[P] Microwave my smile
For Syrus/Mike
[Image: salsola.gif] Monthly prompt [332/1,200] Sunsets during this month are a spectacular light show, throwing vivid colors against the backsplash of the heavens. Enjoy a sunset vista, in the company of friends or strangers!

Cotton candy hues spun themselves high in the atmosphere at sunset. The hot tones of the bleeding sun crashed into the frozen colors of the impending midnight. The stars would blink into existence soon, but not yet. Indigo marvelled at the colors from the comfort of his family's front yard, his paws folded one over the other in front of himself. Nature and its denizens of flora and fauna were so inspiring to the boy. He just wished he was not alone to witness it right now, though he supposed it was his choice to come out here. He just had not the energy to ask anyone to come out there with him.

The sun sunk lower behind the horizon and Indigo saw a silhouette of a fellow Bambino approach. His sooty pelt tipped him off as to who it was: Syrus de le Ulrich. His eyes were somewhat similar to Indigo's own, though they were more salmon in color than crimson. Indigo knew of his mother, Eden. He supposed her eyes looked similar enough to what he had inherited, though he did not totally udnerstand how that worked. He was simply envious that his eyes were not green like his mother's or like Sundew's. 

"Hi Syreese," Indigo said. "Sunset is pretty. Wanna watch?"

He did not entirely mind his company, so he was happy to invite him to join him. He loved his littermates, it was simply the principle of 'the more, the merrier' in motion now. Although he felt he may not necessarily deserve to be Syrus' friend, he was happy he at least deigned to approach him in what at least seemed a friendly way. The truth was, Indigo thought Syrus was very cool. This was not an uncommon opinion for Indigo to have of others... And one that was nonexistent in himself. He hoped Syrus did not dislike him, at least. He was just unsure of what he had to offer the world yet.
[Image: indigo_the_shepherd_small.png]
Indigo Eternity

Toss your dirty shoes
In my washing machine heart
Baby, bang it up inside

And baby, though I've closed my eyes
I know who you pretend I am

Character WikiPlayer Wiki
[Image: 80x15_songbird.png] [Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png] [Image: Ltbudl6.png]
(Art by Viktory System)

After a long day of refining his hunting skills on small rodents, Syrus was making his way home. Despite being completely worn out, he didn't want the day to end. As much as he liked the look of a sunset, he didn't like what came after it: Bedtime!

Fortunately, he was distracted from such foreboding thoughts by Indigo calling to him. Syrus grinned and lowered himself into a prowl, as if he might pounce on the crimson-eyed bambino at any moment. 

Syrus waited until he was close before adopting a more natural posture.

"Kiddin' . . . I'm not really gonna tackle ya!"

Naturally, his tail and ears lifted; he was always alert, always full of energy.

Syrus whirled around as Indigo asked if he wanted to watch the sunset. 

"Oh . . ."

He watched as the weight of chilled twilight compressed the warmer colours against the curve of the horizon, like double-cream and navy ink folded into a lake of molten rose gold. 

Unable to sit still for more than a few breaths, Syrus glanced over at Indigo.

"Hey, yanno what would be cool? We could watch the sunset from the coast! Yanno, like where the water is. The sun always looks really cool over the water."

He tilted his head and pivoted his big ears towards Indigo.

It was getting late, and Syrus knew he would be in trouble for staying out after dark. But, he considered that exploring at night with someone else would be worth the telling-off.

"It's gonna be fun, too! And, I've been looking every time I can go out when it's dark and I haven't founded any monsters, so you'll be safe, too!"

He cast a sidelong glance across the path, trying to think of anything else he could say to tempt his timid friend into action. 

-----

WC:300+

Sooty Lookin' Nuisance
Syrus' mischievous grin and low stalk made Indigo instinctively flinch, especially when he was too close. For whatever reason, all he could do was freeze. He hated that he had that reaction. He shrunk away when his posture changed, but he relaxed with a relieved sigh when he assumed a casual type of body language.

"Oh! Haha, I knew that," he lied. In truth, he could not be entirely sure. At least it was good to know that he did not intend to actually pounce.

