[DND] high in the halls of the kings who are gone
[html]

He wandered the forest alone, eager to find the hidden trail that would lead him toward Athras Eryns tree house. The King and Lord Regent spent little time together save for the occasional meeting or conversation in the City Square; Iomair found that the man was enigmatic and proved difficult to find. He spent much of his time outside of the main living space of the realm, his living quarters carefully propped up between some of the territory’s largest trees.

The King had left Vodeva in their tiny room – carefully wrapped and bundled in layers of furs and terry cloth.

”Athras!” He called, adjusting the sway of his cloak as he came over a final ridge. ”Lord Regent-“

”You’re close.” Alistair was grinning at him, that head of curly auburn hair marking him clear as day. He smelt like carpentry and wood chips, and Iomair couldn’t help but immediately be put at ease under the man’s charming expression. ”Works almost done, it’s a proper work of art!” Iomair grinned, padding further forward to take in the view that lay just behind the ex-Sol of Casa di Cavalieri.

The tree house was simple in its size, but there were marks of the ornate in its corners.

Iomair stood for a moment before whistling lowly, ”It’s good work-”

”-Great work.”

”Yes, I’m sorry. Great work.” Iomair laughed as he made for the Lord Regents door.

<style type="text/css">
.amarot {width:650px; padding:5px; margin:0px auto; font-family:georgia; text-align:justify; line-height:20px;}
.amarot p {text-indent: 25px; font-size:15px; text-align:justify;}
.amarot p.oocstuff {opacity:.7;border-top:1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, .5); padding-top:3px; padding-left:3px; font-size:11px; text-align:left;}
.amarot npc { letter-spacing:.5px; opacity: .7;font-weight:bold; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(529)

we can assume this happens after SL folks have settled with a few hours to go before the ball

New enough to still smell of shaved wood the Eryn’s treehouse was a marvel of luperci skill. Shaped by experienced hands it had an air that could not be captured by a novice’s hands, with enough flair to seem obvious even to an untrained eye. Though made with human concepts and architecture, the Lord Eryn had provided the carpenter with enough input and stipulations to ensure that it reflected the dwelling places of his forebears however subtle. He was a woodcarver, himself, but no carpenter his talents lie in carving idols and utensils out of fallen wood. So his help was trifling, but lent itself to the decor quite well. Of course that was a matter of opinion as divides lingered even here and one clan’s designs were not the same as another's.

As both men approached a speckled stallion lifted his head. Dwelling beneath the main structure Hasufel had been provided his own niche: a partially enclosed shelter that was enough to shield him from the worst weather while making his access a thing of ease. He could be readied and mounted in short order for both horse and master were creatures of great speed and dexterity. He snorted in greeting, familiar— at least in passing— to the two figures that stopped to admire his master’s lodging.

Dark velvet ears hearkened to the voices below him, the incessant babble of the elderly knight coupled with the King’s gruff rumble. The latter of which caused him to quirk his brow. Iomair had never sought him out, at least not directly. He didn’t even think the man knew where he lived. But it would seem he’d figured it out. Oh joy. Athras did not let the sigh he felt drop from his lips and instead placed the idol he’d been carving upon the surface of a built-in desk.

It was a craft of great detail and the lord had been busily adding more and more. Still, it didn’t feel like enough. It had to be perfect, fit for a queen.

Reluctantly, he removed himself from the bench, ears twitching at the sound of footfalls on the stairs. Funny, he didn’t remember inviting the King up. Were they really that familiar? First name basis? It was harder this time to swallow the sound of his displeasure.

Athras opened the door before Iomair could emerge before it, ignoring the carpenter as he went about his work. Alistair tended to a minor detail below the home in a much improved mood now that Iomair had arrived to ease the tension of Athras’s looming presence. How predictable that one king would flock to another, men of similar background and profession: soldiers and craftsmen. It did little to improve his mood. “Your Grace.” Strands of long silken hair slipped down his slight shoulders as he inclined his head, his expression schooled into feigned delighted surprise and reverence. “To what do I owe the pleasure?” The dark decadence of his voice was a little stiff, owing to his unfavorable mood that Iomair's disadvantageous timing had placed him in. It failed to bleed into his expression, however, and he was genuinely curious as to his sovereign's purpose.

