But Jesus, when it rains, how it pours
Honeychile
Herrero Prompt
Find some scrap to make tools, or repurpose current scrap! Did someone bring in a kill recently? Repurpose the bones for tools!
289/1000

After the coldsnap, his whole system had felt out of whack with the rapidly warming weather settling in. The temperature had come as a shock, and his somewhat denser winter coat had started to inexplicably itch with the rapid fluctuation. It wasn’t long after that, upon scratching at his scruffy nape, did he find his coat was blowing out for spring.

Good God, was it blowing out. The damp air made his hands tacky, and clumps of undercoat stuck to his fingertips as he attempted to shake the clump of hair from his fingertips, lips pulled into an unpleasant grimace over the itchy ordeal, only for the itch to tickle and nip at his skin again. This time of year was discomfort galore.

Not keen on waiting on and scratching out the shed by hand, Cassidy had gone to raid Irving’s storage for scraps and pieces; inconvenience was the mother of invention, and, while a comb wasn’t anything new, it certainly wasn’t something that he had made attempts at building anything in the past.

There were all manner of materials strewn about: wood, bone, old rusted scraps of metal and bands of it, but nothing had seemed to feel quite right or proper. Frustrated, he plucked up what he could, and moved outside, too impatient to find a proper station to work at, and, with a splitting log for his chair, he got to assessing what he’d grabbed.

Fishbone was too thin, for starters. He lacked the proper tools to whittle away at antler; and, sorely, he found he wished they had bone. With little else to work with in a pinch, he started carving away at a block of wood to create a broad handle for his project.

OOC: --
dead fingers talking, bare foot boy walking
dead earth to cosmic dust
Honey was growing to dislike the current weather. It made her all itchy, and no matter how much she scratched, it didn't seem to end. She also noted that some of her fur was coming out, but since it didn't hurt, maybe that was normal. Making a mental note to ask her papa later, she continued on her self made adventure. Though the weather made being outside a bit of a hassle, she was determined to get to know each part of the pack lands, no matter how long it may take her. Who knew what each nook and cranny was hiding? What could be discovered by her curious explorations that no one else knew about? 

Only one way to find out, and her itchy fur wouldn't stop her! Of course, she was also still inclined to get distracted by older members of the pack working on projects. So, it really shouldn't be a surprise to find herself approaching someone she spotted working on something, though she had no clue what it would turn out to be. Not wanting to distract the canine working, she stayed a distance away, though her presence wouldn't likely go fully unnoticed. She was still a puppy in many ways after all, and she found herself inching closer with full blown curiosity to see if she could guess what was being made. 

232 words
I'm a shooting star leaping through the sky-Queen
[Image: tier1occ1.png] Herrero I Prompt [694/1000] Find some scrap to make tools, or repurpose current scrap! Did someone bring in a kill recently? Repurpose the bones for tools!

It would make due, he had decided.

The little bands of metal, while varnished with age and water spots, were still fairly toothed and flexible, save for the odd bend or break in the pattern. His brow was furrowed as he honed in on his work, setting aside his makeshift and still largely rudimentary handle to work on the more functional piece of his tool. The rusted old shears – curved as a long, single cut of metal hinged like tongs, were rusted and undeniably blunt, and cramped his hands as he attempted to cut through what had initially looked like a flimsy sheet. With a few attempts and an irritable grunt they finally snapped through metal, bringing it down to much workable size, though both pieces now went wobbling away into the gravel and he sighed.

Flexing his hands, he set aside the sheers to assess his butcher’s handiwork, which left much to be desired – it hadn’t so much cut as bent at such an angle to snap, and the edge was wretchedly sharp, and so, he flattened it out by hammering the edge – stone against stone, and he winced at the ugly marks it had left. Cassidy bent the hoops into place, pulling over his equally rough looking handle and set to binding everything together with a thick leather cording -

And he sat back. And he looked to it, in his palms.

It was the ugliest damn thing he’d ever seen.

Cassidy frowned to himself and knit his brow at his handiwork – or, perhaps, lack thereof – and frowned as he thought on how to better secure the wobbling blades of his abomination of a comb to its blocky and uncomfortable, splinter-laden handle, and he hissed softly, looking back over the tools at his disposal, before he realized, far too belatedly, that he had been being watched, thanks to the mottle-colored coat of the girl suddenly being alarmingly close to him. Cassidy shouted and fell off the splitting log he’d made his stool in alarm, before he splayed a hand on his chest with a nervous laugh as he got up, and fetched his sorry excuse for a comb.

”Oh! Oh, hello, you, uh, frightened me there.” He paused, and cleared his throat, the muddled gold of his eyes looking over the girl’s innocent face, over her wide and curious purple gaze. ”You look like you’re sheddin’ too, huh? Jeez – it’s just the worst.”

OOC: For reference's sake, Cassidy is attempting (and failing) to make a very rudimentary shedding blade/curry comb
Honey wanted to giggle at the other's reaction, but held it back, being old enough to realize it likely wouldn't be proper. She couldn't hold back a smile though "I just wanted to see what you were doing" she said as explanation and didn't really offer any apology. Her gaze went to the object, which looked like a brush as far as she could tell. "That's amazing! I don't think I have ever seen anyone actually make one..." It didn't matter to her if it looked horrible, it was amazing that it had been made by hand. To her at least. Then her gaze moved upwards towards the older canine, and she scratched at her neck a bit. 