He took in his reaction to the scenery with a serene smile now, but upon Syrus' sugesstion he was unsure all over again. Why would he want to do that? He would ask, but he worried that was a stupid question. He nibbled at his lip, uncertain. Would it be okay? He guessed it would be if he was not alone and they stayed in the territory. Indigo had never been outside of the pack's borders and he thought he was too young to start now. But he was curious enough to want to explore with Syrus on the coast.

"It does? Okay... But not take too long." He just didn't know how to say no, either. "Bet it would be f-fun maybe...? If no monsters founded, I tink it's fine?" He did not entirely know what monsters were, but he had a vague idea. He just had no clue they existed. But Syrus seemed to know. 

He had been convinced, but he still looked shy. What if monsters did find them? Or worse, what if his parents were really mad? He supposed he should hurry along then. The sooner they left, the sooner they could come back. He stirred and came to stand on his four paws. His tall ears twitched.

"O-okay, which way Syreese?" He did not know the way to go, so he edged closer to Syrus. Maybe because there would be two of them, they could watch each other's backs. He prayed it would not be necessary, however. "What does the sunset look like on the wadder? Like in a puddle?"
Indigo Eternity

Toss your dirty shoes
Baby, bang it up inside

[Image: 80x15_songbird.png] [Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png] [Image: Ltbudl6.png]
(Art by Viktory System)

"Yeah it does! It's like . . . like I can't even say 'acause there's not any words good enough! It's like, better than cool!"

He whirled back around again, circling Indigo with excitement. 

"Yeah, we won't be long. We'll be quicker than a squirrel trying to steal your nuts!"

Syrus got the answer he wanted more quickly than he thought. 

"Yes!" He said, all four paws coming off the ground with a little bounce. He began strolling back towards the path. "Well c'mon then!"

He stopped, frowned, and glanced back over his shoulder.

"Oh, monsters. Well. I haven't seen any . . . yet.He added ominously, pulling a severe expression. But it lasted only a moment before it broke down, and he returned to smiling. 

"I donno. Sometimes I wanna see a monster." He shrugged. "Don't you? You're not scared, right? Indi?"

He glanced to his side where Indigo now walked and smirked a bit, trying to coax a rushed answer from his friend.

"Oh man, it's goin' down fast! C'mon lessgo!" Syrus set off in a sprint, but it soon faded to a dogtrot. He'd been on his feet the entire day, running, jumping, hunting, so he moved as quick as he could. 

Syrus had walked the trail to the coast numerous times. It was pretty uneventful. Just a path, long grass on either side and occasional trees and plants. He sometimes liked to watch the wildlife, though, or even better, sneak up on the other animals and scare them. 

"I wanna try climb down to the sand this time, I think I can do it now! Bet it would look even better if we are on the same height as the water to see the sun in it, probably, 'acause we'd be closer right?"

Syrus's notion perhaps made more sense as they arrived at a rather severe drop at the edge of the land. He tip-toed closer to the sloping edge of the cliff. The ground was stepped slightly where it had already given way, and the fall would have been enough to maim or kill either of the pups. 

Syrus looked at Indigo. 

"Betcha I can get closer to the edge than you!" 

He stepped closer, his paws pressing into the now soft ground, his eyes widening knowingly, wearing a slight smirk as he stepped closer and closer to the edge.

The ground gave way under his right hind leg and small rocks and hard-packed mud clattered down to the beach below. Syrus jumped forward with a scream. "Aaiihhh!"

His smirk was stolen by the shock of the ground giving way, and once he realised he was still alive and hadn't fallen down, he started laughing nervously, and trotted a little further away from the edge.

"Errm, you wanna try?"

-----

WC:400+

Sooty Lookin' Nuisance
Indigo listened to what Syrus said and nodded with intent eyes. He spoke so highly of such a sight. Indigo had seen beautiful things nature had to offer, shown to him by his mother and father and other adults, but the world was so large. There was always more to see. Sometimes he felt like staying inside and avoiding the world, but Syrus was really putting some wind in his sails today.

