How to color in the lines - Photoshop
Yours truly, Taboo
Hello 'Soulers,

I keep watching videos on how to color line art in Photoshop. I sketch my own drawings, scan them into the computer, then use layers to draw over it. However, I try to follow the videos' steps on creating a layer so your color doesn't paint outside the lines. I think I'm missing something because I can't get it to work.

I have my own tablet that I love to draw with, I just would like to add a splash of color!

Thanks for all your help :3c
[Image: Xba-Signature.png]

Failure to remember curses the besotted one. And he was cursed.

credit goes to NihilityHeart
Not sure what videos you're watching, but this is my usual technique, using Photoshop:

1. Fiddle with contrast/levels to get the cleanest lineart you can get. If I scanned at a high enough resolution, sometimes I'll use threshold (Image>Adjust>Threshold) to get pure black/white.

2. Copy and paste the lineart onto a layer separate from the background. (Layer A)

3. Select the white area outside of your drawing and delete. (Sometimes I'll expand the selection by 1-2 pixels and delete the outermost pixel of lineart to ensure there's no white left around the outline.)

4. Create a new layer (Layer B) over Layer A. While on this layer, Layer>Create Clipping Mask. Now Layer B is "masked" over Layer A, which means you cannot color outside of what's already in Layer A. Most of the older avatars here that have shading use this technique to color in the lines. (The newer ones use a slightly different technique.) Clipping Masks should be available in a lot of other programs than Photoshop, but I'm not as familiar with other programs.
it was me. i broke it.
commission info | instagram
(2 March 2022, 12:48 PM)Kiri Wrote: Not sure what videos you're watching, but this is my usual technique, using Photoshop:

1. Fiddle with contrast/levels to get the cleanest lineart you can get. If I scanned at a high enough resolution, sometimes I'll use threshold (Image>Adjust>Threshold) to get pure black/white.

2. Copy and paste the lineart onto a layer separate from the background. (Layer A)

3. Select the white area outside of your drawing and delete. (Sometimes I'll expand the selection by 1-2 pixels and delete the outermost pixel of lineart to ensure there's no white left around the outline.)

4. Create a new layer (Layer B) over Layer A. While on this layer, Layer>Create Clipping Mask. Now Layer B is "masked" over Layer A, which means you cannot color outside of what's already in Layer A. Most of the older avatars here that have shading use this technique to color in the lines. (The newer ones use a slightly different technique.) Clipping Masks should be available in a lot of other programs than Photoshop, but I'm not as familiar with other programs.

Thank you so much Kiri, I will give this a try when I'm home! I've been struggling with it for hours, lol.

(2 March 2022, 12:48 PM)Kiri Wrote: Not sure what videos you're watching, but this is my usual technique, using Photoshop:

Woohoo it worked! Now I can finally do colored digital art. I'm going to spend a lot of time making my avatar detailed, but I just wanted to give it a try first.

Yay! Glad it worked out. :)
it was me. i broke it.
commission info | instagram