[P] [M] Repainted in prism past
For Nicolas/Innokentiy

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Specifically, this thread is marked mature because of: Prizmov nonsense like murder and cult mentions and stuff probably.

OOC: Set in Egregore's tower.

The Witch Queen had accepted Egregore's family, but only at a cost. It was fortunately only material goods that were necessary to give... for now. Salsola's queendom could require more sacrifices of both Lev and Innokentiy in the future. Egregore was glad to have his cousin and brother with him, but he was not wholly certain whether they would sink or swim. And if he had another Associate that he sponsored fail the trial, he might never try that again. Blood and Mind would reassure Soul, but right now it was solely him in control. Innokentiy was comforting, but they did not know the parts of each other that had changed over the years yet. But first, Egregore had to more pressingly ensure that Lev and Innokentiy were not eaten up by piranhas in Salsola's ocean.

Lev and Innokentiy did not arrive with a large volume of belongings, so it was all sorted away in a relatively short amount of time. Soul felt a twinge of... something, when he saw that his personal affects far outnumbered theirs. The tower was an asset included in this. Very well, his home could be theirs. The idea of even Lev (who he liked less than his cousin) having to live in Millstone Village did not sit well with him. The idea of one or both of them failing the trial did not, either. Reyes would be removed from the pack soon, and he would have to hold himself back from killing him later for failing.

No, he would do better this time with these two.

"<You two,>" he said, "<come here. Now that you are settled, I must teach you of Salsola's ways. This queendom has more types of traps than the physical ones set at the border.">

He motioned for Innokentiy and Lev to take a seat in the parlor's chairs, one of which Egregore currently occupied already. Lev flopped down into one, arms folded and face stony.

"<Did you know that we, the Prizmovs, could be recognized officially as a House in Salsola? Your reputations will affect that. Do not make me disown you.>" The final sentence was primarily intended for Lev, who he glared at now. "<But first, are there any questions?">

Lev was silent, appearing to only pay half of his attention to his brother. He lazily turned his eyes on Innokentiy, giving them the floor.
[Image: egregore_by_jazzy_small.png]
[Image: red_moon.png] [Image: egg.png] [Image: blue_moon.png]

Our minds feel hate and flesh is willing
We hurt what lies between
One second passes and you're gone
Our weapons drawn but
Somehow these kills won't make us whole
We've sold our souls

Character WikiPlayer WikiAdopt Niko Prizmov!

[Image: 80x15_songbird.png] [Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png] [Image: plural_button.png]

(Art Credit)
When Egregore spoke in Russian, calling them forward, Innokentiy already knew what it would be about before he even spoke it.

“<Ah, ah, ah, cousin.>” They put one index finger up, responding in kind with the native tongue. “<Let me get the kettle on the fire, first.>” In their eyes, a wholly necessary interruption. This tea would be one made with the juice of blueberries—an excellent flavor that Innokentiy thought of as one of their favorites. They busied themself with this task for a few moments before finally relenting to obey their higher ranking blood, taking a seat with a relieved exhale as per usual on their worse pain days, of which today was one.

“<A House? Like in London? I hope not as dreadful with secrets and lies.>” Innokentiy smirked. It was a joke. They were under no impression that Salsolan Houses were any different, really. They glanced at Lev, then back to Egregore. “<I do have a question. Lev and I saw the stone altar. Will you explain more of the spiritual dealings that Salsola has? It would be horrible if we were to step on any toes in that regard.>”

Innokentiy knew that both Lev and Egregore had the same feelings about religion that they themself did. That is to say, it was complicated. None of them outright rejected magic or the teachings of their birth tribe, yet the underbelly that they had seen of it that had made them flee in the first place left them rattled. “<I’m assuming they do not have the same view of enlightenment. I haven’t seen any brains scattered about, to my knowledge.>”   They gave a dull chuckle, then… second guessed themself. The memories they had of their childhood were fuzzy… they couldn’t remember exactly why they said those words. Their birth cult had been violent… but why did they say those words, exactly? A thoughtful yet distant, disturbed look passed over their dual-colored eyes. 
(329)
[Image: Inno_art.png]
Innokentiy Prizmov
So many shades of white, so many shades of pale
I know how to cut a wound that will not heal

Innokentiy is plural. For more information, please view their wiki.

Character WikiPlayer Wiki
[Image: 80x15_songbird.png] [Image: they_them_by_agent_pits-d88i5w0.png] [Image: Dtcq29v.png]
(Art Credit)
"<Fine.>"

Innokentiy delayed Egregore's words for an extra pause, busying themself with brewing tea for the three of them. He huffed when he was interrupted, but tolerated it. He was going to make him tea too, after all. He glanced at Lev, who had a much more sour expression on his face. He wanted to slap his brother sometimes, but he did not want to humiliate him like that right now. There was no point if only Innokentiy saw, and they were distracted by their pain currently. He did not want to burden them with undue stress on top of that.

"<I hope not as dreadful with secrets and lies,>" Innokentiy had said, and: "<I’m assuming they do not have the same view of enlightenment. I haven’t seen any brains scattered about, to my knowledge.>"

Now it was Egregore's turn to make a face. It was not necessarily a scowl for Innokentiy, but his teeth were bared in an uncomfortable grimace. Sometimes one of them would relapse and cannibalize another canine, followed immediately by a scramble of confusion and flashbacks. He took a steadying breath. He did not want those same thoughts to hit him now.

"<There are secrets, gossip, lies, drama... Backstabbers.>" He looked pointedly at Lev, who narrowed his eyes a fraction in response. So you belong here, you fucking bastard.

