[P] our delicate strands of heartstrings
Quote:Merchant I - Trade goods or services with another packmember
[html]

She had taken long enough to finish the project she had taken on for Inara. Granted, she had knocked it out rather quickly but dithered in actually getting it to her. Plus, with her fortnight-long self-confinement, Kalypso had not seen much of anyone very deliberately. Her presence, or more frequently absence, had likely been noted to be suspiciously spotty. But, she had something to give the woman and she wasn't about to sit on it any longer.

Kalypso had carefully folded it up so that it would not knot-up too much in transit the way particularly fiddly things tended to clump together. On top of that, she had a small head-adornment to add to the mix, too, just to use the remaining bits of sea-glass. There was little left of her stock and she would need to travel back to the Court's land to collect more, but it was likely the pinnacle of her capabilities.

She was strangely proud of what she had accomplished, though. Once, she had been quite crafty and handy, but when she came to the north everything had taken a bit of a skid sideways. Politicking and leading had been more time-consuming than she had ever expected and her crafts had fallen off her radar. Without the need to be ever-present, Kalypso had time to devote to her ropes, twine, and beads. It was nice.

Smiling broadly, she came to Inara's home, smelling the woman's scent near the door. It suggested that she was most likely in. Kalypso did feel a slight pang of anxiousness that came out of nowhere, but she pushed it down. What had she to be worried about, anyway? She ignored the pointed thoughts of Tora wanting to seduce Inara. Or whatever. Not that she thought of it much.

<style type="text/css">
.gbasic {width:650px; padding:5px; margin:0px auto; 'Roboto', sans-serif; text-align:justify; }
.gbasic p {text-indent: 25px; font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif; font-size:15px; text-align:justify;line-height:150%;}
.gbasic p.oocstuff {border-top:1px solid black; padding-top:3px; padding-left:3px; font-size:14px; text-align:center;}
.gbasic npc { letter-spacing:.5px; opacity: .75;font-weight:bold; }
.gbasic b:before, npc:before { contentHuhpen-quote; }
.gbasic b:after, npc:after { content:close-quote; }
.gbasic b.lang:before, npc.lang:before { content:'< '; }
.gbasic b.lang:after, npc.lang:after { content:' >';}
</style>
[/html]
Character WikiPlayer Wiki
Kalypso will be away from New Caledonia from September 10th to the 20th
[html]
Word Count → 662/3000
OOC → Thread prompt : Heartward III - Act as a matchmaker for someone in the court.

Inara had played with dyes trying to get the right color. Discreetly as she could she worked on memorizing the Savoy's eye color. It was hard to get the right shade as she couldn't travel down to Amherst. The weather over the past month or so was not allowing for it, and she still had not found her horse. Work was the only thing to keep her mind off Marlys, both being City Watch and tailoring for Athras, herself, and now the projects she picked up took all of her time and mental compacity. But once her projects were coming to an end, and the snow was not as thick the gypsy knew she would be out there. And once she left Bastion and the whole Square behind she wouldn't come back until she found her mare...dead, or alive. She hoped for the latter outcome.

Inara had the dress itself done and hanging on the wood frame she had Alistair make for her. It was simple and made out of a solid piece. Two of them, one male frame and the other female. It helped her tremendously with all of Athra's demands on her tailoring skills. She laughed and thought soon enough she might need an apprentice if the pack begins to demand her skill. Already she had to make something for the Queen after she saw the ghastly thing she wore to the packs first even. It was just unacceptable. The gypsy figured it would be nice if Iomair could give it to his mate personally and it sat wrapped in an elegant white rabbit furs with a nicely trimmed scrap of linen tied into a bow. She had just finished it yesterday and figured she'd deliver it when she saw Iomair next.

Now Inara just had the finishing details to do for the outfit she was putting together for Kalypso. She didn't give the Savoy any details, just that it would be something special. Inara daydreamed as she got worked the leather to the fabric with the metal pieces. It took concentration, and yet she couldn't help envisioning making all of New Caledonia look elegant. Cause all the other packs to be jealous of the wealth they had in outfits, intelligence, and skilled defenders of the realm. Not in that order by any means...but just imagining all of the realm wearing her works caused the gypsy girl to put a lot of heart and soul into her work.

Inara's left ear flicked and she lifted her head cocking it to one side. Her brows furrowed as she wondered if she was going mad for a second. Then she gave a quiet breathy snicker. She already knew she was mad, but this sound she was sure was real. Her eyes went back down to the corset in her hands so she could finished off the last clasp before placing it down on her table.

