[P] There in my arms you'll be free
Moving out had been Rhodes' biggest priority when he had become an adult. He wasn't sure how his sister felt on the matter, not seeming to be bothered as much as he was living in the bar. Even if that wasn't a factor, the two of them were bigger now, and his parents probably wanted to have a space of their own again. He had been pondering for a long time on where he should move to, but nothing ever really seemed to stick with him. That reason alone had been the biggest factor as to why this task had been put off for so long. He really should have found a better excuse than that.

But things were different now. He had friends, ones that he felt comfortable around. Even better than that, he felt safe around them. Considering how much his anxiety could flare up, they were his net when things got bad. They were kind to him, and he was kind to them in turn.

So when the idea came up that they should look for a place to stay together, or even build one of their own, Rhodes wasted no time in jumping on board. The young male couldn't think of better roommates than Fredrick and Remy.

He had woken up early, slipping out from the room on the second floor. For once it seemed like he was the first one up, making his way outside the Ugly Coyote. The three of them didn't seem to have much of a plan other than looking around for today. They had to start somewhere after all. Even if they didn't find a place they liked, maybe they could find a spot of land where they could look to start building. Either way, he was sure they would find something by the end of the day.

Rhodes pressed outside the Ugly Coyote, eyes scanning around the snow covered land as he waited. He didn't dress himself much, but given the colder weather, he had thrown something together to make sure he was still keeping warm.
(+300) | NPCs: N/A
For Jazzy and Draiko/Fredrick and Remy. I figure this would take place after our new thread Jazzy so they are good friends. Let me know if there is anything you guys want me to change.
Rhodes Winthrop

Avatar art by Lin · Sig art by N/A
I want to believe - No, I choose to believe - That I was made to become - A sanctuary

511 words

Friendship continued to weave opportunity for Freddy. He had been perfectly content just sharing time with Remy and Rhodes, being able to 'chat' with them or joke around. The opportunity for Fredrick to be the one to help, and not the dependent one did wonders to his confidence, and for once in his life Freddy was allowed to feel excited for the future and hope for even more chances to spend around his friends. 

And given that Freddy had limited connections in the Gang, when the idea to find and share a house with his two friends, Fredrick was ecstatic. A home to Freddy was a dear place; he'd spent his entire first Summer hiding behind the safe walls of a house, fearful of the outside world but forever grateful to have a place to huddle away. Having a room in Charmingtown was good, but the place seemed a bit too open for Fredrick's comfort. There was no real stopping a stranger from coming in after all, other than the slight chance of trouble. Having a house though, close or far from town, would be perfect. And with such good company, Fredrick could tell it would all be worth it. 

Because it wasn't going to be a simple mission to just scout out an old building and put down a sign with their names on it, the boys had to find a good place and no doubt fix up some ruins or build the whole thing themselves. Fredrick might not be old enough to know how construction worked, but he was certain that houses weren't as easy to make as growing plants or something. They'd need help. 

But that was plans for another day, the boys first needed to find a good place. In his mind, Freddy had some ideas of where would work: It would need to be close enough to the stables or open enough to have their own small field for the likes of Euph and any animals Remy wanted. It would need to be close enough to town to keep in touch with others in the Gang, though Freddy hoped it might also be just far enough away that visitors wouldn't stumble across their fort. All ideas to think on during the scout. 

Unlike the man who'd rasied him, Freddy wasn't an early riser. The boy enjoyed a morning under warm covers, the longer he avoided the cold the better, and he tended to sleep later anyway. So this morning was earlier than usual, but not quite the crack of dawn that Fredrick was used to when he lived with Cedric in Casa. Stretching and pacing around to warm himself up, Freddy shoved on his clothes and tied his crossbow around his back before heading out, finding Rhodes outside first and greeting his close friend with a warm smile. 

'You win for being early!' Freddy signed with a grin, moving a hand through his scruffy hair to try and tame the current bed-head look the jackal was wearing.

Fredrick Knight

I want to take shelter but I'm ready, ready to fight.