<style>
.athtext p.ooc { padding:0px 5px 5px 3px; opacity:.75; text-indent:0px; text-align:center; }
.athtext p.ooc:after { margin:0 auto; content:''; filter: alpha(opacity=60%); opacity: .30; display: block; border-bottom: 1px solid; padding-bottom: 10px; }
.athtext p.wc { padding:0px 5px 5px 3px; opacity:.75; text-indent:0px; text-align:right; }
.athtext p { margin:10px 20px 0; font-family:Noto Sans; line-height:23px; font-size:15px; }
.athtext b.npc { opacity:.75; }
.athtext b.lang:before { content:'< '; }
.athtext b.lang:after { content:' >'; } </style>[/html]
[html]<div class="athras-sig">

<div class="fancytext">Athras</div><br>
<div class="links"><a href="https://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Characters.AthrasEryn">Character Wiki</a> ❦ <a href="https://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Players.Stormie">Player Wiki</a><br>
</div>
<div id="signature-icons"> <a href="#" class="reply-medium" title="REPLY SPEED: MEDIUM"></a><a href="#!" title="I prefer if you do NOT use graphical tables in our threads. Thanks!" class="no-tables"></a><a href="#!" title="I will roleplay mature material." class="will-mature"></a><a href="#!" class="skill-fighting" title="Athras is skilled with daggers"></a><a href="#!" class="skill-animals" title="Athras is a skilled horseman."></a><a href="#!" class="skill-stealth" title="Athras is skilled in stealth."></a><a href="#!" class="skill-spirituality" title="Athras is a skilled Druid."></a><a href="#!" class="skill-social" title="Athras is charismatic and a skilled politician."></a></div>

</div>

<style type="text/css">
@import url('https://soulsrpg.com/images/icons/postsig/signature-icons.css');
.athras-sig {
margin:0 auto;
width:400px;
text-align:center;
height:320px;
background-image:url('https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/383491898033045504/594714391379705872/athras.png');
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position:top right;
background-size:250px; }
.athras-sig .fancytext {
font-family:'Tangerine', serif;
font-size:70px;
margin-right:150px;
padding-top:150px;
text-shadow:#fff 1px 1px 5px;
}
.athras-sig .links {
font-size:10px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
margin-top:-5px;
text-transform:uppercase;
opacity:0.9;
}
.athras-sig #signature-icons { padding-top:50px; }
.athras-sig #signature-icons a { margin-right:15px; border-radius:5px; opacity:.55; filter:alpha(opacity=55%); transition:200ms linear all; -moz-transition:200ms linear all; }
.athras-sig #signature-icons a:hover, .athras-sig #signature-icons a:focus, .athras-sig #signature-icons a:active { opacity:1; filter:alpha(opacity=100%); }
</style>
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Tangerine" rel="stylesheet">[/html]
[html]

Iomair raised a hand to gently feel the edge of some of the work Alistair had done on the carvings that littered the edges of Athras’ tree house. As the man leaned over a nearby railing to greet him Iomair was caught up in how this scene reminded him so much of the old land that they had left behind. Athra’s hair hung silkily over his shoulders, the shine of it catching whatever sunlight managed to peek out from beneath the cloud covered sky. His robes were reminiscent of Taur splendor, and Iomair bowed his head gently as he spoke, ”I thought I would come see your new home.”

He gestured to the man who continud his work, ”He’s done quite well.”

Iomair cleared his throat, ”I also thought we could discuss the Salsolan delegation – they brought us much more than I assumed they would.”

The horses had been presented by a pale man with a wolfish face, and Iomair had inspected each of them – patting necks and checking hooves as the man explained each of the animals histories and training. He hadn’t expected for their wagon to come laden with so many goods, but now that it was all packed away and the remainder of the realm prepared for the call to court it left the King and his Lord Regent time to discuss their next move. The Queen had not come with her people, and Iomair wondered what it was that had her remaining behind.

”Vodeva is at the Bastion ensuring that it is ready for tomorrow.”