Her room wasn't as equipped as the shop she had in the fort, but she liked the warmth and security of the Bastion better.

Sliding her stool out she went to her door and as she got closer she knew who was on the other side. She gave a light but warm smile as she opened the door, "Kalypso! How are you?" Inara was pleased to see her climbing the ranks. She would be a value to the nobility and perhaps they could talk about a guild, though she didn't know yet what she wanted the basis for the guild to be. Still she wanted Kalpyso and Teagan close. After the blizzard incident Inara felt like they made a great team. They were all smart and strong females, and they could bring a value. Inara just didn't know how or what, it was just a feeling.

"Come!" She said standing to the side to give room. "Would you like any tea?" Inara's tone laced with polite inquiry.

<style type="text/css">
@import url('https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto+Slab');
.inaradance {width:90%; margin:15px;}
.inaradance p {font:14px 'Roboto Slab', serif; line-height:180%; text-indent:50px; text-align:justify; }
.inaradance .ooc {opacity:0.7; text-indent:15px; padding:0px; border-bottom:1px; margin-bottom:5px;}
.inaradance .ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.inaradance .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.img {width:300px; padding:10px; float:right;}
</style>[/html]
[Image: inara-derp2.png]
*Please note that the Images are Artist Interpretation of Inara's actual outfits <3 *
[html]

The door swung open and Kalypso stopped herself from straightening to her full height, which was very nearly a foot taller than Inara. As much as she enjoyed the regal bearing such a height provided, it did mean she loomed over those of a more average height. It wasn't her fault her father had been a tall man and he happened to pass that along her way. At least she wasn't as tall as him.

Better than I was a little while ago, she admitted openly, shrugging it off a bit. Had something that did not sit well and left me feeling so sick, she said, dramatically elongating her speech as she entered the room.

Bundle secure in her arms, Kalypso scanned the room quickly as discreetly as she could manage. Her eye landed on the stand with the fabric on it but snapped her gaze back to Inara. Tea was offered and she struggled not to blench at the prospect. She was quite sick of tea, especially the bland, woody flavor of herbs that her family's limited supply managed to eek out.

Ah, thank you, but no. No tea. She shook her head slightly, smiling thinly. She really just wanted a nice juice, cold water, or anything that either had flavor or none at all - not some diluted, boring mess in between the two.

Her eye kept wandering to the green fabric on the stand, but respectful politeness kept her from blatantly walking over to what she knew was for her. Oh, but she was itching to head right for it. Instead, Kalypso raised the carefully folded up material. I think I'd need a table to set this down. I don't want to tangle it. Do you have a space you can clear? She felt a little awkward standing there with it in her hands, but she was not familiar enough to make use of the room as freely as she wanted to.

<style type="text/css">
.gbasic {width:650px; padding:5px; margin:0px auto; 'Roboto', sans-serif; text-align:justify; }
.gbasic p {text-indent: 25px; font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif; font-size:15px; text-align:justify;line-height:150%;}
.gbasic p.oocstuff {border-top:1px solid black; padding-top:3px; padding-left:3px; font-size:14px; text-align:center;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 286 (948/3000)
OOC → words

Social and behavioral cues rarely were missed by Inara, it was a part of her work she did at Biff's and now working more acutely on it by her heartward status. So, when Kalypso mentioned being sick and even adding flair to her words, Inara merely nodded and wasn't sure how to respond for a good few seconds, "Sounds quite unpleasant...hope you feel better soon. If you're still feeling nauseous or whatever I might be able to see if I have any ginger root. "

Inara shut the door behind them and looked at the bundle beneath her arm then up to her head as it looked to the stand. A small smile kissed her muzzle and she went to her work table just as the Savoy mentioned needing a spot to set down what she could only assume was the work she asked for.

She set aside the extra materials from making the corset making the room for Kalypso's bundle. "Here ya go!" She smiled then glanced back at the dress. "Like the color?" Inara gracefully walked over to the dummy stand. "I just got to rivet the leather straps and embroider the details, then it will be ready for you...thinking a few more days, maybe a week depending on how my Watch duties go."

The gypsy tried to not feel awkward. She liked providing drinks, give her guests something, but the Savoy turned her down. Wine was not on the offer plate because Kalypso mentioned her being under the weather. She thought for a moment, "I have a a water skin...I got it fresh just this morning, would you like some of that?" She inquired curisously.

