, hidden deep within the blanket's mountain-like folds, was a fresh start and a new home. He lifted the a corner of the quilt to his face and he shut his eyes. As the blanket brushed gently against his cheek, Redtooth could smell the scent of musty cotton.

It was then that the open door creaked. Still holding the blanket close, Redtooth turned to see a woman standing casually in the doorframe. He smiled. "It is now," Redtooth replied. "Just moved in." Bending over, Redtooth allowed the leather satchel, the bag the contained all of his meager belongings, to fall from his shoulder to the floor with a plop. With a well placed kick, the bag was slid across the floor to eventually come to rest against the far wall. "See?"

He then made a motion for the stranger to join him by the makeshift bed. "'Mere," he said. "Check this shit out." Of course, he felt that the stranger wouldn't be as enthusiastic about the little things as he was, but Redtooth wanted to share his joy with somebody. Anybody. "Touch it," the coywolf insisted as he held his end of the blanket toward the woman.

<style>
.raze-txt14-1-box {background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/2HycRYy.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:296px; height:168px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.raze-txt14-1 {font-family:'droid serif', times, serif; font-size: 14px; text-align: left; margin:0 auto; width:95%; line-height:25px;}
.raze-txt14-1 p.ooc {opacity:0.7; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; text-indent:0px; padding:10px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Candela Espinoza - 19 January 2017

Dela wasn’t one to notice the little things – she was more keen on the big, big things. Things which couldn’t escape notice, things which soared and loomed. She had always admired the vast ranches of Ceniza, and it had been much to her chagrin that she had been unable to call one her own. She liked the Mansion so far for its vastness and even if she ended up living somewhere else she had a feeling she would be visiting this place often.

“Yeah, I see,” the woman remarked, her gaze sliding from the male to the bag which had come to rest against the wall. She returned his smile, though hers was more of a smirk, as if she had assessed him and found him to be worthy of her time.

At the male’s insistence, the Coydog sauntered into the room, coming to stand at his elbow and regarding the blanket with a crinkled muzzle. It looked to Dela like a blanket, not too dissimilar from any other. She couldn’t for the life of her see what was so special about it. One slender hand reached out to touch the fabric, feeling the winkles where it had been folded or rumpled – and still she wasn’t sure what was blowing the male’s mind.

“Soft,” she muttered, turning her pale eyes up and onto his face. Her nose was still wrinkled in slight confusion. “Y’never felt soft before, wey?”

[238]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Andrew Winthrop - 20 January 2017

[html]

Word Count → 191 ::

Oh God. Redtooth figured that the stranger likely thought that he was some sort of crazy person. It was an easy line to draw, especially after seeing how enthusiastic he was over something as droll as a simple blanket. Unenthusiastic as she may have been, she did as she was bid, and she reached out to touch the fabric gently with a single hand. Redtooth watched expectantly with a bright spark of joy flashing in his eyes.

Of course I've felt soft before!" he sneered jokingly. He rolled his eyes in a playful manner. "I've just never owned anything soft before. Big difference!" It was just such a far cry from before -- from sleeping in the gutter to living in mild luxury (if one could call a simple blanket luxury).

His grip around the blanket fell slack and the corner fell back to the floor. He laid his gaze upon the stranger and smiled. "I'm Redtooth," he introduced. "'S'your name?" He briefly wondered if she lived in the mansion like him -- it seemed likely to him, seeing as she had heard the commotion. "You live here too?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Candela Espinoza - 22 January 2017

Candela could see the joyful glint in the male’s eye – could see it, and could sense that her response to the (admittedly nice and soft) item might quash it. She just couldn’t bring herself to pass her reaction through a filter, even if it would be more appropriate to nurture that spark of excitement. They were part of the same clan, but both were new to Inferni – there was no camaraderie there yet, and Dela was still intent on keeping others at arm’s length.

His tone was light, playful even, but that didn’t stop the Cenizan from bristling slightly at his sneer and the rolling of his eyes. “If you never felt it before,” she began, brows lifting quizically, “And you just got here – seems to me like maybe you don’t own it, you just found it.” There was a hint of a challenge in her tone, but it came with practised airiness. As keen as Candela was on arguing, she had learnt many moons ago not to let it appear that the outcome mattered to her. She offered a bright smile.

“Candela Espinoza.” She introduced herself with a wave of her tail and a perk of her ears. “Nah, don’t live anywhere yet – only just got here. Wanna know the place before I choose my casa, y’know?”