Smile

<style type="text/css">
.amarot {width:650px; padding:5px; margin:0px auto; font-family:georgia; text-align:justify; line-height:20px;}
.amarot p.oocstuff {opacity:.7;border-top:1px solid rgba(0, 0, 0, .5); padding-top:3px; padding-left:3px; font-size:11px; text-align:left;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(377)

The Lord played off his King’s reasoning lightly. “Unannounced?” He teased, the Half-Shadow’s smile mild with mirth, though the eyes were sharper. Cunning. “And if I were indisposed?” The dark russet of his robes gently brushed the floor as he entered the dim interior, assuming the King would follow. “I think only of you, Your Grace. Some things are, after all, private affairs.” He so loved to entertain, it wasn’t an unlikely concern. Some of the best battles were often fought in the bedroom, as Iomair would know.

“With proper guidance, yes. He has.” The carpenter was no friend of his and Athras did little to hide it. He dismissed the subject with cool assertion. They weren’t about to discuss Alistair.

The carpenter seemed to be feeling quite the same and dismissed himself without preamble. “I think I’m about finished, if you’ll excuse me.” Athras waved him off without a second thought, feeling decidedly more at ease now that he had the King to himself.

He guided Iomair to one of a few carved benches, gliding past the tree hollow shrine where Nanin’s carved wooden eyes seemed to follow malevolently. The hollow had a distinct aroma of moss and loam, cracked bone and something far more distinct: copper. Athras did little to draw his King’s gaze to the crimson stain that accompanied fresh offerings.

He settled into a seat at his desk and from there he watched His Majesty with great interest. “Did you doubt my capabilities?” He asked, canting his head ever so slightly. The druid’s eyes were bright in the dimly lit space, alive in their clay and shadow mask. “I, we.” He assented averting his eyes briefly. “Entreated them for aid and they agreed, and now you complain that it was more than you anticipated?” His hands were in his lap he leaned forward slightly, curious. “Pray tell, what were you expecting?

Had age perhaps dulled the King’s memory? Did he not remember the scent of the rippling sea as they stood on sandy shore: the darkling queen’s cardinal stare as they discussed terms and made arrangements. Should they be perplexed their benefactors held up their end of the bargain?

At mention of Vodeva Athras’s expression became curious indeed. “And how is Her Majesty?”

<style>
.athtext p.ooc { padding:0px 5px 5px 3px; opacity:.75; text-indent:0px; text-align:center; }
.athtext p.ooc:after { margin:0 auto; content:''; filter: alpha(opacity=60%); opacity: .30; display: block; border-bottom: 1px solid; padding-bottom: 10px; }
.athtext p.wc { padding:0px 5px 5px 3px; opacity:.75; text-indent:0px; text-align:right; }
.athtext p { margin:10px 20px 0; font-family:Noto Sans; line-height:23px; font-size:15px; }

<div class="links"><a href="https://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Characters.AthrasEryn">Character Wiki</a> ❦ <a href="https://wiki.soulsrpg.com/index.php?n=Players.Stormie">Player Wiki</a><br>
</div>
<div id="signature-icons"> <a href="#" class="reply-medium" title="REPLY SPEED: MEDIUM"></a><a href="#!" title="I prefer if you do NOT use graphical tables in our threads. Thanks!" class="no-tables"></a><a href="#!" title="I will roleplay mature material." class="will-mature"></a><a href="#!" class="skill-fighting" title="Athras is skilled with daggers"></a><a href="#!" class="skill-animals" title="Athras is a skilled horseman."></a><a href="#!" class="skill-stealth" title="Athras is skilled in stealth."></a><a href="#!" class="skill-spirituality" title="Athras is a skilled Druid."></a><a href="#!" class="skill-social" title="Athras is charismatic and a skilled politician."></a></div>

</div>

<style type="text/css">
.athras-sig {
background-image:url('https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/383491898033045504/594714391379705872/athras.png');
.athras-sig .fancytext {
}
.athras-sig .links {
}
.athras-sig #signature-icons a { margin-right:15px; border-radius:5px; opacity:.55; filter:alpha(opacity=55%); transition:200ms linear all; -moz-transition:200ms linear all; }
.athras-sig #signature-icons a:hover, .athras-sig #signature-icons a:focus, .athras-sig #signature-icons a:active { opacity:1; filter:alpha(opacity=100%); }
</style>
<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Tangerine" rel="stylesheet">[/html]
[html]

Iomair sat patiently as Athras spoke, listening as he always did with a face that did not waiver from its empathetic expression. The Eryn boy had been chosen for his noble blood – blood the was as old as the practices that decorated his shrine. He had proven to have a silver tongue, one that the Salsolan Queen had been eager to listen to – and in their recruitment many had flocked to their rank after speaking with their Lord Regent.