<style type="text/css">
.inaradance p {font:14px 'Roboto Slab', serif; line-height:180%; text-indent:50px; text-align:justify; }
.inaradance .ooc {opacity:0.7; text-indent:15px; padding:0px; border-bottom:1px; margin-bottom:5px;}
</style>[/html]
*Please note that the Images are Artist Interpretation of Inara's actual outfits <3 *
[html]

Ginger root brought back memories to the islands. It was not very commonly grown but there were a handful of the knobby root in the medicine woman's garden when she had been a child. It was sometimes used for cooking, too, but she remembered it as a spicy, tangy thing that made her lips pucker but her stomach settle. I'll have to ask next time. I didn't think it grew so far north. It had always seemed like a southern plant. Maybe Inara had some from trade.

Kalypso followed after her to the work table, eyes locking firmly on that green dress and whatever else it was she was making on the table. It was as though Cupid had struck her with his famous arrows. Her gaze was hungry, greedy, and eager. It was for her, surely. Inara confirmed as much when she began setting down the beaded garment on the table with care. She eyed the earthy green, a shade significantly different to the one she would have ever picked for herself. But it would have looked good with her coloration, regardless of her preferences. And it was pretty.

She moved to the dummy, slowly reaching a hand for the narrow sleeves that would hug her limbs. It was a very simple garment but that was exactly what she liked in an article of clothing meant to serve as a base. She figured there would be a multitude of ways to dress it up. Most of all, it was new. It was brand new.

Kaly smoothed the fabric where she had shifted it, trying not to whine with neediness. She wanted to take it off the dummy and cradle it against her. She wanted to swing about with it, as though dancing with a dearly beloved jo rather than a garment.

I think it's lovely, she said emphatically. It really was and she could not have meant it more wholeheartedly.

But it was not ready yet and she had to tear herself away from it. Kalypso forced her gaze off of it and to the finished knot-work on the table. She separated the last minute headpiece and set it aside. Carefully, she unfolded the scarf, skirt, whatever it was to expose the dangling beads with their rough shapes. They clicked against one another delicately as she spread it out and lifted it to present to Inara.

I also made a headpiece that's kind of a miniature of this you can tie around your head, or neck, or wherever I suppose, she added, waving the wrap slightly to make the little beaded drops clink and clank.

The internet does not have my vision augh. The wrap is going to be an amalgamation of the following: slightly more complex knot pattern than standard netting, Shape of the beads, and with a fringe of a couple beads. The beads are white or clear since those are extremely common sea glass colors.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 324 (1272/3000)
OOC → words

Kalypso pondered over the tea, but declined once more. Inara smiled warmly, "Oh no, it doesn't grow up here...not that I have seen." She then reached out and touched the material of Kalypso's--almost completed--dress. "I acquire it through Amherst when available, so if I still do have some, I hope it is still good...been awhile since I got any fresh."

Inara watched as Kalypso came to look at the dress and feel the material she used. Her brown eyes looked up to peer into Kalypso's to read her better. The seamstress felt her heart swell with pride and joy seeing the spark of want in the Savoy. Inara looked casually away not making any indication that she could see the desire for the dress. Still, she hoped the queen would get as much joy out her her bundle as Kalypso with her own dress.

The Savoy tore away from the dress to reveal the items that she had brought with her, the reason she came. Inara, finally moved when the woman spoke about what all she made for the gypsy Inara was a bit amazed. She only asked for a skirt and she was getting much more. Inara peered around as her left hand reached out to look at the gems. Her heart swooned once more, this time at the stone beads used. The various shades of blues were beautiful, and then the net work. Inara's tail couldn't control its own wagging.

She felt inspired by the head piece and picked it up. "..this is a lovely idea! I love it!" She looked up to Kaly and smiled brightly. "Thank you, I can't wait to use them!" She carefully and lovingly placed the head piece down. She now realized she had more ideas for her own performing outfits.

She looked up to Kalypso, and through the train of thought impulsively asked, "...have you talked to Tora recently? Haven't seen him since before the blizzard."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Kalypso smiled widely at the excitement, unable to ignore the wagging of Inara's tail. Her own was waving slightly, more controlled than a full-blood dog's might have been. Or maybe it was just Kaly herself was more restrained in the betrayals her body could make. As much as she wanted to eradicate any such telltale signs, some things were simply impossible to stop.