"Better than cool? Oh." It must really be something. He gave a cautious smile. "Okay, I'll come..." Despite the supposed monsters. This gave him pause, but he was unsure what to believe. He had not been taught too much about monsters yet. Maybe he should ask later. If he did not see one first, anyway.

"N-no, well... No, definitely not!" he squeaked. He did his best not to look scared, but fear was on his face by default at times. "Hey, w-wait for me!"

Suddenly, Syrus was taking off. He really would not slow down, at least not at first. With a startled yip, he took off ambling after Syrus. He hoped he could keep up with him. He could really make him feel both excited and worried at the same time. When Syrus slowed down, Indigo panted from the effort and slowed beside him. He tried to hide his uneven breathing but did not necessarily succeed.

At first, he did not understand why climbing down to the sand was such a difficult task. Why would it be so hard? Then he saw. It was a cliff. Tiny little Indigo peeped his puppy eyes over the ledge, wide and red at the sight. The distance from the top to the bottom was tenfold of his own body... Or no... That wasn't right. Possibly more. It was insurmountably large. The poor pup was completely intimidated.

He backed up quickly when Syrus drew close to the edge with a challenge. He wanted to join him and maybe try to show him what he could do, but the cliff's edge perilously crumbled away. Had Syrus' almost received an injury? Indigo could not exactly put to words the dread he felt then. Death was something he did not totally understand yet.

"Uh... Uh... No..." He gave an uneasy laugh with his friend, but a heavy weight carved a deep valley into his chest now. "Why don't we find a better way? Maybe a - a - lower hill? Maybe stairs? Rope? Dunno..." Maybe Syrus would have a better idea, but he thought to point out there could maybe be another way down. "It isn't too bad up here either?"

He looked outwards towards the water. The sun glanced off each wave with an astonishing prismatic transformation. His eyes widened. The sky was so much bigger here. The globe ground past the planet's skies, dragging the puffs of clouds and sun with it. The beginnings of the night's stars were beginning to blink into existence with tittering chimes.

"You were right, so cool," he murmured in a hushed tone.
Indigo Eternity

Toss your dirty shoes
Baby, bang it up inside

(Art by Viktory System)

Syrus watched Indigo expectantly as he awaited his answer, but deflated a little when his friend rejected the offer to try and get close to the edge of the cliff.

“Ah, okay.” He shrugged, frowning at bit at the ground. He stared out to the sun, which was melting into the horizon amid a mist of rose gold, magenta a variety of deepening blues. He nodded in agreement as Indigo advocated his earlier assertion.

“Yeah, zactly, right? I wish we can run down and touch it, or taste it! I bet where the sea is gold that the water tastes better, like milk!” Of course, Syrus could not tell the difference between this huge lake and the sea.

Then, as Indigo started listing alternative routes, Syrus’ big ears perked up. “Yeah, erm . . “ He again began creeping back towards the edge of the cliff, not wanting to have this limitation forced upon him. However, at this second glance over the sheer drop, Syrus conceded it was not possible to climb down. “Okay okay, finnne. Another way!”

He playfully bounced past Indigo, giving him a shoulder nudge on the way. “C’mon!”

He started anticlockwise around the coast, and before the edge of the land shallowed enough to allow a reasonable descent, the sun had already almost completely disappeared behind the looming horizon.

Syrus ran his nose close to the ground, catching a fading scent of a rabbit. The track led him to a part of the ground where a minute headland had partially collapsed into the water, into a huge pile of rocks.

“Bet monsters sound like that when they sleeping.” Whispered Syrus, suddenly standing still and listening to the puff and hiss of the waves being forced between small gaps in the rock. “Let’s go look!”

A strange thing to say when there was barely any light left. The sun was gone, but there was still a line of cyan lingering close to the horizon, offering just enough light to illuminate the white froth where the water forced itself against the blackened and slick rocks.

So slick that Syrus was caught off guard. As he leapt from the crumbling earth onto the slippery rock, all four paws slipped beneath him and he whacked his head on the rock with an audible, and embarrassingly hollow sound, before his small black form slithered down the rock into the foaming water and out of sight.

-----

WC: 400+

Sooty Lookin' Nuisance