[P] I promise you, this is the least of what I can do.
Fluffy/Theo
wc – 666
Location, in the treeline around Silverado fields.
Sorry about the length. For Fluffy! PP of Jed approved.
Foredated!

I ASKED THE MOON IN IT'S F U L L N E S S,

The afternoon started out innocently enough. It had become a ritual for the young Tejada, setting out in the early morning to check her trap line out along Silverado fields. She knew the areas where horses never wandered, too thickly wooded for much else besides rodents or smaller predators. Her thin body fit between the trunks easily, coyote heritage rendering her much more agile and light of bone compared to the lumbering beasts that were horses.

Scoffing lightly to herself that so many of the Ashen depended on somewhat smelly livestock to do mundane things, Jimena wound her way through the pines and aspen with large ears trained on what was in front of her. A light wind filtered through the tree-tops and it was hard to hear much else besides the creaking of the wood and rustle of dry leaves. Pushing her way through the long-dead bushes, the Tejada finally located one of her traps.

“ Oo, score! “ A fat pine marten lay dead in her snare and happily Jimena got to work freeing her prize from the trap before putting it in her backpack and resetting it. There were a few more traps in this stretch of trees she needed to check before moving on, but with her luck so far it wouldn’t take long. Whistling cheerfully, the coyote continued to move through the underbrush looking for the next snare hidden cleverly along the forest floor.

Orange eyes searched along until it was located, this one empty. On and on the El Elegido travelled until she’d exhausted each trap, 2 more muskrats all the forest willing to give up to her today. Shrugging, Jimena cut through some hedges back towards the field. A large crashing sounded somewhere to her right and the young woman froze, large ears quivering in anticipation. “ Now what in the hell was that.. “ She breathed, pale hand going to the knife tucked into her belt.

A large snort and the thundering of hooves heralded the arrival of Satan himself before a black beast barreled through an opening in the trees. Wryly Jimena noted how the spaces between the trunks had grown farther apart the closer she got to the field and therefore, she was fair game now. Warily she fixed her gaze on the stallion approached her, weaving its way around trees like it was trying to show off before it ran her down. “ Cursed beast! Why can’t yall ever leave me alone! “ It was like they sensed her fear and hesitancy, Jimenas misgivings acting as a sort of homing beacon for hooved animals that hated her.

It either didn’t hear her or didn’t care. The icy glint in its brown eye suggested it was enjoying her growing distress, and Jimena yelped before diving into the bushes and out of the way of the rampaging horse. “ Fuck sakes. I fucking hate horses, dear lord. “ Jimena hissed before peaking up and around, trying to see where the black equine had ran off too. A whinny that sounded something like a banshees scream erupted from her left and the silver and pewter female scrambled from her place in the undergrowth, making a beeline to the nearest tree. Frantically she searched for a branch low enough for her to grab onto and once finding one, hoisted herself up onto the thick branch and kept climbing until she was certain the stallion couldn’t get her.

“ Ha! Ya idiot, you can’t climb trees! “ She yelled down to the horse that was circling the trunk, looking for all the world that he might very well try. Jimena was peering down, sneering when she watched an apple tumble down the branches and hit the forest floor, rolling away and the horse prancing after it. “ Huh? “ Reaching behind her, she slid the backpack off and examined the bottom of it, noticing a hole where her snacks for the day had tumbled out of. “ Aw hell! “

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE W H O L E AGAIN?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 
I've got a heart like a silver dollar
I may be s m a r t but I'll never change
And I might sparkle in the right light
But I'm always worth the s-a-m-e
Jed, the majestic, handsome stallion that he was, liked to graze closer to the trees while his short-fur friend picked and groped about the fields, pulling at bitter-funny smelling plants. Theo-Big-Smelly had time and time again told the horse that he was not to eat the different things he picked at, saying they were bad for him.  Jed prefered how Whisper-Smells-Good would tell him about what nasty plants to stay away from, especially when he was given tasty treats as he listened.