Good! I'm glad about that. I burned through my stock of beads so I'll need to get more and spend time boring holes into them, but that's okay. That's what children are for, she added, mischievously. Her trio likely had an inexplicable, collective shiver go up their spines and a sudden sensation of imminent chores. There were plenty of tasks she could set them to do, especially if they were going to be running around abroad anyway. Why not make them go all the way back to the Court's old lands and gather her a bounty of workable stones?

Just as she was about to ask when the next performance was to be, Kalypso's throat tightened to a close again. The question had been so unexpected that she merely blinked at Inara for a few noticeable moments after as she tried to process it. Tora? What about Tora?

She collected herself, though it was too late to salvage that pause. I saw him shortly after it. Otherwise, no, I haven't. I haven't seen much of anyone while I was recovering from the bug. Kalypso looked away, back at the dress on its form. Her body felt off-balance all of a sudden. Her insides were cold and her skin felt flushed. He seemed alright then, though. Why do you ask? Why do you ask me specifically? She looked up as though disinterested.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 372 (1644/3000)
OOC → words

Both of her and the Savoy woman were pleased with their crafts and works. Inara knew she had to finish the dress so Kalypso could enjoy the beauty of it.

Inara sat down on the cushioned chair. She was becoming intensely pleased with learning to sew when she was younger, and practicing her trade more and more. A soft smile caressed her muzzle as she thought. Her train of thought brought her to her old friend, and when she asked the Savoy the mood seemed to change dramatically.

She watched as shock had come upon the woman before her. Inara's ears pressed foward curious as to why such a simple question would through Kalypso off. Perhaps the tension she noticed between them at the Call to Court had not been resolved?

She waited patiently and curiously as Kaly collected herself and answered. The coydog was pleased to know Tora had been seen after the blizzard, and when she was asked why, unlike Kaly, Inara did not hesitate, "Before the blizzard, I found Tora completely wasted in alcohol. He was out in the bitter cold with practically. I brought him back here to sober him up." She paused for a second before going on, "He tried to..." Her brows came together as she trailed off, not sure how to word it. "...I knew he'd flirt with me when drunk at Biff's...but I didn't know he was like that and when I stopped him he got embarrassed."

Inara looked to her work desk and began to fiddle with a metal piece. "I convinced him to sober up little, and at least sleep off the drink." There was noticeable worry and concern on her face. "I am worried about him. He drinks too much and has so much self loathing....he didn't want to open up and talk about it much. I haven't seen him since that day..."

Inara didn't know what Kalypso and Tora's relationship was, if there was a relationship. She just could tell at the Call to Court that they knew one another, and chances were, if they did then they had to have interacted at some point from then to now.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Somehow, she was not remotely surprised that Tora had come drunk and propositioned Inara. It really did not shock her, but it was alarming how much it annoyed her. He was such a hypocritical asshole to deride her night with Athras and then to turn around and try to sleep with Inara. It really irked her. It really, truly irked her. Men were such hypocritical creatures at the best of times and they were only horny monsters the rest of the time. God, where had all the good men gone?

Was there not a god left for her?

Kalypso's jaw clenched tightly as she struggled to contain the unwelcome surge of displeasure that bubbled in her throat. It was something that made her fingers itch to either destroy or create, anything to get the manic energy out and away from her flesh. Otherwise, she would have found Tora and shaken the stupid out of his head herself if a cold night in a damp shed wouldn't.

But her anger fizzled as quickly as it had risen. She deflated from the rapid climb and descent, shoulders sagging as she fiddled with a piece of thread that had stuck to the surface of the dress. She pulled it away from the fabric for it only marred the surface and was not even attached to the garment.

Can I trust you, Inara? she asked quietly, knowing that most folk would have answered quickly with a yes. But she expected a bit more than that from the Heartward. Because what I can say would need to stay in this room. And only in this room. There was enough of everyone else's plates.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 260 (1904/3000)
OOC → words

The metal piece she was twirling between her thumb and index finger had flung away into the linen just to the left of the table. As she retrieved the metal rivet the tension that surrounded the taller woman seemed to deflate and her question caused Inara to become very curious, her brows coming together. She left the rivet and put her hands on her lap, her mind thought over the question. Trust was a very important thing to the gypsy. She didn't trust lightly, but she did her best to be trustworthy. "Yes, you can trust that I will keep my word. Nothing said from this point will leave this room." she paused to look at the door, "hold on."