Somewhere in the middle I feel a little paralyzed.
If Remy was being honest with himself, he was nervous about this move.  Rhodes was one of his closest friends and Freddy was quickly heading that way, so Remy couldn’t think of another pair of Luperci he would rather share a place with, but the Tejada house was a comfortable and intimate one.  Evie and Tiago had help him a lot, not to mention having being surrounded by his siblings, both older and now younger ones.  He knew though, that he had to move out, he was old enough and should Evie and dad ever want more pups, then space would be tight.

Today was an exciting day, despite Remy’s uncertainty.  He was looking forward to meeting up with his friends.  It felt like the start of something that would be fun.  The three of them had discussed their needs, if not in detail, then enough to have a general idea of what they needed.  Remy wanted to make sure that they were near to the stables, or at least had a smaller one of their own.  After thinking about it, the latter option would probably be best, staying away from the insecurity of Charmingtown might well help both Rhodes and Freddy.  They needed land to keep their horses and somewhere that wasn’t too inaccessible would be good.  There were lots of other things to consider as well, like access to water, how exposed a place was, and of course the building and maintenance of the place.  Remy knew he had no idea how to build a house, or anything else for that matter, and neither Rhodes or Freddy had ever demonstrated any sort of skill in that direction.  Anyway, these were all challenges rather than problems, and no one in the pack had ever been shy of working hard, well there might have been one or to, but they were loved all the same.

Usually an early riser, Remy had taken longer than usual to leave the house, though there was no reason for it.  It meant that when he arrived at their agreed upon meeting point, both Rhodes and Freddy had beaten him there.  The smaller jackal had been teaching him his sign language, and while Remy was still only in the early stages, he was an avid student, and soaked up the knowledge in the same way he seemed to take everything he was shown in.  However, their conversations were still a little stilted sometimes, and there was still a lot of guesswork involved.

”Well, here we are, gonna see if we can find ourselves a place to live huh? “ Remy looked at the crossbow Freddy had slung over his shoulder.

”I’m not sure you understood what we were doin’.  Y’ don’ have t’ shoot the house, an’ we ain’ stealin’ anyone’s home.”

Remy grinned good naturedly, feeling energised by being around his friends.

”Either o’ y’ got an idea where we should start?”

WC: 488
Rhodes couldn't help but feel a little glum while he was waiting outside of the Ugly Coyote. His eyes had trailed to the building he was standing in front of, his home since he had been born. Part of him might actually miss this place, but it was going to do him a world of wonder to be able to get out on his own. He knew all of them would understand. It would still be some time before more bodies came to occupy the space, so that helped to put him at some more ease.

A smile appeared over his muzzle when the first of his friends showed up. He couldn't help but give a small laugh after watching Fredrick's hands move, "I'm not usually up this early. Guess I am just excited to see what we might be able to find." It was the only thing he could think of. Good thing that he had been able to get up before his sister, sure that she would be asking him where he would be wandering off to at such an early hour.

Remy was next to meet up with them. He seemed a little worried about their plans, but it seemed to fade once he came into the presence of his friends. He could see that he was brushing it off on a joke that was being pointed towards the crossbow that the jackal was carrying around. Trying to spin some logic onto it, he offered a suggestion to Remy, "Well... what if there is something in the area that we find we want to settle down? He'd have something to protect himself with."

Nevermind that the other two males wouldn't, but it seemed wrong to push that protection to the two of them. No need to go risking his life in that case for the two of them. He already pushed enough of his problems onto them.

Rhodes crossed his arms, though one hand moved up to allow his fingers to brush the fur along his chin. His head turned towards the end of Charmingtown, "I suppose that would depend on what we are looking for. I think we're not looking to be living around a lot of people right? Or.. I'm not really.. I don't want to speak for either one of you.. but I guess not somewhere too far out?"
(+400) | NPCs: N/A
---
Rhodes Winthrop

I want to believe - No, I choose to believe - That I was made to become - A sanctuary

339 words

True natures came out when someone felt safe. Freddy had barely felt safe his whole life until recently. Casa had been a home and sanctuary for Freddy, but he'd never felt entirely safe there. Not to imply that he thought the Cavaliers would hurt him, but that being so small and different, Freddy would disappoint everyone who believed in him. Right now, with friends and some confidence finally brewing, Freddy could be who he'd wanted to be. He could joke and be jovial, smile and enjoy himself, things he'd never imagined doing until now. 