“I, we.”

Iomair cleared his throat and tipped his head, ”With my blessing.”

”You are mistaken Lord Eryn, for I am not complaining.” Iomair straightened in his chair to regard Athras fully, ”We would do well to be wary – there is far more here than what was bargained for on that distant shore.” He thought of the errant merchant daughter, Antiope, who had turned out to be none other than Clementine Salcedo – a diplomat from their benefactors Kingdom.

They had brought horses, chickens, spices, blankets and more. All good items that would see them through to the spring.

Her words had rung like a warning to him, and he would be loath to ignore it.

”I expected a favor and not a debt.”

Alistair left them, and Iomair watched him go quietly.

"Her side still aches. The cold does not help her any."

Smile

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(567)

*politics intensifies*

If the King heeded his warning he made no note of it. It must have already been circulating around the kingdom that Lord Eryn had a penchant for entertaining fine company. During which points in time, he preferred not to be interrupted. He didn’t press the matter but felt the snub all the same. With the subject of Salsola breached however, he had no choice but to surrender to the topic at hand.

Athras caught his slip too late, but it did bring the matter into greater clarity. “Was it?” He asked, even boldly. “Not at first, Your Majesty. Credit where it’s due, it was I who paved the way.” It was fortuitous that Willow’s directions had led him astray for if not for her he might never have met the Witch Queen and her people of thorns. And where would they be now if not for them? Destitute more or less, with more mouths than they could reasonably feed. Just now the cold of winter began to settle into his bones, a foreboding sign that told the druid the coming days were bound to test their faiths and fortune. He knew better than to dismiss his senses and listened to his body in much the same way as he heeded the whistling wind through swaying branches.

He regarded his King straight-backed and benched, rigid as if hewn from stone. Athras himself was restless, he did not sit quite as still and evaded his sovereign’s gaze. However, Iomair’s warning did not go unheeded. “A favor is just a debt of uncertain terms, and by your own definition, that is exactly what this is. A favor, my King.”

“If it worries you so, allow me to offer some comfort.” He rose from his seat, walking without purpose to the shrine as he looked upon it idly. His fingers came down to caress the wicked antler tines of Nanin’s ethereal form given shape by his own hands. “Over the course of the Cavalieri Ball, I believe I made great strides towards two of our neighbors. The Cavaliers themselves, and the Mistwalkers, I believe you’ve heard of them? Saga D’Angelo the Ursachon of Mistfell Vale appeared all too willing to give me an audience, and Aldora Knight, a relation of the Lune himself, was more than pleased by my company. With your blessing.” He paused to regard Iomair with his too-bright eyes. “I am prepared to pursue them both.”

“Do you follow? The more allies we have the lighter this burden weighs upon us. Once we strengthen ourselves, our stores, and have a fair few more friends behind us we are free to decline their requests as we see fit. I don’t quite know the details yet, but it feels to me that there is bad blood between our very good friends and our new acquaintances. If need be, it would be all too easy to pit them against each other.” The smile that formed on his long muzzle was serpentine, his eyes alight in their clay and shadow mask. Contracts were not binding unless they were signed in blood and no such exchange had occurred.

Athras Eryn was not beholden to anyone.

He hummed at the mention of Vodeva’s condition, nodding his head as if in solemn acknowledgment, however, that wasn't the purpose of his questioning. “And has she forgiven you yet?” At long-last, the Lord-Regent played his hand.