Inara then stood, striding with purpose to the door. She made sure no one was outside the door and the halls empty then securely shut the door. "Okay," She said after making sure nothing Kalypso said would be overheard or leaked from the room. Next, she moved to her tea pot and poured water from her water skin and added some leaves. She placed the pot on the flat stone she had placed right in the hearth next to the flames of the fire.

Inara wasn't sure what was going to be shared but she felt like she needed to clear her head, and let her worry for the older pack male go. Kalypso had something important and sensitive to share. So with her tea pot warming she gave Kalypso her full attention.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Trickle by slow trickle, Kaly let out her secrets. She did not want to let out all her fears, tears, and frustration in a single deluge because she had been on the receiving end of that sort of thing; it had been a miserable experience and was a continuous problem for her. She did not want to lay it all out on the table like a seller with wares because there was just too much to unpack and none of it was neatly packaged for dissemination.

Kaly watched Inara open the door and even check the hallways outside the door. She greatly appreciated the gesture, though she did severely doubt that anyone would be keen enough to listen in to the conversation. It was hardly going to impact anyone else. At least, ever again.

She let out a deep breath and sank herself slowly into a nearby seat. During the party, I may have exercised some liberties with my favors and Tora had been less than approving, she began, keeping the Lord Regent's name out of the conversation. She was not one to spread rumors, but collect them, and she was not about to pass on a potentially problematic bit of gossip about a higher ranking person. Especially one who had proven to be somewhat of an asshat.

He.. basically drunkenly told me that he was jealous that I didn't give him that, uh, favor, and we ended up yelling. Because they always ended up yelling, because that was who she was and what she was. She was a storm at the end of the day. After the blizzard, he came to apologize and.., Kaly paused, faltering in her words as she fiddled with her necklaces.

She hadn't even really mentioned it to anyone yet, that thing that Tora had said. She had merely been tumbling it around her brain, hoping for an answer that was not forthcoming. It still lingered, lurked. She had no idea what to say.

He said he wanted to court me and I haven't given him an answer. Because she had no clue what she even felt. She had been courted once - a seemingly archaic term - and ended up decapitating the man. To say she had problems with the concept was perhaps an understatement.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 341(2245/3000)
OOC → words

Inara's paranoia compelled her to make sure the place was secure for what was about to be unfolded before her. She hadn't known what the secret was, but it was important to Kalypso. Inara would treat it with care.

The woman began and she followed along, and realized she would need to do some deciphering. Liberties? Favors? Her brows lowered and came together in thought. Even though Inara herself had never participated in the act, she knew very well what Kalypso was censoring. It only took her a second or two to realize what she was insinuating. When she did her brows rose, "Oh, I see.." Her ears went forward as well and she continued to listen. Inara could even relate to the situation that Kalypso had found herself in with Tora. She herself had a near similar situation with Percival about Tora. Oddly, on more than one occasion.

Inara's rich brown eyes looked as she began to play with her necklaces. This was a hard subject for Kalypso. It took her a beat to finally say it and when she did Inara leaned back, and the kettle then began to whistle. She shifted her weight to remove the kettle, "So...you're not sure?" She asked with a caring and kind tone in her voice. She poured the steaming liquid into her dark brown wood cup. She placed the teapot near the fire, but not close enough to reignite the boiling. "Are you attracted to him?" Her eyes looked up to meet Kaly's own.

Inara was sure Kalypso had asked herself all the questions she was about to bring up to her. Still, talking it through always helps. It seemed to the gypsy that saying the words rather than thinking them help bring the feelings forward. Milos always helped her when she was too stuck in her own head, and Percival always seemed to fill that role with her. Talking out one's feelings was a healthy and rational way of dealing with them.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Confidence was something that Kalypso had in massive quantities regardless of what was going on around her. Most of the time, at least. However, with everything happening between them that bordered emotion and lust, it was much more grey than she was comfortable with. She could be confident but unsure, even if the two seemed to be at odds with one another.

Kalypso pulled a face as the kettle began to whistle with the water boiling. Tea, always tea. Why was there nothing else to drink that was warm? Why did no one just happen to have spiced wine or anything other than tea? At least she had declined and would not need to try to choke down the stuff to be polite. Honestly, she was tired of stale herbs. She wanted spice. She wanted heat.