[218]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Andrew Winthrop - 27 January 2017

[html]

Word Count → 293 ::

Redtooth shrugged and rolled his eyes in a playful manner. "Well yeah, I did find it," he replied, shooting his new acquaintance a wry smirk all the while. Of course, it crossed his mind that the room was already claimed -- but Redtooth figured that since there were no personal belongings strewn about, that it was occupant free. It just didn't look lived in; the whole room was pristine. Even the floor was swept. There were only two options: either the current occupant was completely anal-retentive about cleanliness, or the room was good to claim for himself. He crossed his arms in the face of her friendly challenge. "Haven't you heard the sayin' 'finder's keepers'?"

"I found it, so now it's mine," he then asserted. He returned her bright smile and his voice remained chipper and carefree. After all, weren't there squatters rights? Because that's totally how he thought this sort of thing was supposed to work. "Simple rules for a simple man."

So, she was new around here too. That was nice to know -- and for some reason, it made Redtooth feel a fair amount more comfortable around Candela. With this, Redtooth knew that he wouldn't be the only fish out of water in a new, unfamiliar place. "You know, if there's another room open in this wing, it'd be pretty cool to be neighbors." Redtooth was a southern boy, raised on a little thing called Southern Hospitality, which was a mindset in which one's neighbors were a very important aspect of a person's life. Most important of all was the community BBQ. "I can make a mean smoked boar," he offered like a carrot on a stick. "You like barbeque?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Candela Espinoza - 27 January 2017

“And loser’s weepers,” Candela supplied, lips twisting in a smirk. “Si, I heard that before.” Usually Dela would have argued the toss until the cows came home, but she supposed this guy didn’t seem too bad – he could even be an ally, given time and enough gestures of friendliness. Dela would be careful that they remained just that, though – gestures. She wasn’t quite ready to enjoy a real friendship with anyone new.

“Oh, so you’re simple?” she asked teasingly, brows raising. After a moment Dela nodded deeply as if all the pieces of a puzzle had suddenly slotted into place. There was a playful glint in her eye, though, which said that she wasn’t really calling into question Redtooth’s intelligence. He had been smart enough to claim the room which housed the soft blanket, after all, and bright enough to answer back to her challenge.

The Coydog thought that being neighbours could at least provide some entertainment, and the Mansion was certainly grand enough to suit her, but she hadn’t yet settled on it as somewhere she’d want to live. There were certain things – like the burning of her precious herbs – which required a decent amount of privacy, and these corridors seemed awfully busy.

At the mention of food, though, her large ears turned forward once more and a grin swept over her maw. Back in Ceniza, Dela had frequently consumed her prey raw, but she wasn’t unfamiliar with the idea of cooking. It was just not something she’d ever learned. Her smile widened and her tail swung.

“I like food. Maybe I’ll hunt that boar if you can smoke it up real nice for us.”

[276]

Re: Picked over by the worms and weird fishes - Andrew Winthrop - 29 January 2017

[html]

Word Count → 282 ::

With little prompting, she completed the little turn of phrase that had so far been Redtooth's only philosophy. Finder's keepers, loser's weepers. His grin came back with a grand resurgence. Oh, he could already tell that he liked her. This sarcastic banter, it was fun. But unlike Candela, Redtooth's friendly expression was not a well orchestrated gesture (not that Redtooth knew, of course) -- but it was real. It was genuine, as most of his actions were.

In response to her playful quip at the expense of Redtooth's intelligence, the man simply shrugged. "Well, that's up to interpretation I guess," he shot back. By any expense, Redtooth was no genius. In fact, when compared to his brother John, Redtooth had always felt like the dull one in the family. But, he wasn't stupid either. He got by.

"I'm just not that complicated." There. That was a good way to describe it, he figured. After all, Redtooth was nothing more than a simple man of simple pleasures. Life was good that way. No more drama -- not anymore, at least.

Redtooth's expression brightened (if that was even possible at this point) even more when Candela expressed her interest in a barbeque. Apart from family, of all the things Redtooth left behind in Homestead, the big gatherings were what he missed the most. "Good! Yes. Awesome," he replied. "You do that, and I swear to shit -- when you try it, it'll knock your socks off... or whatever the fuck you're wearing on your feet." He looked down and noticed that her feet were bare, just as his. However, he still stood by his hyperbolic expression.

<style>
</style>
[/html]