Theo-Big-Smelly (as he would often call to his face) tried to do the same, promising him treats and murmurs of praise, but one too many days spent on the road with that particular short-fur meant some promises were obvious to see through.  The place they had stayed at now that they were done traveling was filled with nice people though, who also had other horse people like himself.  Many of the short-furs would carry tasty treats too, which he was clever to figure out that if one was approached, he might be offered such things.

As he contemplated such things, the breeze shifted towards his nostrils, filling his snorting nose with the scent of a local short-fur and some sweet, delicious treats somewhere closer to the trees.  Brimming with confidence and excitement over a snack, the dark horse happily pranced away from his grazing spot, leaving where Theo-Big-Smelly told him to stay with a certain glee.

Theo Reeves, who had gone out to scour the fields for any harmful or dangerous plants that the herd might unwittingly eat if they wandered back this way, had suddenly realized his horse was gone.  Pushing himself up from his crouched position, the coyote tilted his hat back just a bit to scan the surroundings, muttering to himself as he began to stalk back to where Jed should’ve been standing.

Having known the horse from a very early age, one would think that Theo would have mastered the stallion by now, but it might’ve been in spite of that fact that Jed was so willful towards him.  Knowing Theo as well as Theo knew Jed meant that the horse had figured out that the earthen toned man relied more on the horse than the horse did him.  At least, that was the case before they came to this place, and now that it wasn’t just the two of them anymore his mount had some nasty habits that he needed to unlearn.  The rider did his best with him, but years traveling the countryside ingrained some tendencies that didn’t mesh very well with their current lifestyle.

Not to mention that Jed had come up with a couple new habits, one of which being the pursuit of anyone who might possibly have something edible for a horse his like that mule of a stallion.  Even now he could still feel the embarrassment of having to apologize to more than one person that was inconvenienced by an overly inquisitive Jed.  And now, it sounded like a new name would be added to the list of people he had to say sorry to, as he could hear a voice shouting from the treelike ahead, and the coyote took off as he swore under his breath.

By the time he arrived, Theo could see another Del Ceneren up a tree, clinging to the branches as she glared down at the horse that was happily trotting to munch on an apple on the ground.  “Sorry if he bothered y’a, we’re workin’ on that.” He said remorsefully, crossing his arms as he stared down Jed.  “Do y’a need help down from there?” He called up to the stranded Ashen, approaching the tree and shooing hat Jed with his hat.
wc – 310

I ASKED THE MOON IN IT'S F U L L N E S S,

It did not take long for Jimena to put two and two together, once presented with the missing snacks in addition to the hole in her pack. The writing appeared clearly written on the wall. Throwing an accusing look down at the stallion who had greedily inhaled the apple, the coyote sighed exasperatedly. “ Ya gone’ n’ ate my lunch, right? Typical. “ Blowing another breath out of her nostrils, Jimena pinned large ears against her head before continuing. “ Why we keep a herd of dependent, hooved, prey animals around is beyond my understandin’. “

“ Y’all stink. All you beasts seem to do is eat. Scavengers!” Dramatically the coyote remained perched upon her limb, motioning her hands wildly as the horse was informed exactly of what the El Elegido though of it and all other horse kind. “ Dangerous, stompy, smelly mooches. “ She was completely unaware of the approaching Ashen, jerking in surprise as a strange voice apologized from somewhere beneath her.

The branch wobbled dangerously and for a long moment it looked as if the petite female might tumble from where she was precariously perched. Sucking down a sharp breath, Jimena managed to regain her balance and sat solidly once more. “ Oh no, I’m fine. Nothin’ t’ see here. I didn’t know demons were put out to graze, is all. My mistake, really. “ The silver and pewter coyote stated sarcastically, thoroughly embarrassed she’d been caught in such a situation. Biting her lip, she swung both feet in the free space underneath her seat.

“ It would be swell if you could direct your um, horse – away from here though. “ He could very well just leave them both here and walk away laughing at her predicament. Who was foolish enough to be chased up a tree? I am, Jimena thought to herself glumly.

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE W H O L E AGAIN?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 
I've got a heart like a silver dollar
I may be s m a r t but I'll never change
And I might sparkle in the right light
But I'm always worth the s-a-m-e