I honestly don't know, she said with every bit of genuine feeling she could muster. She had never really thought of Tora in that sort of way until he declared as much as she was forced to begin reevaluating him. I had put him in the same place as I had Hibiki, though probably a bit further, she added with a hum. Her necklaces clattered against each other as she fidgeted. Love or like as though they were family, but sort of out of my field of vision, I guess. Hibiki was always looking or waiting for Kadir. He is one of my closest friends and I had put Tora to the side in the same direction. I didn't even consider it an option. Until he removed his polite facade.

Thyri would have understood her hesitation immediately, but Inara would not. She paused, thinking, debating, deciding. As much as she wanted to keep it in and let the past die, it was coming back at her without pause. It was relentless. I just have had some really bad luck with.. emotional attachment of that sort. She pulled a face as she tightened her hold on her necklaces, pulling the string taut.

Last man I loved freely I also killed for betraying that love. That was before I even came north. No matter how often she said it or how long it had been, it always sounded angry and bitter. It was a painful festering sore in her chest that refused to go away. Santiago had cursed her, she was sure. She was so sure that Andalusia had, too.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 250 (2495/3000)
OOC → words

The masked white woman listened as she poured her tea. She didn't mutter a word, simply nodding at the appropriate time and looking up before she sat. Inara let herself process what the giant before her was saying. Inara couldn't hide the shock of Kaly's last confession. Why would she kill him? What kind of betrayal happened? She had questions, as betraying love was vague. Was it just love that was betrayed? Because it sounded as though her trust was more damaged if she wanted to protect her heart so fiercely.

Her brows came together and she looked down as the thoughts, questions, and emotions rolled around in her mind. It was sad to be hurt so deeply. The scars weren't on the outside, but deeper within her body. "I don't have to say it, how the pain of a broken heart can't be healed..." She paused and waited for a moment before continuing. "...at least not until you let go of the betrayal. Accepting that it happened, and knowing that everyone is an individual. That just because of the simple similarities, it does not mean what is going on in the heart and head are the same among everyone."

Inara had first hand issues with such feelings. She hated wolves at one point. Feared them. Inara still had issues, it still haunted her but she fought through those feelings and did her best not to project what happened to her clan onto every wolf-like canine or wolf she met.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Kalypso knew that it was a vague statement, a vague and bland declaration without preamble. There was context missing and plenty of emotional baggage left by the side of the road. Of course Inara would not understand the gravity of what had happened, nor did Kaly even fully connect to her past emotions.

It had shaped her, but so had everything that had come about afterward. Had the same thing happened later in life, would she have done exactly as before? Maybe, but if she truly thought about it, she realized she would have made him live with his guilt and shame. She likely would have made him an eunuch instead. Somehow, that seemed crueler than simply killing him.

I don't harbor those sorts of illusions, she said bluntly. I know everyone is different and not everyone is like him. It's hard to forget whispers spoken when they thought you weren't there. Especially when those are whispers to another woman and that she is quite upset at how long it was taking to find my family's fortune. A made-up fortune at the time and it had driven everything. Everything.

She swallowed her rising indignation. She swallowed air, saliva, and words to force her old anger away again. She did not want to choke on her wrath.

If anything, I know Tora is decidedly not like that man because I have far less now than I did as Reine. There was always a "but". But, you've seen his behavior, his tendencies. Is that a project I want to share the burden of? Lord knew she had enough of her own burdens to bear.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 389 (2884/3000)
OOC → words

Kalypso's blunt words caused Inara to cringe a little. She started to doubt her abilities but she refused to give up, she had to encourage herself and Inara found a little hope to grasp when the former Reine referenced voices. The coydog gave an understanding smile before opening her mouth to speak, but the tall woman went on and Inara closed her mouth to listen. She dared not interrupt Kalypso. The one she had fought so hard to get her to open up, and now she was.

Inara's head cocked a little to the right as the vague reference to her past was brought in. She would not pry, but she knew this past would assist her in helping the situation better. It was like Inara was working with her arms tied behind her, but she would not throw in the towel. The challenge racked her brain, and Inara liked to think.

She nodded to Kalypso's verbal acknowledgment that Tora was not like her former relationship, however, she brought to light the real issue. The issue that Inara knew would be any issue with a potential relationship for Tora. She drew in a deep breathe as she felt the weight of the situation. Inara looked down as she thought of all the issues and burdens that Tora had. He too locked them up like Kalypso did.