He nodded to Rhodes, shaping his hands some more. 'Me too, can't wait to get out of the inn.' He signed, glancing around mostly in the direction of Remy's home to check on when their larger friend was arriving. Once Remy got there, the mood increased even more; the boys were ready to get moving and carve a future, Freddy was feeling more and more honoured to be a part of it. Remy commenting on the crossbow made Freddy huff, his best attempt at a giggle. 'I forgot I brought it.' He signed with a smile, 'though yeah you never know what we might find out there.' He added, taking from Rhodes' comments. To be honest Freddy just brought the weapon because he always did. It made him feel safer with it, which might be something passed down from his time in Casa. 

Rhodes spoke first on where he'd thought they could settle, and Freddy nodded along; their ideas were similar. 'Not too many people no, but also not really far away from town, so we can still see others.' Freddy gestured. 'We'd also need space for Euphorus and other animals, so near a field?' 

Freddy wasn't as familiar with all of the Gang's lands as much as the other two, other than what he'd seen when hunting, so the boy was willing to go with wherever they figured best for the first scouting trip.
Fredrick Knight

When Freddy made is smooth and confident gestures, it still took a moment or two for Remy to interpret the signs in his head.  When they’d first started to talk it’d been painfully slow, but Remy was getting faster, if not in signing, the definitely in understanding, but there was always a pause.  The golden eyed youth had learned not to feel awkward, knowing his friend knew it was not done as an insult.

”As long as we’re happy and we got flat land, we can make a field, jus’ means more work.  A place for the animals is important.  Ah got an idea to breed some horses create a Gang specialty that’ll help the pack t’ trade well.  Most o’ that work can be done in the stables and the yard, but might need t’ bring home my work sometimes.”

Remy looked at Rhodes thoughtfully, the two had basically grown up together and Remy had always felt as though Rhodes was just another brother.  Remy was sensitive to the needs of both of his friends, and while Remy often found he relished being surrounded by others, the peace of a small distance from where loners were allowed, would feel safer.

”Okay, well, we can head out in the direction o’ the stables, go past ‘em and keep on walking to see what we find.  I guess if we’re lucky there’ll be a stone ruin we can work up, or else we’ll have t’ build form the ground up.  I ain’ never built a house before, so’d have to get some help.”

He pointed his head in the direction he intended them all to go.

[b]”I guess, day ain’ getting’ any warmer, and light is in short supply in winter, we better get moving.”

Remy turned and took a few steps, before stopping and looking back at his friends, waiting to see if they’d follow, or object with their own ideas.[/b]

WC: 321
Rhodes truly valued the friendship he got from both Remy and Fredrick. It didn't matter that he knew one longer than the other. The three of them just meshed well together with one another, and he couldn't be more thankful that the two of them were more than willing to put up with his personal problems whenever they reared up to bring him down. That had been one of the most important things to him, even if it sometimes worried him that he might be a bit of a burden to the both of them.

That was something he would be better at keeping to himself.

The jackal's hands moved, and Rhodes' ocean eyes focused on them. There were still some times where he couldn't understand everything that was being signed to him, but he seemed to grasp enough of what was being said. His words had come from a combination of both his other friends, brining a smile to the reddish boy's muzzle.

It seemed all of them were on the same wavelength when it came to what they were looking for in their home, either that or Remy was just content to follow along with that sentiment given that he didn't voice for it or against it. It made sense, as it would give the boys their own space, but wouldn't put them too far away from the largest portion of people in the Gang. One thing he hadn't taken into account was that they would need space for horses. It must be the early morning that made him slip up when it came to Fredrick's horse. Of course they would need space for them, "Good call. I completely forgot about Euphorus. Sorry."

Rhodes shifted his head slightly, giving Remy his attention at one key matter that had come up. It was entirely possible they may be stuck building their own home from scratch. In a way, that seemed more exciting. Then it truly would be a place of their own, and something they could shape to all their needs rather than trying to repair something they just happened to come across. He offered his friend some reassurance, "If that's the case, I'm sure we could ask others in the Gang to help us. I don't know anything about building either."