<style>

</div>

</div>

<style type="text/css">
.athras-sig {
.athras-sig .fancytext {
}
.athras-sig .links {
}
</style>
[html]

It was easy to forget that Iomair Nartholiel was a man of war. Once, nothing had been more important to him than the swinging of his sword; the sweet song that the metal had made as he’d fought in the name of his clan. In his youth he had been hot headed and brash, though as his siblings had passed on and left him behind something had changed. He got married, had children. Shouldered a different burden that left him pacing like a wild animal that had been caged.

War. It had released him, a thunderous animal prepared to defend until his dying breath. He had left a litter of bodies in his wake, each life ended a promise that his future would be different.

And it was. Iomair felt his fists clench against the arms of his chair, his claws pricking the wood before he allowed his hands to settle in his lap. ”Enough Athras.” He growled, allowing himself a stern toss of his head, ”Enough.” It was a quiet rumble that reverberated through them – electric and old as time. "There is no room for ego in this."

"A relationship with New Caledonia should be earned and not passed out. We are stronger now then we were when we first founded thanks to Salsola," He smiled at the Lord Regent, "And I am not interested in having our people be bystanders of another war." He whet his lips and took a moment to gather his thoughts before gazing at the man with the too-bright eyes and smiling at him gently. "I put my trust in you when I asked you to be my Lord Regent."

He ran his hands through his beard, "And if you believe extending an olive branch to both packs will help us continue to move forward, then you may do so." He made another sound and offered another smile before standing to clasp his hands behind his back, "With my blessing."

He made to pace, peering through a slotted window before picking a piece of lint from his collar and discarding it with a soft sight. His voice went soft with regret as he responded. "As much as a woman scorned can forgive such a thing."

Smile

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
<style>
.ATHbottom {width:625px; margin:0px auto; font-family:'cairo';}
.ATHbottombody {padding:0px; text-align:justify;}
.ATHbottom p {margin:4px; font-size:17px; line-height:25px; padding:10px 0px 10px;}
.ATHbottomimg {line-height:80px; background-image:url("https://i.imgur.com/PWbiPJP.jpg"); border:1px solid #000;
background-repeat:no repeat; height:80px; background-position: top center; border-radius: 10px 10px 10px
10px;}
.ATHbottomimgbot {line-height:80px; background-position:bottom center;}
.ATHbottom b {font-size:18px;}
.ATHbottom b.npc {filter:alpha(opacity=75%); opacity:.75;}
.ATHbottom-bar {line-height:25px; width:100%; margin:0px auto; border-collapse:collapse;}
.ATHbottom-ooc {font-size:13px; font-family:'cairo'; text-align:left; width:70%; text-indent:5px; vertical-align:middle;}
.ATHbottom-wc {font-size:20px; font-family:'unica one'; text-align:right; width:30%; letter-spacing:4px; padding:5px;}
.ATHbottom-credit {font-size:13px; text-align:center; padding-top:5px;}
</style>
[+288]

Athras Eryn was a clever man, and clever men more often than not encounter problems of their own making. He stepped too far and was rebuked.

The High King’s growl silenced him though it did not stop him from seething. He’d mistaken Iomair’s affable disposition for passivity, it was easy to forget that he was iron and salt, forged in the flames of war to rise anew— as a king. But Athras Eryn knew of the politics that had landed him his throne, and they had been hard-won. Iomair Nartholiel was not uncontested...Even now.

“I said if need be,” he uttered, “should they ask us for anything more than we are willing to give.” The lord sounded like a petulant child, scowling as he looked away. “we could hide behind new friends, create a shield between us and them!” But the point was moot. The King had spoken.

He rested his hand on the tree trunk above the hollow, leaning into his arm as he gazed upon the figure of Nanin. There was fury in the slant of the idol’s wooden eyes. “I think it’s the best course of action, and if you trust me you will know that whatever deals I make will benefit the Realm.” And was he not a part of the Realm?

The King’s answer surprised him. There was no vitriol, no anger at a secret unleashed. His voice was soft, and Athras blinked with incredulity. “You knew?” The Lord-Regent and High King had tread familiar paths with familiar people. He’d expected it would unsteady him, bring him to his knees, or rip a threat from his bearded lips.