The pair could either aide one another driving one another to heal from their past wounds, or they could rip one another apart emotionally..and hopefully only emotionally. She took in another deep breath, "Well. That is going to be up to you. I know that doesn't sound helpful, but you have to search yourself. Do you think you could overcome your own past to open up to him? And furthermore, do you think you'd have the patience if he, himself, struggles to open up to you?"

"You do not have to accept his courtship, so I hope you're not feeling obligated. Though, it is very good to take your time, as you are. Matters of the heart are not easy to navigate." Gods knows she isn't very good with it herself. Her eyes looked to the side and down as she thought of Percival for a second before she shooed the thoughts away and refocused back onto the Savoy woman and their moment.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Kaly rubbed at her mouth absently, as though she wanted to soothe the words that were escaping her wagging tongue. She should not have been telling Inara all those things, but it felt like it was a good thing to do. Inara was a Heartsward and while Kaly had a sneaking suspicion it could have been a polite way to say "comfort woman" without any negative implications, she could tell that Inara was decidedly not the sort of woman to bring a person in to her bed for the sake of soothing them.

Not that she really expected Inara to do that with her at all, let alone after the conversation they were in the midst of. She wondered absently if Arran was that sort, though.

I've gotten quite a lot out of him since the Court disbanded, especially after he came here to New Caledonia. I know there's gotta be more, but it's almost horrifying to think that there even could be more. Between the massacre of his family and the various other things in between, it was hard to imagine it being worse.

She reached for her necklaces again, always an exceedingly uncommon nervous habit - rare because she had rarely ever been any sort of nervous that required her to fidget her emotions away. She did sometimes play with them when lost in thought, but it was obvious a compounding of both wracking her brain and the rising annoyance of uncertainty.

God, I don't know, Inara. I don't know the first damn thing of what you're supposed to do in a relationship. I haven't had a 'relationship' since I was just under a year old and living in the islands. She had emphasized relationship, mostly because it had been one on her end but obviously not a true one. How could Kaly know if her behavior had been correct if the whole thing had been an elaborate game of make believe?

Plus, we fight. A lot. She poked at him, he poked back, and then they would yell. It seemed inevitable.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 417 (3301/3000)
OOC → words

Inara watched as the Savoy woman fidgeted with her necklace again. She took a drink of her tea and stood up. "Okay." She spoke in finality before strolling over to her pile of blankets and pillows. Inara rearranged the pillows, "Come here, I'd like to show you a trick I learned back in Krokar from Percival's older sibling, Bramble." She sat on one of the Pillows. It was something she learned was more comforable than just the hard floor and it was better on her feet than even the earth.

"Have you ever meditated?" Inara knew a lot had befallen Kalypso. If anyone could relate to the affect that stress had on ones mood or self, it was Inara. Kalypso lost her kingdom and who knows who all she had lost during that. The woman has also had horrible relationships. Inara couldn't begin to compare the sadness they'd both encountered as it was unique to the both of them, however, she knew one way to help calm the soul. She was so eternally grateful for Brambles teachings that she felt that perhaps Kalypso could also benefit.

"Is there a core feeling that causes the fighting? Like frustration? Sadness? Anger? Embarrassment?" Inara figured perhaps addressing this would be the first step. "We can't control how we feel, but we can accept the feelings and learn to let them come and go freely so we can act out in a more reasonable manner. If we let feelings go array that is when we can say and do things that cause regret and embarrassment. Inara almost surprised herself. She wasn't the best at it, but she tries. "Once you figure out the emotion that is the strongest, we are going to sit erect. Hands on your knees or resting loose in your lap."

"Now once in the right sitting stance you will either relax your gaze or close your eyes." Her tone began to relax and become a more soothing, nurturing tone. "Take in a deep breath, concentrate on filling your lungs...1...2...3..exhale. Again..1...2...3..exhale. Inhale..1..2..3..exhale. Now think about Tora while taking in deep meditating breaths. What emotion comes to mind more when you think of him...you don't need to say it aloud. You can merely say it within you mind."

Inara hoped that Kalypso would actually enjoy this task and take something good from it. Inara knew that Bramble and Percival at least had as well as Inara.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Kaly made a face. She very much had no idea what Inara was getting at but she obediently following the doggish woman. She watched her rearrange all of the pillows and things before sitting herself down on one of them. Kaly stared at it for a moment before sinking herself into one Inara had set aside for her. It was more comfortable than the floor but it was not as comfortable as sitting on the bed.