"<Yet, all manner of religion is accepted here. There is no central or even common religion I've seen here. The faiths vary so widely. Khalifism, Mormonism, et cetera. Most I have not heard of before. We must find our own path with something new to believe in.>"

The topics of spirituality and religion were always stressful for Egregore on a whole. Mind may be less affected than Blood and even Soul, but it nagged at him still.

"<It's understood that you should try to be respectful of another's beliefs, even that strange 'Skybrothers' obsessed Warden, Nickodemus Sparhawk. In general, respect matters. Especially for those higher ranked than yourself. You must earn that by working for it or usurping someone.>"

He briefly explained the concepts of usurpation. It was a different type of work, but typically took less time. He briefly mentioned the rite of mateship allowing an Associate to rank into the Family, his colorful eyes grazing over Innokentiy's with purpose, but ultimately moved on.

"<Any questions so far?>"

Our weapons drawn but
We've sold our souls

[Image: 80x15_songbird.png] [Image: he_him_by_agent_pits-d88i5w6.png] [Image: plural_button.png]

(Art Credit)
As Egregore made a grimace in response to their strange words, the moment passed over them and Innokentiy simply decided to stop thinking about it. They took a breath in tandem with Egregore, exhaling out, the both of them decided it would not be talked about further—Egregore would only go onward to answer their question about Salsola, nothing more. They kept glancing over to check if the water was boiling yet (it was not) as they nonetheless took in all the information that their cousin had for them. These things were good to know.

Innokentiy did not have a habit of trusting strangers, or putting themself in a position where they might be on the wrong end of a backstabbing. However, as the Prizmovs were eccentric by nature Innokentiy got the feeling they would not avoid gossip so easily. Hopefully, the rumor mill would be kinder to them here than it was in London. As long as that was the case, they could deal with the occasional petty lie being spread about them.

Usurping… not an entirely foreign concept to Innokentiy, but it was rare in a culture that it would be spoken of out loud—made ‘real’ by the acknowledgment of others. As for mateship being away to up one’s status, that as well felt obvious to them. They noticed the way Egregore looked at them and knew it was because Lev wouldn’t ever bother with such a thing. Only Innokentiy would be willing to enter a mateship for the sole cause of loyalty to their family, wishing to see their status elevated.

“<I thought as much,>” Innokentiy replied when Egregore paused for questions. By now, finally, the water was indeed hot enough for Innokentiy to began pouring the tea and letting it brew. They spoke again only after they were done and put the kettle down to cool. “<Who would you recommend for such a mateship? And would you say this is a good environment to be raising children in?>”
(335)
Innokentiy Prizmov

[Image: 80x15_songbird.png] [Image: they_them_by_agent_pits-d88i5w0.png] [Image: Dtcq29v.png]
(Art Credit)
Lev was hardly listening, as always. He rolled his eyes and huffed, arms crossed. He had been betrothed once previously, and it was a terrible, awful thing. He grimaced at the memory. It was a painful enough ordeal that he was even reconsidering entering a relationship with anyone ever again. Egregore spoke of how mateship promoted oneself within the pack, and it just made Lev's blood boil. He knew it was for the best, but couldn't Innokentiy do it?

Egregore smiled like a shark, evidently excited to have opened a window of opportunity with regard to his cousin. They asked the question with such a serious air that Egregore wasn't even sure they understood the information. They had always been exceedingly loyal, but loyal enough that they would marry a stranger? No. He would not have that.

"<I could trust none other than myself to be your mate, Innokentiy. We need to strengthen our bond to our family. Please consider it, you have time.>"

It took everything in him not to spill forth more professions. These words were manufactured to smooth over his ulterior motive, yet he was aware of how forward it may sound. This was not an official proposal. He could not have the strength to do that until he knew Innokentiy wanted it. If this were to be a political move as well, it needed to be planned anyway. He just could not deny to himselves how much he loved and admired his cousin.

"<Salsola values our youth. We see in them not just potential, but the only way forward into the future. The queen especially has a soft spot for protecting them.>"

It was an important reassurance to give. The lands that they had grown up in, the three of them, were terribly dangerous. This was only truer the more vulnerable you were. He wanted his children to be sheltered from dangers like these, and he could never forgive himself if he failed in that regard. He was positive Innokentiy felt the same way.

"<Any other questions?>"

Our weapons drawn but
We've sold our souls

(Art Credit)
This answer had not come entirely unexpected, yet Innokentiy still gave pause. They watched their tea brew on with each second dragging on slower and slower. “<I will consider it.>” They gave the answer simply, and then in their head made good on this promise. It was true that of all the Salsolans Innokentiy had made acquaintance with so far, either they were not as trustworthy as Innokentiy would like or they were otherwise already wrapped up in their own families and engagements. Strengthening their family could be made much easier by entering a relationship with their cousin.

Innokentiy was aware it might look strange, given that they shared surnames to begin with, people might assume they were more closely related blood-wise than they were. While it hadn’t been anything to even think of in Russia, in London marriage and mating between those that were tied by blood had been frowned upon by some, from what Innokentiy had seen. Although it had always been for pretty petty reasons in their eyes: once they had heard an opinion that only the ‘elite’ should get to marry their blood. They’d found it increasingly more strange than those that opposed blood related mateships altogether.

Innokentiy trusted that Egregore would not suggest this to them if the prejudice was widespread within Salsola. So the only matter to really consider there on, was if they would truly be happy in such a relationship with Egregore.

That they could not bring themself to answer so soon. They surely held love for their cousin and had always been his biggest supporter. They did not know what would be the cost of making that support cover more areas of their life, such as potential children. They hummed to themself in thought as Egregore went onto explain that the Thistle Kingdom would be an ideal place to raise children.

“<I will consider it.>” They repeated themself now, nodding along as they offered up the now ready to drink tea. “<I don’t have any other questions at this time.>”
(343)
Innokentiy Prizmov

(Art Credit)