It did not rouse the king’s ire to hear the shadow knew his secret.

template by veldt, image by image credit
[/html]

</div>

</div>

<style type="text/css">
.athras-sig {
.athras-sig .fancytext {
}
.athras-sig .links {
}
</style>
[html]

It all transported him backward.

In the beginning, Vodeva had been a woman made of flowers. She had filled every one of his days with a joyous sense of pride that had been mirrored in the faces of their young children. As a new family they had lived and breathed one anothers ambitions and hopes – though as the children grew it became obvious that they longed to explore the greater world that lay beyond the edges of their modest homeland.

The flowers had turned to ash after that.

For a while Iomair had done everything in his power to appease her, but eventually even that began to wane. He had allowed his heart to wander in her emotional absence and had fallen into the arms of the Heartwards. They stoked a fire that his marriage had been unable to fill, and he had allowed himself to be lost in their twisted silks and perfumed hair.

One day the pair of them came together again, a warm lion and his frigid queen, and Iomair decided that their marriage would survive.

Somewhere along the way he told her and suffered the fall out. Later came the war.

Somethings were always the same.

He came back to the present and ran his fingers over his brow, turning to regard Athras with a chuff.

The old man made a sound in his throat and managed a smile, ”I was not sure, though I had my suspicions.” He held out his hands and sighed softly, "How did you find out? I have no other secrets to offer you, I’m afraid.”

Fennore-.

"So, this shield of yours," his smile grew, the bushy whiskers surrounding his mouth twitching as he glanced back at the tree that Athras leaned against, "When will you go to meet with them?"

Smile

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
<style>
.ATHbottom {width:625px; margin:0px auto; font-family:'cairo';}
.ATHbottombody {padding:0px; text-align:justify;}
.ATHbottom p {margin:4px; font-size:17px; line-height:25px; padding:10px 0px 10px;}
.ATHbottomimg {line-height:80px; background-image:url("https://i.imgur.com/PWbiPJP.jpg"); border:1px solid #000;
background-repeat:no repeat; height:80px; background-position: top center; border-radius: 10px 10px 10px
10px;}
.ATHbottomimgbot {line-height:80px; background-position:bottom center;}
.ATHbottom b {font-size:18px;}
.ATHbottom b.npc {filter:alpha(opacity=75%); opacity:.75;}
.ATHbottom-bar {line-height:25px; width:100%; margin:0px auto; border-collapse:collapse;}
.ATHbottom-ooc {font-size:13px; font-family:'cairo'; text-align:left; width:70%; text-indent:5px; vertical-align:middle;}
.ATHbottom-wc {font-size:20px; font-family:'unica one'; text-align:right; width:30%; letter-spacing:4px; padding:5px;}
.ATHbottom-credit {font-size:13px; text-align:center; padding-top:5px;}
</style>
[+224]

In this light the king looked so very old. The shade of the druid’s sanctuary cast his tawny face in shadow, outlining the cares of age, darkening every fold. The hand on his brow only outlined this fact, snuffing the life from his golden gaze. Perhaps it was the weight of regret, but Athras couldn’t say. What he knew of Iomair’s life was periphery, an outsider’s view. Though Vodeva’s and Athras’s blood shared a common ancestry, the druids of Taur did not forgive. They did not forget.

“You weren’t exactly discreet.” It’d been happenstance, divergent paths that crossed in unlikely places. “You weren’t the only one who made use of the Heartwards’ expertise. Although for a young unwed man it’s understandable, less so for a husband and father.” His smile was sharp and full of pearly teeth. “My family was fond of Her Majesty. I’d tread carefully, Your Grace. My people are not known for forgiveness.” He pitied Iomair for the king had chosen a difficult road. It was not easy to appease a druid’s ire.

His smile was enigmatic. “Yet” he thought dangerously.

“Whenever you see fit to send me, or…” He pondered, the smile growing. “Perhaps the opportunity will present itself in time.” The latter had served them well thus far, and the Cavaliers had already set a precedent with their summit.

template by veldt, image by image credit
[/html]

</div>

</div>

<style type="text/css">
.athras-sig {
.athras-sig .fancytext {
}
.athras-sig .links {
}
</style>