Instantly, Kalypso grimaced. Meditation. Not really, she admitted bluntly, betraying her belief that it was a whole lot of phooey. She did not much care for sitting in one place and breathing deeply. She much rather preferred to keep her hands busy, her mind at work, and her spirit too weary to protest to anything happening. The answer eventually came her way or she ended up tossing it aside because it had never showed up.

She grumbled, but complied as Inara continued. She had no idea why she continued to poke at the bear, so to speak, whenever she was irritated. She did tend to be exceptionally nit-picky at times and quite demanding. Her standards were absurdly high for everyone, including herself. Maybe that was it?

But she was certainly gifted at embarrassing herself when she had no weighty crown on her head keeping her grounded to the earth. She didn't say anything, but followed suit with Inara's guidance. It took her a moment to figure out what position she wanted her hands to be in - she had to flop them around a few times before just shaking off the over complication of hand position.

And then Kalypso felt her throat clench and she let loose an unexpected whine through her throat. She did not like what they were doing. She did not like being tasked with being so direct about something that made her absolutely uncomfortable. Her skin was crawling and she was feeling mortified about it all.

I can't do this, she said, wrapping her hands around her upper arms and clenching inward. She was always so decisive that this inability to get to the bottom of things made her feel rotten. I don't like this. She didn't want to think about it.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count → 326 (3627/3000)
OOC → Inara...girl..*pets*

The peace started to come over, and the Ailurus' mind was starting to focus in on emotions. She herself kept on the subject she brought up to Kalypso. Just as she was thinking about Tora, Kalypso's whine caused Inara to open her eyes. Her shortened ears laid back as she saw Kalypso upset. She said she couldn't do this and she didn't like it. The way the Savoy held herself she wondered how she caused her to be overwhelmed. "...I...I am sorry, Kalypso! I didn't mean to cause overwhelm or upset...perhaps I went a little too fast. It seemed there's a lot to unpack.." Inara started to wonder if she was really suited for Heartward.

Between her and Tora, Inara felt like she wasn't getting anywhere but causing more mess. She looked down, ears still back and she looked down at the ground. "I'm sorry. I am trying the tools that I've seen work well and that have worked for me." Inara's muzzle pointed down as she felt a sense of defeat.

She managed to lift her head and scratched at the back of her head. "You're a woman who has been around a long time. You had a wealthy and well known pack, you led many members. You have children and are a wonderful mother. You are strong, and capable. Your strong will is what has kept you and your children together. I've seen you take on enemies with a clear head. You're capable of a lot of things! I just tried to get you in touch with your heart and soul to help you make the informed decision. As I said, you're a strong and capable woman. If you have feelings, intimate feelings for Tora. I think you're capable of handling his mess. But only if you want to." She gave a small saddened smile.

"...I am sorry, again...I hope I am of some help.."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Kalypso found herself gripping her arms far too tightly. She loosened her fingers, peeling them away. She touched her face, her hands digging into the flesh with the rough pads of her fingers. Her nails were dangerously close to her eyes but she was careful as she dragged those claws down, trying to rub away the stressful feelings that lurked beneath the surface. It was like bugs crawling beneath her skin and her fingers were unable to push them away, unable to reach them through the skin.

It's not your fault, she replied firmly as she dropped her hands back down. Kaly was not a simple creature at the end of the day. Before, she had been much less complex despite the ferocity of her confidence and stubbornness. That stubbornness was what became her emotional downfall. It had forced her pigheaded heart to fight in one direction, only to be pulled in another by another emotion or thought. It was like the sinew of an animal being pulled too far and splitting when it got to be too thin.

I'll just need to think about it more.. slowly. Kalypso pulled a face at it. Once it was spoken, it would be so. She knew that she would need to truly dig into the mess and put it to rights rather than letting the congealed mess rot in her head. Your praise is kind, if a bit much, she added, looking at Inara and giving her a tight smile that tried to be lighter than the air around them. It is some bit of help. It's too much for one person to untangle, I think, she admitted, slowly.

Kalypso started to rise, unwinding her legs and standing upon feet that felt too shaky. Maybe in another few months it'll be better. Probably not. She gave another weary smile, trying to rub away the crawling sensation still lingering on her skin. I think I ought to go take a walk and come back again so we can talk about the dress. It felt like the worst attempt to change the topic. It was.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]