Canis rufus
I've noticed that there are several Canis Rufus species in the extinct list. Is the Canis lupis rufus playable?
Some of the subspecies have gone extinct, yes -- Canis rufus floridanus and Canis rufus gregoryi -- but the nominative subspecies, Canis rufus rufus, itself is still alive. :) Here's their species page from our guide!
Thank you. I've studied the nominative species throughout school and just wanted to make sure my favourite species was playable!
You're welcome, and ooooh, relevant research and studies?! Hey, if there seems to be anything wrong with our species page -- feel free to critique! ;>

I had a lot of trouble putting together our species guide -- back in, uhm, 2010 I think it was? Scientists can't seem to agree on species-based things. o_o I've read that the red wolf is:

a) Not a real species and was always a coy-wolf hybrid
b) Was a real species, but hybridized too heavily with coexisting coyote and wolf populations to be considered anything more than a hybrid anymore
c) Still a real species, because it always hybridized with coyotes and wolves

... very confusing. ;_; I ended up going with option C, I think?! Hence why it's classified as an "other" rather than a gray wolf or a coyote... which might still be confusing, but IDK how to "decide" when scientists and more serious people than I cannot decide. x3
Most red wolves are hybrids with coyote but there are few (possibly under 100, I haven't done research lately to see if there's more) that are full or at least 90% original red wolf that are being bred and kept at a camp in North Carolina, where they are trying to increase he numbers of none hybrid red wolves. Thanks again for the info, and I'll help if I can!