The young male was content to let both of his friends go first, though follow along the path that Remy pointed out. He did move one hand to his lips as he thought, following the few steps forward that his friend had taken, "It's a good place to start. I've done a bit exploring around Charmingtown. If we don't find a good spot, maybe I can take us to some of the places I remember."
(+400) | NPCs: N/A
---
Rhodes Winthrop

stuff here

Listening close to the other two, Freddy let out a raspy chuckle at Remy's comment. Although the bigger boy had a point; odds are they'd need to find either the skeleton of a house or make it completely, which was a daunting task. Freddy had seen towers built in Casa but that had taken a lot of hands and heavy lifting, which he imagined between three boys where one was as delicate as a twig wasn't going to happen. But Freddy imagined finding help wouldn't be too hard. Where he himself would probably lack in construction, he could make up for by hunting for things to trade with for help. He gave Rhodes a soft smile and shrugged his small shoulders. 

'Don't worry about it, if it helps even if we don't find space for Euphorus he won't mind... the big guy doesn't care about anything.' Freddy signed, feeling certain that Euph would be the least of their worries. Sure having the big horse around would be useful, but Freddy doubted Euph himself would really care if he had his own space or if he remained with the other horses in Charmingtown. But if Remy also wanted a field for horses then it was probably still going to be an option.

'I don't think I can help build unless we want a tiny house, but I could hunt things that we can trade to others for help?' Freddy suggested using his previous thoughts. Sure when it came to some things Freddy would help out, like cutting wood or stuff up and things like that, but with the dangers of the heavy stuff the boy didn't want this house building project to end up tragically. Death by construction seemed like a bad way to go.

With his ears and smile perking up at they got ready to scout, Freddy nodded and gestured to Rhodes. 'Let's go look then.'

Fredrick Knight

Remy led the small group, knowing that they at least had to get passed Charmingtown.  His own space was an exciting prospect, and the ideas of always being near horses was equally thrilling.  However, he still couldn’t shake the nervousness of leaving his family home.  Of course, he was old enough and a fully grown adult now right?  There was still a pup inside of him though, and perhaps the only thing that made the move tolerable was the fact he was making it with his friends.  On top of which, they still had to build the house, so it was a project, something to aim for and work towards.  It wasn’t going to be easy, the golden eyed youth had no illusions in that regard, but it would be worthwhile.  Besides, Remy had never been phased by having to work hard.

Despite the cold, the day was beautiful.  It’d been early when the three had met outside of the Ugly Coyote, but as they walked the sun rose into a clear sky, making the snow-covered land almost dazzling to behold.  All sounds were muffled, apart from their footfalls, which crunched and squeaked as they all made their way through the lands.  Remy knew that they were supposed to be looking for a place to live, but it was also a chance for the three friends to talk and soak up one another’s company.  There was no rush to this, and while Remy knew Rhodes was anxious to be out of his family’s home, rushing the process may well mean they’d have to live with a mistake.

He looked back over his shoulder in the direction he knew Charmingtown to be, though it was now obscured from view and a few miles behind them.  The lands were quiet here, and loners would be unlikely.  To Remy, this point seemed like a good staging place.  The three could get a lay of the land from here.

”We’re in gang land now, ain’ no loners gonna be coming here.  Not sayin’ we should build on this spot, but at least we can start t’ think about the lands round here.  The gang’s lands are large, we could spend all day, or e’en longer goin’ round ‘em if y’ wanted.  Mind you, if y’ got a crossbow, don’ think the hunting round here’s gonna be that great, pretty exposed, more trees down that way, and water too.  I ain’t no expert, but draining is important right, and then again, none of us wanna be hauling water miles, especially since I’m gonna be keepin’ horses.  I don’ relish the idea of havin’ to make a load o’ trips to get water to let the animals drink.”

He raised his eyebrows at his companions expectantly, and quietly eyed the snow, wondering if he could make a snowball and throw it at one of them before they ducked away.  A grin crept across his maw, but he decided against it, for now.