"Shedding?" Was that the name for the uncomfortable itching, and the small loss of hair? If so, then she agreed that it was the worst. Or at the very least the most annoying. "Do you know what to do for it?" She asked in a curious tone and hoped that the older canine did. Of course, she could ask her papa, but her papa wasn't here right at this moment. Honey also didn't see any issue with asking whoever was available to ask either. In the end if she got the information that she wanted, it didn't matter how she got it. 

230 words
[Image: tier1occ1.png] Herrero I Prompt [918/1000] Find some scrap to make tools, or repurpose current scrap! Did someone bring in a kill recently? Repurpose the bones for tools!

”Oh! Well, I mean, there’s still a lot that needs done – I should look into punchin’ a hole right through here,” he gestured to a point through the metal bands and the handle itself. ”And maybe I’ll wedge a peg down in there to hold the sheddin’ blades in place there, n’ wrap the handle all nice n’ snug in some scrap leather so it’s good t’ hold, and such-“

He paused after a breath, realizing that it was probably very foolish to be relaying all of this to a Chispa, and he paused to rub over his lips a moment, before offering over a cheeky, sheepish smile.

”But uh, yeah! It’s a brush.” His ears perked up at her single-word question, and lighting up, he nodded. Was she actually curious? That felt like a first. ”Oh, yeah, shedding! It’s when your coat gets all big n’ fluffy in winter, but when it warms up, that’d cook ya, so your body just kinda sloughs off all the extra fuzz.”

Apprehensively, he held the comb aloft, and, holding the blade fast to make sure it wouldn’t just fall apart immediately, he passed it over her shoulder, snagging up a great deal of loose hair in its wake, which he proceeded to gather up in his palm. ”All of this is shed! It happens every year.”

Honey perked up and nodded when she was meant to as the older canine explained what else needed done to complete the brush. She honestly didn't mind all the information, even if she didn't end up using it herself. Not that she didn't enjoy working with her hands, just that she wasn't sure if she could sit still long enough for such tasks.

As the older canine used the brush on her shoulder she gasped and wagged her tail excitedly. "That's amazing!" Running a hand over the spot, she could feel a slight difference and wondered if they had a brush at home. They probably did...somewhere. Wait, hadn't papa used one on her hair before? Tilting her head, she found that she couldn't remember exactly. Oh well, she could look for one later "I'll remember that!" She claimed excitedly "Thanks for telling me how it's made sir!" Honey hoped he could tell how she appreciated it even as she started scratching another itchy part. Hopefully they had a brush or similar at home, and if they didn't, she could find something else to use.

As long as the annoying itching stopped, she didn't much care

207 words
[Image: tier1occ1.png] Herrero I Prompt [1122/1000] Find some scrap to make tools, or repurpose current scrap! Did someone bring in a kill recently? Repurpose the bones for tools!

The girl looked on with a bright-eyed wonder to her deep, amethyst eyes, and Cassidy felt a swell of pride for impressing someone with his work, simple as it was.

Amazing – she had called it, and Cassidy puffed up a little at that, clapping a hand against his knee as he beamed, before he held that shedding blade more steady, and he gestured again with his hand.

”Here, c’mere,” he requested, ushering the girl closer so he could help her with the shedding tufts of her coat. He brushed her hair aside gingerly, and passed his brush over her coat, against her rough and down her back to help prize the downy fluff of her winter coat out of her pelt. ”I don’t have a good one for your hair specifically, but this’ll help with the body shedding.”

Before long, much of that pesky hair, pallid and cream in color, had been shaken and pulled loose, dancing around them in a flurry of puff-balls that danced on passing, scarce breezes and rolled along the ground, light enough not to sink against the earth. Cassidy laughed softly, and shook some of the fuzz from his hands.

”How does that feel?” he asked gingerly, glimpsing up.

Honey hadn't expected the free brushing, and stayed as still as she could while watching clumps of fur fall to the ground. Her hair could be dealt with later, and it was wild even with proper care anyways. "This much is nice enough, thank you sir!" Her tail wagged and she could already tell a difference since much of her itching had died down. She also didn't feel quite as warm, though the heat of the day  was still felt on her well enough. Hopefully she would get used to it as time progressed, or even find a way to clip her fur in the future.

In any case, it was truly amazing to her, what one small tool could do. Honey wondered if there was some other way to show her appreciation for the help that had been given to her. After all, she wouldn't have been able to reach a few of her parts on her own. Tilting her head in thought, she couldn't really think of much. Maybe she could return the favor at a later time? Rocking on her feet she lingered, unsure if she should leave the older canine alone now or not.

202 words
”Good!” Cassidy answered helpfully, pleased with the results his little tool, even rudimentary as it was, had at the task at hand. He paused and turned it over in his hand – before considering the option of fixing up his brush as he had mentioned earlier before. There would likely need to be more effort than he was prepared for in drilling the hole through the blades, brittle as they were. He got up to begin fishing around the tall grasses springing up around the edge of the buildings, until he could find an old, rusted nail.

”I’m Cassidy, by the way!” he muttered, before fetching a hammer, unfastening the leather he had used to hold it still only to begin hammering the nail as firmly through the handle as he could muster. Once he managed to punch through it, he started flattening it down flatter on either side, and started wrapping up the handle all over again. ”You know what, why don’t you have this brush, and take it home? Show your family how it’s used and the like, hmm?”

Tying off the leather, he fastened it tight and gave it a test to make sure nothing sharp poked through, giving a firm squeeze, before he handed it out to the Chispa with a beaming grin.